PDA

View Full Version : Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Stadium?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2018, 11:21 PM
Rename the facility? Maybe when K retires in 15 or 20 years, but not before then!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

richardjackson199
12-16-2018, 11:41 PM
K was asked this question when the court was named Coach K court. K said he preferred that it always be called Cameron Indoor Stadium.

BLPOG
12-16-2018, 11:54 PM
Rename Cameron? Deposit that idea directly into the circle file.

DrChainsaw
12-17-2018, 06:20 AM

Ditto.

1991 duke law
12-17-2018, 06:42 AM
Ditto.

Concur.

DukeDevil
12-17-2018, 07:02 AM
Concur.

Agreed

OldPhiKap
12-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Agreed

In accordance with the above.

Both have been honored appropriately it seems to me.

Now, Duke-Krzyzewski University on the other hand . . . .

Atldukie79
12-17-2018, 07:49 AM
It should remain Cameron Indoor Stadium as long as the building stands.

Continuity, tradition, branding....some of the many reasons to keep it as is.
BTW, no one understands branding better than K. Cameron has a brand that is second to none in basketball.

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-17-2018, 08:20 AM
Mount Rushmore, Cameron Indoor Stadium, and I are all the very same age. None of us need a name change. Although the other two have had face lifts -- just sayin'.
Love, Ima

Indoor66
12-17-2018, 08:23 AM
It should remain Cameron Indoor Stadium as long as the building stands.

Continuity, tradition, branding...some of the many reasons to keep it as is.
BTW, no one understands branding better than K. Cameron has a brand that is second to none in basketball.

I always felt the same about Duke Indoor Stadium back in the 50's and 60's - then they change that....

Frybay
12-17-2018, 08:26 AM
Maybe they should tear Cameron down since it is so old, then build a 10,000 person capacity building and call it THE K CENTER.
No!
The way it is now is the best way to honor K and Cameron!

OldPhiKap
12-17-2018, 08:42 AM
In the mid-80’s there was a proposal to expand Cameron by taking off the room and adding another ring of seats up there IIRC. Thankfully, it was rejected.

Of course, when I was there “air conditioning” in Cameron meant opening the windows up top.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 08:47 AM

not until you shred it first

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 08:48 AM
I always felt the same about Duke Indoor Stadium back in the 50's and 60's - then they change that...

There was very little name equity in the building then....now Cameron Indoor has more name equity than any arena in college basketball......totally diff circumstances

CameronBlue
12-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Now wait, wait, let's not be hasty. I could go for maybe a name change, assuming we clear the decks first, priorities you know. First we need to rename that old broken down ruin in Rome, The Peugeot--Deutsch Bank Colosseum. Then it needs to be remodeled into a multi-use arena for Miley Cyrus concerts and UFC events.

DavidBenAkiva
12-17-2018, 09:02 AM
When I saw the headline, "rename Cameron Indoor Stadium," my initial reaction was "eww, no."

But remembering that it was not originally named CIS and then seeing Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Center (or the C-K Center, for short), I have softened my stance a little.

I would still prefer that it remains as is, though, the Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Indoor66
12-17-2018, 09:04 AM
There was very little name equity in the building then...now Cameron Indoor has more name equity than any arena in college basketball...totally diff circumstances

What the hell is name equity in a basketball arena on a college campus? The name equity is Duke.

budwom
12-17-2018, 09:04 AM
yeah, universities have to maintain their vacuuming of cash, so we'll probably end up with the Womble Towels on the DevilDeac chairs on the OPK sideline near Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
It has a nice ring to it, no?

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 09:08 AM
But remembering that it was not originally named CIS and then seeing Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Center (or the C-K Center, for short), I have softened my stance a little..

With due respect, why would that matter? Back then, there was no ESPN, no social media, and college hoops was a much smaller universe. The name Duke Indoor Stadium carried no real recognition, and only had a reputation among the ACC teams who knew it was a tough building to play in. There was no 'equity cost' to re-naming it then. Now it is up there with Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, The Rose Bowl, and other iconic sports facilities. Even Kansas' Allen Field House doesn't compare with national reputation. Nothing in college hoops does.

