PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of your DBR username?

Pages : [1] 2

dudog84
12-08-2018, 10:08 AM
This idea came from sagegrouse’s post in another thread, and devildeac and Tripping William liked the idea (therefore I expect them to share their story), so here goes:

dudog84 = Duke University Department of Geology, Class of ’84.

Alas, we are no more, because it now has some high falutin’ name like division of earth and ocean sciences.

We had the best t-shirts on campus, a favorite being ‘Subduction leads to Orogeny’. Get your minds out of the gutter, we included a drawing of a plate boundary. :)

We also had one of the all-time great bridge paintings (the department was on East back then). It showed each of the geology professors as one of the seven dwarfs, pickaxes and all. It was so well-respected that no one painted over it for a very long time (with respect to the normal bridge painting life span).

Who’s next?

Rich
12-08-2018, 11:35 AM
as far you know, it's my first name. nothing more, nothing less.

BandAlum83
12-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Self evident.

House P
12-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Self evident.

You have been wearing an aluminum watch band since 1983? :cool:

My username, the dorm I lived in for a couple years, is similarly straightforward. In retrospect, this might not have been such a wise choice, considering that this forum already had a "House G". So, apologies to House G for (unknowingly) stealing your idea.

JasonEvans
12-08-2018, 12:14 PM
My real name is Armando McMahon. I have no idea why I chose this username.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2018, 12:21 PM
My real name (Jason Evans) was already taken.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Mine is a reference to my current home of Asheville, NC (Beer/Bear City, USA!) and then a string of random numbers.

Tripping William
12-08-2018, 01:01 PM
as far you know, it's my first name. nothing more, nothing less.

And all this time I thought it was a commentary on your fancy car and your bank account. :p

Tripping William
12-08-2018, 01:04 PM
My given name is William, but I go by everything from Will to Bill to Billy. And I have been on this board longer than Grayson Allen has been a loose-limbed recidivist.

User name explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUuYkMHV4w

Avatar explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp3KWrn-VzU

Signature explanation here (with a hat-tip to Jason Williams's gutting of the Terps at Cole): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHrewb_8rKg

Tripping William
12-08-2018, 01:06 PM
My real name is Armando McMahon. I have no idea why I chose this username.

I would have guessed Inigo Montoya.

camion
The full name is Camion de Sable. He helped me with my typing for sixteen years from 1992-2008. Whenever I was at the keyboard he was there to assist/correct so it seemed appropriate that he should receive credit.

BLPOG
Mine is the acronym for a phrase that equates to MVP, used for a sport played by my fraternity chapter at Duke and selected as an easy way to say "Hi" to my brothers on the board. I suppose I could explain the acronym, but I think I'll leave a little mystery instead.

cato
12-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Mine is a reference to my current home of Asheville, NC (Beer/Bear City, USA!) and then a string of random numbers.

May your name be ever expanding

OZZIE4DUKE
12-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Um, well, DUH!

As for my signature, it's a combination of a title bestowed upon me by another poster, my http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif religious belief http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif, and my promotion of Throaty's Handy Pocket Reference! LGD! GTHc! 9F!

Nick
12-08-2018, 01:31 PM
"My dad thought of it while he was shaving."
--Famous rock star Nick Rivers

Rich
12-08-2018, 02:32 PM
And all this time I thought it was a commentary on your fancy car and your bank account. :p

Well, I did say as far as you know.

Mike Corey
12-08-2018, 02:51 PM
I can't remember why I opted not to be anonymous but so it goes.

PSurprise
12-08-2018, 02:51 PM
My name is a shortened version of a nickname a classmate gave me in Alspaugh in 1998-Patricksurprise. That's just too long to write; so Voila!

Green Wave Dukie
12-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Tulane University grad. No Duke affiliation until moving to NC in 2005.

I'll wait for the 'How did you become a Duke fan' thread to tell that story, which IMHO, is a good one.

Billy Dat
12-08-2018, 03:15 PM
In 2007, there was a very short lived VH1 reality show called "The White Rapper Show" where MC Serch of 3rd Bass fame put 10 wanna-be rappers, who were all Caucasian, through their paces in the classic live together-do challenges-eliminate-one-per-week format. I love hip hop and have an extreme predilection for low brow reality show fare. This show was made for me. The contestants all had MC monikers, "Jus Rhyme", $hamrock, Dasit, etc. I pondered what my MC name would be. On one particular episode, as befits the formula, two of the MCs were beefing with each other over some BS back at the house. They were in each other's faces and it was getting extremely heated and one kept punctuating every statement/threat he made with, "Believe that!" For example,"Imma come for you when you aint lookin'! Believe that! Believe that!" But the way he was saying it made it sound drawn out in a street-influenced accent.

Believe that! Buhlee That. Buhlee Dat......thus was born...Billy Dat. The show was on in 2007, I joined in 2007.

devildeac
12-08-2018, 03:17 PM
devil (Trinity '76)
deac (WFU School of Medicine '81)

Avatar-I'm an old curmudgeon who likes that ale

Signature-directed at both 23 years of cheating and the feckless organization In The Annapolis who refused to punish the lying bastards

Fun stuff. Thanks to dudog84 for suggesting and starting!

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2018, 03:20 PM
My dad had season tickets ever since I was too young to remember, so I grew up going to games in Cameron (and coming home with splinters in my butt from Wallace Wade).

curtis325
12-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Not my name in real life. Just a nom de guerre.

fuse
12-08-2018, 04:19 PM
I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you. 🤣🤣🤣

accfanfrom1970
12-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Older sister went to Duke in the 70’s, which was when I started following Duke b-ball.

cato
12-08-2018, 05:07 PM
I can't remember why I opted not to be anonymous but so it goes.

It’s what the cool kids do.

PackMan97
12-08-2018, 06:36 PM
Wolfpack fan
male
1997 grad

PackMan97

killerleft
12-08-2018, 06:41 PM
The Shoestring Play gave Duke a 14-7 lead in a 17-13 Blue Devil home football win over UNC in 1969.

QB Leo Hart bent over to tie his shoe after a run toward the Duke bench, which was designed to hopefully keep the Tar Heel coaches and players from alerting their team that we were playing a funny trick on them. It worked splendidly!

Players milled around waiting on Leo to take charge of the huddle, but were careful to mosey into a legal formation just long enough for flanker Marcel Courtillot to scoop the football to Wes Chesson.

The future broadcast mate of Bob Harris skeedaddled left to skirt the ignorant (yep, then too) Tar Heel huddle. By the time the Sheep realized what was unfolding, Mr. Chesson was way too close to the open end of the famous Wallace Wade horseshoe and paydirt for them to do anything but bleat in frustration.

Someone (can't remember who) revealed that they called the play "killer left" during the practicing of it, and I always liked that name better.

JBDuke
12-08-2018, 07:53 PM
If you feel so inclined, feel free to include this info on the "About Me" tab in your DBR Profile page.

Faustus
12-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Avoided the internet world for as long as I could (2000) but finally sold my soul to the Devil, a la Dr. Faustus

CrazyNotCrazie
12-08-2018, 08:04 PM
One of my many pet peeves were t-shirts at Duke that said “Cameron Crazie.” The singular of Cameron Crazies should be Cameron Crazy. Hence CrazyNotCrazie. I am still unclear why I thought this was so important as to become my Username but here we are.

duke74
12-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Obvious answer.

Dudog: I was a geo major as well. Remember the basement of the art museum very well. And time with sand between my toes at the Marine Lab. Orrin was my advisor (“Let the lighthouse fall in.”)

OldPhiKap
12-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Obvious answer.

Dudog: I was a geo major as well. Remember the basement of the art museum very well. And time with sand between my toes at the Marine Lab. Orrin was my advisor (“Let the lighthouse fall in.”)

The best place to access the tunnels on East in the mid-80’s was under the art museum. Could get all the way down to the power plant on the other side of the bridge from there.

Or, so I’m told at least.

weezie
12-08-2018, 09:12 PM
When George and I moved on up to the east side, we finally saw our piece of the pie, yet I remained, humbly, weezie.

El_Diablo
12-08-2018, 10:04 PM
It's like...Spanish for like a fighting chicken.

OldPhiKap
12-08-2018, 10:05 PM
It's like...Spanish for like a fighting chicken.

Shake and bake.

LasVegas
12-08-2018, 10:17 PM
I’m a sinner or I live in Las Vegas. Something like that.

BLPOG
12-08-2018, 11:20 PM
The best place to access the tunnels on East in the mid-80’s was under the art museum. Could get all the way down to the power plant on the other side of the bridge from there.

Or, so I’m told at least.

Could you elaborate on this? What was the art museum? I associate "art museum" with the Nasher, which wouldn't fit. I know what the steam plant was. (Did it make anything other than steam? I always referred to it as the "steam plant" because that was what my dad called it at some point; students during my era didn't know what it was until it was renovated into a new space - I think an art studio, actually)

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2018, 11:45 PM
I’m a sinner or I live in Las Vegas. Something like that.

Only "or"?

YmoBeThere
12-09-2018, 07:41 AM
I was one of many Brians growing up so was more often known by part of my last name. As tribute to my future greatness, James Ingram assisted by Michael McDonald would sing about me (at the ripe old age of 12), in his Top 20 song, Yah Mo Be There.

For some reason, when setting up my screenname I "misspelled" the nickname part as Ymo instead of Yamo. Like many of my posts, probably fitting, I didn't bother to correct it.

Bluedog
12-09-2018, 08:00 AM
In 1997, when AOL instant messenger came out, I was intrigued by the work of George Rodrigue, a Louisiana-artist who painted Cajun scenes as well as started to establish a series of works that included a artistic depiction of a dog he once had and painted it always Blue.

The Blue Dog first rose to fame when Absolut Vodka selected him to do Absolut Louisiana in 1992 and that became one of the most popular ones of all 50 states. I selected "Bluedog" with numbers as my screen name at the time. His blue dog series continued to get more prominence with a spot in Canon ads among other things. He later established a Rodrigue Foundation for the Arts and had initiatives for Katrina relief, during which he had to relocate his studios from Lafayette himself.

