PDA

View Full Version : Head Line Monitor, Duke, UVa, and UMBC

fuse
12-14-2018, 06:53 PM
I guess either I am too old or just don’t have a good sense of humour any longer.

Duke’s Head Line Monitor has started a gofundme page to get a UMBC player in the stands for the Duke game at UVa.

Seems like a youthful confluence of bad judgment and poor taste.

Am I way off base?

devildeac
12-14-2018, 06:58 PM
I guess either I am too old or just don’t have a good sense of humour any longer.

Duke’s Head Line Monitor has started a gofundme page to get a UMBC player in the stands for the Duke game at UVa.

Am I way off base?

Risky business.

We could lose, then they could return the "favor" with a Lehigh and/or Mercer mascot/player when we travel to Hooville on 2/9. And beat us again.

-jk
12-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Love it!

We drive from DC all the time! Happy to help.

-jk

fuse
12-14-2018, 07:00 PM
I may have the location wrong- Cameron instead of JPJ.

devildeac
12-14-2018, 07:03 PM
I may have the location wrong- Cameron instead of JPJ.

You may not. I may have read your post too quickly and incorrectly. Wouldn't be the first time :o.

devilirium
12-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Risky business.

We could lose, then they could return the "favor" with a Lehigh and/or Mercer mascot/player when we travel to Hooville on 2/9. And beat us again.

Yeah, not a good idea. Flat out bizarre. I would guess that the UVA kids would let Duke fall on their own sword for that (though I get your point). That doesn't seem in keeping with them. It may inspire more Grayson tripping at work, let me plan your trip posters.

-jk
12-14-2018, 07:22 PM
Our SBN brethren have some details:

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/2018/12/14/18141471/ncaa-basketball-virginia-duke-kyle-guy-umbc-kj-maura-go-fund-me

(I probably can't drive him from DC...)

-jk

SCMatt33
12-14-2018, 07:43 PM
I'm all for it. If the crazies want to do something new that's not getting anyone in trouble, I say have at it. As for people bringing up "retaliation" from UVA fans, I'm not worried about that either. Every fan base already brings their A game for Duke as it is.

bluedog15
12-14-2018, 08:01 PM
This is the best thing the crazies have done since attaching a happy meal to a fishing rod and throwing it in front of Sean may. I think that uva kids are smart enough to see that a one losing to a 16 (and being the only one to ever do so) is a MUCH MUCH blacker mark on a program than being one of the few that has lost to a 15. Also, none of our current guys where there for Mercer or Lehigh, so I don't think that'd affect them.

duke4ever19
12-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Kyle Guy is promoting the idea on his twitter account, which is a very clever move on his part.

bullettoothtony
12-14-2018, 11:29 PM

Am I way off base?

Stupid idea.

ndkjr70
12-14-2018, 11:35 PM
It’s not stupid and it’s not risky. It’s kids having fun and being damn clever in the process.

You’re really concerned about Duke facing similar vitriol? When they played at UVA in 2016 there was a noticeable “Grayson Allen Likes It In the [redacted]” chant. That wasn’t premeditated; that was par for the course with our ACC foes.

There’s nothing vulgar about this, there’s nothing that would scar children in attendance. I beg them to bring up Mercer and Lehigh; because I’d quickly bring up Wisconsin just a few years later. What would they bring up? “Oh yeah, well, this one time we made an elite eight!”.

Some of these posts reek of “get off my lawn”.

richardjackson199
12-15-2018, 12:32 AM
It didn't work for Maryland who fired up Guy:

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/2018/11/29/18117831/ncaa-acc-virginia-cavaliers-basketball-hostile-road-conditions-umbc-taunts-kyle-guy-ty-jerome

I agree with DBR on the front page. It would have been cool as a surprise. But with Kyle Guy now promoting it on his Twitter, that ship has sailed:
https://twitter.com/kylejguy5?lang=en

I still remember Jason Williams being interviewed after the Gone in 54 seconds game at Maryland and they asked him how he turned his awful performance around to his best ever. He said on TV, "I heard the Maryland fans chanting Overrated. I hate that chant." (the Overrated chant was audible on TV while JWill was shooting free throws with less than 90 seconds remaining in regulation).

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/28/sports/sp-18263

This stuff can fire up and motivate great players. Which is why K so furiously hushed the Crazies when they chanted Overrated at Romeo Langford in the first half vs Indiana.

I love the Crazies' cleverness. But we are not going to rattle UVA's vets with UMBC chants, jerseys, or former players. It definitely could backfire. At this point I think a more prudent strategy would be cheering hard for our own team. Just my opinion.

