PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky: Allen & Sons closed

fuse
12-06-2018, 04:35 PM
I seem to recall barbeque is on topic:

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/article222718535.html

Looks like the Pittsboro location will stay open under a licensing agreemnt with the existing operator.

plimnko
12-06-2018, 07:13 PM
that sucks!! I was just there last week. I noticed their hours were cut back. I might never eat bbq again.

DrChainsaw
12-06-2018, 08:44 PM
I'll stay on track and stick to 'cue, but Allen & Sons was never a favorite of mine. Things may have changed since my day, but the triangle didn't have great barbecue, despite sentimental favorites like Bullock's.

zippy_the_cat
12-13-2018, 01:55 PM
I'll stay on track and stick to 'cue, but Allen & Sons was never a favorite of mine. Things may have changed since my day, but the triangle didn't have great barbecue, despite sentimental favorites like Bullock's.

Two words, dude: Q Shack.

devildeac
12-13-2018, 01:57 PM

The Q Shack in Raleigh is closing.

Acymetric
12-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Honestly I've never been impressed with any Durham BBQ. Backyard BBQ is probably my preferred option. Q Shack is fine, but nothing special. The Cary/Raleigh area seems to have a lot more to offer in that regard.

DrChainsaw
12-13-2018, 02:08 PM

Too late for me. I’m in the BBQ wasteland of New England these days.

plimnko
12-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Johnson's Family BBQ on 98 (Wake Forest Highway) at Patterson Road. A more than adequate replacement.

robed deity
12-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Honestly I've never been impressed with any Durham BBQ. Backyard BBQ is probably my preferred option. Q Shack is fine, but nothing special. The Cary/Raleigh area seems to have a lot more to offer in that regard.

My preferred as well. The BBQ is decent, but the sides are amazing. Best Mac and cheese I've had.

NYBri
12-13-2018, 02:43 PM
Being in the Q wasteland of the northeast, the best I have found in these regions is actually in Albany. Capital Q. :cool:

CrazyNotCrazie
12-13-2018, 03:04 PM

I had very good bbq a few years ago in Newport, RI. It was at a house across from a strip mall. It was a very pleasant surprise.

rasputin
12-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Being in the Q wasteland of the northeast, the best I have found in these regions is actually in Albany. Capital Q. :cool:

Ever been to Rubbin' Butts in Howe's Cave?

DukeBlue666s
12-13-2018, 07:22 PM

This makes 2 of us. Most people don’t know what BBQ is here!

DrChainsaw
12-13-2018, 07:54 PM

Ever been to Rubbin' Butts in Howe's Cave?

Thanks, both. My parents live out in the boonies near Albany, so next time I'm up that way...

Thurber Whyte
12-13-2018, 10:03 PM
I was in Durham for the Duke/Carolina football game and basically ate nothing but BBQ the entire weekend so I had a chance to compare many of the best places more or less side by side.

I ate at Johnson Family BBQ for the first time and really liked it. It is outside the city limits so they can use wood. To my taste, the meat could have used a tad more vinegar, but was succulent and had a terrific smoked flavor. I am definitely going back. I am definitely putting it on heavy rotation.

Byrd’s is probably my second favorite place in the area. It also has a nice smoked flavor. It was on top form this visit.

The Q Shack is different. The pork BBQ is not really Eastern North Carolina style, but is sui generis. It is good, but a little on the hot side for me. It seems to be prepared with chili powder rather than pepper so it is hotter and without the balancing sweetness. I have had the beef brisket and that is probably the better bet here.

Backyard BBQ is good, but inconsistent. I have had it when the meat is on the dry side. This time around it was a little watery side. I would still recommend it. It ranges from good to excellent.

My overall favorite was Bullock’s. Over repeated visits, it is also the most consistent. I am always looking for the next, best thing, but, to me, it is the place to beat. I hear over and over that it is not what it used to be or never was in the first place, but I love it and it tastes as good as ever to me.

Someone mentioned better pickings in the Raleigh/Cary area. The next time I return, I will try to make it over to there. Could someone please offer some recommendations. I have been Clyde Cooper’s and Ole Time BBQ, but not recently. They were very good, but, to me, not better than anything in Durham.

DrChainsaw
12-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Bullock’s was the first place I ate in Durham. My FAC (don’t know if they still exist) took my group out for dinner. Our waitress had such a strong Southern accent that I, being from NY, could not understand a word she said. To my embarrassment, my FAC had to translate everything from Southern to Yankee. So Bullock’s will always be a sentimental favorite, but I never felt their barbecue stacked up against the better NC barbecue I’ve had.

