PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 113, Stetson 49 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
12-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

proelitedota
12-01-2018, 09:06 PM
2nd half complete waste of time.

Zion looked to have had enough of RJ on the bench this game and switched seats with White.

DaleDuke7
12-01-2018, 09:06 PM
We did what we were supposed to. Great to see guys like Robinson and Besser get some shine.

Greenberg not sure how much Duke “earned” today. What an idiotic statement.

MChambers
12-01-2018, 09:09 PM
I know Stetson isn't very good, but I still was impressed by Duke's defense. Tre Jones was unbelievable and his teammates were all solid.

slower
12-01-2018, 09:10 PM

Zion looked to have had enough of RJ on the bench this game and switched seats with White.

Wow. I thought they were just joking with each other, but if that was serious, then...

Son of Mojo
12-01-2018, 09:13 PM
We did what we were supposed to. Great to see guys like Robinson and Besser get some shine.

Greenberg not sure how much Duke “earned” today. What an idiotic statement.

I'd love to not see him or Alexander on any Duke broadcasts. What do they contribute?

HereBeforeCoachK
12-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Wow. I thought they were just joking with each other, but if that was serious, then...

....yeah, we better hope they were joking around....

proelitedota
12-01-2018, 09:18 PM
...yeah, we better hope they were joking around...

At least RJ was joking around. I wouldn't look too much into it.

lotusland
12-01-2018, 09:32 PM

Second half happened so JRob could dominate with 3 straight 3s and a beautiful steal and break away slam!

Hancock 4 Duke
12-01-2018, 09:44 PM
Anybody have a video of RJ/Zion on the bench? I must’ve missed that

gep
12-01-2018, 09:48 PM
At least RJ was joking around. I wouldn't look too much into it.

What little I think I saw, RJ seemed to be having fun, but Zion appeared genuinely annoyed???? Looked weird...:confused:

SavDukeGrad
12-01-2018, 10:00 PM
What little I think I saw, RJ seemed to be having fun, but Zion appeared genuinely annoyed???? Looked weird...:confused:

Actually I interpreted that very differently. I thought they were goofing around, but trying not to laugh lest it be misinterpreted as disrespectful to the opponent and game at hand, given the score. It seems unlikely to me that Zion would be annoyed while the reserves were playing in a game we were winning by 60.

Edit to add:
Check out Javin’s player interview with Justin after the game in the locker room, with cameos by Zion and R.J. I don’t think we have anything to worry about.

Neals384
12-01-2018, 10:08 PM
After that spanking, I wonder if the Hatters are, well, mad.

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-01-2018, 10:11 PM
After that spanking, I wonder if the Hatters are, well, mad.

groan. ;-)
Love, Ima

UrinalCake
12-01-2018, 10:18 PM
I got to attend the game! My assorted thoughts:

- Seeing Zion in person is just striking. His sheer size and physique don't necessarily carry over to seeing him on TV. He just dwarfs everyone else, even elite athletes who are very large.
- Alex threw down some sick dunks in warmups.
- Tre's on the ball defense looked great. Obviously a low level of competition, but I can see why K describes him in the same vein as Wojo/Duhon/Hurley.
- Bolden did a decent job hedging on ball screens. The team still needs some work on help and recovering when Bolden is stuck on the ballhandler and hasn't yet released, but he's going to have to do this effectively in order to stay on the court because opponents are going to constantly target him with pick and rolls.
- It was nice to see Cam have a big game. He wasn't the leading scorer but he appeared to have free rein to shoot at will, and he scored so easily. Could have had 40 if he wanted. He does look a little lackluster on defense at times, like when guarding an inbounds he just sort of lazily holds up his arms, but at other times he does look engaged on that end.
- Zion's shot mechanics don't look very good, at least to my untrained eye. He sort of flings the ball without a lot of touch. I don't expect this to improve much over the course of the season unfortunately.
- The last 15 minutes of the game were brutal, until the late flurry of activity - Besser getting a bucket and Robinson getting the breakaway dunk. It made me question why we scheduled this game against such an awful opponent.

weezie
12-01-2018, 10:18 PM

Nooo, it wasn't. They were definitely goofing around and about to get yelled at by the coaches.

We do forget that these are still teenagers being silly at times. I think word came down to knock it off Mr. Williamson and Mr. Barrett, unless they decided a few thousand up/downs were worth the trouble.

