PDA

View Full Version : Miami Lateralization

75Crazie
12-09-2018, 05:28 PM
What is it with Miami and game-ending desperation lateral plays, anyway? At least the Fins appeared to pull it off today without committing any fouls or violations, which is something the U will never ever be able to claim.

uh_no
12-09-2018, 05:32 PM
What is it with Miami and game-ending desperation lateral plays, anyway? At least the Fins appeared to pull it off today without committing any fouls or violations, which is something the U will never ever be able to claim.

the dolphins did something for the good of the world today.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-09-2018, 05:40 PM

I posted almost the exact same thing on the NFL forum in Off-Topic....

duke96
12-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Seemed to me if Gronk had focused cutting off the sideline (and forcing the runner to the middle of the field where he had help) that play ends in a tackle.

JetpackJesus
12-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Seemed to me if Gronk had focused cutting off the sideline (and forcing the runner to the middle of the field where he had help) that play ends in a tackle.
He probably had something like that in mind, but he fell because he's not a DB.

I am glad he was on the field for that play.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 04:05 PM

Seems to me if Coach Bill had done the math....he'd have known that this was not going to be a Hail Mary pass. That's what Gronk was in there for, his height, to knock down a Hail Mary. That would have required something like a 75 yards in the air pass. LOS was the 31. Big time coaching mistake here. A very fast sure tackler was on the sidelines as a result.

lotusland
12-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Didn’t see any football scores or highlights but guess this famous play was referenced ?
https://youtu.be/LUHqAxXjSs8

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Didn’t see any football scores or highlights but guess this famous play was referenced ?

No, and I''m guessing it's because that was end of half, not end of game.

moonpie23
12-10-2018, 05:02 PM
such a beautiful play.....

lotusland
12-10-2018, 05:15 PM

Yeah but 1981 was a playoff game and the Fins came back from 24 down. That play changed how last second plays are defended (at least until this week when the Pats put Gronk in at safety in a similar situation). Definitely Don Strock’s high point after backing up Griese for years.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Yeah but 1981 was a playoff game and the Fins came back from 24 down. That play changed how last second plays are defended (at least until this week when the Pats put Gronk in at safety in a similar situation). Definitely Don Strock’s high point after backing up Griese for years.

Oh I agree it was ground breaking, and I would also have expected that play to have resurfaced. In fact, I don't think the hook and ladder (lateral) play has ever worked that easily since. That brought attention to it.

And good ole Don Strock.....back when VT were the Gobblers.....

Rich
12-10-2018, 05:31 PM

such a beautiful play...

I grew up a HUGE Miami Dolphins fan and I had a bad temper as a kid. I remember that game like it was yesterday. Down big in the first half with the ol' hook and ladder bringing the Fins back within striking distance as the half ended. Alas, I'm pretty sure Miami lost that game (was it in OT?), on a last second Rolf Benirschke field goal...and I totaled my bedroom.

lotusland
12-10-2018, 08:37 PM
I grew up a HUGE Miami Dolphins fan and I had a bad temper as a kid. I remember that game like it was yesterday. Down big in the first half with the ol' hook and ladder bringing the Fins back within striking distance as the half ended. Alas, I'm pretty sure Miami lost that game (was it in OT?), on a last second Rolf Benirschke field goal...and I totaled my bedroom.

Kinda like the Capel buzzer beater against the Cheats. The heroics obscured the outcome.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Kinda like the Capel buzzer beater against the Cheats. The heroics obscured the outcome.

...in the case of Capel and the buzzer beater.....it obscured the outcome of the entire sorry season.......when that is replayed, it hardly evokes the same kind of feeling as the Laettner shot......

devildeac
12-11-2018, 01:46 PM
...in the case of Capel and the buzzer beater...it obscured the outcome of the entire sorry season...when that is replayed, it hardly evokes the same kind of feeling as the Laettner shot...

Plus, Capel's and Laettner's shots occurred before any knees were down and without any illegal screens, err, blocks. :mad: