PDA

View Full Version : Next year's QB?

longtimedevil
12-31-2018, 05:04 PM
Who is in the pipeline to start at QB next year?

Acymetric
12-31-2018, 05:23 PM
Almost certainly Harris. I guess Homlberg is the dark horse but I'd guess he plays backup one more year.

jimsumner
12-31-2018, 05:34 PM
It will be interesting to see if Duke pursues any of the grad-student-transfer options.

Cut's history at Duke suggests not. But Cut has never had to replace a QB of Jones' stature, not at Duke.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 05:36 PM
It will be interesting to see if Duke pursues any of the grad-student-transfer options.

Cut's history at Duke suggests not. But Cut has never had to replace a QB of Jones' stature, not at Duke.

Crossed my mind too. Who is on your radar as far as grad transfer QBs?

Also, I'd also like to see what QH can do with a steady gig. He does a few things really well.....things you can't coach like speed and long ball......while his erratic throws on short and medium throws seems coachable. I've no idea what kind of decision maker he is.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-31-2018, 05:38 PM

I've wondered the same thing. This is a unique situation which could make for some unique opportunities. ;)

duke2x
12-31-2018, 06:35 PM
Crossed my mind too. Who is on your radar as far as grad transfer QBs?

Also, I'd also like to see what QH can do with a steady gig. He does a few things really well....things you can't coach like speed and long ball...while his erratic throws on short and medium throws seems coachable. I've no idea what kind of decision maker he is.

Harris impressed me with his play against Baylor once he actually practiced with the starters. Cut's MO is usually to put the QB heir apparent into a limited play package rather than having 2 seniors. You could make a persuasive argument for free agent seniors in several other positions before QB.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 06:37 PM
I am comfortable with Harris, he showed poise and great leadership. He has stepped in to difficult circumstances and performed admirably,

If someone can beat him out, well — go for it. But I doubt we will see a first-time starter against Alabama.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-31-2018, 06:39 PM
I am comfortable with Harris, he showed poise and great leadership.

If someone can beat him out, well — go for it.

There may be two halves to this season.....time will tell.

Bob Green
12-31-2018, 06:39 PM
You could make a persuasive argument for free agent seniors in several other positions before QB.

Offensive tackle and wide receiver immediately come to mind.

Devilwin
12-31-2018, 06:57 PM
I am comfortable with Harris, he showed poise and great leadership. He has stepped in to difficult circumstances and performed admirably,

If someone can beat him out, well — go for it. But I doubt we will see a first-time starter against Alabama.

Agree 100% with this. Harris did a fine job for the most part, and unless we get a great transfer, I don't see anyone better to start.:cool:

fuse
01-01-2019, 01:00 AM
My money is on Harris with someone in the Connette package.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2019, 07:51 AM

Agreed, though I wish that "package" would get lost in the mail.....

sagegrouse
01-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Go out there and play this spring and see who's the best quarterback on the team. The contenders:

NO Name POS HT WT Class Hometown
18 Quentin Harris QB 6' 1" 195 lbs JR Wilton, CT
12 Gunnar Holmberg QB 6' 3" 190 lbs FR Wake Forest, NC
15 Chris Katrenick QB 6' 3" 215 lbs FR Algonquin, IL

TKG
01-01-2019, 09:08 AM

With a heavy dose of my personal favorite: the bubble screen!

dukebballcamper90-91
01-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Bryant or Hurts , please lure of these guys. I think Cut could help those guys become ready for the next level.

6th Man
01-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Hurts to open up against Bama next year. Lol!!!

MChambers
01-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Literally.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Literally.

Everybody Hurts.

NSDukeFan
01-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Everybody Hurts.
Sometimes.

killerleft
01-01-2019, 11:26 AM

I'm with you, but I hope the "package" is more accurately called the Jones Package. Q running more, the Package Guy passing more.

fuse
01-01-2019, 11:30 AM
I'm with you, but I hope the "package" is more accurately called the Jones Package. Q running more, the Package Guy passing more.

From upthread, not really having seen much of either, the tale of the tape says Katernick has the Connette / Sirk plow ahead physique.

As another has mentioned, reading notes out of spring practice will be fun.

Also, in Q’s defense, he showed a pretty good touch on the long ball.

Reilly
01-01-2019, 12:03 PM
With a heavy dose of my personal favorite: the bubble screen!

T.J. Rahming is not slipping under that door ...

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2019, 01:23 PM
From upthread, not really having seen much of either, the tale of the tape says Katernick has the Connette / Sirk plow ahead physique.

Q probably threw more good deep balls by percentage than DJ did....though of course a small sample of work. A couple of his were some of the best we had all year. As for the Sirk/Connette thing....I don't think Connette had Sirk's speed, and I'm not sure Gunnar or Katrenick do either. I'm not sure they don't as well. I know QH has good speed and quickness.

jimsumner
01-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Bryant or Hurts , please lure of these guys. I think Cut could help those guys become ready for the next level.

Kelly Bryant is off the market. He's going to Missouri.

CameronBornAndBred
01-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Q probably threw more good deep balls by percentage than DJ did...though of course a small sample of work. A couple of his were some of the best we had all year. As for the Sirk/Connette thing...I don't think Connette had Sirk's speed, and I'm not sure Gunnar or Katrenick do either. I'm not sure they don't as well. I know QH has good speed and quickness.

When we saw Gunnar take off on that long carry of his, I thought to myself "we're gonna see more of that next season". Of course, Harris is a good runner too, so maybe not. I think if we are going to use plays that highlight quarterback mobility, using two is a smart idea. It cuts down on the potential for injury to the starter.

jimsumner
01-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Assuming the absence of a transfer, I would expect to see Harris start the first game.

But he's going to have to earn it.

Let's go back a few years. Incumbent starter Thomas Sirk re-injures his Achilles and is ruled out for the season.

Duke has one experienced QB on its roster, Parker Boehme. He has had some success, a 248-yard passing game against Pitt, a TD pass against Virginia, some demonstrated running ability.

But Cut did not hesitate at all. He started a redshirt freshman from day one and never looked back, even when that redshirt freshman looked like a redshirt freshman.

Now, I realize this isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. I hope Harris is better than Boehme and as much as I would hope Holmberg turns out to be as good as Jones, that might be a reach.

But it does suggest that Cutcliffe will go with whomever wins the job. Harris isn't going to be grandfathered into the starting spot.

cbarry
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Kelly Bryant is off the market. He's going to Missouri.

Phew! I hadn't kept up with him recently, but for awhile, he was hanging out with UNC quite a bit. I was thinking they were going to land Bryant. That would have been quite the coup for the bad guys in Chapel Hill.
Glad Bryant is going to somewhere other than UNC!

Bob Green
01-01-2019, 05:09 PM
But it does suggest that Cutcliffe will go with whomever wins the job. Harris isn't going to be grandfathered into the starting spot.

Which will make for an interesting Spring Practice and Spring Showcase. Competition makes the team stronger.

killerleft
01-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Coach Cut seems hell-bent on having a special QB package inside the opponents ten.

I don't have an opinion on the attributes of the likely back-ups. But Harris can run for himself, and I'm sick and tired of the Connette package.
The package (at least how I'd do it, and it seems to me Cut does) consists of a few plays probably practiced to death. Why not make them passing plays much more often? Especially since Quentin has shown a puzzling penchant for missing receivers unless they're at a fair distance from him.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Coach Cut seems hell-bent on having a special QB package inside the opponents ten.

I don't have an opinion on the attributes of the likely back-ups. But Harris can run for himself, and I'm sick and tired of the Connette package.
The package (at least how I'd do it, and it seems to me Cut does) consists of a few plays probably practiced to death. Why not make them passing plays much more often? Especially since Quentin has shown a puzzling penchant for missing receivers unless they're at a fair distance from him.

Amen killer and preach it! I can understand having the package available, to use on special occasions, perhaps when you get the ball in the red zone but are struggling on offense in general, but I simply cannot fathom the thinking of A: having the regular QB as a wasted WR player and B: going to this after the team has rolled down the field 60-70-80 yards with great momentum. I love and support Cut, but this thing is and always has been a head scratcher to me. I've never seen it work except in situations when the offense was really rolling anyway. I think we've all seen it kill drives.

killerleft
01-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Amen killer and preach it! I can understand having the package available, to use on special occasions, perhaps when you get the ball in the red zone but are struggling on offense in general, but I simply cannot fathom the thinking of A: having the regular QB as a wasted WR player and B: going to this after the team has rolled down the field 60-70-80 yards with great momentum. I love and support Cut, but this thing is and always has been a head scratcher to me. I've never seen it work except in situations when the offense was really rolling anyway. I think we've all seen it kill drives.

Amen back at you! We are not alone.

jimsumner
01-01-2019, 07:01 PM
The Connette package was pretty darn good when Connette was running it.

Since then? I'm sure Duke has stats on this and wouldn't keep running it if it didn't make sense. Football coaches are like insurance actuaries. They know the odds of everything. It seems to me that Harris has been very effective on short-yardage plays outside the red zone, not so much close to the goal line.

And Sirk also was effective.

But again, that's just impressionistic. I don't have the data to support that.

But Cut has said many times that will not recruit a QB who cannot run. We live in an RPO world.

uh_no
01-01-2019, 08:34 PM
The Connette package was pretty darn good when Connette was running it.

you beat me to it. if I recall, we were perfect in goal to go scenarios for a large portion of that season...

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2019, 10:12 PM
you beat me to it. if I recall, we were perfect in goal to go scenarios for a large portion of that season...

That season was the best one, when it was new, and not every team in the ACC knew exactly what Duke was going to do. Late in the season it's percentage was much lower. But even when it worked, I never thought it scored on a drive that wasn't headed for the end zone anyway.

It's been a QB keeper almost every single time....maybe thrown 3-4 jump passes off of it....don't remember us doing any this season.....and then the variation they ran against Temple out in the middle of the field. That was kind of neat, but that wasn't a red zone situation.

Duke76
01-01-2019, 10:25 PM

how about Justin Fields...he'd have at least 3 years of eligibility ,,,,Coach would love coaching him

jimsumner
01-01-2019, 11:08 PM
how about Justin Fields...he'd have at least 3 years of eligibility ,,,,Coach would love coaching him

But he would likely not be eligible next season.

JasonEvans
01-02-2019, 08:08 AM
But he would likely not be eligible next season.

Actually, if he does leave UGA, Fields is likely to apply for immediate eligibility (https://www.12up.com/posts/6250694-justin-fields-could-be-immediately-eligible-if-he-leaves-georgia-for-ohio-state) because he was subject to racist taunts when he was at UGA and he will claim that is why he is looking for a new school.