Changing it from DIS to CIS back then is nothing at all like changing it now.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 09:11 AM
What the hell is name equity in a basketball arena on a college campus? The name equity is Duke.

Really? I mean, you don't understand the concept? Yes, Duke as a name brings a whole lot of the equity too, but I wouldn't change that name either.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-17-2018, 09:20 AM
In the mid-80’s there was a proposal to expand Cameron by taking off the room and adding another ring of seats up there IIRC. Thankfully, it was rejected.

Of course, when I was there “air conditioning” in Cameron meant opening the windows up top.

Then Michael Jordan came along and reminded us that the ceiling is the roof?

I don't think Cameron should be renamed and I don't think Coach K would want it to be. I don't necessarily think that having the court named after him is sufficient recognition either. Perhaps rename the Chapel to "the Krzyzewski?" :p

Hopefully we won't be worrying about any of this for many years - this really seems like a conversation for June rather than December.

devildeac
12-17-2018, 09:21 AM
yeah, universities have to maintain their vacuuming of cash, so we'll probably end up with the Womble Towels on the DevilDeac chairs on the OPK sideline near Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Now you're talking some sense!

:o:rolleyes:

DavidBenAkiva
12-17-2018, 09:26 AM
With due respect, why would that matter? Back then, there was no ESPN, no social media, and college hoops was a much smaller universe. The name Duke Indoor Stadium carried no real recognition, and only had a reputation among the ACC teams who knew it was a tough building to play in. There was no 'equity cost' to re-naming it then. Now it is up there with Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, The Rose Bowl, and other iconic sports facilities. Even Kansas' Allen Field House doesn't compare with national reputation. Nothing in college hoops does.

Changing it from DIS to CIS back then is nothing at all like changing it now.

I meant to imply that my feelings towards the name change, after reading the article, moved from 100% no to 99% no.

rsvman
12-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Add me to the chorus of people singing a resounding "No!" to the idea of changing the name of Cameron Indoor Stadium. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

thewoosh31
12-17-2018, 10:08 AM
How about K-ameron Indoor Stadium? lol

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
I don't think Cameron should be renamed and I don't think Coach K would want it to be. I don't necessarily think that having the court named after him is sufficient recognition either. Perhaps rename the Chapel to "the Krzyzewski?" :p

Hopefully we won't be worrying about any of this for many years - this really seems like a conversation for June rather than December.

I certainly think there will be other gestures of honor made other than Coach K Court - and I'm fine with that... but the court naming is pretty significant: That K logo is visible for every single TV game...and will be forever.....so that's a nice honor that is going to be seared in everyone's memory. And after all, peoples' memories are what we are talking about here.

And I agree with two of your other points...that K (who instinctively understood the magic of Cameron) wouldn't want the building name changed....and that this is a June thing....not a heart of the season thing.

sagegrouse
12-17-2018, 10:44 AM
How can you mess with a house of worship? Next -- Notre Dame-deGaulle cathedral, Westminster-Princess Di Abbey, St. Peter's-Pope Francis Basilica?

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2018, 10:46 AM
It seems popular these days to rename facilities of many types... reasons range from acknowledging monetary contributions to questionable character of the person whose name was first chosen. Cameron Indoor Stadium is just fine as it is. Eddie Cameron played a huge role in shaping Duke athletics for decades, the very foundation of today's excellence across the board. As time passes and all those who witnessed his legacy are no longer here to remind us, Cameron Indoor Stadium will represent Eddie Cameron's legacy well into future.

BandAlum83
12-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Mount Rushmore, Cameron Indoor Stadium, and I are all the very same age. None of us need a name change. Although the other two have had face lifts -- just sayin'.
Love, Ima

Ima, for historical accuracy I checked. Of course with a board full of Dukies, you knew someone would.

According to Wikipedia, which is always 100% accurate, the inaugural game at CIS was in January of 1940. Mt Rushmore was completed in October of 1941. There was no entry for "Ima Facultiwyfe"

Can you please clear up the confusion?

Devils Librarian
12-17-2018, 11:12 AM
It seems popular these days to rename facilities of many types... reasons range from acknowledging monetary contributions to questionable character of the person whose name was first chosen. Cameron Indoor Stadium is just fine as it is. Eddie Cameron played a huge role in shaping Duke athletics for decades, the very foundation of today's excellence across the board. As time passes and all those who witnessed his legacy are no longer here to remind us, Cameron Indoor Stadium will represent Eddie Cameron's legacy well into future.