Saratoga2
12-01-2018, 10:37 PM
I got to attend the game! My assorted thoughts:

- Seeing Zion in person is just striking. His sheer size and physique don't necessarily carry over to seeing him on TV. He just dwarfs everyone else, even elite athletes who are very large.
- Alex threw down some sick dunks in warmups.
- Tre's on the ball defense looked great. Obviously a low level of competition, but I can see why K describes him in the same vein as Wojo/Duhon/Hurley.
- Bolden did a decent job hedging on ball screens. The team still needs some work on help and recovering when Bolden is stuck on the ballhandler and hasn't yet released, but he's going to have to do this effectively in order to stay on the court because opponents are going to constantly target him with pick and rolls.
- It was nice to see Cam have a big game. He wasn't the leading scorer but he appeared to have free rein to shoot at will, and he scored so easily. Could have had 40 if he wanted. He does look a little lackluster on defense at times, like when guarding an inbounds he just sort of lazily holds up his arms, but at other times he does look engaged on that end.
- Zion's shot mechanics don't look very good, at least to my untrained eye. He sort of flings the ball without a lot of touch. I don't expect this to improve much over the course of the season unfortunately.
- The last 15 minutes of the game were brutal, until the late flurry of activity - Besser getting a bucket and Robinson getting the breakaway dunk. It made me question why we scheduled this game against such an awful opponent.

I agree. Hard to get much out of playing an opponent that is not in the least competitive. It was like a practice but our second string is probably better than their first.

Dukeford
12-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before. But what does Justin have underneath his jersey, between his shoulder blades?
At the end of the game, the camera focused on him from behind and you could see some type of lump under his jersey.
It looked like a very small cube shaped device of some type.

devilsadvocate85
12-01-2018, 10:51 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before. But what does Justin have underneath his jersey, between his shoulder blades?
At the end of the game, the camera focused on him from behind and you could see some type of lump under his jersey.
It looked like a very small cube shaped device of some type.

They all have them. It’s the tracking device that allows for motion analytics.

robed deity
12-01-2018, 10:53 PM
So after this game, Duke's kenpom rating is #1 by a greater margin than what separates #s 2-8. Obviously, this is not the be all end all, and Duke has lost when many haven't, but...I like this.

Dukeford
12-01-2018, 10:56 PM
They all have them. It’s the tracking device that allows for motion analytics.

Ah, big data. I knew they subscribed to that type of program a couple of years ago, so I wondered if it had something to do with that. His must be more noticeable due to fit of his uniform or something. Thanks

uh_no
12-01-2018, 11:27 PM
KP had this as a 99.98% win for duke....which is the highest i've personally ever seen.

Efficiency:
O: 138 -> 128 adjusted
D: 60->69 adjusted

You can't draw much from performances when the teams are that outmatched (which is why KP discounts the results the further teams ratings are from eachother), but duke took care of business. I'm largely going to expcet more of the same from hartford and princeton, and even yale, despite their better rating. TT is the next thing of interest on the schedule for me....who had a big comeback today to win after being down double digits.

devilsadvocate85
12-01-2018, 11:40 PM
KP had this as a 99.98% win for duke...which is the highest i've personally ever seen.

Efficiency:
O: 138 -> 128 adjusted
D: 60->69 adjusted

You can't draw much from performances when the teams are that outmatched (which is why KP discounts the results the further teams ratings are from eachother), but duke took care of business. I'm largely going to expcet more of the same from hartford and princeton, and even yale, despite their better rating. TT is the next thing of interest on the schedule for me...who had a big comeback today to win after being down double digits.

Interestingly, Yale beat Miami tonight.

uh_no
12-01-2018, 11:44 PM
Interestingly, Yale beat Miami tonight.

I'm going to liquidly lubricatedly double down on this one. I will bet you a pie that duke beats yale easily.

devilsadvocate85
12-01-2018, 11:56 PM
I'm going to liquidly lubricatedly double down on this one. I will bet you a pie that duke beats yale easily.

My observation had nothing to do with expectations of Yale giving Duke a tough test and more the surprise that Miami lost to them.

uh_no
12-02-2018, 12:10 AM
My observation had nothing to do with expectations of Yale giving Duke a tough test and more the surprise that Miami lost to them.

not going to put your money where your mouth is, then?

fine.

I'll continue to put my Elysian IPAs where my mouth is.

