PDA

View Full Version : Duke Managers' Intensity Mocked

Billy Dat
11-29-2018, 02:23 PM
As one who truly believes we must laugh at ourselves when the situation warrants, I have always cracked up at the Duke Bball Managers' over-the-top intensity as exemplified by their "Oh no, here comes Godzilla!!!!" all out sprint to the locker room as the halftime buzzer sounds.

One of my favorite podcasts, CBS Eye on College Basketball, took a few minutes out to discuss this phenomenon on yesterday's pod. Very funny.

Relevant portion starts at 13:30.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-podcast-louisville-duke-grab-nice-wins-in-acc-big-ten-challenge/

If there are any managers on here who can explain the rabid intensity, please share your stories. I have always assumed it was just a sign that "we do everything harder and better than anyone else", just like the rest of the program. Like Parrish and Norlander, I happen to think it's ridiculous but maybe that's why I am a message board denizen and they pre-captains of industry.

budwom
11-29-2018, 02:34 PM
^ I admire their enthusiasm, but it's clearly over the top, and they're apt to hurt themselves or someone else.

weezie
11-29-2018, 02:57 PM
Oh YEAH???!!!

Well, just wait till our managers get their BMX bike act fired up and then sit back and watch.

I'd back our managers in a dance off, too. I'll bet they could teach Kevin Bacon a few moves!

Reilly
11-29-2018, 03:08 PM
... all out sprint to the locker room as the halftime buzzer sounds ...

At halftime of the Duke/WFU football game Saturday, I was taking shelter from the elements (and the scoreboard) under the Tower. A couple of big guys came running/sprinting through the crowd in a line and sort of screaming "coming through coming through" and I at first thought it was EMS personnel either going to someone's aid or rushing someone out of the stadium. Turns out it was the WFU assistants who sit in the box, going back for the start of the second half. Jagoffs.

Billy Dat
11-29-2018, 03:16 PM
Oh YEAH???!!!
Well, just wait till our managers get their BMX bike act fired up and then sit back and watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfW9cFeCaa0

flyingdutchdevil
11-29-2018, 03:33 PM
Oh YEAH???!!!

I'd back our managers in a dance off, too. I'll bet they could teach Kevin Bacon a few moves!

Well, they have to be better than our current players, because their dances during Countdown to Craziness was, ummmm, not good.

nmduke2001
11-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Every game in which this is shown, my wife and I laugh. What's the rush? We were sitting directly behind them for the San Diego State game. They were super intense.

gep
11-29-2018, 04:41 PM
I have always noticed this and always wondered what the rush was all about too. Looks like the start of the 100 meter dash... as soon as the buzzer sounds, off they go in full sprint. Maybe they gotta get to the locker room and straighten up the room for the team?

NSDukeFan
11-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Maybe they should take John Wooden’s advice and “be quick but don’t hurry “

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2018, 05:01 PM
At halftime of the Duke/WFU football game Saturday, I was taking shelter from the elements (and the scoreboard) under the Tower. A couple of big guys came running/sprinting through the crowd in a line and sort of screaming "coming through coming through" and I at first thought it was EMS personnel either going to someone's aid or rushing someone out of the stadium. Turns out it was the WFU assistants who sit in the box, going back for the start of the second half. Jagoffs.

Whew, good thing those WFU assistants got there in time...to stop the Duke rally.

jv001
11-29-2018, 05:05 PM
I have always noticed this and always wondered what the rush was all about too. Looks like the start of the 100 meter dash... as soon as the buzzer sounds, off they go in full sprint. Maybe they gotta get to the locker room and straighten up the room for the team?

I wonder if these managers can run a pass route and not drop a pass? If so, suit them up for the bowl game. :cool:GoDuke!

-jk
11-29-2018, 06:36 PM
C'mon - halftime is short. Make the most of it (or else!)...

-jk

jimsumner
11-29-2018, 09:01 PM
It's even more impressive/bizarre when you're at floor level and they're blowing by you at warp speed, looking for all the world like they're being chased by Daenerys's dragons. I'm not saying it's fear on their faces but it certainly is a concentrated sense of purpose. No messing around allowed.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-29-2018, 09:19 PM
But would Battier take a charge from one of them?

