PDA

View Full Version : Major CFB coaching change... Urban Meyer out at Ohio State

JasonEvans
12-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Urban Meyer is retiring. (https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/12/urban-meyer-retiring-as-ohio-state-football-coach-after-rose-bowl-ryan-day-to-replace-him.html) A piece of me thinks this was a secret negotiated thing from the scandal earlier this year. He was forced to retire but got to go out on his own terms, so to speak, by coaching out this season.

There will be coaching dominoes from tOSU filling a huge coaching opening, though not the same kind of ripples as when Carolina grabbed Mack Brown and utterly shook the foundations of college football. Bwahahahaha!

-Jason "I'll fold this into the generic coaching change thread in a bit, but this is pretty big news so it can stand on its own for a little bit" Evans

JasonEvans
12-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Whoa... I just read a bit more and it looks like his OC, Ryan Day, who coached the team when Meyer was suspended earlier this year, will take over as head coach. So, no coaching dominoes. Ok...

DangerDevil
12-04-2018, 08:07 AM
When will Meyer unretire this time?

Will it be in time for the Rose Bowl?

Will he come back to OSU after a year and force Ryan Day out?

Or will he wait until Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame and go back to coach at his other dream job?

Keep watching as the Urban turns.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 08:19 AM
When will Meyer unretire this time?

Will it be in time for the Rose Bowl?

Will he come back to OSU after a year and force Ryan Day out?

Or will he wait until Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame and go back to coach at his other dream job?

Keep watching as the Urban turns.

He's not retiring until AFTER the Rose Bowl anyway.....interestingly enough, someone big at OSU wanted Day. He's a new assistant on the staff. Not like Urban fell on his sword to get one of his longtime assistants the gig.....(unless Day has worked with Urban earlier....which I don't know).

AGDukesky
12-04-2018, 08:28 AM
If the job is not truly filled, then I would expect Herman at Texas to be all over this unless his role in the saga precludes him from consideration...

DangerDevil
12-04-2018, 08:38 AM
He's not retiring until AFTER the Rose Bowl anyway...interestingly enough, someone big at OSU wanted Day. He's a new assistant on the staff. Not like Urban fell on his sword to get one of his longtime assistants the gig...(unless Day has worked with Urban earlier...which I don't know).

I don’t know anything about Day’s past but the more surprising part was when he was named the interim head coach instead of Greg Schiano or Kevin Wilson (both previous head coaches) back in August when Meyer was suspended.

DavidBenAkiva
12-04-2018, 09:22 AM
This "retirement" feels a lot like it was planned long ago. Like, when Meyer was suspended. The tOSU AD probably worked out a deal so that Meyer could end his tenure in Columbus "gracefully" (as if anyone forgets).

luburch
12-04-2018, 09:27 AM
I don’t know anything about Day’s past but the more surprising part was when he was named the interim head coach instead of Greg Schiano or Kevin Wilson (both previous head coaches) back in August when Meyer was suspended.

Day doesn't have any prior issues. Schiano and Wilson do not have spotless records.

johnb
12-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Is Urban Meyer the kind of guy who would fall on his sword for an assistant?

Is OSU the kind of institution that would try to make retirement graceful for a scandal-plagued coach? Or more of an institution that rolled the dice that the incumbent coach might make it more likely that the team would get into the playoffs?

arnie
12-04-2018, 09:40 AM
This "retirement" feels a lot like it was planned long ago. Like, when Meyer was suspended. The tOSU AD probably worked out a deal so that Meyer could end his tenure in Columbus "gracefully" (as if anyone forgets).

The sleeping giant in Orange County should have been more patient. Meyer would have jumped at coaching at a school with a punishment-free zone for scandals.

luvdahops
12-04-2018, 09:48 AM

I'm no Meyer fan, but he does have some health issues (anyone see him on the sideline late in the Maryland game?), has won a natty and owned Harbaugh. And faces an extremely beatable U Dub team in this year's Rose Bowl. Absent another title, that seems to me a reasonably "graceful" exit under the circumstances.

ehdg
12-04-2018, 10:31 AM
If the job is not truly filled, then I would expect Herman at Texas to be all over this unless his role in the saga precludes him from consideration...

From what I've heard the job is going to Day who was the OC and could have left for the Tennessee Titans OC job last year. He's supposedly a brilliant offensive mind. If he's not getting the job the person I'd see them going for before Herman would be Bob Stoops whose also a Ohio guy.

devildeac
12-04-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm no Meyer fan, but he does have some health issues (anyone see him on the sideline late in the Maryland game?), has won a natty and owned Harbaugh. And faces an extremely beatable U Dub team in this year's Rose Bowl. Absent another title, that seems to me a reasonably "graceful" exit under the circumstances.

Our son, who lives in Columbus now and works at Wexner Medical Center, verified this comment and postulated it may be causing him problems again.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Our son, who lives in Columbus now and works at Wexner Medical Center, verified this comment and postulated it may be causing him problems again.

Articles I have read have pointed to his health directly as a leading cause. Regardless of other issues and conspiracy theories, certainly a man's health transcends sports.

I wish him well in retirement and hope OSU burns to the ground. Metaphorically speaking. Mostly.

chris13
12-04-2018, 10:58 AM
I don’t think there’s any big conspiracy by Ohio State to keep Urban on for the year and let him exit gracefully. His health has been an issue for the last 10 years on and off, and coaching college football is a 80 hour/week job. There’s not much more for him to accomplish in the sport, he is still relatively young, and if you get bored you can always be a consultant or some network will give him some cash to be a color man or in studio.

He’s pretty clearly the second best coach in college football to Saban. Maybe now Harbaugh can finally beat Ohio State.

I know Herman was an Ohio state assistant but I don’t think he’s gonna leave Texas. Why succeed Urban Meyer whose success will be hard to match when you’re already building something good at a school that has as much resources as anybody.

LasVegas
12-04-2018, 12:33 PM
I don’t think there’s any big conspiracy by Ohio State to keep Urban on for the year and let him exit gracefully. His health has been an issue for the last 10 years on and off, and coaching college football is a 80 hour/week job. There’s not much more for him to accomplish in the sport, he is still relatively young, and if you get bored you can always be a consultant or some network will give him some cash to be a color man or in studio.

He’s pretty clearly the second best coach in college football to Saban. Maybe now Harbaugh can finally beat Ohio State.

I know Herman was an Ohio state assistant but I don’t think he’s gonna leave Texas. Why succeed Urban Meyer whose success will be hard to match when you’re already building something good at a school that has as much resources as anybody.

How many times are you allowed to retire and cite health as the excuse?

gus
12-04-2018, 12:37 PM

ahem (https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/index.html)

Mike Corey
12-04-2018, 01:00 PM

This decision was Coach Meyer's and Coach Meyer's alone.

Mike Corey
12-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Coach Meyer has publicly confirmed his health issues (https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/10/30/urban-meyer-brain-cyst-headaches-ohio-state). My recollection of HIPAA law is rusty, but I think this would negate any HIPAA concerns for young DevilDeac.

luvdahops
12-04-2018, 01:05 PM
From what I've heard the job is going to Day who was the OC and could have left for the Tennessee Titans OC job last year. He's supposedly a brilliant offensive mind. If he's not getting the job the person I'd see them going for before Herman would be Bob Stoops whose also a Ohio guy.

Job is definitely going to Day. They are looking for a smooth succession (a la Oklahoma), and Day showed he was up to the task during Meyer’s suspension.

Wahoo2000
12-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Echoing the thoughts above of all those saying it's primarily a health issue.

I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but if there's a scandal causing a PR storm, you either fire the guy immediately or keep him on indefinitely.

Too bad for Meyer he's not healthy enough to keep at it. Seems like the only guy out there aside from Dabo who can even hope to contend with Saban at Bama.

devildeac
12-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Ahem yourself:

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/31/ohio-state-urban-meyer-cyst-comments-health/

Public knowledge.

Edit: Thanks to Mike Corey for beating me to this about 30 minutes ago. I'm soooooo slow/tardy on DBR sometimes :o.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Ahem yourself:

Public knowledge.

Edit: Thanks to Mike Corey for beating me to this about 30 minutes ago. I'm soooooo slow/tardy on DBR sometimes :o.

No kidding.....that "ahem" was quite amusing. If I'm not mistaken, HIPPA only applies to medical professionals.....I don't think it applies to average people - especially concerning public knowledge.

Steven43
12-04-2018, 01:39 PM
There will be coaching dominoes from tOSU filling a huge coaching opening, though not the same kind of ripples as when Carolina grabbed Mack Brown and utterly shook the foundations of college football. Bwahahahaha!
I think Mack Brown might do a good job at UNC for 5-7 years. If he does, it will be considered as a pretty good hire. I wouldn’t laugh just yet.

scottdude8
12-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Urban Meyer is retiring. (https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/12/urban-meyer-retiring-as-ohio-state-football-coach-after-rose-bowl-ryan-day-to-replace-him.html) A piece of me thinks this was a secret negotiated thing from the scandal earlier this year. He was forced to retire but got to go out on his own terms, so to speak, by coaching out this season.

-Jason "I'll fold this into the generic coaching change thread in a bit, but this is pretty big news so it can stand on its own for a little bit" Evans

As a Michigan fan I second this conspiracy theory, haha, and I can tell you a lot of B1G folks have speculated something along these lines throughout the season as well. It wouldn't surprise me if there has been a concerted attempt to play up the health issues as the primary reason for his departure to distract from Zach Smith, but that's going one more level down the conspiracy rabbit hole.

As a Wolverine this is good news/bad news for me: obviously good news is OSU is worse off on the football field, and probably the recruiting tale in the immediate future, without Meyer. Bad news is this makes the OSU loss this year sting even more (if that was possible)... I think had we won that game, the story of Meyer's impending exit is more focus on the stain of the fact that he actively covered up for a domestic abuser, and not how he's "one of the greatest coaches of all-time" (I think the great Stephen A. Smith said something to that extent this morning). Crossing my fingers that Washington can get it together and send him off on the sour note he deserves.

P.S. Watch the Harbaugh media circus go out of control the moment football season starts next year... the "does Harbaugh need to beat Ohio State without Meyer" debate will probably begin the second training camp starts!

DarkstarWahoo
12-04-2018, 01:49 PM
He's only 54 years old - 13 years younger than Saban. I can almost guarantee he'll be bored to tears in a couple of years and desperate to coach again. His health issues will be "under control" and he'll have no shortage of suitors.

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban retired in four or five years once he gets past (a really young-looking) 70. Maybe another four or five years. Bama won't settle for another Dennis Franchione or one of their failed Mikes. Urban will be rested and ready to take their $9 million per.

nmduke2001
12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
He's only 54 years old - 13 years younger than Saban. I can almost guarantee he'll be bored to tears in a couple of years and desperate to coach again. His health issues will be "under control" and he'll have no shortage of suitors.

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban retired in four or five years once he gets past (a really young-looking) 70. Maybe another four or five years. Bama won't settle for another Dennis Franchione or one of their failed Mikes. Urban will be rested and ready to take their $9 million per.

If anyone other than Alabama grad Dabo Swinney gets that job when Saban leaves, it will be a huge surprise.

Mike Corey
12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
As a Michigan fan I second this conspiracy theory, haha, and I can tell you a lot of B1G folks have speculated something along these lines throughout the season as well. It wouldn't surprise me if there has been a concerted attempt to play up the health issues as the primary reason for his departure to distract from Zach Smith, but that's going one more level down the conspiracy rabbit hole.

There was not and is not anything to the conspiracy theories that the health issues have been exaggerated.

scottdude8
12-04-2018, 02:07 PM
There was not and is not anything to the conspiracy theories that the health issues have been exaggerated.

You're 100% right, upon review I now realize that doesn't read as I intended, so my apologies! Obviously Urban has legitimate health issues. The "next level" conspiracy, going off of what Jason had said about the suspension, is that maybe OSU has manipulated the situation so that all of the focus is on one factor in Urban leaving, his health, so that little/none of the focus returns to another potential factor, which is the Zach Smith scandal. It just really strikes me how the media coverage has completely ignored that issue considering a few months ago all the "talking heads" were saying it was offensive that he wasn't fired following the scandal. I hope that is more clear/less crass than my previous statement.

Steven43
12-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Though it’s a moot point now, why would you think Tom Herman would leave Texas to go to Ohio State? The University of Texas has more financial resources than Ohio State. Texas is located smack dab in the middle of the greatest football recruiting hotbed in the country. Texas has facilities that are second to none. Texas has great tradition and a huge profile. Texas plays in a so-so conference that should allow them the opportunity to occasionally get through the Big 12 season unscathed. Austin, Texas is arguably THE place to live in this country if one has their choice of locales. Why in the world would Herman leave Texas for Ohio State??

rasputin
12-04-2018, 02:24 PM
No kidding....that "ahem" was quite amusing. If I'm not mistaken, HIPPA only applies to medical professionals....I don't think it applies to average people - especially concerning public knowledge.

I'm not a HIPAA expert either (it's HIPAA, not HIPPA), but I'm sure that, for example, a hospital employee who may have access to some patient's medical records isn't supposed to broadcast them.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-04-2018, 02:27 PM

This was my suspicion and as one of the most reliable posters on the board, I will take this as gospel.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm not a HIPAA expert either (it's HIPAA, not HIPPA), but I'm sure that, for example, a hospital employee who may have access to some patient's medical records isn't supposed to broadcast them.

...and those would be considered MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS......that is anyone who's profession grants them access to the records.

CrazyNotCrazie
12-04-2018, 02:55 PM
...and those would be considered MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS...that is anyone who's profession grants them access to the records.

I work at a large bank and I am also required to do HIPAA training. The odds of someone's medical information landing on my desk are minimal, but everyone at the bank is required to do this as a bank is also liable. I should have paid better attention to the training as I don't recall the specifics of it, but society has become much, much more sensitive to this. I'm sure one of the many lawyers around here can back me up on this, or we can just move on and revert the focus of this thread to the topic at hand...

ehdg
12-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Though it’s a moot point now, why would you think Tom Herman would leave Texas to go to Ohio State? The University of Texas has more financial resources than Ohio State. Texas is located smack dab in the middle of the greatest football recruiting hotbed in the country. Texas has facilities that are second to none. Texas has great tradition and a huge profile. Texas plays in a so-so conference that should allow them the opportunity to occasionally get through the Big 12 season unscathed. Austin, Texas is arguably THE place to live in this country if one has their choice of locales. Why in the world would Herman leave Texas for Ohio State??

I never thought Herman was gonna get the Job. I said it was Day's job. But if they had opened it up and not given the job to Day that Stoops would have been first on the list before Herman being that Stoops is a Ohio guy growing up in Youngstown, Ohio.

Why would Herman leave Texas for the The OSU job? I don't think he would have but if he did maybe because he was the OC/QB coach back in 2011 - 2014 hand picked by Urban for that job at The OSU when he first came there to replace Fickle who took over for a year after Tressel was forced to retire.

AGDukesky
12-04-2018, 03:30 PM
I had heard when it looked like Herman was leaving Houston for Texas, that OSU was his dream job being from Ohio originally. There were rumors that going to Texas first would make it easier to make the jump to OSU. Maybe that was all just hearsay...

rocketeli
12-04-2018, 04:04 PM
No kidding....that "ahem" was quite amusing. If I'm not mistaken, HIPPA only applies to medical professionals....I don't think it applies to average people - especially concerning public knowledge.

HIPAA certainly applies to anyone who works at a health organization (including support staff, such as cleaning people, HR, maintenance, PR etc) who works with protected information about anyone who uses their health organization as a customer. (I speak as a MD who has sat through numerous trainings on this).

It does not matter what someone has or has not disclosed about their own or anyone else's health condition if you are in one of the above categories. You still cannot disclose any information you learned at work.

If you are a random joe/josephine on the street and you repeat something you read or heard about someone's health then you are not involved in HIPAA. Even a doctor could repeat something they read on the web etc. about someone's medical history, provided they were not learning it in any professional capacity.

But if you learn about someone's (such as Urban Meyer's) health issues from something you saw, read or heard at a facility where he was a patient, and repeat that information without the persons express permission, than that is a HIPAA violation, and in many states is not only a civil problem but also a criminal act (a misdemeanor.)

So if the original poster's family member worked at a hospital visited by Urban Meyer and told others even the fact that he had seen the man there, or worse, repeated stuff he saw in the chart or overheard, he could be liable for a big fine or even a criminal prosecution. Just FYI

El_Diablo
12-04-2018, 04:26 PM
...and those would be considered MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS...that is anyone who's profession grants them access to the records.

Why are you being pugnacious? Devildeac specifically said that his son "works at Wexner Medical Center."

devildeac
12-04-2018, 04:34 PM
HIPAA certainly applies to anyone who works at a health organization (including support staff, such as cleaning people, HR, maintenance, PR etc) who works with protected information about anyone who uses their health organization as a customer. (I speak as a MD who has sat through numerous trainings on this).

It does not matter what someone has or has not disclosed about their own or anyone else's health condition if you are in one of the above categories. You still cannot disclose any information you learned at work.

If you are a random joe/josephine on the street and you repeat something you read or heard about someone's health then you are not involved in HIPAA. Even a doctor could repeat something they read on the web etc. about someone's medical history, provided they were not learning it in any professional capacity.

But if you learn about someone's (such as Urban Meyer's) health issues from something you saw, read or heard at a facility where he was a patient, and repeat that information without the persons express permission, than that is a HIPAA violation, and in many states is not only a civil problem but also a criminal act (a misdemeanor.)

So if the original poster's family member worked at a hospital visited by Urban Meyer and told others even the fact that he had seen the man there, or worse, repeated stuff he saw in the chart or overheard, he could be liable for a big fine or even a criminal prosecution. Just FYI

Let's put this to rest. As stated upthread, our son works at tOSU and has never seen/heard of/looked up anything about Urban Meyer's health issues in a work capacity. Ever. And, even if he did, he knows damn well that he's not allowed to, nor would he ever divulge any personal/medical information about any of his hospital contacts. He simply has become a secondary tOSU fan and was relating public information for crying our loud (aka FSS) he'd read/listened to on any/all of SBNation, Dailycaller, Bing, USA today, local newspapers/TV stations and/or any number of other news/information outlets that have printed/broadcast stories about Meyer's ongoing health issues.

devildeac
12-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Here are multiple sources for this common/public knowledge:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/10/30/urban-meyer-opens-up-in-interview-about-health-issues-cyst-in-brain/

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/12/urban-meyer-health-issues-cant-coach-cris-carter

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803632-ohio-state-coach-urban-meyer-details-health-issues-related-to-cyst-in-brain

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-coach-urban-meyer-says-hes-fine-health-scare-224609565.html

http://smokeroom.com/2018/10/09/urban-meyer-ohio-state-buckeyes-health-problems-cyst/

https://www.wdtn.com/sports/ohio-state-university/urban-meyer-addresses-health-issues-says-he-plans-to-coach-osu-in-2019/1563908188

OldPhiKap
12-04-2018, 05:13 PM
I have a bunion that is so big, we’ve named it “Lil’ Whiskers.”

Other than that though, I think we’ve beaten HIPAA to the ground by now. Just aayin’

Reilly
12-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Let's put this to rest. As stated upthread, our son works at tOSU and has never seen/heard of/looked up anything about Urban Meyer's health issues in a work capacity. Ever. And, even if he did, he knows damn well that he's not allowed to, nor would he ever divulge any personal/medical information about any of his hospital contacts. He simply has become a secondary tOSU fan and was relating public information for crying our loud (aka FSS) he'd read/listened to on any/all of SBNation, Dailycaller, Bing, USA today, local newspapers/TV stations and/or any number of other news/information outlets that have printed/broadcast stories about Meyer's ongoing health issues.

It's clear devildeac doth protest too much.

Can I have your son's bowl ticket (I doubt you will have scraped up enough for bail by then)?

devildeac
12-04-2018, 05:53 PM
It's clear devildeac doth protest too much.

Can I have your son's bowl ticket (I doubt you will have scraped up enough for bail by then)?

I'll respond to *almost* any post directed to/at me, yours and/or or the ones upthread (but I do have a short ignore list :p). The simple answer is that he doesn't have a bowl ticket.

Indoor66
12-04-2018, 06:52 PM
As I see it, there appears to be an element of virtual signaling going on and devildeac doesn't deserve this.

Reilly
12-04-2018, 07:05 PM
I'll respond to *almost* any post ...

If -- hypothetically speaking of course -- Urban's SYSTOLIC mm Hg level (upper number) were one weighty subject, I'd understand the reluctance ... but that isn't the number (errrr, case) is it?

OldPhiKap
12-04-2018, 07:09 PM
As I see it, there appears to be an element of virtual signaling going on and devildeac doesn't deserve this.

A number of folks are clearly working their way off the pre-game beer list.

devildeac
12-04-2018, 07:45 PM
If -- hypothetically speaking of course -- Urban's SYSTOLIC mm Hg level (upper number) were one weighty subject, I'd understand the reluctance ... but that isn't the number (errrr, case) is it?

Huh? Now you're really getting obtuse. Care to explain/elaborate a bit more?

If you'd like to read more about hypertension:

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2017/11/08/11/47/mon-5pm-bp-guideline-aha-2017

No tOSU coaches are mentioned in the article.

Here are a couple good sources for height/weight/BMI discussions/calculations:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.htm

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl2.htm

https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/is-body-mass-index-bmi-still-the-best-measure-of-body-fat

I'm just trying to be polite and answer questions here. Maybe more discussion on the OTB?

However, if you're still interested in more info about Urban, this thread's main topic, and more specifically, his weight, you can find it here and then calculate his BMI:

https://answersafrica.com/urban-meyer-wife-daughter-son-height.html

Disclaimer: The linked article makes no mention of his SBP (or DBP) so you're on your own discovering those #s.

devildeac
12-04-2018, 07:50 PM
A number of folks are clearly working their way off the pre-game beer list.

Indeed, but, I'd be violating something if I told you who they were.

I'll return to MtnDevil's post upthread and agree/emphasize that his (or anyone else's) health (and family) should be far more important priorities than retirement conspiracy theories.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2018, 10:43 PM

I'll return to MtnDevil's post upthread and agree/emphasize that his (or anyone else's) health (and family) should be far more important priorities than retirement conspiracy theories.

Urban is essentially my age. To have the health issues he and his family have to face is heart-wrenching. Again.

Hoping for a full recovery and a long happy life.

And I’m not a fan. But human, and a husband/father. Perspective.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-05-2018, 02:32 AM

*tips his hat*

Out of curiosity, you mentioned an "ignore list?" Is that metaphorical or a feature of this website I have been neglecting for far too long?

YmoBeThere
12-05-2018, 05:04 AM
*tips his hat*

Out of curiosity, you mentioned an "ignore list?" Is that metaphorical or a feature of this website I have been neglecting for far too long?

