PDA

View Full Version : Coach K's (apparently) talking up Tre for DPOY. Who do we see as competition?

scottdude8
01-06-2019, 05:02 PM
The ESPN crew mentioned this a couple times during the telecast last night (along with some odd discussion of whether Tre was over or under six feet tall, but it was a Dickie V game so that seemed normal relatively speaking, haha). That got me thinking: who else are top candidates for DPOY as we get into conference play?

From my CBB watching two players have sticked out, and (surprise surprise!) they're Wolverines: Zavier Simpson and Jon Teske. While it may sound like me being a homer, I think both are more than viable candidates considering Michigan has arguably the best defense amongst the top teams in the nation. As much as I adore Tre's D, Zavier's is arguably better from the PG spot (all the more impressive consdiering Zavier is definitely under 6 feet, unlike that weird discussion about Tre's height, haha)... and Teske has been a shot-altering, blocking, and rebounding machine as a 7-foot-1 behemoth at the rim (not to mention that he guards the pick and roll better than any 7 footer I can remember).

The only other guy I can think of is Texas Tech's Jarrett Culver... if he hadn't been so injured Kansas' Azubuike might also be a candidate. And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Zion starts getting some love the way he blocks shots.

FWIW, according to Fox Sports (https://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/stats?season=2018&category=ADVANCED&group=2&sort=5&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0), Zion, Teske and Culver are all in the Top 10 in defensive rating (along with what seems like the entire Texas Tech team, haha). Zavier is at #20, while Tre (surprisingly) isn't in the Top 50 (meanwhile, Cam and Marques are, so maybe these rankings need to be taken with a grain of salt). Another guy who could be in the running based off of team reputation and is high on this list is Ty Jerome of UVA.

But there hasn't been anyone dominating the conversation nationally like there has the past few years with WVU's Jevon Carter as far as I can tell (being in Canada cuts me off a little bit from the talking heads, haha). Anyone else I'm missing? And what do we think Tre's odds are?

BandAlum83
01-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Great thread topic. I, too, think K is promoting Tre as DPOY. I look forward to the contributions to this thread. As far as being in Canada and missing discussion on this, I don’t think you are. In fact, last night’s game is the first I’ve heard anyone mention the award. I listen to a lot of college BBall podcasts also.

CDu
01-06-2019, 05:14 PM
Worth noting that Duke’s defense has technically been better than UM’s. Though it is very close.

I would include Brandon Clarke from Gonzaga and someone from UVa.

NSDukeFan
01-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Worth noting that Duke’s defense has technically been better than UM’s. Though it is very close.

Or do you mean everyone from UVa? 😀

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Only two freshmen have won the award. Greg Oden, and Anthony Davis. (AD was also POY)
IF Jones were to win it, he would be Duke's (and K's) 10th. Tommy Amaker was the first player to win the honor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NABC_Defensive_Player_of_the_Year

JasonEvans
01-07-2019, 10:55 AM

Yeah, Brandon Clarke is a shot blocking phenom. I feel like Virginia's best defender is probably Ty Jerome, but it really is a team thing with them at this point. Isaiah Wilkins ain't walking through that door.

CDu
01-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Yeah, Brandon Clarke is a shot blocking phenom. I feel like Virginia's best defender is probably Ty Jerome, but it really is a team thing with them at this point. Isaiah Wilkins ain't walking through that door.

He's also in the 92nd percentile in steals and over 80th percentile in defensive rebounds. He'll be hurt of course by being out west AND playing for Gonzaga and getting no more national exposure though. But he's the guy that probably should win it as of right now.

I agree that it is the system that makes UVa's defense great. But I'd guess somebody will be in the running from there just because.

Kylor Kelley (3.9 blocks per game and the highest block percentage in the country) will suffer from the West Coast issue too playing for Oregon State, along with not being able to stay on the floor for enough minutes.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-07-2019, 02:58 PM

....and how hated would Ty Jerome be nationally if he wore DUKE across his jersey?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-07-2019, 03:17 PM
I remember hearing or reading that K said that Tre came to him and asked "what do I have to do to become the NDPOY?" It may have been in the ESPN Earn Everything feature, but I'm not sure. I also don't remember K's answer. CRS disease sucks!:cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

CameronBornAndBred
01-07-2019, 03:42 PM
I remember hearing or reading that K said that Tre came to him and asked "what do I have to do to become the NDPOY?" It may have been in the ESPN Earn Everything feature, but I'm not sure. I also don't remember K's answer. CRS disease sucks!:cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Assuming that's true, that is even cooler than K pushing for it. Seeing a guy come in with that drive, wanting to make something like that happen and asking what it will take is awesome.