Hoo in Maryland
12-15-2018, 07:42 AM
On hearing this, I thought it wouldn't faze our team much at all. I also personally think it has a Dinner for Schmucks quality to it, where the person/team being made fun of is really UMBC, and yet they're being brought along for the ride. I agree wholeheartedly with what Ty Jerome said about the whole issue -- rather than laughing about what happened with UMBC, maybe people should praise them for being one of three teams to beat UVa last season. So, if Duke wants to do it, so be it. I don't think it bothers us, and the fact that our guys won in Cameron last year gives them all the confidence they need.

Troublemaker
12-15-2018, 07:47 AM
I'm indifferent. I don't find it to be funny myself, and I suspect Coach K doesn't approve. BUT it's not vulgar and it doesn't accidentally diminish our own team (e.g. "overrated"). You have to set a low bar these days, haha.

Here's a logistical question, though. Can the Head Line Monitor unilaterally let into the Cameron bleachers a non-student like KJ Maura to attend the game? See, I suspect the Duke men's basketball program will NOT be hosting KJ Maura when he arrives in Durham. So, this is different from when recruits like Wendell Moore and Vernon Carey walk over to the bleachers and enjoy the game with the Crazies.

Channing
12-15-2018, 07:57 AM
I don't have a problem with it but like some others I just don't find it to be funny. If a Mercer person winds up in the stands at JPJ that would be one of the less distasteful fan actions duke faces.

AGDukesky
12-15-2018, 08:28 AM
I don't have a problem with it but like some others I just don't find it to be funny. If a Mercer person winds up in the stands at JPJ that would be one of the less distasteful fan actions duke faces.

Agreed. Not really clever or original but not in poor taste. It just doesn’t move the needle in terms of being memorable or impactful.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Meh.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Agreed. Not really clever or original but not in poor taste. It just doesn’t move the needle in terms of being memorable or impactful.

this^^^^....not nearly as clever as the originator thinks. trying too hard....

jhmoss1812
12-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Love the idea of trolling UVA but this would have been so much better as a surprise. I think it could have rattled or shook the UVA players a little more as a surprise. Now, the UVA players have a month to mentally prepare for it. It may still be effective though.

This also makes sense for Duke. It could be fruitful to have at least one person in the stadium that beat UVA last year ;)

hallcity
12-15-2018, 11:33 AM
It’s a sophomoric stunt but nobody will get hurt so let’s not get in the way of the undergrads expressing the youthful (and immature) exuberance in this way. We were all young and foolish once.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-15-2018, 11:49 AM
It’s a sophomoric stunt but nobody will get hurt so let’s not get in the way of the undergrads expressing the youthful (and immature) exuberance in this way. We were all young and foolish once.

I have no problem with the youthful exuberance angle....I just think for a Cam Crazy stunt, it's kinda lame.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2018, 12:03 PM
This also makes sense for Duke. It could be fruitful to have at least one person in the stadium that beat UVA last year ;)

Well-played, Sir. Well-played.

(Or if Ma’am, please substitute as appropriate and with apologies)

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Love the idea of trolling UVA but this would have been so much better as a surprise. I think it could have rattled or shook the UVA players a little more as a surprise. Now, the UVA players have a month to mentally prepare for it. It may still be effective though.

Now THAT'S funny. Bless your trolling heart.
Love, Ima

devildeac
12-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Love, Ima

Now, now, Ima, jhmoss1812 has been a very good poster here for a while so let's not put him/her into the category of other "trolls" who have visited here. ;)

dukie’s_daughter
12-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Reminds me of the Gonzaga fan at Cameron during the Stetson game. Annoying at best...

1991 duke law
12-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Reminds me of the Gonzaga fan at Cameron during the Stetson game. Annoying at best...

Agree. I sat a few rows behind him. He was an obnoxious fool.

I like UVA. Great school - fans are not obnoxious- coach is great and a clean program with good kids. It would be my next choice after Duke. Let’s avoid karma - we have had some bad NCAA losses too.

In summary, I do not find this amusing or worthy of Duke students.

Edouble
12-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Kyle Guy is promoting the idea on his twitter account, which is a very clever move on his part.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

So the original stunt is "meh" but Kyle Guy getting behind it is "very clever"? I think he's just trying to save face.

weezie
12-15-2018, 03:08 PM
... I do not find this amusing or worthy of Duke students.

Me neither. I think it's dopey. When you have to explain the joke, or you crack yourself up while telling it....not cool.

jhmoss1812
12-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Love, Ima

Oh come on, Ima. The winky face should have made it clear that my post was made in jest.
Love, Justin

rsvman
12-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Glass houses and all..... I seem to remember some team with just three capital letters.... And a team from Pennsylvania with a competent guard..... And, oh yeah, some school from Georgia with a bunch of older guys on it.......

