PDA

View Full Version : Coach K's reaction to the "overrated" chant to Langford

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 12:30 PM
This is the first time I can remember that Coach K has given negative feedback to the Crazies (there are plenty of games where he's directly implored them to get loud, etc.) in a while... the closest thing I can remember was when he asked us (I say us because I was there at the time, see: https://www.uwire.com/2010/10/26/column-stay-classless-cameron-crazies/) to stop doing the "O" chant during the national anthem, but even that was in comments outside of the game.

On one hand, I can understand why he wouldn't want the fans targeting a single player like that, especially a freshman. On the other hand, this is something the Crazies have always done, and didn't seem all the offensive relatively speaking ("Sean May Eats Babies" anyone?). Can anyone who was in Cameron last night perhaps provide some context that might not have come through the TV screen? Was this addressed at all during the presser (if it has and has been talked about elsewhere, my apologies for not finding it)?

I personally loved that the Crazies were that involved in the game to do a personalized chant like that... because of MSU going to overtime (more reason to hate them!) I missed the first 10 minutes of the game where it seemed the Crazies did most of their work, but overall I thought that it was a great showing from the Crazies in the first legit home game of the year. I'd love to hear thoughts on that from those who were there as well!

OldPhiKap
11-28-2018, 12:32 PM
K has done this before, notably when the Crazies got on his friend Mike Jarvis about his likely firing from St. John a decade or so ago.

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 12:33 PM
K has done this before, notably when the Crazies got on his friend Mike Jarvis about his likely firing from St. John a decade or so ago.

Ahh, thanks! That was a bit before my time I believe. Did he do it in game like he did last night?

Native
11-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Yeah, K does this all the time. Nothing really to see here.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Ahh, thanks! That was a bit before my time I believe. Did he do it in game like he did last night?

Yes.

I am glad he did it last night. Thanks for bringing it up because the game got hazy for me after awhile.

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 12:37 PM

I would have to disagree with your assertion he does this "all the time"... like I said, during my four years as a Crazy I can't remember a single instance of him doing this in a game, although he did make some requests in general outside of the arena, as I mentioned. I very well could be suffering from some confirmation bias, however... so examples would be greatly appreciated?

Regardless of the frequency at which this happens, I'm still curious as to what the vibe/reaction was to it in the stadium.

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Yes.

I am glad he did it last night. Thanks for bringing it up because the game got hazy for me after awhile.

Thanks Phi! So between you and Native it sounds like I may in fact either A) be suffering from confirmation bias since this didn't happen during my years in Cameron, or B) have somehow forgotten these occurrences, which given the insane experience of being a Crazy is hopefully understandable! Still curious to hear others' examples of similar scenarios and their opinion of it last night.

Again, my apologies if for whatever reason I was off the mark in my assessment of this.

miramar
11-28-2018, 01:13 PM

Remember what happened when somebody was shining a red laser light while an opponent was shooting free throws? I can't remember how long ago that was, but Coach K was not happy. IIRC he went to the public address microphone and put a stop to it in a hurry.

Danke Shane
11-28-2018, 01:15 PM
I remember a similar reaction to "Chris Burgess got your dad fired". He immediately put the breaks on that one, I forget who's dad this was referring to though.

summerwind03
11-28-2018, 01:21 PM
When Dick Paparro was reffing, the students used to chant “You suck, Dick” though obviously, you couldn’t hear the comma. For some reason, one game Coach K charged over to the microphone and yelled out “Stop saying “You suck Dick”!”

I always thought his parents named him appropriately!

CDu
11-28-2018, 01:21 PM
I remember a similar reaction to "Chris Burgess got your dad fired". He immediately put the breaks on that one, I forget who's dad this was referring to though.

Yep, I was at that game. It was a fellow Mormon playing for Michigan (Robbie Reid). His dad (Roger Reid) was the coach at BYU, and his failure to land Burgess was considered a major factor in him getting canned. It was a pretty classless chant to say the least, and I'm glad that Coach K nixed that one on the spot.

weezie
11-28-2018, 01:30 PM
K is absolutely right. The Crazies were pretty limp last night and falling back on the "Hi So and So, YOU SUCK!" is soooo tired and lame. The over-rated chant might work for a team but it's not right to aim it at one player.

We had an indiana fan next to us last night who, rightly, commented that Cameron wasn't as loud as it's rep considering the canned music piped in. We told him to come back for the holetar game but had to agree that we looked lazy last night as a fan base. The Club Cameron song late in second half was excruciatingly loud, much more than necessary, and the volume seemed to tamp down the Crazies, too. I think somebody passed out and fainted on the volume button.

Actually, the band was great though. They seem bright and happy.

The team, K, and the band give it their all. The fans need to come join the effort.

And anybody who has something to say about RJ can meet me behind the concession stand after school. I'll be waiting!!! :cool:

OldPhiKap
11-28-2018, 01:34 PM
K is absolutely right. The Crazies were pretty limp last night and falling back on the "Hi So and So, YOU SUCK!" is soooo tired and lame. The over-rated chant might work for a team but it's not right to aim it at one player.

We had an indiana fan next to us last night who, rightly, commented that Cameron wasn't as loud as it's rep considering the canned music piped in. We told him to come back for the holetar game but had to agree that we looked lazy last night as a fan base. The Club Cameron song late in second half was excruciatingly loud, much more than necessary, and the volume seemed to tamp down the Crazies, too. I think somebody passed out and fainted on the volume button.

The team, K, and the band give it their all. The fans need to come join the effort.

And anybody who has something to say about RJ can meet me behind the concession stand after school. I'll be waiting!!! :cool:

"Weezie . . . with a lead pipe . . . in the boiler room . . . ."

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 01:35 PM

Interesting, thanks for the perspective weezie! I'm disappointed the "you suck" thing has come back, I thought we phased that out years ago... I agree its completely unnecessary. There is the possibility the student section wasn't as full as usual given it was only a few days following thanksgiving break, but I'm probably projecting there. I'm sure it'll ramp back up by ACC season!

Highlander
11-28-2018, 01:35 PM
During the mid-90's we once chanted "overrated" at Tim Duncan, who was having a subpar game. Tim apparently heard us and took over the last 8 or so minutes of the game to will Wake to a win in Cameron. Not our finest moment. A few weeks later right before the UNC game he asked the Crazies something like "<sic>If Jerry Stackhouse is having a bad game on Saturday, instead of chanting "overrated" at him, can you just let it be our secret? </sic>" We got a chuckle out of that.

I remember him asking during a game that the Crazies "not to chant "you suck" at Mr. Paparo." I thought the crazies responded with "You Suck, Richard!" but that may be a selective memory.

Also remember the laser pointer thing was during this era, as Wojo was in the game.

During my 4 years, K always encouraged the Crazies to cheer FOR our guys and not AGAINST others. He's also not a big fan of crazy costumes and face paint because it makes the Crazies, rather than the players, the center of attention.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2018, 01:37 PM
During the mid-90's we once chanted "overrated" at Tim Duncan, who was having a subpar game. Tim apparently heard us and took over the last 8 or so minutes of the game to will Wake to a win in Cameron. Not our finest moment. A few weeks later right before the UNC game he asked the Crazies something like "<sic>If Jerry Stackhouse is having a bad game on Saturday, instead of chanting "overrated" at him, can you just let it be our secret? </sic>" We got a chuckle out of that.

I remember him asking during a game that the Crazies "not to chant "you suck" at Mr. Paparo." I thought the crazies responded with "You Suck, Richard!" but that may be a selective memory.

Also remember the laser pointer thing was during this era, as Wojo was in the game.

During my 4 years, K always encouraged the Crazies to cheer FOR our guys and not AGAINST others. He's also not a big fan of crazy costumes and face paint because it makes the Crazies, rather than the players, the center of attention.

When Shaq played in Cameron, he went up for a slam. He was a bit too far out, though, so he did this really nifty finger-roll.

The crowd started chanting "Shaq can't slam! Shaq can't slam!"

The look on his face was priceless. You gotta be kidding me

weezie
11-28-2018, 01:41 PM
...I'm sure it'll ramp back up by ACC season!

I agree with you.

As long as folks accept that there's more going on than waiting for Z to slam home the rock, it'll be a blast. In fact one of the best plays last night was Tre's steal that lead to a nice, soft layup.

Very pretty and smooth as a summer breeze.

brlftz
11-28-2018, 01:52 PM
Yep, I was at that game. It was a fellow Mormon playing for Michigan (Robbie Reid). His dad (Roger Reid) was the coach at BYU, and his failure to land Burgess was considered a major factor in him getting canned. It was a pretty classless chant to say the least, and I'm glad that Coach K nixed that one on the spot.

I was at that game too, and that was a real low blow. Not only was it classless and cruel to Reid, it wasn't kind to Burgess, who didn't need his own fans putting that on him.

JetpackJesus
11-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Can confirm. I want to say it was 03/04.

Remember what happened when somebody was shining a red laser light while an opponent was shooting free throws? I can't remember how long ago that was, but Coach K was not happy. IIRC he went to the public address microphone and put a stop to it in a hurry.