Fields was the subject of ​several racial slurs earlier in the season. While that is obviously a disgusting incident, Fields could actually use it to his advantage. A player can transfer and play instantly if his transfer is "due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete."

If Fields was able to prove that these slurs created an environment that made him constantly fearful and unhealthy, he could be granted a hardship waiver and could suit up as soon as next season. Fields is a premier talent at the quarterback position. It's more likely that he realizes his full potential on the field rather than warming a bench in Athens.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Actually, if he does leave UGA, Fields is likely to apply for immediate eligibility (https://www.12up.com/posts/6250694-justin-fields-could-be-immediately-eligible-if-he-leaves-georgia-for-ohio-state) because he was subject to racist taunts when he was at UGA and he will claim that is why he is looking for a new school.

And he doesn't have to "prove it" as the article says...not by a long shot. Not in this environment. He'll get the immediate release, I'd bet a bunch of pie. (and i'm not criticizing anyone or anything here...just making a fairly confident prediction).

And quick - text him a video of Mel Kiper talking about Daniel Jone's draft status...

Sir Stealth
01-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Is this better sourced to justify it being "likely" rather than just someone on the internet spitballing about potential loopholes? That article also purports to link to "several racial slurs," but the link only discusses one incident involving a UGA baseball player heard making comments from the stands who was then kicked out of the baseball program. If Fields really feels that he has been subjected to more racial abuse at UGA and really wants to leave for that reason then that would be a fair mitigating factor, but accusing the school/program this way just as a loophole because he didn't win the QB job earlier would be unseemly - that accusation would (and should) be viewed as a big deal. He may well try to get immediate eligibility through some other argument, and the NCAA seems looser with that lately, but it looks to me like a regular transfer until we see more to support this actually happening.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Is this better sourced to justify it being "likely" rather than just someone on the internet spitballing about potential loopholes? That article also purports to link to "several racial slurs," but the link only discusses one incident involving a UGA baseball player heard making comments from the stands who was then kicked out of the baseball program. If Fields really feels that he has been subjected to more racial abuse at UGA and really wants to leave for that reason then that would be a fair mitigating factor, but accusing the school/program this way just as a loophole because he didn't win the QB job earlier would be unseemly - that accusation would (and should) be viewed as a big deal. He may well try to get immediate eligibility through some other argument, and the NCAA seems looser with that lately, but it looks to me like a regular transfer until we see more to support this actually happening.

I think this has been discussed elsewhere and I hate to go too far down this path as I think the odds of Fields coming to Duke are not much greater than the odds of me playing quarterback for Duke (I am in my 40s with a weak arm and my 40 time is likely well over 5), but Fields also has a sister who is committed to start playing softball at UGA this fall. So if these comments were so disturbing that they are being used as a reason for him absolutely needing to get out of Athens ASAP due to this one comment, one would think his sister would also not want to be there. I think players have used much weaker excuses to try to work around the rules, and I by nature have very little faith in the NCAA, but I agree that this would be a really weak argument to base a rules exception on (and let it be noted that I am not in any way minimizing the seriousness of racism and what a horrible thing it is).

Now that I have done my share of threadjacking, I think we should go back to focusing this discussion on the candidates who are currently on campus, unless there are really good sources saying that someone else is considering Duke. I am not too familiar with any of them so have really appreciated the insights into the candidates provided thus far.

JasonEvans
01-02-2019, 09:47 AM

There are dozens (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/12/17/justin-fields-transfer-georgia-after-freshman-season/2339522002/)of articles (https://247sports.com/college/georgia/Article/Justin-Fields-Georgia-Bulldogs-transfer-NCAA-Ohio-State-126527630/)talking about (https://sports.yahoo.com/report-5-star-freshman-qb-justin-fields-leaving-georgia-010644331.html)Fields' appeal for immediate eligibility due to the racism incident. While no one knows what the NCAA will decide, most of the buzz I have heard indicates the NCAA will grant the waiver. Fields' family has hired an attorney who specializes in this kind of thing.

Fields is expected to retain attorney Tom Mars to aid with petitioning the NCAA for immediate eligibility. Mars worked with Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson and helped him earn a win with the NCAA this season in Ann Arbor after transferring from Ole Miss.

“I’ve helped more than a dozen student-athletes from different sports in the past year, but I don’t talk about it publicly unless there’s a good reason to do so,” Mars said.

-Jason "the last thing the NCAA wants to do is argue that having the N-word screamed at you isn't a big deal... Fields will be immediately eligible (I doubt he is even looking at Duke though)" Evans

ehdg
01-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Fields would be nice but I hear he's strongly considering The Ohio State University. Specially if Dwayne Haskins declares for the NFL Draft.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-02-2019, 10:19 AM
Fields would be nice but I hear he's strongly considering The Ohio State University. Specially if Dwayne Haskins declares for the NFL Draft.

The allure of playing big time football in huge stadiums filled with fans almost every game is powerful. Duke cannot offer that, and never will be able to. What we hope is that the chance of Cut developing you into an NFL quarterback will nab us a few of these 4 and 5s at some point.

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2019, 10:35 AM
How would the team feel about a grad transfer coming in and getting the job over Harris, or Holmberg for that matter? I could see as a more acceptable situation if we sucked, but we don't. And while I'm assuming the job would be earned and not given, I like the idea of one of our guys who has paid his dues being the one on the field instead of someone else who wasn't happy with their playing time at another school.

If we get a transfer that has only spent one or two years at another school, I'd be more ok with that.

ehdg
01-02-2019, 10:48 AM
I know filling DJ's shoes next season will be a bit issue but imo bigger will be filling the shoes of both our LB's, Humphreys and Joe Giles-Harris. I'm truly hoping we have some really good vocal players to step in and fill those shoes. Those two are imo going to be huge losses for us on the defensive side of the ball. They where such good football players!!

Bob Green
01-02-2019, 11:18 AM
What we hope is that the chance of Cut developing you into an NFL quarterback will nab us a few of these 4 and 5s at some point.

Gunnar Holmberg was a 4* recruit per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/213725/gunnar-holmberg

jimsumner
01-02-2019, 11:21 AM
The problem with the grad-student-transfer scenario is simple.

Guys who clearly are better than Harris/Holmberg likely won't want to come to Duke.

Guys who want to come to Duke likely aren't any better than Harris/Holmberg.

FWIW, Notre Dame's Brandon Wimbush is leaving.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Gunnar Holmberg was a 4* recruit per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/213725/gunnar-holmberg

Indeed he was, but he was no more than average 3 by 24/7. IOW, he was not a Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence type recruit. Now I hope ESPN is more correct, and we all know DJ was just a 2* recruit.....so these things matter only to a degree.

uh_no
01-02-2019, 03:39 PM
The problem with the grad-student-transfer scenario is simple.

Guys who clearly are better than Harris/Holmberg likely won't want to come to Duke.

Guys who want to come to Duke likely aren't any better than Harris/Holmberg.

FWIW, Notre Dame's Brandon Wimbush is leaving.

agree. I'm not sure playing under Cut for a year would improve one's draft stock, even if it might improve one's actual ability.

budwom
01-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Fields will come to Duke right after Peyton Manning becomes our new offensive coordinator.

devildeac
01-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Fields will come to Duke right after Peyton Manning becomes our new offensive coordinator.

I think budwom is trying to Rope-r-dope us on this one.

:o

Avvocato
01-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Here are some thoughts that mean nothing:

* Harris showed that he should be capable of being our starter. However, one game was against NCCU, which we can't draw much from. Against Baylor, he showed poise, ran the team well, made plays, and won on the road against a Power 5 team, although against, as Jason Evans will tell you, a bad Baylor defense. With that said, he did his job and I think will be capable of being our starter. He got great experience and should only get better. However, he also connected on about 50% of his passes against Baylor, which is not good in today's game (again, against a bad defense). So hopefully, with more experience he'll get more comfortable and his completion percentage should go up, which it will need to be for us to be successful next year.

* Whoever our quarterback will be, they won't have much experience. So, hopefully our offensive line will stand up, and we can rely on our running game. Our offensive line should return plenty of experience, with many of the younger players returning. Though Brittain Brown basically lost this year due to his injuries, it let Deon Jackson really merge and shine. Assuming Brown will be back healthy and with Mateo Durant joining the mix, we should have a stacked backfield. Plus, Harris (assuming he's the starter) is an excellent runner. Hopefully we can rely on our running game to control the ball more, which should help our new QB and the defense.

* I have no idea how good Katremick or Holmberg are or will be. If one of them looks like the heir apparent, I still have a hard time thinking Cut will put one in as the starter against Alabama for his first start. However, on the flip side, I guess we can't manage our whole season around that one game, which will be a tough spot for us, regardless of who starts under center. In any case, if Cut thinks Katrenick or Holmberg should be the guy (like he chose DJ over Boehme when Sirk went down again), I guess he has to throw him out there and learn on the fly. I just can't see it though.

* While we lose plenty of senior wide receivers, we'll have an interesting mix of some veterans and new blood looking to take on bigger roles. Aaron Young hopefully will be back and healthy. Jake Bobo has gotten a lot of support on these boards, and I expect him to step into a key role. I also think Philyaw-Johnson is going to break out a bit. I think he showed some flashes towards the end of the year. Of course, we're all still waiting for Keyston Fuller and Scott Bracey to emerge, though I don't think anyone is counting on them.

* We still have lots of highly ranked TE recruits on the roster, particularly Noah Gray. While we haven't looked as much to our tight ends consistently, they can be a best friend to an inexperienced quarterback.

In any case, like you all, I'm really curious to see the QB battle play out during the spring and in August. However, I'm hoping we will be able to rely on our offensive line and running attack to take pressure off our new QB (whoever it is) and wide receivers. Already looking forward to the new season and team make-up.

P.S.

One side note. I wonder if Jack Sears, seeing DJ leave after his redshirt-junior year for the NFL draft, regrets his decision. He's a California kid who is at USC, so that can't be all bad. However, he would be poised to take over as our QB as a redshirt-sophomore and play under Cut. Right now, at USC, unless TJ Daniels gets injured, the best he can hope for is playing as a redshirt senior (assuming he can beat out whoever is on the roster at that time). Whatever. Not our problem, but was just thinking about it while we discuss our next QB.

Bob Green
01-02-2019, 04:53 PM
In any case, like you all, I'm really curious to see the QB battle play out during the spring and in August. However, I'm hoping we will be able to rely on our offensive line and running attack to take pressure off our new QB (whoever it is) and wide receivers. Already looking forward to the new season and team make-up.

I too hope the running game will take the pressure off the new QB. The offensive line needs to take a step up in opening up holes for the running backs so the off season strength and conditioning work will be critical. In your list of returning running backs, you left off Marvin Hubbard III who ruptured his Achilles tendon in the Virginia Tech game and was lost for the season.

Avvocato
01-02-2019, 06:28 PM
I too hope the running game will take the pressure off the new QB. The offensive line needs to take a step up in opening up holes for the running backs so the off season strength and conditioning work will be critical. In your list of returning running backs, you left off Marvin Hubbard III who ruptured his Achilles tendon in the Virginia Tech game and was lost for the season.

Good catch. Thanks. I hope he's healthy to return next season. I liked him as well.

Duke76
01-02-2019, 07:55 PM

I'd put Coach Cut up against any Coach out there that the NFL executives respect for teaching kids about how to be the best NFL QB possible...I don't think I need to mention why....and when New England moves mountains to draft Jones that will become more apparent.

uh_no
01-02-2019, 08:17 PM
I'd put Coach Cut up against any Coach out there that the NFL executives respect for teaching kids about how to be the best NFL QB possible...I don't think I need to mention why...and when New England moves mountains to draft Jones that will become more apparent.
he'd be dead to me.

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2019, 09:05 PM
he'd be dead to me.

Ha! I'm with you. Jones needs to go to some team that I don't care about. I don't want him on a team I hate, and I don't want him on a team I love. If he does great on the hated team, I won't be happy. If he does lousy on the team I love, I won't be happy.
Of course he could flip those scenarios, and I'd be thrilled, but I'd rather not take the chance.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Here are some thoughts that mean nothing:

* Harris showed that he should be capable of being our starter. However, one game was against NCCU, which we can't draw much from. Against Baylor, he showed poise, ran the team well, made plays, and won on the road against a Power 5 team, although against, as Jason Evans will tell you, a bad Baylor defense. With that said, he did his job and I think will be capable of being our starter. He got great experience and should only get better. However, he also connected on about 50% of his passes against Baylor, which is not good in today's game (again, against a bad defense). So hopefully, with more experience he'll get more comfortable and his completion percentage should go up, which it will need to be for us to be successful next year.

One side note. I wonder if Jack Sears, seeing DJ leave after his redshirt-junior year for the NFL draft, regrets his decision. He's a California kid who is at USC, so that can't be all bad. However, he would be poised to take over as our QB as a redshirt-sophomore and play under Cut. Right now, at USC, unless TJ Daniels gets injured, the best he can hope for is playing as a redshirt senior (assuming he can beat out whoever is on the roster at that time). Whatever. Not our problem, but was just thinking about it while we discuss our next QB.

I think all your comments were meaningful...:)
Vis a vis Harris, I think the NW, Baylor and NCCU games in combination did tell us something. He made a huge run for a first down that kept the ball away from NW and helped Duke keep them at bay. It was a major play. He threw 7 TDs with no interceptions, and that's significant.

That Baylor D ended up having some good games...held Texas to 23 and TT to 24...and while QH was only 12 for 30 in that game - which is ugly - he had 3 TDs and he also had 3 long completions and a very good per completion average yardage. Ironically, the longer the pass, the better he threw it in that game. And against NCCU he took care of business. So all three outings were successful. Not a huge sample, but encouraging nonetheless. Now, is Gunnar or Katrenick a talent that will blow the others away in competition? I've no idea.

As for Jack Sears, be interesting to hear he and Chazz Surratt over some beers during NFL draft day this April.....:cool:

budwom
01-03-2019, 09:18 AM
It's going to be interesting to see where Jones goes. I don't believe 10% of the self appointed authorities, because teams (who have real professionals assessing guys, some better than others of course) don't go around
telling ESPN writers who they really like in the draft, it's completely illogical. The BS gets stripped away on draft day. I think the good news for Jones is that he isn't so great that he'll be taken by a bottom dweller with an ultra early pick, rather he'll (hopefully) go to a good organization who can afford to bring him along slowly. Maybe in the first round, maybe the second or third, we'll see.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-03-2019, 09:37 AM
It's going to be interesting to see where Jones goes. I don't believe 10% of the self appointed authorities, because teams (who have real professionals assessing guys, some better than others of course) don't go around
telling ESPN writers who they really like in the draft, it's completely illogical. The BS gets stripped away on draft day. I think the good news for Jones is that he isn't so great that he'll be taken by a bottom dweller with an ultra early pick, rather he'll (hopefully) go to a good organization who can afford to bring him along slowly. Maybe in the first round, maybe the second or third, we'll see.

I would suspect the combine is going to be key. In that situation, he'll have the same type of receivers all the other QBs have, which he clearly did not at Duke. Then there are the individual work outs for teams. I'm not a draft geek, and I don't follow how all this works, but I think in DJ's situation these will be huge. Everybody loves his size. They like what they've seen of his arm. They will test his speed on the clock. But his stats are not great, his consistency an issue, and he's had only a few games in what would be called a big time atmosphere.

Then there are the tests and interviews, and I think we all have the utmost confidence that he will crush those. He has many "face of the franchise" characteristics in his favor. Now, is he good enough to be that in the NFL? Time will tell.

I think the combine and work outs could be the difference between a first to a fourth round pick. And no, I do not think he'll fall to four, or even three.

JasonEvans
01-03-2019, 11:13 AM

He is a hot property right now. Several mocks in the past few days have him going in the first half of the first round, which could mean he is on a mediocre-lousy team. But, I agree with other that draft stock is best measured after the combine. Regardless, it is good for Duke to have one of our kids being talked about this way and it is sure to enhance our recruiting profile. QB is a big deal position (duuuh!) and if Daniel ever becomes a NFL starter, it would raise the profile of the Duke program rather significantly, I think.

-Jason "I've seen him mocked to the Dolphins and Redskins in the early teens in several draft guesses lately" Evans

Troublemaker
01-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say that, except for the last sentence, someone could make this exact same post for men's basketball in April. As in, word for word.

We've lost one "quarterback" named Jones to the draft. Hopefully, someway, somehow, we keep the other one another year in MBB.

Just thought this coincidence was interesting.

CDu
01-03-2019, 11:46 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say that, except for the last sentence, someone could make this exact same post for men's basketball in April. As in, word for word.

We've lost one "quarterback" named Jones to the draft. Hopefully, someway, somehow, we keep the other one another year in MBB.

Eh, I'm hopeful that we win a national championship this year. And if we do, that almost certainly means the other Jones is going pro (he's probably going pro either way, but even more likely to if we win the title). If Jones is back next year, that most likely means this year won't have gone as well as expected/hoped for either Jones or for Duke. So, honestly, I hope Jones ISN'T back next year, as it most likely means this year left unfinished business on the table.

As for the Jones that this thread refers to, it's quite a career growth to go from being a lightly-recruited high school player to a potential 1st round pick. Lots of credit to both him and the staff for getting him to this point. I wouldn't have seen this coming even 2 years ago.

throatybeard
01-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Agreed, though I wish that "package" would get lost in the mail....

Ree turn to sender
Add dress unknown
No such number
No such zone

devildeac
01-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Ree turn to sender
Add dress unknown
No such number
No such zone

One elvis is enough here.

:rolleyes:;)

budwom
01-03-2019, 12:55 PM

Good point. Hey, I'm a big fan of Daniel Jones, but there is a lot of irrational exuberance out there right now. I agree with everyone that the combine will be very important....beers will be on me if he goes in the first round (*).
At the college level he gets an inordinate number of passes tipped or batted down at the line of scrimmage, which I mention partly because it matters, and party because having watched the Temple game several times, no one on the broadcast seems to have noticed that on the next play (I believe) after he caught his own tipped pass, his TD pass to the tight end was also tipped (enough to put a nice wobble on it). I got a kick out of that.

As for the less tall Mr. Tre Jones, the Womble Rule remains in effect: all players who win a national championship should feel free to move on to the NBA. Doesn't matter anyway, we know OAD fever is highly contagious,
Tre will be joining his buds and bro next year unless his game somehow craters.

OldPhiKap
01-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Fields headed to the Ohio State University.

Avvocato
01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Fields headed to the Ohio State University.

Note sure if it's official but looking that way: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25684235/former-georgia-bulldogs-qb-justin-fields-expected-enroll-ohio-state-next-week

Classic line from the link is from a redshirt freshman quarterback who threw down the gauntlet to Fields if Fields chooses OSU:

The Buckeyes will bring back redshirt freshman Tate Martell of Las Vegas, who was ranked the No. 127 player overall and No. 6 dual-threat quarterback in the 2017 ESPN 300. Martell completed 23 of 28 passes for 269 yards with 1 touchdown in 2018, while rushing for 128 yards with 2 scores.

In a tweet on Dec. 21, Martell seemed to warn Fields about picking Ohio State as a transfer destination: "word of advice: -- don't swing and miss ... especially not your second time."

jimsumner
01-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Note sure if it's official but looking that way: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25684235/former-georgia-bulldogs-qb-justin-fields-expected-enroll-ohio-state-next-week

Classic line from the link is from a redshirt freshman quarterback who threw down the gauntlet to Fields if Fields chooses OSU:

Geez. Imagine these guys together in the QB room.

quahog174
01-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Would Cut consider Hurts if he gains his transfer?

HereBeforeCoachK
01-09-2019, 07:34 PM
Would Cut consider Hurts if he gains his transfer?

He has gained it...he's in the system. And I think Cut might consider it, but I don't think Cut would pursue it - and frankly I don't think there's any chance Hurts will consider Duke anyway. And I can certainly see some downside if he were to come to Duke.

BD80
01-09-2019, 08:02 PM
He has gained it...he's in the system. And I think Cut might consider it, but I don't think Cut would pursue it - and frankly I don't think there's any chance Hurts will consider Duke anyway. And I can certainly see some downside if he were to come to Duke.

We court get Hurt in football AND basketball?

CrazyNotCrazie
01-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Hurts so good

Tripping William
01-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Hurts so good

Love Hurts

uh_no
01-09-2019, 09:48 PM

must be the nike shoes.

dukelifer
01-09-2019, 09:59 PM

Gets to play Alabama his first game and is coached by the QB whisperer- sounds like a good opportunity for him.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2019, 10:16 PM

Hurts so good

must be the nike shoes.

He might Hurt his toe.

devildeac
01-09-2019, 10:35 PM
must be the nike shoes.

Or the Kourt.

elvis14
01-10-2019, 11:46 AM
One elvis is enough here.

:rolleyes:;)

Can you ever really have too many Elvises?

devildeac
01-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Can you ever really have too many Elvises?

Yes, you can. Have you seen some of those imposters out there:eek:?

You, of course, are fine. All 14 of you. ;)

BandAlum83
01-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Here's an interesting article about a 4-star from Mississippi who is a Georgia commit (kinda).

Word is that he is making a visit to Duke.

I didn't find out about this on my own..Shout out to you know who.

4-star QB commit John Rhys Plumlee is still a Bulldog …… for now (https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/4-star-qb-prospect-john-rhys-plumlee-is-still-a-bulldog-for-now)

OldPhiKap
01-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Here's an interesting article about a 4-star from Mississippi who is a Georgia commit (kinda).

4-star QB commit John Rhys Plumlee is still a Bulldog …… for now (https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/4-star-qb-prospect-john-rhys-plumlee-is-still-a-bulldog-for-now)

Plumlees do well at Duke. Just sayin'

HereBeforeCoachK
01-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Plumlees do well at Duke. Just sayin'

He looks pretty good in that blue jersey.....

elvis14
01-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Yeah, you're right. I mean lets face it elvis17 and elvis23 are real jerks!

BandAlum83
01-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Yeah, you're right. I mean lets face it elvis17 and elvis23 are real jerks!

But they are the prime-ary elvises of the crew!

devildeac
01-10-2019, 01:55 PM

After that, your posts may be numbered.

johnb
01-10-2019, 02:20 PM
If a QB one year ahead of me (Fields) is transferring out after being evaluated as the 8th best hs recruit EVER (only 2 qb's ahead of him were Trevor Lawrence and Vince Young),
https://247sports.com/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruitRankings/

and the school has semi-rescinded my offer, putting me a summer behind everyone else,

and they'd recruited another, higher-rated qb in my class,

and Jake Fromm is around for a while,

then I'd be reconsidering my options as well.

It might also help if you've practiced being down and out in a piano bar. Here's Mr. Plumlee channeling his inner Billy Joel:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/watch-georgia-qb-commit-absolutely-crushes-it-on-the-piano-sounds-almost-as-good-as-billy-joel/

luvdahops
01-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Isn't "elvi" the correct plural of "elvis"?

BandAlum83
01-10-2019, 04:43 PM
Isn't "elvi" the correct plural of "elvis"?

No, that would be the plural of Elvus.

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2019, 05:26 PM
No, that would be the plural of Elvus.

That's a great name for a Elvis impersonator barber shop quartet.

MattC09
01-10-2019, 06:58 PM

I saw Cutcliffe retweeted him after Christmas and thought it was interesting. We have a Singler working with the football team, why not a Plumlee playing for it?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-10-2019, 08:13 PM
I saw Cutcliffe retweeted him after Christmas and thought it was interesting. We have a Singler working with the football team, why not a Plumlee playing for it?

If anyone knows recruiting in the 'Sip, David Cutcliffe would qualify as would Derek Jones.

BD80
01-10-2019, 11:34 PM

It would suck sitting behind the "extended" Plumlee family when they come watch him play ...

OldPhiKap
01-11-2019, 07:55 AM
It would suck sitting behind the "extended" Plumlee family when they come watch him play ...

And with my luck, they’d be the only row in the whole damn place that stood the entire game.

Avvocato
01-11-2019, 09:24 AM

I wonder if Justin Fields' transfer from Georgia would open up a scholarship earlier for Plumlee. This article is from mid-December.

Also, Tate Martell, the Ohio St. redshirt-FR quarterback this year, entered the transfer portal yesterday after Fields announced he was transferring to Ohio St. Martell was an ESPN 300 player. Though I know it will never happen, maybe we can get more of that Ohio St. to Duke magic pipeline going. With that said, Martell apparently followed three coaches on twitter. None were Cut. In any case, thought it was interesting thinking about the potential impact of Fields' transfer.

budwom
01-11-2019, 09:54 AM
"entering the transfer portal" is such a wonderful, ludicrous choice of words, thank you NCAA (someone there watched Star Trek I guess).

Acymetric
01-11-2019, 09:59 AM
"entering the transfer portal" is such a wonderful, ludicrous choice of words, thank you NCAA (someone there watched Star Trek I guess).

Not really, pretty common business terminology. It isn't an abstract concept to describe pending transfer status, there is literally a "transfer portal" that players submit their information to online which puts them in a database of players looking to transfer for other schools to access.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_portal

"Transfer portal" is a a specific implementation of a web portal. It would probably be a little more clean to say "submitted his name to the transfer portal", but also consider the phrasing is coming from the media reporting on it, not necessarily the NCAA themselves.

I used to have to submit information to various portals all the time in my last job (which was not IT related in any way other than that there was a computer at my desk).

sagegrouse
01-11-2019, 10:02 AM

Sorta like Flash Gordon or Star Trek? One enters the "transfer portal" in one uniform and walks out wearing a different one?

budwom
01-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Sorta like Flash Gordon or Star Trek? One enters the "transfer portal" in one uniform and walks out wearing a different one?

yup. Yeah, I know it's used other places, another example of using more words when fewer would work just fine..."grad transfer" seemed pretty useful, portal or no portal.

Acymetric
01-11-2019, 10:26 AM
yup. Yeah, I know it's used other places, another example of using more words when fewer would work just fine..."grad transfer" seemed pretty useful, portal or no portal.

The reason the "portal" is being emphasized is because it is brand new. Previously, players just "announced" via twitter/the media "hey, I'm looking to transfer" and coaches would contact them or they would contact the coaches and pick a landing spot. Now they submit their information to the newly developed transfer portal, and coaches from all NCAA schools can browse the portal to see all the players seeking transfer, presumably with supporting information (no idea what information since I don't have access). You could call it something other than portal (transfer database, etc.) but you have to call it something. "Grad transfer" is a description of status ("he is a grad transfer"). Entering into the "transfer portal" is an actual [electronic] action, like getting in line at the bank or entering a raffle or registering for a website.

budwom
01-11-2019, 10:28 AM
I don't need a lecture on the new rule. I'm only noting the silly choice of words.

Acymetric
01-11-2019, 10:37 AM
I don't need a lecture on the new rule. I'm only noting the silly choice of words.

My point is what else would you call it? Database? Registry? I'm not talking about the rule, just the name and why it is named that.

sagegrouse
01-11-2019, 10:47 AM

My point is what else would you call it? Database? Registry? I'm not talking about the rule, just the name and why it is named that.

Oh, boy! An argument about nothing. First time in the history of the internet!! :):):):)

Acymetric
01-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Oh, boy! An argument about nothing. First time in the history of the internet!! :):):)

I find it mildly preferable to 2 pages of puns...and how else am I supposed to kill time on a Friday? ;)

Indoor66
01-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Kinda mixing process with status.

75Crazie
01-11-2019, 12:28 PM
The mere fact that something exists in college football called a "transfer portal" highlights just how ludicrous the revenue-generating college athletics programs have become.

BD80
01-11-2019, 12:37 PM
The mere fact that something exists in college football called a "transfer portal" highlights just how ludicrous the revenue-generating college athletics programs have become.

You want to see ludicrous, just suggest that the subject is transfer "porter."

OldPhiKap
01-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Oh, boy! An argument about nothing. First time in the history of the internet!!

I find it mildly preferable to 2 pages of puns...;)

Can we have a contest over how many minutes per day DBR will spend on each?

Aladuke
01-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Brett Favre has been a volunteer coach at Oak Grove for several years, mainly preseason, although I did not see him listed on this year's roster. He has a huge farm just a few miles west of the high school.
I used to see him in some of my favorite watering holes in Hattiesburg. Just one of the guys from what I observed. I would expect that he has helped tutor Mr. Plumlee at some point in his career.

budwom
01-11-2019, 03:46 PM
I find it mildly preferable to 2 pages of puns...and how else am I supposed to kill time on a Friday? ;)

exactly, boys being boys...i'm about to enter the friday afternoon beer portal, by the way....

luvdahops
01-11-2019, 04:45 PM
exactly, boys being boys...i'm about to enter the friday afternoon beer portal, by the way...

Wrong thread I know, but you've got a lot of great local options up your way. I just spent a few days in Stowe with my family, and in addition to the obligatory trip to the Alchemist (which didn't disappoint), I became a big new fan of Hill Farmstead Edward and Fiddlehead IPA. Would've sampled others if hadn't liked those so damn much.

budwom
01-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Wrong thread I know, but you've got a lot of great local options up your way. I just spent a few days in Stowe with my family, and in addition to the obligatory trip to the Alchemist (which didn't disappoint), I became a big new fan of Hill Farmstead Edward and Fiddlehead IPA. Would've sampled others if hadn't liked those so damn much.

My abode is right next to Stowe, on the other side of the mountain...some great dining and sipping over there (and in Vermont in general). Alchemist is indeed nice, and I commend you for your liking Hill Farmstead Edward...we are most fortunate around here that many of our local restaurants have that and other Hill Farmstead beers on tap. Edward deserves all the good press it gets.

Reilly
01-11-2019, 05:04 PM
I wonder if those who have been through the concussion protocol several times receive less interest when they enter the transfer portal.

budwom
01-11-2019, 05:12 PM
I wonder if those who have been through the concussion protocol several times receive less interest when they enter the transfer portal.

It's funny that I was thinking about that term today as well. I get a kick out of this stuff...the NFL especially, they've been around for something like 100 years and they still have trouble
defining what a catch is. So maybe they need a catch protocol.

Bob Green
01-11-2019, 05:47 PM
...some great dining and sipping over there (and in Vermont in general).

How's the weather?

NSDukeFan
01-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Can we have a contest over how many minutes per day DBR will spend on each?
Is that adjusted or unadjusted?

exactly, boys being boys...i'm about to enter the friday afternoon beer portal, by the way...
I’m hoping to very soon enter the Friday night sleep portal.

How's the weather?

Depends how much you enjoy skiing, sledding, snowshoeing, etc.

luvdahops
01-11-2019, 11:25 PM
My abode is right next to Stowe, on the other side of the mountain...some great dining and sipping over there (and in Vermont in general). Alchemist is indeed nice, and I commend you for your liking Hill Farmstead Edward...we are most fortunate around here that many of our local restaurants have that and other Hill Farmstead beers on tap. Edward deserves all the good press it gets.

Agreed - emphatically - on all counts. We had excellent dinners on each of our 4 nights there (Sushi Yoshi, Piecasso, Harrison’s and the Bench). And the food at the Spruce Peak Base Lodge was on par with places like Deer Valley and Beaver Creek, with a very solid selection of local/regional brews, too. Edward was a revelation and absolutely deserving of its hype, and my sense is that Hill Farmstead beers are considered outstanding pretty much across the board. I look forward to sampling more of them.

gep
01-11-2019, 11:34 PM

Actually, I MUCH prefer the puns... :cool: You guys are great.

budwom
01-12-2019, 03:40 AM
Agreed - emphatically - on all counts. We had excellent dinners on each of our 4 nights there (Sushi Yoshi, Piecasso, Harrison’s and the Bench). And the food at the Spruce Peak Base Lodge was on par with places like Deer Valley and Beaver Creek, with a very solid selection of local/regional brews, too. Edward was a revelation and absolutely deserving of its hype, and my sense is that Hill Farmstead beers are considered outstanding pretty much across the board. I look forward to sampling more of them.

