PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Hartford (Wed Dec 5th, 7pm, ESPN2) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
12-03-2018, 12:22 AM
Duke hosts Hartford this Wednesday.

AGDukesky
12-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Who will guard Vin Baker?

rocketeli
12-03-2018, 06:56 AM
Duke plays Hartford, Yale and Princeton upcoming. I'm imagining this scene at the scheduling office.

Duke scheduling person: "Well, it's all set then. I've got your signed contract right here. You know, sometimes down here we call Harvard "the Duke of the North. Heh-heh."
Hartford scheduling person: "Um, that's nice, I guess."
DSP: "So, how's the weather up there in Massachusetts?"
HSP: "Well, actually, we're in Connecticut."
DSP: (looks at contract again) "$%#@."

OZZIE4DUKE
12-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Duke plays Hartford, Yale and Princeton upcoming. I'm imagining this scene at the scheduling office.

Duke scheduling person: "Well, it's all set then. I've got your signed contract right here. You know, sometimes down here we call Harvard "the Duke of the North. Heh-heh."
Hartford scheduling person: "Um, that's nice, I guess."
DSP: "So, how's the weather up there in Massachusetts?"
HSP: "Well, actually, we're in Connecticut."
DSP: (looks at contract again) "$%#@."
We won’t play Harvard during the regular season while K coaches Duke and Amaker coaches Harvard. K hates to play his protégés. LGD GTHc!

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2018, 08:42 AM
We won’t play Harvard during the regular season while K coaches Duke and Amaker coaches Harvard. K hates to play his protégés. LGD GTHc!

So Capel isn't a protege?

-jk
12-03-2018, 08:59 AM
So Capel isn't a protege?

Capel isn't optional...

-jk

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Capel isn't optional...

-jk

While true, Capel to Pitt was optional. And Coach K knew he'd have to play Capel 1-2 per year.

chrishoke
12-03-2018, 09:32 AM
While true, Capel to Pitt was optional. And Coach K knew he'd have to play Capel 1-2 per year.

Not for K.

UrinalCake
12-03-2018, 09:40 AM
I'm imagining this scene at the scheduling office.

Samford University and Columbia College (SC) tried to pull the same scam, but Duke didn’t fall for it.

DavidBenAkiva
12-03-2018, 10:11 AM
For a team that features 7 seniors among its top 9 players, the Hartford Hawks are not a particularly good team. The stat that jumps out is the prolifically poor 3-point shooting. The Hawks have hoisted 234 3-point attempts this season, which is the 19th most in all of college basketball. They have made 1 in 3 of their attempts, however, which is the 200th best mark in the sport. Maybe they should be the Hartford Brick Layers?

Leading the charge is 6'8" senior John Carroll. He, along with fellow forward George Blagojevic (an Australian with no relation to the former and incarcerated Governor of Illinois as far as I can tell) and guards J.R. Lynch (5'10") and Jason Dunne (6'4") are the primary offensive weapons. No other player on the team has a usage rate above 13.5%. The diminutive Lynch is deadly accurate from the charity stripe, hitting 92.7% of his shots on the year. But he has not been able to translate that success to shooting from distance, where he is just 8 of 41 on the year (19.5%). He has a history of being a better shooter, however. He does have a fairly nice assist-to-turnover ratio and has been a real pest, racking up 2.2 steals per game.

There's not a whole more to say about this team. They force a lot of turnovers per game, but they cough the ball up a ton as well. They are not a good defensive team surrendering 56.9% shooting inside the arc (319th in the nation). There is absolutely no shot blocking on the roster. Looks at the rim should be available for every player. Expect Duke to get a lot of easy buckets off a steals and sloppy passing. Duke is favored by 34 in this one and it might not be that close. Things will be a little tougher against Yale and Princeton before a test against Texas Tech.

Troublemaker
12-03-2018, 11:39 AM

I'm sure if Tommy Amaker could land a job at Syracuse when Boeheim retires, Coach K would fully endorse it, just as he did with Capel to Pitt

There's obviously a hierarchy of preferences.

1. What's best for the protege / former assistant's career
2. Not playing the protege / former assistant

#2 can be done when possible, but #1 is more important.

brlftz
12-03-2018, 12:37 PM
I'm sure if Tommy Amaker could land a job at Syracuse when Boeheim retires, Coach K would fully endorse it, just as he did with Capel to Pitt

There's obviously a hierarchy of preferences.

1. What's best for the protege / former assistant's career
2. Not playing the protege / former assistant

#2 can be done when possible, but #1 is more important.

That would be relevant if K is still coaching when Boeheim retires, but I used to wonder if they were locked in a game of retirement chicken. Until those Syracuse wins got vacated it wouldn't have taken too long for Boeheim to catch up in overall wins if he outlasted K. I was bummed about the vacated wins for that reason alone.

