PDA

View Full Version : 2018-19 Undefeated Thread

Neals384
12-10-2018, 10:23 PM
OK, it's time to start our annual countdown of the unbeatens. Gonzaga went down yesterday, so there are 9 left. Here they are along with their schedule thru 12/31/2018. Except for Virginia and Michigan, everyone has at least one top 100 opponent, so we may lose 3 or 4 teams from the list by New Years.

Rankings are per kenpom. (Where I omit the kenpom rank, it's lower than that team's other opponents.)

[2] Kansas (8-0). 12/15 vs. [16] Villanova, 12/22 at [43] Ariz. St. Also face S Dakota and E. Mich.

[3] Virginia (9-0). 12/19 at [103] South Carolina. Also face William & Mary and Marshall.

[4] Michigan (10-0). Games against [221] Western Mich., Air Force and Binghamton.

[5] Nevada (10-0). Games against [80] S Dakota St. and [125] Akron, then a Pac-12 matchup at [128] Utah.

[12] Texas Tech (8-0). 12/20 vs. [1] Duke. Also play Northwestern St., [169] Abilene Christian and Rio Grande.

[34] Buffalo (9-0). 12/18 at [18] Syracuse, 12/21 at [35] Marquette. Also play So. Illinois and Canisius.

[36] Houston (8-0). 12/12 vs. [49] LSU, 12/16 vs. [72] St. Louis, 12/20 vs. [58] Utah St. Also play NJIT and Coppin St.

[53] St. John's (9-0). 12/29 at [56] Seton Hall. Before that, they have games vs. Wagner, St. Francis and Sacred Heart.

[115] Furman 12/21 at [49] LSU, 12/29 at [129] E. Tennessee St. Before that, they warm up against Charleston Southern and UNC Wilmington.

Saratoga2
12-11-2018, 08:29 AM
OK, it's time to start our annual countdown of the unbeatens. Gonzaga went down yesterday, so there are 9 left. Here they are along with their schedule thru 12/31/2018. Except for Virginia and Michigan, everyone has at least one top 100 opponent, so we may lose 3 or 4 teams from the list by New Years.

Rankings are per kenpom. (Where I omit the kenpom rank, it's lower than that team's other opponents.)

[2] Kansas (8-0). 12/15 vs. [16] Villanova, 12/22 at [43] Ariz. St. Also face S Dakota and E. Mich.

[3] Virginia (9-0). 12/19 at [103] South Carolina. Also face William & Mary and Marshall.

[4] Michigan (10-0). Games against [221] Western Mich., Air Force and Binghamton.

[5] Nevada (10-0). Games against [80] S Dakota St. and [125] Akron, then a Pac-12 matchup at [128] Utah.

[12] Texas Tech (8-0). 12/20 vs. [1] Duke. Also play Northwestern St., [169] Abilene Christian and Rio Grande.

[34] Buffalo (9-0). 12/18 at [18] Syracuse, 12/21 at [35] Marquette. Also play So. Illinois and Canisius.

[36] Houston (8-0). 12/12 vs. [49] LSU, 12/16 vs. [72] St. Louis, 12/20 vs. [58] Utah St. Also play NJIT and Coppin St.

[53] St. John's (9-0). 12/29 at [56] Seton Hall. Before that, they have games vs. Wagner, St. Francis and Sacred Heart.

[115] Furman 12/21 at [49] LSU, 12/29 at [129] E. Tennessee St. Before that, they warm up against Charleston Southern and UNC Wilmington.

I would be extremely surprised if more than 3 teams get through January undefeated and none ge through by March madness.

richardjackson199
12-11-2018, 09:33 AM
I would be extremely surprised if more than 3 teams get through January undefeated and none ge through by March madness.

Nevada has a schedule to potentially get it done. They have already beaten Arizona State and don't really play anybody else of consequence until the NCAA Tourney.