Impressive, I must say you chose well in your dining...Bench, Piecasso and Harrisons are three of our top spots, the wood oven cooked half duck at The Bench is a masterpiece...once a month a friend and I "run the quadtrathlon" at Stowe:
Five mile fast walk on the bike path, fetch beer at Alchemist, pizza lunch at Piecasso (the pesto bacon meatball pizza is sublime) and then I buy fish at Stowe Seafood (they supply Sushi Yoshi and most other restaurants in town).

budwom
01-12-2019, 03:43 AM
How's the weather?

as I mentioned in the off topic zone, I'm applying for DBR record for last night's grillage of two inch thick pork chops at nine degrees below zero, Fahrenheit. Two feet of snow on ground. Winter.
Still that temp now (3:42 a.m. EST), hauling lovely wife to airport in 15 minutes for flight to FL.

TruBlu
01-12-2019, 03:54 AM
as I mentioned in the off topic zone, I'm applying for DBR record for last night's grillage of two inch thick pork chops at nine degrees below zero, Fahrenheit. Two feet of snow on ground. Winter.
Still that temp now (3:42 a.m. EST), hauling lovely wife to airport in 15 minutes for flight to FL.

At least you have a smart wife. Are you going to Florida also? If so, are you ever going back to Vermont? If not, are you sure your wife is ever going back to Vermont? Either way, WHY?!?

I wintered in Maine one year because Uncle Sam said so. No thanks.

It is beautiful there from late May until late September.

kshepinthehouse
01-12-2019, 04:32 AM
I wonder if Justin Fields' transfer from Georgia would open up a scholarship earlier for Plumlee. This article is from mid-December.

Also, Tate Martell, the Ohio St. redshirt-FR quarterback this year, entered the transfer portal yesterday after Fields announced he was transferring to Ohio St. Martell was an ESPN 300 player. Though I know it will never happen, maybe we can get more of that Ohio St. to Duke magic pipeline going. With that said, Martell apparently followed three coaches on twitter. None were Cut. In any case, thought it was interesting thinking about the potential impact of Fields' transfer.

This after Martell publicly warned Fields about coming to Ohio State and advised him not to make the same mistake twice.

budwom
01-12-2019, 05:08 AM
At least you have a smart wife. Are you going to Florida also? If so, are you ever going back to Vermont? If not, are you sure your wife is ever going back to Vermont? Either way, WHY?!?

I wintered in Maine one year because Uncle Sam said so. No thanks.

It is beautiful there from late May until late September.

Wife is presumably coming back next week...we both go to FL in two weeks...winter here is an acquired taste!

devildeac
01-12-2019, 08:18 AM
How's the weather?

Read here:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42871-Calling-all-cooks-Beef-Wellington-question

Money stat/quote:

"... nine below zero..."

House G
01-12-2019, 08:48 AM

Well, you didn't exactly ask for this but you are going to get it anyway lol. I hope you don't spill your coffee.

https://youtu.be/QwbtW-ENL1A

devildeac
01-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Well, you didn't exactly ask for this but you are going to get it anyway lol. I hope you don't spill your coffee.

Good golly, Miss Molly.

elvis14
01-12-2019, 09:29 AM

video here

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's elvis37. Another prime example of an Elvis in the wild.

devildeac
01-12-2019, 09:33 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's elvis37. Another prime example of an Elvis in the wild.

Captivity *might* work better for that one.

:rolleyes:

House G
01-12-2019, 09:44 AM

This Elvis sidetrack is marginally relevant in that Plumleee (Hattiesburg) and Elvis (Tupelo) are both from the great state of Mississippi.

BD80
01-12-2019, 10:12 AM

A preview of M Night Shyamalan's next movie?

BD80
01-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Wife is presumably coming back next week...we both go to FL in two weeks...winter here is an acquired taste!

Winter in Vermont is recidivism, pure and simple.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Winter in Vermont is recidivism, pure and simple.

We done strayed on this thread...:D

Of course, on the off topic topic...if I had my druthers, Marathon Florida is about as far north as I'd like to live....

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2019, 10:59 AM
This after Martell publicly warned Fields about coming to Ohio State and advised him not to make the same mistake twice.

Gotta wonder if the coaches advised him that Fields was not making a mistake.

BandAlum83
01-12-2019, 11:26 AM

That’s elvis43. You really can’t tell the difference?

elvis14
01-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Captivity *might* work better for that one.

:rolleyes:

Good point.

That’s elvis43. You really can’t tell the difference?

You're right, that is elvis43. In my defense, it was early this morning and, the pink blazer distracted me a bit, and let's not forget that elvis37 and elvis43 are brothers.

devilseven
01-12-2019, 12:47 PM
What number Elvis will be our Next year's QB?

budwom
01-12-2019, 12:59 PM
We done strayed on this thread...:D

Of course, on the off topic topic...if I had my druthers, Marathon Florida is about as far north as I'd like to live...

Hopes of a grad transfer QB seem to have faded; I fear we may not have any QB talk from Cut until Spring practice, if then....looks like stray or die for this thread.

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Hopes of a grad transfer QB seem to have faded; I fear we may not have any QB talk from Cut until Spring practice, if then...looks like stray or die for this thread.

I wasn't hopeful, and if they have faded, then yay! Stick with the guys we have that put in their time under Cut and our other coaches, not those of some other team.

BlueDevil16
01-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Is this Plumlee QB a realistic get? Is he visiting?

75Crazie
01-12-2019, 03:05 PM
I wasn't hopeful, and if they have faded, then yay! Stick with the guys we have that put in their time under Cut and our other coaches, not those of some other team.
Ditto from me. I am not a fan of the volume of QB transfer talk on this thread, most of it unfounded speculation. QH has paid his dues and deserves the keys to the car.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Ditto from me. I am not a fan of the volume of QB transfer talk on this thread, most of it unfounded speculation. QH has paid his dues and deserves the keys to the car.

I agree with that about QH. He does a couple things a little better than DJ IMO (just a couple....). My worry is that Cut didn't use him more two years ago when DJ was hurt and not playing well at all for six games.....We know now Jones was maybe 50%.......and yet QH rode the pine.

I also want to see how Gunnar can come along.....

WNC
01-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Not familiar with JC Shurburt but he tweeted that Duke could land a transfer from Oklahoma.

https://twitter.com/jcshurburtt/status/1084167933390176258?s=21

He also says Hurts was on the OU campus today.

budwom
01-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Not familiar with JC Shurburt but he tweeted that Duke could land a transfer from Oklahoma.

https://twitter.com/jcshurburtt/status/1084167933390176258?s=21

He also says Hurts was on the OU campus today.

This seems to have momentum. Former NC high school star, and (according to many at OK) presumed successor to Kyler Murray...he has graduated but has two years of eligibility left.
Everyone wanted this guy when he was in HS. Few stats this year to savor, but the OK coaches said he nearly beat out Murray in the Spring for the starting job.
Should know soon, multiple tweeters seem to think Duke is in good shape here.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-12-2019, 08:15 PM
This seems to have momentum. Former NC high school star, and (according to many at OK) presumed successor to Kyler Murray...he has graduated but has two years of eligibility left.
Everyone wanted this guy when he was in HS. Few stats this year to savor, but the OK coaches said he nearly beat out Murray in the Spring for the starting job.
Should know soon, multiple tweeters seem to think Duke is in good shape here.

He's from Charlotte.....very likely knows Daniel Jones, Anthony Boone, Jamison Crowder.....etc.

killerleft
01-12-2019, 08:44 PM
I didn't mind when Jeremy Cash came in and claimed a job. He put in a year practicing with the team first. Somehow, it's not the same with a grad transfer who might take the QB position. I guess it's because I've come to admire Quintin Harris, and have heard only good things about his leadership qualities. And there's only one QB job.

But, I'll trust Cut if it happens.

53n206
01-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Austin Kendall: A really good guy and talented QB. Came to OU with Coach Riley. Misfortune to have Mayfield allowed by NCAA to have extra year, and Murray to have transferred in. Who knew? May be a great potential for us. He arrived OU mid season, graduated in 3; has 2 years left.

arnie
01-12-2019, 08:52 PM
I didn't mind when Jeremy Cash came in and claimed a job. He put in a year practicing with the team first. Somehow, it's not the same with a grad transfer who might take the QB position. I guess it's because I've come to admire Quintin Harris, and have heard only good things about his leadership qualities. And there's only one QB job.

But, I'll trust Cut if it happens.

Similar to OADs in b-ball I guess. If he comes onboard and beats out Q, why shouldn’t Cut play him? Same thing if Gunnar or another QB on the roster is better. I respect Q, but Doubt Cut ever promised Q he starts in 2019.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Austin Kendall: A really good guy and talented QB. Came to OU with Coach Riley. Misfortune to have Mayfield allowed by NCAA to have extra year, and Murray to have transferred in. Who knew? May be a great potential for us. He arrived OU mid season, graduated in 3; has 2 years left.

And apparently almost beat out Murray for the job in the pre season before this past year. How scary is that?

Bob Green
01-12-2019, 09:51 PM
This sounds promising...

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Didn't classes already start? If we actually were to get someone to transfer in, wouldn't Cut want them playing Spring ball?

As I said above, I'm not the biggest fan of a grad transfer; I would rather have one of our guys who has put the time in at Duke to be our starter. What would it say about Cut's confidence in Harris/Holmberg if he were to pursue Kendall?

CrazyNotCrazie
01-12-2019, 11:07 PM
Didn't classes already start? If we actually were to get someone to transfer in, wouldn't Cut want them playing Spring ball?

As I said above, I'm not the biggest fan of a grad transfer; I would rather have one of our guys who has put the time in at Duke to be our starter. What would it say about Cut's confidence in Harris/Holmberg if he were to pursue Kendall?

Good point. Just checked and it looks like classes started on Wednesday, so I'm not really sure how this would work. It seems very early - I would have guessed it wasn't until at least this Monday, but that's what the calendar says. Though Drop-Add ends January 23, so does he theoretically have until then?

It seems like he is very late to be doing this, because I agree that it would be preferable to have someone doing this enroll to participate in spring practice.

