PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure missing seeing our team.

porkpa
12-31-2018, 10:15 AM
January 4th seems too far away. I can't remember our guys ever being off this long.

mattman91
12-31-2018, 10:18 AM
January 4th seems too far away. I can't remember our guys ever being off this long.

It feels like July.

SlapTheFloor
12-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Agreed. For fun, if you were Coach K, what would you have the team work on most during the break?

mattman91
12-31-2018, 10:26 AM
Agreed. For fun, if you were Coach K, what would you have the team work on most during the break?

Getting the damn ball to Zion.

DukeFanSince1990
12-31-2018, 10:31 AM

Got bad news boss, its the 5th. And at 8, all the way at the end of the day.....

hudlow
12-31-2018, 10:34 AM

Avoiding charging fouls...
and free throws.
:)

dukelifer
12-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Free throw shooting and drive and kick passing.

arnie
12-31-2018, 12:03 PM

Really, really surprised K didn’t schedule a warmup game this week. Gonna be very rusty Saturday night. I can’t recall 16-17 day breaks in season before.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-31-2018, 12:12 PM

Algebra.

BigWayne
12-31-2018, 12:22 PM
Really, really surprised K didn’t schedule a warmup game this week. Gonna be very rusty Saturday night. I can’t recall 16-17 day breaks in season before.

They've not had a break this long in the last ten years at least. I checked that online at goduke.com. I was going to check back further, but the archive records aren't available there anymore because they were outsourced to some place called lsiconsulting.com and the links don't work.

thedukelamere
12-31-2018, 12:27 PM
Algebra.

Luckily this team is acing Chemistry.

DukieInBrasil
12-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Getting the damn ball to Zion.
Ding ding ding!!! That's been my thought since for a while. RJ has his supporters, including K, and at times he does in fact do amazing things, but his efficiency is not very good, and if he becomes better aware of how to involve his highly talented teammates, such as Zion, then this team will get even better.

Free throw shooting and drive and kick passing.
Yeah, FTs are something they don't need team time to practice, but the drive n kick passing is certainly something i hope the coaching staff really hones in on, and maybe even coming up with innovative ways for this particular group to utilize that better.

They've not had a break this long in the last ten years at least. I checked that online at goduke.com. I was going to check back further, but the archive records aren't available there anymore because they were outsourced to some place called lsiconsulting.com and the links don't work.
My worry is that Duke's 2+ weeks off will cause at least the 1st half to be really rusty, hopefully not sloppy. Clemson otoh, will have have played less than a week prior and will have less rust. I'm sensing that Duke will probably play Clemson +/- even in the 1st half, but it's the 2nd half that will determine the victor, and i think Duke's talent and depth will wear the Tiggers down.

jimsumner
12-31-2018, 01:36 PM
Duke played Michigan on December 14, 1991 and didn't play again until December 30, against William and Mary. That's the longest gap I can come up with until this year.

The Michigan game was an overtime win at Ann Arbor over the Fab Five.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 01:39 PM
The Michigan game was an overtime win at Ann Arbor over the Fab Five.

A very key game in the whole story of the Fab Five and Duke's dynasty IMO......Fab 5 played great, pushed Duke to the end, and the Michigan crowd was nuts....great win. So to beat them on their home court, then slap them silly in the NCAAT title game later that season was suh-weet.

gam7
12-31-2018, 01:43 PM

We are still scheduled to play the maximum number of non-post-season games permitted this season (as we do every year). I agree that it doesn't feel like it.

Last season, we played our 12th game on Dec. 9; whereas, this year we played our 12th game on Dec. 20. The post-season tournaments are a week later (the NCAA finals are on April 8!), so we are a week (2 games) behind the dates of last season's games.

tteettimes
12-31-2018, 01:44 PM
A very key game in the whole story of the Fab Five and Duke's dynasty IMO...Fab 5 played great, pushed Duke to the end, and the Michigan crowd was nuts...great win. So to beat them on their home court, then slap them silly in the NCAAT title game later that season was suh-weet.

Still is 🤗🤗

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 01:50 PM

Likely due to the fact that Thanksgiving formerly marked the "pre-season" tournament period (Great Alaska Shootout, Maui Invitational, and a few others). Now, we start weeks earlier and there's only so many games you can play.

Also, it's ESPN bowl season so they aren't pushing for the extra games now either.