PDA

View Full Version : NFL draft conversation (with lots of Daniel Jones stuff)

Pages : [1] 2 3

loran16
12-27-2018, 08:06 PM
Because somebody had to start it (and this thread can serve as an obligatory Jones NFL Draft talk and celebratory thread).

Not sure there's been another Duke QB in the modern era with a comparable career to Jones and I'm gonna miss him (since I'm sure he's going). Boone has the only accomplishment Jones failed to get as the Coastal Champ, but Boone had an utterly elite offensive line to go with two of Duke's best wide receivers ever. Jones did more with less than anyone I can remember.

fuse
12-27-2018, 08:55 PM
I wish him well as he mulls his decision, and thank him for everything he did for Duke.

I can’t see any upside for him returning, and a huge amount of risk playing against Alabama and a crowded 2020 draft class.

It will be interesting to see if he can carve out a role in the NFL like Dave Brown did, or better.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-27-2018, 09:09 PM
I wish him well as he mulls his decision, and thank him for everything he did for Duke.

I can’t see any upside for him returning, and a huge amount of risk playing against Alabama and a crowded 2020 draft class.

It will be interesting to see if he can carve out a role in the NFL like Dave Brown did, or better.

Well let's not forget everything Duke did for him too....taking a chance on a player few colleges were interested in...developing under Cut and other coaches, etc.

And you make a good point about the risk of playing Bama next season. I do however see a potential upside for him coming back, as well as a potential risk of course. Given all that, I think he'll go. I'm not sure that's his best 5 year decision, but it will be an overwhelmingly good two year decision I think.

JasonEvans
12-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Just wanted to point out that he has been at Duke for 4 years and is getting his degree. Next year would be a graduated year and while that is a fine thing, I am betting he is ready to move on to what is next.

Oh, and his draft stock will likely never be higher and he is coming into one of the worst years for QB draft prospects in a very long time. There's a decent chance (25% or so?) he could even be a first round draft pick.

-Jason "thanks for all you have done, DJ. Being a high draft pick and succeeding in the NFL will help us in recruiting too!" Evans

loran16
12-27-2018, 09:17 PM
Just wanted to point out that he has been at Duke for 4 years and is getting his degree. Next year would be a graduated year and while that is a fine thing, I am betting he is ready to move on to what is next.

Oh, and his draft stock will likely never be higher and he is coming into one of the worst years for QB draft prospects in a very long time. There's a decent chance (25% or so?) he could even be a first round draft pick.

-Jason "thanks for all you have done, DJ. Being a high draft pick and succeeding in the NFL will help us in recruiting too!" Evans

Exactly. This isn't even the "One and Dones" shouldn't leave thing here (though I think they should go as well if they're first rounders) - Jones is graduating from Duke and a grad degree he'd get by staying probably isn't one that would have much use to him in post-football life (seriously, how often do those grad degrees for redshirt seniors actually benefit the kids more than their ordinary undergrad degrees? I can't imagine much).

It'd be one thing if Duke was returning significant other players and was like a title contender or something next year with Jones, but at best they're a coastal contender next year with Jones, which is not much of an incentive to come back IMO. And next year's QB class is much stronger competition for the Draft.

OldPhiKap
12-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Have really enjoyed DJ, wish him luck with the decision. Look forward to watching you next year whether it be on a Saturday or (more likely IMO) Sunday.

#DukeGang brother.

Duke05
12-27-2018, 09:45 PM

I completely agree with Jason's sign-off point. As much as I'd enjoy seeing Jones at Duke next year, my guess is that having him as a high draft pick in 2019 helps us our program significantly in the long run.

In other words, this is the first time I can think of where I'm rooting for a Duke player (in any sport) to enter a draft "early." And I do think it'd be really cool / a great statement about our program if he ended up a first-rounder and/or the first QB off the board.

(This is terrible; I'm guessing this is how Calipari feels about his early entrants. Ew. Time for a shower...)

dukelifer
12-27-2018, 09:54 PM
I completely agree with Jason's sign-off point. As much as I'd enjoy seeing Jones at Duke next year, my guess is that having him as a high draft pick in 2019 helps us our program significantly in the long run.

In other words, this is the first time I can think of where I'm rooting for a Duke player (in any sport) to enter a draft "early." And I do think it'd be really cool / a great statement about our program if he ended up a first-rounder and/or the first QB off the board.

(This is terrible; I'm guessing this is how Calipari feels about his early entrants. Ew. Time for a shower...)

A player who gets a degree is not really entering early. He has also likely not played his last game of football unlike a number of seniors on the team. Football players have a short shelf life. Time to move on. He has shown that he is more than ready.

duke2x
12-27-2018, 10:15 PM
I thought his departure was pretty clear before he muddied the waters with his recent comments. DJ has done all you could really ask of a future professional Duke student-athlete--much like Jason Williams and Carlos Boozer. We played one of the toughest schedules in recent Duke football history. If the NY Football Giants want him, we aren't going to fall off a cliff with Harris getting a full season of preseason reps.

wavedukefan70s
12-27-2018, 11:56 PM
The dead skins need a qb badly. After the possible career end break of thier QBs leg.maybe he can throw to Jamison crowder. May they never beat the cowboys again though.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-28-2018, 06:39 AM
As much as I'd love for DJ to stay at Duke next season, I think it makes far too much sense for him to declare for the draft and go to the NFL next season. Ouch, it hurts to say that!

Did anyone else notice that Gunnar got a couple of snaps at the end of the game? :cool: He had a nice run, too (on first and 25, I believe).

TruBlu
12-28-2018, 06:51 AM
Did anyone else notice that Gunnar got a couple of snaps at the end of the game? :cool: He had a nice run, too (on first and 25, I believe).

Yes. He gained 19 yards on his only carry. If he maintains that pace next year as a starter, and gets 20 carries/game, we will have a dominant offense.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Yes. He gained 19 yards on his only carry. If he maintains that pace next year as a starter, and gets 20 carries/game, we will have a dominant offense.

Anything less will be disappointing.

That was a nice misdirection, naked bootleg. Good to see.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-28-2018, 07:49 AM
That was a nice misdirection, naked bootleg. Good to see.

On that topic, and on the situation that I think DJ is 90% likely to go (i'm not at 100% yet)- I'd really have liked to have seen Gunnar and Katrenick throw a couple. I wonder if a few of the more well connected folks around here know how the staff and players feel about QH, Gunnar, Katrenick, relative to each other.

And at the tail end of Cut's presser, he was asked "what had Daniel Jones meant to the program" and Cut said "Well I can tell you coming back what he means to this program..." and was kind of laughing. Hard from context to fully understand that......

Native
12-28-2018, 08:20 AM
Jones should 100% go if he’s hearing even remotely positive things about his draft prospects, which I have to imagine he is. He’s done so much for this program and the time is right.

Bob Green
12-28-2018, 08:43 AM
At times like this fans cannot be greedy. My desire is for Daniel Jones to make the best decision for Daniel Jones. I'm confident he will be given proper guidance from Coach Cutcliffe.

BD80
12-28-2018, 09:04 AM
At times like this fans cannot be greedy. My desire is for Daniel Jones to make the best decision for Daniel Jones. I'm confident he will be given proper guidance from Coach Cutcliffe.

Having a QB go in the first round, along with the rhetoric we'll hear ad nauseum about Cut and the Mannings, will be great publicity for the program and great for recruiting, particularly for recruiting 4 and 5 star QB prospects. What is good for DJ may also be good for the program.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2018, 09:11 AM

Having a QB go in the first round, along with the rhetoric we'll hear ad nauseum about Cut and the Mannings, will be great publicity for the program and great for recruiting, particularly for recruiting 4 and 5 star QB prospects. What is good for DJ may also be good for the program.

Both of these statements are true. Cut has been great for Duke. Jones has been great for Duke. I trust he will make the decision that makes the most sense for him, and I am sure that Cut will give him the best guidance possible.

Thanks to both!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-28-2018, 09:16 AM

And thinking about this....I wonder if there are any second thoughts from the Clemson transfer Hunter Johnson.....who went to NW after considering Duke.

dukelifer
12-28-2018, 10:09 AM

He is getting a lot of love out there at the moment. He made a case yesterday that will be hard to top. The broken collarbone may have been enough to tell him that situations can change in an instant.

mattman91
12-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Who thinks DJ will go higher in the 2019 NFL Draft than Tre Jones in the 2019 NBA Draft?

curtis325
12-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Who thinks DJ will go higher in the 2019 NFL Draft than Tre Jones in the 2019 NBA Draft?

Keeping up with the Joneses.

JasonEvans
12-28-2018, 10:36 AM

Ooooh, this is a fun pie bet in the making!

mattman91
12-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Ooooh, this is a fun pie bet in the making!

I'll take Tre.

I'm down for a pie bet if I have any takers.

Avvocato
12-28-2018, 11:29 AM

Well said. Additionally, he's not only been here four years with a degree, he's been a 3-year starter. Some guys facing this decision (see Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State) have one year of experience as a starter, and the debate is whether he could use another year. DJ has started for 3 years under Cut. I think the thought of playing Alabama is enticing, as is trying to win Duke a division title. However, as others have said, his draft stock in a weak-QB draft is about as high as it could go, and it is probably the right decision for him (plus, the fact that he is losing a lot of senior receivers could also play into his decision).

Of course, would love for him to stay. Would love to see him and a healthy Duke squad take on Alabama. I just wouldn't count on it. If he does go, I thank DJ for his great 3 years and everything he gave to Duke.
He's been extremely tough, taking on (sometimes too many) big hits, playing hurt, and coming back from injury quickly. Thanks again wishing him nothing but the best at the next level should he choose to go.

On a side note, should DJ decide to go pro, is it a given that Harris will be the starter next year? I ask, because three years ago, when Sirk went down, many assumed Boehme, the redshirt senior with experience would have become the starter, but Cut went with the young Jones instead. Not sure if the Jim Sumners, Steve Wisemans or others know if there is talk of Homberg or Katrenick being in the discussion. Of course, that may be more of a discussion during the spring practices should Jones move on.

Acymetric
12-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Well said. Additionally, he's not only been here four years with a degree, he's been a 3-year starter. Some guys facing this decision (see Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State) have one year of experience as a starter, and the debate is whether he could use another year. DJ has started for 3 years under Cut. I think the thought of playing Alabama is enticing, as is trying to win Duke a division title. However, as others have said, his draft stock in a weak-QB draft is about as high as it could go, and it is probably the right decision for him (plus, the fact that he is losing a lot of senior receivers could also play into his decision).

Of course, would love for him to stay. Would love to see him and a healthy Duke squad take on Alabama. I just wouldn't count on it. If he does go, I thank DJ for his great 3 years and everything he gave to Duke.
He's been extremely tough, taking on (sometimes too many) big hits, playing hurt, and coming back from injury quickly. Thanks again wishing him nothing but the best at the next level should he choose to go.

On a side note, should DJ decide to go pro, is it a given that Harris will be the starter next year? I ask, because three years ago, when Sirk went down, many assumed Boehme, the redshirt senior with experience would have become the starter, but Cut went with the young Jones instead. Not sure if the Jim Sumners, Steve Wisemans or others know if there is talk of Homberg or Katrenick being in the discussion. Of course, that may be more of a discussion during the spring practices should Jones move on.

I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but my gut feeling is that it is Harris or Holmberg next year. Katrenick just reminds me a little of Sean Schroeder for some reason. Solid guy to have on your team for practice and depth, but not a go-to starter. Of course, he's only a RS-freshman so really too early to say for sure what his ceiling is.

duke79
12-28-2018, 12:11 PM

Totally agree with you here (especially the bolded part)! He deserves our admiration, thanks and support for all that he has given to Duke football and Duke University. It would nice to have him stay for a final season but completely understandable if he decides to go pro.

