PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #137 - Should Jack White be starting and a mini-interview with JRob

JasonEvans
12-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Two blow out wins form the bulk of this podcast and we even got to go in the locker room to talk to one of the stars of the Stetson game... for about 15 seconds. Plus, an extensive conversation about Jack White and his role moving forward. Oh, and you will enjoy us ranting about how awful and stupid the NCAA's new NET measuring stick is.

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-137-blow-outs-rotations-and-a-surprise-mini-interview

0:00 Thanks, Byrd Campbell
0:30 Sam wishes Donald a happy birthday and Jason moans about being old
3:00 Basketball recap time, Duke blows the doors off Indiana and Stetson
4:40 Jason wants to know if we are watching the most fun Duke team of all time
7:40 Sam asks Donald who the starters should be, which gets us into an extensive Jack White conversation which later turns into a Marquis Bolden conversation
20:00 A look ahead at Hartford and Yale. Jason says do not sleep on the Elis… they are fairly good.
25:20 Sam talks about Tre Jones and the injury bug, which gets us into some praise of Jordan Goldwire
26:45 Our sponsors and favorite lawyers, Byrd Campbell
27:20 Football news, we will be playing a bowl game in Shreveport. Yay?
31:20 We rip the NET and the NCAA for using it
40:15 Player of the week, we have 3 different choices
42:02 Sam sorta, kinda interviews Justin Robinson… briefly.
44:25 Parting shots – Jason on Zion’s money money money money
47:40 Parting shots – Donald on a surprising NBA star, Montrezl Harrell
51:45 Parting shots – Sam mocks UNC for signing Mack the Knife
53:45 A quick mention of the ACC-Big Ten challenge and how much UNC let the conference down
57:00 Bye y’all… Duke band, play us outom/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-137-blow-outs-rotations-and-a-surprise-mini-interview

BandAlum83
12-05-2018, 05:05 PM
I think I am with Jason on this one. I do like the flexibility we get by having Jack come off the bench.

DukieInBrasil
12-05-2018, 05:54 PM
I think I am with Jason on this one. I do like the flexibility we get by having Jack come off the bench.

While i like the idea of Jack off the bench too, the idea that the team is better to start the game with him on the court to jump on the opponent quickly is also very strong. If that group's not working, we still have 3 guys to come off the bench that bring different things to the table that K might want to go to.
Need stronger interior D? Javin. Need more 3pt shooting? Alex. Need a post presence? Big 'Ques.
I assume that K would be hesitant to really go to the rest of the bench in a first substitution situation, but Goldwire might also be called on if Tre had something come up, like 3 fouls before the first time out.

Personally, i think J-White as the 6th man is kind of ideal, b/c he's a smart player and he can get a sense of how the game's going in terms of officiating and opponent's focus. It seems like teams that like their small-ball lineup (ie death lineup at GSW) still like to start a C, and so far it seems that K likes that look for this team and so, uses Big 'Ques. Additionally, Big 'Ques, as mentioned in the podcast, has been a very competent shot-blocker, and that is definitely something worth getting into the mind of the opponent at the beginning of the game, as it may alter their desire to take it inside throughout the rest of the game even if he's not on the floor. My only gripe with that is that he seems to be somewhat incapable of maximizing his mismatch if paired against a smaller, quicker or otherwise not-C.

JasonEvans
12-05-2018, 06:25 PM
So... no one is going to comment on the fact that Sam went into the locker room with a recorder... and all he came out with was :15 of JRob and the observation that "Zion is a big man.".

BandAlum83
12-05-2018, 11:50 PM
So... no one is going to comment on the fact that Sam went into the locker room with a recorder... and all he came out with was :15 of JRob and the observation that "Zion is a big man.".

We all know Sam is on the 'cast for comic relief. :p

hsheffield
12-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Great pod you guys. Thanks for doing it!