PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga writer talks about annual trip to Duke, UNC

BillVol
12-11-2018, 02:12 PM
I enjoyed this and thought you all would too...

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2018/12/10/381321/John-Shearer-Watching-One-Duke-And.aspx

Rich
12-11-2018, 03:29 PM

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2018/12/10/381321/John-Shearer-Watching-One-Duke-And.aspx

Nice article. Someone should get that guy a ticket to a men's game, even one when the students are on break and tickets are more accessible.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Nice article. Someone should get that guy a ticket to a men's game, even one when the students are on break and tickets are more accessible.

True...maybe the next article won't be 90% unCheat....

BandAlum83
12-11-2018, 05:29 PM

I skipped over a lot of the first half..Otherwise it was good.

Degutis
12-24-2018, 01:14 AM

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2018/12/10/381321/John-Shearer-Watching-One-Duke-And-By- (https://www.chattanoogan.com/2018/12/10/381321/John-Shearer-Watching-One-Duke-And.aspx)Fastessaywriter (https://www.writemyessayfast.org/)-Chattanooga.aspx (https://www.chattanoogan.com/2018/12/10/381321/John-Shearer-Watching-One-Duke-And.aspx)

A warm story to read on a winter day. I like such narratives. When you know about the feelings of the speaker, not just facts. I enjoyed this and it's a rare style for a sports article. There's also John's email indicated - not sure if I it would be appropriate to send a thank you letter.

weezie
12-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Yeah, the first 3/4 of the piece are boring but the end really picks up the pace. :cool:

Rich
12-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Yeah, the first 3/4 of the piece are boring and completely pointless but the end really picks up the pace. :cool:

FIFY

HereBeforeCoachK
12-24-2018, 03:47 PM
I skipped over a lot of the first half..Otherwise it was good.

Agreed....I almost stopped reading.....

jv001
12-25-2018, 09:45 AM
The writer has been making his trips since 2012 and it's his first visit to Cameron. He almost made me throw up when he said that Cheat U is one of the most challenging state schools academically in the south. He must have had his head buried in the dirt when the Cheats were caught offering fraudulent classes to the student body, as well as the student athletes. He adds that he wasn't sure he could have been accepted there as a freshmen. He instead is a proud University of Georgia grad. Georgia must really be a very poor academic school. :confused: GoDuke!

cspan37421
12-25-2018, 02:56 PM
The writer has been making his trips since 2012 and it's his first visit to Cameron. He almost made me throw up when he said that Cheat U is one of the most challenging state schools academically in the south. He must have had his head buried in the dirt when the Cheats were caught offering fraudulent classes to the student body, as well as the student athletes. He adds that he wasn't sure he could have been accepted there as a freshmen. He instead is a proud University of Georgia grad. Georgia must really be a very poor academic school. :confused: GoDuke!

IDK about today but a few years ago UGA, UNC-CH, and UVA were all considered 5-star public schools in the college guides. But I don't believe they have comparable academic profiles in terms of acceptance rate, stats of matriculated students, etc. I could be mistaken.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-25-2018, 06:06 PM

Well, if we are all being honest, UNC is a top tier public university by most metrics... Just not for athletes.

NSDukeFan
12-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Well, if we are all being honest, UNC is a top tier public university by most metrics... Just not for athletes.

But remember, it wasn’t just for athletes (to the NCAA), cheating was available to all students. There is definitely a willingness to let the whole top tier public university thing slide, if it might affect some banners.

Rich
12-25-2018, 09:06 PM

But remember, it wasn’t just for athletes (to the NCAA), cheating was available to all students. There is definitely a willingness to let the whole top tier public university thing slide, if it might affect some banners.

We know that because we read the Duke Basketball Report. I live in the Northeast (NJ) and I can tell you that people here still think that UNC has a very strong academic reputation. When I mention the scandal, most people around here don't know what I'm talking about. It pains me to say, but the general perception outside of the state of NC is that nothing even happened.

I have the Fiske Guide to Colleges 2019 edition and the three page write-up says:

UNC's reputation for balancing high-level athletics and academics took a major hit following reports of long-standing special academic treatment of athletes that have spurred academic and athletic reforms over the past several years.

That's it. The rest of the write-up is overwhelmingly positive.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-25-2018, 09:22 PM

I've never understood why UNC alums weren't infuriated by the scandal. I would imagine if something similar happened at Duke, the alums here would be apoplectic at the thought of the devaluation of their degree and the black spot on the institution.

Rich
12-25-2018, 09:27 PM
I've never understood why UNC alums weren't infuriated by the scandal. I would imagine if something similar happened at Duke, the alums here would be apoplectic at the thought of the devaluation of their degree and the black spot on the institution.

I met one UNC alum who completely disassociated herself from the institution after the scandal, but she's pretty astute and I'm sure she was in the minority. She also just retired so she may be more willing to let it go than someone who has to address it in a job interview or resume. I can tell you that as someone who does some hiring, I would definitely ask a UNC grad how they feel about it in an interview. And THEN I'd put their resume on the bottom of the pile! ;)

howardlander
12-25-2018, 09:58 PM

A lot of alums are, but maybe not as many as should be. I mentioned this before, but at least anecdotally, you see a lot less cheater clothing in Durham now. It's a actually become rare. But I think a lot of people separate the University from the athletic program, and if you believe that a lot of schools are doing the same thing, I guess that is understandable. At this point I think more people are upset about Silent Sam.