AGDukesky
12-15-2018, 04:41 PM
It might be bit better if the UMBC guy was with someone from Chaminade and they were high five-ing after each bad play for UVA

TruBlu
12-16-2018, 06:36 AM
In addition to the possibility that having Maura provide motivation for UVA (which I kinda doubt that UVA needs any more motivation), has anyone considered that the Crazies are being trolled? What if Maura is going to cheer for for UVA? Does anyone remember the Crazies being tricked by the Terps into chanting "Myra and Piggy", which ended up sounding like "Myron Piggy"?

Bluedog
12-16-2018, 08:29 AM
In addition to the possibility that having Maura provide motivation for UVA (which I kinda doubt that UVA needs any more motivation), has anyone considered that the Crazies are being trolled? What if Maura is going to cheer for for UVA? Does anyone remember the Crazies being tricked by the Terps into chanting "Myra and Piggy", which ended up sounding like "Myron Piggy"?

"Myra and Piggie" never caught on as a chant that game despite people claiming so. However,it WAS on the cheer sheet which became public so Maryland thought that was a success. There is also evidence that it was written on a whiteboard which there's photographic evidence of. It's possible that perhaps a few individuals shouted it at him when at the line, but it wasn't ever a loud unified chant from all the crazies despite claims to that effect.

TKG
12-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Surprised K hasn’t squelched this....

wavedukefan70s
12-16-2018, 03:29 PM

I dunno .I'm not a fan of giving other teams locker room material to get extra motivation. I would think college age players wouldnt buy into it.
But we used it in highschool religiously. Then I have to think is a 19/20(we hold them back for football) yr old highschool sr thinking any different than a 19 /20 yr old college kid in the locker room?

Reddevil
12-16-2018, 07:53 PM
My two cents is that it would be more appropriate in Blacksburg. Since when is there animosity between Duke and VA?

Tripping William
12-16-2018, 08:11 PM
My two cents is that it would be more appropriate in Blacksburg. Since when is there animosity between Duke and VA?

At least since the night at Denny's . . . . . ;)

Reilly
12-16-2018, 09:01 PM
... Since when is there animosity between Duke and VA?

Tom Sheehey brought animosity, but that was with every team.

JasonEvans
12-16-2018, 09:33 PM
I think some of y'all are getting worked up over nothing. This is a fun stunt, the kind of thing the Crazies are great at. I'd love to see them also have a fan or someone wearing a Chaminade jersey. Between Chaminade and UMBC, Virginia is on the wrong end of the two biggest upsets in college hoops history. Reminding them of that is what makes the Crazies special and stand out among the many crowds across college hoops.

But, the notion that UVa will be extra motivated by it or that they would have been thrown and flustered if we had kept the UMBC appearance under wraps just does not ring true to me. This is a stunt and will not meaningfully impact the outcome of the game. The players on both these teams know how to tune this "Bullshoot" out and not worry about it. This is really just something for the TV cameras**, IMO.

-Jason "**- Not that there is anything wrong with that" Evans

Channing
12-16-2018, 10:10 PM
Layering in chamenade and perhaps some of the other great underdogs in history (a revolutionary soldier, David) etc would, IMO, make it funny.

I have no problem with a umbrella player, I just don’t think it’s funny or clever.

DukeBlue666s
12-16-2018, 11:21 PM
I think this is great. At least the Crazies are attempting something new to get their “status” back!

They have officially raised enough money to fly him over.

bullettoothtony
12-16-2018, 11:28 PM
I think some of y'all are getting worked up over nothing. This is a fun stunt, the kind of thing the Crazies are great at. I'd love to see them also have a fan or someone wearing a Chaminade jersey. Between Chaminade and UMBC, Virginia is on the wrong end of the two biggest upsets in college hoops history. Reminding them of that is what makes the Crazies special and stand out among the many crowds across college hoops.

But, the notion that UVa will be extra motivated by it or that they would have been thrown and flustered if we had kept the UMBC appearance under wraps just does not ring true to me. This is a stunt and will not meaningfully impact the outcome of the game. The players on both these teams know how to tune this "Bullshoot" out and not worry about it. This is really just something for the TV cameras**, IMO.

I completely disagree with all this. But I'll concede I'm as unlikely to change your mind as you are to mine.

Moreover, the length of this exchange is now out of proportion to my interest in it. Bon nuit.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-16-2018, 11:44 PM
I am all for creative new ideas, but this one doesn't really do it for me. I think you would actually get more out of ordering a bunch of UMBC shirts or hats and having a big block of Crazies wear them. Having a random UMBC player in the crowd seems pointless - who cares if he is just sitting there? This one just screams "overprivileged Duke kids wasting their money on a silly stunt."

Wahoo2000
12-17-2018, 01:11 AM

Ding, ding, ding. Been waiting for someone to point out that these coaches, given the way they teach, and the types of guys they recruit (especially our guys as they are older and more experienced) are unlikely to be affected by something like this in any way that might tangibly impact the game.

Would be funny for TV though, I'd think. The thought that Guy or Jerome would get EITHER "shook" or extra-motivated by seeing the guy from UMBC is absurd.

DarkstarWahoo
12-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Comes off a little cringey and try-hard to this (admittedly biased) Wahoo. I think weezie hit my thoughts rather well. That said, it's not vulgar or offensive or anything like that. He'll get some pregame air time next to Vitale if he does the game, guys from both teams will go over and give him the "respect" bro-hug, and the players will all move on.

I completely understand and encourage it on Maura's part. A free plane trip and (presumably) front-row ticket to one of the biggest games of the year? That's great hustle, young man.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 06:11 PM
I think angle someone else brought up.....having some reference to both Chaminade and UMBC would be funny...maybe have some jerseys from both in the crowd, etc.

But the whole crowd funding thing to bring in a player? Kinda trying too hard....(though if I'm the player, I accept).

Dukehky
12-17-2018, 08:20 PM
They didn't need to do this gofundme thing. The line monitors are totalitarian regime anyway, they could have just brought him into the game as a surprise. This is just meh. It's not a big deal, kinda funny, execution just poor. At least they're trying though. UVA has owned the conference the past few years, so they are certainly moving into "rival" territory.

Truth&Justise
12-18-2018, 09:59 AM
They didn't need to do this gofundme thing. The line monitors are totalitarian regime anyway, they could have just brought him into the game as a surprise. This is just meh. It's not a big deal, kinda funny, execution just poor. At least they're trying though. UVA has owned the conference the past few years, so they are certainly moving into "rival" territory.

How? He's playing in Puerto Rico --- probably not the most lucrative pro league to be in. My guess is he only agreed to come if someone paid for his travel. At that point, who's going to pay for it? Having everyone who wants to see this chip in a few bucks makes sense.

BeachBlueDevil
12-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Man.... This isn't that serious. While it might be a stunt, it hurts no one. But the majority of responses are of the "GET OFF MY LAWN" variety. Lighten up a little bit and let the kids be kids.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Man... This isn't that serious. While it might be a stunt, it hurts no one. But the majority of responses are of the "GET OFF MY LAWN" variety. Lighten up a little bit and let the kids be kids.

or you could lighten up.....most of the responses are "meh, kinda lame but harmless" - do a recount.

Dukehky
12-18-2018, 08:32 PM
How? He's playing in Puerto Rico --- probably not the most lucrative pro league to be in. My guess is he only agreed to come if someone paid for his travel. At that point, who's going to pay for it? Having everyone who wants to see this chip in a few bucks makes sense.

This is my bad. Thought he was coming from B-more. Touche. Gofundme all good.

gep
12-19-2018, 01:11 AM
Didn’t the fan that Ol’Roy had ejected from the game at unc show up at the Duke game? Similar?

UVa1981
12-21-2018, 03:58 PM

I do think the UVa players are getting extra motivation from the UMBC loss, particularly Jerome and Guy. The word out of Charlottesville is that the team has been working harder than ever before.

That extra chip on the shoulder just has nothing to do with Duke or its fans, but rather the entire NCAA basketball world and will be there for every team this season. On the other hand, Duke provides UVa (and, similarly, other teams) motivation simply because Duke is a strong team with a strong coach. Who doesn't take a game at Cameron as a special challenge?

Thinking back to last year's game, and games stretching back to when every year's series entailed a home-and-home with every team in the conference, I have two thoughts:

(1) I really do miss the home-and-home when we got Duke (and every other team in the ACC) home and away; there was something very special about that.

(2) If we don't get Duke for a home-and-home (we do this year), at least I want to play Duke at Duke; that provides what Tony Bennett calls "truth serum," which powder puffs typically don't.

The bottom line for me: the players will be expecting (and have already received) heckling for the UMBC loss. It's part of the game, just like fans waving their arms during foul shots. Let the fans have all the fun they want so long as it doesn't slip into something that could be dangerous (e.g., throwing ice) or something that is patently offensive (e.g., some of the stuff directed at Juan Dixon).