Unfortunately, Rodigue was diagnosed with lung cancer and died in 2013.

A poster here a couple years ago PM'ed me asking if my name came from Rodrigue's blue dog as he was a personal family friend of his.

So, my name including "blue" has nothing to do with Duke and I'm not called "dog" or obsessed with them in any ways. Just something I was interested in during the late 90s (did have the Absolut Louisiana lithograph in my house) and has become a screen name I use.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Could you elaborate on this? What was the art museum? I associate "art museum" with the Nasher, which wouldn't fit. I know what the steam plant was. (Did it make anything other than steam? I always referred to it as the "steam plant" because that was what my dad called it at some point; students during my era didn't know what it was until it was renovated into a new space - I think an art studio, actually)

I think it is known as the Friedl Building now, but was called something else when I was at Duke (forget what). Between Wilson and Aycock.

DukieInKansas
12-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Went to Duke
Lived in Kansas for 2 years in elementary school. After living 4 other places, the family returned to Kansas while I was at Duke. Opted to move back after graduation.

Avatar - Dorothy's shoes because there is no place like home.

Bob Green
12-09-2018, 09:14 AM
I would like to be able to post something noble like I use my name due to a disdain for anonymity on message boards -- own what you say -- but the truth is I lack creativity.

aimo
12-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Just a nickname bestowed upon me by a friend about 25 years ago.

duketaylor
12-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Also a nickname. Bestowed upon me by my good friend and golf instructor Rocky, who's a Md. grad and still calls me this today.

luvdahops
12-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Fondness for both "hop forward" beers (think West Coast IPAs) and basketball players that can really get off the floor

Clipsfan
12-09-2018, 11:50 AM
I don't remember why I changed my name around 2000-2001 but if pressed probably because I forgot my password and had the account linked to an email address I'd also forgotten how to access. In those days the Clippers were Duke west with Parks, Maggette, Brand etc. (later Ewing)and I was out in Los Angeles.

BandAlum83
12-09-2018, 01:51 PM
You have been wearing an aluminum watch band since 1983? :cool:

My username, the dorm I lived in for a couple years, is similarly straightforward. In retrospect, this might not have been such a wise choice, considering that this forum already had a "House G". So, apologies to House G for (unknowingly) stealing your idea.

A very limited edition Swatch watch from back in the day.

BandAlum83
12-09-2018, 01:56 PM
My given name is William, but I go by everything from Will to Bill to Billy

Can we call you Mac or Buddy, cuz I just wanna have a little fun before I die.

BandAlum83
12-09-2018, 02:00 PM
In 2007, there was a very short lived VH1 reality show called "The White Rapper Show" where MC Serch of 3rd Bass fame put 10 wanna-be rappers, who were all Caucasian, through their paces in the classic live together-do challenges-eliminate-one-per-week format. I love hip hop and have an extreme predilection for low brow reality show fare. This show was made for me. The contestants all had MC monikers, "Jus Rhyme", $hamrock, Dasit, etc. I pondered what my MC name would be. On one particular episode, as befits the formula, two of the MCs were beefing with each other over some BS back at the house. They were in each other's faces and it was getting extremely heated and one kept punctuating every statement/threat he made with, "Believe that!" For example,"Imma come for you when you aint lookin'! Believe that! Believe that!" But the way he was saying it made it sound drawn out in a street-influenced accent.

Believe that! Buhlee That. Buhlee Dat...thus was born...Billy Dat. The show was on in 2007, I joined in 2007.

Thanks, Hodor

Reilly
12-09-2018, 03:09 PM
The Shoestring Play gave Duke a 14-7 lead in a 17-13 Blue Devil home football win over UNC in 1969.

QB Leo Hart bent over to tie his shoe after a run toward the Duke bench, which was designed to hopefully keep the Tar Heel coaches and players from alerting their team that we were playing a funny trick on them. It worked splendidly!

Players milled around waiting on Leo to take charge of the huddle, but were careful to mosey into a legal formation just long enough for flanker Marcel Courtillot to scoop the football to Wes Chesson.

The future broadcast mate of Bob Harris skeedaddled left to skirt the ignorant (yep, then too) Tar Heel huddle. By the time the Sheep realized what was unfolding, Mr. Chesson was way too close to the open end of the famous Wallace Wade horseshoe and paydirt for them to do anything but bleat in frustration.

Someone (can't remember who) revealed that they called the play "killer left" during the practicing of it, and I always liked that name better.

Maybe it's Christmas, maybe it's the dying light, maybe it's the gin, but this brought a tear to my eye. Tom Harp gets a lot of grief on this board, but all sins are forgiven.

grad_devil
12-09-2018, 03:28 PM
I was in grad school at Duke and working at an internet startup with BillyBreen in 2000 when he pointed out DBR to me. Since I was in graduate school and Duke's mascot is the blue devils, I came up with the immensely imaginative handle grad_devil.

You're impressed. Admit it.

elvis14
12-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Always love it when this thread pops up every couple of years.

I've been playing sports for a very long time. 14 is my jersey number, bet you didn't know it came from a guy they used to call Charlie Hustle.
As for the elvis part, my real last name is Pressley.

I've used 'elvis14' on so many boards over the years (mr2.com, miata.net, nasioc, etc) that it's fun to Google it every now and then just to see where I've been.

(one exception, on IC I'm 'elvis9F')

wavedukefan70s
12-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Tulane University grad. No Duke affiliation until moving to NC in 2005.

I'll wait for the 'How did you become a Duke fan' thread to tell that story, which IMHO, is a good one.
I had hoped as a outside shot you may have been a summerville high grad.lol

My highschool mascot and duke mascot.plus the time I have been a fan of both.

Bostondevil
12-09-2018, 04:45 PM
My name actually has nothing to do with where I'm from or where I live. I'm from Durham originally. I thought, sports talk, I'll reference my two favorite sports teams. I thought Bostondevil sounded better than DukeRedSox or DukeBoSox. I also thought BoSoxandBlueDevils was too long. So - Bostondevil. But you can call me BD.

Reddevil
12-09-2018, 07:44 PM
My dad had season tickets ever since I was too young to remember, so I grew up going to games in Cameron (and coming home with splinters in my butt from Wallace Wade).

I love this one. My dad got his PhD at Duke (economics) and we lived at Poplar Apartments on Lambeth Circle in the late 60's. (67-68 I think). I took swimming lessons at those apartments and so began my love of water and swimming off the outer banks. We picked dad up each Day at the chapel. We got an Irish Setter puppy we named Duke Reddevil who lived 17 great years. I use his middle name to pay hommage to my fur brother. We went to Cameron and I was afraid of the Blue Devil and the noise. I also got splinters on those awful wooden bleachers at Wade. Somehow I still grew up a sports fan.

CDu
12-09-2018, 08:08 PM
An homage to a talented but troubled former Duke star and (at the time) Bulls backup and occasional starting PG.

Devilwin
12-10-2018, 06:05 AM
Duke fan all my life. Didn't go there (Uncle Sam had other plans) and envy you that did. But I have been a fan since I was ten, and since they are the Blue Devils, and they win frequently, it's Devilwin..Simple enough.:cool:

rasputin
12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Rasputin was one of our cats. He went to the Great Dairy Farm in the Sky many years ago.

snowdenscold
12-10-2018, 10:33 AM
After my AIM name from high school and college grew a bit dated, I settled on this rather callous Catch-22 reference, having recently re-read the book.

Of course, that was several years before a certain Edward with the same last name as Yossarian's radio-gunner made headlines. I probably should have changed at this point since most people might assume Edward is the reference, but I guess I'm lazy and stubborn.

CameronBornAndBred
12-10-2018, 10:37 AM
I also got splinters on those awful wooden bleachers at Wade. Somehow I still grew up a sports fan.

'Zactly!

"Hey kid, remember how we went to the doctor and he stuck needles in you? Wanna go back?"
"Nooooooooo!" with lots of crying.

"Hey kid, remember how we went to the games last year and you got a splinter almost every time? Wanna go back?"
"Hell yeah, Up The Middle, McGhee!!"

wilson
12-10-2018, 11:10 AM
I'm really into anthropomorphized sports equipment.

jacone21
12-10-2018, 02:26 PM
In the old days, when I was a student, a sysadmin gave me the username jac1 (my initials and a number), while setting up my first ever unix account. The username stuck with me over the years, as the www came to exist, and I lengthened it to jacone. When I created my DBR account, I really wanted the username "James" but it was maybe the first ever DBR username and was taken by Mr. Armstrong. So I went with jacone and added my high school jersey number, which was also the jersey number of my favorite player at the time, Trajan Langdon. I can't believe that's been over 20 years.

lmb
12-10-2018, 02:31 PM
I'm boring. It's my initials.

Now everyone can try to guess my name :)

left_hook_lacey
12-10-2018, 05:00 PM
In the late 90's/early 2,000's, my friends and I played a lot of Fight Night(formally known as Knockout Kings) on Playstation and Xbox. I had two boxers that I always used when I played against my friends and I rarely lost. Oba "The Motor City" Carr, and Jeff "Left Hook" Lacey. I was so good at the game that my friends starting calling me "left hook" even when we weren't playing the game. Given the time period, I found myself creating a lot of emails and usernames for things, so "left_hook_lacey" or some variation of it became my go to username.

The name resurfaced a few years later when we started playing a lot of poker. I was known for being a really slow/tight player that would tend to set up to win big pots with a sure thing rather than betting my way to a win. If I ever called or re-raised, they would say, "here comes the left hook."

HereBeforeCoachK
12-10-2018, 05:30 PM
It can be rough on an established forum when you are a noob....and I was clearly a noob on DBR (and still am compared to many). I was willing to put up with all the noob grief that comes with being new to a forum - but I wanted people to know that while I was new to DBR, I was NOT new to being a Duke fan. I welcome all the bandwagon fans who have jumped aboard the K train over the last several decades....but some of us (starting at a very young age) were suffering Duke fans before K.

devildm
12-10-2018, 05:31 PM
DUMB drum major during my time at Duke.

howardlander
12-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Well, I'm a computer scientist and I've got logins on a large number of sites, so I just use my name for that reason. But I have been tempted to change it to "HeWasRightThere". My first (of 100) Grateful Dead shows was Duke in 1978 when I was a freshman. To this day, every time I walk into Cameron I look down to where the stage was and think to myself "He was right there". He, of course, being Jerry Garcia.

Highlander
12-11-2018, 10:58 AM
I share a middle name with a pair of immortal Scotsmen - Duncan and Connor.

fuse
12-11-2018, 12:26 PM
I share a middle name with a pair of immortal Scotsmen - Duncan and Connor.

There can be only one.

I spent untold hours at Duke watching, and rewatching the Highlander. I had high hopes for this explanation for your username.

Much like the Matrix, there is only one Highlander movie. Please don’t try to convince me otherwise 🙄

Highlander
12-11-2018, 02:25 PM
There can be only one.

I spent untold hours at Duke watching, and rewatching the Highlander. I had high hopes for this explanation for your username.

Much like the Matrix, there is only one Highlander movie. Please don’t try to convince me otherwise 🙄

I actually enjoyed the TV series while it lasted. I never watched any of the sequels, and I consider myself lucky in that regard.

Also of interest, my wife so despised the name Connor that she blackballed it's use for any male children if they were to share my middle name. So we went with Cooper instead.

Turk
12-11-2018, 05:05 PM
I'm boring. It's my initials.

Now everyone can try to guess my name :)

By any chance, did you ever happen to be in St. Petersburg when you saw it was time for a change?

uh_no
12-11-2018, 06:41 PM
back when i first discovered I could bypass the parental controls on the AOL browser by simply opening internet explorer, I started reading the letsrun.com "world famous" message board. I realized I was an annoying little jerk who liked to be argumentative, and decided to embrace it and go by "uh_no."

Nothing had changed when I joined DBR in whatever year (likely for the express purpose of arguing with someone who I thought was wrong), so I figured why mess with what works!! (I forget what my exact first post was, but I know I got an infraction pretty quickly! I remember THAT post.)

I'd like to think i'm MILDLY more sane of a person these days, but I guess enough scotch can mellow anyone out :D :D

Just happy to be part of this community of great duke fans, and just people in general.

Pghdukie
12-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Hi ! My real name is Bill Walton, and I spent way too much time at the Grateful Dead concerts !

uh_no
12-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Hi ! My real name is Bill Walton, and I spent way too much time at the Grateful Dead concerts !
but dude, your way of ranking teams is the BEST

Indoor66
12-11-2018, 06:46 PM

I doubt it was the music. 😂

arnie
12-11-2018, 07:08 PM
Shortened from “Arnie Is Still King” after the King’s passing a few years ago. From golfing annals “I can beat that fat kid any day of the week” or something close to that.

DukeFanSince1990
12-11-2018, 07:15 PM
What a great thread. Mine is pretty straight forward though. Yep, not very creative.

BoiseDevil
12-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Believe that! Buhlee That. Buhlee Dat...thus was born...Billy Dat. The show was on in 2007, I joined in 2007.

WINNER

For me, the best city a Fuqua grad can live in!

Pghdukie
12-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Shortened from “Arnie Is Still King” after the King’s passing a few years ago. From golfing annals “I can beat that fat kid any day of the week” or something close to that.

The story goes, Arnie was in the Tabroom at Oakmont Sunday nite. He had just tied with Jack Nicklaus for the US OPEN Championship. They were going into an 18 hole Monday playoff, Arnie was getting a little hot under the collar when he stared at a few members and said "I can beat the fat kid from Columbus "
Nicklaus beat Palmer in the playoff-but a lifelong friendship began.
True Story.

rsvman
12-11-2018, 07:31 PM
I'm a pediatric ID physician. When I was in training at Vanderbilt and when I was on the faculty at Duke, I studied a respiratory virus called respiratory syncytial virus (shortened to RSV), trying desperately to find a treatment for this terrible disease.
Unfortunately, I failed miserably.
Still, I'm the RSV man.

Fish80
12-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Nickname & graduation year

On a road trip to Athens, doing some “fancy” driving, I was Rockford for a bit. Rockford became rockfish became fish.

gocanes0506
12-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Not an alumnus although I hope to get my Masters from Duke in the near future. I figured I would give the Canes some love with all the Duke handles (minus rich)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Not an alumnus although I hope to get my Masters from Duke in the near future. I figured I would give the Canes some love with all the Duke handles (minus rich)

Which Canes????

dukie’s_daughter
12-11-2018, 08:29 PM
...Daddy played football for DUKE in the 1950’s.

Remember going to Wallace Wade and watching the Blue Devil mascot climbing the goal posts...I also remember learning “Rip ‘em up , tear ‘em up, give, em hell, DUKE... ( and being absolutely positive I would never be allowed to cheer ‘that word’... so 6 year old me cheered “give ‘em hello, DUKE!”...those college kids were obviously not sitting beside their parents🙄❗️

My how times change: I taught my 2 yr. old granddaughter “to hell with carolina...” 😁

jgehtland
12-11-2018, 08:43 PM
I’ve been here long enough I had to change my handle back in ‘00. First initial is j, Gehtland is my married name. Maybe five or six people on here remember my original, “maiden” handle.

Gooch
12-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Pretty straightforward: my pledge name at Duke was Gooch.

I was told that the character "Gooch" was played by Andrew Dice Clay in an episode of Diff'rent Strokes and he was a bully who eventually shows his softer side. Urban legend was that the brothers decided someone from my pledge class had to be called "Gooch" and I didn't have a better name assigned to me so there you have it. I think everyone would say that I've show my softer side a lot but I don't think anyone has ever called me a bully...

My signature comes from a bar in St. Louis. All the servers wore t-shirts with famous beer related quotes and I liked this one the best. And I like beer a lot.

GGLC
12-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Mine is sort of a litmus test for how long someone has been posting at DBR. :)

The first person to say what it stands for earns a spork. :D

BlueTeuf
12-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Getting giddy, losing control

GGLC
12-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Getting giddy, losing control

Ding!

Now, for extra bonus points, can someone else remember what event first occasioned this phrase?

CameronBornAndBred
12-11-2018, 09:28 PM
I'm a pediatric ID physician. When I was in training at Vanderbilt and when I was on the faculty at Duke, I studied a respiratory virus called respiratory syncytial virus (shortened to RSV), trying desperately to find a treatment for this terrible disease.
Still, I'm the RSV man.
That's very cool, and I don't see how trying to do something noble can ever result in miserable failure.

DukieInBrasil
12-11-2018, 09:32 PM
I was in Brasil at the time i made my account name, and i am a Duke fan (not alum, although son, cousin and nephew to alumni).
Since then, i've returned to UGA for PhD school (although a lot of that time was spent in Brasil doing field work), finished that, and am now in Costa Rica. Somehow i didn't feel like changing my name for each move.

devilsadvocate85
12-11-2018, 09:49 PM
1985 Graduate - no further explanation required

dukelifer
12-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Came to Duke as a Ugrad and except for 2 years- have been on campus for all of my adult life.

gocanes0506
12-11-2018, 09:55 PM
Which Canes????

Specificity is a good thing. A big hockey fan here. Too bad they aren’t good anymore.

Mrduke21
12-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Aim username... Circa 1998 ish

fuse
12-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Still, I'm the RSV man.

Couldn’t spork you, so I will share publicly.

My second child had RSV shortly after he was born. We had to take him to the ER, and the attending physician made it pretty clear there were odds he might not live. I’ve never been more terrified, or prayed harder in my life.

I’ll just say with a single experience with RSV, I can’t imagine the level of courage and intestinal fortitude it would take to study and search for treatment.

We’ve never met, I’d call you a hero in my book.

azzefkram
12-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Aaaaaaand it's my name backwards. So epically yawn-worthy.

devildeac
12-11-2018, 10:39 PM
Pretty straightforward: my pledge name at Duke was Gooch.

I was told that the character "Gooch" was played by Andrew Dice Clay in an episode of Diff'rent Strokes and he was a bully who eventually shows his softer side. Urban legend was that the brothers decided someone from my pledge class had to be called "Gooch" and I didn't have a better name assigned to me so there you have it. I think everyone would say that I've show my softer side a lot but I don't think anyone has ever called me a bully...

My signature comes from a bar in St. Louis. All the servers wore t-shirts with famous beer related quotes and I liked this one the best. And I like beer a lot.

Then come play with us here:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-Beer

;)

moonpie23
12-11-2018, 10:44 PM
mine comes from the first band i managed back in the mid 70's. the 23 was unceremoniously awarded by AOL in the very early days of the internet.......

i did not attend Duke, however, upon my arrival in raleigh, from gamecock land, i picked duke to follow and cheer for, as they were the biggest thorn in UNC's side. Later, my son was diagnosed with MPS1 and Duke Children's Hospital became our home away from home for many years.

my avatar is my main whip....

devildeac
12-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Ding!

Now, for extra bonus points, can someone else remember what event first occasioned this phrase?

When Jason Evans (?) realized this was our freshman recruiting class for the 1997-98 MBB team: Avery, Brand, Battier and Burgess.

devildeac
12-11-2018, 10:46 PM
Still, I'm the RSV man.

I'm not gonna spork this guy as he might be contagious.

:o

Faison1
12-11-2018, 10:47 PM
Family name from little pickle town off of I-40 driving east from Raleigh.

Faison, NC

nmduke2001
12-11-2018, 11:11 PM
I’m from New Mexico and a 2001 grad.

Fun fact, you can drive directly to Duke from Albuquerque without ever changing roads (I40).

Bonus fun fact, Albuquerque is nicknamed “The Duke City”.

BlueTeuf
12-11-2018, 11:30 PM
My username is a conjunction of Blue Devil and Devil Dog (i.e. Teufelhunde) reflecting my Duke-dom and post-collegiate career choice.