He did something similar when a student brought a vuvuzela (or something like one) to a game. The ref stopped play because of it and K immediately went to the PA mic and asked the student to pass it forward to the official because NCAA rules do not allow noise makers. The student complied promptly. I think I recall some other students also passed noise-making devices forward, too. I do not recall which year or game that was.

Meanwhile Gary Williams was asking MD fans to stop chanting vulgar things at JJ, wearing uncensored F**k Duke shirts, and bringing signs saying MD students had raped JJ's minor sister because ESPN had advised MD that it could not show the students on camera during broadcasts and would have to mute the crowd mics to avoid FCC violations. MD students did not comply.

I also recall K admonishing students not to bring plastic bags with sugar (I think?) to taunt Darryl Strawberry Jr. I do not recall if that happened before, during, or after the game, though. I think K was right on that one.

El_Diablo
11-28-2018, 01:56 PM
When Dick Paparro was reffing, the students used to chant “You suck, Dick” though obviously, you couldn’t hear the comma. For some reason, one game Coach K charged over to the microphone and yelled out “Stop saying “You suck Dick”!”

After which the the Crazies shifted to chanting "You suck, Richard." :D

I have seen Coach K tell the Crazies to knock something off a couple other times (in-game) but do not remember specifics.

Coach K was right to shut down the Crazies on that last night. It was a pretty stupid and lazy chant to begin with (as this particular freshman is averaging 18 ppg and 6 rpg and is obviously very talented), and Coach K has been consistent in pushing back on that type of criticism of his own young players. It is also important to note that Coach K recruited Langford and undoubtedly knows him better than any of the trolls in the stands who were lobbing lazy criticisms at the kid.

SorryForHot
11-28-2018, 01:58 PM
It may just me being and older adult now and I have the "get off my lawn" disease, but the overrated chant is just tiresome and shows a disrespect for an opposing player. Other schools do it to our players all the time and we (or at least I) just think how utterly uninformed these fans are. Also, K knows Langford isn't overrated and probably got annoyed with that lack of knowledge from our attending fans who are supposed to be the smartest of the smart.

devildeac
11-28-2018, 02:01 PM

I have seen Coach K tell the Crazies to knock something off a couple other times (in-game) but do not remember specifics.

Coach K was right to shut down the Crazies on that last night. It was a pretty stupid and lazy chant to begin with (as this particular freshman is averaging 18 ppg and 6 rpg and is obviously very talented), and Coach K has been consistent in pushing back on that type of criticism of his own young players. It is also important to note that Coach K recruited Langford and undoubtedly knows him better than any of the trolls in the stands who were lobbing lazy criticisms at the kid.

"Hand job" directed at a UVA player was also silenced appropriately and pretty quickly by K many years ago.

Paparo still sucked though.

MulletMan
11-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Can confirm. I want to say it was 03/04.

Meanwhile Gary Williams was asking MD fans to stop chanting vulgar things at JJ, wearing uncensored F**k Duke shirts, and bringing signs saying MD students had raped JJ's minor sister because ESPN had advised MD that it could not show the students on camera during broadcasts and would have to mute the crowd mics to avoid FCC violations. MD students did not comply.

This period of my life is admittedly blurry (thanks Gradskoolz!), but my recollection is that Gary never had a problem with the way that JJ was treated. Admins admonished the Maryland fans, but Gary... not so much.

hallcity
11-28-2018, 02:05 PM
When Shaq played in Cameron, he went up for a slam. He was a bit too far out, though, so he did this really nifty finger-roll.

Shaq's reaction to that jest didn't help LSU. Shaq missed most of the game due to foul trouble. Laettner took him out to the three point line. If Shaq got close enough to Laettner to guard three point attempts, Laettner went right past him, causing Shaq to grab and get called for a foul. If Shaq laid off, Laettner hit threes. Impossible matchup for Shaq. On the other end, Laettner did his trick where he bodied up Shaq hard and then suddenly fell back, leaving Shaq to stumble and travel. I think Shaq also got called for a charge or two. Laettner was very crafty and very well coached. Dale Brown was a terrible coach, which didn't help. It was a fascinating game.

BLPOG
11-28-2018, 02:12 PM
I quite like chants that target individual players (sorry, Coach) but I think they should be tailored to the player, not overused, and not cruel. "Please don't eat me"* is quite possibly my all-time favorite. It has a nice frivolity to it.

I am frustrated to hear that the Crazies are adding "you suck" to the starter salutations. When I was in school, you typically only heard that at the UNC game - which I find excusable - and among the benighted freshmen who had not been properly instructed during the first couple games. It never persisted into late November, by my recollection.

* Some folks might say mocking a person for his weight is cruel, but in the context of elite athletes I think mocking someone for being out of shape isn't exactly beyond the pale.

Rich
11-28-2018, 02:25 PM

There was also a St. John's player who Coach K told the Crazies to lay off of before the game, but I can't remember the specific circumstances.

CDu
11-28-2018, 02:29 PM
There was also a St. John's player who Coach K told the Crazies to lay off of before the game, but I can't remember the specific circumstances.

Yep, Erick Barkley.

Tripping William
11-28-2018, 02:29 PM

Ditto for Loren Woods when he was at Wake.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2018, 02:40 PM
I am frustrated to hear that the Crazies are adding "you suck" to the starter salutations.

Yeah, to add my own "get off my lawn" gripe -- this is just really played and juvenile at this point. Except for UNC, of course.

Are we really gonna yell that at players from Stetson? Princeton?

I prefer the more welcoming "Hi, ______!" and leave it at that.

But the lawn needs clearing so I'll hang up and listen to the response.

lgd
11-28-2018, 02:43 PM

IIRC during that same game we started chanting "Camby's better" to Duncan. That's I think what really got him. I remember him taking over and brutalizing us. Definitely not our finest moment. :(

Stray Gator
11-28-2018, 02:45 PM
I've seen K stop chants aimed at specific visiting players or coaches on a few occasions -- once he jumped up off the bench and yelled at the Crazies: "That's a bad cheer!"

Regarding the chants from the student section last night, we had two Indiana fans sitting next to us. They were quite amiable, and once it became obvious that the Hoosiers were probably not going to make it a competitive game, we spent most of the game trading humorous quips about the spectacular as well as the sloppy plays by both teams. They even were good-natured about the "Overrated" chants (which I believe were aimed at Langford), asking with a chuckle if the students were aware of the score (implying that the chant was restating the obvious, and perhaps could be regarded as a dig at our own team).

At one point, however, for no apparent reason, a section of the Crazies started chanting "IU sucks! IU sucks!" Fortunately, it died out quickly; but I've never been more ashamed and embarrassed by the fans of my own team at a sporting event.

I've said it before here, but after last night it bears repeating: Yelling "you suck!" at opposing players and coaches is not only an unseemly and totally lame practice that has long since worn out its welcome, but it completely undermines the reputation of the Cameron Crazies for coming up with creative, clever, humorous cheers. Please, just stop it.

AZLA
11-28-2018, 02:47 PM
I would have to disagree with your assertion he does this "all the time"... like I said, during my four years as a Crazy I can't remember a single instance of him doing this in a game, although he did make some requests in general outside of the arena, as I mentioned. I very well could be suffering from some confirmation bias, however... so examples would be greatly appreciated?

Regardless of the frequency at which this happens, I'm still curious as to what the vibe/reaction was to it in the stadium.

Agreed. Was a good move to shut that dumb chant down. Kind of how I felt at the end of the Auburn game in Maui when the Iron Duke section started the chant “Our House” at the Lahaina Civic Center. Granted Duke was then 12-0 there after that win, but wow it was obnoxious, especially considering they still had to face Gonzaga and look how that turned out. Sheeeesh. Can we just do away with “Our House” chant altogether? If Duke wins at home, then it’s even more lame. Yes we all know it’s your house. Great. Move on... got anything more original?

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 02:53 PM
This discussion is bringing up an interesting question: where is the line for the Crazies? This is something I wrote about in that column I linked to (it makes me feel super old to realize that was almost a decade ago now!)... line monitors would encourage us to research players' romantic histories, troubles with the law, etc. to use for chants, but then would get upset at other chants the seemingly randomly deemed "classless". At the time it seemed pretty contradictory to me, and I find myself in a similar situation with this. Is chanting "overrated" at an individual player worse than chanting "She said no!" at Wayne Ellington, or "Sean May eats babies?". That's obviously a topic that fair-minded people can disagree on and have a variety of perspectives on, but IMHO the later are much worse than the former.

Obviously there are a ton of extenuating circumstances that could come into play... the fact that K knew Langford from recruiting could be one, the context of his own freshmen getting similar treatment might be another. But I think we need to be careful about wanting it both ways from the Crazies, i.e. wanting them to be loud, creative, and distracting while at the same time being paragons of virtue. That isn't feasible... in no way do we want to venture into Maryland fan territory, but we also don't want to be a wine-and-cheese crowd. Figuring out where that line is is something we could debate ad nauseum, but seemingly drawing it at the "overrated" chant seemed odd to me, again unless something else was at play in K's mind (which is why I was wondering if he had mentioned it postgame... I know if I had been in that presser that would've been the question I asked, haha).

IMHO if the Crazies aren't abusing vulgarities, aren't using any material that is racially/religiously/etc. motivated and thus intolerant (which is obviously a given and hasn't been an issue as far as I know, but I feel that should be made abundantly clear in any discussion like this), and are using material that is either A) common knowledge (i.e. if a guy tweets about his romantic troubles or something similar, I think that makes it fair game) or B) something that reflects a clear moral flaw (i.e. legal trouble... I remember shouting "DUI" at Ty Lawson mercilessly) then that's the Crazies living up to their name. Mocking a player's fashion choices from a picture he posted is one thing, but mocking his girlfriend from that same picture is obviously over the line. From there the line gets blurry and can/should obviously be adjusted on a case by case basis. The "overrated" chant is so overused that it's something the Crazies should be above, and thus discouraged, but the reaction from K seemed a tad disproportionate to me.

From the agnostic approach I took in the above it should be clear I don't know the answer, nor do I claim to... I just think this is an interesting case study in the topic, and one where maybe there was a bit of "over-correcting". Curious to see how this discussion develops!

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Yeah, to add my own "get off my lawn" gripe -- this is just really played and juvenile at this point. Except for UNC, of course.

Are we really gonna yell that at players from Stetson? Princeton?

I prefer the more welcoming "Hi, ______!" and leave it at that.

But the lawn needs clearing so I'll hang up and listen to the response.

My thoughts exactly regarding the "you suck" chant. I had thought this was no longer an issue, to be honest, so am disappointed to hear it made its way back last night.

BLPOG
11-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Agreed. Was a good move to shut that dumb chant down. Kind of how I felt at the end of the Auburn game in Maui when the Iron Duke section started the chant “Our House” at the Lahaina Civic Center. Granted Duke was then 12-0 there after that win, but wow it was obnoxious, especially considering they still had to face Gonzaga and look how that turned out. Sheeeesh. Can we just do away with “Our House” chant altogether? If Duke wins at home, then it’s even more lame. Yes we all know it’s your house. Great. Move on... got anything more original?

I thought it was really stupid in Maui.

It doesn't bother me at home, though it has grown a bit overused. I can't remember if it was used at all prior to 2009-2010, but if memory serves, that was the season that featured the "Our House" pre-game hype video. It only took a handful of games to get to the point at which the cheer was being used at the close of every (non-nail-biter) win. Since we won all 17 home games that season, it was certainly appropriate at the time.

JetpackJesus
11-28-2018, 03:03 PM
This period of my life is admittedly blurry (thanks Gradskoolz!), but my recollection is that Gary never had a problem with the way that JJ was treated. Admins admonished the Maryland fans, but Gary... not so much.

I should clarify that I wasn't referring to any in-game requests or admonitions by Gary. I do recall reading at the time about how the MD administration (and Gary, specifically) asked students to clean up their act in general. Of course, that was mostly because ESPN told them that the MD students needed to clean up their act, not necessarily because Gary or the administration had any problem with it.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think the main reason it ended up in the news was MD said they could not eject fans without violating the 1st Amendment because UMD is a public institution and the team played in a public facility. UMD asked the state AG for guidance on what actions, if any, it could take to restrict or control the behavior of their fans.

JetpackJesus
11-28-2018, 03:05 PM

It doesn't bother me at home, though it has grown a bit overused. I can't remember if it was used at all prior to 2009-2010, but if memory serves, that was the season that featured the "Our House" pre-game hype video. It only took a handful of games to get to the point at which the cheer was being used at the close of every (non-nail-biter) win. Since we won all 17 home games that season, it was certainly appropriate at the time.

FWIW, I was in the East Bleachers at the Auburn game. I did not notice them trying to start an "Our House" chant, so it must have died down quickly.

On the "Our House" chant, I was there from '02-'06, and we chanted it in the last minute of games. I think we did it regardless of whether Duke was going to win the game, but I might be misremembering.

El_Diablo
11-28-2018, 03:06 PM
I thought it really stupid in Maui.

It doesn't bother me at home, though it has grown a bit overused. I can't remember if it was used at all prior to 2009-2010, but if memory serves, that was the season that featured the "Our House" pre-game hype video. It only took a handful of games to get to the point at which the cheer was being used at the finish of every (non-nail-biter) win. Since we won all 17 home games that season, it was certainly appropriate at the time.

It was definitely used before then, but by that time it had fully morphed into a victory chant that is only reserved for the last minute or so of the game. Before then, it could be busted out basically whenever (even the first half) and seemed like it was used more to help hype up the team in a closely fought struggle as a type of counterpunch; now it is mainly just used to celebrate a win.

BLPOG
11-28-2018, 03:13 PM
I should clarify that I wasn't referring to any in-game requests or admonitions by Gary. I do recall reading at the time about how the MD administration (and Gary, specifically) asked students to clean up their act in general. Of course, that was mostly because ESPN told them that the MD students needed to clean up their act, not necessarily because Gary or the administration had any problem with it.

My memory is fuzzy, but I think the main reason it ended up in the news was MD said they could not eject fans without violating the 1st Amendment because UMD is a public institution and the team played in a public facility. UMD asked the state AG for guidance on what actions, if any, it could take to restrict or control the behavior of their fans.

Time for my favorite Gary story. I think it was during the January 24, 2009, 85-44 (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3653180) beatdown in Cameron (it was more one-sided than the final score indicates) that Gary, while heading to the locker room at half-time and in response to the roaring cheers of "Sweat, Gary, sweat," singled out one enthusiastic grad student nearby and informed him, "You're fat and you're ugly!"

subzero02
11-28-2018, 03:14 PM

I was in the crowd when we began chanting "hand job" to uva guard Donald Hand... coach K walked toward TV side and yelled, "stop saying hand job!!!". Everyone immediately complied.

I was also in the crowd when we began chanting "Burgess got your daddy fired!!" to Michigan guard Robbie Reid while he was at the foul line... coach K walked towards TV side again and said "no, no that is not a good cheer!". Everyone immediately stopped the chant. I blame the cheer sheet writer for that one. The cheer was in reference to a comment Reid's dad made about Chris Burgess, a mormon, choosing to attend Duke over BYU. Roger Reid was BYU's head coach at the time and he was fired shortly thereafter IIRC. He said that Burgess had just broken the hearts of millions of morons or something to that effect.

devildeac
11-28-2018, 03:16 PM
I was in the crowd when we began chanting "hand job" to uva guard Donald Hand... coach K walked toward TV side and yelled, "stop saying hand job!!!". Everyone immediately complied.

I was also in the crowd when we began chanting "Burgess got your daddy fired!!" to Michigan guard Robbie Reid while he was at the foul line... coach K walked towards TV side again and said "no, no that is not a good cheer!". Everyone immediately stopped the chant. I blame the cheer sheet writer for that one. The cheer was in reference to a comment Reid's dad made about Chris Burgess, a mormon, choosing to attend Duke over BYU. Roger Reid was BYU's head coach at the time and he was fired shortly thereafter IIRC. He said that Burgess had just broken the hearts of millions of morons or something to that effect.

Typo?

English
11-28-2018, 03:18 PM
I've seen K stop chants aimed at specific visiting players or coaches on a few occasions -- once he jumped up off the bench and yelled at the Crazies: "That's a bad cheer!"

Regarding the chants from the student section last night, we had two Indiana fans sitting next to us. They were quite amiable, and once it became obvious that the Hoosiers were probably not going to make it a competitive game, we spent most of the game trading humorous quips about the spectacular as well as the sloppy plays by both teams. They even were good-natured about the "Overrated" chants (which I believe were aimed at Langford), asking with a chuckle if the students were aware of the score (implying that the chant was restating the obvious, and perhaps could be regarded as a dig at our own team).

At one point, however, for no apparent reason, a section of the Crazies started chanting "IU sucks! IU sucks!" Fortunately, it died out quickly; but I've never been more ashamed and embarrassed by the fans of my own team at a sporting event.

I've said it before here, but after last night it bears repeating: Yelling "you suck!" at opposing players and coaches is not only an unseemly and totally lame practice that has long since worn out its welcome, but it completely undermines the reputation of the Cameron Crazies for coming up with creative, clever, humorous cheers. Please, just stop it.

Is this wild hyperbole, or do you mostly attend tennis matches and chess tournaments? Seriously, "you suck" is the most embarrassing and shameful thing your fanbase has done at a sporting event? I agree that it's lame and unoriginal, but c'mon. Were you getting the vapors? I don't even think it was the most embarrassing thing the fans did LAST NIGHT. Still, to each his own, I guess.

camion
Typo?

Or auto-correct?

jimsumner
"Over-rated" has always seemed like a fundamentally illogical cheer to me. If your team has just pulled off an upset, why would you want to diminish that upset by suggesting that your opponent wasn't all that good to begin with?

Doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?

BLPOG
11-28-2018, 03:20 PM
"Over-rated" has always seemed like a fundamentally illogical cheer to me. If your team has just pulled off an upset, why would you want to diminish that upset by suggesting that your opponent wasn't all that good to begin with?