Neals384
12-03-2018, 06:03 PM
George Blagojevic (an Australian with no relation to the former and incarcerated Governor of Illinois as far as I can tell)

Maybe no relation, but I'll bet it gives the crazies some ideas.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2018, 08:15 PM
The University of Hartford is a private university that was founded in 1957, through the amalgamation of three older schools — the oldest being The Hartford Art School in 1877. Founders of that art school included Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Mark Twain’s wife Olivia Clemens. The Twain House is in Hartford as well, a wonderful place to visit when in the greater Hartford area.

The university has about 6,000 total students (undergrad and grad). Hartford is a member of the America East Conference, although their golf teams compete as members of different leagues. They are the Hawks, and their mascot is Howie the Hawk. Notable alum of the school and predecessors include Jeff Bagwell, Vin Baker, Sean Newcomb, Dionne Warwick and departing Utah congresswoman Mia Love. The Hawks come in at 3-6 so far on the season.

The forecast high for Hartford on Wednesday is 36, with a low of 23. No Aztecs expected.

Let’s give a warm Southern welcome to our first Connecticut visitors of the month, the Hartford Hawks!

Kedsy
12-03-2018, 08:26 PM
No Aztecs expected.

What about Visigoths?

OldPhiKap
12-03-2018, 08:27 PM
What about Visigoths?

For a road game, doubtful. But stay vigilant, my friend.

gofurman
12-04-2018, 07:36 AM
The University of Hartford is a private university that was founded in 1957, through the amalgamation of three older schools — the oldest being The Hartford Art School in 1877. Founders of that art school included Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Mark Twain’s wife Olivia Clemens. The Twain House is in Hartford as well, a wonderful place to visit when in the greater Hartford area.

The university has about 6,000 total students (undergrad and grad). Hartford is a member of the America East Conference, although their golf teams compete as members of different leagues. They are the Hawks, and their mascot is Howie the Hawk. Notable alum of the school and predecessors include Jeff Bagwell, Vin Baker, Sean Newcomb, Dionne Warwick and departing Utah congresswoman Mia Love. The Hawks come in at 3-6 so far on the season.

The forecast high for Hartford on Wednesday is 36, with a low of 23. No Aztecs expected.

Let’s give a warm Southern welcome to our first Connecticut visitors of the month, the Hartford Hawks!

Not that relevant but my friend was Vin Bakers roommate and former basketball teammate. He keeps telling me they played Duke and UNLV while he was there from about 88-92. I can't find a record of it but I don't say anything to him as I don't want to come across wrong.

Anyone see where we played Hartford (w Vin Baker) in that time frame or close ??? Late 80s. Early 90s

OldPhiKap
12-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Not that relevant but my friend was Vin Bakers roommate and former basketball teammate. He keeps telling me they played Duke and UNLV while he was there from about 88-92. I can't find a record of it but I don't say anything to him as I don't want to come across wrong.

Anyone see where we played Hartford (w Vin Baker) in that time frame or close ??? Late 80s. Early 90s

Per GoDuke.com, Duke has never played Hartford. http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5480047.pdf

And per Wikipedia, Baker played his entire college career at Hartford: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Baker

But my sports stories get better over time too. Just nod and smile . . . .

devildeac
12-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Per GoDuke.com, Duke has never played Hartford. http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5480047.pdf

And per Wikipedia, Baker played his entire college career at Hartford: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Baker

But my sports stories get better over time too. Just nod and smile . . . .

"Smile more.

Talk less."

Phredd3
12-04-2018, 02:36 PM
"Smile more.

Talk less."
To the parents in the crowd:

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave."

BLPOG
12-05-2018, 12:54 PM
There's a game tonight!

(The thread was in danger of falling to page two.)

BigWayne
12-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Who will guard Vin Baker?

My guess would be Justin Robinson on Feb. 5th when BC comes to Durham.

BigWayne
12-05-2018, 01:39 PM

The major teams that Hartford played during his time there were Depaul and UConn. They also played Duquesne, which is as close to playing Duke as you can get from looking at their schedule.

camion
12-05-2018, 02:00 PM
The major teams that Hartford played during his time there were Depaul and UConn. They also played Duquesne, which is as close to playing Duke as you can get from looking at their schedule.

But, but, but... I'm sure I was there, in the gym (Cameron I think), with about 70,000 other people. :confused:

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 03:43 PM
. They also played Duquesne, which is as close to playing Duke as you can get from looking at their schedule.

Yes, well, they ARE the Dukes......

-jk
12-05-2018, 06:22 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

AGDukesky
12-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Offense is a bit sluggish but defensive effort is very good

AGDukesky
12-05-2018, 07:20 PM
0-8 on mostly wide open 3s and a Zion missed dunk, this might not be Duke’s night on offense...

Utley
12-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Thank good we are playing Hartford

MChambers
12-05-2018, 07:27 PM
The score looks like a UVa game.

AGDukesky
12-05-2018, 07:35 PM
How can every bounce go one team’s way?! Duke has played well enough to lead by 30- minus missing so many easy open shots...