No wonder you have so many sporks below your name. A perfect response.

budwom
12-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Would Duke turn down $50 million to turn it into The Miralax Cameron Indoor Stadium?

Reilly
12-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Would Duke turn down $50 million to turn it into The Miralax Cameron Indoor Stadium?

I think when we've already gone from "Trinity" to "Duke" -- that is, gone from the Christian Godhead as one God in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) to successful mechanizers of tobacco products -- anything is on the table.

devilsadvocate85
12-17-2018, 11:44 AM
If/when Duke feels compelled to build a new basketball arena, that would be the appropriate time to name an arena after Coach K. Just my opinion.

tendev
12-17-2018, 12:13 PM
It think it should be Cameronciechowski -Krzyzewski Indoorskaya Stadion. That really rolls off the tongue. Lots of syllabic resonance.

jdk
12-17-2018, 12:19 PM
I think when we've already gone from "Trinity" to "Duke" -- that is, gone from the Christian Godhead as one God in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) to successful mechanizers of tobacco products -- anything is on the table.

Wasn't the original campus in Trinity?

It wouldn't make sense for a school to relocate and then keep the name of the town that it had just left.

Of course, I can't possibly think of any other examples of a school relocating just because a tobacco millionaire wanted a namesake university near his home.

budwom
12-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Wasn't the original campus in Trinity?

It wouldn't make sense for a school to relocate and then keep the name of the town that it had just left.

Of course, I can't possibly think of any other examples of a school relocating just because a tobacco millionaire wanted a namesake university near his home.

Ha ha, The Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation certainly thanks you for remembering its largesse.

DU82
12-17-2018, 12:40 PM
There's other layers/opportunities. Our neighbors in Raleigh recently created Key Yow Court at Jim Valvano Arena at Reynolds Coliseum.

(We do have Vic Bubas Concourse in CIS, right?)

sagegrouse
12-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Moreover, Trinity's athletic teams were known as the "Methodists." We can only speculate about what the rather religious board of trustees thought of the change to "Blue Devils" in 1922 or 1923.

At the 75th anniversary celebration of the Chronicle in 1980, which I attended, one of the speakers was the former editor from the early 1920's, a little man with a white beard, who claimed to be behind the naming of the Blue Devils. The Wikipedia entry for Duke - History of Mascot -- did say that, there was uncertainty of how to get official approval of the new name. The Chronicle and the Chanticleer proceeded to take matters in their own hands and just started using the nickname "Blue Devils."

I also am beginning to wonder if the Blue Devils are truly named for the French Alpine unit from World War I ("les diables bleus"), or whether that was merely a ruse to defuse opposition to a controversial nickname.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'The trip to campus in 1980 was my first, except for one football game, since the mid-1960's. As I walked through the clock tower quad after the Friday evening banquet, there was a fairly raucous party going on with live music. The men were all in "uniform:" gold-toned sport coats with gold shirts, undone ties, and a bottle of Jack Daniels held by the neck. I have no value judgments; I am just reporting, but you know who you are -- or were'

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-17-2018, 01:16 PM
The Sprite/Sheetz/IHOP KAPOW! center sounds nice.

mattman91
12-17-2018, 01:26 PM
The Sprite/Sheetz/IHOP KAPOW! center sounds nice.

Fullsteam Center at Krzyzewski Indoor Stadium

devildeac
12-17-2018, 01:29 PM

I'll Ponysaurus up for that one.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2018, 02:13 PM

If I may add to these comments: It was my understanding that Eddie Cameron was very involved in the design and construction of Indoor Stadium. The seed money came from a Rose Bowl appearance. Wallace Wade, AD at the time in addition to being HC for football, started the ball rolling. Eddie was familiar with trends in such structures at the time. He's given credit for having 19" wide seats rather than 17" wide. When Reynolds Coliseum was created soon after as a competing structure, the smaller seat size was selected along with raising the roof and modifying other factors which differentiate it from Indoor Stadium.

