PDA

View Full Version : I'd forgotten all about that guy

rocketeli
12-14-2018, 07:26 PM
...Jordan Tucker, until I saw the post on the main page. Seems like a nice enough kid, who, reading between the lines, got into some off court issues and decided to make a fresh start elsewhere where he could get more playing time. Best of luck to him.

Also, since many Duke fans freak the you-know-what out when ever a Duke player transfers they might want to know that while we weren't paying attention, already in the 2018-19 season, according to verbalcommits.com Elijah Burns transferred from Notre Dame, Timmel Eggleston transferred from Wake Forest, Matt Hanna transferred from Louisville, Peace Ilegomah transferred from Pitt, Anthony Oliver II transferred from Clemson, and Ian Steere transferred from NCSU.

Since people started tracking transfers more seriously, BTW, the numbers are pretty constant each year: 2015 831, 2016 800, 2017 895, 2018 875, 800+ out of about 4700 DI players transfer each year. Point being, transfers are not unique to Duke, nor does Duke have any exceptional numbers of transfers (I did a whole breakdown on that last year as well.)

Edouble
12-15-2018, 03:09 PM
...Jordan Tucker, until I saw the post on the main page. Seems like a nice enough kid, who, reading between the lines, got into some off court issues and decided to make a fresh start elsewhere where he could get more playing time. Best of luck to him.

Also, since many Duke fans freak the you-know-what out when ever a Duke player transfers they might want to know that while we weren't paying attention, already in the 2018-19 season, according to verbalcommits.com Elijah Burns transferred from Notre Dame, Timmel Eggleston transferred from Wake Forest, Matt Hanna transferred from Louisville, Peace Ilegomah transferred from Pitt, Anthony Oliver II transferred from Clemson, and Ian Steere transferred from NCSU.

Since people started tracking transfers more seriously, BTW, the numbers are pretty constant each year: 2015 831, 2016 800, 2017 895, 2018 875, 800+ out of about 4700 DI players transfer each year. Point being, transfers are not unique to Duke, nor does Duke have any exceptional numbers of transfers (I did a whole breakdown on that last year as well.)

I doubt more than a handful of Duke fans freaked out at Jordan Tucker transferring.

sagegrouse
12-15-2018, 05:20 PM
I doubt more than a handful of Duke fans freaked out at Jordan Tucker transferring.

Yep. It was obvious he wasn't ready to play big-time college hoops. Interesting implication in the story that he had trouble (a) showing up on time and (b) following orders (presumably on the court and during practice). He admits he wasn't ready for Duke.

MChambers
12-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Played 8 minutes today, 3 points, 1 rebound.

johnb
12-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Tucker may have not been mature or coachable or whatever, but he did choose Butler, which doesn’t strike me as a program devoid of rules.

I went in a different direction. ESPN had Tucker as the #44 hs recruit (which the article indicates would make him the highest-ranked recruit in Butler’s history), though 247 ranked him #82.

I’d guess that he saw that he’d continue to be behind O’Connell in the “reserve wing” category, which was where he was when he decided to leave. This might well last for 4 years—he’d recognize that O’Connell is very good. Tucker would also see that O’Connell, himself, will likely be playing behind a different future NBA starter each year. Being in the rotation might well be terrific for O’Connell, but, if I saw myself as one of the 50 best hs players in the country and was being shown every day in practice that I’m never likely to get quality minutes at Duke... well, I’d probably transfer as well.

wncgrad
12-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Thanks for data.

In this one and done era I see references to Frank Jackson from time to time. Refresh my memory about who he is.

MCFinARL
12-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Yep. It was obvious he wasn't ready to play big-time college hoops. Interesting implication in the story that he had trouble (a) showing up on time and (b) following orders (presumably on the court and during practice). He admits he wasn't ready for Duke.

What am I missing? I couldn't find an implication in either the home page story or the linked story about Tucker's behavior.

EDIT: I may have answered my own question--the link now leads to a later story about the game, but by Googling I found a column from the same source about Tucker specifically.

So never mind.

Furniture
12-17-2018, 09:17 PM
I think it would be interesting to have a thread about Duke transfers. From time to time I look them up to see how are the are doing. Take Derryck Thornton for instance. It doesn’t seem that he is progressing much to be honest. I wonder, if he would have done better staying at Duke?
Perhaps the only transfer that has done well in my time in being a Duke fan is Semi.

DUKIE V(A)
12-17-2018, 10:50 PM
I think it would be interesting to have a thread about Duke transfers. From time to time I look them up to see how are the are doing. Take Derryck Thornton for instance. It doesn’t seem that he is progressing much to be honest. I wonder, if he would have done better staying at Duke?
Perhaps the only transfer that has done well in my time in being a Duke fan is Semi.