OldPhiKap
11-29-2018, 10:07 PM
They probably want to avoid getting squashed or eaten by Zion.

UrinalCake
11-29-2018, 10:53 PM
Definitely an entertaining podcast segment. I'm surprised they didn't bring up the holding up of towels like curtains whenever a player gets injured. That's another responsibility that is unique to Duke managers.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-30-2018, 07:53 AM
I suspect it’s added training for the annual managers game against the cheats.

devilsadvocate85
11-30-2018, 08:46 AM
I think the configuration and location of the Duke locker room has a lot to do with this. There are multiple doors and potentially an elevator involved, all with security to enter. I’m guessing they are racing to have all of those prepared so there is no delay for the players and coaches.

budwom
11-30-2018, 09:11 AM
It's even more impressive/bizarre when you're at floor level and they're blowing by you at warp speed, looking for all the world like they're being chased by Daenerys's dragons. I'm not saying it's fear on their faces but it certainly is a concentrated sense of purpose. No messing around allowed.

One of these days they'll crash into a VIP and they'll be asked to slow down. The only people in Cameron who should be moving that fast are players on the court, and unc fans heading for the exits. Everyone else should dial it back, it's not a large space made for sprinting.

WillJ
11-30-2018, 09:58 AM
The Duke managers' sprint is almost infinitely mockable. Do other teams' managers ever do this?

uh_no
11-30-2018, 10:50 AM
One of these days they'll crash into a VIP and they'll be asked to slow down. The only people in Cameron who should be moving that fast are players on the court, and unc fans heading for the exits. Everyone else should dial it back, it's not a large space made for sprinting.

security/ushers form a wall to prevent anyone from entering the pathway until the team has exited. If a VIP forces their way past and gets hit, that's on them. Further, it's far less dangerous than the players sprinting down the court and sometimes ending up in the seats who weigh 50-100 lbs more. Having been on the receiving end of Scheyer and Kennard, I would rather be run over by a manager.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2018, 10:56 AM
security/ushers form a wall to prevent anyone from entering the pathway until the team has exited. If a VIP forces their way past and gets hit, that's on them. Further, it's far less dangerous than the players sprinting down the court and sometimes ending up in the seats who weigh 50-100 lbs more. Having been on the receiving end of Scheyer and Kennard, I would rather be run over by a manager.

"plant your feet, take the charge . . . ."

camion
11-30-2018, 10:57 AM

Unless it's Zion :eek: .

devildeac
11-30-2018, 11:03 AM

Yep, if OPK does that, it'll be FlatPhiKap. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
11-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Yep, if OPK does that, it'll be FlatPhiKap. :rolleyes:

. . . just like Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House . . . .

budwom
11-30-2018, 11:15 AM

That's fine, but it's still stupid and unnecessary...they could move expeditiously without being reckless.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-30-2018, 01:08 PM
That's fine, but it's still stupid and unnecessary...they could move expeditiously without being reckless.
Maybe last one there has to do some awful chore...

HereBeforeCoachK
11-30-2018, 01:40 PM

Reckless, perhaps, but it seems like "trying to hard" too make some kind of virtuous point about intensity ALL THE TIME or what have you. Barney Fife like. To me it seems kind of silly, and not really in the atmosphere of the program, which is far from silly.

Indoor66
11-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Is there anything we cannot criticize and become indignant about?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Is there anything we cannot criticize and become indignant about?

You mean, like, other peoples' posts????

budwom
11-30-2018, 02:27 PM
You mean, like, other peoples' posts????

Yup, Billy Dat's original post was right on the money. It was an observation, and a funny one at that. Not "indignant" in the least. Over the top behavior is a perfectly nice discussion item.

devilseven
11-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Maybe we need to find out why they are doing this.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Is there any video of said sprint? When I am in Cameron, I sit across the Duke bench, but have realized that I've not made any notice of this burst of enthusiasm.

DukieInKansas
11-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Is there any video of said sprint? When I am in Cameron, I sit across the Duke bench, but have realized that I've not made any notice of this burst of enthusiasm.