Cameron had more influence than anyone else including the architect in what the new facility was like. Without his vision, Duke basketball would be very, very different. Without the Rose Bowl money and the work of Wallace Wade, another visionary, who knows when an arena would have been built or what it would be like? This all took place between the Great Depression and WWII. Finding money to pay for such structures was a huge challenge.

Eddie Cameron was the AD who negotiated the first TV game at Duke. He used a variety of ways to fill the seats so that the support and interest in Duke basketball could grow.

If a name is to replace the original Indoor Stadium, it's Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Edouble
12-17-2018, 02:16 PM
If I may add to these comments: It was my understanding that Eddie Cameron was very involved in the design and construction of Indoor Stadium. The seed money came from a Rose Bowl appearance. Wallace Wade, AD at the time in addition to being HC for football, started the ball rolling. Eddie was familiar with trends in such structures at the time. He's given credit for having 19" wide seats rather than 17" wide. When Reynolds Coliseum was created soon after as a competing structure, the smaller seat size was selected along with raising the roof and modifying other factors which differentiate it from Indoor Stadium.

Cameron had more influence than anyone else including the architect in what the new facility was like. Without his vision, Duke basketball would be very, very different. Without the Rose Bowl money and the work of Wallace Wade, another visionary, who knows when an arena would have been built or what it would be like? This all took place between the Great Depression and WWII. Finding money to pay for such structures was a huge challenge.

Eddie Cameron was the AD who negotiated the first TV game at Duke. He used a variety of ways to fill the seats so that the support and interest in Duke basketball could grow.

If a name is to replace the original Indoor Stadium, it's Cameron Indoor Stadium.

I'll add that, when constructed, Cameron was considered a behemoth with 9,314 seats and many people were not sure why anyone would want to build such a huge basketball stadium.

I hope that Cameron is never renamed... "Cameron Indoor Stadium", now that really rolls off the tongue. Some things are sacred, and CIS is one of them.

BLPOG
12-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Moreover, Trinity's athletic teams were known as the "Methodists." We can only speculate about what the rather religious board of trustees thought of the change to "Blue Devils" in 1922 or 1923.

At the 75th anniversary celebration of the Chronicle in 1980, which I attended, one of the speakers was the former editor from the early 1920's, a little man with a white beard, who claimed to be behind the naming of the Blue Devils. The Wikipedia entry for Duke - History of Mascot -- did say that, there was uncertainty of how to get official approval of the new name. The Chronicle and the Chanticleer proceeded to take matters in their own hands and just started using the nickname "Blue Devils."

I also am beginning to wonder if the Blue Devils are truly named for the French Alpine unit from World War I ("les diables bleus"), or whether that was merely a ruse to defuse opposition to a controversial nickname.

I looked into it over ten years ago and my understanding is that there was exactly zero controversy regarding religious connotations of "devils."

I am not sure how to substantiate that though, since it's a bit like proving a negative.

Lar77
12-17-2018, 03:11 PM

Yipes!!!! You mean that my wide bottom might have fit even worse!!!!

Thank you for this history.

Sir Stealth
12-17-2018, 03:16 PM
I'm dismayed that anyone with a far reaching platform representing Duke fans would ever advocate doing this. Since Coach K himself is on the record as not wanting it, who's it for? The name "Cameron" is iconic in a way few stadium names still are, and changing the name would diminish the venue and Duke basketball. This was the whole point of naming Coach K Court.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 03:16 PM
I'll add that, when constructed, Cameron was considered a behemoth with 9,314 seats and many people were not sure why anyone would want to build such a huge basketball stadium.

I hope that Cameron is never renamed... "Cameron Indoor Stadium", now that really rolls off the tongue. Some things are sacred, and CIS is one of them.

True, but I believe the original seating was 8,800.

DukieInKansas
12-17-2018, 03:19 PM

It originally only had 8,800 seats plus standing room fo an additional 700 on a busy day.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 03:36 PM
It originally only had 8,800 seats plus standing room fo an additional 700 on a busy day.

Which was interesting, because 8800 was exactly the listed capacity of Carmichael Auditorium in Chapel Hill. The urban legend I heard is that Duke got the fire marshal to tell them precisely what the capacity could be, to the person, and that's where 9314 came from. I'm sure some around DBR can either confirm or deny that - I certainly don't know if that's the case. And I think that happened shortly before the Heels opened the Dean's Myth Center.

