PDA

View Full Version : CFB: other bowl games

Reilly
12-22-2018, 11:51 AM
There are 38 other bowl games in addition to the Independence Bowl that most of America is focusing on right now.

Nine are already complete. Utah State and Tulane rolled; Herm Edwards lost; App State won big; NIU got a warm climate but lost big; Ohio shut out SDSU.

Four more kicking off today -- including WFU in a few minutes, and Army later this afternoon.

Tripping William
12-22-2018, 11:54 AM
There are 38 other bowl games in addition to the Independence Bowl that most of America is focusing on right now.

Nine are already complete. Utah State and Tulane rolled; Herm Edwards lost; App State won big; NIU got a warm climate but lost big; Ohio shut out SDSU.

Four more kicking off today -- including WFU in a few minutes, and Army later this afternoon.

And BYU clobbered West Michigan on the blue turf of the Potato Bowl.

Bob Green
12-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Greg Dortch not playing for Wake Forest.

75Crazie
12-22-2018, 12:12 PM
ESPN screwed Wake today, maybe not intentionally … but the football bowl game and the key basketball game against #3 Tennessee both tipped off at the same time.

Bob Green
12-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Wake Forest scores on the game's first possession to take a 7-0 lead. Newman to Surratt for a red zone TD.

TKG
12-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Memphis 28 - Wake 10 with 11 minutes to go in the 2Q.

Memphis has scored on a 41- yard run, a pick 6 and a kickoff return.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Now Memphis is down 3 of 4 starting DL...and Newman looked better in that last drive. Maybe they can hang in there...after all, Memphis is used to getting big leads against UCF and losing...and Wake's uniforms look a lot like UCFs....

UPDATE: fantastic catch for 37 yards by Wake's Washington....great TD run a play later by Newman.

Bob Green
12-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Halftime: Memphis 28, Wake Forest 24

Wake clawed their way back into the game with a couple of touchdown runs by QB Newman.

arnie
12-22-2018, 01:57 PM
ESPN screwed Wake today, maybe not intentionally … but the football bowl game and the key basketball game against #3 Tennessee both tipped off at the same time.

Didn’t turn out to be an issue as WF b-ball is horrible. Even with the Fedora size buyout; how much longer for Manning?

HereBeforeCoachK
12-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Newman really playing well after about 3 shaky series in a row......just threw a perfect 49 yarder

Bob Green
12-22-2018, 02:44 PM
End of 3rd quarter: Wake Forest 30, Memphis 28

Demon Deacons grinding out yards against the depleted Memphis defensive line. Lots of football left to play in Birmingham.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2018, 03:07 PM
End of 3rd quarter: Wake Forest 30, Memphis 28

Demon Deacons grinding out yards against the depleted Memphis defensive line. Lots of football left to play in Birmingham.

Wake's delayed runs are sort of confounding. They look so slow,but are effective.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-22-2018, 03:26 PM
This Wake game is really an amazing finish

Bob Green
12-22-2018, 03:41 PM
Final: Wake Forest 37, Memphis 34.

Memphis misses a game tying field goal attempt on the last play of the game.

richardjackson199
12-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Final: Wake Forest 37, Memphis 34.

Memphis misses a game tying field goal attempt on the last play of the game.

Yep, Dave Clawson finally found a good use for those time-outs he was saving. I knew Memphis was going to miss it after that false start penalty backed them up 5 yards. Wake Forest writing the book on showing teams a tough way to lose. I hope we beat them by 80 next year. Suck it Dave Clawson. Yes still bitter.

Bob Green
12-22-2018, 05:09 PM
Armed Forces Bowl

Halftime: Army 42, Houston 7

This is the Army team a healthy Duke dominated 34-14 in Week 1.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-22-2018, 05:57 PM
Wake's delayed runs are sort of confounding. They look so slow,but are effective.

....yeah, it's the RRRRRRRRRR-PPPPPPPPPPP-OOOOOOOOOO - in slow mo.........

75Crazie
12-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Yep, Dave Clawson finally found a good use for those time-outs he was saving. I knew Memphis was going to miss it after that false start penalty backed them up 5 yards. Wake Forest writing the book on showing teams a tough way to lose. I hope we beat them by 80 next year. Suck it Dave Clawson. Yes still bitter.
I do not understand being bitter towards a team or coach against which Duke completely failed to show up. Did they run up the score? I don't know, because there was just no resistance for the most part of that game.

TKG
12-22-2018, 06:51 PM
As I write this Army has scored 70 points on Houston in the Armed Forces Bowl. Damn!

OldPhiKap
12-22-2018, 06:52 PM
I do not understand being bitter towards a team or coach against which Duke completely failed to show up. Did they run up the score? I don't know, because there was just no resistance for the most part of that game.

Yeah, the fault was on our side of the field not theirs. Nice win for Wake.

Troublemaker
12-22-2018, 06:59 PM

That was a case of a coach stealing a win for sure. The Memphis kicker made two in a row but couldn't make three. I don't know college foots like some of you guys, but always been impressed with Clawson.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-22-2018, 08:55 PM
That was a case of a coach stealing a win for sure. The Memphis kicker made two in a row but couldn't make three. I don't know college foots like some of you guys, but always been impressed with Clawson.

Clawson can coach......setting aside Dabo, the two best coaches in the league have initials DC

richardjackson199
12-22-2018, 09:19 PM

Of course you're right. Great win for Wake who needed to win that game for bowl eligibility. We were 11 point favorites and lost at home by 52 hurting our bowl prestige options. Anytime a team beats us like that I'm going to be bitter and hope we crush them next time. Clawson is a great coach who helped them get another great win today, even more impressive without Dortch.

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Two thoughts.
First one...I felt so bad for that Memphis kicker.
Second one...can't say Duke doesn't know the pain of losing to Wake on a kick.

Was happy to see the ACC pull out the win, and I loved that final WFU scoring drive. I just wish their defense would have stood up and answered so it didn't feel like such a dirty victory.

Bob Green
12-23-2018, 06:34 AM
Not bowl game information but there is no need to resuscitate an old thread, DBRers interested in football will find and read this interesting article right here...

Virginia Tech cancels future games against ECU in Greenville:

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/12/virginia-tech-cancels-future-football-games-at-ecu/

Friday, Babcock retaliated for the loss of the home date by announcing that Tech will not play at ECU in 2019. The Hokies have also cancelled two other scheduled games in Greenville, during the 2023 and 2025 seasons.

Juvenile behavior which lowers my already very low opinion of the Hokies.

OldPhiKap
12-23-2018, 07:37 AM
Not bowl game information but there is no need to resuscitate an old thread, DBRers interested in football will find and read this interesting article right here...

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/12/virginia-tech-cancels-future-football-games-at-ecu/

I think VT is right here. Sure, ECU was facing an incredibly large hurricane that could potentially devastate the entire region. And sure, they have a duty to be concerned about the safety of their team and their fans. But did they even stop to ponder the inconvenience to the Hokies?

Miss Manners says, if you’re going to cancel last minute like that you should at least send a fruit basket and a hand-written note. ECU cannot hide behind the old “sorry, there’s an historic hurricane headed this way” as an excuse for lack of manners.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-23-2018, 07:37 AM

That's absurd. Juvenile. Infantile. Where are the adults?

Reilly
12-23-2018, 09:12 AM
I'd be interested in the penalty clauses, if any, to the agreement to play each other. I'm guessing the cancellation of the trips to ECU is not triggering a payment from VT to ECU.

I read elsewhere this probably means VT will play two FCS teams in 2019. So, this could cost VT its bowl streak if it turns in another 6-6 season.

I also read VT was doing a lot to help ECU with travel and extra hotel accommodations this past season and VT was blindsided by the announcement, and then VT had to stressfully struggle to find Marshall. On the surface, this looks bad for VT, but maybe there was some sort of inexcusable lack of communication by ECU (seems hard to imagine it would be inexcusable, but who knows).

I forget Duke's reasons but it brought back memories of the L'ville cancellation by Duke and then we got sued and argued any team would be better than us.

Acymetric
12-23-2018, 09:28 AM
My recollection is that technically both teams needed to sign off on cancelling. ECU wanted to cancel, VT knew this, but tried to force ECU's hand by not agreeing to cancel, insisting that it would be fine. VT was only blindsided in that instead of saying g "yes, sire" they said "yeah, look, coastal school, hurricane, we're seriously not coming".

Obviously I don't know the details of the contract, but refusing to agree to cancel even when circumstances clearly called for it would seem like bad faith to me.

The VT response wasn't exactly classy either:

https://twitter.com/joeovies/status/1039638192381677568