PDA

View Full Version : Scathing article about Little Cheats

proelitedota
12-22-2018, 01:33 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2811408-nassir-little-is-learning-the-hard-way?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Roy using Luke Maye as an example of player development in reponse to why Little wasn't getting minutes says it all.

arnie
12-22-2018, 01:52 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2811408-nassir-little-is-learning-the-hard-way?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Roy using Luke Maye as an example of player development in reponse to why Little wasn't getting minutes says it all.

Love the way Roy compares Little to Luke Maye as a freshman and article notes Maye “could” play in NBA. Is Cole Anthony paying attention?

golfinesquire
12-22-2018, 02:04 PM
I did not think the article made UNC look bad. It seemed to laud Roy for his “earn everything “ approach. What I did not like was when the authors juxtaposed UNC with us and made it look like K just handed out playing time to freshmen, whether they deserved it or not.

fuse
12-22-2018, 02:55 PM
I didn’t read this as negative or scathing at all.

The most important thing I learned about Nassir Little was the loss of his best friend this summer. Wishing him peace and comfort, as there are more important things than basketball.

lotusland
12-22-2018, 04:14 PM
I can’t stand Roy and his sanctimonious preaching but I’ma little jealous of the Cheats upperclassmen led teams lately and this article makes me hate him less. Whether by plan or by dumb luck,they’ve had slightly better success than Duke since we’ve gone full OAD. So if Cole Anthony doesn’t get butt kissed enough to play for the Cheats I’d say that’s a strike against him and not Roy. Besides Coby White is starting and staring so I doubt Little is hurting his recruiting.

hallcity
12-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Make of that article what you will but it won’t help UNC recruiting.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-22-2018, 08:57 PM
Make of that article what you will but it won’t help UNC recruiting.

That's exactly what I made of it....loved it for that reason. And Little was awful tonight.....non factor.

PackMan97
12-22-2018, 09:01 PM
If you are a burger boy and want an extended time in college, Carolina is for you. That's what I took from the article....that and you don't even start over a former walkon.

UrinalCake
12-22-2018, 09:45 PM
I didn't get all the way through that interminably long article, because who has that kind of attention span any more, but will offer the following comments:

- I don't believe Little should be starting over Maye or Johnson. I do believe he should be starting over Garrison Brooks. But that would require Roy straying from his preferred two-big lineup
- It sounds like Little is thinking way too much on the court. I think that Coach K has adapted to his younger players by simplifying his offense and especially his defense so that they can play more freely and their natural abilities can take over. It took a few years of relying on one-year players before he got to that point, and Roy clearly isn't there yet.
- Carlos Boozer made very similar comments about Duke in terms of not being guaranteed anything. He said that other schools guaranteed him playing time, shots, and even monetary gifts and cars and stuff like that (I wonder which school he was referring to? Hmmm...) but that Duke told him he'd have to earn it. Boozer played a long time ago, but I have to think that similar things are still said today.
- Little had a reputation as being a great defender in high school, it's one of the reasons he shot up the rankings and was even considered to be a better NBA prospect by some than our big three. So it's interesting to see him struggle so much on that end. Again, it sounds like Roy's scheme is just too complicated for him to grasp, which is something that Duke fans use to say about our switching man defense but not so much this season.
- After reading this article and watching his pedestrian performance today, I am feeling even better about my chances in the pie bet I made regarding him staying another year ;)

richardjackson199
12-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Roy's Presser Post Kentucky:

I enjoyed listening to the whole thing - Roy referring to his staff not doing a good job in the 3rd person, blaming his players effort, and then the highlight is near the end starting at about the 7:40 mark of the presser. He gets asked about when Little might be ready to play more during crunch time than sit on the bench. No spoilers here, just enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdANxyz3kY

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-23-2018, 01:47 AM
Roy's Presser Post Kentucky:

I enjoyed listening to the whole thing - Roy referring to his staff not doing a good job in the 3rd person, blaming his players effort, and then the highlight is near the end starting at about the 7:40 mark of the presser. He gets asked about when Little might be ready to play more during crunch time than sit on the bench. No spoilers here, just enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdANxyz3kY

Say what you will about Ol Roy, but I was impressed to see him post game, flanked by his two most impressive players.

