PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Duke Football Survey

chrishoke
12-14-2018, 04:11 PM
This morning I received by email the 2018 Duke Football survey and immediately completed it. I thought it was a good survey and addressed most points we have discussed here. They even asked about beer sales! I encourage your participation.

SavDukeGrad
12-14-2018, 04:30 PM
This morning I received by email the 2018 Duke Football survey and immediately completed it. I thought it was a good survey and addressed most points we have discussed here. They even asked about beer sales! I encourage your participation.

I completed it as well and was going to post the same thing, but you beat me to it! It looks like it was sent to anyone who bought tickets to any football game this past season.

budwom
12-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Nice to get in a few shots about the dismal scoreboard/content management...whoever runs that thing has zero concept of game rhythm....

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Nice to get in a few shots about the dismal scoreboard/content management...whoever runs that thing has zero concept of game rhythm...

And no respect for the band. The scoreboard operators seem determined to interfere rather than support.

I have asked for years that the words to our fight songs and Alma Mater be scrolled on the screen so that people can learn them and participate by singing. Sometimes a few words to songs did run halfheartedly across the bottom of the screen, but advertising won out. Karaoke words chosen for the big screen.

Other schools which employ IMG to manage their brands do have word to songs on their boards.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Thank God you guys are hitting them on the survey where they need it. Cut and the players are working so hard (well, WF game notwithstanding) and very un-necessary problems with security and the scoreboard and the concessions plague the experience in Wally Wade.

Reilly
12-15-2018, 07:15 AM
... I have asked for years that the words to our fight songs and Alma Mater be scrolled on the screen so that people can learn them and participate by singing. Sometimes a few words to songs did run halfheartedly across the bottom of the screen, but advertising won out. ...
Other schools which employ IMG to manage their brands do have word to songs on their boards.

I think communal singing would be tremendous. Duke should make a polished video and upload it to Youtube that has "Fight Blue Devils", ""Blue and White", "Devil with a Blue Dress", and the Alma Mater "Dear Old Duke" played in succession. Have the words on the bottom of the screen. Have the video feature Duke people singing, and footage of the stunning campus. Include the link in every alumni communication and in admissions materials (882 young folks joined the Duke community earlier this week via early decision). Then, show the words in the football stadium on the board every time, without fail, as DitBD suggests. Sing the songs at campus gatherings. Make it a thing.

Stop, stand, and sing the Alma Mater every time you hear it.

I'm the youngest in a large family and my siblings and I all attended the same high school. One of my older sisters talks of how at every assembly, they sung the school song, and everybody in the school at that time remembers it, and she even sung it to her kids when they were little as a bedtime song, so her kids all know it. For whatever reason, by the time I came along, that tradition at the high school had stopped -- such that, it wasn't until decades after I graduated high school that I even realized there was a school song! So, for bedtime songs, my kids had to settle for "Fight Blue Devils" and "Hail to the Redskins" (we try to sing songs with slurs whenever possible; it promotes disdain for others) and we'd even work "Hail to the Victors" and "Cheer, Cheer for Old Notre Dame" into the rotation.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=242332

budwom
12-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Thank God you guys are hitting them on the survey where they need it. Cut and the players are working so hard (well, WF game notwithstanding) and very un-necessary problems with security and the scoreboard and the concessions plague the experience in Wally Wade.

Great opportunity to comment on concessions...the putrid offerings and snail like pace of the Duke operated spots leave a lot of money on the table. They're run more like a tiny church social than a high volume sporting event.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-15-2018, 11:11 AM
I think communal singing would be tremendous. Duke should make a polished video and upload it to Youtube that has "Fight Blue Devils", ""Blue and White", "Devil with a Blue Dress", and the Alma Mater "Dear Old Duke" played in succession. Have the words on the bottom of the screen. Have the video feature Duke people singing, and footage of the stunning campus. Include the link in every alumni communication and in admissions materials (882 young folks joined the Duke community earlier this week via early decision). Then, show the words in the football stadium on the board every time, without fail, as DitBD suggests. Sing the songs at campus gatherings. Make it a thing.

Stop, stand, and sing the Alma Mater every time you hear it.

I'm the youngest in a large family and my siblings and I all attended the same high school. One of my older sisters talks of how at every assembly, they sung the school song, and everybody in the school at that time remembers it, and she even sung it to her kids when they were little as a bedtime song, so her kids all know it. For whatever reason, by the time I came along, that tradition at the high school had stopped -- such that, it wasn't until decades after I graduated high school that I even realized there was a school song! So, for bedtime songs, my kids had to settle for "Fight Blue Devils" and "Hail to the Redskins" (we try to sing songs with slurs whenever possible; it promotes disdain for others) and we'd even work "Hail to the Victors" and "Cheer, Cheer for Old Notre Dame" into the rotation.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=242332

The irony of not providing the words to the songs is that it's a missed opportunity for team building among those in the stands, team building which would add to the game day experience.... very cost effective for improving the game day experience, that illusive goal of the home games.

Bob Green
12-16-2018, 01:02 PM
I completed the survey and jumped all over the opportunity to complain about the security staff and stadium entrance screening process.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-16-2018, 01:22 PM
I completed the survey and jumped all over the opportunity to complain about the security staff and stadium entrance screening process.