UPDATE: just Googled...apparently there is some validity to what I just said....https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/09/cameron-indoor-stadiums-official-capacity-to-stay-at-9314-despite-crows-nest-renovation
The jump to 9314 came shortly after opening the Myth Center....and was done in concert with Fire Marshals.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Which was interesting, because 8800 was exactly the listed capacity of Carmichael Auditorium in Chapel Hill. The urban legend I heard is that Duke got the fire marshal to tell them precisely what the capacity could be, to the person, and that's where 9314 came from. I'm sure some around DBR can either confirm or deny that - I certainly don't know if that's the case. And I think that happened shortly before the Heels opened the Dean's Myth Center.

UPDATE: just Googled...apparently there is some validity to what I just said....

The larger number does include a "standing room" count which would not be allowed today.

Pghdukie
12-17-2018, 04:23 PM
I'm very happy with "K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium ". But who I'm I !

fuse
12-17-2018, 04:34 PM

This post gets all the sporks...

fuse
12-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Rename the facility? Maybe when K retires in 15 or 20 years, but not before then!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

I can’t spork Ozzie4Duke, so I’ll just say a very public “thank you”. I thought the last two threads I teed up were high risk. You, sir, have raised the bar. Well played.

Tripping William
12-17-2018, 04:41 PM

I'll Ponysaurus up for that one.

This post gets all the sporks...

Can I at least get the Tripping Billies Tap Room?

devildeac
12-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Can I at least get the Tripping Billies Tap Room?

Yours! (for a small fee...)

sagegrouse
12-17-2018, 04:54 PM

DitBD: I went to an number of games at the Palestra when my daughter was a cheerleader at UPenn. The interior is almost exactly like CIS pre-renovation, when we added all the fancy woodwork. The Palestra opened on January 1, 1927; Charles Klauder is the listed architect. The Palestra was a marvel at the time of its construction, by far the largest arena (cap. then 10,000) anywhere.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2018, 05:06 PM
DitBD: I went to an number of games at the Palestra when my daughter was a cheerleader at UPenn. The interior is almost exactly like CIS pre-renovation, when we added all the fancy woodwork. The Palestra opened on January 1, 1927; Charles Klauder is the listed architect. The Palestra was a marvel at the time of its construction, by far the largest arena (cap. then 10,000) anywhere.

Yes, indeed! The Palestra was a major inspiration for Indoor Stadium. Duke Indoor Stadium was long touted as the largest indoor arena south of the Palestra.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2018, 05:19 PM

I just want the OPK Concession Stands, featuring the devildeac "Cameron Crafts" of the match for hoops and the "Wallace Wade Weekend Whitbier, Weissbier and Weizenboch Whistle-Wetters" during football season.

Can I get a Duke student to start a GoFundMe for this?

plimnko
12-17-2018, 05:24 PM
just leave well enough alone!!!!

quahog174
12-17-2018, 05:35 PM
The simple solution is to annex the land that Cameron sits on and rename it Cameron Indoor Stadium at Krzyzewskiville.

devildeac
12-17-2018, 05:37 PM
I just want the OPK Concession Stands, featuring the devildeac "Cameron Crafts" of the match for hoops and the "Wallace Wade Weekend Whitbier, Weissbier and Weizenboch Whistle-Wetters" during football season.

Why, winter warmers would work wonders with Wallace Wade cwaft bwews!

(sowwy, I got despawate neaw the end of the sentence :o)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 05:37 PM

Great old arena indeed.....home of "The Big Five" if my PA memory is correct.

-jk
12-17-2018, 06:01 PM

Twue Wuv!

-jk

rasputin
12-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Twue Wuv!

-jk

An described by the Impwessive Cwergyman.

MarkD83
12-17-2018, 06:05 PM
What is the name of the basketball practice facility that is adjacent to CIS? Would it be more appropriate to name that building after Coach K?

-jk
12-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Great old arena indeed....home of "The Big Five" if my PA memory is correct.

Great gym. Saw us play (I think) St Joe's there.