JasonEvans
12-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Nevada has a schedule to potentially get it done. They have already beaten Arizona State and don't really play anybody else of consequence until the NCAA Tourney.

Yeah, there is a decent chance that Nevada will enter the NCAA tourney having not played a single other tournament team. All their games against power conference opponents have been against middle-of-the-pack teams from the Pac12 (Az St, Utah, and USC) and the Pac12 is really bad this year (I suspect it will only get like 3-4 bids). BYU is nothing special this season. The rest of the Mountain West (Nevada's conference) are not teams that project to get an at-large bid.

Nevada will probably lose, but there is probably at least a 10% chance they make it to the tourney undefeated. Would that be enough to get them a #1 seed?

-Jason "I expect they will lose 1 game, probably to Utah State, and they will be a #2 seed" Evans

MChambers
12-11-2018, 10:35 AM

T-Rank predicts Nevada to go 28-3 in the regular season.

richardjackson199
12-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Nevada will probably lose, but there is probably at least a 10% chance they make it to the tourney undefeated. Would that be enough to get them a #1 seed?

-Jason "I expect they will lose 1 game, probably to Utah State, and they will be a #2 seed" Evans

IF Nevada is undefeated going into the Tourney, they will absolutely steal a #1 Seed. Hopefully they will drop at least one game before then. But they might not with that schedule.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2018, 06:26 PM
IF Nevada is undefeated going into the Tourney, they will absolutely steal a #1 Seed. Hopefully they will drop at least one game before then. But they might not with that schedule.

Let's see how they react if they enter the NCAA with a big target on their back. I mean, they are legit team, but they're not used to being "the hunted" on a national scale. Takes a while to get used to that. As a Duke fan, from before Coach K's time, I am well acquainted with that transition....as many others at DBR are as well.

Neals384
12-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Texas Tech goes down. 8 undefeated remain.

arnie
12-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Texas Tech goes down. 8 undefeated remain.

As much as our lack of OOC away schedule is criticized, why is UVA not trashed over their undefeated start? They’ve been a great reg season team for a number of years, yet this year their only notable games - mandated B1G against Maryland and neutral game against Wisconsin. Mostly cupcakes and game against Dayton sprinkled in. That’s a Herb Sendek schedule

Philadukie
12-21-2018, 08:05 AM
My gut tells me that Bobby Hurley’s squad comes through on Saturday.

JasonEvans
12-21-2018, 08:49 AM
As much as our lack of OOC away schedule is criticized, why is UVA not trashed over their undefeated start? They’ve been a great reg season team for a number of years, yet this year their only notable games - mandated B1G against Maryland and neutral game against Wisconsin. Mostly cupcakes and game against Dayton sprinkled in. That’s a Herb Sendek schedule

And they've played every directional/hyphenated/smallish school within 100 miles EXCEPT Maryland-Baltimore County!!

Towson
GW
Coppin St.
Maryland
Morgan St.
VCU
Bill and Mary
Marshall

--Jason "for shame!!" Evans

sagegrouse
12-21-2018, 11:49 AM

"My gut tells me that Bobby Hurley’s squad comes through against #1 Kansas on Saturday."

A couple of extra facts to keep clueless here from having to look up ASU's schedule. Also saw that ASU is the only ranked team in the PAC-12.

JasonEvans
12-21-2018, 02:04 PM
"My gut tells me that Bobby Hurley’s squad comes through against #1 Kansas on Saturday."

A couple of extra facts to keep clueless here from having to look up ASU's schedule. Also saw that ASU is the only ranked team in the PAC-12.

Worth noting that, despite the human polls liking them, KenPom says Bobby's guys are only the 49th best team in the land.

TruBlu
12-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Wojo takes on undefeated Buffalo on FS1 tonight at 8, if anyone is interested.

Marquette is favored by 4, I believe.

TruBlu
12-21-2018, 08:10 PM
^^^ Oops. Game time is 8:30.

DangerDevil
12-21-2018, 11:00 PM
Down to 6, take Furman and Buffalo off the list.