I would add Silent G to the list. Also, not sure if Billy McCaffrey falls within your period of fandom, but he was SEC Co-Player of the Year at Vandy. There have been others that have been very solid and made all conference at mid-major programs, but those two and Semi stand out to me.

rocketeli
12-18-2018, 07:17 AM
I would add Silent G to the list. Also, not sure if Billy McCaffrey falls within your period of fandom, but he was SEC Co-Player of the Year at Vandy. There have been others that have been very solid and made all conference at mid-major programs, but those two and Semi stand out to me.

Semi was one that got away. McCaffrey was a very talented wing who didn't want to play behind Grant Hill. Of course, in a weird never to be repeated occurrence Hill hurt his ankle later that year and we really could have used McCaffrey. I always felt that Gbinije's career at Syracuse was no different that what he would have had a Duke; he was initially a little used bench player there who developed into a solid, if unspectacular starter, but of course, there isn't any way to know.

jaytoc
12-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Semi was one that got away. McCaffrey was a very talented wing who didn't want to play behind Grant Hill. Of course, in a weird never to be repeated occurrence Hill hurt his ankle later that year and we really could have used McCaffrey. I always felt that Gbinije's career at Syracuse was no different that what he would have had a Duke; he was initially a little used bench player there who developed into a solid, if unspectacular starter, but of course, there isn't any way to know.

As I recall it, McCaffrey and his family believed his best chance to make it to the next level was as a point guard. It was his classmate Hurley, rather than Hill, who stood in his way at Duke (although Hill did have to play the point eventually). Billy did excel at Vanderbilt at point, I believe, but I don't recall him making any kind of splash in the League. Really good contributor on the 91 team.

YmoBeThere
12-18-2018, 07:32 AM
McCaffrey was a very talented wing who didn't want to play behind Grant Hill.

Huh? 6'3" 170 lb Billy was competing with Grant for minutes? Billy was a 2 who wanted more time at the point or maybe more appropriately being the primary ball handler. So, the conflict was more with Bobby not Grant. Sorry to repeat jaytoc, your post didn't show up in my feed until after I posted. You are correct...

Spanarkel
12-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Chase Jeter is having a solid season so far at 'Zona with per 40 numbers of 18.8 and 11.6, not to mention .650 FG%.

jv001
12-18-2018, 08:05 AM
As I recall it, McCaffrey and his family believed his best chance to make it to the next level was as a point guard. It was his classmate Hurley, rather than Hill, who stood in his way at Duke (although Hill did have to play the point eventually). Billy did excel at Vanderbilt at point, I believe, but I don't recall him making any kind of splash in the League. Really good contributor on the 91 team.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. It was Billy's family that wanted him to transfer so he could be the primary ball handler. He went on to have a very good career at Vanderbilt. Like all SEC? But he missed out on a 2nd NCAAT Championship. GoDuke!

weezie
12-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Chase Jeter is having a solid season so far at 'Zona with per 40 numbers of 18.8 and 11.6, not to mention .650 FG%.

Plus he's sporting some weird shorts. Saw them again during their most recent game. One leg high, one low-ish.

But good for him. It's probably not the best atmosphere with the shadow somewhat hanging still over the program but he's giving it his all.

MCFinARL
12-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Jamal Boykin had a pretty respectable career at Cal after transferring, as did Elliot Williams at Memphis. Williams, of course, had family reasons for transferring that didn't relate to playing time.

sagegrouse
12-18-2018, 11:12 AM

I blame Dick Vitale. Wasn't he the one that started the talk about McCaffrey's transferring in order to play the point?

niveklaen
12-18-2018, 11:37 AM
several of our title teams had players transfer from the previous year and blow up at their new school - McAffrey (sp???) prior to the 92 title, Elliot Williams prior to 2010, and silent G (and to a lesser extent Semi) prior to 2015 - each ended up being solid starters and 15+ppg scorers at their new schools and there were fans who lamented that the loss of each doomed the team to failure before each team won its title...

the one transfer who may have actually had that impact was, imho, Mike Chappell - who could have given us a tad more quality depth in '99... though admittedly he never really blossomed at Mich St

wsb3
12-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. It was Billy's family that wanted him to transfer so he could be the primary ball handler. He went on to have a very good career at Vanderbilt. Like all SEC? But he missed out on a 2nd NCAAT Championship. GoDuke!

