PDA

View Full Version : AP and Coaches' Polls

DoubleDuke Dad
12-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Duke is now #1 in both polls. Duke went up 4 points in the Coaches Poll to overtake Virginia.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 02:19 PM
Duke went up 4 points in the Coaches Poll to overtake Virginia.

Duke gets all the calls.

(Not sure I agree with us passing Virginia during the lack of any action, but whatever)

Rich
12-31-2018, 03:00 PM
Duke is now #1 in both polls. Duke went up 4 points in the Coaches Poll to overtake Virginia.

Duke gets all the calls.

(Not sure I agree with us passing Virginia during the lack of any action, but whatever)

Must've been the kick butt autograph session that put us over the top -- https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42907-Anybody-get-autographs-yesterday

thedukelamere
12-31-2018, 03:05 PM
Must've been the kick butt autograph session that put us over the top -- https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42907-Anybody-get-autographs-yesterday

From what I hear, we didn't execute the packed line as well as the Hoos, so I'm not sure if that's why we jumped them..

budwom
12-31-2018, 03:21 PM

Coaches were diagnosed with excessive eggnog consumption after the previous poll. More clear of mind now. (OK, I readily concede UVA is hardly a laughable choice).

cakerace
12-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Coaches were diagnosed with excessive eggnog consumption after the previous poll. More clear of mind now. (OK, I readily concede UVA is hardly a laughable choice).

Last week's lead USAToday sports editorial: "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!"

This week's lead USAToday sports editorial. "Sorry, Virginia, there is also a Grinch..."

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 03:59 PM

Coaches polls are great...in theory. In practice, they live in a bubble concerned only with their next opponent. They have to. They cannot afford to spend time or energy on who is doing what around the country. Reporters are paid to do just that.

I'm thinking they saw Duke 1 and UVa 4 in the other poll and some shifted.

fathippo
12-31-2018, 04:38 PM
AP voter Graham Couch still refuses to rank us because we have not had a "true road game".

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll-voter/graham-couch

Based on his logic, the Wake Forest game will be this team's first real test.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 04:58 PM
AP voter Graham Couch still refuses to rank us because we have not had a "true road game".

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll-voter/graham-couch

What a tool.

devildeac
12-31-2018, 05:41 PM
What a tool.

You're being very kind.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 06:15 PM
You're being very kind.

I am, if nothing else, a benevolent and merciful forgiver of man. And an Aquarius.

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-31-2018, 06:26 PM
At this point in the season, why does it matter?

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 06:47 PM
At this point in the season, why does it matter?

It may be a somewhat meaningless early honor, but an honor nonetheless. While we have gotten pretty blasé about it as Duke fans, I bet it means a lot to UVA and also our young players.

If you’re not first, you’re last.

devildeac
12-31-2018, 06:55 PM
I am, if nothing else, a benevolent and merciful forgiver of man. And an Aquarius.

Good thing you're not an Aquaman...

(or an Aqualung, I guess :rolleyes:)

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 07:02 PM

You poor old sod . . . .

SoCalDukeFan
12-31-2018, 07:05 PM
in the top 25 in either poll.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 07:17 PM
It may be a somewhat meaningless early honor, but an honor nonetheless. While we have gotten pretty blasé about it as Duke fans, I bet it means a lot to UVA and also our young players..

Only a tiny percentage of college players can say that they ever played on a number one ranked team at any time. It is not as meaningful as a late season or ultimate number one for sure, but it does matter. Helps recruiting, tickets sales, etc, as well.

timmy c
12-31-2018, 07:17 PM

But he can score with either hand...
You know, amphibious?!?!

JasonEvans
01-01-2019, 02:11 AM
No Pac 12 Team
in the top 25 in either poll.

Well, seeing as the highest rated Pac 12 team in the Pomeroy rankings is #39, I think the voters should be lauded for not falling for that well known West Coast bias.