Kedsy
12-02-2018, 12:55 AM
Two things about advanced stats: (1) today's game was over so early, the advanced stats are probably close to meaningless -- as is perhaps obvious from the fact that Justin Robinson was tied for our 4th leading scorer (with 13 points), in 12 minutes. With that in mind, my comments on each stat will be minimal (or nonexistent), unless particularly noteworthy; (2) Billy_Dat asked me to explain, for each stat, where I draw the good vs bad line and why -- and I will do that sometime in the next couple weeks, but not tonight.

ADVANCED STATS

Possessions: 81.87 (our 2nd-fastest game of the season, behind the UK game)

OFFENSE

oRtg: 1.38 (our adjusted oRtg was 1.29, which is a little above average for Duke but really good for pretty much everyone else).
eFG%: 65.4%
3pt%: 35.3%
2pt%: 75.0% (this is a "wow" number, even against Stetson)
%threes: 43.6%
FT rate: 23.1%
OR%: 54.1% (another wow number; best OR% of the season)
TO%: 20.8% (too high, even in a game like this)
a/to: 1.71:1
%assisted: 64.4%
fast break pts: 34 fb pts for 30.1%

DEFENSE

dRtg: 0.60 (adjusted, that's 0.69; can't complain about that)
eFG%: 33.3%
3pt%: 8.7% (stunningly low, but I'm not sure we can give Duke all the credit for this)
2pt%: 46.2%
%threes: 37.1%
FT rate: 21.0%
DR%: 69.6% (this isn't terrible, but against a team like Stetson, you'd hope for better, even with the lineup we trotted out there for most of the 2nd half)
TO%: 31.8% (best performance of the season, by a fair amount)
a/to: 0.42:1
%assisted: 55.0%
fast break pts: 7 fb pts for 14.3%
block%: 8.1%; 10.3% of 2-point shots

In sum, this is what happens statistically when you win by 64 points.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2018, 01:14 AM
I got to attend the game!

I jokingly messaged a few friends that I wasn't tuning in to the game because painting and listening to music was going to be more fun.
And I didn't watch one single second. But...there's a caveat to this. If I had been there, I would have loved it.
Blowouts are rare air, regardless of the opponent. I've never seen one of this proportion, so there's that. And you get to see guys that you never get to see, actually play!

So, I love my painting that I finished during the game whilst dancing to whoever Pandora wanted me to, but I also love UC's opening statement. That's a memory ever lasting. Very happy he got to go and tell the hats to drive home safely.

UrinalCake
12-02-2018, 08:23 AM
^ thanks CBB; attending a game is always a blast, even in a yawner like this. I was expecting the crowd to be thin by Cameron standards, but it was packed even in the corner sections. The students need some work learning how to stay consistently loud and involved, which I’m sure will come just as soon as they get off my lawn.

I was also thinking that games like this will probably help our NET rating, which only factors in strength of opponent a little bit. It relies on UNadjusted efficiency ratings among other things, so beating up on crappy opponents seems to boost your rating.

MChambers
12-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Ah, big data. I knew they subscribed to that type of program a couple of years ago, so I wondered if it had something to do with that. His must be more noticeable due to fit of his uniform or something. Thanks

The really big data comes from Zion's tracker.

Clipsfan
12-02-2018, 08:29 AM
So after this game, Duke's kenpom rating is #1 by a greater margin than what separates #s 2-8. Obviously, this is not the be all end all, and Duke has lost when many haven't, but...I like this.

What's scary is that our kenpom rating includes more significantly worse minutes statistically from deep bench than normal. Our starters and key reserves have performed at a very high level and Kenpom isn't accurately reflecting their potential.

DukeDevil
12-02-2018, 08:46 AM
In blowout games like these, I try to look at things beyond putting the ball in the hoop. It was clear that defense was the message in practice this week, and I really appreciated that everyone seems to have taken that to heart. Again, an overmatched (which is an understatement) opponent but regardless of the opponent, effort is effort.

It seems every game Tre has at least one transition pass that just makes my jaw drop. This game it was the top play on the duke blueplanet video top plays video. It just blows my mind that he can gather the ball, assess the full court situation, and thread the needle so well and so fast. His ability to know exactly where everyone else is on the floor at all times and to put the ball exactly where it needs to be is so impressive.

InSpades
12-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Tre Jones is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. 15 minutes, 3 steals, 7 assists, 0 turnovers and 1 shot. Not one shot!

Hard to take much from a game like this but I love how he defers to his teammates in games like this but when they need him to score he's more than capable.

Also love that he gets after it on defense.

DoWorkDukie
12-02-2018, 12:59 PM
The biggest reality of this team right now is- Can we force live ball turnovers to get into transition?