Thanks for the link.

bigperm13
12-23-2018, 04:27 AM
"If I'm holding him back then why am I starting Coby?"

Um, what?

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-23-2018, 06:31 AM
Ol Roy is starting to come unglued. Little better watch out for the big bus headed his way.

arnie
12-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Ol Roy is starting to come unglued. Little better watch out for the big bus headed his way.

He is something else. His first comments are how bad his Christmas will be😡. What a pitiful individual and the Carolina Way.

MChambers
12-23-2018, 07:29 AM
I didn't see the article as scathing. I certainly agree with fuse that I'm sorry to read about the death of Little's best friend.

What I found most interesting was this quote from Luke May: "Coach is asking Nas to play three positions—and to play three positions in an offense that you read everything is really difficult. He's doing the best he can."

I guess that's why Duke doesn't have positions? Seriously, is Roy's offense so structured that a freshman can't play three positions? And K's is the opposite?

And I thought UNCheat's offense with Little was very good, according to some stat geek. It's his defense that's lacking.

OldPhiKap
12-23-2018, 07:30 AM
Instructive at the end of the video, Roy talking about the rigid line between the 2-3 and 4-5 postitions. Compare that to K and our positionless approach.

Dean developed a very potent system, and Roy has run it well. But it seems that there is a square peg-round hole problem sometimes. K adapts his offense and defense to the abilities of his players; Roy tries to fit players’ abilities into the roles his system demands.

At least, that’s how it seems to me.

UNC has a lot of talent. I question whether Roy gets the most out of it.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-23-2018, 07:35 AM
"If I'm holding him back then why am I starting Coby?"

Um, what?

Meaning, if I'm holding back Nas because he's a freshman, then why......"

arnie
12-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Meaning, if I'm holding back Nas because he's a freshman, then why..."

He makes a big deal of “I don’t care what other people think of me”, then tells us them why they’re wrong thinking about him that way.

dbcooper
12-23-2018, 07:51 AM
John Calipari and Bobby Hurley says Merry Christmas!:p:p:p

Go Duke!

bigperm13
12-23-2018, 10:58 AM
Meaning, if I'm holding back Nas because he's a freshman, then why..."

I understood what Ol' Roy said, there was just no point to it. And the reporter called him out on it ("I'm gonna answer your question, Jeff").

Little is quoted as saying "This program is not for everybody" which is a red flag coming from a guy who's 12 games into his freshman season imo. Losing his best friend at the end of August to suicide is probably the biggest factor of them all though. He's playing for Tommy (the best friend), putting extra pressure on himself to not fail him and thinking too much on the court instead of just playing. I think it will eventually click for him at some point. Probably a game or two before the game at Cameron on 2/20.

budwom
12-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Anyone else notice in the unc-KY game the thinly veiled shot CBS took at ESPN and Vitale? They mentioned that CBS sports coverage was for those who don't like to listen to a lot of shouting. Not sure why they felt compelled to say that, it's not
like you get your choice of announcers for each game...

richardjackson199
12-23-2018, 01:03 PM
Anyone else notice in the unc-KY game the thinly veiled shot CBS took at ESPN and Vitale? They mentioned that CBS sports coverage was for those who don't like to listen to a lot of shouting. Not sure why they felt compelled to say that, it's not
like you get your choice of announcers for each game...

I thought they were taking a shot at ESPN and Stephen A Smith. I thought they were saying on CBS you could listen to a sports talk show free from hot takes and shouting. But I really wasn't paying attention, so maybe it was toward Vitale.

UrinalCake
12-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Roy at yesterday’s post-game presser:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-23-2018, 01:21 PM
I thought they were taking a shot at ESPN and Stephen A Smith. I thought they were saying on CBS you could listen to a sports talk show free from hot takes and shouting. But I really wasn't paying attention, so maybe it was toward Vitale.

I assumed, depending on the era, they were referring to Steven A, Colin Cowherd, Bayless, Vitale...

HereBeforeCoachK
12-23-2018, 05:02 PM
I assumed, depending on the era, they were referring to Steven A, Colin Cowherd, Bayless, Vitale...

Cowherd? In that group?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Cowherd? In that group?

Oh no... Another place we disagree?

Let's let that one drop. I want to get along with you for the holidays!
;)