If my fleeting memory serves me correctly he visited the same weekend with Hurley on their recruiting visit & both pretty quickly decided to come soon after? If I have that right he knew all along that he was not going to play PG.

The family lived briefly in my area of the state & the boys played in the league I coached in for 20 years. We played by a draft system but his Dad as the story goes insisted he play for one particular coach & would not allow him to play elsewhere.

Truth&Justise
12-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Plus he's sporting some weird shorts. Saw them again during their most recent game. One leg high, one low-ish.

But good for him. It's probably not the best atmosphere with the shadow somewhat hanging still over the program but he's giving it his all.

Saw that too, it looks funny. Raised enough attention that someone asked him about it. His response?

"I have no reason, I just kind of do it, it's just my thing. (https://twitter.com/JustinESports/status/1061774688643248128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1061774688643248128&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftucson.com%2Fwhy-does-chase-jeter-roll-up-his-shorts-only-on%2Farticle_c50c20c2-e61b-11e8-b307-5734f583d62a.html)"

JasonEvans
12-18-2018, 12:27 PM
the one transfer who may have actually had that impact was, imho, Mike Chappell - who could have given us a tad more quality depth in '99... though admittedly he never really blossomed at Mich St

Ummm, that 1999 team had good depth. I'm not sure how much Chappell would have played on it (which is one reason he transferred). The starters were Avery, Langdon, CWell, Battier, and Brand. Maggette, Nate, and Burgess were the top subs. I guess Chappell could have been the 9th man ahead of Taymon Domzalski (Virginia would have built a statue to him, according to Pete Gillen) but I have a hard time seeing him getting huge minutes on that team. Maggette was going to be the primary wing sub and we had plenty of outside shooting with Trajan and Avery and a couple other guys.

weezie
12-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Saw that too, it looks funny. Raised enough attention that someone asked him about it. His response?

"I have no reason, I just kind of do it, it's just my thing. (https://twitter.com/JustinESports/status/1061774688643248128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1061774688643248128&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftucson.com%2Fwhy-does-chase-jeter-roll-up-his-shorts-only-on%2Farticle_c50c20c2-e61b-11e8-b307-5734f583d62a.html)"

See "head scratching" emoji.

lotusland
12-18-2018, 09:11 PM
I know Olek didn’t really show that he deserved more PT or should have stayed but it’s hard to argue that transferring wasn’t the right choice for him

At Duke: An athletic 6-8 forward from Poland, Czyz played sparingly as a freshman, seeing the court in just 16 games and scoring eight points. After playing six games as a sophomore, he decided to transfer, eventually landing at Nevada.

After Duke: Czyz averaged double figures in each of his two seasons with the Wolf Pack, earning All-WAC first team honors and leading the team to a league title as a senior. He played in the NBA summer league and the NBADL before embarking on a pro career that’s seen him play in Italy and Turkey.

https://www.fayobserver.com/article/20160411/Blogs/304119874

jimsumner
12-18-2018, 11:37 PM
Mike Chappell certainly didn't think he could have played on that 1999 team.

That's why he transferred.

Billy McCaffrey?

Remember older brother Ed had just been drafted in the 1991 NFL draft. The pros were very much on the McCaffrey family's mind. K offered Billy a chance to redshirt in 1992, which would have given him a year-1994--without Hurley. That team ended up in the title game. Imagine McCaffrey as a redshirt senior.

McCaffrey was very, very good at Vandy. SEC co-player of the year in 1993--with Jamal Mashburn. But he never played in the NBA.

Czyz? Keep in mind that he would have been a senior in 2012, a season in which Duke did not really have a small forward.

Let me add Michael Thompson to the could-have-helped list. He could have come in handy in that '04 loss to UConn.

KandG
12-19-2018, 12:14 AM
Wow, this thread brings up memories I didn't expect, given it's about transfers.

Elliot Williams to me was the one that got away -- understandable why he transferred, but I thought he was really solid as a freshman and looked forward to watching him grow at Duke.

I'll always remember McCaffrey fondly because he was an unusual transfer -- scoring 16 points in the championship game on 6 for 8 shooting off the bench to play a massive role in winning K's first ring, then transferring. (I was at the game, and the crowd anticipation every time he rose to take a shot was "nothing but net" -- quite the shooting performance). Even though he was outstanding at Vandy, I never got the impression he was going to be able to make an impact in the pros with his skillset, whether at PG or as a SG.

Semi, as others have pointed out, was someone who grew beyond my expectations. I expected more from Thornton, frankly, than what he's shown so far.

cato
12-19-2018, 12:16 AM
Let me add Michael Thompson to the could-have-helped list. He could have come in handy in that '04 loss to UConn.