Someone up thread suggested this thread topic is a repeat - which I didn't realize. However, I do recall an intensely interesting thread circa early 2003(?) entitled "Who am I?" - where many in our community unmasked with short or long autobiographical sketches. Still to this day, probably my favorite thread all-time.

BlueTeuf
12-11-2018, 11:37 PM
Fun fact, you can drive directly to Duke from Albuquerque without ever changing roads (I40).

IIRC, when I was in college, I40 dead-ended into Central Campus. True?

nmduke2001
12-11-2018, 11:50 PM
IIRC, when I was in college, I40 dead-ended into Central Campus. True?

I cannot confirm that. Today, I40 ends in Wilmington.

GGLC
12-11-2018, 11:56 PM
When Jason Evans (?) realized this was our freshman recruiting class for the 1997-98 MBB team: Avery, Brand, Battier and Burgess.

I believe that is right! Specifically, I think it was a reaction to Elton committing, but I could be corrected on that score.

Strangely, I remember exactly where I was when I read the post, working a database job in this beautiful old building run by the Southern Oregon University Foundation. :D

I've sporked too many people over the last 24 hours, devildeac, but I'll getcha as soon as I'm able!

BlueTeuf
12-12-2018, 12:03 AM
I cannot confirm that. Today, I40 ends in Wilmington.

Sorry - meant traveling west from RDU (now the Durham Freeway - as I-40 was re-routed around Durham). Again, more a recollection than an assertion.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-12-2018, 12:41 AM
My DBR name goes back to my undergraduate days. The song was popular, "great beat and you can dance to it. I'd give it a 10".*

At some point Coach Bubas asked the cheerleaders to choreograph some routines to popular music. Was already happening on the left coast and he wanted Duke to incorporate the routines in the entertainment during basketball games. Emily Meeker was the cheerleader most associated with the resulting routines. Since then the routines have been messed with multiple times, but the song "Devil with the Blue Dress On" has remained on the playlist and now is played following games Duke has won.

*A reference to the rate a record on American Bandstand for those too young to recognize it.

This is the original 1964 release of the song sung by Shorty Long on the Motown Soul label. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZ3pxgvfhY It was recorded two years later by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.

Devilwin
12-12-2018, 05:31 AM
First game I recall was a Duke/Davidson match up. Turned me into a Duke fan. Lefty was Davidson's coach, and he had a good team that year, but Duke won the game.
(Did you know Lefty once scored 59 points in a semi pro game?)

Bluedevil114
12-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Blue devil is because I root on the devils in blue. #11 is for Bobby Hurley and #4 is for JJ Redick.

ratamero
12-12-2018, 06:40 AM
just my family name, really.

I was at Duke for a whole 6 months during my PhD, attended exactly 1 game (an exhibition against Livingstone) and have been a fan ever since.

RU_Grad04
12-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Long time reader of this forum and first time poster....

I graduated from Radford University in 2004.

Spanarkel
12-12-2018, 07:50 AM
What a player!

devildeac
12-12-2018, 07:50 AM
My DBR name goes back to my undergraduate days. The song was popular, "great beat and you can dance to it. I'd give it a 10".*

At some point Coach Bubas asked the cheerleaders to choreograph some routines to popular music. Was already happening on the left coast and he wanted Duke to incorporate the routines in the entertainment during basketball games. Emily Meeker was the cheerleader most associated with the resulting routines. Since then the routines have been messed with multiple times, but the song "Devil with the Blue Dress On" has remained on the playlist and now is played following games Duke has won.

*A reference to the rate a record on American Bandstand for those too young to recognize it.

This is the original 1964 release of the song sung by Shorty Long on the Motown Soul label. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaZ3pxgvfhY It was recorded two years later by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.

About 60-75 seconds of each were used for the father-daughter dance at our younger daughter's wedding (with 60-75 seconds of The Temptations My Girl in-between) 3 weeks after she graduated. :D

Dukehk
12-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Huge Duke fan and currently in Hong Kong!

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-12-2018, 07:59 AM
...'cause I was one when all this started. Probably should change it now. Ya think "Ima Facultiwyfeemeritus" is too much?
Love, Ima

Indoor66
12-12-2018, 08:19 AM

But damn, you cover a lot of miles! :cool: I've done it.

Indoor66
12-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Yeah. David Rose provided the "signature" tune for those dances... ;):cool: Who can tell me what that was?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-12-2018, 08:22 AM
About 60-75 seconds of each were used for the father-daughter dance at our younger daughter's wedding (with 60-75 seconds of The Temptations My Girl in-between) 3 weeks after she graduated. :D
And Ozziedaughter chose Devil as our father daughter dance song too. You and Joy were there I believe! It surprised the heck out of me! I expected to do some sort of Foxtrot to a mushy song.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-12-2018, 08:25 AM
...Daddy played football for DUKE in the 1950’s.

Remember going to Wallace Wade and watching the Blue Devil mascot climbing the goal posts...I also remember learning “Rip ‘em up , tear ‘em up, give, em hell, DUKE... ( and being absolutely positive I would never be allowed to cheer ‘that word’... so 6 year old me cheered “give ‘em hello, DUKE!”...those college kids were obviously not sitting beside their parents🙄❗️

My how times change: I taught my 2 yr. old granddaughter “to hell with carolina...” 😁
Ken Hancock, the Wootman, was the Blue Devil who climbed on the goalpost circa 1974ish. This was before the big-headed costume.

TruBlu
12-12-2018, 08:25 AM
I think it was in the 80’s that Duke tried introducing a new fight song. I think the name was “Stand Up and Be True Blue”. It didn’t exactly catch on (I haven’t heard it in years), but the phrase “True Blue” just kept bouncing around in the deep, dark places of my brain. It is also a off-handed reference to the lighter shade of blue down the road, which apparently can never be true or truthful.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-12-2018, 08:29 AM

When NCSU won the natty in 1983, it was played in Albuquerque. CBS noted that the road to Albuquerque was I-40 and it went from Raleigh to Albuquerque.

grossbus
12-12-2018, 08:38 AM
Another DUMB alum. When bussing to away games, some buses had certain designations (study bus, date bus). The last bus in line was the gross bus, dedicated to the limerick song, dirty jokes, and hijinks as we passed through towns. Ridership was by invitation only and there was a captain of the bus. I was a captain.

As a result of my time on the gross bus, I know the two worst limericks ever written.

DevilHorse
12-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Was a follower of Secretariat in 1973. Got interested in horses when lured to a concert at a Racetrack in 74. Stayed for the races and was mesmerized by the pedigrees. Went to undergrad school (74-78) near Saratoga and bought reading material. Visited tracks and saw Ruffian's last race, multiple Belmonts, Alydar vs. Affirmed as 2YO. Took my visit to Duke for graduate school the week before the Final Four in 1978 (the campus was hopping..was always a basketball fan).
Joined a small group that produced one Nobel Prize winner and a NASA Head of Science.
Committed and received a Masters, PhD in physics and stayed on for PostDoc through 1985.
Same group that Orin Day (Lobster) used to work in, but we did not overlap. Orin did send me recruiting updates when email and the internet was in its infancy and before the website started.

Ran the Physics/Math Intramural Sports for the 7 years ("The 5 Year Plan" Tee Shirts). Anyone else out there play intramurals?

My icon was drawn by a young lady from the United States Trotting Association.

I have owned, driven/trained, and bred standardbred pacers. My brother owns thoroughbreds. I had been a voter in the standardbred weekly Top Ten poll for years.

Blue Devil
likes Horses
"Devil Horse" sound good.

Met a few of you folks at the NCCU football game 2 years ago with my son.

Larry
DevilHorse

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-12-2018, 09:18 AM
If you don’t get my name, I would say you “need a refresher course...”

hudlow
12-12-2018, 09:34 AM
All the good names were already taken.

MHNOLADevil
12-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Enjoying this thread! Class of 76 grad here and have made New Orleans (NOLA) my home since February 1990, hence my original DBR username of NOLADevil. (Living in a city with 24 hour bars proved to be useful for an instant attitude adjustment following our 1990 championship game with UNLV.) l added the MH for Mile High in 2010 after a move to Denver, during our 4th championship season. Moved back to New Orleans in 2015, just in time to be back for #5. Love this DBR community.

BandAlum83
12-12-2018, 10:00 AM
1985 Graduate - no further explanation required

And now you are a partner at a high powered NY law firm, after cutting your teeth as a small town lawyer in Florida?

tteettimes
12-12-2018, 10:12 AM
If you don’t get my name, I would say you “need a refresher course...”

You must be a proctologist 👍👍

BandAlum83
12-12-2018, 10:17 AM

In keeping with the unwritten but prevalent tradition of DBR for endless tangents, meaningless trivia, strolls down memory lane (but not a pun to be found in this post), IIRC, the American Bandstand rate a record was on a 100 point scale. I credit American Bandstand (and Soul Train) with teaching me how to dance, but not with teaching this New Yorker how to Shag. That was a difficult and arduous process perfected over years at Purdy's in Chapel Hill, Crazy Zack's in Raleigh, the Chinese Disco in Washinton D.C., and quite a few fraternity parties.

For those interested, here are the lyrics by Barry Manilow added at a later date to the famous America Bandstand theme song. Note the bolded reference to the rating system.

We're goin' hoppin', we're goin' hoppin' today
Where things are poppin' the Philadelphia way
We're gonna drop in on all the music they play
On the bandstand (bandstand)

We're goin' swingin', we're gonna swing in the crowd
And we'll be clingin' and floatin' high as a cloud
The phones are ringin', my mom and dad are so proud
I'm on bandstand (bandstand)

And I'll jump and hey, I may even show 'em my handstand
Because I'm on, because I'm on the American bandstand
When we dance real slow I'll show all the guys in the grandstand
What a swinger I am, I am on American bandstand

We're goin' hoppin', we're goin' hoppin' today
We're gonna drop in on all the music they play

Bandstand, bandstand, bandstand
Bandstand, bandstand, bandstand

Hey I'm makin' my mark, gee, this joint is jumpin'
They made such a fuss just to see us arrive
Hey it's Mr.Dick Clark, what a place you've got here
Swell spot, the music's hot here, best in the east
Give it at least a seventy five

Now for all you Joe's, here goes my American handstand
Because I'm on, because I'm on the American bandstand
As we dance real slow, I'm showin' the guys on the grandstand
That I like my girl but I love American bandstand

The singers' croonin', he ain't the greatest but gee
My baby's swoonin' in front of all of TV
So if you tune in, you'll see my baby and me

And now we're hoppin' and we'll be hoppin' all day
And you can drop in on all the music they play
On the bandstand

And we'll rock and roll and stroll on American
Lindy hop and slop, it's American
Tune in, I'm on, turn on, I'm in, I'm on
Today, bandstand

BandAlum83
12-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Another DUMB alum. When bussing to away games, some buses had certain designations (study bus, date bus). The last bus in line was the gross bus, dedicated to the limerick song, dirty jokes, and hijinks as we passed through towns. Ridership was by invitation only and there was a captain of the bus. I was a captain.

As a result of my time on the gross bus, I know the two worst limericks ever written.

My most (im)memorable (and shortest) band bus ride was coming home from Clemson after a win. Shortest because I passed out after consuming too much scotch from my flask. I don't recall which bus I was on, but it was likely the gross bus.

I did rally after arriving back in Durham to attend the festivities on campus after that most improbable win!

chrishoke
12-12-2018, 10:44 AM
My name came from my birth certificate. How boring.

SavDukeGrad
12-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Ken Hancock, the Wootman, was the Blue Devil who climbed on the goalpost circa 1974ish. This was before the big-headed costume.

I was at Duke from 74-78 and friends with 2 of the Blue Devils during that time. I believe they both also climbed the goalpost.

Does anyone remember exactly when we switched to the big-headed costume? It must have been the 80s, but I have often wondered exactly when we switched.

nmduke2001
12-12-2018, 11:09 AM
But damn, you cover a lot of miles! :cool: I've done it.

I've done it too. No GPS required.

dukebluesincebirth
12-12-2018, 11:13 AM
I suffered from a lack of oxygen at birth because the umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck and therefore I was Duke blue ever since birth..... just kiddin. Normal birth. My father used to carry me into Cameron back in the day when I could sit in his lap or stand in the entrance way to each section with no problem. I was 3 when he started this. I used to go down on the court at halftime to high five the blue devil. Johnny Dawkins and Tommy Amaker were my faves. Soooo, I suppose the username shouldve been dukebluesince3, but I know it was destiny since birth, so there you go! I've been a devil nearly my whole life!

Indoor66
12-12-2018, 11:46 AM
I've done it too. No GPS required.

But lots of potty breaks.

BLPOG
12-12-2018, 11:53 AM

I have done that.* It's a nice drive.

*Technically, you do split off onto 85 for the last few miles.

richardjackson199
12-12-2018, 11:57 AM
just a hotmail login. I joined DBR close to its inception, and didn't give it much thought. There must have been 199 Richard Jackson's on hotmail before me.

Travis
12-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Attended Duke from 86-90. Was consistently, but not always, called Travis at school. Always liked transparency so I used it as my screen name way back when I joined DBR.

thewoosh31
12-12-2018, 12:12 PM
My Korean nickname is similar to the sound that Cameron Crazies make when our team makes a FT and Shane Battier has been my favorite Duke player (#31).

NSDukeFan
12-12-2018, 12:14 PM
I was and have been living in Nova Scotia since I found this site. I was surprised to see a poster named Nova Scotian posting here but he/she just liked NS.

thedukelamere
12-12-2018, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty unimaginative... Duke LaMere is literally my name. But just to make sure to differentiate between myself and any impostors, I've been using THE Duke LaMere as my moniker since the good ole AIM days in middle school. Kind of like a pre-Twitter era Verified Account sort of thing.

jv001
12-12-2018, 12:22 PM
just a hotmail login. I joined DBR close to its inception, and didn't give it much thought. There must have been 199 Richard Jackson's on hotmail before me.

I just finished reading the entire thread from front to end and I thought that I may be the only one whose DBR name came from my original log in. But I credit Bob Green for being a member to this great site. Bob is the person that led me to DBR. We were members on another Duke site and the discussion came up regarding DBR. I will forever be grateful for him doing that. But I still have to say, "Go Army":cool: but a bigger GODUKE!

Fish80
12-12-2018, 12:24 PM
But lots of potty breaks.

Reminds me of the astronaut that wore depends to drive from Texas to Florida. Some crazy love triangle gone wrong if I recall.

clarkwgriswold4
12-12-2018, 12:39 PM
What is the meaning of my DBR username?

Bend over and I'll show ya.

mgtr
12-12-2018, 12:42 PM
I wish I could come up with something esoteric, but I have always liked British sports cars, and MG and Triumph are the Ford and Chevy of the bunch. Simple.

fan345678
12-12-2018, 12:44 PM
I was required to come up with a name, and I was out of ideas for the day.

devilsadvocate85
12-12-2018, 12:58 PM
And now you are a partner at a high powered NY law firm, after cutting your teeth as a small town lawyer in Florida?

Not even close!

OldPhiKap
12-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Not even close!

But at least you didn’t get sentenced to 36 months in jail today. #WinningTheDayAsALawyer

— OPK, Esq.

devilsadvocate85
12-12-2018, 01:07 PM
But at least you didn’t get sentenced to 36 months in jail today. #WinningTheDayAsALawyer

— OPK, Esq.

but I have been known to tell lawyer jokes on occasion - and I'm guessing there are going to be a whole flood of new ones coming

KShip21
12-12-2018, 01:12 PM
KShip21 = Kyle SHIPlett 21(at the time Trajan Langdon)

DU82
12-12-2018, 01:12 PM
I was at Duke from 74-78 and friends with 2 of the Blue Devils during that time. I believe they both also climbed the goalpost.

Does anyone remember exactly when we switched to the big-headed costume? It must have been the 80s, but I have often wondered exactly when we switched.

First football game was at Virginia in Sept 1983. I remember those of us in DUMB talked about how that new costume/head was costing us an overnight trip that year (I believe the cost was around $5-6K at the time.)

And yes, I was in DUMB as a grad student. (The 82 refers to my graduation year.)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-12-2018, 01:24 PM
When NCSU won the natty in 1983, it was played in Albuquerque. CBS noted that the road to Albuquerque was I-40 and it went from Raleigh to Albuquerque.

Not trying to be picky, but I have driven the length of it many directions both ways, and it extends past Albuquerque, through Flagstaff, into California, ending in Barstow. Most of us are more familiar with this tail end of 40, which tails down to Wilmington.

The Albuquerque to Flagstaff has some stunning scenery and should not be forgotten. Wilmington to Raleigh... Not so much.

NYBri
12-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Name is Brian. I live in New York.

I also have a license plate with NYBRI. :cool:

Indoor66
12-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Name is Brian. I live in New York.

I also have a license plate with NYBRI. :cool:

I thought you liked cheese.

lmb
12-12-2018, 02:04 PM
By any chance, did you ever happen to be in St. Petersburg when you saw it was time for a change?

No.....but what's puzzling you is the nature of my game

Neals384
12-12-2018, 02:57 PM
...'cause I was one when all this started. Probably should change it now. Ya think "Ima Facultiwyfeemeritus" is too much?
Love, Ima

There's more to the story, Ima? Are you no longer faculty, or...?

Neals384
12-12-2018, 03:03 PM
My name came from my birth certificate. How boring.

That's OK - your Avatar is anything but boring!

Neals384
12-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Let's see, do I really want to share a story from 6th grade? Well, OK, just because I love you all.

neals is part of my name. 384 is my fav number. It happened on the school bus. I always sat with the same buddy. Further along the route, two girls got on, always wearing lots of perfume. We didn't know them, but one day I whispered to my buddy that they must use an entire bottle of perfume every day. Cue 6th grade boy giggles. The next day, the scent was even stronger, so I upped it to 2 bottles...and so on, until the last day of school they had used 384 bottles of perfume (we must have skipped a few numbers).

Just to be clear, we weren't mean or loud about it, and I don't think the girls had any idea. The next year my bus had a different route, thank goodness.

384 actually is a very cool number: 2 to the 7th power times 3, which is why I kept it as my favorite. Math major and confirmed geek, that's me!

NYBri
12-12-2018, 04:47 PM
I thought you liked cheese.

that would be my friend, NYBrie. :cool:

DoubleDukeDNA
12-12-2018, 04:59 PM
This thread is fascinating for someone who has been lurking since the days of Elton Brand, etc. and knows so many of the regulars by their usernames. My username is a hat tip to my parents, both Duke grads (dad twice as he added an M.D.) and my birth in Duke Hospital. Also many, many Duke relatives on both sides of the family.
Love Meeker was a sorority sister of mine (well, me lowly freshman, her exalted senior!!) and a Cameron icon for her role in helping to bring dancing cheerleaders to Duke. I call "Devil With a Blue Dress On" the unofficial anthem of Duke basketball over the years, but Love was just as famous for "The Stripper", which, if I recall, caused some hands in Allen Building to be upflung with horror.
Good times long ago and more good times to come!

tendev
12-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Tennis player at Duke

cato
12-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Not trying to be picky, but I have driven the length of it many directions both ways, and it extends past Albuquerque, through Flagstaff, into California, ending in Barstow. Most of us are more familiar with this tail end of 40, which tails down to Wilmington.

The Albuquerque to Flagstaff has some stunning scenery and should not be forgotten. Wilmington to Raleigh... Not so much.

I have driven the entire length, although not in a single trip. Somewhere I have pictures of the signs on either end, with mileage to the opposite end (e.g., 3,041 miles to Wilmington, or whatever it is).

95 is the other major interstate I have driven end to end.

One day I’ll wrap up the 5.

None of which has anything to do with my handle.

4Gen
12-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Grandfather Trinity 19--
Father 1944
Me 1974
Daughter 2005
Grandson, Nolan, yes Nolan, 2035

Indoor66
12-12-2018, 06:13 PM
I have driven the entire length, although not in a single trip. Somewhere I have pictures of the signs on either end, with mileage to the opposite end (e.g., 3,041 miles to Wilmington, or whatever it is).

95 is the other major interstate I have driven end to end.

One day I’ll wrap up the 5.

None of which has anything to do with my handle.

That mileage thing reminds me of crossing into Texas on I-10 and seeing that I was at Texas mile marker 899! It's a long way across Texas.

wallyman
12-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Wally was my long-gone, much beloved corgi/god-knows-what mix. And, truth to tell, he hated Duke basketball. Well, he didn't hate the players or the team or Coach K; he hated me watching the games, whether it was sitting there all scrunched up full of anxiety and dread or suddenly leaping up for no apparent reason and shaking my fist and screaming. He just thought -- what the hell is going on? He'd sit there watching me, and as soon as I started going into Duke-game mode, he'd start barking furiously, saying "Cut this crap out. It's freaking me out." I was his alpha dog, and he wanted me sane, composed, attentive - at peace. Not weirdly full of anxiety and focused neurotically on the television as he never saw me any other time. Anyway, he was the greatest. I miss him every day, and, though I don't post much, I'm glad to do it in his name.

Fish80
12-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Wally was my long-gone, much beloved corgi/god-knows-what mix. And, truth to tell, he hated Duke basketball. Well, he didn't hate the players or the team or Coach K; he hated me watching the games, whether it was sitting there all scrunched up full of anxiety and dread or suddenly leaping up for no apparent reason and shaking my fist and screaming. He just thought -- what the hell is going on? He'd sit there watching me, and as soon as I started going into Duke-game mode, he'd start barking furiously, saying "Cut this crap out. It's freaking me out." I was his alpha dog, and he wanted me sane, composed, attentive - at peace. Not weirdly full of anxiety and focused neurotically on the television as he never saw me any other time. Anyway, he was the greatest. I miss him every day, and, though I don't post much, I'm glad to do it in his name.
Great post! My lab (and my avatar) likes to one up our excitement level. In a close game with much yelling she goes into “devil dog” mode, sprinting around the house, leaping into furniture, and throwing toys. Great fun!

-bdbd
12-12-2018, 08:12 PM
That mileage thing reminds me of crossing into Texas on I-10 and seeing that I was at Texas mile marker 899! It's a long way across Texas.

I was once a US Navy Aviator. I was stationed for a while in Texas (Corpus Christi). Part of my job had to do with filing flight plans and calculating fuel requirements. I always thought that it was pretty funny that when we had flights going out to the west coast - think LA area - our planes couldn't fly all the way there on a single tank. So we would always stop almost exactly half-way to the Pacific. Believe it or not, that was STILL in the state of Texas! (El Paso) Yes, one friggin' big state!

I wish I had as good a story as some others here.
My first name is Brian. So, Brian, Duke Blue Devil!
But I have loved hearing the clever name back-stories from many posters here.

:D

peloton
12-12-2018, 08:25 PM
In a previous life (before my wife and the resulting fruits of our loins), I did a few USCF road races and rode a good bit here in the Triangle. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end"...but they did. I haven't done a licensed USA Cycling (no longer USCF) race in about a quarter century. I still have a passion for riding though, ride when I can (not nearly as often as I'd like but come retirement which isn't that far off...), and enjoy watching cross and road races. By the way, they have this race in France, the Tour de France - anyone heard of it? ;) My wife and I had the pleasure of being in Paris for the final stage in 2005, courtesy of her company conference in Brussels, Belgium. I'd love to go back someday to catch a mountaintop stage though.

I see there are other fans of the sport here in DBRLand - Mapei (was a great jersey) and possibly others who I've either forgotten or aren't obvious from their usernames.

yancem
12-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Nothing creative or exciting here. Yance is a shortening (although syllable wise not letters) of my last name and and childhood nickname. M is simply my middle initial (go by my middle name). I came up with it as a user name in the mid to late nineties when it didn’t even occur to me to try to be creative. I figured screen name should be somewhat identifiable. Used the same username for just about everything since. Makes it easier when going to other websites. I guess I’m boring that way!

OldPhiKap
12-12-2018, 08:34 PM
In a previous life (before my wife and the resulting fruits of our loins), I did a few USCF road races and rode a good bit here in the Triangle. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end"...but they did. I haven't done a licensed USA Cycling (no longer USCF) race in about a quarter century. I still have a passion for riding though, ride when I can (not nearly as often as I'd like but come retirement which isn't that far off...), and enjoy watching cross and road races. By the way, they have this race in France, the Tour de France - anyone heard of it? ;) My wife and I had the pleasure of being in Paris for the final stage in 2005, courtesy of her company conference in Brussels, Belgium. I'd love to go back someday to catch a mountaintop stage though.

I see there are other fans of the sport here in DBRLand - Mapei (was a great jersey) and possibly others who I've either forgotten or aren't obvious from their usernames.

I would love to see a stage at Alpe d’Huez or Col du Tourmalet.

Skye announced today, btw, that they are suspending sponsorship of the team soon.

proelitedota
12-12-2018, 08:43 PM
It describes how good I am at a computer game called DotA.

Ranidad
12-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Not surprisingly I have a daughter named Rani, hence Ranidad.

What I did not know when I created the username is that she would follow me to Duke in the class of 2020

Thurber Whyte
12-12-2018, 08:50 PM
My username is an inside joke that only a handful of other posters at most might recognize. One of my friends freshman year (1985-86) joined the Duke Chapel Choir. His section, one of the bass sections (a very base section indeed), had a running gag where they made up a fictitious member of their section named Thurber Whyte (pronounced witty) and had his name listed in all of the Choir’s concert programs, including the one for the annual performance of The Messiah. By the time my friend joined, Thurber was in the Choir’s official records and was getting his own mail from them. None of the other Choir members or leadership seemed terribly curious about this person whom neither they nor anyone else would have known or recognized. The Choir had a tradition of honoring members on their birthdays by having them stand while the rest of the Choir sang “Happy Birthday.” This was, of course the next logical step in Thurber’s progress. The only problem was that, now, they needed an actual person to be Thurber Whyte. One of the members of the section said to my friend, “Why don’t you ask that geeky looking guy who lives next to you to be Thurber Whyte?” A few days later, I went to Choir practice and sat in their section. I love music, but cannot read it and I cannot sing to save my life so I just held my scores and mouthed along. I loved the experience. The Chapel Choir is an excellent choir with professional directorship. It was like sneaking onstage and air guitaring with Metallica. After practice, I was indeed honored and was pleased to receive the individual well wishes of people who had never met me in my entire life, yet thought I was a member of the Choir. The bass section had further plans for Thurber, but none of them came to fruition because the ruse was found out through some eventuality that I cannot remember. However, I became friends with the core of that bass section and they were my closest friend group for the rest of my time at Duke. Thurber Whyte became legend or, at least, was well enough remembered that attempts to resurrect him over the years were thwarted.

I have been lurking on the DBR message boards since this site was Juliovision. When the boards moved to a new platform, the one before this one, I believe, I was prompted to create a username to fully access the site. Thurber Whyte was the obvious choice. He is an alter ego of sorts. He is a uniquely Duke figure if an obscure one. Most of all I want people to know that Thurber Whyte IS real and he occasionally makes banal posts on DBR.

dukelifer
12-12-2018, 08:57 PM
My username is an inside joke that only a handful of other posters at most might recognize. One of my friends freshman year (1985-86) joined the Duke Chapel Choir. His section, one of the bass sections (a very base section indeed), had a running gag where they made up a fictitious member of their section named Thurber Whyte (pronounced witty) and had his name listed in all of the Choir’s concert programs, including the one for the annual performance of The Messiah. By the time my friend joined, Thurber was in the Choir’s official records and was getting his own mail from them. None of the other Choir members or leadership seemed terribly curious about this person whom neither they nor anyone else would have known or recognized. The Choir had a tradition of honoring members on their birthdays by having them stand while the rest of the Choir sang “Happy Birthday.” This was, of course the next logical step in Thurber’s progress. The only problem was that, now, they needed an actual person to be Thurber Whyte. One of the members of the section said to my friend, “Why don’t you ask that geeky looking guy who lives next to you to be Thurber Whyte?” A few days later, I went to Choir practice and sat in their section. I love music, but cannot read it and I cannot sing to save my life so I just held my scores and mouthed along. I loved the experience. The Chapel Choir is an excellent choir with professional directorship. It was like sneaking onstage and air guitaring with Metallica. After practice, I was indeed honored and was pleased to receive the individual well wishes of people who had never met me in my entire life, yet thought I was a member of the Choir. The bass section had further plans for Thurber, but none of them came to fruition because the ruse was found out through some eventuality that I cannot remember. However, I became friends with the core of that bass section and they were my closest friend group for the rest of my time at Duke. Thurber Whyte became legend or, at least, was well enough remembered that attempts to resurrect him over the years were thwarted.

I have been lurking on the DBR message boards since this site was Juliovision. When the boards moved to a new platform, the one before this one, I believe, I was prompted to create a username to fully access the site. Thurber Whyte was the obvious choice. He is an alter ego of sorts. He is a uniquely Duke figure if an obscure one. Most of all I want people to know that Thurber Whyte IS real and he occasionally makes banal posts on DBR.
Cool story.

OldPhiKap
12-12-2018, 09:12 PM

This story is priceless.

EKU1969
12-12-2018, 09:13 PM
1969 grad of Eastern Kentucky University (go JGOLD)! Been a Duke fan since the mid 50’s, mainly because they had the same colors as the Brooklyn Dodgers😉! Grew up in New Jersey, was a huge Bob Verga fan! I am one of those few people to know JGehtland’s “maiden” name...he is my son!👍😉!

wallyman
12-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Great post! My lab (and my avatar) likes to one up our excitement level. In a close game with much yelling she goes into “devil dog” mode, sprinting around the house, leaping into furniture, and throwing toys. Great fun!

