PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Newly relevant (?) trivia question?

AustinDevil
12-03-2018, 02:17 PM
I see that our 5-3 women dropped from both sets of rankings in recent weeks, and as of last week received exactly one point in the Coaches' Poll to none in the AP. With two ranked teams coming up in the next three games, it is conceivable that the women will soon not be able to claim "RV" status.

Anyone care to hazard guesses as to when is the last time the Duke WBB program received zero votes in both polls?

HereBeforeCoachK
12-03-2018, 03:43 PM
I see that our 5-3 women dropped from both sets of rankings in recent weeks, and as of last week received exactly one point in the Coaches' Poll to none in the AP. With two ranked teams coming up in the next three games, it is conceivable that the women will soon not be able to claim "RV" status.

Anyone care to hazard guesses as to when is the last time the Duke WBB program received zero votes in both polls?

I'll say early years of Coach G....I'll say 96

Phredd3
12-03-2018, 03:57 PM

Assuming we received votes all through 2015-16, the last time was probably 1992, in Goestenkors' first year.

CameronBornAndBred
12-03-2018, 05:22 PM
I'm trying to figure out how Sylvia's girls, on a three game losing skid, got a vote in the AP. (Two of those at home.)
I was actually thinking Duke might show up with one or two today after the Wisconsin game.

Jedweb
12-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Don't know, but I suspect that the posters guessing the early Goestenkors years are correct. The disheartening thing is that this seems likely to become the norm for the rest of JPM's tenure. An occasional might choose Duke over Uconn for academics, but if she has offers from the Stanfords, ND's, Vandy's or UVa's of college ball, why Duke? JPM had several years' success in attracting talent which, well coached, could have competed with anyone. Those days are gone, their passing delayed for a couple of year by Becca and Lexie.

CameronBornAndBred
12-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Don't know, but I suspect that the posters guessing the early Goestenkors years are correct. The disheartening thing is that this seems likely to become the norm for the rest of JPM's tenure. An occasional might choose Duke over Uconn for academics, but if she has offers from the Stanfords, ND's, Vandy's or UVa's of college ball, why Duke? JPM had several years' success in attracting talent which, well coached, could have competed with anyone. Those days are gone, their passing delayed for a couple of year by Becca and Lexie.
Not with next year's class coming in. This season has multiple whammy's stacked against it, but next year we'll be back in the polls. Maybe only top 25, but we'll be there with regularity.

Jedweb
12-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Hope you're right, but none of the three is within shouting distance of top 25, and none is even top 50. We can be confident, though, that the 2019 - 2020 team will have a high turnover average - a consistent of JPM's Duke teams. i wish the team the best, and have been a Duke fan since the days of Bill Murray and Vic Bubas, but i'm hard pressed to be optimistic for so long as JPM is the WBB HC.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Don't know, but I suspect that the posters guessing the early Goestenkors years are correct. .

Well AustinDevil posted it as if he (she) knew the answer.......it's time to see who's right, if anyone, yet?

CameronBornAndBred
12-04-2018, 03:35 PM
As an aside to the trivia question, Charlie Creme has begun his bracketology for the women, and Duke isn't in. (They are listed, but with the "next four out".)

7 other ACC teams are dancing.
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

AustinDevil
12-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Well AustinDevil posted it as if he (she) knew the answer....it's time to see who's right, if anyone, yet?

Phredd3's "assuming" comment is correct: Duke dipped all the way out of the "RV" category during 2015-16. Before that, it was exactly between your two guesses of 1992 and 1996: early in the 1994 season, during which Duke entered the polls in weeks 9 (AP) and 10 (Coaches) and did not leave until 2015-16, and now again. Duke claims a continuous 24-year streak of being "ranked" in the media guide, so I suppose we will continue claiming that based on the time ranked at the start of this season.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Phredd3's "assuming" comment is correct: Duke dipped all the way out of the "RV" category during 2015-16. Before that, it was exactly between your two guesses of 1992 and 1996: early in the 1994 season, during which Duke entered the polls in weeks 9 (AP) and 10 (Coaches) and did not leave until 2015-16, and now again. Duke claims a continuous 24-year streak of being "ranked" in the media guide, so I suppose we will continue claiming that based on the time ranked at the start of this season.

Interesting trivia, thanks. When the other guys guessed 92, I started to think my 96 was a bit late......and it was.

Phredd3
12-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Interesting trivia, thanks. When the other guys guessed 92, I started to think my 96 was a bit late...and it was.
And I thought my '92 might be a bit early, and it was. So we're both right after all! :D