I do see it on tv. I want to know if there is any video or even anectotal stories about the managers colliding with someone during their mad dash? I just figured it was their way of expending some energy and a need to get to the locker room quickly instead of sending someone down early where they have to miss part of the game.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-30-2018, 03:48 PM
It would be kind of funny if one of them slipped on a wet spot on the floor during their sprint.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2018, 05:11 PM
You think they are intense? You should see the furrow of my brow every time I post.

Reilly
11-30-2018, 11:01 PM
You think they are intense? You should see the furrow of my brow every time I post.

You could probably just get some worry lines tattooed on your forehead and save the muscle strain.

devildeac
11-30-2018, 11:07 PM
You could probably just get some worry lines tattooed on your forehead and save the muscle strain.

Bad idea for OPK with a bowl in Shreveport or Dallas pending. :rolleyes:

juise
12-01-2018, 01:15 AM
I suspect it’s added training for the annual managers game against the cheats.

My understanding is that the manager game against UNCheat was discontinued after the scuffle in 2014. I can’t find any clear evidence of this, but it’s my recollection.

budwom
12-01-2018, 08:48 AM
what's kind of funny is that Duke (like many other institutions with lots of money and assets) is quite risk averse. Liability concern was one of the major reasons they instituted the security screening at WW (I know, a lot of places do that now).
The point being that if someone were to get hurt during the Godzilla stampede, Duke could have some serious liability. Any capable personal injury attorney could easily point out that the stampede is neither prudent nor necessary in the least.
And I happen to know a crackjack personal injury attorney who sits courtside! (as for the Maginot Line of Duke Security protecting people, I'm not that impressed).
Again, it's more goofy funny weird than anything else. Do the managers at any other school do this?

uh_no
12-01-2018, 09:18 AM
(as for the Maginot Line of Duke Security protecting people, I'm not that impressed).

they're not for protecting people. they're for preventing you from doing things you shouldn't.

budwom
12-01-2018, 09:38 AM
they're not for protecting people. they're for preventing you from doing things you shouldn't.

people gave up on preventing me from doing things I shouldn't do about fifty years ago, but I get your point. I just think there's an incident waiting to happen, that's all.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Eating more carbs?

Reilly
12-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Eating more carbs?

Punning with impunity?

devilsadvocate85
12-01-2018, 10:35 AM
I think the configuration and location of the Duke locker room has a lot to do with this. There are multiple doors and potentially an elevator involved, all with security to enter. I’m guessing they are racing to have all of those prepared so there is no delay for the players and coaches.

Just wondering if no one saw this, no one believed it or maybe I’m posting in an alternate universe.

Reilly
12-01-2018, 10:38 AM
No one believes it. They're running to annoy us. It's obvious.

Stray Gator
12-01-2018, 11:25 AM

I don't profess to know the answer, but given the military-grade organization of the Duke basketball program, it seems more likely to me that K would simply arrange for one or more staff members or security personnel to station themselves at the locker room door and perform this function, rather than rely on the team managers to race across the floor at the halftime buzzer to open the doors.

uh_no
12-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Eating more carbs?

we both know you ought be drinking them...

BLPOG
12-01-2018, 03:07 PM
IANAD, but I feel qualified to make a clinical diagnosis of the vapors for approximately 80% of the people posting in this thread.

Recommended course of action is to take beer. Dosage to be determined by the patient.

budwom
12-01-2018, 11:05 PM
IANAD, but I feel qualified to make a clinical diagnosis of the vapors for approximately 80% of the people posting in this thread.

Recommended course of action is to take beer. Dosage to be determined by the patient.

the vapors, or vaping?

cato
12-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Eating more carbs?

It’s the carbs I drink that are my main problem. YMMV.

richardjackson199
12-02-2018, 01:10 PM
I was at Stetson game last night and left right before halftime to get my wife a sprite. I walked down the long blue hall from grad student side toward concession stand, just as I was directed to do. If I had been about 2 steps ahead of where I was, I would have been very seriously injured. These managers sprinting through doors are not looking where they are going and they are really going to hurt somebody. This needs to stop and this needs to get fixed. There was a security guard at that door and he also didn't seem to know they were coming that fast. They came charging through like they were running from a lion. The security guard would have not been able to help me had I been about 2 steps ahead, and he did not tell me to wait or stop. Close call - I got lucky. I'm going to call the Men's basketball office to complain about it. I love Duke basketball, but this situation IS going to hurt somebody if not fixed. There was zero warning. Nobody yelled coming through. Ridiculous and very dangerous.

richardjackson199
12-02-2018, 01:17 PM

No they don't. Not at all. Not last night. 1 security guard at that door looked just as stunned as I did. He did nothing to warn me or tell me to wait, and I was 2 steps from getting hurt badly. They were sprinting full speed.