I've been ignoring that Ymm, Beer thread for years...

devildeac
12-05-2018, 07:18 AM
*tips his hat*

The latter ;).

Go to "Settings" at upper right of any page/any forum and click on it. Then, scan down "My Settings" on the left side of the page that appears and find "Edit Ignore List" about halfway down, click on it and begin to build your own private list of posters you'd rather not read;).

devildeac
12-05-2018, 07:21 AM
I've been ignoring that Ymm, Beer thread for years...

Your loss.

I mean, our loss.

I mean, come join us for a virtual glass of suds every once in a while. We'd be happy to suggest a style or two that might tickle your palate. :D

And, just to stay remotely on topic, the N&O today reports that Urban called Mack and notified him of his retirement. The writer also reported that Mack and Urban discussed "private health matters" and then had the audacity to mention those personal health matters publicly in their edition this AM <shudder>. :eek:

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 07:27 AM
And, just to stay remotely on topic, the N&O today reports that Urban called Mack and notified him of his retirement. The writer also reported that Mack and Urban discussed "private health matters" and then had the audacity to mention those personal health matters publicly in their edition this AM <shudder>. :eek:

Seems to me Urban talked about some related issues way back to the days following his Florida retirement......am I mis-remembering (it happens....)

devildeac
12-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Seems to me Urban talked about some related issues way back to the days following his Florida retirement...am I mis-remembering (it happens...)

What I read yesterday and today was that his UF retirement was due to chest pains (disclaimer: I have no relatives living/working in Florida :p) but couldn't find any other details, nor am I going to pursue that topic any longer. One of the articles I quoted yesterday, IIRC (not always accurate:rolleyes:), is that his intracranial cyst is apparently a congenital problem and he had surgery/drainage several years ago, medically guessing, to relieve intracranial pressure/headaches. We're leaving Friday AM to spend a long weekend in Columbus and have reservations at a Marriott property so 3 nights in a Holiday Inn for education/training/enlightenment will not be on our agenda.

jv001
12-05-2018, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=devildeac;1106105]What I read yesterday and today was that his UF retirement was due to chest pains (disclaimer: I have no relatives living/working in Florida :p) but couldn't find any other details, nor am I going to pursue that topic any longer. One of the articles I quoted yesterday, IIRC (not always accurate:rolleyes:), is that his intracranial cyst is apparently a congenital problem and he had surgery/drainage several years ago, medically guessing, to relieve intracranial pressure/headaches. We're leaving Friday AM to spend a long weekend in Columbus and have reservations at a Marriott property so 3 nights in a Holiday Inn for education/training/enlightenment will not be on our agenda.[/QUOTE

Sadly, I must spread some sporkz and could not sporkz devildeac. The disclaimer part of your post cracked me up.:D Glad I wasn't drinking my first cup of coffee when I read it. GoDuke!

gus
12-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Ahem yourself:

Public knowledge.

My post was really meant to be tongue in cheek. But since it turned into something... if you were only discussing public information, why did you need to cite a professional working at the hospital where Meyer likely would be seeking treatment?

devildeac
12-05-2018, 11:22 AM
My post was really meant to be tongue in cheek. But since it turned into something... if you were only discussing public information, why did you need to cite a professional working at the hospital where Meyer likely would be seeking treatment?

These always help: ;):o:rolleyes:

Our son has become a secondary tOSU fan who relayed that public information to me as I was unaware of Meyer's current health issues as a possible/reasonable explanation for his retirement.

Perhaps this would be analogous to K missing a game for dizziness (IIRC) a few years ago with some hospital testing conducted and our OOT family wondering why and I relate in my capacity as a fan (and physician with some Duke Med contacts that I in no way/shape/form would ever choose to use for that reason) some of the various radio/TV/newspaper/social media/hospital reports about when/why/how/who/what of any tests/data/statements the patient/family/university chooses to release. (I'll let the grammar police reconstruct that long, complicated, likely poorly punctuated/constructed, run-on sentence.:p).

Hope that helps.