PDA

View Full Version : A Very Krzyzewski Hanukkah

Native
12-04-2018, 04:01 PM
K apparently participated in the lighting of the menorah on Duke's campus. Hilarity ensued (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/12/duke-mens-basketball-mike-krzyzewski-lights-the-menorah-hanukkah).

"[The Maccabees] pulled off the biggest upset in the history of man. Bigger than UMBC over Virginia, Villanova over Georgetown, N.C. State over Houston or Lehigh over Duke."

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 04:13 PM
...Mazel Tov

weezie
12-04-2018, 04:27 PM
"Bigger than UMBC over Virginia..."

Still hasn't gotten old yet...:cool:

JetpackJesus
12-04-2018, 08:40 PM
K apparently participated in the lighting of the menorah on Duke's campus. Hilarity ensued (https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/12/duke-mens-basketball-mike-krzyzewski-lights-the-menorah-hanukkah).

The saddest part about all the blind hate Coach K receives is that none of those people know what a genuinely funny, nice, and warm man he is.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 08:50 PM
The saddest part about all the blind hate Coach K receives is that none of those people know what a genuinely funny, nice, and warm man he is.

...and by saddest, I assume you really mean infuriating... I saw some of the blind hatred at NC State's arena when Duke was in the regional there. Lot of State season tix holders were in there, and they were so arrogant in their hatred of Duke and K. I'm thinking...wait a minute....didn't Coach K become Jimmy V's closest friend? How can these people be so stupid? So blind? K didn't hate State, and he loved Jimmy V.

And another thing...watch any Duke game at the end, and almost without exception the opposing players clearly relish their quick greeting with Coach K - and Coach K spends more time with opposing players in the post game handshake line than any other coach.

People inside the game love him....the rest? EFF EM.

JetpackJesus
12-04-2018, 09:09 PM
...and by saddest, I assume you really mean infuriating... I saw some of the blind hatred at NC State's arena when Duke was in the regional there. Lot of State season tix holders were in there, and they were so arrogant in their hatred of Duke and K. I'm thinking...wait a minute...didn't Coach K become Jimmy V's closest friend? How can these people be so stupid? So blind? K didn't hate State, and he loved Jimmy V.

And another thing...watch any Duke game at the end, and almost without exception the opposing players clearly relish their quick greeting with Coach K - and Coach K spends more time with opposing players in the post game handshake line than any other coach.

People inside the game love him...the rest? EFF EM.

Everything you say is correct. I just find those people more deserving of my pity than my ire.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 09:27 PM
Everything you say is correct. I just find those people more deserving of my pity than my ire.

Your response is no doubt the proper one......you're being a bigger man than I on this topic. These people seriously infuriate me. They hate K and they can't put two syllables together about why. It's mindless.

niveklaen
12-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Do NC State fans still dislike Valvano? I seem to remember a great deal of bitterness when he 'abandoned' them after winning and that they blamed him for their program being put on probation...

devildeac
12-04-2018, 10:39 PM

"We beg to differ."

Regards,

Lenny, Dick, Teddy, Jamie, Karl, Mike, Roger and Dean

Edouble
12-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Your response is no doubt the proper one...you're being a bigger man than I on this topic. These people seriously infuriate me. They hate K and they can't put two syllables together about why. It's mindless.

"than me"

Let he who is without grammar sins cast the first syntax stones.

Rich
12-04-2018, 11:09 PM
Your response is no doubt the proper one...you're being a bigger man than I on this topic. These people seriously infuriate me. They hate K and they can't put two syllables together about why. It's mindless.

"than me" Let he who is without grammar sins cast the first syntax stones.

It's not the object of the sentence such as "he gave the rock to me" which is correct compared to "he gave the rock to I." In this case "I" is short for "I am", so I think it's correct. Grammar experts feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edouble
12-04-2018, 11:22 PM
It's not the object of the sentence such as "he gave the rock to me" which is correct compared to "he gave the rock to I." In this case "I" is short for "I am", so I think it's correct. Grammar experts feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

I prefer than as a preposition, if you are not going to include the verb of the second, subordinate clause.

Jedweb
12-04-2018, 11:48 PM
I vote with HereBefore. An understood "am" follows "than," as in "bigger man than I am."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-05-2018, 02:36 AM
I vote with HereBefore. An understood "am" follows "than," as in "bigger man than I am."

Another vote for "I."

And sporks for any thread that d/evolves into grammar discussion.

BandAlum83
12-05-2018, 03:21 AM
I prefer than as a preposition, if you are not going to include the verb of the second, subordinate clause.

Both are, of course, correct. I prefer to use "than" as a conjunction. You are, apparently, far less traditional in your grammatical ways than I.

A Merriam-Webster discussion of the subject:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/than-what-follows-it-and-why

OZZIE4DUKE
12-05-2018, 05:55 AM
Both are, of course, correct. I prefer to use "than" as a conjunction. You are, apparently, far less traditional in your grammatical ways than I.

Fascinating read. Thanks. I always wanted to be an engineer; now I are one! LGD GTHc!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 06:37 AM

Wow, I surely didn't think I'd slap a hornet's nest with this topic.....but yes, "than I" is a more efficient, and I submit elegant, way of saying "I am" in this context. Funny thing is, I'm a published author - but often slaughter grammar in these drive by forums. In this case, however, I concur that I was correct sir. :cool:

Which begs the question: do the Wolfpack or Cheat's forums ever devolve into grammar?

devildeac
12-05-2018, 07:31 AM

I like/agree with the bolded, especially since I couldn't figure out which one was correct after reading several sources last PM after one poster reprimands another for illegal use of the conjunction/preposition/subject/object/sentence structure/grammar or whatever the hell it was.

devildeac
12-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Fascinating read. Thanks. I always wanted to be an engineer; now I are one! LGD GTHc!

Yore/your/you're/yur/yer correct, as usual.

devildeac
12-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Wow, I surely didn't think I'd slap a hornet's nest with this topic...but yes, "than I" is a more efficient, and I submit elegant, way of saying "I am" in this context. Funny thing is, I'm a published author - but often slaughter grammar in these drive by forums. In this case, however, I concur that I was correct sir. :cool:

Which begs the question: do the Wolfpack or Cheat's forums ever devolve into grammar?

Likely only if their/they're/there/thare/thar insulting grammpar in the same sentence.

Indoor66
12-05-2018, 07:39 AM

Where does Gunga Din fit it?

OldPhiKap
12-05-2018, 07:46 AM
This is why Roy speaks of himself in the third person. It cleverly sidesteps the whole “I” - “me” debate.

OPK doesn’t approve, but he understands.

devildeac
12-05-2018, 07:49 AM
This is why Roy speaks of himself in the third person. It cleverly sidesteps the whole “I” - “me” debate.

OPK doesn’t approve, but he understands.

The Beatles apparently could/couldn't care less/more either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Me_Mine

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 07:52 AM

So over there at cheat land, who would know from grammar? Would it be ruled by AFAM Ebonics or The Queen's English? So confusing...maybe it's best Roy stays third person...as long as he doesn't go into the "royal we" thing.

Billy Dat
12-05-2018, 08:20 AM
Without wading too deeply into verboten public policy territory, this is a huge gesture of support for the Jewish community from K at a time when public antisemitism is on the rise. Maybe he did it for Scheyer, who was beside him during the ceremony, but it is not the first time that K, a well known conservative, has shown a willingness to break with the more extreme voices on the right for what is RIGHT.

Billy Dat
12-05-2018, 08:45 AM
Without wading too deeply into verboten public policy territory, this is a huge gesture of support for the Jewish community from K at a time when public antisemitism is on the rise. Maybe he did it for Scheyer, who was beside him during the ceremony, but it is not the first time that K, a well known conservative, has shown a willingness to break with the more extreme voices on the right for what is RIGHT.

Looks like this post inflamed some DBR denizens. Feel free to kill it mods...it wasn't my intention.

jv001
12-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Looks like this post inflamed some DBR denizens. Feel free to kill it mods...it wasn't my intention.

Most of the time I'm on the RIGHT but your post didn't inflame me. On the contrary, I agree with your post. GoDuke!

devildeac
12-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Most of the time I'm on the RIGHT but your post didn't inflame me. On the contrary, I agree with your post. GoDuke!

Most of the time I'm wrong. Ask Mrs. dd. :o

BLPOG
12-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Wow, I surely didn't think I'd slap a hornet's nest with this topic...but yes, "than I" is a more efficient, and I submit elegant, way of saying "I am" in this context. Funny thing is, I'm a published author - but often slaughter grammar in these drive by forums. In this case, however, I concur that I was correct sir. :cool:

NO! It doesn't.

An armistice was declared on the board a while back for this topic, but to hell with it. I've seen this one too much lately.

Question begging is a type of fallacy. Saying that something "begs the question" is saying something different than "raises the question."

uh_no
12-05-2018, 09:23 AM
NO! It doesn't.

An armistice was declared on the board a while back for this topic, but to hell with it. I've seen this one too much lately.

Question begging is a type of fallacy. Saying that something "begs the question" is saying something different than "raises the question."

yeah, but this begs the question about the pack/cheaters :D

(yeah this is really a red herring, but issa yoke)

DavidBenAkiva
12-05-2018, 09:32 AM

There's a difference between being politically conservative and being an out-and-out bigot. After all, Freedom of Religion is enshrined in our Constitution. If that was a rant, then that was the end of my rant on the topic.

As a Jewish Duke fan, I loved every bit of this story and the video. It made my kishkes warm.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 09:36 AM
NO! It doesn't.

I can't tell if you're ticked at the grammar, or the topic of cheats and pack. Either way, man, I'm just having fun here. Lightening up is not a bad thing.

I would also say that on the logical fallacy of begging the question - you are clearly technically correct. But in reality, it's an idiom that is most often used precisely as I used it.

ehdg
12-05-2018, 10:02 AM

It's pretty cool and he was funny. Though he got his story a bit mixed up at the end about the candles sadly which is understandable. It wasn't about 1 candle vs 8 candle it was that the oil lasted for 8 days when they thought there was only enough for 1 day. But he's close enough.

JasonEvans
12-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Not sure what you are referring to as the post has not been reported to the moderators as problematic. I see nothing political about noting that antisemitism (which is considered a "far right" political position) is a horrible thing that seems to be on the rise. Praising Coach K for making a show of his support for the Jewish community is simply not anything close to a violation of our "no politics" stance on the DBR, IMO.

-Jason "now, if your post violated HIPPA guidelines or contained a grammar mistake... well, that would be a whole different set of problems here on the DBR" Evans

JasonEvans
12-05-2018, 10:05 AM
It's pretty cool and he was funny. Though he got his story a bit mixed up at the end about the candles sadly which is understandable. It wasn't about 1 candle vs 8 candle it was that the oil lasted for 8 days when they thought there was only enough for 1 day. But he's close enough.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/09/55/270955729edd3b5cdb2debbb869bea82.jpg

Reddevil
12-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Naw, them don't talk two good.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Not sure what you are referring to as the post has not been reported to the moderators as problematic. I see nothing political about noting that antisemitism (which is considered a "far right" political position) is a horrible thing that seems to be on the rise. Praising Coach K for making a show of his support for the Jewish community is simply not anything close to a violation of our "no politics" stance on the DBR, IMO.

-Jason "now, if your post violated HIPPA guidelines or contained a grammar mistake... well, that would be a whole different set of problems here on the DBR" Evans

Ironically I think you made a grammatical mistake in using the wrong acronym for HIPAA...

I loved Coach K's speech. Though his Judaics were not perfect, he clearly did some homework to learn about the story of Hanukah. And he was his usual funny, witty self. As others have noted, he comes across as very serious while coaching but he is actually very funny.

Unfortunately, I agree that I think the anti-semitic events on campus were part of what drove him to make this appearance. I would like to think that it is because Vernon Carey is MOT and Coach K thought this would help influence his decision, but I'm fairly sure that is not the case - I think he is about as Jewish as Fred Goldsmith...

devildeac
12-05-2018, 10:55 AM

JE is an amusing fellow, intentional or not, especially as CrazyNotCrazie pointed out above. :o;)

JasonEvans
12-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Ironically I think you made a grammatical mistake in using the wrong acronym for HIPAA...

Carey/Stewart... HIPPA/HIPAA

I'm too busy making new mistakes to worry about my old ones ;)

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/15/158c803003d0271289543ad87600f8f4acbd8b3659a7b6995a a2f6a3d00b5b44.jpg

gus
12-05-2018, 11:21 AM
NO! It doesn't.

I'll die on that hill with you, BLPOG. But die we will, because it's a losing battle.

yancem
12-05-2018, 11:23 AM

I would say that anitsemitism is a "far left" and a "far right" political position. The difference being the "moderate right" get blamed for it while the "moderate left" does not.

Of course now I have ventured in the PP domain 🤐

JasonEvans
12-05-2018, 11:31 AM
I would say that anitsemitism is a "far left" and a "far right" political position. The difference being the "moderate right" get blamed for it while the "moderate left" does not.

Of course now I have ventured in the PP domain 🤐

We are not doing this. Stop. There will be no more conversation here about the politics of antisemitism. It is not in any way connected to any mainstream politics and deeply distracts from the lighthearted conversation otherwise happening in this thread.

Turk
12-05-2018, 01:14 PM
"[The Maccabees] pulled off the biggest upset in the history of man. Bigger than UMBC over Virginia, Villanova over Georgetown, N.C. State over Houston or Lehigh over Duke."

Too soon!

BandAlum83
12-05-2018, 02:57 PM

I loved Coach K's speech. Though his Judaics were not perfect, he clearly did some homework to learn about the story of Hanukah. And he was his usual funny, witty self. As others have noted, he comes across as very serious while coaching but he is actually very funny.

Unfortunately, I agree that I think the anti-semitic events on campus were part of what drove him to make this appearance. I would like to think that it is because Vernon Carey is MOT and Coach K thought this would help influence his decision, but I'm fairly sure that is not the case - I think he is about as Jewish as Fred Goldsmith...

That would be a spelling mistake ;)