PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 12/10-12/16

pfrduke
12-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Very slow exam week - no games the last two days and very little before the weekend.

Monday and Tuesday were dark

Wednesday

[40]Louisville (-7) hosts [73]Lipscomb (7:00, ACCNE)
[85]Boston College (-13) hosts [246]Columbia (7:00, ACCNE)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday

[17]Syracuse (-11) hosts [88]Old Dominion (12:00, ACCNE)
[57]Notre Dame (+6) vs. [14]Purdue in Indianapolis (1:30, CBS)
[27]NC State (-2) vs. [42]Penn State in Atlantic City (2:00, ESPNU)
[114]Pittsburgh (-22) hosts [348]Maryland Eastern Shore (2:00, ACCNE)
[41]Clemson (-11) hosts [134]Radford (3:00, ACCNE)
[40]Louisville (-13) hosts [147]Kent State (4:00, ACCNE)
[7]North Carolina (-3) hosts [6]Gonzaga (7:00, ESPN2)
[11]Virginia Tech (-6) vs. [52]Washington in Atlantic City (7:00, ESPNU)

Sunday

[85]Boston College (-14) hosts [249]Fairfield (1:00, ACCNE)

ACC Non-Conference: 102-32
ACC vs. Power 5: 20-22

America East: 3-0
American: 3-1
Atlantic-10: 7-2
Atlantic Sun: 2-0
Big XII: 0-3
Big East: 3-6
Big Sky: 1-0
Big South: 2-1
Big Ten: 9-8
Big West: 1-0
Colonial: 6-0
CUSA: 3-0
Horizon: 3-1
Ivy: 2-2
MAAC: 1-1
MAC: 3-0
MEAC: 8-0
MVC: 2-0
MWC: 3-0
Northeast: 8-0
Ohio Valley: 2-0
Pac-12: 2-2
Patriot: 3-0
SEC: 4-3
Southern: 9-0
Southland: 6-1
Sun Belt: 2-0
SWAC: 2-0
WAC: 2-0
WCC: 0-1

English
12-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Gross, and forgive my ignorance, but when was the last time the ACC had a losing record against the other P5 conferences?

In any case, I hope that record gets one game worse on Saturday, 7P. Go Zags!

pfrduke
12-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Gross, and forgive my ignorance, but when was the last time the ACC had a losing record against the other P5 conferences?

In any case, I hope that record gets one game worse on Saturday, 7P. Go Zags!

That game won't make our P5 record worse (or better) as the WCC is not one of those conferences.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Louisville got by Lipscomb by 4 and BC beat Columbia by 9.....not exactly scary good results....

pfrduke
12-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Louisville got by Lipscomb by 4 and BC beat Columbia by 9...not exactly scary good results...

Given the predicted margins (-7 and -13, respectively), those are not really outside the realm of what would be expected.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-13-2018, 07:01 AM
Given the predicted margins (-7 and -13, respectively), those are not really outside the realm of what would be expected.

This is true, and certainly Lipscomb is probably better than most people would think at first impression....but the fact that two ACC teams were such small favorites to begin with kind of makes my point as well.

PackMan97
12-13-2018, 07:20 AM
Go Zags!

Troublemaker
12-13-2018, 08:07 AM
Hmm...while Gonzaga is good, they’re not THAT good. I would be surprised if they beat UNC — who probably has more overall talent than the Zags — on their home court.

I think pfrduke posted in the This Week in the ACC thread that the cheats are at -3 in this match-up.

Go Zags!

Heels fans I know are braced. Especially following the Zags loss. Personally, I expect a close game, but give Gonzaga the edge.

UNC is also desperate to get their first big-time win this season (UCLA doesn't count, heh) and are only a game removed from the embarrassment in Ann Arbor. Zags are a west coast team flying east for this game. I agree with Steven43 about UNC winning but hope like heck that I'm wrong.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-13-2018, 08:22 AM
UNC is also desperate to get their first big-time win this season (UCLA doesn't count, heh) and are only a game removed from the embarrassment in Ann Arbor. Zags are a west coast team flying east for this game. I agree with Steven43 about UNC winning but hope like heck that I'm wrong.

Def some intangibles in favor of the Heels here...including the West coast team flying east and UNC wanting a signature win badly. Don't discount the fact that living in the shadow of the statistical/physical/media force of nature named Zion....that beating a team that beat Zion and Duke is certainly adding fuel to the Cheats' fire for this game. I would not be surprised with either result.. In fact, with a gun pointed to my head, I might lean to the cheats.....

Troublemaker
12-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Def some intangibles in favor of the Heels here...including the West coast team flying east and UNC wanting a signature win badly. Don't discount the fact that living in the shadow of the statistical/physical/media force of nature named Zion...that beating a team that beat Zion and Duke is certainly adding fuel to the Cheats' fire for this game. I would not be surprised with either result.. In fact, with a gun pointed to my head, I might lean to the cheats...

Definitely, I forgot to mention that factor, too. When the buzzer sounded in Maui and Gonzaga had beaten Duke, among my first thoughts was, "Dangit, and now UNC is going to beat the Zags at home in a few weeks."

For Dukies that live in NC, brace yourself for incoming trash talk if UNC wins here. While I suspect Duke and Dukies will eventually get the last laugh, it'll be annoying for awhile if UNC beats the team that we lost to.

devildeac
12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Definitely, I forgot to mention that factor, too. When the buzzer sounded in Maui and Gonzaga had beaten Duke, among my first thoughts was, "Dangit, and now UNC is going to beat the Zags at home in a few weeks."

For Dukies that live in NC, brace yourself for incoming trash talk if UNC wins here. While I suspect Duke and Dukies will eventually get the last laugh, it'll be annoying for awhile if UNC beats the team that we lost to.

I'm bracing myself for a couple phantom PF on Hachimura (sp?), a few "gimme 3 steps" by the cheats that are umm, overlooked, and multiple OTB actions for O-boards and D-boards that send Zag players to the floor or into the front row that are conveniently ignored by the "fine" acc ref crew that swofford assigns to the game. IOW, bizness as usual in the dean's myth center this weekend. 9F.

PackMan97
12-13-2018, 10:47 AM
In fact, with a gun pointed to my head, I might lean to the cheats....

I might just go ahead and pull the trigger. Give me anyone but Carolina, or give me death!

OldPhiKap
12-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Give me anyone but Carolina, or give me death!

ign my name to this petition too. I hope the Zags beat them by 20, and that Roy finishes the game with two time outs still in his pocket.

TruBlu
12-13-2018, 11:45 AM
I look for the Zags to win big. I’ve watched them once - a win over the #1 team (ugh), and I’ve watched the cheats twice - both losses. Small sample size, yes. And I’m biased strongly against the cheats, as every right thinking person should be.

GO ZAGS!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-13-2018, 12:58 PM
I might just go ahead and pull the trigger. Give me anyone but Carolina, or give me death!

perhaps a primer on what the difference is between what we'd like to see versus what we think might happen would be timely......and I know that my desire that the Zags win the game will have zip zero nada impact. The intangibles I listed probably will have an impact.

devildeac
12-13-2018, 01:20 PM
ign my name to this petition too. I hope the Zags beat them by 20, and that Roy finishes the game with two time outs still in his pocket.

I hope he finishes with those two time outs stuffed somewhere else...

PackMan97
12-13-2018, 01:57 PM
perhaps a primer on what the difference is between what we'd like to see versus what we think might happen would be timely...and I know that my desire that the Zags win the game will have zip zero nada impact. The intangibles I listed probably will have an impact.

I never think good things for Carolina. Never. Denial is not just a river in Egypt, it's a way of life!

OldPhiKap
12-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Syracuse . . . Really? At home?!? Up by eleven in the second half ?!?!?

Good gravy.

devildeac
12-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Syracuse . . . Really? At home?!? Up by eleven in the second half ?!?!?

Good gravy.

Yet, they'll play like champions on 2/23.

:mad:

devildeac
12-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Looks like the Panthers are playing the beatable directional UMd school.

MChambers
12-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Looks like the Panthers are playing the beatable directional UMd school.

UVa is taking the week off?

left_hook_lacey
12-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Can't beive UNC is -3 favs against the zags. I think they lose by 10-12 points easy.

dukelifer
12-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Can't beive UNC is -3 favs against the zags. I think they lose by 10-12 points easy.

UNC up early. Tough road trip at this point in the season. I think UNC wins easily.

Indoor66
12-15-2018, 07:30 PM
The cheaters are playing the best defense they have all year.

ncexnyc
12-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Is this the same team we lost to in Maui? Did Mark Few leave some of the team back in Washington?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-15-2018, 07:49 PM
UNC hitting midrange jumpers. This looks like the sort of performance they usually reserve for Duke games.

UrinalCake
12-15-2018, 07:57 PM
Is this the same team we lost to in Maui? Did Mark Few leave some of the team back in Washington?

They definitely played out of their minds against us, and have lost a lot of momentum since then. Hope they can make a run in the second half, because this game is just brutal right now.

On a more positive note, the Indiana win could wind up being a really positive resume builder for us. They escaped Butler on a dramatic buzzer beater and appear to be playing much better than when we destroyed them.

MaxAMillion
12-15-2018, 07:57 PM
I actually took UNC and the moneyline. Should have laid the points.

gep
12-15-2018, 07:59 PM
UNC hitting midrange jumpers. This looks like the sort of performance they usually reserve for Duke games.

Maybe this game uses "it" all up for the rest of the season :cool:

Troublemaker
12-15-2018, 08:04 PM
Utterly predictable guys, as I (and others) indeed did predict it in this thread. Lots of factors working against Gonzaga tonight.

dukelifer
12-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Utterly predictable guys, as I (and others) indeed did predict it in this thread. Lots of factors working against Gonzaga tonight.

They will get better as well when others join the team.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-15-2018, 08:19 PM
I have full faith in the cheats’ ability to generate the outcome we all want. Nothing to worry about here.

PackMan97
12-15-2018, 09:06 PM

Well...we know Carolina has had the past week or two off while everyone else has been cramming for exams...so there is that.

Saratoga2
12-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Say what you will, UNC shot incredibly well from outside and mid range, they shot well from the foul line and they rebounded exceptionally well. Gonzaga made quite a few errors, many unforced. That was enough to sink Gonzaga. Things have a way of evening out. UNC is not as good as they looked tonight nor is Gonzaga as bad.

Troublemaker
12-15-2018, 09:14 PM
They will get better as well when others join the team.

Indeed. Tillie is going to be an amazing 6th man for the Zags when he returns, and they've also been missing 7th man Geno Crandall, who was a hot offseason grad transfer. They're going to become much deeper.

Well...we know Carolina has had the past week or two off while everyone else has been cramming for exams...so there is that.

Indeed.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2018, 09:44 PM
Nice win for the Heels. Gonna be a fun year in the conference.

-jk
12-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Nice win for the Heels. Gonna be a fun year in the conference.

Current Kenpom - #1, 2 of the top 2, 3 of the top 5, 5 of the top 15, 8 of the top 40, 10 of the top 50. (11 of the top 52 if we want to reach...)

Yeah, gonna be another fun year in the best hoops conf!

-jk

TruBlu
12-15-2018, 10:23 PM
It was a good day in the ACC, other than Syracuse losing and unc winning.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Say what you will, UNC shot incredibly well from outside and mid range, they shot well from the foul line and they rebounded exceptionally well. Gonzaga made quite a few errors, many unforced. That was enough to sink Gonzaga. Things have a way of evening out. UNC is not as good as they looked tonight nor is Gonzaga as bad.

True, and I think we learned that UNC is not as bad as they have looked at times this season.....and when Duke goes over there, I think we can count on a similar shooting night from them. Seems they always shoot well against Duke....

moonpie23
12-16-2018, 09:11 AM
i thought the ncaa scandal ruined their recruiting???

DukieInBrasil
12-16-2018, 09:37 AM
It was a good day in the ACC, other than Syracuse losing and unc winning.

ACC went 6-1, 2-0 vs the Big Tweleven, 1-0 vs PAC, and several other wins vs at least decent teams. The only victory over a bad team was Pitt's dismantling of UMES (1-10). Even the Cuse's loss was to a respectable team, record-wise at least. I think the 3-0 vs "P5" schools put the ACC at +1 for the season vs those conferences.

kshepinthehouse
12-16-2018, 10:22 AM
i thought the ncaa scandal ruined their recruiting???

The scandal helped them for 18 years and seems to still be helping them.

richardjackson199
12-16-2018, 11:05 AM
I saw Mike Brey said he thinks Rex Pflueger tore his ACL. Brey has really had it tough with injuries at Notre Dame. Losing Bonzie Colson / Matt Farrell last year was also ruthless.

richardjackson199
12-16-2018, 11:10 AM
The scandal helped them for 18 years and seems to still be helping them.

yep, and that Cam Johnson transfer within same conference has really helped the cheats win.

cheaters gonna cheat

kmspeaks
12-16-2018, 12:46 PM
I saw Mike Brey said he thinks Rex Pflueger tore his ACL. Brey has really had it tough with injuries at Notre Dame. Losing Bonzie Colson / Matt Farrell last year was also ruthless.

But Notre Dame doesn't wear Nike and we all know Nike shoes are the cause of all basketball injuries.

PackMan97
12-17-2018, 08:27 AM
yep, and that Cam Johnson transfer within same conference has really helped the cheats win.

cheaters gonna cheat

Transfer in the same conference and get immediate eligibility. Somehow he graduated from Pitt in three years, so he qualified as a graduate transfer and due to an injury redshirt had two years to play.

If I'm a coach, there is no way I let a kid get ahead in their classes so they graduate early.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 08:50 AM
If I'm a coach, there is no way I let a kid get ahead in their classes so they graduate early.

Surely you jest

Troublemaker
12-17-2018, 10:09 AM
True, and I think we learned that UNC is not as bad as they have looked at times this season...and when Duke goes over there, I think we can count on a similar shooting night from them. Seems they always shoot well against Duke...

We'll know more about UNC after they play Kentucky because a few of the great situational factors that were in place for them against Gonzaga will be reversed against Kentucky. UK is desperate for a win against a name opponent to, in a sense, re-start their season and right their ship, and they'll probably have more fans in Chicago than UNC. The Heels have some pressure to not lose to a team that Duke beat by 40, and UK is overall probably on a slight upswing (having easily covered the Kenpom/Vegas spread 3 of the past 4 games) whereas Gonzaga was on a slight downswing with their depth issues catching up to them.

If UNC loses to UK, I'm not all that impressed with their 3-loss (at least) non-conference season. They're a good team for sure no matter what, but whether they're top-5, top-10, top-20 is still to be determined, imo. Incidentally, the Heels had 23 turnovers against Gonzaga. I know a team that might take amazing, highlight-creating advantage of such sloppy ballhandling.

UrinalCake
12-17-2018, 10:25 AM
True, but Gonzaga also really needed the win too. Not only were they coming off the loss to TN, but this was their last chance to get a win of any value before they begin play in their garbage conference. They could go undefeated the rest of the way and finish the year with only the win over us to boost their resume. Being something like 27-2 but 1-2 against ranked teams might not get them a 1 seed (although it probably would).

I was also noticing that the CHeats really didn’t handle the fulll court press well near the end of the game. Their lack of a point guard was apparent. Hopefully we’ll be able to exploit that. Also I hope that having us push the ball off rebounds and generate run outs will force the CHeats to not send everybody so hard to the offensive glass. They were something like +19 on second chance points vs. Gonzaga and could do the same to us.

Troublemaker
12-17-2018, 10:41 AM
True, but Gonzaga also really needed the win too. Not only were they coming off the loss to TN, but this was their last chance to get a win of any value before they begin play in their garbage conference. They could go undefeated the rest of the way and finish the year with only the win over us to boost their resume. Being something like 27-2 but 1-2 against ranked teams might not get them a 1 seed (although it probably would).

I was also noticing that the CHeats really didn’t handle the fulll court press well near the end of the game. Their lack of a point guard was apparent. Hopefully we’ll be able to exploit that. Also I hope that having us push the ball off rebounds and generate run outs will force the CHeats to not send everybody so hard to the offensive glass. They were something like +19 on second chance points vs. Gonzaga and could do the same to us.

Gonzaga's resume was already great, and they've gotten #1 seeds before with the same formula. Plus, the committee will note that they've been playing without Tillie and Crandall.

Seriously, wins against Duke and Arizona on neutral, a win at Creighton, plus whatever the wins against TAMU, Washington, and Illinois are worth. They've been playing Power 6 teams so often. UNC needed this win 10 times more, especially while defending homecourt.

Also note that Gonzaga's main competition for a #1 seed out West is Nevada, whom the Zags will own a resume edge on. Plus, let's say an east coast team ends up as a #1 seed out west with the Zags as a #2. They're not unhappy with that scenario either.

moonpie23
12-17-2018, 10:57 AM
Gonzaga is a much better team than UK......beating them (home or not) should be respected...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Gonzaga is a much better team than UK...beating them (home or not) should be respected...

Yeah, not sure how folks here think that disparaging UNC's win against a team that beat us straight up doesn't make us look poor.

Zags are a very good, final four caliber team. UNC played their rears off, giving easily their best performance of the season, and pretty much pounded them. Hats off.

jv001
12-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Yeah, not sure how folks here think that disparaging UNC's win against a team that beat us straight up doesn't make us look poor.

Zags are a very good, final four caliber team. UNC played their rears off, giving easily their best performance of the season, and pretty much pounded them. Hats off.

Just as long as we beat those cheating frauds. I don't look at who we lost to, who we beat and carry it over to how our rivals do against those teams. Every game is different and doesn't carry much weight with me. I just never root for the cheats. :cool:
GoDuke!

Troublemaker
12-17-2018, 12:06 PM

No one's disparaging the win. Are we not allowed to have nuance in analysis? Circumstances matter. It's a good win... at home, against a banged up team that was already on the downswing the previous two games. It's still a good win, but...nuance.

(None of this is done with hindsight either. I predicted it beforehand, I max bet it in the degenerate contest, etc.)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-17-2018, 01:12 PM

I agree about Gonzaga's ability to score in the 2nd half - they seemed able to get to the rim at will. If UNC did not dominate the glass and hit so many jumpers, the Zags might have been able to make a game of it in the second half. Instead, I don't think they were able to get closer than 8 or 10, and the UNC would hit a three or a 15 foot jumper.

I mentioned in the in-game thread and saw elsewhere - this looked like the sort of performance UNC usually reserves for our guys. The UNC team I saw Saturday looked capable of hanging with anyone. I hope we don't see that again!

Let's go Duke!