Neals384
12-21-2018, 11:20 PM

Yup. Two undefeated go down on the road:Furman falls to LSU 75 - 57
Buffalo falls to Marquette 103 - 85

6 undefeated remain

Saturday games:
Virginia (10-0) hosts (184) William & Mary
Michigan (11-0) hosts (254) Air Force
Nevada (11-0) hosts (122) Akron
Kansas (10-0) visits (49) Arizona State
St Johns (11-0) hosts (283) Sacred Heart

Sunday:
Houston (11-0) hosts winless (352) Coppin State

OZZIE4DUKE
12-21-2018, 11:48 PM
Yup. Two undefeated go down on the road:Furman falls to LSU 75 - 57
Buffalo falls to Marquette 103 - 85

-6 undefeated remain

Saturday games:
Virginia (10-0) hosts (184) William & Mary
Michigan (11-0) hosts (254) Air Force
Nevada (11-0) hosts (122) Akron
Kansas (10-0) visits (49) Arizona State
St Johns (11-0) hosts (283) Sacred Heart

Sunday:
Houston (11-0) hosts winless (352) Coppin State
We'll take care of Virginia and St. Johns during the regular season, and the others if we play them in the tournament. No undefeated teams this year, but Duke will go 39-1 through next April! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

curtis325
12-21-2018, 11:54 PM
We'll take care of Virginia and St. Johns during the regular season, and the others if we play them in the tournament. No undefeated teams this year, but Duke will go 39-1 through next April! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

I'll allow it.

House G
12-22-2018, 07:48 AM

In case you missed it, one of Marquette’s guards scored 40 points in the second half—the video is worth watching. His shooting was reminiscent of one JJ Redick.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401083252

camion
12-22-2018, 08:01 AM
In case you missed it, one of Marquette’s guards scored 40 points in the second half—the video is worth watching. His shooting was reminiscent of one JJ Redick.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401083252

I watched the second half of the second half. When I tuned in it was a one point game and two minutes later it was a ten point game. The highlights of Marcus Howard on ESPN aren't very different from the actual game. That is as hot as I've seen a college player for an extended period.

devildeac
12-22-2018, 08:11 AM

I want a slice of OzziePie.

Tripping William
12-22-2018, 08:36 AM
I want a slice of OzziePie.

Then win a wager. :o

jhmoss1812
12-22-2018, 01:45 PM

Because no one cares about UVA nationally

cakerace
12-22-2018, 11:10 PM
Thank you Bobby!

howardlander
12-22-2018, 11:12 PM
Scratch Kansas from the unbeaten list. Great finish for ASU and Bobby Hurley.

Neals384
12-22-2018, 11:14 PM

we could have a new #1!

DoubleDuke Dad
12-22-2018, 11:15 PM

And Duke will be #1!

YmoBeThere
12-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Nice to see Bobby get the win. Having gone to high school in Phoenix/Scottsdale back in the day, good college sports in the area was not the norm. What baffles me is how his team could have lost to Vandy just 5 days earlier. Sure, it was the back end of a two games in 3 days SEC swing for the Sun Devils, but they weren't exactly facing a murderer's row in Georgia and Vanderbilt, neither of whom I would project for the tournament right now.

Vandy laid an egg earlier in the day shooting just 32% in going down to KSU. What I'm really wondering in my mind is just how bad is my other alma mater?

OldPhiKap
12-23-2018, 08:15 AM

I hope you bought your gut a beer.

OldPhiKap
12-23-2018, 08:21 AM
Because no one cares about UVA nationally

Not sure that is the case. I imagine, though, that lots of teams don’t want to play UVa the same way teams don’t like playing option offenses in football. It’s such a different system to prepare against and it translates to few other opponents.

But I do not know if the lack of big name OOC opponents is a function of choice, or difficulty finding takers. Everyone knows that a game against UVa is likely to be a game against a highly-rated opponent which is always attractive.