UrinalCake
12-02-2018, 01:25 PM
The end of the first half was a bit unusual, on the final possession they didn’t start the clock after the inbounds and so the half should have been over but play continued. It resulted in all the players standing on the court for a few seconds while the refs sorted it out. Anyways, the effect on the managers was that the court was full of extra people when they started their bull rush toward the exit.

It does feel like they will inevitably knock someone over, but I doubt things will change.

BandAlum83
12-02-2018, 01:52 PM
I was at Stetson game last night and left right before halftime to get my wife a sprite. I walked down the long blue hall from grad student side toward concession stand, just as I was directed to do. If I had been about 2 steps ahead of where I was, I would have been very seriously injured. These managers sprinting through doors are not looking where they are going and they are really going to hurt somebody. This needs to stop and this needs to get fixed. There was a security guard at that door and he also didn't seem to know they were coming that fast. They came charging through like they were running from a lion. The security guard would have not been able to help me had I been about 2 steps ahead, and he did not tell me to wait or stop. Close call - I got lucky. I'm going to call the Men's basketball office to complain about it. I love Duke basketball, but this situation IS going to hurt somebody if not fixed. There was zero warning. Nobody yelled coming through. Ridiculous and very dangerous.

If you do contact the office, please start a thread with their response so we don't miss it!

CrazyNotCrazie
12-02-2018, 02:21 PM
I don't profess to know the answer, but given the military-grade organization of the Duke basketball program, it seems more likely to me that K would simply arrange for one or more staff members or security personnel to station themselves at the locker room door and perform this function, rather than rely on the team managers to race across the floor at the halftime buzzer to open the doors.

This makes a lot more sense. Or they could have one or two managers leave at the last tv timeout to get there early to do whatever top secret, mission critical job they are tasked with.

I have noticed this many times and have always been perplexed by it. At the same time, I can’t believe I am wasting brain cells thinking about it.

budwom
12-02-2018, 03:13 PM
No they don't. Not at all. Not last night. 1 security guard at that door looked just as stunned as I did. He did nothing to warn me or tell me to wait, and I was 2 steps from getting hurt badly. They were sprinting full speed.

So much for the Maginot Line of Duke Security. Illusory.

weezie
12-02-2018, 03:44 PM
...I doubt things will change.

Maybe Duke will start shutting down the corridor under the stands that leads to locker room. Remain in your seats! Avert your eyes!

richardjackson199
12-02-2018, 08:35 PM
If you do contact the office, please start a thread with their response so we don't miss it!

I'll post what they tell me. I'm not going to be angry or rude. They just need to know.

I'm no VIP, not even close, but I'm sure if anybody had been there to see that they would understand. In that hallway I couldn't see them coming. There was also no way for them to see me. Just a security guard standing by the door who also clearly didn't see them coming. Then those managers came bolting through the doorway perpendicular to me so fast and reckless that a collision would have been very bad. It's tough to explain, but I'm a decently sized dude. For a child or someone who is frail it would have been even worse. I'm sure if Coach K had seen that with his hip replacements and knee replacements he would stop this immediately. I don't really blame the security guard either. But with that many people in Cameron, it's going to be expected that near halftime some of us will go for the concessions, and that is where ushers directed me (as it did lead to the concessions). The managers need to slow down, a lot.

UrinalCake
12-02-2018, 08:58 PM
We need to get Shane Battier to stand in that hallway just before halftime. When the managers come rushing in, he can draw a charge.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-02-2018, 09:31 PM
We need to get Shane Battier to stand in that hallway just before halftime. When the managers come rushing in, he can draw a charge.