I assume that this also means that it is highly likely that Hurts is going to Oklahoma? Or that he is at least protecting himself in case that happens. Because it sounds like assuming Murray leaves (which is highly likely), he would otherwise be the strong favorite to be the starter there.

jimsumner
01-12-2019, 11:09 PM
I didn't hear any complaining two years ago when Evan Lisle came in as a grad-student transfer from The Ohio State University and beat out Sterling Korona and Christian Harris, both of whom had put in time with the program.

Should returning QBs be exempt from competition?

BlueDevil16
01-12-2019, 11:24 PM
Who are the reliable people talking about this transfer

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2019, 11:26 PM
I didn't hear any complaining two years ago when Evan Lisle came in as a grad-student transfer from The Ohio State University and beat out Sterling Korona and Christian Harris, both of whom had put in time with the program.

Should returning QBs be exempt from competition?

No offense, but who? If those are Duke guys (and I'm assuming they were) did any of them have a chance at sniffing the field?

Edit...Nevermind. I am in a QB mindset, I see they were linemen. I'm with the above poster that QBs in my head are different. They are the leader of the team (offense anyway), so I'd rather it be a guy that has been with the team for more than a couple months. (Unless he is a freshman.)

Stray Gator
01-12-2019, 11:41 PM
I'm confident that David Cutcliffe, given his history of extraordinary loyalty to assistants, values the past contributions of all returning players, and would never deliberately deprive one of a fair opportunity to compete for a starting position. But that does not mean that he is, or ever ought to feel, obligated to favor any player over another when it comes to determining who is best qualified to help the team win games. As head coach, his overriding responsibility is -- or properly should be in my opinion -- to the team. And I would hope that each of the players not only understands, but supports, that team-first priority.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2019, 12:16 AM
I'm confident that David Cutcliffe, given his history of extraordinary loyalty to assistants, values the past contributions of all returning players, and would never deliberately deprive one of a fair opportunity to compete for a starting position. But that does not mean that he is, or ever ought to feel, obligated to favor any player over another when it comes to determining who is best qualified to help the team win games. As head coach, his overriding responsibility is -- or properly should be in my opinion -- to the team. And I would hope that each of the players not only understands, but supports, that team-first priority.

You are 100% correct. However, it is impossible for me to remove the impression of athletic carpet-bagging. Just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
If we do get Kendall, or someone else, and they start, I'm still going to be cheering like hell with every play.

orrnot
01-13-2019, 12:19 AM
Good point. Just checked and it looks like classes started on Wednesday, so I'm not really sure how this would work. It seems very early - I would have guessed it wasn't until at least this Monday, but that's what the calendar says. Though Drop-Add ends January 23, so does he theoretically have until then?

Classes haven’t started for all of Duke’s graduate programs.

jimsumner
01-13-2019, 12:25 AM
No offense, but who? If those are Duke guys (and I'm assuming they were) did any of them have a chance at sniffing the field?

Edit...Nevermind. I am in a QB mindset, I see they were linemen. I'm with the above poster that QBs in my head are different. They are the leader of the team (offense anyway), so I'd rather it be a guy that has been with the team for more than a couple months. (Unless he is a freshman.)

How would you feel if Mike Krzyzewski brought in a grad-student transfer point guard? Wouldn't Jordan Goldwire have dibs? Or if McCallie brought in some badly-needed reinforcements? Chris Pollard's Duke baseball team broke a long NCAAT drought in 2016 with a weekend rotation that included two transfers, both of whom leap-frogged lesser-talented players with a longer investment in the program. Soccer, lacrosse, field hockey provide other examples.

Coaches recruit with a series of personnel assumptions and expectations that can be overturned quickly with injuries, transfers, early-pro-departures, suspensions, dismissals, and yes, the fact that not every recruit pans out.

Cutcliffe has said numerous times that it's a results-oriented-business and the players he recruits understand that.

I'll give you a recent example, more recent than Evan Lisle.

Jack Wohlabaugh came in as a transfer from Ohio State and somehow did not have to sit out a season. He began the season as backup center to redshirt senior Zach Harmon. Harmon missed some games with injuries. Wohlabaugh played well, better than Harmon had been playing. When Harmon came back, he moved back to his old position, guard, where he bumped junior Julian Santos. Both Harmon and Santos had more time invested in the Duke program than did the new kid on the block but the new kid gave Duke a better chance to win football games and I'm reasonably certain everyone involved understood that.

Cut has been unenthusiastic about the grad-student transfer market in part because he does value loyalty. But he also values putting the best team possible on the field and I see no compelling reason why the quarterback position should be exempt from that equation.

As always, YMMV.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2019, 12:38 AM
How would you feel if Mike Krzyzewski brought in a grad-student transfer point guard? Wouldn't Jordan Goldwire have dibs? Or if McCallie brought in some badly-needed reinforcements?

Not discounting any of your points or examples, but I'll focus on these two.
In basketball, we are used to the best players not staying for two years. Grad transfers are actually needed for programs to fill in gaping holes. Huge holes. Any player with skill is a sought commodity to fill the chasms left by OAD's. Goldwire hasn't started, and if a guy comes in that is better than him, and starts, I don't feel the same about it. It's the nature of the sport.
Should it be different for me in football? Nope. But without trying to impossibly explain it, it is.

If Coach P achieves that miracle, I'll get back on her bandwagon. But...I'm fairly confident that ain't gonna happen at this point in her Duke career.

budwom
01-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Who are the reliable people talking about this transfer

People at OK. They consider Kendall gone. Multiple stories up if you Google Kendall. The only question is his destination...he's from NC, he's been talking to Duke...may or may not end up here, but he's going somewhere. And probably very soon, since classes are starting (but cobbling together some grad program for him should be relatively easy, who knows, maybe even an MBA if he wants something ultra useful).

I get the comments about QH, but frankly we are underpopulated at the QB position, largely due to some major decommits (Sears and The Rat).

House G
01-13-2019, 08:19 AM
People at OK. They consider Kendall gone. Multiple stories up if you Google Kendall. The only question is his destination...he's from NC, he's been talking to Duke...may or may not end up here, but he's going somewhere. And probably very soon, since classes are starting (but cobbling together some grad program for him should be relatively easy, who knows, maybe even an MBA if he wants something ultra useful).

I get the comments about QH, but frankly we are underpopulated at the QB position, largely due to some major decommits (Sears and The Rat).

Yeah, I wish he would declare so we can start an Alabama thread :rolleyes:

sagegrouse
01-13-2019, 08:20 AM
You are 100% correct. However, it is impossible for me to remove the impression of athletic carpet-bagging. Just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
If we do get Kendall, or someone else, and they start, I'm still going to be cheering like hell with every play.

There seem to be different rules or a different ethos for quarterbacks, don't there? Unlike other positions, there is only one QB on the field and the starter seems to get 90+ percent of the playing time. Every good prospect wants a shot to start in college and make his way to the NFL, where, unlike at other positions, the QBs in the Not-For-Long league routinely play ten years or more.

arnie
01-13-2019, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I wish he would declare so we can start an Alabama thread :rolleyes:

Austin was a 4 star recruit from Waxhaw (2016) class. Depending on recruiting service, 4th to 9th top pro style QB.

Bob Green
01-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Austin was a 4 star recruit from Waxhaw (2016) class. Depending on recruiting service, 4th to 9th top pro style QB.

Here is his ESPN profile:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/188941/austin-kendall

Lots of P5 offers in addition to Oklahoma: Auburn, Clemson, Miami, Tennessee, N.C. State, West Virginia, Virginia.

budwom
01-13-2019, 09:26 AM
There seem to be different rules or a different ethos for quarterbacks, don't there? Unlike other positions, there is only one QB on the field and the starter seems to get 90+ percent of the playing time. Every good prospect wants a shot to start in college and make his way to the NFL, where, unlike at other positions, the QBs in the Not-For-Long league routinely play ten years or more.

And this is why defections by committed QBs are so devastating. I get it that in general, kids should be able to change their minds once they commit to a school, but I think the dynamic is a bit different with QBs. Coaches often look for just one QB per class, and once one commits, they stop recruiting others. Twice in recent years, Cut thought he had rock solid commitments from touted QBs (Sears and Surratt) and both of those guys defected, leaving Cut little time to find a suitable replacement.
Seems like perhaps some cosmic justice that Cut should be be the beneficiary of The Portal for a QB, IMO.

75Crazie
01-13-2019, 09:31 AM
<Deleted … I decided I don't want to get pulled into the abyss>

HereBeforeCoachK
01-13-2019, 09:33 AM
And this is why defections by committed QBs are so devastating. I get it that in general, kids should be able to change their minds once they commit to a school, but I think the dynamic is a bit different with QBs. Coaches often look for just one QB per class, and once one commits, they stop recruiting others. Twice in recent years, Cut thought he had rock solid commitments from touted QBs (Sears and Surratt) and both of those guys defected, leaving Cut little time to find a suitable replacement.
Seems like perhaps some cosmic justice that Cut should be be the beneficiary of The Portal for a QB, IMO.

And the QB dynamic is changing faster and faster. It started picking up speed when Saban inserted Tua into the Natty last year. Then really changed when he slotted Tua ahead of Jalen as permanent starter. When Dabo made the move to Lawrence, a whole new thing was upon us - especially when Bryant immediately said he was leaving. Then the injury versus Syracuse might've been a slight disturbance in the force of this change, but when Lawrence won the Natty last week.....well, game on for movement in the QB position.

What Saban and Dabo did - and congrats to them for making tough decisions that fly in the face of decades of FB tradition - makes it easier for any player or any coach to make a decision on QBs that was unthinkable just a few years ago. Brave new world.......

killerleft
01-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Well. Thanks to Jim Sumner, arnie, and others, I have seen the light.

Should it come to pass that Austin Kendall wants to transfer to Duke and Cut accepts him, let the competition begin. Best case scenario? Kendall is all we hoped for, and he still can't beat out Quentin Harris for the job.:):o

53n206
01-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Athletic carpet-bagging? He spent 3 years at OU and graduated. Doesn't sound like a bagger to me.

Acymetric
01-13-2019, 10:52 AM

This is a pretty big point that hasn't been brought up as much as it probably should be in this conversation. I do get why people aren't in love with a newcomer coming in and usurping the lead QB spot, but we are really thin at QB. As in, we aren't even completely sure we have a single viable backup on the roster right now (I am excited about Holmberg's future, but he is young and we don't have any clue whether he or Katrenick are ready to contribute if called upon). I won't be terribly disappointed if we don't get a grad transfer, but given our serious depth issues at the position I certainly won't be disappointed if we do.

chrishoke
01-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Adam Rowe

@AdamRoweTDD
42m
42 minutes ago

More
Adam Rowe Retweeted JC Shurburtt
From last night, Duke is considered a leader for Oklahoma QB transfer Austin Kendall, who grew up outside of Charlie, NC. The last Duke QB from Charlotte, @Daniel_Jones10, is a projected first round pick in this summers NFL draft. https://247sports.com/college/duke/Board/101615/Contents/john-rhys-plumlee-duke-blue-devils-football-recruiting-127593191/?Page=4#M127771444 …
Adam Rowe added,

JC Shurburtt
Verified account

@jcshurburtt
UPDATE: #Duke is still the leader in the clubhouse for #Sooners QB transfer Austin Kendall, but I hear #WVU #Auburn and #Utah have all been in touch today. @RJ_Young @Keith247Sports @mikecasazza @UteZone
1 reply
4 retweets
21 likes

Retweet

Direct message

BandAlum83
01-13-2019, 12:01 PM
What number Elvis will be our Next year's QB?