I think a UVa-Auburn or -Tennessee game would be fascinating, for example.

jhmoss1812
12-23-2018, 10:04 AM
Not sure that is the case. I imagine, though, that lots of teams don’t want to play UVa the same way teams don’t like playing option offenses in football. It’s such a different system to prepare against and it translates to few other opponents.

But I do not know if the lack of big name OOC opponents is a function of choice, or difficulty finding takers. Everyone knows that a game against UVa is likely to be a game against a highly-rated opponent which is always attractive.

I think a UVa-Auburn or -Tennessee game would be fascinating, for example.

I’m saying the reason we’re not being trashed on our OOC schedule is because nobody cares about UVA enough to trash us. It’s a pathetic schedule for where we are as a program imo. Granted, the Battle 4 Atlantis had some good name programs that are currently not very good. But the rest of the schedule has been very meh. I’m not worried about being tested because of the ACC but I wish we were playing some of these top 10 matchups everyone else seems to be playing.

NSDukeFan
12-23-2018, 10:58 AM
we could have a new #1!

Potentially a team that’s been there before?

cakerace
12-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Didn't see that coming...

UVa1981
12-28-2018, 02:10 PM
I’m saying the reason we’re not being trashed on our OOC schedule is because nobody cares about UVA enough to trash us. It’s a pathetic schedule for where we are as a program imo. Granted, the Battle 4 Atlantis had some good name programs that are currently not very good. But the rest of the schedule has been very meh. I’m not worried about being tested because of the ACC but I wish we were playing some of these top 10 matchups everyone else seems to be playing.

It was trying to be a good schedule but Kismet intervened. As you note, the Battle 4 Atlantis has some good teams. The B1g Challenge can usually be counted on for a tough game. After that, Virginia played a number of team who either are good or usually are good, just not so much this year (and that's hard to anticipate when you're making up the schedule several years in advance): Wisconsin, VCU, Dayton, South Carolina. I don't object to Bennett scheduling a William & Mary inasmuch as it's an instate school. (Note to non-UVa fans: Bennett always wanted to play the big name schools when he was at Wisconsin-Green Bay, so his proclivity to schedule lesser instate schools is understandable.)

I agree we will get tested in the ACC, but I'd like to be tested before the ACC so as to be better prepared for the ACC. As it is, our only real tests so far are Maryland and Wisconsin, though the game at Maryland is encouraging.

I will say that Duke has really taken on all comers: Kentucky, Auburn, Gonzaga, Indiana, and Texas Tech. You should be more than ready for the ACC.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-28-2018, 04:13 PM
I will say that Duke has really taken on all comers: Kentucky, Auburn, Gonzaga, Indiana, and Texas Tech. You should be more than ready for the ACC.

No no, haven't you heard? Duke hasn't been tested since they have played no "real" road games.........

OldPhiKap
12-28-2018, 08:56 PM
It was trying to be a good schedule but Kismet intervened. As you note, the Battle 4 Atlantis has some good teams. The B1g Challenge can usually be counted on for a tough game. After that, Virginia played a number of team who either are good or usually are good, just not so much this year (and that's hard to anticipate when you're making up the schedule several years in advance): Wisconsin, VCU, Dayton, South Carolina. I don't object to Bennett scheduling a William & Mary inasmuch as it's an instate school. (Note to non-UVa fans: Bennett always wanted to play the big name schools when he was at Wisconsin-Green Bay, so his proclivity to schedule lesser instate schools is understandable.)

I agree we will get tested in the ACC, but I'd like to be tested before the ACC so as to be better prepared for the ACC. As it is, our only real tests so far are Maryland and Wisconsin, though the game at Maryland is encouraging.

UVA is rightly a top four team, and I have no problem with them as #1 in whichever poll has them there ahead of us. And as painful as the tourney loss was last year for them, that is likely to make them quite resolute this go-round.

#respect

duke74
12-30-2018, 08:40 AM
St. John’s fell last night. Now 12-1. Posted in the “elsewhere” thread.

Tough loss for Chris Mullin and the guys. Should have won this but it’s still an L.

curtis325
12-30-2018, 09:29 AM
St. John’s fell last night. Now 12-1. Posted in the “elsewhere” thread.

Tough loss for Chris Mullin and the guys. Should have won this but it’s still an L.

Another one bites the dust.

Neals384
12-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Four teams remain. This week’s schedule (kenpom numbers in parens):

Michigan (12-0)
Jan 3 vs. (45) Penn St
Jan 6 vs (24) Indiana

Virginia (12-0)
Dec 31 vs. (131) Marshall
Jan 5 vs. (16) Florida St.

Nevada (12-0)
Jan 2 vs. (47) Utah St
Jan 5 at (185) New Mexico

Houston (13-0)
Jan 2 vs. (125) Tulsa
Jan 6 vs. (102) Memphis

Wahoo2000
12-30-2018, 07:43 PM
Four teams remain. This week’s schedule (kenpom numbers in parens):

Michigan (12-0)
Jan 3 vs. (45) Penn St
Jan 6 vs (24) Indiana

Virginia (12-0)
Dec 31 vs. (131) Marshall
Jan 5 vs. (16) Florida St.

Nevada (12-0)
Jan 2 vs. (47) Utah St
Jan 5 at (185) New Mexico

Houston (13-0)
Jan 2 vs. (125) Tulsa
Jan 6 vs. (102) Memphis

Gonna go out on one of the sturdiest limbs of all time and predict Nevada will be the final remaining unbeaten. Only real question is whether that will last into March or not.

Faustus
12-30-2018, 10:34 PM
How did St. John's blow that game? I left it with maybe 5 minutes to go and what looked like a comfortable 6-8 point lead for them, and they seemed to have matters under control. Seton Hall wasn't exactly burning the nets either. Huh. Oh well... See them down the road.

gep
12-30-2018, 10:37 PM
How did St. John's blow that game? I left it with maybe 5 minutes to go and what looked like a comfortable 6-8 point lead for them, and they seemed to have matters under control. Seton Hall wasn't exactly burning the nets either. Huh. Oh well... See them down the road.

This is why I don't think there will be ANY unbeaten teams by March. ANYTHING can happen... (at least, I hope there are no unbeatens... I don't know why I really feel that way :cool:)

duke74
12-30-2018, 10:53 PM

From my other post.

“Questionable call near the end of the game (disallowing a steal on an inbounds play) allowed the Pirates to win the game on a last second three, but SJ missed the front end of a couple of 1 and 1s, and also let a lead slip away.”

No excuse, but had the refs not blown it, SJ would have had the ball, not SH. And the three wouldn’t have decided it. That being said, shouldn’t have let it come down to it.

Will be interesting to see the campus reaction on the 2nd when school reopens. Students back on the 23nd.

Neals384
01-05-2019, 11:02 PM
Nevada loses by 27 at New Mexico! Three teams remain.

BandAlum83
01-05-2019, 11:02 PM
Nevada loses by 27 at New Mexico! Three teams remain.

Crash.......Burn......

uh_no
01-05-2019, 11:44 PM
Crash...Burn...

<mushroom cloud GIF>

Native
01-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Gonna go out on one of the sturdiest limbs of all time and predict Nevada will be the final remaining unbeaten. Only real question is whether that will last into March or not.

About that... :p

uh_no
01-06-2019, 12:05 AM
they dropped 2 points off each their O and D efficiency.

JasonEvans
01-06-2019, 12:33 AM
I know The Pit is a storied college basketball arena, but New Mexico is not very good this year. Even after this huge win, Pom has them as the #145 team in the country. Considering Nevada will have no more games against top 40 teams to prove they can play with the big boys, I see this loss as being disqualifying for Nevada in terms of a #1 seed. I don't care if they run the table from here out, losing by 25+ to the #145 team and then not playing any other tournament competition means you don't get to sit on the top line.

-Jason "I say Nevada must run the table to get a #2 and if they lose again, they are a #3 or #4" Evans

richardjackson199
01-06-2019, 12:50 AM
I know The Pit is a storied college basketball arena, but New Mexico is not very good this year. Even after this huge win, Pom has them as the #145 team in the country. Considering Nevada will have no more games against top 40 teams to prove they can play with the big boys, I see this loss as being disqualifying for Nevada in terms of a #1 seed. I don't care if they run the table from here out, losing by 25+ to the #145 team and then not playing any other tournament competition means you don't get to sit on the top line.

-Jason "I say Nevada must run the table to get a #2 and if they lose again, they are a #3 or #4" Evans

Agreed and I love it. I was worried Nevada might steal a #1 seed by winning against a weak schedule. Nevada now will not be a 1 seed, nor should they be. Hopefully Duke will earn one this year. Hopefully we're due.

Wahoo2000
01-06-2019, 12:52 AM
About that... :p

And..... THAT'S why they play the games. Man, I don't get much more wrong than that! Happy to reverse-jinx them. Now if I can just similarly curse Michigan and Houston....... ;-)

Wahoo2000
01-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Agreed and I love it. I was worried Nevada might steal a #1 seed by winning against a weak schedule. Nevada now will not be a 1 seed, nor should they be. Hopefully Duke will earn one this year. Hopefully we're due.

There was never any way, once Gonzaga dropped a couple games, that BOTH they and Nevada would get #1 seeds, but I believe that one of them almost certainly WILL. Guessing it'll end up Zags #1 in the west, and Nevada #2 in the west (even if they have one more hiccup between them).

Right now, I'd guess that some pool of 6 teams from Kansas, Duke, Michigan, UVA, Tennessee, Michigan St, VT, UNC, TT, Iowa St, Auburn, KY will make up the 1s and 2s in the east/south/midwest

arnie
01-06-2019, 07:48 AM
There was never any way, once Gonzaga dropped a couple games, that BOTH they and Nevada would get #1 seeds, but I believe that one of them almost certainly WILL. Guessing it'll end up Zags #1 in the west, and Nevada #2 in the west (even if they have one more hiccup between them).

Right now, I'd guess that some pool of 6 teams from Kansas, Duke, Michigan, UVA, Tennessee, Michigan St, VT, UNC, TT, Iowa St, Auburn, KY will make up the 1s and 2s in the east/south/midwest

I seriously doubt VT (did you mean Vermont?) �� is higher than a 4 seed at year end.

BlueDevil2K
01-09-2019, 10:30 PM
And then there were two...Houston goes down:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401084757

Neals384
01-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Michigan loses at Wisconsin, leaving VA as the final undefeated. Hopefully we will be able to close this thread later today.

P.s. Wisconsin also takes possession of the Walton Belt.

curtis325
01-19-2019, 08:11 PM
And then there were none.

richardjackson199
01-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Lock it down. :cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-19-2019, 10:41 PM
And then there were none.

Quite satisfying way to wrap this up.

camion
01-20-2019, 12:08 AM
And the ‘72 Dolphins pop the cork...

Oh wait.

pfrduke
01-20-2019, 12:21 AM
And the ‘72 Dolphins pop the cork...

Oh wait.

The ‘76 Hoosiers?

uh_no
01-20-2019, 12:21 AM
The ‘76 Hoosiers?

secretariat?

Tripping William
01-20-2019, 06:44 AM
secretariat?

1991 UNLV. Oh, hold up ..... :D

84Duke
01-20-2019, 06:49 AM
secretariat?

The one athlete everyone rooted for. I did have sympathy for the second-fastest horse in the world, who finished 30 lengths behind.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2019, 07:58 AM
The UConn women went undefeated through back-to-back seasons I think.