Acymetric
12-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Bullocks used to be pretty good, and consistently so. Not world class, but solid Carolina Que well worth eating and enough local tradition that it was worth a visit or recommendation. I'm sure there are times where it is still good. But the last few times I've been, the BBQ I got was essentially comparable to what you might find at a generic catered corporate event in a hotel after it had been sitting over a Sterno for a couple hours. Luke warm, and a little dry/crusty (and not the good kind of crust from the smoking). These were fairly peak hours usually directly before or after Duke games. I feel like they probably need some fresh blood with a little more energy and focus on consistent quality.

budwom
12-14-2018, 09:22 AM
One sign of "ye olde" Durham living is showing up at Bullocks at 7:55 and finding all the chairs stacked on the tables, done for the "night."
Always felt their Q was middling in quality, but I liked the scene, Brunswick Stew, piles of fried chicken...

camion
12-14-2018, 09:33 AM
I always liked Bullocks, but then most of my experience was in the 70s. More than the BBQ I loved the Brunswick stew, Virginia style that you can eat with a fork as a side dish. Now in SC the Brunswick stew I find here is more of a Georgia version, an actual stew in a bowl that you eat with a spoon, not really my cup of tea/soup. I much prefer the side rather than the soup so I searched and eventually found a recipe that fairly well matches the Bullocks version.

The recipe is sized for a family reunion:

Equipment needed for a full version of the recipe
1 large stock pot (22 qt)
1 boat paddle or large stirrer

OldPhiKap
12-14-2018, 09:39 AM
I always liked Bullocks, but then most of my experience was in the 70s. More than the BBQ I loved the Brunswick stew, Virginia style that you can eat with a fork as a side dish. Now in SC the Brunswick stew I find here is more of a Georgia version, an actual stew in a bowl that you eat with a spoon, not really my cup of tea/soup. I much prefer the side rather than the soup so I searched and eventually found a recipe that fairly well matches the Bullocks version.

The recipe is sized for a family reunion:

Equipment needed for a full version of the recipe
1 large stock pot (22 qt)
1 boat paddle or large stirrer

The key to great Brunswick Stew is to cook all of the meats separately first so they develop their unique flavors before combining. If you throw the chicken, rabbit and squirrel meat together in the pot it just melds instead of popping in a nice blend.

Not to brag, but I make a damn mean vat of Brunswick Stew.

Acymetric
12-14-2018, 09:40 AM
The key to great Brunswick Stew is to cook all of the meats separately first so they develop their unique flavors before combining. If you throw the chicken, rabbit and squirrel meat together in the pot it just melds instead of popping in a nice blend.

No possum?

camion
12-14-2018, 09:51 AM
No possum?

Nope, not as food. I do render down a possum on occasion and use the the grease to curl my mustache. :)

OldPhiKap
12-14-2018, 09:53 AM
No possum?

Not a fan, the meat is too stringy and greasy.

Reilly
12-14-2018, 09:54 AM
... loved the Brunswick stew, Virginia style that you can eat with a fork as a side dish. Now in SC the Brunswick stew I find here is more of a Georgia version ...

Didn't realize there were geographical variations (and disputed claims of origin): https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/brunswick-stew-the-virginia-way/2014/01/06/38e27446-6e4f-11e3-a523-fe73f0ff6b8d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.22a7c7e6e305

devildeac
12-14-2018, 10:02 AM

Not to brag, but I make a damn mean vat of Brunswick Stew.

Reviews? Witnesses? I want some proof (plus, now you've made me hungry, dammit :o).

devildeac
12-14-2018, 10:04 AM
Not a fan, the meat is too stringy and greasy.

Plus, several avian species usually get first run on the carcass...

:eek:

camion
12-14-2018, 10:08 AM

If you are interested in possum as cuisine: Michelin tires do the best job tenderizing.

Also I suggest scouting country roads rather than main highways. Eighteen wheelers just make a mess of things. ;)

OldPhiKap
12-14-2018, 11:05 AM

If you are interested in possum as cuisine: Michelin tires do the best job tenderizing.

Also I suggest scouting country roads rather than main highways. Eighteen wheelers just make a mess of things. ;)

The key is, in the morning you spray paint the carcasses that are out on the road. That way, you can tell which are the fresh ones when you come back through at night.

Whether it comes from a gun or a Goodyear, it's good eatin'.

And because this is not only sorta on-topic of this off-topic bypass, as well as a damn good song:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=armadillo+jackal+youtube&view=detail&mid=18D006701AADAABD8D0518D006701AADAABD8D05&FORM=VIRE