He is Elvis57, but as a QB, will wear #11

Bob Green
01-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Adam Rowe Retweeted JC Shurburtt
From last night, Duke is considered a leader for Oklahoma QB transfer Austin Kendall, who grew up outside of Charlie, NC. The last Duke QB from Charlotte, @Daniel_Jones10, is a projected first round pick in this summers NFL draft. https://247sports.com/college/duke/Board/101615/Contents/john-rhys-plumlee-duke-blue-devils-football-recruiting-127593191/?Page=4#M127771444 …
Adam Rowe added,

JC Shurburtt
Verified account

@jcshurburtt
UPDATE: #Duke is still the leader in the clubhouse for #Sooners QB transfer Austin Kendall, but I hear #WVU #Auburn and #Utah have all been in touch today. @RJ_Young @Keith247Sports @mikecasazza @UteZone

Thanks for the update. This is some unexpected off season excitement.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Athletic carpet-bagging? He spent 3 years at OU and graduated. Doesn't sound like a bagger to me.

He is a backup QB seeking a starting job. To me, that is athletic carpet bagging. Since he can't earn it where he is, he's looking elsewhere. (Which is the reason behind most transfers, but as stated for more than one reason that I won't bring back up, I'm not a fan of the idea.)

FYI, the irony of this is that I've watched two recent Duke QBs transfer out, but their reasons are a bit different. Thomas Sirk was coming off a year in which he never played due to injury, and went to play for Scottie Montgomery, and Connette transferred in large part due to his mother's health.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-13-2019, 12:21 PM
He is a backup QB seeking a starting job. To me, that is athletic carpet bagging. Since he can't earn it where he is, he's looking elsewhere. (Which is the reason behind most transfers, but as stated for more than one reason that I won't bring back up, I'm not a fan of the idea.)

That's a pretty harsh assessment for you....and look, I get the carpet bagging notion....and I don't really disagree with it in theory. That said, the QB realities in college have changed dramatically in the past few years, and really, a lot in the past 13 months.

You know, now yankees coming to the south are no longer carpet baggers.....they're simply acting normal.......(a little civil war analogy). ;)

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2019, 12:25 PM
That's a pretty harsh assessment for you...and look, I get the carpet bagging notion...and I don't really disagree with it in theory. That said, the QB realities in college have changed dramatically in the past few years, and really, a lot in the past 13 months.

You know, now yankees coming to the south are no longer carpet baggers....they're simply acting normal....(a little civil war analogy). ;)

It is. But also like I said, if he or any other QB comes to Duke and is the starter, I'm cheering like hell everytime they are on the field.

BandAlum83
01-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Classes haven’t started for all of Duke’s graduate programs.

Did the guy we are talking about graduate in December, or will he be graduating after spring semester? I don’t generally see how grad transfers would be able to begin classes in spring,or is my collegiate calendar messed up?

Acymetric
01-13-2019, 12:29 PM

FYI, the irony of this is that I've watched two recent Duke QBs transfer out, but their reasons are a bit different. Thomas Sirk was coming off a year in which he never played due to injury, and went to play for Scottie Montgomery, and Connette transferred in large part due to his mother's health.

Actually, I think Kendall would have been the presumptive starter at OU this year (word is he narrowly lost the job to Kyler Murray leading up to this season). He played behind two Heisman winners (Mayfield and Murray). It isn't clear to me why he is leaving OU and I'm not sure it has been explicitly reported, but it doesn't appear to be related to lack of opportunity to start. There are rumors that Hurts might be looking at OU, but a) Those reports started popping up after Kendall announced he would tranfer and b) it isn't obvious Hurts would beat out Kendall for the job anyway.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Also...while I have my qualms with it, it is pretty great that Duke is a program under consideration for any transfer. That speaks volumes to the job that Cut is doing.

uh_no
01-13-2019, 12:35 PM
That's a pretty harsh assessment for you...and look, I get the carpet bagging notion...and I don't really disagree with it in theory. That said, the QB realities in college have changed dramatically in the past few years, and really, a lot in the past 13 months.

You know, now yankees coming to the south are no longer carpet baggers...they're simply acting normal...(a little civil war analogy). ;)

I agree...given that this guy probably has little shot to play after college, do you blame him for trying to go somewhere where he might?

Bob Green
01-13-2019, 12:39 PM
I agree...given that this guy probably has little shot to play after college, do you blame him for trying to go somewhere where he might?

I disagree with your assessment. He has played behind two Heisman Trophy winners. Pure opinion here but I expect he has NFL aspirations and desires to be tutored by Coach Cutcliffe to improve his opportunity.

uh_no
01-13-2019, 12:40 PM
I disagree with your assessment. He has played behind two Heisman Trophy winners. Pure opinion here but I expect he has NFL aspirations and desires to be tutored by Coach Cutcliffe to improve his opportunity.

I'll cede to you here :)

75Crazie
01-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Also...while I have my qualms with it, it is pretty great that Duke is a program under consideration for any transfer. That speaks volumes to the job that Cut is doing.
Now, that is one thing I'll whole-heartedly concur with. In the often-sordid "business" of college football, Cutcliffe is a shining star. Duke is very lucky to have him.

chrishoke
01-13-2019, 01:24 PM
The few transfers we have taken have been great teammates, solid contributors and excellent representatives of Duke. Cut has earned my trust here.

53n206
01-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Some talk about Mike Leach wanting Hurt at Washington state. Obviously Hurt has many opportunities.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2019, 05:58 PM
I would think (or at least hope) this puts the talk of Kendall transferring from Oklahoma to bed.

Kyler Murray, the first-round Major League Baseball draft pick and Heisman Trophy-winning Oklahoma quarterback, declared himself eligible for the NFL draft on Monday.

If he still transfers, best wishes to the Sooners' coaches filling the void. I've read though, that the coaches don't expect him to be back, and knew Murray was transferring. Also, he visited WVU today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sooners-qb-as-prospect-kyler-murray-declares-for-nfl-draft/ar-BBSfquz?li=BBnb7Kz

Maybe he didn't like the wind sweeping down the plains.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2019, 06:17 PM
I would think (or at least hope) this puts the talk of Kendall transferring from Oklahoma to bed.

If he still transfers, best wishes to the Sooners' coaches filling the void. I've read though, that the coaches don't expect him to be back, and knew Murray was transferring. Also, he visited WVU today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sooners-qb-as-prospect-kyler-murray-declares-for-nfl-draft/ar-BBSfquz?li=BBnb7Kz

Has Jalen Hurts made his decision about where he will be? He visited OK Saturday. He's also visited Maryland, but wouldn't be in a position to contend for a national championship there.

Bob Green
01-14-2019, 06:36 PM
Another factor is Oklahoma has another highly rated quarterback recruit arriving in this year's class:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/217105

Spencer Rattler is the #1 quarterback and #17 overall player in the ESPN300 rankings:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2019

devildeac
01-14-2019, 06:41 PM
Another factor is Oklahoma has another highly rated quarterback recruit arriving in this year's class:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/217105

Spencer Rattler is the #1 quarterback and #17 overall player in the ESPN300 rankings:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2019

Is Rattler a better QB name than Gunnar?

:o:rolleyes:

Acymetric
01-14-2019, 06:46 PM

Kendall was already transferring, and Kyler Murray was already going to put his name into the draft (and he was going to leave for baseball if he didn't do that). This has no bearing (it is just making official what was already known). That's why it was somewhat surprising that Kendall was transferring.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-14-2019, 06:49 PM

I'll go Gunnar by a nose......but hey, they're all fighting for second best name after Sonny Sixkiller.....

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Rattler makes me think of Kenny Stabler, aka Snake.

BlueDevil16
01-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Apparently Duke isn't considering Austin anymore

HereBeforeCoachK
01-15-2019, 06:52 PM

or is it the other way around? What's the source?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Is this related to Austin's visit to Auburn over the weekend?

budwom
01-16-2019, 09:41 AM
Looks like it's all been a tease, Plumlee isn't coming, Kendall isn't coming, kid from Oregon isn't coming. Wish I hadn't got my hopes up, silly me.

johnb
01-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Kendall was already transferring, and Kyler Murray was already going to put his name into the draft (and he was going to leave for baseball if he didn't do that). This has no bearing (it is just making official what was already known). That's why it was somewhat surprising that Kendall was transferring.

Kendall committed to OU in the fall of 2015 and enrolled early. Rivals rated him the #4 pro style QB in his class. He expected he’d compete with or back up Baker Mayfield and then have a clear chance to start. A month later, former five-star Kyler Murray announced his decision to transfer to OU. So Kendall backed up Mayfield for a year (while Murray sat out) and was then told to red shirt in 2017 while Murray backed up Mayfield. This past year, he backed up Murray. Next year, there’s another 4 star on the roster, the incoming top QB in the country (Rattler), the possibility of a Hurts transfer, and even the possibility that Murray will play baseball,pocket his $4.6 m signing bonus, and RETURN to OU for a senior year and then enter the NFL draft the following year (this would factor in his apparent preference for football, the likelihood his signing bonus for baseball>his 1st year salary in football, and wishful OU thinking).

Kendall could certainly think that he was blindsided by the Murray transfer and had never been given a real opportunity (though in 8 career games at OU, he completed 28-of-39 for 265 yards and three touchdowns) and that he might never start an OU game going forward. And that would be a bummer—and not just bc OU’s entering class includes 4 wide receivers (2 5 star and 2 4 star).

Since he has graduated, he can play right away and could enroll right now. My reading of the rules is that he would have TWO years of eligibility remaining.

He’s visited Auburn and is looking at West Virginia and us. All 3 schools have lost top tier qb’s. If Cut takes him, great. If not, I’m sure our current guys will also be fine.

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2017/8/29/16219930/oklahoma-sooners-football-redshirt-austin-kendall-kyler-murray-lincoln-riley-backup-quarterback
https://247sports.com/player/spencer-rattler-87297/
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/5/9/17311748/ncaa-transfer-rules-change-guide-list-sit-out

BlueDevil16
01-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Kendall committed to OU in the fall of 2015 and enrolled early. Rivals rated him the #4 pro style QB in his class. He expected he’d compete with or back up Baker Mayfield and then have a clear chance to start. A month later, former five-star Kyler Murray announced his decision to transfer to OU. So Kendall backed up Mayfield for a year (while Murray sat out) and was then told to red shirt in 2017 while Murray backed up Mayfield. This past year, he backed up Murray. Next year, there’s another 4 star on the roster, the incoming top QB in the country (Rattler), the possibility of a Hurts transfer, and even the possibility that Murray will play baseball,pocket his $4.6 m signing bonus, and RETURN to OU for a senior year and then enter the NFL draft the following year (this would factor in his apparent preference for football, the likelihood his signing bonus for baseball>his 1st year salary in football, and wishful OU thinking).

Kendall could certainly think that he was blindsided by the Murray transfer and had never been given a real opportunity (though in 8 career games at OU, he completed 28-of-39 for 265 yards and three touchdowns) and that he might never start an OU game going forward. And that would be a bummer—and not just bc OU’s entering class includes 4 wide receivers (2 5 star and 2 4 star).

Since he has graduated, he can play right away and could enroll right now. My reading of the rules is that he would have TWO years of eligibility remaining.

He’s visited Auburn and is looking at West Virginia and us. All 3 schools have lost top tier qb’s. If Cut takes him, I’d think we should be thrilled. If not, I’m sure our current guys will also be fine.

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2017/8/29/16219930/oklahoma-sooners-football-redshirt-austin-kendall-kyler-murray-lincoln-riley-backup-quarterback
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/5/9/17311748/ncaa-transfer-rules-change-guide-list-sit-out

I don't have insight into why Duke isn't considering him anymore, but it seems like a mistake. I like QH and know that it wouldn't be a good feeling to lose the job to a transfer, but I don't think he can lead the team to a successful season next year with the schedule. A different QB has a better chance.

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2019, 10:48 AM
I don't have insight into why Duke isn't considering him anymore, but it seems like a mistake. I like QH and know that it wouldn't be a good feeling to lose the job to a transfer, but I don't think he can lead the team to a successful season next year with the schedule. A different QB has a better chance.

I remember all of us being nervous and more than a few having doubts when we went to Baylor. We blew their doors off with a 40 point game, led by Harris. I have confidence in his abilities, and that was a nice game to instill that faith.

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Tate Martell, the Ohio St. redshirt-FR quarterback this year, entered the transfer portal yesterday after Fields announced he was transferring to Ohio St. Martell was an ESPN 300 player. Though I know it will never happen, maybe we can get more of that Ohio St. to Duke magic pipeline going. With that said, Martell apparently followed three coaches on twitter. None were Cut. In any case, thought it was interesting thinking about the potential impact of Fields' transfer.

Martell is headed to Miami.

BD80
01-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Martell is headed to Miami.

Didn't he play professionally for the Washington Sentinels? The Replacements, 2000.

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Didn't he play professionally for the Washington Sentinels? The Replacements, 2000.

Every time I read his name, that is exactly what pops into my head. I hope he has more heart!

fuse
01-16-2019, 12:55 PM

There’s no fact based evidence to support your statement. It’s your privilege to share gut feel, opinion, and all that good fun fan stuff.

QH has performed admirably when he has had the opportunity.

This season’s schedule was tough, and compounded by injuries. Next season’s schedule appears to be tougher.

It might be another nailbiter of a season for bowl eligibility. I’d think our best chance for a good season offensively is QH. Perhaps this new towel waving WR coach can improve how our receiving corps handles the ball.

BD80
01-16-2019, 01:35 PM
... Perhaps this new towel waving WR coach can improve how our receiving corps handles the ball.

While I'm on "The Replacements," maybe we should hire Clifford Franklin as the WR coach!

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2019, 01:40 PM
While I'm on "The Replacements," maybe we should hire Clifford Franklin as the WR coach!

Without quoting it, I'll say that is one of the funniest lines in all of moviedom.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2019, 01:44 PM
I remember all of us being nervous and more than a few having doubts when we went to Baylor. We blew their doors off with a 40 point game, led by Harris. I have confidence in his abilities, and that was a nice game to instill that faith.

Absolutely agree with this.

And QH's press conferences, as I recall stating at the time, are really interesting. Remarkably poised and calm.

If someone beats him out for the job, so be it. But I'm more than comfortable with QH running the offense in the upcoming season (only 7+ months until kick-off!)

CrazyNotCrazie
01-16-2019, 01:47 PM

He’s visited Auburn and is looking at West Virginia and us. All 3 schools have lost top tier qb’s. If Cut takes him, great. If not, I’m sure our current guys will also be fine.

And here is the official answer about why Kendall is leaving - Hurts to Oklahoma. This seemed fairly obvious - Kendall saw the handwriting on the wall that Hurts was coming and decided he better hustle and start looking around while he could.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25778069/alabama-quarterback-jalen-hurts-transfer-oklahoma-senior-season

Bob Green
01-16-2019, 03:21 PM
OU attempting to block immediate eligibility for Austin Kendall at West Virginia:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/oklahoma-qb-austin-kendall-college-football-news-grad-transfer-west-virginia-jalen-hurts-alabama/n2wxu7d283bp1nwq2apdhzl8e

https://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/reports-oklahoma-blocking-austin-kendall-s-try-for-immediate-eligibility/article_3808affa-19b6-11e9-b321-9b13a17dc14a.html

Kendall entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal last week, has graduated and possesses two years of remaining eligibility. He is allowed to join West Virginia under NCAA rules, but OU is permitted to keep him from becoming eligible in 2019, thus limiting him to one year of eligibility.

Seeing as Jalen Hurts is transferring into OU, it is really bad form that OU is hindering Kendall's efforts to move on. It appears the Sooners desire to have their cake and eat it too.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-16-2019, 03:51 PM
OU attempting to block immediate eligibility for Austin Kendall at West Virginia:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/oklahoma-qb-austin-kendall-college-football-news-grad-transfer-west-virginia-jalen-hurts-alabama/n2wxu7d283bp1nwq2apdhzl8e

https://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/reports-oklahoma-blocking-austin-kendall-s-try-for-immediate-eligibility/article_3808affa-19b6-11e9-b321-9b13a17dc14a.html

Seeing as Jalen Hurts is transferring into OU, it is really bad form that OU is hindering Kendall's efforts to move on. It appears the Sooners desire to have their cake and eat it too.

Interesting development. Wonder how Austin will respond. Will this influence him to take a serious look outside that conference?

BlueDevil16
01-16-2019, 06:16 PM
There’s no fact based evidence to support your statement. It’s your privilege to share gut feel, opinion, and all that good fun fan stuff.

QH has performed admirably when he has had the opportunity.

This season’s schedule was tough, and compounded by injuries. Next season’s schedule appears to be tougher.

It might be another nailbiter of a season for bowl eligibility. I’d think our best chance for a good season offensively is QH. Perhaps this new towel waving WR coach can improve how our receiving corps handles the ball.

Not much fact to your post. Staff didn't trust QH to throw the ball against Northwestern. Sure he beat Baylor, but they weren't the Baylor of a few years ago. He threw an INT in the bowl game.

I want him to do well, but I'd take a 4-star QB that almost beat out a QB that almost won the Heisman. Cut's loyalty has been his downfall at times, hope it isn't the case again.

CameronBornAndBred
01-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Cut's loyalty has been his downfall at times, hope it isn't the case again.

The same Cutcliffe that didn't play Harris as an injured Daniel Jones led the way during our 6 game nose dive in 2017?
If coach doesn't have faith in his player to win, he's not playing him, even at the cost of us losing. He found that faith this season, and I'm sure that he will have the confidence in him or Holmberg next season. That isn't the same as loyalty.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-16-2019, 06:27 PM

It is tacky, but I wonder if they'd block him outside the Big 12.

Acymetric
01-16-2019, 06:44 PM
It is tacky, but I wonder if they'd block him outside the Big 12.

Pretty sure they can't, this is just a rule for intra-conference transfers.

Bob Green
01-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Staff didn't trust QH to throw the ball against Northwestern.

I disagree with your assessment.

Duke was winning 21-7, on the road, when Daniel Jones was injured at the end of the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter, the coaching staff decided to ride the defense by playing safe on offense to avoid a turnover giving NW a short field. Basically, Duke was playing not to lose.

The following week the game plan was prepared knowing Harris was the QB and Duke came out throwing the ball against Baylor.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-16-2019, 06:50 PM
I disagree with your assessment.

Duke was winning 21-7, on the road, when Daniel Jones was injured at the end of the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter, the coaching staff decided to ride the defense by playing safe on offense to avoid a turnover giving NW a short field. Basically, Duke was playing not to lose.

The following week the game plan was prepared knowing Harris was the QB and Duke came out throwing the ball against Baylor.

And, while the defense was so stout at NW, Harris did make a very key first down on a nice run, showing very good quickness. That was a big moment in the game.

Bob Green
01-16-2019, 07:16 PM
It appears OU has reconsidered and will not block immediate eligibility:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25780411/oklahoma-sooners-allow-austin-kendall-transfer-west-virginia-mountaineers

Kendall is expected to enroll at West Virginia next week.

BD80
01-16-2019, 07:24 PM

At OU it's not cake, it's cow pie ...

SavDukeGrad
01-16-2019, 07:30 PM
It appears OU has reconsidered and will not block immediate eligibility:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25780411/oklahoma-sooners-allow-austin-kendall-transfer-west-virginia-mountaineers

Kendall is expected to enroll at West Virginia next week.

This seems to me like a very similar situation to Cam Johnson’s transfer from Pitt. Johnson had graduated but had 2 years of eligibility remaining. But transferring within the ACC mandated he sit out a year. Pitt tried to prevent it but caved to pressure, thus Johnson was available last year for UNC.

fuse
01-16-2019, 10:15 PM
Not much fact to your post. Staff didn't trust QH to throw the ball against Northwestern. Sure he beat Baylor, but they weren't the Baylor of a few years ago. He threw an INT in the bowl game.

I want him to do well, but I'd take a 4-star QB that almost beat out a QB that almost won the Heisman. Cut's loyalty has been his downfall at times, hope it isn't the case again.

Two starts, two wins.
3 TDs in each game including 60+ bombs.

You can play the “but NCCU is a weak opponent” which is offset by “had to come in and protect the Northwestern win”.

He has the confidence of his teammates, and experience in the system.

QH has done more than enough to have earned respect from fans and to have an opportunity to be the next starting QB.