House G
12-28-2018, 12:26 PM

Perhaps we can pick up one of these guys:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/texas-football-could-reportedly-lose-multiple-4-star-qbs-to-transfer/amp

OldPhiKap
12-28-2018, 12:32 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/texas-football-could-reportedly-lose-multiple-4-star-qbs-to-transfer/amp

Georgia transfer Justin Fields is still undecided AFAIK

Having said that, I doubt a big transfer is in the offing for several reasons.

House G
12-28-2018, 12:34 PM

I can’t get the link to work but apparently Texas has 2 four star QBs that have entered the transfer portal.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-28-2018, 01:30 PM

sup matt.....thats a helluva interesting question.....not sure which way I lean

jimsumner
12-28-2018, 03:55 PM
On that topic, and on the situation that I think DJ is 90% likely to go (i'm not at 100% yet)- I'd really have liked to have seen Gunnar and Katrenick throw a couple. I wonder if a few of the more well connected folks around here know how the staff and players feel about QH, Gunnar, Katrenick, relative to each other.

And at the tail end of Cut's presser, he was asked "what had Daniel Jones meant to the program" and Cut said "Well I can tell you coming back what he means to this program..." and was kind of laughing. Hard from context to fully understand that...

Holmberg has the highest ceiling. He's the only one of the three that I could see in the NFL at some point.

But he's also the least experienced. Unless Duke adds someone in the off-season, I would very much expect Harris to go into the fall as number one. His performance at Baylor gives me cautious optimism.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Holmberg has the highest ceiling. He's the only one of the three that I could see in the NFL at some point.

But he's also the least experienced. Unless Duke adds someone in the off-season, I would very much expect Harris to go into the fall as number one. His performance at Baylor gives me cautious optimism.

Agree with this, and think we'll be fine.

Harris not only performed well at Baylor, when he was in games it was clear that he was The Leader of the offense and that everyone listened to him, His press conferences and interviews are extremely impressive, and his is a positive, confident young man.

I doubt anyone is promised anything, and the job will be won by someone in the Spring. But I think it's gonna be hard to knock QH out of the lead role.

cato
12-28-2018, 04:04 PM

I note that you did not qualify this with “if Daniel enters the draft.”

HereBeforeCoachK
12-28-2018, 04:05 PM

Thanks, and that's about what I figured. As for QH, he's very quick over short distances and he throws a very nice long ball. He seems to be very erratic on other throws, and then there's the decision making dynamic, which I'm not sure we know yet. I do think there's enough there to start building around.

On Holmberg V Katrenick, they were both 3 stars but Holmberg's numerical rating was a smidge higher, at least on 24/7 - and there have been some comments on DBR that indicate he's viewed as more the future - which you just verified.

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2018, 04:46 PM

Just curious. If someone had asked you about the upcoming 2016 season, would you have ever projected Jones as even sniffing the NFL? It's one of the things I enjoy about college football, players coming out of left field and surprising for the better, or not meeting expectations. (Looking at you, Mr. Bracey.)
We don't get that nearly as often in basketball.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Just curious. If someone had asked you about the upcoming 2016 season, would you have ever projected Jones as even sniffing the NFL? It's one of the things I enjoy about college football, players coming out of left field and surprising for the better, or not meeting expectations. (Looking at you, Mr. Bracey.)

To answer your question, I don't think many had Jones in the NFL before 2016, but he had created quite a buzz around the team by then. So maybe some of them saw it coming.

And there are surprises in basketball, but not with the top teams. For example, some of those dunking bad arse studs from Florida Gulf Coast a few years ago were almost not recruited by anyone.....few years later they are making a highlight reel at Georgetown's expense....and several of them are now pros - albeit it overseas. They guy who had the consummate highlight reel dunk in that game...among all the dunk highlights....wasn't recruited because he couldn't jump off two feet. He could flat sky off one on the run and his one handed alley oop is up there with any. But there is so much AAU and other competition between kids from other states - something that doesn't happen in football - so that there are far fewer surprises in hoops to be sure.

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2018, 05:44 PM
To answer your question, I don't think many had Jones in the NFL before 2016, but he had created quite a buzz around the team by then. So maybe some of them saw it coming.
Really? Not saying you're wrong, but he hadn't played a snap then, and we were celebrating Sirk being the MVP of the Pinstripe bowl, leading us to our first bowl win in forever.

JasonEvans
12-28-2018, 05:46 PM

I think Jack White (ranked #246 (https://247sports.com/Player/Jack-White-88916/)) would disagree. So would Luke Maye (#155), Rui Hachimura (#146), Ky Bowman (#324), Carsen Edwards (#118), Ethan Happ (#152)... they are all strong All-American and POY contenders this season in college ball.

-Jason "I could have named several very highly regarded prospects who did not pan out... at Duke and elsewhere... but I'd rather this be about the surprises, not the disappointments" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2018, 05:51 PM
I think Jack White (ranked #246 (https://247sports.com/Player/Jack-White-88916/)) would disagree. So would Luke Maye (#155), Rui Hachimura (#146), Ky Bowman (#324), Carsen Edwards (#118), Ethan Happ (#152)... they are all strong All-American and POY contenders this season in college ball.

Want to put up the very small number of college players that succeed/and or fail in basketball against the large number of football players?

It's one of the things I enjoy about college football, players coming out of left field and surprising for the better, or not meeting expectations.
I'm saying both sides. The pool size is so different.

jimsumner
12-28-2018, 05:51 PM
I note that you did not qualify this with “if Daniel enters the draft.”

Go back and re-read the question to which I was responding. It specifically referenced Harris, Katrenick and Holmberg.

cato
12-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Go back and re-read the question to which I was responding. It specifically referenced Harris, Katrenick and Holmberg.

Got it. Thanks

HereBeforeCoachK
12-28-2018, 06:09 PM
Really? Not saying you're wrong, but he hadn't played a snap then, and we were celebrating Sirk being the MVP of the Pinstripe bowl, leading us to our first bowl win in forever.

I am talking about the buzz around him after Sirk's injury and his being named starter. There were comments coming out that he had a kind of inner confidence, a swag, to him. He apparently lit up the first team D with the scout team at times. i'm not making this up. I had never heard of him until then. They had given him some kind of pet name..."The Future" or something....I can't remember...but there was buzz around him, especially for a 2* recruit.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-28-2018, 06:43 PM
I am talking about the buzz around him after Sirk's injury and his being named starter. There were comments coming out that he had a kind of inner confidence, a swag, to him. He apparently lit up the first team D with the scout team at times. i'm not making this up. I had never heard of him until then. They had given him some kind of pet name..."The Future" or something...I can't remember...but there was buzz around him, especially for a 2* recruit.

Derek Jones, DB coach, gave him the nickname "The Future."

MChambers
12-28-2018, 07:47 PM
I’m not a football fan, but it is very cool to have a draft vigil for a Duke QB.

BD80
12-28-2018, 08:36 PM
I’m not a football fan, but it is very cool to have a draft vigil for a Duke QB.

Hopefully, it will get tiresome after multiple iterations ...

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2018, 08:58 PM
I am talking about the buzz around him after Sirk's injury and his being named starter. There were comments coming out that he had a kind of inner confidence, a swag, to him. He apparently lit up the first team D with the scout team at times. i'm not making this up. I had never heard of him until then. They had given him some kind of pet name..."The Future" or something...I can't remember...but there was buzz around him, especially for a 2* recruit.

Very cool, thanks for the history lesson.
That's a hell of a nickname to live up to, I'd say he did fairly well with that. :cool:

gep
12-28-2018, 11:13 PM
From The Chronicle article linked from the home page...

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/12/duke-football-daniel-jones-2019-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-gladstone-column

"Whatever he decides, I’ll be happy for him because it’s his decision. He doesn’t know right now. I don’t know right now. God bless him, because it’s a tough thing, but he’ll find the right spot."

I would think that Coach Cut *is* talking to DJ... and maybe even the NFL... on DJ's future. I got the feeling that Coach K does talk to his players and the NBA too...

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-28-2018, 11:42 PM
From The Chronicle article linked from the home page...

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/12/duke-football-daniel-jones-2019-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-gladstone-column

"Whatever he decides, I’ll be happy for him because it’s his decision. He doesn’t know right now. I don’t know right now. God bless him, because it’s a tough thing, but he’ll find the right spot."

I would think that Coach Cut *is* talking to DJ... and maybe even the NFL... on DJ's future. I got the feeling that Coach K does talk to his players and the NBA too...

Coach Cutcliffe does talk with players prior to the NFL draft. In addition, there is a session for parents to learn about the process, selecting an agent, and related topics. Parents of former players also help parents of current players navigate the process of assistance at Duke for approaching the NFL draft.

gep
12-28-2018, 11:51 PM
Coach Cutcliffe does talk with players prior to the NFL draft. In addition, there is a session for parents to learn about the process, selecting an agent, and related topics. Parents of former players also help parents of current players navigate the process of assistance at Duke for approaching the NFL draft.

This is great!!!! Especially for parents of former players to be involved. Thanks for the info... and GO DUKE :cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-28-2018, 11:56 PM
This is great!!!! Especially for parents of former players to be involved. Thanks for the info... and GO DUKE :cool:

The role of parents of former players is based on word of mouth.

loran16
12-29-2018, 12:00 AM

I'd imagine Harris has pole position for the number one spot, but that the other two guys will have opportunities to prove themselves in the spring practices/game and fall pre-season practices. Harris' two starts this year are a clear sign that he has Cut's confidence, especially with Holmberg not getting a snap until the bowl game despite the new 4 game redshirt rules.

I'm less worried about the QB situation next year than the offensive line that QB will have to play behind, but that's for another thread. DJ really made the most out of how little protection he got this year, and next year's QB will have a harder time if the OLine doesn't improve at showing his stuff, no matter who he is.

Reilly
12-29-2018, 01:15 AM
The dead skins need a qb badly. After the possible career end break of thier QBs leg.maybe he can throw to Jamison crowder. May they never beat the cowboys again though.

Doug Williams was at the Independence Bowl. Spent a good while talking with Cut pre-game.

duke74
12-29-2018, 09:10 AM

Looks like the “Brotherhood” is extending beyond the hardwood to the turf. Similar with other sports? Would be a great example of our Duke athletic and community culture.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Very cool, thanks for the history lesson.
That's a hell of a nickname to live up to, I'd say he did fairly well with that. :cool:

Yeah he did live up to that name....and another poster did confirm that the moniker was indeed "The Future." Another indication that this is where the program was headed was Sirk leaving after spring practice the next year. I did not like that at the time, and it clearly indicated to me that Cut told Sirk he was not likely to get much time.

But when DJ got badly hurt, but was still trying to play, it hurt the team. I think Sirk could've come in and won a couple more games than a struggling and hurt DJ....(and then we'd have DJ another year most likely). But all speculation of course.

The fact is, Sirk had a forgettable experience at ECU and DJ's six game slide that season is also forgettable. Sirk's last game in Duke uniform was very memorable.....for several reasons.

CameronBornAndBred
12-29-2018, 09:23 AM
A Yahoo Sports snippet from a "Winners/Losers" article focusing on bowl games thus far.

In the winners column...

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke: With Justin Herbert opting to stay at Oregon, Duke’s Daniel Jones is one of the quarterbacks in the mix among the top NFL prospects. Jones, who is expected to declare for the 2019 draft, had a strong showing in the Independence Bowl against Temple. Though he did throw two interceptions, the 6-foot-5 Jones completed 30-of-41 passes for 423 yards and five touchdowns in a 56-27 win. According to Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel, some NFL scouts believe Jones could be up there with Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins near the top of the first round.

David Cutcliffe: Cutcliffe is worthy of praise for a lot of reasons. He’s known for his tutelage of quarterbacks, and Jones is the next pupil in line to make a splash at the next level. But beyond that, Cutcliffe has done a tremendous job getting Duke to be consistently competitive in the ACC. With the win over Temple, the Blue Devils (8-5) finish with eight or more wins for the fourth time in Cutcliffe’s tenure. Before Cutcliffe arrived in 2008, Duke had just four eight-win seasons dating back to 1960.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/winners-and-losers-of-college-football-bowl-season-auburn-ends-disappointing-season-on-a-high-note/ar-BBRxKyy

jimsumner
12-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Doug Williams was at the Independence Bowl. Spent a good while talking with Cut pre-game.

Doug Williams? Is he a grad-student option?

Then again, the Redskins might have dibs on Williams. He might be a better option than anything they have now.

dukelifer
12-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Derek Jones, DB coach, gave him the nickname "The Future."

And "The Future" has become "The Past"

WakeDevil
12-29-2018, 10:16 PM

We may have to deport you.

BD80
12-29-2018, 11:41 PM
We may have to deport you.

Or re-sport

HereBeforeCoachK
12-30-2018, 04:16 PM
It appears both the Jax Jags and the Miami Dolphins are about to give up on Bortles and Tannehill after today's games.....maybe Jones heading south.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2018, 05:29 PM
It appears both the Jax Jags and the Miami Dolphins are about to give up on Bortles and Tannehill after today's games....maybe Jones heading south.

Or the Bucs?

HereBeforeCoachK
12-30-2018, 05:43 PM
Or the Bucs?

You know, I almost mentioned the Bucs....I mean they crossed my mind - but I think they're staying with Jamies for a while...and Jameis had a better game today than the other two by far.

coldriver10
12-30-2018, 06:31 PM
You know, I almost mentioned the Bucs...I mean they crossed my mind - but I think they're staying with Jamies for a while...and Jameis had a better game today than the other two by far.
I am, unfortunately, a big-time Bucs fan. Keeping Jameis around for the option year on his contract and drafting a promising QB like Jones are definitely not mutually exclusive. I don't see any of the QBs in this draft as necessarily the blue chip prospects one expects to just come in and successfully start from day 1, and I would absolutely support having Jameis or another veteran around for next year and drafting a QB that can sit and learn on the sideline for a year. The Bucs will likely be picking 5th, so I could see them going developmental QB in the 2nd. I just don't see Jameis being the QB of the future anymore. He's lost a good portion of the fan base for his off-field antics and on-field performance. I guess it will depend on the next coach and how he plays next year, but I think he is who he has always been...erratic, at times brilliant but usually just maddeningly frustrating.

DU82
12-30-2018, 06:59 PM
It appears both the Jax Jags and the Miami Dolphins are about to give up on Bortles and Tannehill after today's games....maybe Jones heading south.

Perhaps he goes to his hometown team, which appears to need a healthy QB.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Perhaps he goes to his hometown team, which appears to need a healthy QB.
If they don’t get an offensive line in front of him, he’d get hurt too.

jimsumner
12-30-2018, 08:20 PM
If they don’t get an offensive line in front of him, he’d get hurt too.

I think a tank would get sacked with the Panthers OL blocking for it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2018, 08:22 PM
The top 18 draft slots are now set.

1. Cardinals
2. 49ers
3. Jets
4. Raiders
5. Buccaneers
6. Giants
7. Jaguars
8. Lions
9. Bills
10. Broncos
11. Bengals
12. Packers
13. Dolphins
14. Falcons
15. Redskins
16. Panthers
17. Browns
18. Vikings

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25117609/2019-nfl-draft-order-projected-first-round-picks-1-32-date-tracker-results

uh_no
12-30-2018, 11:28 PM
The top 18 draft slots are now set.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25117609/2019-nfl-draft-order-projected-first-round-picks-1-32-date-tracker-results

FWIW, CBS had him at 41 whenever they last made their rankings. With the large number of teams looking and the few in the draft, I think we'll see him far higher than that.

Devilwin
12-31-2018, 07:04 AM
I think he's NFL bound without a doubt. The time is right for him, and the kid has the skills. Size, a strong arm, and usually makes excellent decisions. Oh, and he can run the ball too. I wish him well, and thank him for playing here.
All that being said, I am sick of seeing university sports being reduced into little more than proving grounds for pro sports..

75Crazie
12-31-2018, 09:36 AM
All that being said, I am sick of seeing university sports being reduced into little more than proving grounds for pro sports..
What other proving ground is there, especially for football? At least the G league is one small step in the right general direction for basketball. But for football, there is nothing … and there is a symbiotic relationship between the P5 conferences and the NFL that is next to impossible to break.

At least Jones didn't quite have the pro cred before the bowl game to make it desirable for him to sit the game out, like Grier did. I expect that kind of thing to happen a lot more frequently in the coming years.

dukelifer
12-31-2018, 10:08 AM
I think he's NFL bound without a doubt. The time is right for him, and the kid has the skills. Size, a strong arm, and usually makes excellent decisions. Oh, and he can run the ball too. I wish him well, and thank him for playing here.

Most of college sports is not. The vast majority of football players will never play after college. Only a lucky few will make the jump. Even then- it is a short run for many of them. A long pro basketball career is not a guarantee regardless of how many high school honors a player received. Most players play for the love of the game with a glimmer of hope that they can make it to the next level.

Mike Corey
12-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Perfectly stated.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Most of college sports is not. The vast majority of football players will never play after college. Only a lucky few will make the jump. Even then- it is a short run for many of them. A long pro basketball career is not a guarantee regardless of how many high school honors a player received. Most players play for the love of the game with a glimmer of hope that they can make it to the next level.

I think he was referring to the way the national sports media (ie, ESPN) are obsessed with "the next level" and only the future pros during college games......that's where the rub is. The points you make are of course true, and yet all ESPN can talk about is pro draft status.

BDevilU
12-31-2018, 03:11 PM
He's gone.

chrishoke
12-31-2018, 03:18 PM
Duke has announced he is gone.

jimsumner
12-31-2018, 03:22 PM
JGH to NFL.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211785298&DB_OEM_ID=4200

jimsumner
12-31-2018, 03:24 PM
Jones to NFL

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211785297

Acymetric
12-31-2018, 03:24 PM
So, no longer a vigil. Best of luck to him. Hoping he goes to a team that I like. Wonder if he will go to a team where he will sit behind a guy for a year or two (like Mahomes or Rodgers) or if he will be drafted to be the guy like a bunch of the QBs this year were.

chrishoke
12-31-2018, 03:32 PM
STATEMENT FROM JOE GILES-HARRIS
The last four years of my life have been some of the best. It has been a blessing and privilege to wear Duke blue and represent this great university.
After much thought, I have decided to forgo my last year of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft to pursue my lifelong dream of playing professional football.
Thank you to Duke University, Dr. White, Coach Cutcliffe, the entire Duke football staff and Blue Devil fans for providing me with an unforgettable experience.
I’d also like to thank my family for their continuous love and support throughout this journey. If it were not for them, I would not be the man I am. Finally, I give all glory to God because without Him, none of this would be possible!

Acymetric
12-31-2018, 03:40 PM
Jones to Panthers at #16? That would be fun (for those of us who are Panthers fans).

budwom
12-31-2018, 03:41 PM
Jones to Panthers at #16? That would be fun (for those of us who are Panthers fans).

Does that mean he'd have to wear those hideous clown colors? Is an exmption for the QB possible? More like rodeo outfits than football unis...;)

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 03:56 PM
Best of luck to both, and thanks for all you did here!

Bob Green
12-31-2018, 03:59 PM
Thank you very much Daniel Jones and Joe Giles-Harris! I thoroughly enjoyed watching you play. Here is wishing you both the best of luck in the NFL.

1991 duke law
12-31-2018, 04:00 PM
I hope for the best for Daniel. I do not get to see all of the Duke football games, but from what I have seen I am unsure as to his prospects for being a successful NFL quarterback. That being said, I am the first to acknowledge that I am the last person anyone should rely on for assessing NFL talent. I hope the young man crushes it and has a long and successful career. And I agree, with his degree in hand and with the prospect of being drafted in the first round, why would he come back.

FerryFor50
12-31-2018, 04:08 PM
Makes me sad to see them leave early, but football is rough and an injury can end a career at any moment. Jones and Harris both had injury issues. Definitely the right move financially.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 04:20 PM
I hope for the best for Daniel. I do not get to see all of the Duke football games, but from what I have seen I am unsure as to his prospects for being a successful NFL quarterback. That being said, I am the first to acknowledge that I am the last person anyone should rely on for assessing NFL talent. I hope the young man crushes it and has a long and successful career. And I agree, with his degree in hand and with the prospect of being drafted in the first round, why would he come back.

Agree with this. Worst case scenario, he kicks around the NFL for 3-4 years making good money, then takes his econ degree and NFL notoriety to Wall Street and his life is made. It's a no brainer for him. I wish him well, and if he can go first round, he will still be helping Duke FB even after he is gone. And if he's a success in the NFL, then that's even better. But by going this year, takes the risk out of worst case. Good for him.

That said, I don't see him going ahead of Haskins, Lock or Grier. One mock draft (FWIW, which may not be much) had only Lock in the first round, and Haskins if Haskins comes out.

burnspbesq
12-31-2018, 04:49 PM
STATEMENT FROM JOE GILES-HARRIS
The last four years of my life have been some of the best. It has been a blessing and privilege to wear Duke blue and represent this great university.
After much thought, I have decided to forgo my last year of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft to pursue my lifelong dream of playing professional football.
Thank you to Duke University, Dr. White, Coach Cutcliffe, the entire Duke football staff and Blue Devil fans for providing me with an unforgettable experience.
I’d also like to thank my family for their continuous love and support throughout this journey. If it were not for them, I would not be the man I am. Finally, I give all glory to God because without Him, none of this would be possible!

I’m willing to bet that Joe got a very cordial text from Coach Danowski, that mentioned how unique and special it would be to play for a national championship alongside his brother.

richmclean
12-31-2018, 04:49 PM
Colleges are proving grounds for all kids there with special talents who might or might not go pro in their field. Sports is an extracurricular while many like Computer Scientists credit their time just to a degree after which they definitely go pro. (Like me!) To play some sports at a high level equates to almost a full time job after school. All evidence points to Duke players going to class and passing with many academic all Americans. Hardly achievements to scoff at.

Acymetric
12-31-2018, 04:55 PM
I’m willing to bet that Joe got a very cordial text from Coach Danowski, that mentioned how unique and special it would be to play for a national championship alongside his brother.

I'm confused.

arnie
12-31-2018, 04:58 PM
I'm confused.

Play lacrosse while preparing for NFL draft. I doubt it.

burnspbesq
12-31-2018, 04:59 PM
I'm confused.

Joe was first-team all-State as a close defenseman. He was as heavily recruited for lacrosse as he was for football. Duke graduated a starting defenseman and a starting LSM.

NYBri
12-31-2018, 05:09 PM
Duke QB Daniel Jones, potential first-round pick, declares for NFL draft

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25656615/duke-qb-daniel-jones-potential-first-round-pick-declares-nfl-draft

:cool:

uh_no
12-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Duke QB Daniel Jones, potential first-round pick, declares for NFL draft

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25656615/duke-qb-daniel-jones-potential-first-round-pick-declares-nfl-draft

:cool:

yeah...seems like a decent bet for first round.

jimsumner
12-31-2018, 05:36 PM

That would be a unique way to rehab a knee injury.

JasonEvans
01-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Anyone have a sense of JGH's draft stock?

jimsumner
01-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Anyone have a sense of JGH's draft stock?

Assuming the knee injury heals in time for workouts, I'm told fourth or fifth round seems likely.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-04-2019, 05:59 PM
This article has some impressions of Jones, and also mentions TJ Rahming as a draft prospect based on his bowl performance. Was he previously on anyone's radar?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/04/bowl-season-draft-prospect-stocks

arnie
01-04-2019, 06:54 PM
This article has some impressions of Jones, and also mentions TJ Rahming as a draft prospect based on his bowl performance. Was he previously on anyone's radar?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/04/bowl-season-draft-prospect-stocks

The article also says Rahming can return punts and similar to Jamison Crowder. I beg to differ.

jv001
01-04-2019, 06:57 PM
The article also says Rahming can return punts and similar to Jamison Crowder. I beg to differ.

Not even close. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
01-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Not even close. GoDuke!

If TJ were close to Jamison, Duke would've probably won 5 more games over the last two seasons.....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-05-2019, 08:10 AM

I can think of at least a few instances that would suggest otherwise rather strongly.

Bob Green
01-05-2019, 09:06 AM

The comment suggests the author has not actually watched Duke football. Rahming is not similar to Jamison Crowder as a receiver or a punt returner. Crowder was a deep threat receiver and an explosive punt returner while Rahming is a shifty, possession receiver and a mistake waiting to happen as a punt returner. I will say Rahming was much better his senior year than as a junior when he consistently let the ball land, bounce and roll giving up lots of field position.

I wish Rahming the best of luck in his quest to play in the NFL but if he makes it, it will be as a slot receiver not a punt returner.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-05-2019, 09:13 AM
The comment suggests the author has not actually watched Duke football. Rahming is not similar to Jamison Crowder as a receiver or a punt returner. Crowder was a deep threat receiver and an explosive punt returner while Rahming is a shifty, possession receiver and a mistake waiting to happen as a punt returner. I will say Rahming was much better his senior year than as a junior when he consistently let the ball land, bounce and roll giving up lots of field position.

I wish Rahming the best of luck in his quest to play in the NFL but if he makes it, it will be as a slot receiver not a punt returner.

I totally concur with this analysis...and I would add that his NFL odds are very steep against TJ. Consider that Jamison's speed is only considered slot speed, not deep threat speed, in the NFL, and he is faster than TJ.

Jamison's long TDs have been punt returns and short passes he took to the house from the slot. (although I still love watching the Boone to Crowder TD bomb versus A&M - that DB clearly underestimated Jamison's speed on that play.) I think TJ's skill set would work better in Canada with their field set up, three down system.

jv001
01-05-2019, 09:26 AM
I totally concur with this analysis...and I would add that his NFL odds are very steep against TJ. Consider that Jamison's speed is only considered slot speed, not deep threat speed, in the NFL, and he is faster than TJ.

Jamison's long TDs have been punt returns and short passes he took to the house from the slot. (although I still love watching the Boone to Crowder TD bomb versus A&M - that DB clearly underestimated Jamison's speed on that play.) I think TJ's skill set would work better in Canada with their field set up, three down system.

Jamison made some catches that I thought he might have been broken in half but he got up went back to the huddle like he was saying"next play". I saw TJ make some catches and run straight to the side line. Now I will say that TJ greatly improved(in my eyes) this season. Especially on punt returns but he's not in Jamison's company. Nor was he in Conner Vernon company. I'll say good luck young man and I hope you find a team that will give you a chance in the NFL. GoDuke!

budwom
01-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Rosters list Crowder as weighing 174 and Rahming as 170, but my eyeballs tell me Rahming weighs considerably less than that (FWIW).

jimsumner
01-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Rahming is listed at 5-10 but is probably closer to 5-7.

It's not really fair to compare him to Crowder, one of the two--along with Clarkston Hines--best wide receivers in Duke history. Rahming was a pretty darned good college receiver. But I'd be surprised if he can find an NFL landing spot. Pleased. But surprised.

I actually think Johnathan Lloyd might have a better shot. Bigger, better with contact, better blocker.

But it's uphill for either, IMO.

CameronBornAndBred
01-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Jones has accepted a late invitation to the Senior Bowl, so we get another chance to see him in action.

Bob Green
01-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Jones has accepted a late invitation to the Senior Bowl, so we get another chance to see him in action.

Here is the announcement at GoDuke:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211785647

Duke quarterback Daniel Jones has accepted an invitation to participate in the Reese’s Senior Bowl set for January 26 in Mobile, Ala.

The game will be broadcast on the NFL Network.

Acymetric
01-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Is that slightly surprising? Doesn't seem like he would have much to gain coming off a strong performance in the bowl game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Is that slightly surprising? Doesn't seem like he would have much to gain coming off a strong performance in the bowl game.

If you mean Daniel, we can hope he's raises his stock even higher during the Senior Bowl. Laken Thomlinson certainly did! ;)

sagegrouse
01-05-2019, 04:52 PM

Plus, he puts a few dollars in his pocket.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-05-2019, 05:18 PM
If you mean Daniel, we can hope he's raises his stock even higher during the Senior Bowl. Laken Thomlinson certainly did! ;)

Indeed, but it doesn't always work out that way. There was no buzz around Thomlinson like there is around Jones. He is joining a list of QBs who pretty much all have superior stats.....(they have better receivers for one thing)......Jones is considered above them in draft stock it would seem mainly due to height and arm strength. One the one hand, it seems like a bit of a risk to play. On the other, I'm sure he had good people around him (Cut, Peyton) advising him. Wish him the best.....

jimsumner
01-05-2019, 05:42 PM
The key to raising one's stock via an all-star game appearance is to play well in the practices. That's where the scouts do most of their evaluating. The actual game is almost irrelevant.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-05-2019, 06:00 PM
The key to raising one's stock via an all-star game appearance is to play well in the practices. That's where the scouts do most of their evaluating. The actual game is almost irrelevant.

That's an interesting point, and with four QBs per team, no one is gonna get a lot of game snaps...so that makes perfect sense.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Indeed, but it doesn't always work out that way. There was no buzz around Thomlinson like there is around Jones. He is joining a list of QBs who pretty much all have superior stats...(they have better receivers for one thing)...Jones is considered above them in draft stock it would seem mainly due to height and arm strength. One the one hand, it seems like a bit of a risk to play. On the other, I'm sure he had good people around him (Cut, Peyton) advising him. Wish him the best...

I'm quite aware that the results vary for each player. As Jim Sumner points out, it's the practices which give the NFL scouts a look. We all know how much the projections and discussions change from the end of the season until the draft actually begins.

My recall is that there was some talk about Laken aside from his appearance in the Senior Bowl. We were at dinner one evening after the bowl game and everyone who worked in the restaurant came over to greet him. They recognized him from his appearances on ESPN.

To quote Olivia Manning, "Yes, I have seen one or two football games."

duke74
01-05-2019, 07:21 PM
NY Post mock draft (FWIW). DJ 10th to Broncos. Second QB off the board.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/05/nfl-mock-draft-1-0-giants-trade-up-for-qb-jets-get-defensive-stud/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

HereBeforeCoachK
01-05-2019, 10:30 PM
NY Post mock draft (FWIW). DJ 10th to Broncos. Second QB off the board.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/05/nfl-mock-draft-1-0-giants-trade-up-for-qb-jets-get-defensive-stud/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

...but kinda snarky comment about Jones.....

devildeac
01-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Steve Wiseman once again provides a thorough summary of what we lose and return for the 2019 FB campaign:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article223981165.html

arnie
01-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Steve Wiseman once again provides a thorough summary of what we lose and return for the 2019 FB campaign:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article223981165.html

Great summary. Except for uncertainty at QB, I’m optimistic next years team will be solid and improved at several positions. 8 wins again?

Acymetric
01-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Great summary. Except for uncertainty at QB, I’m optimistic next years team will be solid and improved at several positions. 8 wins again?

Hard to say...8 wins will be tough. Over-under would probably be 5-6. Only 4 wins isn't out of the question. 10 wins is probably the absolute ceiling. Given the tough schedule and QB situation, 7-6 (win in the bowl game) would be a solid season.

Alabama (neutral field) - L
NC A&T - W
Middle Tennessee - W
Notre Dame - L
Georgia Tech - Toss-up
Miami - Toss-up
Pitt - Toss-up
Syracuse - Toss-up (skews towards L)
unc - Toss-up
UVA - Toss-up
VT - Toss-up
Wake - Toss-up

I see 2 should wins (if we lose to Middle Tennessee or A&T we are in for a bad ride), and 2 highly likely losses ('Bama and Notre Dame). The other 8 could go either way, and with so much coaching turnover it is hard to project how things will go. Syracuse was good this year, Pitt always seems to have our number, Wake demolished us somehow, UVA and VT are in solid shape. Miami has a new coach and some talent, GT and unc under new coaches are total question marks.

budwom
01-09-2019, 04:39 PM
Hard to say...8 wins will be tough. Over-under would probably be 5-6. Only 4 wins isn't out of the question. 10 wins is probably the absolute ceiling. Given the tough schedule and QB situation, 7-6 (win in the bowl game) would be a solid season.

Alabama (neutral field) - L
NC A&T - W
Middle Tennessee - W
Notre Dame - L
Georgia Tech - Toss-up
Miami - Toss-up
Pitt - Toss-up
Syracuse - Toss-up (skews towards L)
unc - Toss-up
UVA - Toss-up
VT - Toss-up
Wake - Toss-up

I see 2 should wins (if we lose to Middle Tennessee or A&T we are in for a bad ride), and 2 highly likely losses ('Bama and Notre Dame). The other 8 could go either way, and with so much coaching turnover it is hard to project how things will go. Syracuse was good this year, Pitt always seems to have our number, Wake demolished us somehow, UVA and VT are in solid shape. Miami has a new coach and some talent, GT and unc under new coaches are total question marks.

Wow. I'm as dedicated a Duke football fan as there is, but there is no way on this earth that we can look at VT and VA games as tossups (nor Syracuse). The Virginia schools both manhandled us this year, plain and simple.
We're looking to be 2-2 OOC, and I just don't see how, with a new QB, we exceed the three ACC wins we got this year. I sure hope for more, but I'm pretty confident we'll have an over/under on wins next year of 4.5 or so...

Acymetric
01-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Wow. I'm as dedicated a Duke football fan as there is, but there is no way on this earth that we can look at VT and VA games as tossups (nor Syracuse). The Virginia schools both manhandled us this year, plain and simple.
We're looking to be 2-2 OOC, and I just don't see how, with a new QB, we exceed the three ACC wins we got this year. I sure hope for more, but I'm pretty confident we'll have an over/under on wins next year of 4.5 or so...

I probably shouldn't have used the word toss-up. I don't mean they are 50/50 games, just that they are games that could plausibly be won by either team. VT, UVA, and Syracuse would be favored, but I'm not sure they would be heavily favored, such that it would be a huge upset if we won. I'm not sure what word to sure what word to use for that, and I didn't want to try to assign percentages to each game. Maybe read my "toss-ups" as no more than a 70/30 one way or the other or something (I didn't think to hard about that cutoff). I wouldn't be surprised to see 4.5 be the actual line, but I think it is just a bit too low with 2 sure wins and 8 other winnable games (including games where we wouldn't be favored but would have a chance). Maybe I should have gone with "winnable" (which is different from should-win or 50/50).

OldPhiKap
01-09-2019, 05:06 PM
Our conference games include four that we lost to this year; three with new coaches so who knows; and Syracuse who we did not play.

I'm an optimistic guy, but going 4-4 in conference is gonna be tough and 5-3 would be exceptional. Nothing against our returning players, but we all knew that both the 2018 and 2019 seasons were going to be bears schedule-wise. With Alabama and Notre Dame taking two of the four non-conference games, we have little margin for error. (What were we this year, 3-5 in conference?)

arnie
01-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Our conference games include four that we lost to this year; three with new coaches so who knows; and Syracuse who we did not play.

I'm an optimistic guy, but going 4-4 in conference is gonna be tough and 5-3 would be exceptional. Nothing against our returning players, but we all knew that both the 2018 and 2019 seasons were going to be bears schedule-wise. With Alabama and Notre Dame taking two of the four non-conference games, we have little margin for error. (What were we this year, 3-5 in conference?)
Optimistic me (this next year anyway) sees min 4 ACC wins - since we always beat Cheats, GaT and WF��. Then throw in one more and we’re at the minimum. Add another 50-50 ACC game (or another miracle against ND) and we should be at 7 regular season wins plus the guaranteed bowl win.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Optimistic me (this next year anyway) sees min 4 ACC wins - since we always beat Cheats, GaT and WF��. Then throw in one more and we’re at the minimum. Add another 50-50 ACC game (or another miracle against ND) and we should be at 7 regular season wins plus the guaranteed bowl win.

HAH, there is no optimistic me vis a vis Duke FB......although Cut keeps me moving in that direction.....and as for Daniel Jones and the draft: I saw a report today that indicates there's not a huge market demand for QBs at the moment (relatively)....because so many talented players have entered in recent years. And of course, very likely that Joe Flacco and Nick Foles are moving to 2 of the teams looking with starting gigs. Then there's the issue of not many QBs coming out this year...so supply is low as well.

Maybe we need a degenerates contest for DJ's draft position......

fuse
01-13-2019, 11:20 AM
DVR cleanup today.
Finally deleting the Duke Notre Dame game.

Pretty amazing to see Daniel Jones among many others playing a brilliant game 3 years ago. Thankful for what this class did for Duke football.

Wander
01-13-2019, 12:40 PM

IMO you are putting too much stock in those individual game results (which, yes, were terrible). Sagarain has for last season:

43 UVA
49 Duke
64 VT

We finished 3-5 in the ACC, they each finished 4-4, but they had worse non-conference results. Putting those two games into the middle category seems fair to me (even if it's not exactly 50/50... I agree we shouldn't be favored in either game as of now).

HereBeforeCoachK
01-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Since Jones entered the NFL draft, Haskins and Murray have jumped in. So with those two, and Drew Lock, is Jones now 4th QB "on the big board?" With Nick Foles and Joe Flacco being available, and the Dolphins say they will not address QB this draft......wonder where this is headed.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Since Jones entered the NFL draft, Haskins and Murray have jumped in. So with those two, and Drew Lock, is Jones now 4th QB "on the big board?" With Nick Foles and Joe Flacco being available, and the Dolphins say they will not address QB this draft...wonder where this is headed.

And that right there is why DJ is better going this year. Regardless of where he lands, it will be higher up than in 2020. The Fins and everyone else know that next year is gonna be stacked. Jones is gettin' while the gettin' is good.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-15-2019, 06:07 PM
And that right there is why DJ is better going this year. Regardless of where he lands, it will be higher up than in 2020. The Fins and everyone else know that next year is gonna be stacked. Jones is gettin' while the gettin' is good.

I think Jones had to go, but I don't think your logic is necessarily 100% on the money. If he's picked 4th QB this year, say early second round...pick 38....there's no guarantee that he would do better than next season, when the 12th QB might go early second round. There are not the same amount of QBs picked per round. If he's late first/early second round talent, then that's what he is, period. (just a guess).

There is also the fact that another year with Cut might raise his stock anyway. Again, given what he knew at the time, I think the decision was a no brainer.....but there are still a lot of variables, some of which will never be answered, as to ultimately what was his best course. That's life.....for all of us.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2019, 06:54 PM
I don't think your logic is necessarily 100% on the money.
You been talking to my girlfriend?

dudog84
01-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Since Jones entered the NFL draft, Haskins and Murray have jumped in. So with those two, and Drew Lock, is Jones now 4th QB "on the big board?" With Nick Foles and Joe Flacco being available, and the Dolphins say they will not address QB this draft...wonder where this is headed.

I don't believe anything any team says before the draft...and little of what they say after. It's all misdirection, and then whoever they get is the guy they always wanted.

Saw this the other day on MSN's front page, don't know who this guy is or his credibility (there are probably dozens of mock drafts on the internet), but he has Jones going 13th...to the Dolphins.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/first-round-nfl-mock-draft/ss-BBS2quW?li=BBnba9I#image=13

HereBeforeCoachK
01-15-2019, 07:06 PM
I don't believe anything any team says before the draft...and little of what they say after. It's all misdirection, and then whoever they get is the guy they always wanted.

Saw this the other day on MSN's front page, don't know who this guy is or his credibility (there are probably dozens of mock drafts on the internet), but he has Jones going 13th...to the Dolphins.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/first-round-nfl-mock-draft/ss-BBS2quW?li=BBnba9I#image=13

Could be the Dolphins are playing a little psy ops game....and will take a QB. To me, 13th is high for DJ, but man, if he can get it, more power to him. I think Giles Harris will ultimately be the better pro.....

nmduke2001
01-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Mel Kiper still has DJ going in the first round. He thinks if he is still around, the Patriots pick him up to replace Brady.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25784677

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Mel Kiper still has DJ going in the first round. He thinks if he is still around, the Patriots pick him up to replace Brady.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25784677

Poor feller...

budwom
01-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Poor feller...

That would be wonderful for Jones, but I couldn't possibly be any more skeptical of this prediction, I guess we'll see. Always willing to eat crow.
(Brady is not exactly known for wanting to nurture would be successors, so best of luck to Daniel should this actually occur).

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2019, 01:50 PM
That would be wonderful for Jones, but I couldn't possibly be any more skeptical of this prediction, I guess we'll see. Always willing to eat crow.
(Brady is not exactly known for wanting to nurture would be successors, so best of luck to Daniel should this actually occur).

I was more thinking of fans' reaction if he isn't stellar. Kinda like the poor bastard that will fill K's shoes one day. Both of those pairs of shoes are so big that Lincoln's statue in DC could wear them.

nmduke2001
01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
I was more thinking of fans' reaction if he isn't stellar. Kinda like the poor bastard that will fill K's shoes one day. Both of those pairs of shoes are so big that Lincoln's statue in DC could wear them.

I don't know. If I remember correctly, a few years ago when Brady and Belichick were having a bit of a falling out, people close to Belichick were saying that Belichick would love to prove that he's the real reason they won. Maybe Belichick works harder <cough>cheats more<cough> and it becomes a perfect time to come to New England.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2018/09/tom_brady_learned_bill_belichi.html

budwom
01-17-2019, 02:55 PM

yup, it's complicated...Brady thinks he can play five more years (what with the avocado rubs and yogurt injections); he made Garppolo's life miserable for daring to be a QB in waiting...no one knows how this will play out, might Belichick leave when Brady does, who knows? Bob Kraft was evidently tongue tied when trying to answer questions about Brady's next contract.

Among other things, Belichick's utter lack of sentimentality has made the Pats what they are...a guy loses a step, he's gone, no matter how many great years he gave the organization...ruthlessly efficient in that regard.
But a big question looms as to how much of a contract they want to give Brady...

HereBeforeCoachK
01-17-2019, 03:07 PM
yup, it's complicated...Brady thinks he can play five more years (what with the avocado rubs and yogurt injections); he made Garppolo's life miserable for daring to be a QB in waiting...no one knows how this will play out, might Belichick leave when Brady does, who knows? Bob Kraft was evidently tongue tied when trying to answer questions about Brady's next contract.

Among other things, Belichick's utter lack of sentimentality has made the Pats what they are...a guy loses a step, he's gone, no matter how many great years he gave the organization...ruthlessly efficient in that regard.
But a big question looms as to how much of a contract they want to give Brady...

On the optimistic side, Jones could come in and learn under Brady and Belichick for a year or two - at which time maybe Brady will figure the gig is up. The big irony is that the Pats have been the best franchise by far when it comes to knowing when to let a guy loose - and how to pick up a bargain that fills a need in their system. The Brady contract will be the end of that, as the Pats will pay a star for past performance for the first time under Belichick. I would be that the coach was ready to move onto Garropolo a year ago.....

budwom
01-17-2019, 03:10 PM
On the optimistic side, Jones could come in and learn under Brady and Belichick for a year or two - at which time maybe Brady will figure the gig is up. The big irony is that the Pats have been the best franchise by far when it comes to knowing when to let a guy loose - and how to pick up a bargain that fills a need in their system. The Brady contract will be the end of that, as the Pats will pay a star for past performance for the first time under Belichick. I would be that the coach was ready to move onto Garropolo a year ago....

That's why I pity Jones if he's given the heir apparent tag while Brady is still trying to prove he can play and draw social security at the same time. He's not apt to be helpful to Jones any more than he helped Garoppolo.

Kind of think it's a moot point anyway, I don't see the Pats taking Jones.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
That's why I pity Jones if he's given the heir apparent tag while Brady is still trying to prove he can play and draw social security at the same time. He's not apt to be helpful to Jones any more than he helped Garoppolo.

Kind of think it's a moot point anyway, I don't see the Pats taking Jones.

I'm not sure he will go there either, and my best case scenario was based on the notion that Brady knows when to hang it up. There is certainly no assumption on my part that will be the case - I just used it as hypothetical.

JasonEvans
01-18-2019, 09:16 AM
I doubt Daniel Jones will be on the board when the Pats are picking. NFL teams tend to overdraft QBs (for good reason, it is the most important position by a lot lot lot). Jones will be gone in the first 20 picks, I think.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-18-2019, 09:36 AM
I doubt Daniel Jones will be on the board when the Pats are picking. NFL teams tend to overdraft QBs (for good reason, it is the most important position by a lot lot lot). Jones will be gone in the first 20 picks, I think.

Are you doubting the great never wrong Mel Kiper?????? ;)

CameronBornAndBred
01-18-2019, 09:55 AM

If he's in the green room, you can raise expectations.

Acymetric
01-18-2019, 10:37 AM
If he's in the green room, you can raise expectations.

Tell that to Aaron Rodgers ;)

jimsumner
01-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Tell that to Aaron Rodgers ;)

Whatever happened to that Rodgers guy?

Acymetric
01-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Whatever happened to that Rodgers guy?

Kind of fell out of the public eye after his embarrassing draft slide...think he's just quietly spending his days coaching Australian Rules Football (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Rogers) now.

JasonEvans
01-21-2019, 08:34 AM
A NY Giants Podcast/WEbsite wanted to talk about what kind of NFL QB Daniel Jones (https://www.bigblueview.com/big-blue-view-radio/2019/1/21/18190538/valentines-views-podcast-daniel-jones-duke-2019-nfl-draft-ny-giants) might be, so they found some fool who watches Duke games to talk about it.

Jones has a 59.9 percent completion percentage over three seasons at Duke. That’s low for a top-tier college quarterback, and a concern for some leading up to the draft. Evans isn’t buying that concern.

“To me that doesn’t reveal the quality of Daniel Jones’s throwing. You know the saying it takes two to tango? In a football passing attack it takes three to be successful. Those three are the QB throwing the ball, wide receivers getting open and catching the ball and the offensive line protecting the quarterback,” Evans said.

“We had a really great QB throwing the ball, we had sort of an OK offensive line, we had below average wide receivers.

“I think that when you see Daniel Jones throwing to professional NFL-quality wide receivers you’re going to see a real step up in that completion percentage. The guy is a very, very accurate passer and that’s hugely important in the NFL.”

You can listen to the entire podcast with me here: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/big-blue-view?refid=stpr

duke74
01-21-2019, 09:22 AM
A NY Giants Podcast/WEbsite wanted to talk about what kind of NFL QB Daniel Jones (https://www.bigblueview.com/big-blue-view-radio/2019/1/21/18190538/valentines-views-podcast-daniel-jones-duke-2019-nfl-draft-ny-giants) might be, so they found some fool who watches Duke games to talk about it.

You can listen to the entire podcast with me here: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox/big-blue-view?refid=stpr

Well done, Jason. Presented a cogent argument for DJ.

Loved the involvement of the host’s dog. Was thinking it was a dog in the background before the admission. Mine (Augie) reacted to the sound (and has been known to play a part in my conference calls over the years, including audit committee meetings).

Also love “Cameron” as the name of your guy. Somehow makes sense. 😉

HereBeforeCoachK
01-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Haven't had time to listen yet, but I did read the article with some of your quotes. I would only quibble a tiny bit (teeny tiny) about David Brown not being a good analogy. It's not a perfect analogy, for the Cutcliffe / Manning related issues you mentioned. But Brown did have most of a year under Spurrier, who knows a thing or two about QB and the NFL, and he had some monster games in that timeframe (before Barry W screwed it all up). He's also about the same size as DJ, although not the runner DJ can be.

Seemed to me- at the time - I thought Clarkston Hines was a far better player than WF's Ricky Proehl - but the NFL proved me wrong on that...which to me makes the combo of Brown under Spurrier even more impressive. Would seem to indicate Hines was the beneficiary of that system and Brown's arm more than a cause. (of course then Spurrier ruins the momentum and starts Billy Ray in the bowl...but that's another story)

Bob Green
01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
We had a really great QB throwing the ball, we had sort of an OK offensive line, we had below average wide receivers.

I look forward to listening to the entire podcast although I think you were a tad tough on our wide receivers. My analysis is they were average not below average. T.J. Rahming did make All ACC (http://theacc.com/news/2018/11/26/2018-all-acc-football-team-announced.aspx). The main issue with the receiving corps is there wasn't a true #1 guy in the group - a receiver who could dictate coverage.

This is a good opportunity to remind folks Daniel Jones will be playing in the Senior Bowl (https://www.seniorbowl.com/) next Saturday at 2:30 pm with coverage on the NFL Network.

Bob Green
01-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Good job, Jason! I've listened to the podcast now and tried to give you some reputation points but, unfortunately...

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on JasonEvans again.

OldPhiKap
01-21-2019, 11:42 AM
Good job, Jason! I've listened to the podcast now and tried to give you some reputation points but, unfortunately...

Same kudos, same “must spread” reply. Way to rep.

JasonEvans
01-21-2019, 02:09 PM
In listening back to myself, it does feel like I was dumping a bit too hard on our WRs. My main point was not that they are bad, but that they are not up to the caliber of the WRs the other top NFL QB prospects played with. Haskins at tOSU, Murray at OK, and Locke at Mizzu all had WRs to throw to who will someday be catching passes on Sunday. I don't think anyone on the Duke roster will reach that level.

Reilly
01-21-2019, 02:51 PM
The NFL draft is in Nashville this late April (Thursday after Easter, I believe). It's becoming sort of a thing/event. Would be cool if Duke fans gathered to cheer on our own.

Bob Green
01-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Senior Bowl practices begin tomorrow and can be viewed on the NFL Network:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211787223

NFL Network will provide live coverage of the practices starting at 1 p.m. ET each day. Andrew Siciliano, Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis and Bucky Brooks will provide insight and analysis during the practices. NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly and reporters Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport will offer reports on the latest NFL news. Additionally, Patrick Claybon leads off the coverage all three days from NFL Network's studios.

jimsumner
01-21-2019, 03:34 PM
I would probably say Jones had average wide receivers and slightly below average pass blocking.

But that's picking nits.

But imagine Jones on that 2013 team, throwing to Crowder and Deaver, with Tomlinson, Simmons, Harding and Cofield protecting him.

JasonEvans
01-21-2019, 05:08 PM
I would probably say Jones had average wide receivers and slightly below average pass blocking.

But that's picking nits.

On the pod I said the OLine was average and the receivers were below average. My nit is your nat ;)

Bob Green
01-22-2019, 03:38 PM
Senior Bowl player measurements were revealed today:

https://www.cover1.net/senior-bowl-weigh-ins-measurements/

Daniel Jones taped out at 6'5" 220 with 9 3/4" hands.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Senior Bowl player measurements were revealed today:

https://www.cover1.net/senior-bowl-weigh-ins-measurements/

Daniel Jones taped out at 6'5" 220 with 9 3/4" hands.

Hand measurement is something teams, especially cold weather teams, look at. There are a couple on the other squad with bigger hands, but no one else on the East.

As for the discussion on the WRs being average or below...I'd say in some areas, they were average, but on, say, 50-50 balls and other tough catches? Way below average IMO. I think Bobo will greatly improve the 50-50 / tough catch production, and I think Garner will bring more speed......so a changing of the guard at this position might be just what the doctor ordered....

MChambers
01-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Washington Post has a mock draft with Jones going to Denver at 10. The good news is that would mean he wouldn't be available for the Washington team.

duke74
01-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Making the Jones-Manning(s) connection (obviously via Cut).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/possible-giants-pick-came-up-in-the-shadow-of-mannings/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=twitter_app

fuse
01-23-2019, 10:55 AM
Making the Jones-Manning(s) connection (obviously via Cut).

https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/possible-giants-pick-came-up-in-the-shadow-of-mannings/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=twitter_app

Good read.

I’m not a Giants fan, and Giants fans may disagree- there is a throwaway line in that article about how bad an NFL QB Dave Brown was.

I don’t recall Dave Brown being a susperstar by any stretch. My (flawed) memory says he was a servicable QB- not top or bottom tier, maybe average/middle third of the league as far as QBs went.

jimsumner
01-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Good read.

I’m not a Giants fan, and Giants fans may disagree- there is a throwaway line in that article about how bad an NFL QB Dave Brown was.

I don’t recall Dave Brown being a susperstar by any stretch. My (flawed) memory says he was a servicable QB- not top or bottom tier, maybe average/middle third of the league as far as QBs went.

Dave Brown had the serious misfortune of following Phil Simms, who was much vilified while playing but became very popular once he retired.

Brown had some serviceable years. But he never overcame an inclination to throw the ball to the other team.

nmduke2001
01-23-2019, 12:45 PM
If you look at the news on the senior bowl, it looks like Daniel Jones is moving into the top ten. Specifically, the analysts that tweet their thoughts. It looks like the Giants and Broncos are interested with Miami and Washington highly interested. Miami and Washington might need to trade up.

Bob Green
01-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Senior Bowl practice report (N.Y. Giants website):

https://www.giants.com/news/senior-bowl-practice-report-1-22

Duke’s Daniel Jones is very solid at the quarterback position. His arm is good enough to make all the throws. He is accurate. He has good fundamentals and displayed some mobility. It looks like he sees the field well and stays calm in the pocket. He fit the ball into some tight spots on Tuesday. You know exactly what you are going to get with Jones.

Bob Green
01-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Daniel Jones displaying his arm talent:

https://twitter.com/CDonScouting/status/1087841781717352448

nmduke2001
01-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Daniel threw two picks during the indoor practice today. Also getting a lot of grief because he is directing all questions to his agent and will no longer be speaking with the media before the senior bowl.

Native
01-23-2019, 07:38 PM
From @NFLDraft on Twitter: (https://mobile.twitter.com/nfldraft/status/1087782785736208384?s=21)

Daniel Jones says he received a first- round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board. #SeniorBowl

Jones also said he met with the #Dolphins on Monday at the #SeniorBowl.

CDu
01-23-2019, 07:46 PM
The rise that Jones has made over three years is really amazing. To think that we have an early-entry candidate at a skill position who will likely go first round is a big step for the program.

Acymetric
01-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Daniel threw two picks during the indoor practice today. Also getting a lot of grief because he is directing all questions to his agent and will no longer be speaking with the media before the senior bowl.

I wonder if that is that common for senior bowl participants, or if there was some problem with questions directed at him that prompted this?

CDu
01-23-2019, 08:19 PM
I wonder if that is that common for senior bowl participants, or if there was some problem with questions directed at him that prompted this?

I would read that as “he has a first-round pick assured and doesn’t want to offer any chance of jeopardizing that by putting his foot in his mouth.”

Acymetric
01-23-2019, 08:23 PM
I would read that as “he has a first-round pick assured and doesn’t want to offer any chance of jeopardizing that by putting his foot in his mouth.”

It would seem pretty surprising if a team had promised to take him in the first round this early in the process, and I would be hesitant to take such a promise for granted at this stage. There is a lot of time between now and the draft. Players have been passed over by teams that promised to draft them when another player turned out to be unexpectedly available before, I'm not sure I would want all my eggs in that basket.

CDu
01-23-2019, 08:37 PM
It would seem pretty surprising if a team had promised to take him in the first round this early in the process, and I would be hesitant to take such a promise for granted at this stage. There is a lot of time between now and the draft. Players have been passed over by teams that promised to draft them when another player turned out to be unexpectedly available before, I'm not sure I would want all my eggs in that basket.

But how does not talking to the media hurt him?

Acymetric
01-23-2019, 08:56 PM

I sort of mis-interpreted the post and assumed he wasn't taking questions from reporters or team scouts which was a mistake on my part. I'm not quite sure why I inferred that for no reason.

Not talking to the media only hurts him in that he might get less positive coverage from media members annoyed that he won't talk to him, but I doubt that really matters leading up to the draft. It does seem like it would be smart to take some media questions to get himself out there...even as a Duke fan I haven't really seen much of DJ talking and folks who don't follow Duke likely haven't seen him at all. Seems smart to start building a little bit of name/face recognition.

BlueDevil16
01-23-2019, 09:13 PM

Yep. It's basketball but Gary Trent Jr's dad was adamant that he was going first round.

nmduke2001
01-23-2019, 09:26 PM
I sort of mis-interpreted the post and assumed he wasn't taking questions from reporters or team scouts which was a mistake on my part. I'm not quite sure why I inferred that for no reason.

Not talking to the media only hurts him in that he might get less positive coverage from media members annoyed that he won't talk to him, but I doubt that really matters leading up to the draft. It does seem like it would be smart to take some media questions to get himself out there...even as a Duke fan I haven't really seen much of DJ talking and folks who don't follow Duke likely haven't seen him at all. Seems smart to start building a little bit of name/face recognition.
Here is the tweet from one of the bronco reporters.
https://twitter.com/brandonspano/status/1088152102164140032?s=21
“I heard it earlier and wasn’t sure but I’ve just been informed again that if you want to talk to Daniel Jones for the rest of the week, you need to talk to his agent.

After appearing unlikabke yesterday, this is a bad decision when trying to build value around your character.”

CDu
01-23-2019, 09:35 PM
Yep. It's basketball but Gary Trent Jr's dad was adamant that he was going first round.

Difference here is that others are actually saying it too. Whereas all of the folks in the know were saying Trent wasn’t a first-rounder.

Dukehky
01-23-2019, 09:39 PM
Difference here is that others are actually saying it too. Whereas all of the folks in the know were saying Trent wasn’t a first-rounder.

Any mention of Trent makes me sad. He's either in the G-League or is buried on the bench in Portland. His shooting on this team... over.

Also, DJ throwing 2 picks in 7 on 7 is going to hurt worse, if at all, than his not answering media questions....

HereBeforeCoachK
01-23-2019, 09:47 PM

Agree:
I heard a reminder today that should put this all in perspective. This was in context of Tyler Murray's unpredictable status at the moment: a year ago at this time, Baker Mayfield was considered "maybe"a first round pick. He ended up going first overall after the combines, workouts, interviews, etc. Other players dropped of course. Too early to know.

As for Jones and this "ask my agent" thing, I don't get that. Sounds to me like bad advice from an agent.....and maybe a parent.....

HereBeforeCoachK
01-23-2019, 09:48 PM

A "face of the franchise" does not defer like this......okay for a linebacker, not cool for QB

Avvocato
01-24-2019, 09:21 AM
A "face of the franchise" does not defer like this...okay for a linebacker, not cool for QB

Agreed. Also, NFL GM's look at every bit of information in making their determination. They ask crazy questions in interviews, look at everything. Making a mistake on a QB in round 1 can set your franchise back a few years. This could wind up being a big nothing, or someone may question his ability to handle the media, spotlight, pressure, lead a team, question character, etc. Doesn't mean it's true. Naturally, they will also look into his history, talk with Cut, etc. But all of this stuff matters to these guys. Do you think the NY Giants want a QB that looks like he can't handle the media or pressure? Again, doesn't make it true. Of course, he may talk to these guys in a few days and all will be good. But everything gets dissected by teams. Eli Manning is the master in NY of talking to the media all of the time but saying almost nothing. Not a good look and a bad decision by DJ, but hopefully it becomes a small footnote as he works his way through the process. I also recommend avoiding interceptions in practice.

budwom
01-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Odd. How difficult is it to answer questions in the typical NFL football fashion?: I just try to give 100%, I trust my teammates, I love my coaches, I live in the film room, etc, etc, etc.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Agreed. Also, NFL GM's look at every bit of information in making their determination. They ask crazy questions in interviews, look at everything. Making a mistake on a QB in round 1 can set your franchise back a few years. This could wind up being a big nothing, or someone may question his ability to handle the media, spotlight, pressure, lead a team, question character, etc. Doesn't mean it's true. Naturally, they will also look into his history, talk with Cut, etc. But all of this stuff matters to these guys. Do you think the NY Giants want a QB that looks like he can't handle the media or pressure? Again, doesn't make it true. Of course, he may talk to these guys in a few days and all will be good. But everything gets dissected by teams. Eli Manning is the master in NY of talking to the media all of the time but saying almost nothing. Not a good look and a bad decision by DJ, but hopefully it becomes a small footnote as he works his way through the process. I also recommend avoiding interceptions in practice.

And keep in mind, media stereotypes are quick to take root and slow to change, if ever. Only one chance to make first impression. Odd that he seems to have kinda messed that up to some degree.

jimsumner
01-24-2019, 11:47 AM
Odd. How difficult is it to answer questions in the typical NFL football fashion?: I just try to give 100%, I trust my teammates, I love my coaches, I live in the film room, etc, etc, etc.

Don't forget "we need to execute the game plan."

Jones was a pretty reluctant interviewee early on. Not hostile but guarded.

But by the time he hit his senior year, he seemed pretty comfortable with the media. I'd be surprised if this is his idea. By the same token, I would be surprised to see Jones take bad advice and this seems like bad advice.

So, I guess I'm surprised.

budwom
01-24-2019, 11:53 AM
Don't forget "we need to execute the game plan."

Jones was a pretty reluctant interviewee early on. Not hostile but guarded.

But by the time he hit his senior year, he seemed pretty comfortable with the media. I'd be surprised if this is his idea. By the same token, I would be surprised to see Jones take bad advice and this seems like bad advice.

So, I guess I'm surprised.

I couldn't google up who his agent is...since Jones has been at Duke for four years, you'd think an agent would trust him to answer reasonable questions and avoid the tricky ones.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-24-2019, 11:59 AM
I couldn't google up who his agent is...since Jones has been at Duke for four years, you'd think an agent would trust him to answer reasonable questions and avoid the tricky ones.

moreover, you would think Jones would not hire someone who would give that kind of advice.....

arnie
01-24-2019, 12:21 PM
And keep in mind, media stereotypes are quick to take root and slow to change, if ever. Only one chance to make first impression. Odd that he seems to have kinda messed that up to some degree.

This is a well thought out plan to fall in the draft and be picked by the Redskins with their 2nd pick.😎

cato
01-24-2019, 12:27 PM
A "face of the franchise" does not defer like this...okay for a linebacker, not cool for QB

Plenty of time to schmooze beat reporters once you are on a roster.

budwom
01-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Backup QB in the NFL seems like a swell job....you get paid more than a million bucks to wear a red hat and hold a clip board, and you don't even get mauled all that often.

nmduke2001
01-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Apparently, Daniel did an interview with a Denver station last night. The interviewer was Ryan Edwards.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-24-2019, 03:08 PM
Plenty of time to schmooze beat reporters once you are on a roster.

With due respect, you don't seem to realize how this works.

JasonEvans
01-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Apparently, Daniel did an interview with a Denver station last night. The interviewer was Ryan Edwards.

I am a sleuth when it comes to finding stuff on the internet.

https://orangeandblue760.iheart.com/content/2019-01-24-dukes-qb-daniel-jones-on-1st-10-10/

My bet is that Daniel was saying, "I don't want to do interviews right now, I want to work on preparing for the game." That's not a terrible notion. This interview with the Denver station is very innocuous.

Acymetric
01-25-2019, 09:23 AM
I watched an interview he did the other day with some Redskins guys, and he did a pretty good job giving the standard football answers. That said, he said "umm" about 50 times in a 2 minute interview.

camion
01-25-2019, 10:50 AM
I watched an interview he did the other day with some Redskins guys, and he did a pretty good job giving the standard football answers. That said, he said "umm" about 50 times in a 2 minute interview.

You know I don't understand why people have to use filler words like you know "umm". A good public speaker you know should be able to string thoughts together you know without such awkward you know pauses.

:p

Indoor66
01-25-2019, 10:58 AM
You know I don't understand why people have to use filler words like you know "umm". A good public speaker you know should be able to string thoughts together you know without such awkward you know pauses.

I know.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-25-2019, 11:02 AM

Well we know DJ is not mentally slow.......so the ummms..........perhaps from being over managed, over handled by agents....not letting him be himself.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Well we know DJ is not mentally slow....so the ummms......perhaps from being over managed, over handled by agents...not letting him be himself.

I know some brilliant people who do this - it is not a reflection on his intellect or anything else. Proper media training (which I would assume Duke does for its football and basketball players) usually helps people eliminate this habit but no one is perfect. Better he says "um" than "like" which was a pervasive verbal tic among many people in the 80s and 90s.

sagegrouse
01-25-2019, 11:12 AM
I know some brilliant people who do this - it is not a reflection on his intellect or anything else. Proper media training (which I would assume Duke does for its football and basketball players) usually helps people eliminate this habit but no one is perfect. Better he says "um" than "like" which was a pervasive verbal tic among many people in the 80s and 90s.

I was always fond of "sorta."

devildeac
01-25-2019, 11:12 AM

...and 00s and 10s.

But, that's another thread.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-25-2019, 11:21 AM
With due respect, you don't seem to realize how this works.

Please elaborate.

IrishDevil
01-25-2019, 11:26 AM

The misuse of "like" as filler or in place of "said" or "thought" so irritated my middle school English teacher that he required students to wear a brown paper bag, the "like bag," over their heads if they succumbed to either of these habits in class. A valiant effort, perhaps, but probably unsuccessful in the long term. For people that grew up in that era, consciously noting the number of times they (mis)use like in these two ways can yield surprising results. I agree, though, verbal filler such as "like" and "um" reflects a lack of training rather than lack of intelligence.

Now, if only we could institute a DBR Pocket Manifesto bag of some kind...;)

jimsumner
01-25-2019, 11:34 AM

You need to start that sentence with the word "So."

Acymetric
01-25-2019, 11:36 AM

The misuse of "like" as filler or in place of "said" or "thought" so irritated my middle school English teacher that he required students to wear a brown paper bag, the "like bag," over their heads if they succumbed to either of these habits in class. A valiant effort, perhaps, but probably unsuccessful in the long term. For people that grew up in that era, consciously noting the number of times they (mis)use like in these two ways can yield surprising results. I agree, though, verbal filler such as "like" and "um" reflects a lack of training rather than lack of intelligence.

There were two separate phenomena involving "like". One was using "like" as a pretty much exact substitute for "umm" (camion's usage) as a verbal tic.

The usage IrishDevil is referencing was separate issue (maybe they were somehow connected) where it was used as an actual language tool with a real usage and meaning (although not one supported by English teachers) where things like "was like" is used to indicate a statement made, thought, or action performed (in place of words like said, did, or thought). This isn't so much a tic as much as it was some kind of weird offshoot dialect. It was originally associated with "valley girls" but kind of became somewhat ubiquitous throughout the states.

Example:
Todd said "duuuuuude..." -> Todd was like "duuuuuude..."

In this case it isn't a tic, just a non-traditional way to use language.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Please elaborate.

I will very quickly, as the other poster:
A: feels the need to defend the actions based on the fact that he can recover from them. Maybe he can, maybe not, but that's not a reason to defend these mistakes.
B: fails to understand how important these media impressions are to someone who wants to play NFL QB. This is a unique position in all of sports, and the PR and media demands are real and legitimate.
C: fails to understand the rule of first impressions.
D: fails to understand that when you come from Duke, and you start talking NFL draft, people are going to assume you're not up to it. A star at Oklahoma or Alabama or Clemson can enter this process with all assumptions being positive...and therefore have more leeway. Coming from Duke, DJ will have his doubters from day one, period. No reason to feed them more reasons to doubt him.
E: Duke athletes have been known over the years to be unusually open, eloquent and frank. This is what I would have expected from Daniel, and hope to see.

And again, can he overcome this slow media start? Probably so.
Is that a reason to defend or support this strategy? Not at all.

devildeac
01-25-2019, 11:46 AM
You need to start that sentence with the word "So."

Good golly, my head may explode. :o

CrazyNotCrazie
01-25-2019, 11:48 AM

There were two separate phenomena involving "like". One was using "like" as a pretty much exact substitute for "umm" (camion's usage) as a verbal tic.

The usage IrishDevil is referencing was separate issue (maybe they were somehow connected) where it was used as an actual language tool with a real usage and meaning (although not one supported by English teachers) where things like "was like" is used to indicate a statement made, thought, or action performed (in place of words like said, did, or thought). This isn't so much a tic as much as it was some kind of weird offshoot dialect. It was originally associated with "valley girls" but kind of became somewhat ubiquitous throughout the states.

Example:
Todd said "duuuuuude..." -> Todd was like "duuuuuude..."

In this case it isn't a tic, just a non-traditional way to use language.

I think IrishDevil was mentioning both of these when he noted that it could be used as a filler (your first explanation) or instead of said (your second explanation - you gave a perfect example). Regardless, I agree with both of you. When I was in middle/high school, I recall a classmate and I keeping a tally count of a girl in our class who was really bad about using like both ways (and she really liked to raise her hand and hear herself speak) - I think she would routinely get well over 30 "likes" in one class. Now, 30 years later, I get a kick out of "liking" her Facebook posts...

Despite the fact that he is from Georgia, I expect to hear a stream of "likes" whenever they interview Trevor Lawrence as he has the Spicoli look going.

Acymetric
01-25-2019, 11:55 AM
I think IrishDevil was mentioning both of these when he noted that it could be used as a filler (your first explanation) or instead of said (your second explanation - you gave a perfect example). Regardless, I agree with both of you. When I was in middle/high school, I recall a classmate and I keeping a tally count of a girl in our class who was really bad about using like both ways (and she really liked to raise her hand and hear herself speak) - I think she would routinely get well over 30 "likes" in one class. Now, 30 years later, I get a kick out of "liking" her Facebook posts...

Despite the fact that he is from Georgia, I expect to hear a stream of "likes" whenever they interview Trevor Lawrence as he has the Spicoli look going.

I had a professor in college who used "ok" as his filler word. It was a 90 minute class. One day the guy next to me and I decided to tally up the OKs (this was a required 100 level micro-econ class, we were not heavily invested). The final count was over 200.

A typical statement:

"Ok, we're going to look at [some corporation] today, ok? Ok."

Indoor66
01-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Good golly, my head may explode. :o

You know it, Miss Molly.

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 07:23 AM
A reminder the Senior Bowl (https://www.seniorbowl.com/game.php) is today at 2:30 pm EST on the NFL Network. This is an opportunity to see Daniel Jones play wearing a Duke helmet one last time. :cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
01-26-2019, 07:35 AM
A reminder the Senior Bowl (https://www.seniorbowl.com/game.php) is today at 2:30 pm EST on the NFL Network. This is an opportunity to see Daniel Jones play wearing a Duke helmet one last time. :cool:

Hah, I hope so...but lately in these games the players have been trading stickers and plastering them all over their helmets....I'd love to see the Iron D or the Duke script on full display.

UPDATE: ESPN Todd McShay said that DJ has "a sub par week" and doesn't get a lot of "zip" on the ball. Said he does have command of reading the defenses, but does not look like a first rounder to him.

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Todd McShay says Daniel Jones had a subpar week and does not look like a 1st Round pick:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/25843413/2019-senior-bowl-best-quarterbacks-nfl-draft-risers-biggest-takeaways-week-more

It appears Jones' stock fell this week. Perhaps he can redeem himself in the actual game today.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-26-2019, 10:30 AM
The reports out of this week for Jones are kind of discouraging.....and I'll state again my opinions of this situation:

First, given the buzz around him about top ten pick, he made the common sense decision.
Second, I never thought and still don't think he's a 'sure fire' NFL QB. I certainly didn't think he was first round material. There were a couple of us around DBR who agree with this, but we're the minority it seems.
Third, I hope to be proven wrong, for his sake, and Dukes.

jimsumner
01-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Keep in mind that this is hardly his only chance to make an impression with NFL scouts. Duke pro day, lots of individual workouts, NFL combine.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Keep in mind that this is hardly his only chance to make an impression with NFL scouts. Duke pro day, lots of individual workouts, NFL combine.

So true... multiple auditions following this game. Pro day is much more focused on a detailed examination of individual players than the Senior Bowl is.

budwom
01-26-2019, 11:59 AM
The reports out of this week for Jones are kind of discouraging....and I'll state again my opinions of this situation:

First, given the buzz around him about top ten pick, he made the common sense decision.
Second, I never thought and still don't think he's a 'sure fire' NFL QB. I certainly didn't think he was first round material. There were a couple of us around DBR who agree with this, but we're the minority it seems.
Third, I hope to be proven wrong, for his sake, and Dukes.

I agree completely...absolutely wish him the best success, I think he made a decent decision to leave, but I've always been skeptical about the "first round lock" talk. I'd love to be wrong.

sagegrouse
01-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Daniel Jones to start the second half for the North, according to Coach Jon Gruden.

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 02:32 PM
Daniel Jones to start the second half for the North, according to Coach Jon Gruden.

Thanks! That is good information. I've got my TV on the NFL Network waiting for the game to start. Let's go Daniel Jones - show 'em your stuff.

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Opening drive of 2nd half, Daniel Jones leads North on 10 play 84 yard drive capped off with a 1 yard TD run by Jones.

sagegrouse
01-26-2019, 04:34 PM
To begin the 3rd quarter, Daniel Jones leads the North on an 84-yard drive and scored by running it in from the one-yard line.

chrishoke
01-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Opening drive of 2nd half, Daniel Jones leads North on 10 play 84 yard drive capped off with a 1 yard TD run by Jones.

Should have been intercepted earlier in the drive on an overthrow. Still, DJ looked sharp!

sagegrouse
01-26-2019, 04:40 PM

To begin the 3rd quarter, Daniel Jones leads the North on an 84-yard drive and scored by running it in from the one-yard line.

At least two of us are watching the game!

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Daniel Jones throws a touchdown pass on a wide receiver screen play. Looking sharp!

sagegrouse
01-26-2019, 04:42 PM
TD pass by Daniel Jones to Isabella (UMass)!

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Should have been intercepted earlier in the drive on an overthrow. Still, DJ looked sharp!

Yep, nemesis Rod Thornhill (UVa) had it in his hands but dropped it.

1991 duke law
01-26-2019, 04:43 PM
I may be the only person in Canada watching - nice flea flicker by DJ.

sagegrouse
01-26-2019, 04:52 PM
D.J. may be done with six minutes left in the third quarter. After two TDs by Daniel, it appears to be a sportsmanship call by Coach Gruden to avoid embarrassing Coach Shanahan.

chrishoke
01-26-2019, 04:53 PM
Yep, nemesis Rod Thornhill (UVa) had it in his hands but dropped it.

So fitting.

Bob Green
01-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Daniel Jones named Senior Bowl MVP! :cool:

du_bb1
01-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Congrats to Jones ! just back from BB game-will watch this evening

killerleft
01-26-2019, 06:13 PM
Great! I would have watched, but don't get the NFL channel. Then again I might have missed the Cardiac Pack-like win by NC State today.

killerleft
01-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Great! I would have watched, but don't get the NFL channel. Then again I might have missed the Cardiac Pack-like win by NC State today.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Daniel Jones named Senior Bowl MVP! :cool:
This deserves recognition on the home page of the DBR! Being invited to play in the Senior Bowl is one thing. Being named the MVP is something else altogether.;)

OldPhiKap
01-26-2019, 09:12 PM
This deserves recognition on the home page of the DBR! Being invited to play in the Senior Bowl is one thing. Being named the MVP is something else altogether.;)

This. Great job, DJ!

Bob Green
01-27-2019, 07:33 AM
Here are a links to a couple of Senior Bowl articles:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25859749/quarterbacks-drew-lock-daniel-jones-bolster-nfl-case-senior-bowl

"It helps him," North coach Jon Gruden of the Oakland Raiders said of Jones saving his best performance for the end of the week. "I'm sure he wanted to start the game. We looked at the game as if it was two different games. The first was gonna be started by Lock, and the second game would be started by Jones.

CBS Sports slams Jones as inconsistent and says his receivers did all the work:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-senior-bowl-only-one-of-drew-lock-daniel-jones-looks-like-first-rounder-isabella-mclaurin-shine-in-win/

With temperatures in the mid-50s, the sun shining and hardly any wind to speak of, Jones' downfield passes regularly wobbled, and many of the throws he got away with here on Saturday would be interceptions in the NFL. Ohio State's Terry McLaurin made a nice adjustment on a flea flicker pass from Jones that was slightly underthrown and behind the wide receiver.

While we all know Daniel Jones needs further development, I'll cite one specific pass as a counterpoint to CBS criticism. Jones took the snap from under center, rolled out to his right, set his feet and delivered a pass back across the field to the tight end. Daniel delivered the ball between two defenders in a location where only the receiver could make the catch.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-27-2019, 11:55 AM
More about Daniel:
Written before the game, describes Daniel's journey https://www.al.com/sports/2019/01/daniel-jones-mobile-journey-comes-full-circle-at-senior-bowl.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=aldotcomSports_sf

From the front page of today's sports section of the Birmingham News https://www.al.com/sports/2019/01/north-rallies-for-34-24-victory-over-south-in-70th-reeses-senior-bowl.html

Bob Green
01-27-2019, 11:55 AM
For those who didn't have the opportunity (or obsession) to watch the game, this GoDuke.com article contains some video clips:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211788067

dukelifer
01-27-2019, 12:57 PM
Here are a links to a couple of Senior Bowl articles:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25859749/quarterbacks-drew-lock-daniel-jones-bolster-nfl-case-senior-bowl

CBS Sports slams Jones as inconsistent and says his receivers did all the work:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-senior-bowl-only-one-of-drew-lock-daniel-jones-looks-like-first-rounder-isabella-mclaurin-shine-in-win/

While we all know Daniel Jones needs further development, I'll cite one specific pass as a counterpoint to CBS criticism. Jones took the snap from under center, rolled out to his right, set his feet and delivered a pass back across the field to the tight end. Daniel delivered the ball between two defenders in a location where only the receiver could make the catch.

Smart kid, hard working, great size, a body of work against the ACC and studied under one of the best QB gurus in college ball. The kid may not be perfect but teams would be foolish to let him slip by too far.

WakeDevil
01-27-2019, 05:25 PM
I did not watch the game but just noticed from a picture that Jones played for the Yankees. Explain that.

duke74
01-27-2019, 06:11 PM
I did not watch the game but just noticed from a picture that Jones played for the Yankees. Explain that.

Thought it was a FOOTBALL game. Didn’t see the bats.

WakeDevil
01-27-2019, 07:03 PM
Thought it was a FOOTBALL game. Didn’t see the bats.

Jones played for the North. Duke is in the South. Maybe he is a Southern Unionist.:cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
01-27-2019, 07:17 PM
Jones played for the North. Duke is in the South. Maybe he is a Southern Unionist.:cool:

I know, I wondered about that.....

Papa John
01-27-2019, 08:56 PM

You think that's weird? The South had players from West Virginia, Temple, Pitt, and ... Buffalo!??!!? Whoever came up with these squads clearly failed basic geography...

HereBeforeCoachK
01-27-2019, 09:37 PM
You think that's weird? The South had players from West Virginia, Temple, Pitt, and ... Buffalo!??!!? Whoever came up with these squads clearly failed basic geography...

clearly a grad of unCheat

Bob Green
02-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Here is a nice article on Daniel Jones and Coach Cutcliffe. I hope a bunch of talented high school quarterbacks read it:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/07/daniel-jones-draft-quarterback-duke-david-cutcliffe-peyton-manning-eli-manning?utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com

While I enjoyed the article, I do take issue with the bold part of the following statement:

Jones is one of the top quarterback prospects in the 2019 draft class; there’s a lot to like about him. He’s 6' 5", 220 lbs, he’s accurate, he’s shown an ability to read defenses and manipulate coverage with his eyes, and he’s resilient—he broke his collarbone early in the 2018 season at Northwestern, had surgery to fix it, and returned to the field just 20 days later.

I say Daniel Jones has a tendency to lock in on and stare down the receiver he intends to target. Jones is great reading defenses pre-snap but post-snap reads are an area where he needs to improve to succeed at the next level.

CameronBornAndBred
02-11-2019, 06:29 PM
USA Today mock draft with DJ at #15, the fourth QB off the board. (Going to Redskins.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-mock-draft-feb-11-2019/ss-BBTsApw?li=BBnb7Kz#image=15

(Didn't another certain Duke QB do pretty well the Skins along time ago? :rolleyes:)

camion
02-11-2019, 06:37 PM
USA Today mock draft with DJ at #15, the fourth QB off the board. (Going to Redskins.)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-mock-draft-feb-11-2019/ss-BBTsApw?li=BBnb7Kz#image=15

(Didn't another certain Duke QB do pretty well the Skins along time ago? :rolleyes:)

I remember him, the ancient Duke quarterback, because he and I both had ruptured our Achilles tendons in the same year. I was still at Duke at the time. (Achilles was the fashionable injury before ACL came along.)

jimsumner
02-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Billy Cox? :)