Uncomfortable seats...

-jk

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 06:09 PM

Uncomfortable seats...

-jk

A great gym has uncomfortable seats....gets people standing.....better crowd.....:cool:

dukelifer
12-17-2018, 06:42 PM
What is the name of the basketball practice facility that is adjacent to CIS? Would it be more appropriate to name that building after Coach K?

Isn't already?

http://www.irondukes.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5100&ATCLID=227365

TKG
12-17-2018, 06:45 PM

Uncomfortable seats...

-jk

If Amaker was the point guard, I was at that game as well. The guy in front of me kept calling calling him Tony Amaker.

Indoor66
12-17-2018, 06:53 PM

Too many samples....

DU82
12-17-2018, 07:46 PM

UPDATE: just Googled...apparently there is some validity to what I just said...https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/09/cameron-indoor-stadiums-official-capacity-to-stay-at-9314-despite-crows-nest-renovation
The jump to 9314 came shortly after opening the Myth Center...and was done in concert with Fire Marshals.

Wikipedia doesn’t tell the entire story.

In the ‘70s, somebody in the athletic department decided to actually count the seats, both upstairs and down. (I believe this was associated with new bleachers installed at that time, and selling those tickets for holiday games.). The count was 8564.

During the 1986 renovations, they replaced the bleachers with the current setup, lowering the bleacher rise which added 750 “seats” in the bleachers. This raised the capacity to 9314. They’ve kept this number even with other changes, such as the radio booths, or adding aisles or changing the end zones. That’s when grad students were moved from the upstairs corner down to the floor, and provided 750 extra season tickets to sell.

(The 1986 bleacher change also allowed patrons in row A to see the court, instead of the heads of students directly in front of them!)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 08:20 PM

In the ‘70s, somebody in the athletic department decided to actually count the seats, both upstairs and down. (I believe this was associated with new bleachers installed at that time, and selling those tickets for holiday games.). The count was 8564.

During the 1986 renovations, they replaced the bleachers with the current setup, lowering the bleacher rise which added 750 “seats” in the bleachers. This raised the capacity to 9314. They’ve kept this number even with other changes, such as the radio booths, or adding aisles or changing the end zones. That’s when grad students were moved from the upstairs corner down to the floor, and provided 750 extra season tickets to sell.

(The 1986 bleacher change also allowed patrons in row A to see the court, instead of the heads of students directly in front of them!)

Well I didn't get my info from Wiki...but thanks for that history. Interesting. I believe in the 70s and much of the 80s they announced 8800 for home games.

DU82
12-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Well I didn't get my info from Wiki...but thanks for that history. Interesting. I believe in the 70s and much of the 80s they announced 8800 for home games.

Sorry, saw urban legend, and for some reason my brain translated it as Wiki. :rolleyes:

The NCAA records indicate an average of 8564 for the years that were sellouts. Specifically, 1980, 1986 and 1988. ( the other years’ numbers were less, so actually reporting real attendance numbers it seems, even in 1987, when I guess some holiday games were not sellouts.). Pretty clear the more accurate numbers were before that.

(One correction to my previous post - the renovations were done before the 1988-89 season, not after the 1985-86 season. Al McGuire mentioned them on a broadcast in 1986 (although no stained glass windows appeared) but it took longer to get the final plans done. 1988 matches the NCAA attendance records and my memory of the change to 9314. I’m pretty sure the 1987 date in the Chronicle article is wrong.)

msdukie
12-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Agreed.

msdukie
12-17-2018, 10:26 PM
Sorry, saw urban legend, and for some reason my brain translated it as Wiki. :rolleyes:

The NCAA records indicate an average of 8564 for the years that were sellouts. Specifically, 1980, 1986 and 1988. ( the other years’ numbers were less, so actually reporting real attendance numbers it seems, even in 1987, when I guess some holiday games were not sellouts.). Pretty clear the more accurate numbers were before that.

(One correction to my previous post - the renovations were done before the 1988-89 season, not after the 1985-86 season. Al McGuire mentioned them on a broadcast in 1986 (although no stained glass windows appeared) but it took longer to get the final plans done. 1988 matches the NCAA attendance records and my memory of the change to 9314. I’m pretty sure the 1987 date in the Chronicle article is wrong.)

I believe the renovations occurred over 2 summers - 1987 and 1988.

gep
12-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Put me down on the side for "NO CHANGE TO CIS NAME". CIS honors Eddie Cameron... who, at that time, represented major upgrades to basketball and Duke sports. Coach K has the court named for him. As another poster says, the "Coach K" logo shows up on EVERY basketball TV broadcast... not as much as "Cameron Indoor Stadium" if not for the floor cameras and occasional pan through the court. And as another poster suggested, I would go with "Cameron Indoor Stadium with Coach K court at Krzyzewskiville". :cool:

JetpackJesus
12-18-2018, 12:41 AM

I assume Room is a typo. I think you meant ceiling.

OldPhiKap
12-18-2018, 07:30 AM
I assume Room is a typo. I think you meant ceiling.

Correct, roof.

devildeac
12-18-2018, 07:38 AM
Correct, roof.

There ya' go, changing the topic to football again.

:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
12-18-2018, 07:41 AM

Yeah, the Roof was the floor.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-18-2018, 08:10 AM
I feel left out. :(

weezie
12-18-2018, 08:15 AM
I feel left out. :(

Yeah, me too! Just wait till the weezie scoreboard starts showing time outs remaining! Talk about public service!

budwom
12-18-2018, 08:23 AM
Ozzie doesn't make it because he was once trying for the AD job (do you think I jest?) and there's probably a conflict there.
Weezie is a Tigers fan and we fear for her mental health right about now...

OZZIE4DUKE
12-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Correct, roof.

Yeah, the Roof was the floor.
No, the Roof was the football coach. Or so he claimed. What he coached could hardly be called football. LGD GTHc!

Btw, I see the Curt Roper has been hired by NCSU as their quarterback coach. Maybe he’ll hire his little brother as an assistant? One can only hope.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-18-2018, 08:43 AM
Ozzie doesn't make it because he was once trying for the AD job (do you think I jest?) and there's probably a conflict there.
Weezie is a Tigers fan and we fear for her mental health right about now...
Apply I did! And to think I lost out to Joe Aleva. smh

devildeac
12-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Yeah, the Roof was the sub-basement.

As the young-ins say: FIFY.

;)

devildeac
12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Apply I did! And to think I lost out to Joe Aleva. smh

I don't recall you having your boating license at the time of your application...

:p

chainsaw
12-18-2018, 10:34 AM

I can't remember if it was work-study or through Coach D'Armi's connection to the Marine-option NROTC, but I remember using a rag to rub stain into the freshly-routed numbers in those wood bleachers in the 86/87 timeframe (edited - I also thought it was more like 87/88 now that I see another post on that). My small contribution to CIS's glory.

One of the best perks of being a Marine-option at Duke in the late 80s was that we got to pull "security" at Cameron. Show up about 30 mins prior to the doors opening, put on a red T-Shirt that said "Security" across the front, and then patrol the concourse for the event. 2 lucky guys were posted at opposite corners of the court (literally sitting on the floor) to make sure no spectators got on the court.

Indoor66
12-18-2018, 11:51 AM
and then patrol the concourse for the event. 2 lucky guys were posted at opposite corners of the court (literally sitting on the floor) to make sure no spectators got on the court.

I did that job in the early 60's. We held a rope that was raised at halftime to keep fans away from players heading to the dressing rooms.

budwom
12-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Consider Duke and CIS to be like politicians, all reasonable offers will be considered. More than reasonable offers will be given extra consideration, of course.

OldPhiKap
12-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Consider Duke and CIS to be like politicians, all reasonable offers will be considered. More than reasonable offers will be given extra consideration, of course.

Reasonable is not really in my wheelhouse unfortunately.

arnie
12-18-2018, 05:41 PM

Let’s just hope a Cheats booster doesn’t win the lottery and turn it over to Duke for naming rights. Ole Roy’s Shrine won’t work for me.

lotusland
12-18-2018, 09:20 PM
How can you mess with a house of worship? Next -- Notre Dame-deGaulle cathedral, Westminster-Princess Di Abbey, St. Peter's-Pope Francis Basilica?

Did you forget Heritage USA?