Let you not, sir. It still stings, ‘99 and then ‘04.

niveklaen
12-19-2018, 12:22 AM
Ummm, that 1999 team had good depth. I'm not sure how much Chappell would have played on it (which is one reason he transferred). The starters were Avery, Langdon, CWell, Battier, and Brand. Maggette, Nate, and Burgess were the top subs. I guess Chappell could have been the 9th man ahead of Taymon Domzalski (Virginia would have built a statue to him, according to Pete Gillen) but I have a hard time seeing him getting huge minutes on that team. Maggette was going to be the primary wing sub and we had plenty of outside shooting with Trajan and Avery and a couple other guys.

I had misremembered about Nate James - I thought that he had a medical redshirt in 99, but he redshirted in 98 and played 14mpg in 99 - with him in the fold they did not need/would not have really used Mike much. I was misremembering that Maggette effectively subbed for 3 guys all by himself...

JasonEvans
12-19-2018, 08:07 AM

5 more fouls at center would have been maybe an extra 2 minutes that Duke would have had someone over 6-6 on the floor to challenge Okafor. Then again, an extra 2 minutes might have been enough for us to hold on and win.

--Jason "https://atouchofcass.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/refs2.jpg?w=529" Evans

Billy Dat
02-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Big Jordan Tucker profile in the Athletic ($)
https://theathletic.com/800020/2019/02/08/jordan-tucker-left-his-dream-school-to-find-what-he-was-looking-for-at-butler/

He's cracked the starting line-up at Butler...good for him! He says that his Dad basically forced him to leave Duke because he could see that writing on the wall with Reddish and RJ coming in...once Zion was still a possibility, he told Jordan he needed to leave. Jordan didn't want to be seen as a quitter, but has huge faith in his father's judgement and it has worked out well for him.

brlftz
02-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Let you not, sir. It still stings, ‘99 and then ‘04.

'04 then '99 for me. At least in '99 I felt like we lost fair and square. '04 we were absolutely robbed, maybe the biggest shaft job by the refs ever, and no one will ever talk about it because it was us.

UrinalCake
02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
He says that his Dad basically forced him to leave Duke because he could see that writing on the wall with Reddish and RJ coming in...once Zion was still a possibility, he told Jordan he needed to leave. Jordan didn't want to be seen as a quitter, but has huge faith in his father's judgement and it has worked out well for him.

His dad was 100% correct with regards to his chances for playing time. But I'm kind of surprised he didn't realize this before committing to Duke in the first place. Every year we're going after numerous 5-star players, he had to know when he committed that he was going to have plenty of competition every year. Maybe he thought he would fill Alex O'Connell's current role (which is what I thought coming into last season).

Anyways, glad things are working out for him.

mattman91
02-08-2019, 12:11 PM
His dad was 100% correct with regards to his chances for playing time. But I'm kind of surprised he didn't realize this before committing to Duke in the first place. Every year we're going after numerous 5-star players, he had to know when he committed that he was going to have plenty of competition every year. Maybe he thought he would fill Alex O'Connell's current role (which is what I thought coming into last season).

yep, he could have certainly had a decent role on this year's squad and a great chance at becoming a starter next year.

Glad things are working out for him.

Troublemaker
02-08-2019, 12:43 PM

I think he was just such a huge Duke fan and was able to sell himself on it working out; he waited a loonnng time for Duke to offer.

Glad he was able to live the dream at least for a little while.

CDu
02-08-2019, 01:50 PM
5 more fouls at center would have been maybe an extra 2 minutes that Duke would have had someone over 6-6 on the floor to challenge Okafor. Then again, an extra 2 minutes might have been enough for us to hold on and win.

To this day, I don't know why Coach K didn't put Luol Deng on Okafor for a few minutes. I think that alone might have been enough to get us to the title game. Oh well.

Not Coach K's finest coaching effort. Still grinds my gears that we fell short.

UrinalCake
02-08-2019, 03:08 PM
I think he was just such a huge Duke fan and was able to sell himself on it working out; he waited a loonnng time for Duke to offer.

IIRC he was though to be a heavy Syracuse lean until we missed on Kevin Knox and then we offered him as a fallback plan and he accepted. So yeah, your reasoning makes sense. He is definitely not Kevin Knox though.

ChillinDuke
02-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Big Jordan Tucker profile in the Athletic ($)
https://theathletic.com/800020/2019/02/08/jordan-tucker-left-his-dream-school-to-find-what-he-was-looking-for-at-butler/

He's cracked the starting line-up at Butler...good for him! He says that his Dad basically forced him to leave Duke because he could see that writing on the wall with Reddish and RJ coming in...once Zion was still a possibility, he told Jordan he needed to leave. Jordan didn't want to be seen as a quitter, but has huge faith in his father's judgement and it has worked out well for him.