Completely agree. It's like compulsive court-rushing but the other way around. So many teams that are not enormous underdogs have fans rush the court, essentially saying "our team isn't that great."

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 03:21 PM

I'm 100% with you on that... and I like that a lot of TV announcers have picked up on that line of thought at have mentioned that during games I've watched.

I think we mostly all agree that the "overrated" chant is both silly and overdone, and thus hopefully beneath the Crazies. The question is, did it merit the reaction from K on par with some of the stuff we've discussed in this thread of a much more personal or inappropriate (i.e. sexual) nature? And if it did, why didn't some of the other notorious/beloved chants from the Crazies then cross the line? An unanswerable question, perhaps, but an interesting one to be sure.

luvdahops
11-28-2018, 03:24 PM

K also some connections to IU, indirectly via Knight but also directly from his year as an assistant there very early in his career. I think he also has a lot of respect for Archie, who was a tough little SOB as a player and clearly has some coaching chops.

CDu
My thoughts exactly regarding the "you suck" chant. I had thought this was no longer an issue, to be honest, so am disappointed to hear it made its way back last night.

I am pretty sure it has been still around for a long time. I heard it at the game I went to last year, and the one I went to the year prior. I think any attempts to get rid of it were temporary.

scottdude8
Completely agree. It's the same as compulsive court-rushing but the other way around. So many teams that are not enormous underdogs have fans rush the court, essentially saying "our team isn't that great."

Don't get me started on that. OSU rushed the field after they beat my Wolverines last weekend. Made absolutely no sense. Meanwhile, in my first year of grad school at U of M the students rushed the field after we beat Michigan State for the first time in four years. I actively tried to prevent them from doing it, obviously to no avail (and I'm ashamed to say I used it as an excuse to quickly run onto the field, just to say I had been on the field at Michigan stadium, haha). I'm not a big Seth Greenberg fan, which I think is something a lot of us share, but his "rules" for a valid court storming are usually pretty spot on. In general, if you're storming the court/field more than once every two-three years, you're doing something wrong.

scottdude8
11-28-2018, 03:25 PM
I am pretty sure it has been still around for a long time. I heard it at the game I went to last year, and the one I went to the year prior.

Ahh... maybe its just since they don't televise the intros that much that I thought it had dissipated. I know for the last two years I was in Cameron we got rid of that part of the chant after K explicitly asked us to. I guess it got picked back up.

rasputin
11-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Is this wild hyperbole, or do you mostly attend tennis matches and chess tournaments? Seriously, "you suck" is the most embarrassing and shameful thing your fanbase has done at a sporting event? I agree that it's lame and unoriginal, but c'mon. Were you getting the vapors? I don't even think it was the most embarrassing thing the fans did LAST NIGHT. Still, to each his own, I guess.

Stray's comment was about being embarrassed by fans of the team he was rooting for.

Not all fan bases are created equal. Like, say, Maryland, which is one of the worst.

The worst "cheer" ever has to be when a few Arizona State rooters started yelling "PLO" at Steve Kerr, Arizona player, whose father had been murdered in Lebanon. Even knowing that it was just a few people participating in such horrible conduct, I have subconsciously harbored a low opinion of ASU ever since.

uh_no
11-28-2018, 03:39 PM

Agree. I'd say it happens about once a year. Usually when he thinks the fans are being inappropriately negative to a player on the other team.

He prefers the crazies focus on duke, and doesn't like the "overrated" chant to begin with (tbf, it's kinda stupid...).

I think he might have been annoyed already since the "you suck" seems to have come back during opponent introductions...something he is against...and I think they were also just cheering "I U sucks"....which is kindergarten levels of pathetic.

That said, I thought the gratuitous use of "who's your daddy" was great....especially with the double entedre (hoosier).

The "throw the chair" line had me bursting out laughing.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Agree. I'd say it happens about once a year. Usually when he thinks the fans are being inappropriately negative to a player on the other team.

He prefers the crazies focus on duke, and doesn't like the "overrated" chant to begin with (tbf, it's kinda stupid...).

I think he might have been annoyed already since the "you suck" seems to have come back during opponent introductions...something he is against...and I think they were also just cheering "I U sucks"...which is kindergarten levels of pathetic.

That said, I thought the gratuitous use of "who's your daddy" was great...especially with the double entedre (hoosier).

The "throw the chair" line had me bursting out laughing.

Wonder what he would say about the car keys jingled, condoms, panties etc, thrown on the court in honor of certain players at introductions (I think from State and Maryland) in the past? Those were funny pranks.

subzero02
11-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Typo?

Autocorrect mormons...

uh_no
11-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Wonder what he would say about the car keys jingled, condoms, panties etc, thrown on the court in honor of certain players at introductions (I think from State and Maryland) in the past? Those were funny pranks.

he's not a fan. It's a bit of a rock/hard place. He wants the crazies to be creative, but most of the creative things that the crazies are known for are negative things directed at opponents. He thinks the crazies just need to be MORE creative, but i'm not sure there is much room there.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-28-2018, 03:56 PM
he's not a fan. It's a bit of a rock/hard place. He wants the crazies to be creative, but most of the creative things that the crazies are known for are negative things directed at opponents. He thinks the crazies just need to be MORE creative, but i'm not sure there is much room there.

You are correct...it is a catch 22 type thing...the image for the Crazies was started before they were named the crazies (was that McGuire? Vitale? Musberger? Who started that?). And the image started before K, with the car keys, panties, condoms etc...and of course, who can ever forget "we beg to differ" cheer. Now K has of course built an entire image over nearly 40 years...I guess things have to evolve. Fine line...but we don't want to end up like Maryland...but one thing about K, he realizes how critical Cameron, and the atmosphere, are to the entire program. And they are. He has called the student section part of the team at times in the past.

devildeac
11-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Autocorrect mormons...

I thought so but feared someone being insulted and/or you getting flamed for the previous word. :o

Stray Gator
11-28-2018, 04:30 PM

First of all, let me say that I've never attended a tennis match or a chess tournament, so I cannot speak from personal experience about how fans typically behave at such events. But I've been attending college football (mostly SEC with some ACC) and basketball (mostly ACC with some SEC) regularly for more than 50 years. I've had season football tickets at Florida since the early 1980s and at Duke since the late 1990s; and I've had season tickets to Duke basketball since the 2002-03 season, although I attended many games in Cameron before then as a student, an alumnus, and a parent of two undergrads. I've been to 10 Final Fours, 5 college football national championship games, 10 SEC football championship games, dozens of ACC Tournament games, and numerous football and basketball games at sites where fans are known to get rowdy (including LSU, Miami, FSU, Georgia in Jacksonville, MSG, etc.). So I think it's fair to say that I've had ample opportunity to observe a wide range of fan behavior and misbehavior at major college sports events.

Next, let me repeat that the specific incident I cited as causing me to feel the most ashamed and embarrassed last night was a section of students chanting "IU sucks." FWIW, as a Duke alumnus and fan, I still think the practice of "welcoming" visiting players when they're being introduced with "Hi (name), you suck!" is embarrassing, too; but not to the same level. As I said before, I think it's lame, and the opposite of clever or creative; in fact, I'd add that yelling "you suck" at players even before we see how they perform against our team makes the chant more aptly descriptive of the people yelling it than the players at whom it's directed. Just like I believe that chanting "Overrated" at a team that isn't even ranked, and that your team was already expected to beat, is inherently obtuse. While I've heard opposing fans yell "you suck" (and much worse at FSU) at individual Duke players, and "Duke sucks" at our team, I don't recall ever previously hearing fans of my teams -- meaning Duke fans or Florida fans -- vocalize that chant as a group at an opposing player or team during a game. If it happened, it happened on one of those rare occasions when I wasn't there.

But as you say, each fan is entitled to exercise his or her own judgment about what kind of cheers or chants are appropriate and worthy of appreciation. Personally, I prefer the ones that are creative, clever, and funny -- that make even visitors and the viewing audience chuckle. (For example, I thought the Crazies came up with a pretty good one last night when they chanted "Throw a chair!") Evidently, you and some portion of the current students have standards that differ from mine. I recognize the right of others to engage in behavior that I think reflects poorly on our fan base. But I trust you will acknowledge that I have an equal right to express my feeling that such conduct is lamentable and embarrassing.

Lar77
11-28-2018, 05:31 PM
First of all, let me say that I've never attended a tennis match or a chess tournament, so I cannot speak from personal experience about how fans typically behave at such events. But I've been attending college football (mostly SEC with some ACC) and basketball (mostly ACC with some SEC) regularly for more than 50 years. I've had season football tickets at Florida since the early 1980s and at Duke since the late 1990s; and I've had season tickets to Duke basketball since the 2002-03 season, although I attended many games in Cameron before then as a student, an alumnus, and a parent of two undergrads. I've been to 10 Final Fours, 5 college football national championship games, 10 SEC football championship games, dozens of ACC Tournament games, and numerous football and basketball games at sites where fans are known to get rowdy (including LSU, Miami, FSU, Georgia in Jacksonville, MSG, etc.). So I think it's fair to say that I've had ample opportunity to observe a wide range of fan behavior and misbehavior at major college sports events.

Next, let me repeat that the specific incident I cited as causing me to feel the most ashamed and embarrassed last night was a section of students chanting "IU sucks." FWIW, as a Duke alumnus and fan, I still think the practice of "welcoming" visiting players when they're being introduced with "Hi (name), you suck!" is embarrassing, too; but not to the same level. As I said before, I think it's lame, and the opposite of clever or creative; in fact, I'd add that yelling "you suck" at players even before we see how they perform against our team makes the chant more aptly descriptive of the people yelling it than the players at whom it's directed. Just like I believe that chanting "Overrated" at a team that isn't even ranked, and that your team was already expected to beat, is inherently obtuse. While I've heard opposing fans yell "you suck" (and much worse at FSU) at individual Duke players, and "Duke sucks" at our team, I don't recall ever previously hearing fans of my teams -- meaning Duke fans or Florida fans -- vocalize that chant as a group at an opposing player or team during a game. If it happened, it happened on one of those rare occasions when I wasn't there.

But as you say, each fan is entitled to exercise his or her own judgment about what kind of cheers or chants are appropriate and worthy of appreciation. Personally, I prefer the ones that are creative, clever, and funny -- that make even visitors and the viewing audience chuckle. (For example, I thought the Crazies came up with a pretty good one last night when they chanted "Throw a chair!") Evidently, you and some portion of the current students have standards that differ from mine. I recognize the right of others to engage in behavior that I think reflects poorly on our fan base. But I trust you will acknowledge that I have an equal right to express my feeling that such conduct is lamentable and embarrassing.

Well said StrayGator. Over the years, other student sections have tried to "be like the Crazies" and it often just becomes "overrated" and "you suck". The Crazies reputation was built on creativity and being close to the action. Occasionally, it is tasteless. But "you suck" is something I'd expect from Big Blue Nation (There was a cartoon video on that, wasn't there?) or the twerps.

CameronBornAndBred
11-28-2018, 05:40 PM

That game was the first time I remember hearing the "over-rated" chant.

kcduke75
11-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Hey Crazies, "you SUCK!"

That's what I have wanted to post here for years when I hear that in the introductions.

I attended Duke in the early 70's and a couple years ago I lost my season tickets (since 1983). So I have been to a lot of games in Cameron.

I could not agree more with Stray (and I wish I was half as eloquent).

Not only does it make the Crazies seem petty and ignorant (is that the best you can do?), it does motivate the other team.

It was reserved for UNCheat games for years and in at least one game I could see their players react to that and blow us off the court for the first 10 minutes in one game.

Why?

Stupid, immature, dumb, . . . . and motivates our opponent.

Why?

-jk
11-28-2018, 07:41 PM

I always thought his parents named him appropriately!

As I distinctly recall, it started as “Dick! You suck!”

-jk

HereBeforeCoachK
11-28-2018, 07:46 PM
As I distinctly recall, it started as “Dick! You suck!”

-jk

...hopefully he wasn't known as "Little Dick Paparro..."

devildeac
11-28-2018, 08:30 PM
...hopefully he wasn't known as "Little Dick Paparro..."

No, but just maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVWm9PQeYtE

Durham Blue Devil
11-28-2018, 08:47 PM

I totally agree. This is my 11th season with season tickets and last night was the first time I felt embarrassed or uncomfortable in the building as a Duke fan when hearing "IU Sucks" out of the blue for no apparent reason during a quiet stoppage of play in the second half. I'm not a fan of the "you suck" after each player's pregame introduction either, but last night was worse - it was lazy, dumb, unprompted given no real historical disdain towards the team, and again, somewhat embarrassing.

Bluedog
11-28-2018, 10:26 PM
I agree with the majority of the comments that it certainly wasn't the best chant, but what the Crazies do on the "shameful scale" pales into comparison to what most schools do to our players. Did any opposing coach shut down "F U Grayson" chants? Or "Laettner is gay" chants when he was around? Some criticize the crazies for not being 'edgy' enough and not getting under player's skins anymore like they used to do in the 80s/90s and then if they do anything somewhat controversial, they get lambasted. Although the edgy stuff I guess is usually reserved for a single person shouting something, not the entire crowd. And, at Duke, that rarely happens where somebody says something outrageous in the Cameron crowd (again, not like JJ had to endure with threats/profanities about his family members which is obviously, not something I'd like Duke students to emulate.)

And, the above is not meant to be the "everybody does it" defense." It's this "sometimes you push the boundary to see where that boundary is" defense and edgy can be good.

Having said that, 'overrated' is about the least clever cheer around as it's used all the time by every school and I also thought it diminished your own team too (saying the opponent is overrated means your own team isn't beating a very good team/player). And also the "you suck" chant I agree is not very clever/effective either.

Honestly, the most effective chant in Cameron that impacted a player that I've been to was at a women's game. A player had been arrested for Shoplifting at Wal-Mart and they handed out Wal-Mart plastic bags which the students waved in the air and chanted "Wal-Mart"...The player (and coach) made a comment about it after the game that it hurt her feelings and impacted her play, and they thought it was inappriopriate. Was that cruel? Maybe. But it clearly was effective. I'm still undecided on it to be honest.

Edouble
11-28-2018, 10:38 PM

Late to the party, but the "Our House" chant was started during the 1999-2000 season.

Dukeford
11-28-2018, 10:53 PM
Shaq's reaction to that jest didn't help LSU. Shaq missed most of the game due to foul trouble. Laettner took him out to the three point line. If Shaq got close enough to Laettner to guard three point attempts, Laettner went right past him, causing Shaq to grab and get called for a foul. If Shaq laid off, Laettner hit threes. Impossible matchup for Shaq. On the other end, Laettner did his trick where he bodied up Shaq hard and then suddenly fell back, leaving Shaq to stumble and travel. I think Shaq also got called for a charge or two. Laettner was very crafty and very well coached. Dale Brown was a terrible coach, which didn't help. It was a fascinating game.

"One...two...three...four, Shaq can't play this game no more"
(after his 4th foul, of course)

OldPhiKap
11-28-2018, 10:58 PM
(after his 4th foul, of course)

Yup.

devilirium
11-28-2018, 11:25 PM

I think there's some credence to the notion that K gave the Crazies more rope in the 80s and briefly in the mid 90's when Duke needed that edge. Nowadays, "Oh no, not Sullivan", yelling "stop...freeze" at Adrian Branch, "Cameron Crazy...really crazy" at McCants would practically get you excused from Duke, it seems. K doesn't need the Crazies as much anymore--or at least not in that manner.

uh_no
11-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Honestly, the most effective chant in Cameron that impacted a player that I've been to was at a women's game. A player had been arrested for Shoplifting at Wal-Mart and they handed out Wal-Mart plastic bags which the students waved in the air and chanted "Wal-Mart"...The player (and coach) made a comment about it after the game that it hurt her feelings and impacted her play, and they thought it was inappriopriate. Was that cruel? Maybe. But it clearly was effective. I'm still undecided on it to be honest.

Wasn't it "roll back prices"?

and Wasn't it tennessee, resulting in pat not wanting to play duke anymore?

BLPOG
11-28-2018, 11:55 PM
...The player (and coach) made a comment about it after the game that it hurt her feelings and impacted her play, and they thought it was inappriopriate. Was that cruel? Maybe. But it clearly was effective. I'm still undecided on it to be honest.

Your story got me thinking about going to the volleyball games and an example of something definitely appropriate and another, well, maybe not appropriate but (I think) within-bounds example (although it involved out-of-bounds, but I'm getting ahead of myself).

The appropriate thing, which was totally awesome, was something the (sparse) crowd would do when one player served (Maybe Rachael Moss? It was '09 that I recall). Before serving, she'd do a ritual dribble for mental prep a la someone at the foul line, then smack the ball together in her hands and follow with the serve. She'd hit the ball hard and it would really echo in Cameron. What the crowd did to enhance it was a normal clap timed with the bounces before the serve, and a LOUD clap timed with slamming the ball between her hands just before serving. It made for a tremendous, intimidating noise.

The other story involves an opposing player who dived way out for a ball and ended up rolling over right in front of me (we were sitting in the first row of 17). As she got up, I, uh, noticed a tattoo placed in a certain area in the vicinity of her backside that would usually be covered by her uniform.

So naturally I proceeded to try to chat her up about it whenever she might have contact with the ball.

I have had women give me angrier glares than Paige did, but not many.

ice-9
11-29-2018, 12:59 AM
FWIW, I was in the East Bleachers at the Auburn game. I did not notice them trying to start an "Our House" chant, so it must have died down quickly.

On the "Our House" chant, I was there from '02-'06, and we chanted it in the last minute of games. I think we did it regardless of whether Duke was going to win the game, but I might be misremembering.

98-02.

We used the "Our House" chant in the final minute of comeback wins. Never failed to send goosebumps, my favorite chant / moment of games.

Now I notice we use it all the freaking time, it's so watered down now.

tbyers11
11-29-2018, 02:01 AM
Late to the party, but the "Our House" chant was started during the 1999-2000 season.

Concur. I believe it originated during the comeback victory over DePaul that included a banked-in (no glass was called) game-winning OT 3 pointer from Nick Horvath

toothmechanic72
11-29-2018, 08:11 AM
I was at Duke from 1990-94 and remember also chanting "Shaq's got a big ol' butt, oh yeah!" during the LSU game. I also remember Coach K telling us before the Temple game to lay off John Chaney during the game. I think the previous game (Temple vs. UMass), Chaney had threatened to "kill" John Calipari after the game.

fidel
11-29-2018, 08:19 AM

Am I remembering correctly that this was followed by a crazy chant of “You suck, Richard”?

fidel
11-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Don't get me started on that. OSU rushed the field after they beat my Wolverines last weekend. Made absolutely no sense.

So knocking your rival out of playoff contention (who was on a ‘revenge tour’ btw), with a record 62 points scored against their number one rated defense, in the last home game of the year, isn’t rush-worthy?

Greetings from Columbus btw :)

scottdude8
11-29-2018, 09:58 AM
So knocking your rival out of playoff contention (who was on a ‘revenge tour’ btw), with a record 62 points scored against their number one rated defense, in the last home game of the year, isn’t rush-worthy?

Greetings from Columbus btw :)

Haha well I’m feeling better after the way we dismantled UNC on the basketball court last night, so I’ll let this slide for the most part ;) But IMHO you don’t rush the field if you’re a top-10 team unless it’s a major extenuating circumstance, right?

davec
11-29-2018, 09:58 AM

I was at Duke in the late 80's and recall K specifically referring to actions such as these. He pointed out that often the guys who were targeted ended up having career nights against Duke. So aside from any moral issues, he certainly had competitive ones for wanting the actions to stop.

Wander
11-29-2018, 10:06 AM

I remember that – uhno is right, it was Tennessee and Pat Summit. That's a perfect example of something that is edgy but I think still in bounds. Coach K probably would disapprove of it if you asked him, though.

"You suck" and "IU sucks" are super lame and should be retired immediately, but an enormous eye roll to the idea that they're the most shameful or embarrassing things said in the past 50 years at a game. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
11-29-2018, 10:16 AM
I was at Duke in the late 80's and recall K specifically referring to actions such as these. He pointed out that often the guys who were targeted ended up having career nights against Duke. So aside from any moral issues, he certainly had competitive ones for wanting the actions to stop.

Similarly, I recall a game against State where we were crushing them at halftime. Fans started with the "if you can't go to college . . . " chant. Valvano and company commenced to kicking our butt and winning the game.

Don't get me wrong, as a teenager or early twenty-something it was great fun. And I understand the exuberance of it all. But I think K is right to focus on Duke without poking the bear or being needlessly Richard-like.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Similarly, I recall a game against State where we were crushing them at halftime. Fans started with the "if you can't go to college . . . " chant. .

Wow, that dates back to the early 70s I think....maybe even earlier.

Acymetric
11-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Similarly, I recall a game against State where we were crushing them at halftime. Fans started with the "if you can't go to college . . . " chant. Valvano and company commenced to kicking our butt and winning the game.

Don't get me wrong, as a teenager or early twenty-something it was great fun. And I understand the exuberance of it all. But I think K is right to focus on Duke without poking the bear or being needlessly Richard-like.

Sorry, that chant is at worst a necessary evil, because it set's up my all-time favorite chant as a followup "If you can't go to State be a Ref".

Stray Gator
11-29-2018, 10:44 AM
I remember that – uhno is right, it was Tennessee and Pat Summit. That's a perfect example of something that is edgy but I think still in bounds. Coach K probably would disapprove of it if you asked him, though.

"You suck" and "IU sucks" are super lame and should be retired immediately, but an enormous eye roll to the idea that they're the most shameful or embarrassing things said in the past 50 years at a game. :rolleyes:

As I said, I understand and respect the fact that different fans have different standards. I certainly don't dispute that there have been more distasteful chants in Cameron. Speaking only for myself, however, I'm less ashamed and embarrassed when I hear our crowd chanting something that may be distasteful but is at least clever and humorous than I am when they chant something that makes us -- the Duke fan base -- appear to be completely bereft of originality and utterly stupid.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Loving this thread. It makes me feel like I'm not the Lone Ranger after all.

The origin and reason for the "wave welcome" has been lost. It arose at the heels game in Cameron after the Crazies had been gently admonished by the president and asked to start being nice. They all wore sparkly halos and waved and grinned from ear to ear Yelling "HI 'whom ever'!!!" to each player, being delightfully facetious. That's also the evening that "We beg to differ" was opted for instead of the "bull sh*t" chant that had gotten President Sanford's attention. It's the stuff Crazies were made of.

It's unfortunate that so many chants and traditions have lost their meaning and relevance. These days some girl is wagging around that doll for no apparent reason. Originally, it was the second part of the terrific "Oh" sign and "Baby!" pairing that was saved for some incredibly outstanding play. (What a year THIS would be for that one!)

Hauling that doll around pointlessly and yelling "you suck" is just so jr. high.

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit. And apparently wit is a dying art.
Love, Ima

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2018, 10:56 AM
When the Crazies chant "The refs, they suck, they really really suck", does K join in?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2018, 11:09 AM

The origin and reason for the "wave welcome" has been lost. It arose at the heels game in Cameron after the Crazies had been gently admonished by the president and asked to start being nice. They all wore sparkly halos and waved and grinned from ear to ear Yelling "HI 'whom ever'!!!" to each player, being delightfully facetious. That's also the evening that "We beg to differ" was opted for instead of the "bull sh*t" chant that had gotten President Sanford's attention. It's the stuff Crazies were made of.

It's unfortunate that so many chants and traditions have lost their meaning and relevance. These days some girl is wagging around that doll for no apparent reason. Originally, it was the second part of the terrific "Oh" sign and "Baby!" pairing that was saved for some incredibly outstanding play. (What a year THIS would be for that one!)

Hauling that doll around pointlessly and yelling "you suck" is just so jr. high.

Love, Ima

Thanks for the history rundown.....and I remember laughing my *%& off with "we beg to differ." That may be the all time classic cheer, and certainly the all time response to a warning shot.

Bluedog
11-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Wasn't it "roll back prices"?

and Wasn't it tennessee, resulting in pat not wanting to play duke anymore?

Yep, thanks for having better memories than me ! That was it. There was a lot of "roll back prices" chants too. I think it may have been a #1 vs. #2 matchup, or close to it at the time. And maybe it was why Pat didn't wanted to play Duke anymore, I don't know. And I agree with you Wander completely on your second comment.

Reddevil
11-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Love, Ima

THIS ALL THE WAY! ^^^^^

I am not at all immune to using salty language, but besides being sophomoric, sometimes it can ruin something that is better without it.

"Hi So and So" is wonderfully sarcastic. Adding "You suck" eliminates the desired effect. Let the original statement just hang there. It is hilarious left alone.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-29-2018, 11:23 AM
I haven't been to Cameron in a long time. Do they still do "bounce, bounce, pass, bounce, bounce" to mess a guy up when he was dribbling? There was nothing particularly profound about this but on the occasion where a turnover occurred (whether or not the chant had anything to do with it) it was gratifying.

I agree with those who don't like the very generic cheers. As others have said, "over-rated" just minimizes the value of our win. "You suck" sounds too Maryland for me.

Part of the problem now is that I think students used to be much more familiar with opponents. It is now a lot easier to dig up dirt on them via the internet, but back in my day, when the conference was much smaller and there was a home-and-home every year, we knew every guy on all of the ACC teams and all of their business. Now some opponents don't come through every year, there are one-and-dones, lots of transfers, more teams, etc.

Though the flip side of that is that some of the best cheers I recall came against players from random teams, like "You shot the Sheriff"

Now get off my lawn...

BLPOG
11-29-2018, 11:25 AM
I haven't been to Cameron in a long time. Do they still do "bounce, bounce, pass, bounce, bounce" to mess a guy up when he was dribbling? There was nothing particularly profound about this but on the occasion where a turnover occurred (whether or not the chant had anything to do with it) it was gratifying.

I agree with those who don't like the very generic cheers. As others have said, "over-rated" just minimizes the value of our win. "You suck" sounds too Maryland for me.

Part of the problem now is that I think students used to be much more familiar with opponents. It is now a lot easier to dig up dirt on them via the internet, but back in my day, when the conference was much smaller and there was a home-and-home every year, we knew every guy on all of the ACC teams and all of their business. Now some opponents don't come through every year, there are one-and-dones, lots of transfers, more teams, etc.

Though the flip side of that is that some of the best cheers I recall came against players from random teams, like "You shot the Sheriff"

Now get off my lawn...

"Bounce, bounce" was still in play as of a few years ago and I'm pretty sure it still is. It seems to have declined a bit since my time but I haven't been to enough home games lately to give an accurate assessment.

devildeac
11-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Sorry, that chant is at worst a necessary evil, because it set's up my all-time favorite chant as a followup "If you can't go to State be a Ref".

Followed by, "if you can't be a ref, go to hell."

Which is, of course followed by...

fidel
11-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Haha well I’m feeling better after the way we dismantled UNC on the basketball court last night, so I’ll let this slide for the most part ;) But IMHO you don’t rush the field if you’re a top-10 team unless it’s a major extenuating circumstance, right?

Completely agree. In this instance, however, the OSU faithful were expecting a complete shellacking from TTUN. A perfect storm of beating your rival, knocking them out of the playoffs, and suddenly being back in the playoff discussion yourself.

BTW, the university was actually waving the students onto the field when the game ended. So maybe a little ‘made for TV’?

And yes, congrats on the uNC win. Feel free anytime :).

uh_no
11-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Followed by, "if you can't be a ref, go to hell."

Which is, of course followed by...

all the refs walking off the court and heading down the 15-501?

devildeac
11-29-2018, 12:41 PM
all the refs walking off the court and heading down the 15-501?

That's another accurate way to phrase it. :D

tteettimes
11-29-2018, 12:46 PM
Loving revisiting my old Cameron cheers.....thanks to you all
We were there when the Crazies were invented (so-to-speak)
Sitting here laughing reading these....and remembering BEING THERE..
..a memory is a terrible thing to lose
Thanks for the memories

BandAlum83
11-29-2018, 12:50 PM

We used to sing the refrain from that bubble gum pop 60's song: "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!" It had a good beat to shag to, also.

tteettimes
11-29-2018, 12:52 PM
Have you driven a Ford lately——😂😂😂😂😂

BandAlum83
11-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Completely agree. It's like compulsive court-rushing but the other way around. So many teams that are not enormous underdogs have fans rush the court, essentially saying "our team isn't that great."

Wouldn't it be great if this year's team witnesses a total of <zero> court rushes!!

That should be a podcast preseason predictions category.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Have you driven a Ford lately——����������

That one was brilliant. I vaguely recall K not being happy about it, though I don't recall how he expressed his displeasure.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2018, 12:56 PM
someone remind me, what was the "roll back prices" cheer alluding to?

uh_no
11-29-2018, 01:02 PM
someone remind me, what was the "roll back prices" cheer alluding to?

one of the tennesse players was caught shoplifting from walmart, and one of walmarts original marketing campaings was "roll back prices"

The Gordog
11-29-2018, 01:04 PM

So ludicrous, if UMD actually claimed that. Even a non-lawyer like me knows you can limit the time, place, and manner of speech. You want to claim you did JJ's sister, fine, just not in the stadium where it's likely to incite a riot.

BandAlum83
11-29-2018, 01:05 PM

Love, Ima

I also loved the "You are incorrect, sir" chant as well.

75Crazie
11-29-2018, 01:09 PM

Don't get me wrong, as a teenager or early twenty-something it was great fun. And I understand the exuberance of it all.
Does anybody else remember, in the early to mid 70s, the Cameron PA announcer came on just before the start of a State game and made an announcement to the owner of a "red tractor in the upper parking lot" that he left his lights on? Something to that effect, anyway.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Have you driven a Ford lately——����������

OOooooh! forgot that one! It has layered meanings IIRC. But then, we won't go into that here.
Love, Ima

PS Bet you remember "InHale. ExHale", too.

BLPOG
11-29-2018, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't it be great if this year's team witnesses a total of <zero> court rushes!!

That should be a podcast preseason predictions category.

Indeed. It is a shame we play the 'holes in Durham first this year, since we have a decent shot at the regular season title, and Coach considers winning that to be a court-rushable scenario. It would be nice to see one rush every other year.

devildeac
11-29-2018, 01:33 PM

Love, Ima

I dunno. Is ol roy fair game now?

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42739-quot-My-coaching-sucks-quot-%97Roy-Williams

Kidding. Mostly. :rolleyes::o

Tripping William
11-29-2018, 01:35 PM
That one was brilliant. I vaguely recall K not being happy about it, though I don't recall how he expressed his displeasure.

I was at this game. It was the 1996 regular season finale against Those Guys. The sign was stylized to include the Ford (automobile) logo. It was the same game in which Jay Heaps hip-checked Jeff McInnis into the sideline press-row area, causing McInnis to get very angry, pick up a second T, and get tossed. The Crazies serenaded him with a two-syllable word that would get wankerized here, but rhymes with "grass-roll." Dean complained about it post-game, and K basically said, "Meh. All they did was accurately describe McInnis." I do not recall K having an issue with the sign, but I'm also not omnipresent.

Another one I attended was the 2004 ACC/Big Ten Challenge game against Sparty on November 30, 2004. If I recall the details correctly (someone help me; it has been 14 years), Michigan State center Paul Davis had recently had some, shall we say, "relationship issues." I believe it came out that his ex-girlfriend was trying to reach him by phone following their breakup, but to no avail. The Crazies learned of it, and when Davis went to the foul line, chanted, "Call her back! Call her back!" [Someone please tell me I'm not making this up. . . . .]

SorryForHot
11-29-2018, 01:42 PM
rofl

Lar77
11-29-2018, 01:52 PM
rofl

Now that's good (and irrefutably accurate)

Sir Stealth
11-29-2018, 02:28 PM
The frustrating thing about yelling "you suck" during the player introductions is that it's actually copying Maryland's degradation of what the Crazies used to do. As others have pointed out, the "Hi [player]" was supposed to be ironically polite after the Crazies were admonished for being too mean. It's long been typical for things done by the Crazies to be influential as other student sections have sought to organize themselves into active crowds (I recall various staples such as "boing, boing, pass" etc being proposed before games back in the late 90s in high school, clearly seeking to emulate the Crazies). Maryland's thing was to take everything college fans do and up the vulgarity as much as possible, which included adding "you suck" to the polite introductions started by the Crazies and also to the rock and roll part 2 "Hey!" pep band chant. That this has now bled back into Cameron is embarrassing regardless of whether one finds it independently offensive/uncreative.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2018, 02:37 PM
"Inhale. . . .Exhale . . . ."

jimsumner
11-29-2018, 03:06 PM
For those who weren't around in the 1970s and 1980s.

http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/article/uncle-terry-saves-the-day

devildeac
11-29-2018, 03:07 PM
"Inhale. . . .Exhale . . . ."

Our younger daughter went to medical school with (one of) his daughter/s and shared that story with her and they both had a good chuckle about it.

zippy_the_cat
11-29-2018, 03:16 PM
During the mid-90's we once chanted "overrated" at Tim Duncan, who was having a subpar game. Tim apparently heard us and took over the last 8 or so minutes of the game to will Wake to a win in Cameron. Not our finest moment.

Spectacularly ill-judged, on many levels.

devildeac
11-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Spectacularly ill-judged, on many levels.

Merlin fans at JWill: "overrated"
JWill: Gone in 54 seconds
JWill after game: "I hate that cheer" (or something like that)

NSDukeFan
11-29-2018, 04:14 PM

And/or haven’t spent an abundance of time on this site for the last 5+ years.

Skydog
11-29-2018, 04:17 PM
On the question of "where is the line?" that shouldn't be crossed - I don't think it is a fixed line. Instead it is the meanness/cleverness ratio that matters. If it goes over 1 it crosses the line. Examples: "You suck" is maybe a 1 on meanness but it's cleverness=0.001 and so it's mean/clever ratio is way over the line. Chanting "Roll back prices" to a Walmart thief has a cleverness level of 8 and a meanness level of say 6 so the ratio isn't over the line. Now the panties one is tough - meanness=10, cleverness=10, I guess it just passes muster!

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2018, 04:51 PM

Great piece, and timely, and I just had to c/p the money paragraph for those who might not get to the link - this memory made me smile:

“Think of something clever but clean, devastating but decent, mean but wholesome, witty and forceful but G-rated for television, and try it at the next game.” (wrote President Terry Sanford). He concluded the letter with a single sentence: “I hate for us to have the reputation of being stupid.” Duke students demonstrated their new and improved behavior at the next home game, against the University of North Carolina. A group of students attempted to deliver a bouquet to UNC coach Dean Smith, and the crowd, many of who were wearing halos, shouted, “Hi Dean!” in greeting. The referees received a standing ovation when they walked onto the court, and when the fans objected to their calls, they shouted, “We beg to differ” rather than their previous favorite cry, which referred to barnyard droppings. Even the signs in the stands were cleaned up: “Welcome honored guests,” and “Sorry Uncle Terry. The devil made us do it.”

Standing O for the refs? CLASSIC.

BLPOG
11-29-2018, 06:52 PM
"Bounce, bounce" was still in play as of a few years ago and I'm pretty sure it still is. It seems to have declined a bit since my time but I haven't been to enough home games lately to give an accurate assessment.

I just occurred to me that CrazyNotCrazie (and I) referred to this one incorrectly. It isn't "bounce, bounce," but rather "boing (the spring noise), boing, ...pass, shoot, miss!"

This thread is for posterity, so I had to clear that up.

Another simple one that I've always liked, that isn't very clever or funny but is sometimes useful against (non-conference) opponents is the accelerated shot-clock countdown. Making an opponent think he has 2 seconds less than he does can be a big deal, even if it only works one or two times out of ten.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Another simple one that I've always liked, that isn't very clever or funny but is sometimes useful against (non-conference) opponents is the accelerated shot-clock countdown. Making an opponent think he has 2 seconds less than he does can be a big deal, even if it only works one or two times out of ten.

I think it must be unnerving to opponents at least a little bit...even if it doesn't "work" per se - which I assume is a bad shot going up on the phony countdown....they could also try it in reverse....indicating there is MORE time on the clock than there is.

ice-9
11-30-2018, 06:23 AM
Sweat, Gary, sweat! 💦

https://thedailyrecord.com/files/2011/05/gary-williams.jpg

Love that taunt...great memories.

I miss that miserable ol codger.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2018, 07:19 AM
Obligatory:

Spanarkel
11-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Obligatory:

This photo looks to have been taken at a Larry Eustachy-hosted party...

weezie
11-30-2018, 07:49 AM
... codger.

Now there's a word I definitely love.

DukieInKansas
11-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Sometimes the best cheers have no words - rattling keys when Clyde Austin touched the ball comes to mind.

Green shorts is another favorite. It was a "had to be there" cheer and was certainly confusing to opponents.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2018, 09:50 AM
"Oh no, not Lebo!"

"Oh no, not Lebo!"

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2018, 02:59 PM
"Oh no, not Lebo!"

"Oh no, not Lebo!"

Wonder if they ever chanted that at ECU.

DevilYouKnow
11-30-2018, 04:04 PM
I was sitting two rows behind the Krzyzewski women. As soon as the "overrated" chants began to emanate, they were all on their feet, gesturing for the Crazies to knock it off. Clearly, it's a source of concern that the family has discussed.

I'm no prude, but the "You suck!" and "Over-rated" and even the tired old "Aiiiir Baaaaallll" chants just show a lack of imagination.

richardjackson199
11-30-2018, 04:07 PM
I was sitting two rows behind the Krzyzewski women. As soon as the "overrated" chants began to emanate, they were all on their feet, gesturing for the Crazies to knock it off. Clearly, it's a source of concern that the family has discussed.

I'm no prude, but the "You suck!" and "Over-rated" and even the tired old "Aiiiir Baaaaallll" chants just show a lack of imagination.

Agreed. Eliminating You suck and Overrated would be wise. I'm ok with Air Ball but only immediately after opposing player shoots one. Continuing to chant AirBall every time that player touches ball rest of game is very annoying and probably just motivates that player to swish the next one.

duke79
11-30-2018, 04:48 PM

Totally agree here! I've always thought the "you suck" chant is VERY low class. "Over-rated" and "Air Ball" have definitely outlived their novelty.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2018, 05:03 PM
PFFFFFTTT!!!!! "Airball" is awesome. Born in Cameron, and may it continue to live a long life.

IrishDevil
11-30-2018, 05:10 PM
PFFFFFTTT!!!!! "Airball" is awesome. Born in Cameron, and may it continue to live a long life.

Agreed. And while the chant might have little attraction after a shooter drains his next few shots after an airball, I have also seen instances when a persistent airball chant following a player throughout a game seems to result in a shaken player and poorer performance. I don't have the encyclopedic memory that some of you do so as to list particular games in which I saw this, but I remember noting it on more than one occasion.

uh_no
11-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Agreed. And while the chant might have little attraction after a shooter drains his next few shots after an airball, I have also seen instances when a persistent airball chant following a player throughout a game seems to result in a shaken player and poorer performance. I don't have the encyclopedic memory that some of you do so as to list particular games in which I saw this, but I remember noting it on more than one occasion.

Agree.

I'm guessing there is little correlation between the airball chant and a players shooting over the course of the rest of the game. If there is, I'd also guess it's more on the negative side, and less likely to provide a shooter with super-human shooting ability....but that's just a guess.

Keep it raining down on them the whole game.

jjredickrules
11-30-2018, 07:34 PM

The Notre Dame game last year. The crazies DESTROYED the Irish PG with their “AIR-BALL” chant. I don’t recall him recording any stats whatsoever after that shot in the FIRST HALF.

Based on your name I’m sure you recalled that occasion :)

Edouble
12-01-2018, 01:31 AM
I was at this game. It was the 1996 regular season finale against Those Guys. The sign was stylized to include the Ford (automobile) logo. It was the same game in which Jay Heaps hip-checked Jeff McInnis into the sideline press-row area, causing McInnis to get very angry, pick up a second T, and get tossed. The Crazies serenaded him with a two-syllable word that would get wankerized here, but rhymes with "grass-roll." Dean complained about it post-game, and K basically said, "Meh. All they did was accurately describe McInnis." I do not recall K having an issue with the sign, but I'm also not omnipresent.

Another one I attended was the 2004 ACC/Big Ten Challenge game against Sparty on November 30, 2004. If I recall the details correctly (someone help me; it has been 14 years), Michigan State center Paul Davis had recently had some, shall we say, "relationship issues." I believe it came out that his ex-girlfriend was trying to reach him by phone following their breakup, but to no avail. The Crazies learned of it, and when Davis went to the foul line, chanted, "Call her back! Call her back!" [Someone please tell me I'm not making this up. . . . .]

No, that happened. I was there in the stands. I remember the cheer, but didn't understand why the Crazies were saying it.

And I was there for the Heaps game too, as a Crazy.

Steven43
12-01-2018, 03:48 AM

Okay, I agree that “Air Ball” and “You suck” and “Overrated” are tired and boring, but to expect creativity to organically and consistently occur — and then to quickly transfer said creativity to the entire student section — while trying to watch and enjoy a basketball game is really not realistic. Occasionally, sure, but several times throughout each game and then game after game? No, that’s simply asking too much of student-fans, even those who attend Duke.

DU82
12-01-2018, 10:42 AM
No, that happened. I was there in the stands. I remember the cheer, but didn't understand why the Crazies were saying it.

And I was there for the Heaps game too, as a Crazy.

Let’s give credit where credit is due. The Ford sign showed up first at the State-Cheaters game a week or two before. Legend has it that Gray Hahn, radio announcer for the Wolfpack, didn’t know the reference and read it on the air. His color guy, the late Gary Dornberg, quickly said “I’ll explain it later”

Regarding the sign in Cameron, I remember that one of the old time security guys saw it and immediately took it, or told them to drop it and not show it.

BandAlum83
12-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Let’s give credit where credit is due. The Ford sign showed up first at the State-Cheaters game a week or two before. Legend has it that Gray Hahn, radio announcer for the Wolfpack, didn’t know the reference and read it on the air. His color guy, the late Gary Dornberg, quickly said “I’ll explain it later”

Regarding the sign in Cameron, I remember that one of the old time security guys saw it and immediately took it, or told them to drop it and not show it.

Can someone please explain it to me?

Thanks

OldPhiKap
12-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Thanks

(Never mind, corrected)

niveklaen
12-01-2018, 12:44 PM
my two favorite were chanting AARP at andrew gaze and chanting 'get a room' at sam cassel when he was being stretched in compromising ways by a teammate during warm-ups.

(Gaze calmly drained a 3 and then turned to us and said/yelled "I'm not that old" - how an aussi knew what AARP was back before the internet was a thing still baffles me.

OldPhiKap
12-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Gotta love Strve Blake and Johnny Rockets (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/02/13/steve-blake-duke-and-his-johnny-rockets-paper/?utm_term=.2430b7847a9e)

El_Diablo
12-01-2018, 02:42 PM

Thanks

In 1996, practically everyone in North Carolina had heard the gossip that University of North Carolina point guard Jeff McInnis had been sleeping with Phil Ford’s wife. In his book A March to Madness, sportswriter John Feinstein delicately alludes to Duke fans razzing McInnis about “personal animosity between him and assistant coach Phil Ford.” As that year’s NBA draft neared, McInnis broke the official silence when he told the Charlotte Observer that Orlando Magic staffers had quizzed him about the allegations that he was leaving school early due to the fallout from an affair with Ford’s wife. His answer: “Nothing ever happened. She is often hugging players. … The Duke people blew the whole thing up.”

https://slate.com/culture/2004/12/the-biggest-taboo-in-sports.html

BandAlum83
12-07-2018, 04:12 PM
https://slate.com/culture/2004/12/the-biggest-taboo-in-sports.html

Thank YOU, I read March to Madness, but it was way too long ago. I tried to spork you, but, no can do.

devilirium
12-10-2018, 12:46 AM

That happened, and I'm pretty sure that they serenaded Davis with the name of his gf "Sweet Caroline"

devilirium
12-10-2018, 12:55 AM
Gotta love Strve Blake and Johnny Rockets (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/02/13/steve-blake-duke-and-his-johnny-rockets-paper/?utm_term=.2430b7847a9e)

Ty Fought the Law...and the...law won

That one slipped through the K censor--of course, Lawson made us pay for it dearly that nite.

orrnot
12-11-2018, 12:16 AM
I was hoping for “oh no not Yess” last game. Alas.