PDA

View Full Version : Some football stuff

jimsumner
12-19-2018, 06:46 PM
DE Terrell Lucas is leaving the team and will take his chances elsewhere as a grad-student.

Lucas was fifth on the team in snaps at his position and the four players ahead of him--Dimukeje, Hornbuckle, Jordan and Rumph--all return next year. So, probably an accurate reading of the tea leaves.

OT Patrick Leitten underwent ACL surgery. Second time. Not good.

Bob Green
12-19-2018, 06:51 PM
Thanks, Jim. I just finished listening to Coach Cutcliffe's signing day press conference so I heard the Patrick Leitten news at the very end. As far as Terrell Lucas goes, I hate to see him leave but understand and wish him the best in future endeavors.

devildeac
12-19-2018, 10:42 PM
DE Terrell Lucas is leaving the team and will take his chances elsewhere as a grad-student.

Lucas was fifth on the team in snaps at his position and the four players ahead of him--Dimukeje, Hornbuckle, Jordan and Rumph--all return next year. So, probably an accurate reading of the tea leaves.

Thanks for the update. Any chance Rumph gets moved to LB where I *think* he played 1 game this year (GT perhaps)?

barely
12-20-2018, 01:00 AM
I think that’s a great question. Particularly if Giles leaves early, it looks like we may need help at LB and Rumph seems to have the speed (and not have the optimal size for DE). Maybe I’m wrong about our depth and there’s some great LB talent we’d didn’t see on the field this year, but we didn’t look great when JHG and BH were out.

MarkD83
12-20-2018, 04:45 AM

We often get caught up in the roster implications of these announcements. However if he is going elsewhere as a grad-student then he earned a Duke degree.

In which case congratulations!!!!!

Avvocato
12-20-2018, 12:44 PM
I think that’s a great question. Particularly if Giles leaves early, it looks like we may need help at LB and Rumph seems to have the speed (and not have the optimal size for DE). Maybe I’m wrong about our depth and there’s some great LB talent we’d didn’t see on the field this year, but we didn’t look great when JHG and BH were out.

I think Rumph played great in limited time. I think he needs to see the field more regardless. I’m excited to see what he will bring next year.

jimsumner
12-20-2018, 12:55 PM
Duke wants to keep Rumph at DE.

The key to Duke's linebacker depth next season will be the two freshmen who redshirted this season, Shaka Heyward and Rocky Shelton. I would expect both to leapfrog Gagnon and Morgenstern on next season's depth chart. Duke really likes them. Neither is huge. But both can run and hit.

devildeac
12-20-2018, 01:02 PM

The key to Duke's linebacker depth next season will be the two freshmen who redshirted this season, Shaka Heyward and Rocky Shelton. I would expect both to leapfrog Gagnon and Morgenstern on next season's depth chart. Duke really likes them. Neither is huge. But both can run and hit.

Thinking Hill and Quansah will be starters if JGH departs?

jimsumner
12-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Thinking Hill and Quansah will be starters if JGH departs?

That is the assumption. No guarantee that JGH is leaving. Or staying. Very much TBD.

With Paul Johnson out of the equation, that three-LB lineup is likely to go the way of the Edsel. Cut is committed to the 4-2-5.

BD80
12-20-2018, 01:09 PM

... Shaka Heyward and Rocky Shelton. ...

Great names for linebackers, … or entertainers.

Do the Crazies in Wally Wade organize cheers? A nice "Ha-Rumph" would be appreciated by this "Brooks" fan.

jimsumner
12-20-2018, 01:11 PM

Do the Crazies in Wally Wade organize cheers? A nice "Ha-Rumph" would be appreciated by this "Brooks" fan.

Rocky Shelton sounds like a character from the Flintstones.

DU82
12-20-2018, 01:49 PM

They would if the PA system didn’t blast other stuff every down, not giving them (or DUMB) a chance.

peloton
12-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Rocky Shelton sounds like a character from the Flintstones.

Agreed. Rock Hudstone...Cary Granite...Ann-Margrock, and others were "guests" on The Flintstones of course. I am of course not old enough to have seen any of those episodes when they initially aired ;).

Thanks for the gridiron goings on update, Jim. If nothing else it keeps us interested in (if not quite excited for...yet) our upcoming bowl game. I only say this because the bad taste still lingers in my mouth from the Wake Forest fiasco. Of course, as the date draws nearer I'll be more psyched to watch another Duke football game. I just hope this team still has some pride and comes out with some fire. The team that was demolished by the Deacs certainly didn't. I have confidence that they will by the way.

rasputin
12-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Agreed. Rock Hudstone...Cary Granite...Ann-Margrock, and others were "guests" on The Flintstones of course. I am of course not old enough to have seen any of those episodes when they initially aired ;).

Thanks for the gridiron goings on update, Jim. If nothing else it keeps us interested in (if not quite excited for...yet) our upcoming bowl game. I only say this because the bad taste still lingers in my mouth from the Wake Forest fiasco. Of course, as the date draws nearer I'll be more psyched to watch another Duke football game. I just hope this team still has some pride and comes out with some fire. The team that was demolished by the Deacs certainly didn't. I have confidence that they will by the way.

I remember the marquee for the movie theater in Bedrock showing a movie starring Cary Granite and Dinah Saur.