I'm glad it's working out for Jordan. I certainly harbor no ill will to the kid.

Nonetheless, I always find these situations funny. You know you are ranked relatively low for a school like Duke. You know Duke is going to recruit the best of the best. You know competition is going to be fierce. And you know that, generally speaking, Duke will have your back through it all. So you decide to come to Duke.

Then, as a freshman that can't crack the rotation let alone the starting lineup, you [your family] decide that next season's crop of top-flight OADs is enough to transfer.

To each his own, of course. And again, no ill will at all to Jordan. But these sorts of decisions strike me as so self unaware. But it's his choice, and it's working, so all the best to him.

- Chillin

dukelifer
02-08-2019, 03:14 PM
I'm glad it's working out for Jordan. I certainly harbor no ill will to the kid.

Nonetheless, I always find these situations funny. You know you are ranked relatively low for a school like Duke. You know Duke is going to recruit the best of the best. You know competition is going to be fierce. And you know that, generally speaking, Duke will have your back through it all. So you decide to come to Duke.

Then, as a freshman that can't crack the rotation let alone the starting lineup, you [your family] decide that next season's crop of top-flight OADs is enough to transfer.

To each his own, of course. And again, no ill will at all to Jordan. But these sorts of decisions strike me as so self unaware. But it's his choice, and it's working, so all the best to him.

- Chillin

On the offensive end, he is a three point specialist for Butler- a decent (37%) but not a great shooter.

Hingeknocker
02-08-2019, 03:14 PM
'04 then '99 for me. At least in '99 I felt like we lost fair and square. '04 we were absolutely robbed, maybe the biggest shaft job by the refs ever, and no one will ever talk about it because it was us.

2004 was my freshman year. That night was the very first time in my entire life that I decided, "I don't like what just happened and therefore I'm going to get very, very drunk." At least I'll always have that.

As for Jordan Tucker, I'm very happy for his success. There are a million reasons why any college student, much less a basketball player, might want to move on to a new opportunity. It's nice to hear from him, and I wish him all the best.

duke79
02-08-2019, 03:21 PM

- Chillin

Totally agree with you here! It DOES seem somewhat crazy to me. Furthermore, you're giving up a free ride to Duke University and you could have told people for the rest of your life that you played on the Duke basketball team (even if you rode the bench for four years). That statement alone (never mind having a Duke degree on your resume) will go a long way in the "real world" to open doors for you. It's not as if he is going to become a superstar basketball player at Butler and go on to have a successful career as a professional basketball player. But, admittedly, it IS HIS decision and not mine.

JasonEvans
02-08-2019, 04:07 PM
you could have told people for the rest of your life that you played on the Duke basketball team (even if you rode the bench for four years). That statement alone (never mind having a Duke degree on your resume) will go a long way in the "real world" to open doors for you.

He can still say he played for the Duke basketball team. "I was teammates with Wendell, Marvin, and Grayson" is probably a "rest of your life" kind of story.

It's not as if he is going to become a superstar basketball player at Butler and go on to have a successful career as a professional basketball player.

Ummm, how do you know? It is not at all unlikely that Jordan will develop into a very nice player who ends up making a lucrative career out of pro basketball (perhaps in the US or perhaps overseas). He is having a really nice season thus far for Butler playing against legit competition (the Big East is the 5th best league in the land). He is only a soph and has 2 more years to become a "superstar" and eventually realize a pro dream. There have been faaaaar less likely success stories than a 6-6 top 50 kid with a great outside shot turning into a legit pro prospect.

revmel53
02-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Who was the basketball player who cycled the country this past summer for charity? How did it end up? And what is he doing now?
Thanks, Dave

CDu
02-09-2019, 08:33 AM
Who was the basketball player who cycled the country this past summer for charity? How did it end up? And what is he doing now?
Thanks, Dave

Brennan Besser. He is still at Duke on the bench as a walk-on.

Rich
02-09-2019, 09:02 AM
IIRC he was though to be a heavy Syracuse lean until we missed on Kevin Knox and then we offered him as a fallback plan and he accepted. So yeah, your reasoning makes sense. He is definitely not Kevin Knox though.

That's right. My brother-in-law, an avid Syracuse fan, lamented at the time that we plucked Tucker from them, that he would never see court time at Duke, and would end up transferring. Gotta give him credit.