PDA

View Full Version : Jack White Quote

TKG
12-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Fellow DBR-types:

I read an amazing quote from Jack White which was posted to Instagram. I tried like crazy to pull the old copy/cut/paste to no avail. Below, I have transcribed his quote:

“I’m just trying to do my bit, whether that’s hitting a three, getting a dunk, or rebounding. I’m just out here trying to win and have fun playing with my guys. We have such a fun team, we have such a great group of guys, and it’s a pleasure to play for Coach and with these guys and in front of the fans in Cameron - - a building with such history...I’m just very fortunate and thankful for the position I’m in, so I just try to make the most of it.”

Just Wow!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 12:39 PM
....as if we needed another reason to love Jack White!!!

Seriously though, thanks for posting!!!!

kAzE
12-10-2018, 02:17 PM
I was talking with my mother about this Duke team the other day (she's not a big sports fan), and she actually knew who Jack White is. That got me thinking: I wonder how high on the list Jack White is now for most recognizable Australian athletes in the world.

Probably way higher than he should be for his level of talent. There's probably good chance right now that he's more famous than other basketball players such as Matthew Dellevadova or Joe Ingles. Aron Baynes is probably more famous due to playing for the Celtics, but Jack might be nearing that level.

Both Zion and Duke are like super steroids for your visibility.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-10-2018, 02:29 PM
I was talking with my mother about this Duke team the other day (she's not a big sports fan), and she actually knew who Jack White is. That got me thinking: I wonder how high on the list Jack White is now for most recognizable Australian athletes in the world.

Probably way higher than he should be for his level of talent. There's probably good chance right now that he's more famous than other basketball players such as Matthew Dellevadova or Joe Ingles. Aron Baynes is probably more famous due to playing for the Celtics, but Jack might be nearing that level.

Well.... Assuming anyone else in the world is paying attention to our college basketball. I suspect the post popular/recognizable Australian athlete is some rugby player I am ignorant of.

kAzE
12-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Well... Assuming anyone else in the world is paying attention to our college basketball. I suspect the post popular/recognizable Australian athlete is some rugby player I am ignorant of.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's anywhere close to the most famous, I was just wondering where he is on the list. But you're right . . . since people only really watch college sports in the US, I should probably have qualified it with "most famous Australian athletes in the United States"

Yet, despite college basketball not really being a thing outside of this country, Zion is still a worldwide phenomenon. But he was already that even before he came to Duke.

CDu
12-10-2018, 02:33 PM
I wonder how high on the list Jack White is now for most recognizable Australian athletes in the world.

I am gonna guess White is comfortably less known than Dellavedova actually. A college backup role-player with less than two months’ worth of career relevance compared with a backup role player who played a major supporting role in multiple NBA playoff series and NBA Finals (the NBA is way more watched worldwide than any college game other than the national title game). And I am not even sure how well-known he is among college b-ball fans nationwide, whereas any remotely cognizant NBA fan over the past 5 years knows Delly.

White is also going to probably be fairly low on the list relative to star cricket players, and top-level golfers like Jason Day, and such. Not to mention NBAers like Ben Simmons, Patty Mills, etc.

That said, White is certainly doing himself proud.

JasonEvans
12-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Not that it is anything close to a perfect measure of "fame" but here are the twitter followers of several Aussie basketball players:

Ben Simmons - 734,000
Patty Mills - 405,000
Andrew Bogut - 374,000
Matthew Delavadova - 188,000
Joe Ingles - 136,000
Dante Exum - 69.900
Aron Baynes - 68,900
Thon Maker - 49,800
Jack White - 8,346

So, ummm, yeah... I think Jack ain't that well known yet.

-Jason "side note -- if the Aussies ever really got together and played like a team (Exum, Maker and Simmons skipped the 2016 Olympics), they'd clearly be one of the top few national teams in the world" Evans

DU82
12-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Not that it is anything close to a perfect measure of "fame" but here are the twitter followers of several Aussie basketball players:

Ben Simmons - 734,000
Patty Mills - 405,000
Andrew Bogut - 374,000
Joe Ingles - 136,000
Dante Exum - 69.900
Aron Baynes - 68,900
Thon Maker - 49,800
Jack White - 8,346

-Jason "side note -- if the Aussies ever really got together and played like a team (Exum, Maker and Simmons skipped the 2016 Olympics), they'd clearly be one of the top few national teams in the world" Evans

Where's Kyrie on this list?

CrazyNotCrazie
12-10-2018, 03:28 PM

Ben Simmons - 734,000
Patty Mills - 405,000
Andrew Bogut - 374,000
Joe Ingles - 136,000
Dante Exum - 69.900
Aron Baynes - 68,900
Thon Maker - 49,800
Jack White - 8,346

Kyrie was also born there so could be considered Aussie, though by having already played for the USA team I believe he is no longer eligible to switch.

rasputin
12-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Kyrie was also born there so could be considered Aussie, though by having already played for the USA team I believe he is no longer eligible to switch.

Well, with the Earth being flat and everything, . . .

budwom
12-10-2018, 03:43 PM
you have to be careful with a lot of these quotes since they were translated from the original Australian...

JetpackJesus
12-10-2018, 03:49 PM
you have to be careful with a lot of these quotes since they were translated from the original Australian...

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on budwom again. :(

elvis14
12-10-2018, 04:00 PM
I've talked up Jack White so much that my friend who watches Duke games with me just says "There's your guy again" every time Jack grabs another board or makes another hustle play.

I love this quote. Saw it this morning on Twitter.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Well, with the Earth being flat and everything, . . .

Whole new meaning to "down under"....

sagegrouse
12-10-2018, 04:03 PM

I am reminded of the discussion in New Zealand about ten years ago about the most highly paid Kiwi athlete. Several semi-serious commentators with a sense of humor thought it might be Steve Williams, who was then Tiger Woods' caddie.

The "reflected glory of Zion" covers the world!!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 04:06 PM
I am reminded of the discussion in New Zealand about ten years ago about the most highly paid Kiwi athlete. Several semi-serious commentators with a sense of humor thought it might be Steve Williams, who was then Tiger Woods' caddie.

The "reflected glory of Zion" covers the world!!

There were years when caddie Williams would have been one of the top ten PGA golfers in earnings.......