PDA

View Full Version : Blue-White and Duke football played at the same time

6th Man
10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Interesting article....

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/29/we-get-it-coach-k-you-dont-care-about-the-duke-football-team/

Bluedawg
10-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Interesting article....

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/29/we-get-it-coach-k-you-dont-care-about-the-duke-football-team/

All this is is an opinion, and one that i know is incorrect.

One major point he failed to add, the game was on TV, but on ESPNU which very few people can get and is not carried by Duke cable. It was on radio which fans could listen to while watching the blue white game.

Highlander
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM
All this is is an opinion, and one that i know is incorrect.

One major point he failed to add, the game was on TV, but on ESPNU which very few people can get and is not carried by Duke cable. It was on radio which fans could listen to while watching the blue white game.

Also, the B/W game was NOT on TV, and not on the radio, so the only people who should be annoyed are the 9,314 who had tickets to the scrimmage.

And from the report, half of the upper deck skipped out on the scrimmage.

Wander
10-31-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't see where he claimed the basketball scrimmage was on TV or where the football game was on a channel other than ESPNU.

He's dead on. There's no reason whatsoever to have the two games at the same time.

jlear
10-31-2007, 10:59 AM
I was at the B/W and listened on the radio to FB before getting to the house for ESPNU.

I thought it was wrong to have them at the same time but I am sure someone has a good reason.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-31-2007, 11:26 AM
I was at the B/W and listened on the radio to FB before getting to the house for ESPNU.

I thought it was wrong to have them at the same time but I am sure someone has a good reason.

I did the same and wish they weren't overlapping. I did have the game on DVR and watched parts of it before erasing.

allenmurray
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm a five year season ticket holder to Duke Football. I enjoy it. But it can't be Coach K's job to resurrect the football program. Was it unfortunate that they were at the same time? Yes. But more people show up at Wal-Mart on the day after Christmas to by 75% off wrapping paper than show up for Duke football games. Until the decision to have them at the same time actually impacts more than a few dozen people it is a non-story.

bigj4194
10-31-2007, 12:18 PM
The other thing to keep in mind was that the time of the football game was released to be 8PM only 2 weeks before the game...well after the season schedule for basketball had been released with times set.

VaDukie
10-31-2007, 12:25 PM
This article is part of the blatant K bashing that has become the media standard. If I hadn't seen so much of it I'd get angrier.

Wander
10-31-2007, 12:57 PM
This article is part of the blatant K bashing that has become the media standard. If I hadn't seen so much of it I'd get angrier.

My god, calm down. The guy who wrote this is a Duke student, and one who's a big basketball and Coach K fan.

Bluedawg
10-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Also, the B/W game was NOT on TV, and not on the radio, so the only people who should be annoyed are the 9,314 who had tickets to the scrimmage.

And from the report, half of the upper deck skipped out on the scrimmage.

but were 9,314 people there?

Bluedawg
10-31-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm a five year season ticket holder to Duke Football. I enjoy it. But it can't be Coach K's job to resurrect the football program. Was it unfortunate that they were at the same time? Yes. But more people show up at Wal-Mart on the day after Christmas to by 75% off wrapping paper than show up for Duke football games. Until the decision to have them at the same time actually impacts more than a few dozen people it is a non-story.

It's a non-story anyway. Coach K is not putting down the football program. it's just another weak attempt to slap at Duke

Cameron
10-31-2007, 01:27 PM
This is Duke, folks. When has football ever held precedence? Try 50 seasons ago.

I agree with some of the above, this is a non-story story, and one that is annoying. North Carolina is and always will be a basketball first state. Deal with it.

Wander
10-31-2007, 02:14 PM
It's a non-story anyway. Coach K is not putting down the football program. it's just another weak attempt to slap at Duke

Again, it was written by a Duke student.

I think he should have focused more on the athletics department for the overlapping times and not K, but the guy's viewpoint is completely reasonable. It's not a "weak attempt to slap at Duke."

throatybeard
10-31-2007, 02:38 PM
This is Duke, folks. When has football ever held precedence? Try 50 seasons ago.

I agree with some of the above, this is a non-story story, and one that is annoying. North Carolina is and always will be a basketball first state. Deal with it.

It's not a good idea to undercut one of your two revenue sports.

jafarr1
10-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Again, it was written by a Duke student.

I don't know where you get this, but he has admitted that (a) he's a Carolina fan, and (b) he's never been to Cameron but has always wanted to go. That seems to rule out Nathan being a Duke student.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/ncaabasketball/duke-basketball/

(Search for "As a Carolina fan" on the page, and you'll go to a piece he wrote on Cameron. As near as I can tell, it's the only positive piece on Duke he's ever written.)

That said, there is zero reason why the football game and the basketball scrimmage couldn't have been at different times. I do not feel it is Coach K's responsibility to check for scheduling conflicts; that job should fall to the AD. This AD continues to find new and creative ways to hammer home the point that Duke simply does not care about its football program.

gvtucker
10-31-2007, 02:46 PM
To be fair:

As noted before, the time of the football game wasn't set until two weeks ahead of time, it would have been a bit difficult to coordinate the logistics, particularly when you consider the extensive festivities that went on before the game.

Second, the scrimmage was cut back to 15 minute halves. Additionally, they cut back time outs to 2, just to make sure things moved along a bit more briskly.

Hey, it irritated me also. But once I settled down and had a conversation with a couple of people at the athletic department, it didn't seem quite as bad. I still think it wouldn't have been too difficult to move the start to 6 PM, though.