We are the best transition team I've ever seen in CBB, but experienced teams like Gonzaga and even Auburn, to a lesser degree, will take care of the ball and slow the game down.

I'm not saying these games are meaningless, but our biggest weakness is when we are letting teams score and unable to push the ball into transition. Glad we were able to do that at a high level, but I hope we can get reps against opponents who slow the ball down. IMO, every single march becomes a slow, half court march. Building leads via transition is important, but we'll need to find ways for Tre, Z, Cam, and RJ to get high percentage shots in the halfcourt. We definitely generated those looks today, so it was nice to see the squad completely crush an undermatched opponent.

Old Dukie
12-02-2018, 01:39 PM

It did look WEIRD.....but I think Zion was definitely annoyed. Coaches need to be aware!

Old Dukie
12-02-2018, 01:48 PM
The biggest reality of this team right now is- Can we force live ball turnovers to get into transition?

We are the best transition team I've ever seen in CBB, but experienced teams like Gonzaga and even Auburn, to a lesser degree, will take care of the ball and slow the game down.

I'm not saying these games are meaningless, but our biggest weakness is when we are letting teams score and unable to push the ball into transition. Glad we were able to do that at a high level, but I hope we can get reps against opponents who slow the ball down. IMO, every single march becomes a slow, half court march. Building leads via transition is important, but we'll need to find ways for Tre, Z, Cam, and RJ to get high percentage shots in the halfcourt. We definitely generated those looks today, so it was nice to see the squad completely crush an undermatched opponent.

AGREE....great in transition - but the more skilled teams will guard the ball better and reduce those chances. It all boils down to DEFENSE - to accompany what is already a potent offense. Duke coaches need to instill incessantly the importance and necessity to play with more intensity on D. Otherwise, it will all be for naught!

BandAlum83
12-02-2018, 01:49 PM
It did look WEIRD....but I think Zion was definitely annoyed. Coaches need to be aware!

How right you are!! Imagine if the coaches hadn't benched Laettner 3 games for his constant hazing hazing of Hurley. We wouldn't have won one championship, let alone back to back!

/sarcasm

It reminded me of two brothers teasing each other. Nothing to see here.

jimsumner
12-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Do you recall the early 1990s UNLV teams?

Tripping William
12-02-2018, 06:43 PM
Do you recall the early 1990s UNLV teams?

Yep. They were called Runnin’ Rebels for a reason.

Steven43
12-02-2018, 09:41 PM
The students need some work learning how to stay consistently loud and involved, which I’m sure will come just as soon as they get off my lawn.
I’m honestly not intending to specifically call you out, Cake, You’re an excellent poster. I just don’t fully understand the fairly common DBR concern with all things related to the student section at Cameron. Over the years I have read literally hundreds, if not thousands, of DBR commentaries assessing the students’ cheering (or lack thereof). It seems kind of odd to concern ourselves so much with it. If the students want to cheer, they’ll cheer. If not, they won’t. Do other fans around the country care as much as we do about the cheering of students?

gep
12-02-2018, 09:44 PM
It did look WEIRD...but I think Zion was definitely annoyed. Coaches need to be aware!

OK... I re-watched the game. This occurred in the second half. As much as Zion looked annoyed, I think it was more a "teasing"back-and-forth kind of stuff. In fact, a couple of minutes after that exchange, Zion had his arms around RJ on the right an Cam on the left. Then about a minute after that, Zion and RJ were chuckling to each other, looking like they were having fun... So, yes, probably nothing to see here...:cool:

NSDukeFan
12-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Yep. They were called Runnin’ Rebels for a reason.
The reason being that it’s their team name? They were awesome.

UrinalCake
12-04-2018, 09:57 AM
I’m honestly not intending to specifically call you out, Cake, You’re an excellent poster. I just don’t fully understand the fairly common DBR concern with all things related to the student section at Cameron. Over the years I have read literally hundreds, if not thousands, of DBR commentaries assessing the students’ cheering (or lack thereof). It seems kind of odd to concern ourselves so much with it.

Appreciate the kind words! I guess for me I feel like the Crazies have a long-standing reputation as being the best fans in the country, and Cameron as the hardest venue in which to play. I take a lot of pride in having been part of that during my student days, and would like to see it continue. So when I’m fortunate to get to attend a game and the environment feels anything less than amazing, it feels like we’re starting to lose something.

But I wholely acknowledge that a.) fan interest has declined everywhere, across all sports, b.) when I was a student the older fans said the exact same thing about my generation, and c.) it’s a dumb thing to get worked up about. But that’s all part of being a fan!

rsvman
12-04-2018, 04:20 PM
It also seems to me that as time goes on, each group of fans gets to participate in the "it's not like it used to be" festival, or maybe even revel a little bit in the idea that it was better when "we" were there.

I don't think it's terribly dissimilar to the constant grousing of each generation about how the following generation is stupider, lazier, more shiftless, less productive, more profane, less respectful, etc., etc., etc. This has been going on as long as humans have been able to communicate.

The current group of Crazies will undoubtedly be on this board in 15 or 20 years telling stories about how much better the cheers were when they were students.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is almost not within the realm of possibility that every single group of students is worse than the ones before, through time immemorial. That would make the bar WAY too high for the crazies of 30 years ago, and impossibly low for the crazies of 30 years from now. Same goes for people in general. No possible way the people from 100 years ago were as much better than we are as all the generational "steps" would have you believe, and there is similarly no way that people 100 years from now could be as low as they ought to be if people's perceptions of generational devolution were even remotely close to what is actually happening.

In short, it's mostly a perception issue, IMO.

CDu
12-04-2018, 04:28 PM
It also seems to me that as time goes on, each group of fans gets to participate in the "it's not like it used to be" festival, or maybe even revel a little bit in the idea that it was better when "we" were there.

I don't think it's terribly dissimilar to the constant grousing of each generation about how the following generation is stupider, lazier, more shiftless, less productive, more profane, less respectful, etc., etc., etc. This has been going on as long as humans have been able to communicate.

The current group of Crazies will undoubtedly be on this board in 15 or 20 years telling stories about how much better the cheers were when they were students.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is almost not within the realm of possibility that every single group of students is worse than the ones before, through time immemorial. That would make the bar WAY too high for the crazies of 30 years ago, and impossibly low for the crazies of 30 years from now. Same goes for people in general. No possible way the people from 100 years ago were as much better than we are as all the generational "steps" would have you believe, and there is similarly no way that people 100 years from now could be as low as they ought to be if people's perceptions of generational devolution were even remotely close to what is actually happening.

In short, it's mostly a perception issue, IMO.

I think this is somewhat true. However, I'd note that (a) the student section has - due to lack of attendance - decreased in size over the last 15 years; (b) TV coverage is ubiquitous to the degree that some things that may have been okay years ago are not today; and (c) originality is more challenging over time. I think the first two factors probably DO suggest the Crazies are not what they used to be. In fact, the first one is absolute evidence of this(students stopped showing up regularly, thus lost some of their "seats"), and may be in part due to the increase in TV access to games (along with other factors including Duke's rise in academic standing). The third is more of a "everyone is doing 'Crazy' stuff these days, so our environment isn't as relatively crazy as it used to be".

-jk
12-04-2018, 06:20 PM
I think this is somewhat true. However, I'd note that (a) the student section has - due to lack of attendance - decreased in size over the last 15 years; (b) TV coverage is ubiquitous to the degree that some things that may have been okay years ago are not today; and (c) originality is more challenging over time. I think the first two factors probably DO suggest the Crazies are not what they used to be. In fact, the first one is absolute evidence of this(students stopped showing up regularly, thus lost some of their "seats"), and may be in part due to the increase in TV access to games (along with other factors including Duke's rise in academic standing). The third is more of a "everyone is doing 'Crazy' stuff these days, so our environment isn't as relatively crazy as it used to be".

I miss the full-on, surround-sound Crazies...

-jk

BandAlum83
12-04-2018, 06:37 PM
I miss the full-on, surround-sound Crazies...

-jk

^^^^^this^^^^

Totally

TruBlu
12-04-2018, 06:49 PM
It is also harder to be creative and loud when the piped in music is deafening. There might be some great cheers that are being drowned out.

UrinalCake
12-04-2018, 08:24 PM
80's: throw condoms on the court
90's: throw pizza boxes on the court
2000's: throw your hands in the air
today: stare at your phone and watch a YouTube highlight of people throwing things

MChambers
12-04-2018, 08:48 PM
90's: throw pizza boxes on the court
2000's: throw your hands in the air
today: stare at your phone and watch a YouTube highlight of people throwing things

I must spread the love, apparently, but I would like to add:

70's: throw underwear on the court

devildeac
12-04-2018, 10:34 PM
I must spread the love, apparently, but I would like to add:

70's: throw underwear on the court

70s: throw aspirin on the court

80s: throw album covers on the court

(I'm reporting/reminiscing, not condoning.)

