Called up to national team.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211785300

<resists urge to not rant about the US soccer organization>

Congratulations. That's a huge honor.

MCFinARL
01-02-2019, 09:26 AM
<resists urge to not rant about the US soccer organization>

Congratulations. That's a huge honor.

But actually, I don't think you did resist the urge to "not rant about the US soccer organization"--because you didn't rant about the US soccer organization. ;)

burnspbesq
01-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Great recognition for Jeremy. One wonders if it happened, at least in part, because the $73 million kid (who, according to legend, once verbally committed to Duke) and the other Bundesliga kids were not called in.

CDu
01-02-2019, 08:17 PM
Great recognition for Jeremy. One wonders if it happened, at least in part, because the $73 million kid (who, according to legend, once verbally committed to Duke) and the other Bundesliga kids were not called in.

Yes, obviously the camp is missing its best players. Those in the Premier League, Bundesliga, and other European leagues aren’t available in January. Probably 10-15 key players are, as a result, not in camp right now. Still, a nice opportunity to carve out a role for some of the many new faces.

Likely few of the new faces will stick once the many guys in Europe finish or hit the international window of their seasons. But you never know.

uh_no
01-02-2019, 08:29 PM
Yes, obviously the camp is missing its best players. Those in the Premier League, Bundesliga, and other European leagues aren’t available in January. Probably 10-15 key players are, as a result, not in camp right now. Still, a nice opportunity to carve out a role for some of the many new faces.

Likely few of the new faces will stick once the many guys in Europe finish or hit the international window of their seasons. But you never know.

getting his first callup at 21, he has a short window of opportunity to make his way into being a regular on the team. The kind of guys he's competing against....tim weah, josh sargent are both 18 and playing in europe.

Not that he can't do it, but if you're getting your first callup at 21 (in the current climate), you're already a huge step behind, and for better or worse, there are very few young players of the kind of quality that will start for the MNT moving forward that aren't already in, or clamoring to get to europe.

I mentioned weah and sargent, but there's also weston Mckennie, pulisic, adams, cameron carter vickers 20 and under playing in europe with multiple caps.

Getting called up is the first step. There isn't any reason he won't get minutes in one of the friendlies. I hope he kicks butt.

CDu
01-03-2019, 02:42 PM
getting his first callup at 21, he has a short window of opportunity to make his way into being a regular on the team. The kind of guys he's competing against...tim weah, josh sargent are both 18 and playing in europe.

Not that he can't do it, but if you're getting your first callup at 21 (in the current climate), you're already a huge step behind, and for better or worse, there are very few young players of the kind of quality that will start for the MNT moving forward that aren't already in, or clamoring to get to europe.

I mentioned weah and sargent, but there's also weston Mckennie, pulisic, adams, cameron carter vickers 20 and under playing in europe with multiple caps.

Getting called up is the first step. There isn't any reason he won't get minutes in one of the friendlies. I hope he kicks butt.

I mostly agree, though I wouldn't say getting called up for the first time at 21 is necessarily a huge red flag. While it is true that we've had a number of recent teenager call-ups, that's not the norm for the US. Plenty of contributors didn't get called up until 21 or later. Clint Dempsey is a nice example of a guy who didn't join the national team until 21 and had a really nice career.

That being said, I agree that the odds are long for Ebobisse and most of the guys currently in camp. I mentioned above, but at least 10 or 15 of the guys whom we expect to be national team regulars are currently still with their European clubs. So obviously when they become available again a lot of these guys will drop back to the background. I wouldn't consider McKennie, Adams, Carter-Vickers relevant in the Ebobisse discussion as they are defensive middies or defenders whereas Ebobisse is a striker. To a lesser degree this would also apply to Weah (a winger) and Pulicic (capable of playing anywhere from midfield to striker). But Ebobisse is definitely behind guys like Sargent and Novakovich, not to mention guys like Wood (26) and Morris (24). Thankfully, striker is one of our least deep positions, so as far as opportunity goes, that's one of the better spots to make a bid.

But, yes, the odds are pretty long that Ebobisse will stick. Still, he has been given an opportunity, and striker is one of those positions where timing can be everything.

evrim
01-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Getting called up to NT at age 21 is a red flag? In what world?

thedukelamere
01-03-2019, 04:07 PM

Kobe? :cool:

uh_no
01-03-2019, 07:17 PM

don't put words in people's mouths.

Nobody said it was a red flag, just that he is facing an uphill battle against guys who are either younger or more experienced than he, which is absolutely true. I'd put his chances of ever getting called in for a tournament game at <30%. His chances for a WCQ even less.

burnspbesq
01-03-2019, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=thedukelamere;1112682]Kobe? :cool:

Pulisic

burnspbesq
01-03-2019, 10:02 PM

In contemporary football. Pulisic is 20, and is in his fourth season in the Bundesliga. Sargent and Weah are 18. Antonee Robinson is 20, and his window of opportunity is closing rapidly because he’s third on the left-back depth chart at Everton and can’t get any PT in the Premier League.

21 isn’t exactly ancient, but 21-year-old prospects are few and far between. Not getting called up until 21 is a flag.

Ranidad
01-27-2019, 08:07 PM
I just flipped on the USA-Panama friendly (not 100% sure it is live) an saw Ebobisse in the starting lineup for the game.

AustinDevil
01-28-2019, 10:35 PM
I just flipped on the USA-Panama friendly (not 100% sure it is live) an saw Ebobisse in the starting lineup for the game.

It was live. We looked pretty good but Panama was even greener than we were (only two of their World-Cup-flameout roster started this one). Ebobisse earned decent if not great player ratings and played 66 of the 90 minutes.

uh_no
01-28-2019, 10:40 PM
It was live. We looked pretty good but Panama was even greener than we were (only two of their World-Cup-flameout roster started this one). Ebobisse earned decent if not great player ratings and played 66 of the 90 minutes.

haven't seen any ratings for the game, but he was definitely very active and did a pretty good job. It was nice to see some purposeful play on the pitch, even if it was against a weak side.

I'm really disappointed we snubbed the copa, as I feel regular play against the kind of side we want to be is required to get to being the side we ultimately want to be, and you largely don't get that in CONCACAF (which makes our failure to qualify that much more embarrassing)

It's still a long shot for him to make the GC squad, but he did what he needed.

Hingeknocker
01-29-2019, 11:01 AM
Just catching up on this thread after watching the US/Panama game over the weekend. Ebobisse looked decent, for playing out of his normal position. He should have had an assist on a chance that Zardes absolutely wasted. I agree with the others that he's almost certainly not a long-term member of the USMNT, but I do hope these games give him some extra confidence for his club team. He was a pretty hyped player coming out of the youth national teams and his time at Duke, but only towards the end of last year did he put things together in Portland. Hopefully he gets more of a chance and starts scoring a bunch of goals in MLS.

But the lede got buried earlier in the thread....did Christian Pulisic seriously verbally commit to Duke back in the day? I 100% believe this, and is now canon, as far as I'm concerned.