Maybe Hans-flop needs a job.....

CrazyNotCrazie
12-02-2018, 09:32 PM

See my joke in post #14 above - great minds...

NSDukeFan
12-03-2018, 12:15 PM
I'll post what they tell me. I'm not going to be angry or rude. They just need to know.

I'm no VIP, not even close, .

FYI, you do have a lot of sporks, so that makes you at least pretty important. 😀

Lar77
12-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Haven't you seen the line at the restrooms at halftime:D

camion
12-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Haven't you seen the line at the restrooms at halftime:D

One of the down sides of maintaining hydration, you know 8 (or is it 12) glasses of water per day. That water has to go somewhere sometime. :eek:

JonnyWonder
12-03-2018, 02:14 PM
This thread cracked me up...made me think of a true story from my Duke days:

This must've been 2002. A few of my friends and I, who were objectively terrible at basketball, were shooting around at Wilson when we got nonchalantly asked by a group of guys if we wanted to play a casual game of pickup. It was obvious we were not very good and we said as much, but why not? So the game starts, and all of a sudden these guys get super intense. They are calling out set plays, literally slapping the floor, picking us up full court, pretty ridiculous stuff for a pickup game against obviously inferior talent. We managed a couple buckets and each time they got pissed at each other about it. They must've won like, 11-2.

Turns out they were the Duke bball managers. It always cracked me up that these guys took dominating a bunch of scrubs in Wilson so seriously.

budwom
12-03-2018, 05:07 PM

This must've been 2002. A few of my friends and I, who were objectively terrible at basketball, were shooting around at Wilson when we got nonchalantly asked by a group of guys if we wanted to play a casual game of pickup. It was obvious we were not very good and we said as much, but why not? So the game starts, and all of a sudden these guys get super intense. They are calling out set plays, literally slapping the floor, picking us up full court, pretty ridiculous stuff for a pickup game against obviously inferior talent. We managed a couple buckets and each time they got pissed at each other about it. They must've won like, 11-2.

Turns out they were the Duke bball managers. It always cracked me up that these guys took dominating a bunch of scrubs in Wilson so seriously.

When they left Wilson, how fast did they run?

flyingdutchdevil
12-03-2018, 05:37 PM

This made me laugh.

Pghdukie
12-03-2018, 05:38 PM

They run much faster when it's their turn to buy at the local watering hole !

OldPhiKap
12-03-2018, 05:39 PM

Did you have to play them again in Card as an away game? And if so, did they chant "our house" after the game?

uh_no
12-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Did you have to play them again in Card as an away game? And if so, did they chant "our house" after the game?

Yeah. the managers were up big, and then proceeded to chant "overrated" as the scrubs were shooting FTs.

richardjackson199
12-03-2018, 08:00 PM
FYI, you do have a lot of sporks, so that makes you at least pretty important. ��

You make a very strong point. There is no greater honor for a Duke supporter than sporks. :cool:

We did call the Men's Basketball Office. They were very nice and showed plenty of concern, getting full details. They assured me that the issue would be dealt with on multiple levels.

If it's not dealt with appropriately, I'll make sure to call them back, give them my spork count, and remind them that I'm a DBR Hall of Famer. :)

Green Wave Dukie
12-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Yeah. the managers were up big, and then proceeded to chant "overrated" as the scrubs were shooting FTs.

Imagine what the managers did when the scrubs shot an air ball.

JetpackJesus
12-04-2018, 12:06 AM
So much for the Maginot Line of Duke Security. Illusory.

They were facing the wrong way and never saw the managers (or richardjackson) coming.

JetpackJesus
12-04-2018, 12:14 AM
The managers were amusing during the Auburn game. The tournament had 3 or 4 kids handling the floor drying duties at each end. The Duke manager would be out there with a towel drying any wet areas before the kids could even stand up and leave the baseline. Once was near half court, and it made sense because the Duke bench was actually closer than the kids. But the rest of the time it was pretty hilarious to see.

gep
12-04-2018, 01:10 AM
I have noticed this intensity in running off the court for awhile. I am very interested in the reason for this... hopefully we get some info.

Billy Dat
12-04-2018, 06:44 AM
I once saw a Duke Bball manager kill a yak from 200 yards away using mind bullets! That’s telekinesis, Kyle!

budwom
12-04-2018, 08:35 AM
You make a very strong point. There is no greater honor for a Duke supporter than sporks. :cool:

We did call the Men's Basketball Office. They were very nice and showed plenty of concern, getting full details. They assured me that the issue would be dealt with on multiple levels.

If it's not dealt with appropriately, I'll make sure to call them back, give them my spork count, and remind them that I'm a DBR Hall of Famer. :)

Good for you (seriously). I believe there is a sane way for the lads to show their enthusiasm and dedication (which is obviously copious) without endangering people. Look forward to watching tomorrow night to see what happens.

Tripping William
12-04-2018, 08:40 AM

You do know the next spork-promotion after "Hall of Famer," right? There's a reason for that . . . . . . :o

budwom
12-04-2018, 08:43 AM
of course the worst case scenario could be the managers end the half tomorrow by sprinting directly at RichardJackson, towels aflutter, some folks don't adore criticism. Eight simultaneous Rat Tails would have to hurt.

uh_no
12-04-2018, 09:25 AM
Look forward to watching tomorrow night to see what happens.
do we have an over under on the corner-to-corner time?

budwom
12-04-2018, 10:42 AM
do we have an over under on the corner-to-corner time?

I just had a long walk and was thinking about this...not sure, but i'm expecting an expeditious jog...previously we had what was basically a 40 yard dash, more or less, so maybe 5.5 seconds for that...now I'm
thinking just under 10 seconds.

BandAlum83
12-04-2018, 10:50 AM
You do know the next spork-promotion after "Hall of Famer," right? There's a reason for that . . . . . . :o

I'm afraid my days of running really fast and behind me :(

MCFinARL
12-04-2018, 11:00 AM
I once saw a Duke Bball manager kill a yak from 200 yards away using mind bullets! That’s telekinesis, Kyle!

Of course, Patrick Davidson had just killed two yaks from 500 yards.

JasonEvans
12-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Here is a video from the 2016 Syracuse game of the managers stampeding off the floor at halftime.
https://twitter.com/jkess2423/status/689248898947387392/video/1

Here's another, not from halftime, from the end of a recent Miami game
https://twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/823007781653544960?lang=en

One more, though they seem to be not quite sprinting as much in this video
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--fW5C3s6u--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/niu1nate97pzuby77wgm.mp4

CrazyNotCrazie
12-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Here is a video from the 2016 Syracuse game of the managers stampeding off the floor at halftime.
https://twitter.com/jkess2423/status/689248898947387392/video/1

Here's another, not from halftime, from the end of a recent Miami game
https://twitter.com/clubtrillion/status/823007781653544960?lang=en

One more, though they seem to be not quite sprinting as much in this video
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--fW5C3s6u--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/niu1nate97pzuby77wgm.mp4

Watching those clips made me start humming the William Tell Overture...

Indoor66
12-04-2018, 01:54 PM

...And yell Hi Ho Silver...

Or is that Hi Yo Silver?

OldPhiKap
12-04-2018, 03:14 PM
...And yell Hi Ho Silver...

Or is that Hi Yo Silver?

Just don't say "Hi Nate Silver" or you will draw stat wrath.

DukieInKansas
12-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Rather than the over/under on their time, I going with a pre-game or final time out before the half announcement: "Ladies and gentlemen, when the half ends, please remain in your seats for the ritual manager's run to the locker room."

Reddevil
12-04-2018, 03:30 PM

I was thinking Benny Hill.

Couldn't they just have one of those guys in the locker room watching it on TV and doing whatever needs to be done ahead of the players arrival?

What are their responsibilities anyway? We need to know.

gep
12-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Rather than the over/under on their time, I going with a pre-game or final time out before the half announcement: "Ladies and gentlemen, when the half ends, please remain in your seats for the ritual manager's run to the locker room."

Funny... with this phrase, I pictured “the running of the bulls”...:cool:

Ggallagher
12-05-2018, 11:56 AM
You know for whatever the reason is the managers feel compelled to race across the court...

To my knowledge, none of our opponents' managers have ever felt this was a good idea, nor have I seen it done in any other gym where I've watched a game.