My description of the screening staff was "inconsistent amateurs and a few provocateurs who do the inspections."

TKG
12-16-2018, 01:24 PM

Bob: would you please share the survey questions, if possible? I am just interested in the questions asked. Sometimes you can get a sense of the survey sponsor’s preconceived notions or predetermined conclusions based on the questions and/or how the questions are worded. For example, are you asked to choose from a series of pre-selected answers ( a drop down menu)? Is there the option of adding a long form answer?

Thanks.

Bob Green
12-16-2018, 01:50 PM
For example, are you asked to choose from a series of pre-selected answers ( a drop down menu)? Is there the option of adding a long form answer?

The majority of the survey is choosing from a series of pre-selected answers. Basic Likert Scale stuff: Not important, somewhat important, moderately important, very important, extremely important.

However, there is a place toward the end of the survey to type detailed opinions. This is where I stated the Security Staff ruined my Game Day Experience.

arnie
12-16-2018, 02:37 PM
The majority of the survey is choosing from a series of pre-selected answers. Basic Likert Scale stuff: Not important, somewhat important, moderately important, very important, extremely important.

However, there is a place toward the end of the survey to type detailed opinions. This is where I stated the Security Staff ruined my Game Day Experience.

For what it’s worth, I know a Staff 1 security employee very well. She’s worked Duke football in the past and will never do it again. The security directives are coming from Duke, Staff 1 has to implement the directives. I’ll leave it at that.

budwom
12-16-2018, 02:52 PM
University bureaucracies can go toe to toe with the most intransigent, illogical, sclerotic corporate ones.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2018, 03:04 PM
I have no objections to the security screening process. Unfortunately, it's the time we live in and a necessary evil. I want them to detract from people bringing guns and/or knives into the stadium. We gladly subject ourselves to the screening process and the extra 5 to 10 minutes it takes. This past season the screeners were generally polite and efficient. Heck, even the parking lot attendants were nicer and no longer get classified as "parking Nazi's". :cool:

Anyway, here are the comments I supplied with my survey:

These are in no particular order. They are all first in priority.

Allow exit and reentry at half time. We pay a lot for our tent in Blue Devil Alley and to not be able to return to it at half time and get back into the game is very disappointing. I have tent mates that go out at halftime and don't come back in because they aren't allowed to. They watch the second half on the satellite TV at the tent, rather than being in the stadium cheering the team on. A poor choice in my opinion, but it happens often.

I am against selling alcohol to the general public during games. I drink (beer) before the game, but I don't want someone getting drunk in the stands during the game and causing a "ruckus" or getting into a fight with other fans. Selling alcohol would create more problems than it would create revenue or bring more fans into the stands, probably the opposite. Some person getting drunk won't bring more kids into the stands, most likely fewer. And again, it's not because I'm against alcohol.

We want more DUMB playing during the game and less (or no) piped in music. THIS GOES FOR BASKETBALL GAMES IN CAMERON TOO! Put mikes in front of the band so it plays over the sound system so everyone can hear them. Stream the words to the fight songs on the video board every time they are played, so fans can learn them and sing along. Blue and White, Fight Fight Blue Devils, even Devil with the Blue Dress On. The piped in music kills the game enthusiasm in the stands because it is too loud and has nothing to do with fan spirit, and the DUMB isn't allowed to play when the music is.

There are never enough of the Game Day programs available when you enter the stadium, and there are no locations where you can pick one up if you don't get it from the one person near your gate when you enter - if you miss him/her, you are S. O. L.

My wife thinks the in game promotions (9th St. Flowers, Fan of the game, find the hidden football, sponsor recognition game balls) are lame and detract from fan enthusiasm - timing is always bad. Does the VP of Verizon (or was it Spectrum?) really want to get boo'd when he's presented a game ball? It happened this past season. Better to do an extra round of karaoke and show fans singing. Karaoke should be the only time you do piped in music. The DJ is terrible.

I am very glad you sell Coke brand products at games. We are Diet Coke drinkers, don't like Diet Pepsi and won't buy it. I know there are fans who think the opposite - it's OK if you sell both, but don't change sponsors and get rid of Coke products. There should be more vendors walking the aisles selling bottled drinks during games.

Allow and provide clear *heavy duty) gallon sized bags to be brought into the stadium. Many colleges, including those cheating bastards at carolina, provided them to season ticket holders free with their tickets - much better than a dumb flag we got that never saw the light of day. That flag is a total waste of money - two years in a row!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-16-2018, 03:05 PM
University bureaucracies can go toe to toe with the most intransigent, illogical, sclerotic corporate ones.

I'll take University bureaucrats and spot corporate 20 yards of red tape.....

HereBeforeCoachK
12-16-2018, 03:12 PM
For what it’s worth, I know a Staff 1 security employee very well. She’s worked Duke football in the past and will never do it again. The security directives are coming from Duke, Staff 1 has to implement the directives. I’ll leave it at that.

This is why coaches make more money than faculty and staff...coaches who are this incompetent get criticized very publicly, sometimes humiliated, and often fired. In the background, you can grind 20 years of incompetence into retirement. In public, out front? Not so much.