Also, a great post. Wally felt there was no fun to be had, just a horrid intrusion into his normally harmonious home life. But, in retrospect, it's possible that, in addition to my descent into the depths of the Duke Zone, he was reacting to way too much Dickie V for any self-respecting canine.

juise
12-12-2018, 10:32 PM
On the old version of the boards, I was "43SecondsFromPortland" because during the victory celebration of the 2001 title (my Freshman year), that's what K called Dunleavy's barrage of 3's. I am from Portland and played a game against Mike Jr in high school (*cough* summer league), so I decided to adopt it.

But... that handle was a little cumbersome and I switched to a handle that's a play on my last name when these boards opened.

devildeac
12-12-2018, 10:34 PM
This thread keeps getting better and better with all these great stories. Keep 'em coming folks!

Furniture
12-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Its the internet:

Arguments with Furniture are rarely productive.

westwall
12-12-2018, 11:05 PM
When I joined I was still an avid skier and, for a screen name, thought of a certain geographical feature of a western ski area that I skied frequently, but then substituted in my own surname. This year I am, sadly, giving up skis, leaving my sons and grandsons to carry on. But I have a free Cameron game ticket for the first poster who identifies by PM the ‘ski area’ and ‘geographical feature’ that I had in mind. (The game date is negotiable)

DukieInKansas
12-12-2018, 11:14 PM

Skye announced today, btw, that they are suspending sponsorship of the team soon.

Time to organize a DBR trip to Le Tour. I saw it start in Paris in 2003 but really want to see a mountain stage.

Blue KevIL
12-12-2018, 11:50 PM
I decided on "Blue KevIL" as my DBR username for the obvious play on the Blue Devil nickname.
The "KevIL" part of it has to do with my name (Kevin) and the state where I have lived my whole life (Illinois).

I've been a Duke fan from the Land of Lincoln since the '86 team and an almost daily DBR user since '99.
The DBR is a wonderful online community and I have learned quite a bit about being a better basketball fan and about being a responsible message board user.

Thanks to the DBR, I discovered so many things outside of the Duke Basketball Program we all love: new books, TV shows, movies, music, websites and much more.
You never know what you're going to learn when you read these boards.

Thanks everyone!

ratamero
12-13-2018, 03:09 AM

How 'bout we organize a little exchange program - I can take you to a mountain stage at the Giro d'Italia (I go almost every year) and you take me to a game in a Cameron. Deal? :)

BigZ
12-13-2018, 05:29 AM
Username is after the greatest player in history of basketball: Brian Zoubek

OldPhiKap
12-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Time to organize a DBR trip to Le Tour. I saw it start in Paris in 2003 but really want to see a mountain stage.

Speaking of, sad to hear of Paul Sherwen’s passing a few days ago. Very sad, only 62.

Tripping William
12-13-2018, 08:39 AM

Captain Jonathan S. Tuttle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepfYMHr674)? Is that you?? :o

DukieInKansas
12-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Captain Jonathan S. Tuttle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aepfYMHr674)? Is that you?? :o

Major Murdock says hello!

jv001
12-13-2018, 10:38 AM
This story is priceless.

Sporkz worthy. Well I thought it was and I wish I could have given Thurber more than one spork. It took me back to my high school days where my best friend and I pulled so many pranks. God rest his soul. GoDuke!

du_bb1
12-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Just finished reading the thread-some very neat stories-not so much here. From Wi, came to Duke in 72 and became an avid fan. In those days finding a seat in Cameron was not difficult, pretty much anywhere you wanted. The days of Willie Hodge !

Moniker seemed to make sense Duke University Basketball # 1--that was not hashtag............

barjwr
12-13-2018, 12:20 PM
My handle is my initials followed by my wife's initials -- used the same combination for our first joint email account (I know, how quaint an idea that two people could share a single email account!). We met at Duke, playing in the Wind Symphony, and we came back to Durham for my residency and her law school. We still use a barjwr account for the spam email that comes from signing up at various checkout counters.

NYBri
12-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Its the internet:

Arguments with Furniture are rarely productive.

Short. Sweet. Great. :cool:

DallasDevil
12-13-2018, 05:04 PM

I can see it now...Duke Corner rivaling the Dutch and a blue devil jumping up and down alongside the riders as they pass by.

As for me, the metro area where I live and the abbreviated name of the mascot for the university where I attended law school.

vfefrenzy
12-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Mine has no relation to Duke whatsoever.
V=Roman Numeral Five
Fe=Chemical symbol for Iron
So, Five Iron Frenzy, which is the name of my favorite band.
I’ve been using this name for 20 years and it’s never been taken on any website, so if you’ve seen a vfefrenzy elsewhere, it was probably me.

theAlaskanBear
12-13-2018, 05:18 PM
My basketball consciousness came of age during the 2000-2001 season (8th grade) Williams, Battier, Duhon, Dunleavy, Boozer, Love, Sanders, James, Buckner, Sweet, Horvath....

Well — Boozer is from Alaska, and has a bear tattoo on his arm.
Also, I am a bear. I crave all things baskets, from picnic baskets to basketball. I follow college ball and the NBA using cellphones computers and other devices taken from my victims/meals at area campsites.

kcduke75
12-13-2018, 05:33 PM
KC graduated in 1975.

Way original

Use it everywhere

Still in Derm

CoachJ10
12-13-2018, 09:31 PM
Coach J was a nickname that I (Jason) got as an homage to a certain tobacco road great...

RaiderDevil
12-13-2018, 09:33 PM
I played for and now coach at a school with "Raiders" as a mascot, and I hope the devil part is obvious.

RaiderDevil
12-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Coach J was a nickname that I (Jason) got as an homage to a certain tobacco road great...

I was hoping that would catch on for me when I started coaching, also Jason. Never did, cause, you know, I'm not a very good coach...

duke96
12-13-2018, 09:42 PM
I am a huge John Wayne fan and have a fascination with numbers that are the same when viewed upside down!

BandAlum83
12-14-2018, 01:57 AM
KC graduated in 1975.

Way original

Use it everywhere

Still in Derm

The studio work and touring must have really interfered with your studies. Did you take more than 4 years to graduate?

'75 was probably the year you recorded more of your billboard chart entries than any other year.

YmoBeThere
12-14-2018, 06:23 AM
The studio work and touring must have really interfered with your studies. Did you take more than 4 years to graduate?

'75 was probably the year you recorded more of your billboard chart entries than any other year.

Now, you're just blowing Sunshine...

wilson
12-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Time to organize a DBR trip to Le Tour. I saw it start in Paris in 2003 but really want to see a mountain stage.*La Tour
/bilingual pedantry

-jk
12-14-2018, 09:57 AM
*La Tour
/bilingual pedantry

I’m not bilingual, but why is their site letour.fr?

-jk

Reilly
12-14-2018, 10:11 AM
*La Tour
/bilingual pedantry

Personally, when I resort to bilingual pedantry, it's because -- like Woody Hayes -- I couldn't for three: https://www.michigandaily.com/content/cause-i-couldnt-go-three-1968-1978

Nrrrrvous
12-14-2018, 10:13 AM
My last name is Purvis. In my younger years I was given the nickname Never Nervous Purvis by our High School Principal/Football Coach who noticed that I had the propensity, even as a Freshman, to walk up to any cute girl anywhere at any time and start up a conversation. (He, sadly, succumbed to cancer my Junior year but his nickname never died.) Over the years most of my friends just shortened it to Nervous. The added r's are a tribute to Paul Lynde who played a character named Nervous Elk in a really, really bad western. When he pronounced it, he stuttered/drug out the first syllable.
Bonus sporks to anyone who can name the western.

Oh, and it also describes my state during every Duke game since 1989!

westwall
12-14-2018, 10:25 AM
My last name is Purvis. In my younger years I was given the nickname Never Nervous Purvis by our High School Principal/Football Coach who noticed that I had the propensity, even as a Freshman, to walk up to any cute girl anywhere at any time and start up a conversation. (He, sadly, succumbed to cancer my Junior year but his nickname never died.) Over the years most of my friends just shortened it to Nervous. The added r's are a tribute to Paul Lynde who played a character named Nervous Elk in a really, really bad western. When he pronounced it, he stuttered/drug out the first syllable.

Since 1989? Then you are perhaps too young to recall the original Never Nervous Pervis.

DukieInKansas
12-14-2018, 10:28 AM
*La Tour
/bilingual pedantry

I’m not bilingual, but why is their site letour.fr?

-jk

And their logo.

gus
12-14-2018, 10:37 AM
*La Tour
/bilingual pedantry

Tour meaning "tower" is feminine. Tour meaning "walk, ride or excursion" is masculine.

Green Wave Dukie
12-14-2018, 12:10 PM
Now, you're just blowing Sunshine...

This thread is getting down....

BandAlum83
12-14-2018, 12:15 PM
This thread is getting down...

I'm Shakin'

BandAlum83
12-14-2018, 12:18 PM
There were always 3 or more KC songs played at every Sorority Formal I attended.

Memories...

fisheyes
12-14-2018, 12:32 PM
My last name: Fishman
Wife's last name: Eysmann

We always threatened to hyphenate to kid's last name to Fisheyes

And there ya have it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-14-2018, 12:41 PM
There were always 3 or more KC songs played at every Sorority Formal I attended.

Memories...

KC lived in Durham for a while.

It all began to unravel after an 1982 car accident near his home in Hialeah. He was temporarily paralyzed on his left side and was confined to a wheelchair until he learned to walk again. He also became addicted to painkillers and faced a series of personal losses. His father had a series of strokes and passed away in 1984.

"I just didn't want to do it anymore," KC says. "I had been there and done that. I just wanted to be a person. A normal person."

So that's what he did. Ten years ago KC checked himself into a rehabilitation center in North Carolina. He fell in love with the countryside and bought a farm in Durham.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1996-11-21-9611190301-story.html (From 1996)

dudog84
12-14-2018, 12:42 PM

Too easy. The Villain.

