PDA

View Full Version : Player Majors

DrChainsaw
12-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Sorry if this information is readily available, but I couldn't find the MBB players' academic majors on GoDuke, in the media guide or elsewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance and best wishes for a glorious holiday to all on the boards!

HoHoHo,
DrChainsaw

budwom
12-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Sorry if this information is readily available, but I couldn't find the MBB players' academic majors on GoDuke, in the media guide or elsewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

HoHoHo,
DrChainsaw

I'm sure our legion of OADs don't even bother, rarely see anyone mentioning this these days. All I know is that years ago I saw a football game featuring unc, and half their guys were majoring in "Parks and Recreation" or some such thing, which I think has to do with feeding ducks and napping.

NSDukeFan
12-24-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm sure our legion of OADs don't even bother, rarely see anyone mentioning this these days. All I know is that years ago I saw a football game featuring unc, and half their guys were majoring in "Parks and Recreation" or some such thing, which I think has to do with feeding ducks and napping.

If they actually fed the ducks and actually napped themselves, that would be a step in the right direction.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Unless something has changed in the last 42 years (ok, stop your laughing now!), at Duke you don’t declare your major until sometime your sophomore year. Even in the (Platt) School of Engineering, you don’t decide or declare until then. I always thought it dumb that an entering freshman at NS State had to declare before the first day of classes. Your interests at 18 are almost always going to change by the time you’re 19 and have gotten some classes under your belt. Obviously that doesn’t happen at carolina.....

Indoor66
12-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Unless something has changed in the last 42 years (ok, stop your laughing now!), at Duke you don’t declare your major until sometime your sophomore year. Even in the (Platt) School of Engineering, you don’t decide or declare until then. I always thought it dumb that an entering freshman at NS State had to declare before the first day of classes. Your interests at 18 are almost always going to change by the time you’re 19 and have gotten some classes under your belt. Obviously that doesn’t happen at carolina...

Actually, I think your ideas for the remainder of your life should change after your first year in college and its exposure to new ideas and people. (Of course, I hate the should word because of its implications, but the sentiment remains.)

hallcity
12-24-2018, 11:39 AM

I guess they’re set. Storm Duck just signed with UNC.
(https://247sports.com/player/storm-duck-46040134/)

Steven43
12-24-2018, 01:38 PM
I guess they’re set. Storm Duck just signed with UNC.
(https://247sports.com/player/storm-duck-46040134/)

No way is that a real human’s name.

CDu
12-24-2018, 01:52 PM
The most common major for Duke b-ball players has typically been sociology. But as has been said, the one-and-domes don’t have to declare majors

camion
12-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Actually, I think your ideas for the remainder of your life should change after your first year in college and its exposure to new ideas and people. (Of course, I hate the should word because of its implications, but the sentiment remains.)

True. And then things change more later on.

I have two degrees in physics, but I haven't done real physics in a couple of decades. The major that best matches my current (for the last 20 years) occupation is Computer Science. That major didn't exist for me when I was an undergrad; there was only one computer on the entire campus as far as I could determine and students weren't allowed to touch it.

sagegrouse
12-24-2018, 03:17 PM

HoHoHo,
DrChainsaw

I believe announcers mentioned that Jack White was a history major.

budwom
12-24-2018, 03:38 PM
I believe announcers mentioned that Jack White was a history major.

Maybe that's easy for him since Australia is what, only like a hundred years old or something? :cool:

CrazyNotCrazie
12-24-2018, 03:43 PM
The most common major for Duke b-ball players has typically been sociology. But as has been said, the one-and-domes don’t have to declare majors

Back in the 90s there was a joke that Duke had the highest average starting salary for sociology majors of any university in America, as I believe both Hurley and Laettner were sociology majors (and lottery picks).

Majors used to be pretty prominently displayed in player bios and the like, but I don't see them. The vast majority of players major in social sciences (mainly sociology or history) but I always like the exceptions to the rule - I think Langdon majored in math, Horvath was something unique, I know Domzalski was pre-med but I forget what he was, etc.

JasonEvans
12-24-2018, 04:39 PM
The best source is the player bios on GoDuke. IIRC, about half the team mentions their major in the bio.

Amusing story... back in my day (mid-late 80s) there was a player named George Burgin. He was a 7-footer who went to the same high school as Tommy Amaker. K took him on as a project that never really panned out (less than 100 minutes played in his career). In any event, George was a really bright dude. He was on a special 5-year plan where he got a dual degree in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering (might have been EE, I forget). In any event, after he graduated, he went to work for GE Aerospace.

So, when this 7-foot former Duke player would walk down the street, people would naturally ask him, "Are you a basketball player?" The GE Aerospace engineer would respond, "No, I'm a rocket scientist."

-Jason "that cracks me up every time I hear it!" Evans

budwom
12-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Back in the 90s there was a joke that Duke had the highest average starting salary for sociology majors of any university in America, as I believe both Hurley and Laettner were sociology majors (and lottery picks).

Majors used to be pretty prominently displayed in player bios and the like, but I don't see them. The vast majority of players major in social sciences (mainly sociology or history) but I always like the exceptions to the rule - I think Langdon majored in math, Horvath was something unique, I know Domzalski was pre-med but I forget what he was, etc.

Taymon went on to Duke Med school and nos practices in Southern California.

subzero02
12-24-2018, 09:39 PM

Horvath earned a degree in physics... I think Christensen had an uncommon major as well.

Indoor66
12-24-2018, 09:48 PM
Jack Marin graduated from Duke Law School after playing in the NBA for 12 or so seasons.

InSpades
12-25-2018, 03:54 AM
Along the lines of Duke basketball players w/ interesting majors... I believe Todd Singleton majored in Electrical Engineering. Very few basketball players end up in the engineering school so that was cool to see (as a fellow engineering graduate).

Of course Todd was also a walk-on which might partially explain it. This of course made me go look up what Todd has been up to and his LinkedIn profile lists some pretty impressive job titles (including a current position at Google). Go Todd!

Saratoga2
12-25-2018, 08:32 AM
Taymon went on to Duke Med school and nos practices in Southern California.

I have a grandson who has papers into Duke who wants to pursue medicine. So far he has been accepted at 2 New Yorks schools, one on a full boat. He plays soccer not basketball, but the
college football team is interested in him as he kicks field goals and extra points for his team. He plays for a prestigious academy in upstate NY and is a high honors student. Wish he was 6'9" but alas he is not even 6'.

DrChainsaw
12-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies this far. I suppose the OAD era has limited the mention of academic majors to some degree, which I find sad. I think I'm looking forward to Santa bringing me the end of OAD in the near future.

It would be interesting to hear more of what the former players who did not go on to play professional ball did post-Duke...

jv001
12-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the replies this far. I suppose the OAD era has limited the mention of academic majors to some degree, which I find sad. I think I'm looking forward to Santa bringing me the end of OAD in the near future.

It would be interesting to hear more of what the former players who did not go on to play professional ball did post-Duke...

Oh, no, please don't get that started again. :cool: GoDuke!

DevilHorse
12-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Horvath earned a degree in physics... I think Christensen had an uncommon major as well.

I recall that Horvath graduated with majors in Physics and English.

Trajan Langdon graduated with majors in Math and History.

Of course, we are not commenting as to how proficient these athletes are at these majors. One might assume that if you are a double major, you must be fairly good or fairly interested in the subject matter.
I recall at my undergraduate institution, a pier Physics major was not so good at it, but loved the subject. He did ask one of our professors for a recommendation when we were seniors, and the professor told him, "as long as it isn't in physics."

Larry
DevilHorse