It's just silly and goofy looking.

duke4ever19
12-05-2018, 05:54 PM
You know for whatever the reason is the managers feel compelled to race across the court...

To my knowledge, none of our opponents' managers have ever felt this was a good idea, nor have I seen it done in any other gym where I've watched a game.

It's just silly and goofy looking.

IMO we are witnessing the birth of another Duke tradition. Yes, it looks silly, but soon people will be mentioning those crazy intense Duke managers as a thing to check off their list for a Duke game. Next thing you know, people will debate if one team of managers is living up to the tradition. Wait and see. It’s going to happen.

devilsadvocate85
12-05-2018, 07:54 PM
They sprinted. Anyone still think the resolution will be them not sprinting? I will reiterate my answer from earlier in the thread. There are multiple points of access to the locker room. You can’t get through unless you are authorized. I am sure the managers are getting those access points open in advance. Game security personnel can’t get through them. I’m also guessing that the resolution will be securing their path so that no one can get in the way.

cato
12-06-2018, 02:27 AM
I think first guy to the locker room gets pie.

budwom
12-06-2018, 08:06 AM
The issue will be resolved when someone is seriously injured, at which time the athletic department will say that no one could have foreseen this unfortunate event.

BandAlum83
12-06-2018, 10:02 AM
I think first guy to the locker room gets pie.

Last one in buys the pie?

JasonEvans
12-06-2018, 10:23 AM
K clearly told them that the guy who comes in second gets a set of steak knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbp3ozjl-qM

devilsadvocate85
12-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Managers slowed tonight by a dropped cell phone, but still looked like a sprint to me.

duke4ever19
12-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Managers slowed tonight by a dropped cell phone, but still looked like a sprint to me.

Tomorrow's manager practice is gonna be rough . . . diving on the floor for loose cell phones.

If you don't leave practice with at least one black eye, you didn't try hard enough.

Green Wave Dukie
12-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Tomorrow's manager practice is gonna be rough . . . diving on the floor for loose cell phones.

If you don't leave practice with at least one black eye, you didn't try hard enough.

Gives new meaning to taking a charge.

Steven43
12-08-2018, 08:33 PM
K clearly told them that the guy who comes in second gets a set of steak knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbp3ozjl-qM

“Third Place is you’re fired!” Glengarry Glen Ross — what a great movie. Brilliant acting all around,

I forgot to watch for the Duke managers at the end of the first half, but I did pay attention at the end of the game, and yes, they sprinted. I love it. It’s yet another fun thing about Duke Basketball. Let’s hope they keep it going indefinitely.

Kedsy
12-08-2018, 10:22 PM
I have never mentioned this issue to my wife, but at halftime today she said, "Look at those guys running to the locker room. What's that about?"

Steven43
12-09-2018, 09:02 PM
I have never mentioned this issue to my wife, but at halftime today she said, "Look at those guys running to the locker room. What's that about?"
Haha. Yeah, it is definitely a bizarre and amusing spectacle. Keep it up, boys.

richardjackson199
01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
I admit I wasn't thinking about it at the time, so I'm not sure. But I don't think the managers did the sprint to halftime ritual last night. I didn't see them sprinting at the game.

I watched the TV replay, and they show a good view of the court with nobody sprinting across it. Then you see our players lightly jogging into the exit.

There is a take-home point here: do not ever underestimate the power of DBR sporks (and of budwom who likely talked to the right person).

rocketeli
01-06-2019, 08:27 PM
I admit I wasn't thinking about it at the time, so I'm not sure. But I don't think the managers did the sprint to halftime ritual last night. I didn't see them sprinting at the game.

I watched the TV replay, and they show a good view of the court with nobody sprinting across it. Then you see our players lightly jogging into the exit.

There is a take-home point here: do not ever underestimate the power of DBR sporks (and of budwom who likely talked to the right person).

Yeah, I noticed that too and thought of the DBR thread. But TV only shows you what it wants you to see. Can anyone who was at the game speak to this vital point?

Billy Dat
01-06-2019, 08:35 PM
I really thought that crew would be immune to shaming or any kind of peer pressure. If they drop the “towel privacy screen” when a player is hurt near the bench, we’ll know they have rabbit ears.

uh_no
01-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too and thought of the DBR thread. But TV only shows you what it wants you to see. Can anyone who was at the game speak to this vital point?

I bail from my post right when halftime starts to avoid the onslaught of bathroom-goers. I may or may not sprint as fast as the managers....but I unfortunately forgot to watch. Remind me for next time!

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2019, 11:21 PM
I bail from my post right when halftime starts to avoid the onslaught of bathroom-goers. I may or may not sprint as fast as the managers...but I unfortunately forgot to watch. Remind me for next time!
Wait a minute...maybe that's why they sprint!!!

uh_no
01-06-2019, 11:49 PM
Wait a minute...maybe that's why they sprint!!!

Someone's gotta taste test the gatorade!

budwom
01-07-2019, 08:36 AM

I don't know if my message actually got thru or not (they say it did) but I would like to note that Duke played a marvelous second half, so obviously the managers' newfound trot had something to do with it. Team did not suffer from the managers arriving five seconds later than usual in the locker room.

uh_no
01-07-2019, 09:21 AM
I don't know if my message actually got thru or not (they say it did) but I would like to note that Duke played a marvelous second half, so obviously the managers' newfound trot had something to do with it. Team did not suffer from the managers arriving five seconds later than usual in the locker room.

I don't think we have confirmation of a lack of sprinting, just that the TV didn't show it....unless I'm misunderstanding.

DU82
01-07-2019, 09:53 PM
At the women's game yesterday, one of the managers at halftime ran from the bench to the portal next to the band, needing to "shove" her way through. Guess since the men's managers didn't run Saturday, it was up to the women the next day.

(This was odd, since the team uses the portal on the other side of the court, under section 1.)

fathippo
02-02-2019, 08:41 PM
I remembered to watch the managers at half (I even videotaped it, but it doesn't seem worth the effort to post). They ran off the court but definitely lacked the manic intensity that they are famous for. I am going to go ahead and credit/blame richardjackson199.

OldPhiKap
02-02-2019, 08:45 PM
I remembered to watch the managers at half (I even videotaped it, but it doesn't seem worth the effort to post). They ran off the court but definitely lacked the manic intensity that they are famous for. I am going to go ahead and credit/blame richardjackson199.

I’ll say “credit”

Steven43
02-02-2019, 08:56 PM
I’ll say “credit”

I’ll say “blame”. My friends and I really got a kick out of watching their manic sprinting. Can’t believe it’s over.

uh_no
02-02-2019, 11:03 PM

definitely running... maybe a bit subdued..

budwom
02-06-2019, 03:10 PM
definitely running... maybe a bit subdued..

yup, I got a view of it last night...they ran expeditiously but not chased by Godzilla insanely....seems like a reasonable outcome.

English
02-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Every time I see this thread bumped, I think to myself, "Welp, they finally did it. The Duke basketball managers have extinguished a flame, a candle in the wind. Life is truly fleeting. It was only a matter of time. Some poor crustie on the way to the john, and POW, lights out. RIP in peace."

richardjackson199
02-06-2019, 07:55 PM
yup, I got a view of it last night...they ran expeditiously but not chased by Godzilla insanely...seems like a reasonable outcome.

Agreed.

budwom
02-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Agreed.

Had they insisted on keeping up the maniac run, I had a great idea for them, a new Cameron tradition. If, for example, there are eight managers, have seven of them maniacally sprint off the court, while the eighth manager
runs behind them wielding an axe, a chainsaw, or perhaps wearing (why not) a godzilla costume. A new pursuing theme every game. For the unc game the pursuer could wield a textbook, might unnerve the opponents.

JasonEvans
02-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Had they insisted on keeping up the maniac run, I had a great idea for them, a new Cameron tradition. If, for example, there are eight managers, have seven of them maniacally sprint off the court, while the eighth manager
runs behind them wielding an axe, a chainsaw, or perhaps wearing (why not) a godzilla costume. A new pursuing theme every game. For the unc game the pursuer could wield a textbook, might unnerve the opponents.

Everyone else can stop now. Buddy has won the internet for the day.