Minor correction (maybe?): were the pizza boxes in the 90s or the 80s for Lorenzo Charles (RIP)?

Kedsy
12-04-2018, 11:46 PM

For accuracy's sake, this first happened in the late 70s (perhaps earlier; I witnessed it in 1978).

Minor correction (maybe?): were the pizza boxes in the 90s or the 80s for Lorenzo Charles (RIP)?

Lorenzo Charles played in the 80s (played on State's last championship team in 1983; exhausted his eligibility in 1985).

Rich
12-04-2018, 11:58 PM
I guess what I'm saying is that it is almost not within the realm of possibility that every single group of students is worse than the ones before, through time immemorial. That would make the bar WAY too high for the crazies of 30 years ago, and impossibly low for the crazies of 30 years from now.

As a Crazie 30 years ago, and as unbelievable as it might sound, this is, in fact, true. :cool:

OldPhiKap
12-05-2018, 07:43 AM
As a Crazie 30 years ago, and as unbelievable as it might sound, this is, in fact, true. :cool:

Having probably stood close to Rich at some of those games, I’ll concur.

accfanfrom1970
12-05-2018, 08:03 AM
70s: throw aspirin on the court.

My first game in Cameron! vs. Maryland and Lefty!

UrinalCake
12-05-2018, 08:34 AM
70’s: throw aspirin on the court
2018: take aspirin after the physical strain of attending the game.

At least that’s how my viewing habits have changed!

devildeac
12-05-2018, 09:12 AM
My first game in Cameron! vs. Maryland and Lefty!

I thought that was Mo Rivers from NCSU who had been charged with shoplifting a bottle of aspirin when he changed the price tag. I'm almost certain the men's briefs that were tossed were to "celebrate" the arrest of Tine Pender (sp?) and another "fine" NCSU felon whose name eludes me that changed the price/s on some underwear.

MChambers
12-05-2018, 09:27 AM
I thought that was Mo Rivers from NCSU who had been charged with shoplifting a bottle of aspirin when he changed the price tag. I'm almost certain the men's briefs that were tossed were to "celebrate" the arrest of Tine Pender (sp?) and another "fine" NCSU felon whose name eludes me that changed the price/s on some underwear.

Think it was Tiny Pinder and Tony Warren.

devildeac
12-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Think it was Tiny Pinder and Tony Warren.

Upon further review, the call from MChambers is correct. ;)

ChillinDuke
12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Re: Crazies

I agree sometimes the crowd is less than stellar. But I take comfort in the fact that when it is a premier game, especially in the conference season, Cameron is absolutely and unquestionably rocking. The UNC games never disappoint in this regard, and certain other ones usually deliver as well.

Those games, when the announcers are almost drowned out by the incessant and erupting noise, are truly special.

- Chillin

Rich
12-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Re: Crazies

I agree sometimes the crowd is less than stellar. But I take comfort in the fact that when it is a premier game, especially in the conference season, Cameron is absolutely and unquestionably rocking. The UNC games never disappoint in this regard, and certain other ones usually deliver as well.

Those games, when the announcers are almost drowned out by the incessant and erupting noise, are truly special.

- Chillin

I agree with this and at the expense of sounding like a hypocrite, let's all remember that the cupcake games weren't on TV for the world to see lame Cameron in the 1980's. I'm sure lame Cameron existed even if I choose not to remember, but in those days ONLY the good games were on TV so the perception to the TV world was that Cameron rocked for every game which, realistically, couldn't have been the case.

As to OPK and where I stood - every game I stood on the side of the court no longer accessible to students, behind the scorer's table, center court. We never had to be first in line because everyone ran to the other (TV) side. We sauntered over to our House CC section of Cameron adjacent to BOG every single game. It was sheer bliss!

accfanfrom1970
12-05-2018, 01:46 PM

The Maryland game I went to, Lefty had commented that coaching in Cameron gave him a headache, besides the skull caps with thermometers in the red being worn, several folks tossed aspirin. Maybe not as much as the Rivers game?

devildeac
12-05-2018, 02:02 PM
The Maryland game I went to, Lefty had commented that coaching in Cameron gave him a headache, besides the skull caps with thermometers in the red being worn, several folks tossed aspirin. Maybe not as much as the Rivers game?

That makes complete sense now. I knew about the empty indicator on the skull caps but did not know about the headache and aspirin event.