PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Florida State (Jan 12, 2019)

JBDuke
01-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over Florida State this afternoon?

JBDuke
01-12-2019, 04:28 PM
IMO, Cam was the hero of the moment, but RJ was MOTM.

Bob Green
01-12-2019, 04:32 PM
A really tough decision but I went with Reddish and his 5-8 shooting on 3 PT FGs including the game winner! RJ Barrett was equally impressive.

westwall
01-12-2019, 04:37 PM
IMO, Cam was the hero of the moment, but RJ was MOTM.

Hard to argue— RJ was the best player — but this still was Cam’s coming out game, in many ways.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-12-2019, 04:41 PM
RJ had a great game, but Cam hit the game winning shot! And he had 23 total.

My third choice is Zeyeon.

buddy
01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Emotional vote for Cam. He really needed this game, and hitting the game winner may help him get over the hump. Barrett kept us in the game, but if he doesn't miss the foul shot we play overtime (maybe). Turned out well, but big time players must hit big time shots.

Native
01-12-2019, 04:44 PM
RJ got us to the finish line and Cam pulled us over it. Got to give it to Cam just based on what this could mean for his development for the rest of the season. So proud of our guys — what a gutty win.

DoWorkDukie
01-12-2019, 04:45 PM
This feels obvious

kAzE
01-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Cam deserves every vote he gets, but my vote still goes to RJ for keeping us in the game. The guy was a machine, and refused to let us go down without a fight. Loved everything about RJ's performance in the 2nd half, when we really needed him to take over.

flyingdutchdevil
01-12-2019, 04:47 PM
This feels obvious

Agreed. Surprised RJ with 25%

DDoc74
01-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Cam cam cam cam cam
Tremendous game
The boy is back

dukie’s_daughter
01-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Cam deserves every vote he gets, but my vote still goes to RJ for keeping us in the game. The guy was a machine, and refused to let us go down without a fight. Loved everything about RJ's performance in the 2nd half, when we really needed him to take over.

I agree with this 100%!

“MEN” of the match... Can I vote for K for his last play call?

jv001
01-12-2019, 05:00 PM
Did Austin Rivers win MOTM in his game winning shot against the cheats? Probably. Cam for hitting the biggest shot in his young career. GoCam and GoDuke!

devildeac
01-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Did Austin Rivers win MOTM in his game winning shot against the cheats? Probably. Cam for hitting the biggest shot in his young career. GoCam and GoDuke!

IIRC, that poll had 2 choices:

Austin Rivers

Someone else (and you'd better have a really good reason)

camion
01-12-2019, 05:06 PM
I gotta give this one to Cam. I just gotta.

RJ played great.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-12-2019, 05:08 PM
I can't vote one over the other......they were both so terrific.....and how about using RJ as a decoy with the game on the line? BRILLIANT.

Furniture
01-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Here you go...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27483-MOTM-Duke-vs-UNC-(Feb-8-2012)

Devilwin
01-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Voted for RJ. Would have voted for Cam but his turnover on the sideline at crunch time and foul on the 3 pointer may have detracted a bit for me. Still a great outing for the kid and I am glad to see him getting it together. Hope Zion will be ok..

rthomas
01-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Game winning shot.

SavDukeGrad
01-12-2019, 05:55 PM
I voted for Cam. But I just noticed in the stats that RJ (and Tre) played 40 minutes. That’s really impressive in a game like this that was so physical.

Truth&Justise
01-12-2019, 06:01 PM
I voted for RJ. When FSU threatened to open a big lead in the second half, RJ put the team on his back and kept us in the game. His consistent offense put us in a position to win.

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Here you go...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?27483-MOTM-Duke-vs-UNC-(Feb-8-2012)

I abstained from that vote because it was so skewed. I still have the option, ha!

DukieInBrasil
01-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Game winner, nuff said.

Wander
01-12-2019, 06:17 PM
If we're being 100% dispassionate and mathematical, Cam's last minute is neutral... the shot cancels out the turnover and foul.

But, that's not how this thing works... Cam gets it because of the history of his season so far and what his game today could mean going forward.

kako
01-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Barrett carried the team. Duke would have lost without him. But Reddish had a great game as well, and he hit *the* shot. Reddish gets my vote.

Ggallagher
01-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Had to go with RJ. Cam was definitely the hero, and I was really happy to see him do so well today. But RJ carried the heavy load throughout the game. And I felt like it was the combination of RJ's performance throughout the game, and the well planned and executed play - that allowed Cam to be standing there with a wide open shot at the end. So glad that he sank it.

And like everyone else, I really love this team.

Reddevil
01-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Barrett played a man's game for 40 minutes. Reddish made some big shots, but Barrett made it possible for Duke to be in the position to win.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-12-2019, 07:32 PM
If we're being 100% dispassionate and mathematical, Cam's last minute is neutral... the shot cancels out the turnover and foul.

But, that's not how this thing works... Cam gets it because of the history of his season so far and what his game today could mean going forward.

Cam also gets it - because that foul was a BS call. Cam didn't foul him. He merely got called for the foul. Awful awful call.

JNort
01-12-2019, 07:48 PM
I was gonna vote Cam even before the game winner so that shot makes it even easier.

JNort
01-12-2019, 07:53 PM
I abstained from that vote because it was so skewed. I still have the option, ha!

Lol I think it's still the only unanimous decision we've ever had. He carried us that entire game ala RJ today plus the Cam game winner. In fact his was a true buzzer beater as underdogs and against those guys while in the dump with one of the best comebacks I've ever seen (Thanks Zeller!). Truly a masterpiece.

Devilwin
01-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Cam had an awesome game, but let's not forget he missed several free throws..Make a couple and we don't need the heroics. But still I am pleased to see him do so well.

Saratoga2
01-12-2019, 11:08 PM
To me RJ was the most valuable and tough player with Cam also doing a great job.

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Curious as to the reasoning for the Zion vote.

elvis14
01-13-2019, 12:17 AM
Here you go...

Thanks for posting that. I voted in that MOTM. It was cool seeing all the usernames, some of which we don't hear from anymore.

Voted for RJ. Would have voted for Cam but his turnover on the sideline at crunch time and foul on the 3 pointer may have detracted a bit for me. Still a great outing for the kid and I am glad to see him getting it together. Hope Zion will be ok..

That turnover wasn't on Cam, it was a bad pass from Tre.

I gotta give this one to Cam. I just gotta.

RJ played great.

Well said camion.

Devilwin
01-13-2019, 05:49 AM
I think that many of us voted in the afterglow of "the shot". While Cam was simply fantastic for much of the game, it was RJ that shouldered most of the attack load that kept us close. That being said, I cannot fault those that voted for Cam, I almost did myself. But this is Man Of The Match, not of The Shot. But again, it would be easy to vote for either one, it was that close..Just glad when we needed both kids to step up when Zion went down, and they did..

fathippo
01-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Tough call. Cam and RJ both deserve it but having one vote I voted for RJ. He carried the team on offense to keep the game close in the second half. His 32 were the most points scored by a freshman on the road under Coach K.

subzero02
01-13-2019, 09:39 AM
I voted for Reddish. A confident Cam makes us that much more potent offensively; especially in the half court if opponents choose to clog the lane.

budwom
01-13-2019, 09:42 AM
Cam also gets it - because that foul was a BS call. Cam didn't foul him. He merely got called for the foul. Awful awful call.

I didn't like the call when I first saw it, but when I looked at the replay, it definitely looked like Cam leaned into him. Had he stayed vertical, I don't think it would (or should) have been a foul.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-13-2019, 09:43 AM
I think that many of us voted in the afterglow of "the shot". While Cam was simply fantastic for much of the game, it was RJ that shouldered most of the attack load that kept us close. That being said, I cannot fault those that voted for Cam, I almost did myself. But this is Man Of The Match, not of The Shot. But again, it would be easy to vote for either one, it was that close..Just glad when we needed both kids to step up when Zion went down, and they did..

Here's the thing....this topic is subjective as much or more than objective. MOTM can mean any number of things. Does it mean MVP for the game? Does it mean who was 'the story' of the game? Or something else? Was Cam the overall MVP of the game? No, RJ was, and thus a vote for him is totally logical. Was Cam the story of the game? No doubt about it, for two huge reasons - so that vote is great too.

It depends on the voter individually, which is great to me. I often vote differently in these polls, with well over 100 voters, and 35 or so chances to vote, than I would if I were the lone vote, casting it one time per season.

budwom
01-13-2019, 09:48 AM
Per my conversation with Carlos yesterday, Javin got as many votes here as he got rebounds.
Might have a stiff neck from watching all those lobs sail over his head. Time for the Icy Patch!

Bob Green
01-13-2019, 10:22 AM
For those who are really torn between Cam Reddish and R.J. Barrett for MOTM, there is always a poll at the bottom of the game story on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2019/1/12/18178074/duke-wins-a-thriller-at-florida-state-80-78-blue-devils-acc

One can vote for Cam in one poll and R.J. in the other. Personally, I voted for Cam twice.

moonpie23
01-13-2019, 10:38 AM
to bad coach K wasn't on the list........he lined it up for Cam to get his mojo back.....if anyone here doesn't recognize what kind of move that was yesterday, then you're not paying attention to the long game....

HereBeforeCoachK
01-13-2019, 10:40 AM
to bad coach K wasn't on the list....he lined it up for Cam to get his mojo back....if anyone here doesn't recognize what kind of move that was yesterday, then you're not paying attention to the long game...

No disrespect, but I think that falls under the Captain Obvious heading. I think everyone here is fully aware of this......

DU82
01-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Of course, there’s Zion, who purposely fouled the FSU player’s hand with his eye (although the refs missed the call) and sit out the rest of the game, so that RJ would have to carry the load, and Cam could regain the confidence he’d lost reading DBR threads. What a teammate!

Devilwin
01-13-2019, 03:48 PM
How bout Jack? He got his leg out of the way of the intended save! It hits him, it's over..

budwom
01-15-2019, 02:03 PM
I thought I would resurrect this thread (briefly) to reflect the comment Wilbon made last night on PTI. (FWIW, I like Wilbon, and my attitude on Vitale is that I appreciate his contributions to the game and to cancer awareness, but
I just can't listen to him on a broadcast any more). Many still enjoy him, fine by me.

Wilbon, in discussing the end of the FSU game, pointedly noted that (with voice raised, and I paraphrase ) THOSE PEOPLE WHO CRITICIZE DICK VITALE FOR YELLING NEED TO ACKNOWLEDGE HE HAD
THAT FINAL PLAY CALLED EXACTLY RIGHT, DUKE SET A SCREEN EXPRESSLY FOR CAM REDDISH AND HE NAILED THE SHOT."

I definitely got a chuckle out of that.

slower
01-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Wrong thread. Was voting for Zion for Syracuse, not FSU.

JBDuke
01-16-2019, 12:25 AM

IIRC, that poll had 2 choices:

Austin Rivers

Someone else (and you'd better have a really good reason)

Here you go...

Lol I think it's still the only unanimous decision we've ever had. He carried us that entire game ala RJ today plus the Cam game winner. In fact his was a true buzzer beater as underdogs and against those guys while in the dump with one of the best comebacks I've ever seen (Thanks Zeller!). Truly a masterpiece.

So, I'm the one that set up the MOTM poll for the Austin Rivers game in 2012 and the FSU game with Cam's winning shot.

In the Carolina game, Austin didn't just hit the winning shot - he was also Duke's leading scorer with 29 points. After him, Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly had 15 each, so he was nearly double the closest teammate in points. He went 6-10 from 3, 9-16 overall on a night when the team hit well under those marks. He was also second on the team in rebounds, after Mason's 14. He carried the team on offense all night AND hit the winning shot. He was clearly the only viable candidate for MOTM.

In the FSU game, RJ scored 32 of Duke's 80 points, shot over 50% from the floor and from 3, made 8-9 FTs, and played all 40 minutes. Yes, Cam had the winning shot, scored 23 points, and shot well from both 2 and 3 point range, and he was certainly the Man of the Moment. Clearly, a solid argument can be made that RJ was the Man of the Match.