PDA

View Full Version : YouTube Gold: Duke-Washington 1985

Rich
12-19-2018, 08:23 PM
From the cover of DBR, if someone can find and let me know the time of the David Henderson dunk, you get a pie! Just kidding, but I would appreciate it. I have really good memories of that game, particularly that dunk. I recall he drove an open lane on the baseline on the left goal (from the TV perspective) from the right (far side) of the basket and threw it down with his right hand. Probably tame by today's standards, but it brought the house down. Let's see how good my memory is.

In those days they didn't televise all or even most of our games, so the Cameron Crazies really savored those moments on national TV. Also, unlike today, if there was one dunk per game it was a lot. I might have just talked myself into watching the whole thing.

CameronBlue
12-19-2018, 08:51 PM
In those days they didn't televise all or even most of our games, so the Cameron Crazies really savored those moments on national TV. Also, unlike today, if there was one dunk per game it was a lot. I might have just talked myself into watching the whole thing.

My wife just likes the shorts.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-19-2018, 08:51 PM
If I recall, K was not particularly happy with the officiating in the NCAAT game v Washington......

Rich
12-19-2018, 08:57 PM
From the cover of DBR, if someone can find and let me know the time of the David Henderson dunk, you get a pie! Just kidding, but I would appreciate it. I have really good memories of that game, particularly that dunk. I recall he drove an open lane on the baseline on the left goal (from the TV perspective) from the right (far side) of the basket and threw it down with his right hand. Probably tame by today's standards, but it brought the house down. Let's see how good my memory is.

I answered my own question - 01:10:07. My memory served me well. The only think I missed was that he was fouled too. And I will now eat some pie!

BandAlum83
12-20-2018, 12:38 AM
https://youtu.be/EAMhMxDa1Fc

Memories. No Shot clock, students ringing the entire floor, and no replay from 4 angles.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-20-2018, 08:47 AM
https://youtu.be/EAMhMxDa1Fc

Memories. No Shot clock, students ringing the entire floor, and no replay from 4 angles.

I can't get any volume.....anyone else having that problem?

WillJ
12-20-2018, 10:24 AM
This game includes, of course, "Hendo Jam #1", the "1" being added later after memorable later dunks by Phil Henderson (over Alonzo Mourning) and any number of dunks by Gerald Henderson. Still, David's dunk over Reggie Rogers will always be Hendo Jam #1.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-20-2018, 11:04 AM
This game includes, of course, "Hendo Jam #1", the "1" being added later after memorable later dunks by Phil Henderson (over Alonzo Mourning) and any number of dunks by Gerald Henderson. Still, David's dunk over Reggie Rogers will always be Hendo Jam #1.

I think the Phil Henderson dunk over Alonzo was a seminal moment in Duke history. Duke was becoming a power, but this dunk was before Duke had any Nattys....it was on national TV in a crucial NCAAT game...it was over the most intimidating big man in the country...and it really seemed to be a huge moment that led to Duke winning that game. That win gave them the third FF appearance in 4 years. I cringe to think what might've happened (or not happened) in that game, in Duke history, without it.

EDIT: I see there's a story on DBR from right after Henderson's untimely death where the author thinks that the image of Georgetown (Mourning, following Ewing) never recovered from that moment. Coach K talks a lot about moments being so important. I think he's right and I think this was certainly one of them.