Saratoga2
12-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Hartford is betting Duke can't hit its 3's and so far they are right. Cam hasn't been close, AOC missed two. Those are are two best from outside but are not looking like it. Hope we get it going in the second half.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2018, 07:56 PM

Best. Crawl. Ever.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Hartford is betting Duke can't hit its 3's and so far they are right. Cam hasn't been close, AOC missed two. Those are are two best from outside but are not looking like it. Hope we get it going in the second half.

Paging Trifecta Dundee.....

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Cam needs to show some intensity!

WHOneedsSOX
12-05-2018, 08:10 PM
This is what teams will do to Duke all season. Going to have to find a way to score when their 3's aren't falling.

slower
12-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Cam needs to show some intensity!
Cam is working himself down the draft board. It's early in the season, I know, but...

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:22 PM
I've said it before....this team (and most OAD composed teams) can't/won't play m to m defense. Simply put, we need to play much more ZONE. This performance is pathetic!

-jk
12-05-2018, 08:24 PM
I've said it before...this team (and most OAD composed teams) can't/won't play m to m defense. Simply put, we need to play much more ZONE. This performance is pathetic!

But if they learn it, they’re really good. (cf 2015)

-jk

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Wow!.....I think I actually saw Cam jump.

pfrduke
12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
I've said it before...this team (and most OAD composed teams) can't/won't play m to m defense. Simply put, we need to play much more ZONE. This performance is pathetic!

I don’t know what game you’re watching but defense is not the problem. Hartford is on pace to score 55

MChambers
12-05-2018, 08:27 PM

They are only #8 in Pomeroy defense. Time to blow it up and play a junk zone!

Seriously, how old are you? Have you watched nearly 40 years of Coach K teams? This team isn’t going zone, except in special circumstances.

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:28 PM
I don’t know what game you’re watching but defense is not the problem. Hartford is on pace to score 55

Defense is the problem....if it was a top 20 team, they would be on pace to score 85-90!

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:33 PM
They are only #8 in Pomeroy defense. Time to blow it up and play a junk zone!

Seriously, how old are you? Have you watched nearly 40 years of Coach K teams? This team isn’t going zone, except in special circumstances.

That's the issue, the game has changed when it comes to OAD's. They ARE a "special circumstance" ....and they'll never play m to m like it used to be played by K's teams in past.

devilsadvocate85
12-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Defense is the problem...if it was a top 20 team, they would be on pace to score 85-90!

You’re kidding right? We’ve played man all year and allowed 80 twice. Once to a Gonzaga team that is experienced and shot very well. The other to Kentucky in a game where we scored 118. Right now our offensive efficiency against a zone is the problem.

MChambers
12-05-2018, 08:39 PM
That's the issue, the game has changed when it comes to OAD's. They ARE a "special circumstance" ...and they'll never play m to m like it used to be played by K's teams in past.

Yes, look at that 2015 team. Oh wait . . .

duke4ever19
12-05-2018, 08:39 PM
That's the issue, the game has changed when it comes to OAD's. They ARE a "special circumstance" ...and they'll never play m to m like it used to be played by K's teams in past.

Do they need to play defense like one of K's old teams in order to win the national championship this year?

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:41 PM
You’re kidding right? We’ve played man all year and allowed 80 twice. Once to a Gonzaga team that is experienced and shot very well. The other to Kentucky in a game where we scored 118. Right now our offensive efficiency against a zone is the problem.

Definitely not kidding. Gonzaga beat us badly on D.....and my point is made with Kentucky - another OAD team that can't play m to m.

MChambers
12-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Interesting that with about 10 minutes left K went small, putting White in with the four freshman.

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Yes, look at that 2015 team. Oh wait . . .

2015 team had some senior leadership help; moreover, that's one team in 10+ years.

Old Dukie
12-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Do they need to play defense like one of K's old teams in order to win the national championship this year?

Absolutely! It won't happen without D!

pfrduke
12-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Man it’s just a shame this team doesn’t play any defense....

devilsadvocate85
12-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Definitely not kidding. Gonzaga beat us badly on D....and my point is made with Kentucky - another OAD team that can't play m to m.

Your argument doesn’t pass the statistical or eye test. I’m not saying it’s a great defensive team, but with our ability to be explosive on offense, I’ll take what I’m seeing any day.

arnie
12-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Javin with his best game. Made all 5 shots, rebounded well and get this, zero turnovers. No moving screens!

devilsince1977
12-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Now, if RJ wasn't so darn inefficient he might be able to play a little basketball.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Damn our defense sucks

Tripping William
12-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Damn our defense sucks

“IKR,” as the kids type. If only we could find some way to turn defense into offense. It might keep the “Concerned Iron Dukes” at bay.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2018, 08:55 PM
“Ikr,” as the kids type. If only we could find some way to turn defense into offense...

Yup. They torched us for 50.

82-50, for those keeping score at home.

duke4ever19
12-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Absolutely! It won't happen without D!

I just don't see the correlation between this game and complaining about our defense.

As of this post, Hartford has 52 points with nine seconds left.