PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v Texas Tech (Dec 20, 2018)

JBDuke
12-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in the win over Texas Tech tonight?

weezie
12-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Jack White said, climb on, I'm taking us in. With massive assist from Tre.

I'm voting for Tre but my heart is with Jack.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-20-2018, 09:21 PM

I'll equalize it for you....I'll go Jack, but my brain is with Tre....

"that's not a knife........THIS is a knife...."

Ballboy1998
12-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Went with Tre, but Jack or Zion would both be great picks. Also, while far from MOTM, I loved seeing Cam bounce back with a big three and some big free throws late.

Papa John
12-20-2018, 09:30 PM

I voted Jack... But Tre would suffice tonight as well. Those two were warriors... Or RJ, who had a rough start but kept chipping away at it... Or Cam, who also had a rough start but was clutch in prime time... Or Zion, who exerted his will at key moments throughout... This is a fun team to watch!

jipops
12-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Tre White

wsb3
12-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Jack White is by far my favorite player on this team but I felt like Tre kept us in the game. What a tough win.

dalmatians98
12-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Tre White

This.

BandAlum83
12-20-2018, 09:46 PM
I live Jack White, but Tre for defensive player of the year!?

Can you imagine back in the day of 4 year stars what he could become?!

TruBlu
12-20-2018, 09:47 PM
Tre. 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 STEALS*. Oh, and 13 points.

* and countless other things like on-ball pressure that resulted in shot clock violations, rushed shots, and general frustrations byTT.

And a tip of the hat to Jack. Tough dude.

moonpie23
12-20-2018, 09:54 PM
funny......the title to the front page of espn.com

Williamson, Barrett carry Duke past Texas Tech

elvis14
12-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Tre was the obvious MOTM.
Jack, I'm just so proud of Jack. He's improved so much, plays great D, hits his shots, is a good teammate. Basketball Dundee is a great addition to Duke basketball.

fogey
12-20-2018, 10:02 PM
TT came out dedicated to cultivating charges. (As if they went to Duke camp in the 90's ) Our kids have to learn to anticipate and deal with that, pull up, kick out to wing. AND THEN MAKE A COUPLE OF OUTSIDE SHOTS! This game would be a blow out if we shot our uncontested 3's with any accuracy . BTW, our stellar defense tonight bumped us up from #5 nationally to #3 on KenPom. Best defense by a Duke team in decades.

pamtar
12-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Tre White. White Jones. Jack Tre. Jack Jones. Jacktre Wajones.

Great starting five.

UrinalCake
12-20-2018, 10:08 PM
^ yep, the refs were obviously very charge-happy tonight but they were consistent with it and our guys never adjusted. If you know the defense is just trying to draw a charge then you have an open pull up jumpshot without them being able to contest. Good learning experience for the players. Zion’s fifth was absolute baloney though.

OldPhiKap
12-20-2018, 10:13 PM
Tre White. White Jones. Jack Tre. Jack Jones. Jacktre Wajones.

Great starting five.

White Pebbles.

devildeac
12-20-2018, 10:40 PM
^ yep, the refs were obviously very charge-happy tonight but they were consistent with it and our guys never adjusted. If you know the defense is just trying to draw a charge then you have an open pull up jumpshot without them being able to contest. Good learning experience for the players. Zion’s fifth was absolute baloney though.

Baloney is being kind. Very kind. :mad:

OZZIE4DUKE
12-20-2018, 10:41 PM
Well, I was at the game. Worst officiating I’ve ever seen. 4 charges on Zion? Really? BS. I was going to vote for Tre while we were losing, but then my MOTM hit our first three, and then another and then made an amazing defensive play or six, so Jack White gets my vote tonight!

devildeac
12-20-2018, 10:42 PM
Tre. Made very few mistakes tonight (1 TO and got beat a couple times on drives). Jack and Zion were very good, too, but, ya gotta be on the floor at closing time, big guy, even if the refs suck Richard.

jacone21
12-20-2018, 10:47 PM
Tre saved them superstars' butts tonight.

NSDukeFan
12-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Tre was a defensive monster tonight. 6 steals doesn’t feel like it does justice to the havoc he caused while pressuring the basketball. The team couldn’t shoot in the first half but Tre kept the team in the game by creating offense from his defence. He is so good and so fun to cheer for.

Bob Green
12-21-2018, 04:52 AM
Tre Jones earns my vote with 13 points, 6 steals, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and only 1 turnover.

Neals384
12-21-2018, 07:13 AM
This should have been unanimous. Don’t take my word for it. Here’s K:

"Tre was the key to the game," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said after the game. "He just turned it around for us with six steals. ... It was magnificent to see. He did a hell of a job, as good on the ball as we've had starting with Amaker, Hurley, Wojo, Duhon. He's right there and tonight, maybe better."

HereBeforeCoachK
12-21-2018, 07:18 AM
This should have been unanimous. Don’t take my word for it. Here’s K:

"Tre was the key to the game," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said after the game. "He just turned it around for us with six steals. ... It was magnificent to see. He did a hell of a job, as good on the ball as we've had starting with Amaker, Hurley, Wojo, Duhon. He's right there and tonight, maybe better."

If really pressed, I'm sure it is unanimous....but in polls like these, we know who's going to win. I voted Jack, not because I didn't think Tre was deserving, he clearly was - but because I think White deserved recognition and second place in the voting. We all knew Tre would win the poll.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2018, 07:28 AM
If really pressed, I'm sure it is unanimous...but in polls like these, we know who's going to win. I voted Jack, not because I didn't think Tre was deserving, he clearly was - but because I think White deserved recognition and second place in the voting. We all knew Tre would win the poll.

Jack is a wholly defendable pick IMO. His spark on both ends of the floor helped create the separation near the end.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Jack is a wholly defendable pick IMO. His spark on both ends of the floor helped create the separation near the end.

And the biggest shot of the game...his first corner 3. We may not win without that going down.

knicknut
12-21-2018, 07:53 AM
funny...the title to the front page of espn.com

Williamson, Barrett carry Duke past Texas Tech

So frustrating. Not sure if this is just part of ESPN's motive to create recognizable stars to draw in the average viewer, or if the copy editor just looked at the box score for all of three seconds and saw they were our two leading scorers.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-21-2018, 08:37 AM
So frustrating. Not sure if this is just part of ESPN's motive to create recognizable stars to draw in the average viewer, or if the copy editor just looked at the box score for all of three seconds and saw they were our two leading scorers.

I noticed that too....same header in Wiseman's N and O piece (likely was not Wiseman's header).

As to why? I think it's both click bait and laziness glancing at the box score....should be "Jones, White Lead Duke" etc....

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-21-2018, 08:42 AM
I tried to find that guy, "Tre Young" to vote for him. Bless his heart.
Love, Ima

ChillinDuke
12-21-2018, 09:03 AM
It can be no one else but Tre.

That play where he forced like his 9th Texas Tech turnover on the sideline while totally gassed then walked over to I think it was C-well for a high five with a look of "I thought I told ya that we won't stop" was quintessential and totally absurd.

It was everything that is Duke.

- Chillin

OldPhiKap
12-21-2018, 09:24 AM
And the biggest shot of the game...his first corner 3. We may not win without that going down.

K mentioned that play in his post-game press conference too.

It is telling that the two student-athletes that accompanied K to the presser were Tre and Jack.

jv001
12-21-2018, 10:22 AM
When there are 2 players that I think are deserving of the MOTM award, I usually vote for my 2nd choice on the front page. Then my first choice on DBR. So, the winner of DBR MOTM is, wait for it...………………………………………………………….. TRE JONES!!!!!

Not only were his numbers great, the eye test says so as well. When we were down 7 or 8 points, I kept saying, if not for Tre we would be down 15-20 points. His defense is a thing of beauty. I never thought I would see another Bob Hurley, Billy King or Tommy Amaker defender( on the ball). But here comes Tre Jones.

My 2nd choice was Captain Jack. That first three and then the bomb from the corner were clutch. He is so fundamentally sound that he hardly makes a bad play. Tre is the most valuable player on this team but Jack is in the discussion for 2nd place.

GoDuke!

DukieInBrasil
12-21-2018, 10:57 AM
6 steals, 5 assists, 1 turn and he scored 13 pts. Tre's defense was on another level, constantly forcing their PG into bad positions or just taking it from him.

gep
12-21-2018, 12:07 PM
TRE for me too. He even had his”Grayson moment” in the second half with Duke down 8 and reeling. But Jack IS the unsung glue... hard to choose

SupaDave
12-21-2018, 02:50 PM
I went with Jack. Not because Tre wasn't outstanding but for what Jack white PROVED this game. No one on this team is to be taken lightly. The mismatch isn't what you think it is. We ALL play defense. And that's what get US pumped up.

They got by Jack ONE time - it didn't happen again...

HereBeforeCoachK
12-21-2018, 06:41 PM
TRE for me too. He even had his”Grayson moment” in the second half with Duke down 8 and reeling. But Jack IS the unsung glue... hard to choose

...I wouldn't say Jack is "un sung" - not around Duke fans. We know.....we sing his praises......the dude is crucial, and clearly they all love him.....

NSDukeFan
12-21-2018, 08:09 PM
I think Tre is unsung, since he didn’t get every vote in this poll. He was amazing.

Sluggo
12-21-2018, 09:13 PM
I knew Tre played the whole game but was surprised to see that Jack played 32 minutes. All well deserved. That is more than 3 of the starters (acknowledging Zion got jobbed by the refs). Only other player with more minutes than Jack, was RJ. I wonder if coach will experiment with some different starting lineups in the new year.

MChambers
12-21-2018, 09:16 PM
I knew Tre played the whole game but was surprised to see that Jack played 32 minutes. All well deserved. Only other player with more minutes than Jack, was RJ. I wonder if coach will experiment with some different starting lineups in the new year.

Jack’s been playing about as much as Cam, behind RJ, Zion, and Tre. Jack seems happy coming off the bench. I’d be surprised if K changed that.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Jack’s been playing about as much as Cam, behind RJ, Zion, and Tre. Jack seems happy coming off the bench. I’d be surprised if K changed that.

Agreed. Jack is playing starter minutes, and he's playing well. He's there at the end in the close games. That's what count. He's obviously comfortable in this role. No reason to change it.