And no movie with Ann-Margret can ever be called really, really bad. Inconceivable!

gotoguy
12-14-2018, 12:43 PM
I was a gym rat until my knees betrayed me.

gus
12-14-2018, 01:58 PM
The etymology of my name isn't certain -- there are few competing theories. One is that it reference to staff of the gods, or of the geats, or of the goths. Another is that it is from old slavic meaning "glorious guest". That one seems odd to me though, so I'm going with staff of the gods.

Nrrrrvous
12-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Since 1989? Then you are perhaps too young to recall the original Never Nervous Pervis.

Yeah, I was a couple years too late to see him play. Becoming a Duke fan later, I heard all about "that game" and the negative connotations associated with the name.

Nrrrrvous
12-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Too easy. The Villain.

And no movie with Ann-Margret can ever be called really, really bad. Inconceivable!

Winner Winner! Chicken Dinner!!

All I remember is Paul Lynde being hilarious and Arnold being whatever the opposite of hilarious is...

fuse
12-14-2018, 03:24 PM
When I joined I was still an avid skier and, for a screen name, thought of a certain geographical feature of a western ski area that I skied frequently, but then substituted in my own surname. This year I am, sadly, giving up skis, leaving my sons and grandsons to carry on. But I have a free Cameron game ticket for the first poster who identifies by PM the ‘ski area’ and ‘geographical feature’ that I had in mind. (The game date is negotiable)

Not a PM, I know.
While I’d like it to be Hanging Valley Wall in Snowmass, since I have been there, I’m more inclined to guess East Wall at A-basin.

Turk
12-14-2018, 04:17 PM
Mine derives from an incident where someone saw my last name (of obscure Hungarian origin with tweaked Ellis Island spelling) on the dorm room door in Pegram, attempted to pronounce it and failed miserably, to much hysterical laughter. (It's likely that not all of us were functioning at full linguistic or intellectual capacity.) "Turk" was the first syllable, became the shorthand, and it stuck as a nickname with my close Duke friends.

weezie
12-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Still, I'm the RSV man..

I can't spork him right now but would somebody please spork my pal rsvman, please? He's the real deal.

Neals384
12-14-2018, 10:22 PM

I'd go for that!

westwall
12-14-2018, 10:41 PM

BullBlue was first to correctly identify the 'ski area' as Arapahoe Basin in Colorado and the 'geographical feature' as that area's "East Wall", and as a result has won a (seated) ticket to the Clemson game on Saturday Jan.5.

Saratoga2
12-15-2018, 08:34 AM
I took my user name from where I lived, Saratoga near the race track, which was my summer haunt. The 2 came from the fact that I screwed up my first user name Saratoga by losing the password so thought it easier to start anew. Now its a long time since we were in Saratoga, preferring Florida and NC instead of the cooler climes.

peloton
12-15-2018, 12:03 PM

I hadn't seen this. I can only assume that their costs for the riders' TUE drugs were becoming prohibitive :).

Just kidding - I have nothing against Sky.

I have to say though that I'm envious of DBR poster ratamero. Ratamero, Italy is one country that I've always wanted to go to and will someday. As a longtime cyclist, I certainly appreciate the TdF and its stature in the sport. This is probably just an erroneous perception on my part, but to me the Italian people seem to be more passionate in regard to their cycling culture though. Combine their history in the sport with the fact that I love Italian food and it's just a matter of time before I go to take in some of The Giro.

But yes, a trip to either Le Tour or The Giro for interested DBR folks would be dare I say...awesome.

By the way OPK - yes, I was very sad (and shocked) to hear of Paul Sherwen's passing. When my wife and I were at the final stage in Paris in 2005, we and others waved and shouted out to Paul and Phil as they walked down the Champs-Elysees a good while before the riders came into town. I'll never forget the smiles on their faces and their waving back to the crowd. It was obvious they enjoyed the adulation. He'll be truly missed by many in the world of cycling and Tour de France coverage will simply not be the same without him.

budwom
12-15-2018, 01:14 PM
It's the password to all my financial accounts, so it's really easy to remember...

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2018, 01:19 PM
It's the password to all my financial accounts, so it's really easy to remember...

What a coincidence!

OldPhiKap
12-15-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks.

On a related vote, can you remind me of your mother’s maiden name and your first pet?

devildeac
12-15-2018, 02:31 PM

This is even better than sharing Duke-related stories here on DBR.

:rolleyes:

timmy c
12-15-2018, 02:46 PM

And your mother's maiden name?

CameronBornAndBred
12-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Where's/"/"/" Wheat/"/"/"?

PS...this has nothing to do with above said "trolling" remarks, I'm not in the camp that he is one.

ratamero
12-15-2018, 05:08 PM
I have to say though that I'm envious of DBR poster ratamero. Ratamero, Italy is one country that I've always wanted to go to and will someday. As a longtime cyclist, I certainly appreciate the TdF and its stature in the sport. This is probably just an erroneous perception on my part, but to me the Italian people seem to be more passionate in regard to their cycling culture though. Combine their history in the sport with the fact that I love Italian food and it's just a matter of time before I go to take in some of The Giro.

But yes, a trip to either Le Tour or The Giro for interested DBR folks would be dare I say...awesome.

Real talk - I'm probably going to the last weekend of the Giro this year (31/05-01/06) with a few friends and if any DBR poster happens to make the trip they'd be more than welcome to join our troupe. We have a local Italian to guide us, a legit cyclingnews.com journalist and two enthusiastic amateurs (myself and one Dutch guy). Just drop me a private message and we can definitely make this work.

Re. Giro x Tour - I've been to countless Giro stages (anything from a prologue, time trial, flat/hill/mountain stages) and it's always a lot of fun. There's a sense of community with people relaying info back and forth, helping each other with food and shelter when necessary, in a way that I haven't seen in other races outside Italy. Granted, the only Tour stage I've watched was Champs-Elysées a couple of times, but it feels more like people are there for the event rather than for the sport.

cato
12-15-2018, 05:38 PM

PS...this has nothing to do with above said "trolling" remarks, I'm not in the camp that he is one.

Lurking under a bridge? 🤷I'm a real wanker for saying this.♂️

6th Man
12-15-2018, 06:28 PM
A superfan who believes that his fervent support of a team will have a direct influence on the outcome of a game said team may be involved in.

camion
12-15-2018, 06:41 PM

Mine is harder to pronounce. It's 12345.

DukieInKansas
12-15-2018, 07:06 PM
Real talk - I'm probably going to the last weekend of the Giro this year (31/05-01/06) with a few friends and if any DBR poster happens to make the trip they'd be more than welcome to join our troupe. We have a local Italian to guide us, a legit cyclingnews.com journalist and two enthusiastic amateurs (myself and one Dutch guy). Just drop me a private message and we can definitely make this work.

Re. Giro x Tour - I've been to countless Giro stages (anything from a prologue, time trial, flat/hill/mountain stages) and it's always a lot of fun. There's a sense of community with people relaying info back and forth, helping each other with food and shelter when necessary, in a way that I haven't seen in other races outside Italy. Granted, the only Tour stage I've watched was Champs-Elysées a couple of times, but it feels more like people are there for the event rather than for the sport.

I've heard that you can get closer to the cyclists at the Giro or the Vuelta since the crowds are smaller.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Mine is harder to pronounce. It's 12345.

Something something idiot something luggage.

devildeac
12-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Lurking under a bridge? 🤷I'm a real wanker for saying this.♂️

It happened again :eek:.

CameronBornAndBred
12-16-2018, 02:11 AM

Lurking under a bridge? ��I'm a real wanker for saying this.♂️

I got my answer, and it was a great story. No bridges involved.
Leaving it at that.

budwom
12-16-2018, 08:15 AM

thank goodness this is a Duke only board, so no one else has access to this info...oops, gotta go now, there's a nice Nigerian man calling me on line 1 with an important investment opportunity!

Fish80
12-16-2018, 11:36 AM
A few years back, long story short, I caught 80 fish. With one worm. In the desert.

I was fishing with Nate James.

BluDvlsN1
12-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Mostly obvious, but the N1, is a nod to &1 or and one.

The reason, many decades ago I abandoned geographical alliances
in sports, when I got the bigger picture.

I've lived in areas where being a Duke fan made me the anti-christ.

So when I signed on to DBR I felt I was home among friends having defended
Duke for years as a loner.

The longer version goes back to 60's Ohio State Basketball, seeing Duke in some final 4's eventually
Bobby Knight at Indiana, and then Coach K. This is the very abbreviated version.

MartyClark
12-16-2018, 04:36 PM
I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to Denver in 1982.

I loved those Duke championship teams with Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Marty Clark.

I represented the old Durham Life Insurance Company when they got sued in Colorado. Parenthetically, they got sued a lot. My frequent trips to the Triangle hooked me on ACC basketball. I previously thought I could like UNC and Duke. I was wrong.

I appreciated the real Mary Clark for his skills and the fact that he started his H.S. career at Mullen H.S. in Denver and finished at St. Joe's ( Isaiah Thomas' high school). I identified with him.

Real Marty, feel free to claim your name on DBR.

Go Duke.

NSDukeFan
12-16-2018, 05:23 PM
I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to Denver in 1982.

I loved those Duke championship teams with Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Marty Clark.

I represented the old Durham Life Insurance Company when they got sued in Colorado. Parenthetically, they got sued a lot. My frequent trips to the Triangle hooked me on ACC basketball. I previously thought I could like UNC and Duke. I was wrong.

I appreciated the real Mary Clark for his skills and the fact that he started his H.S. career at Mullen H.S. in Denver and finished at St. Joe's ( Isaiah Thomas' high school). I identified with him.

Real Marty, feel free to claim your name on DBR.

Go Duke.

I think Marty tried to claim his name, but it wasn’t available. 😀

CameronBornAndBred
12-16-2018, 05:35 PM
I think Marty tried to claim his name, but it wasn’t available. 😀

But he did sign up, and now we know his financial accounts password. :cool: