PDA

View Full Version : Mack is Back

freshmanjs
11-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Interesting choice...he knows the area and can bring some good assistants with him. Probably won't take them to new heights though.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Sources-Mack-Brown-Returning-to-UNC-Football-125364206/

CrazyNotCrazie
11-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Return of the Mack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1D9wWxd2w

I assume this was in the works for a while if they hired him so quickly. I'm not a fan of Mack on TV so at least I won't have to watch him anymore, though there are also plenty of worse people on TV. He has great experience but this is obviously a short term move.

jv001
11-26-2018, 09:31 AM
I've always liked Coach Brown. From his days at App State through his Longhorn days. The ACC will have two southern gentleman roaming the sidelines(Cut & Mack) next season and both elder statesmen.

Personal note; I'll still root against the cheats every game. GoDuke!

devildeac
11-26-2018, 09:33 AM
I hope the cheats get this mack brown:

1988 north c*rolina 1–10 1–6 7th
1989 north c*rolina 1–10 0–7 8th

Not the later mack brown.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-26-2018, 09:37 AM

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifUnfortunately it'll probably be the latter. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif But he and the team can still GO TO HELL! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

OldPhiKap
11-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Mack is a good coach. At 66 years old, though, that's kind of late to be starting a program up from scratch.

As dd indicates, he had a tough first two years after taking over a struggling program. He sure turned it around though.

UNC has upped their game, although to be frank about any hire would fit that description. The Hat was deliciously and uniquely awful.

devildeac
11-26-2018, 09:51 AM

IIRC, 1988 and 1989 prompted the following joke from Duke and/or NCSU fans:

Q: Why did mack brown win the Nobel Prize?

A: For finding a cure for c*rolina fever.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Mack is a good coach. At 66 years old, though, that's kind of late to be starting a program up from scratch.

As dd indicates, he had a tough first two years after taking over a struggling program. He sure turned it around though.

UNC has upped their game, although to be frank about any hire would fit that description. The Hat was deliciously and uniquely awful.

Now the Cheat's coach is older than Dukes......I am much happier about them hiring Mack as opposed to Satterfield. That could have been a 20 year nightmare.......Mack won't stay more than 5 IMO.

AustinDevil
11-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Now the Cheat's coach is older than Dukes...I am much happier about them hiring Mack as opposed to Satterfield. That could have been a 20 year nightmare....Mack won't stay more than 5 IMO.

I agree. And I think both he and UNC are underestimating how hard it is for a coach, at his age, to be away from the day-to-day operations of a program for half a decade and then come back. Never mind that he's been away because he badly underperformed for four straight years at a school that had every conceivable advantage (it's easy to forget what the U.T. name was circa 2009, not far off their natty and before Alabama became what it is today). You do have to acknowledge that he led them to that national championship as well, but I just don't see lots of success on the horizon at "U"NC.

If anything, I suspect this is a money-saving move for them given what they'll have to pay The Hat.

UrinalCake
11-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Wasn’t he famously quoted as saying he would never leave UNC, just days before accepting the Texas position?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-26-2018, 10:14 AM
If anything, I suspect this is a money-saving move for them given what they'll have to pay The Hat.
The whole thing is a disgusting waste of taxpayer dollars. How can they sign guaranteed contracts without performance standards against which they can hold an employee accountable?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Wasn’t he famously quoted as saying he would never leave UNC, just days before accepting the Texas position?
He didn’t give a &#%! about Texas...

cbarry
11-26-2018, 10:16 AM
My UNC friends aren’t happy about the return of the Mack.
He is an average coach at best. As a Duke fan, I’m happy Mack is back, but his voice drives me crazy!

JasonEvans
11-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Colt McCoy ain't walking through that door.

I'm perfectly happy with a 67 year old dude who has not been on the sidelines in 5 years being tasked with breathing new life and excitement into the Carolina program.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-26-2018, 10:18 AM
The whole thing is a disgusting waste of taxpayer dollars. How can they sign guaranteed contracts without performance standards against which they can hold an employee accountable?

Because no other schools do that so if they want to be competitive in the market to hire a coach, that is not an option. I'm sure there are standard clauses where they don't have to pay if the coach breaks the law or something like that, but bad coaching does not excuse them. The market for college football coaches has gotten completely out of control. And one can argue that over the course of his time at UNC, Fedora's performance was not that awful - it is just the end. From what I read, they were smart enough to include some form of offset language where if Fedora gets a new job as a coach or working on TV, that salary would be deducted from his severance payment.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-26-2018, 10:21 AM
$12 million in hush money...

TKG
11-26-2018, 10:34 AM
I am sure that Bubba, Mack and the Rams Club will do what ever is necessary................

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-26-2018, 10:38 AM
I am sure that Bubba, Mack and the Rams Club will do what ever is necessary....
Mack was there as the cheating began and spread from basketball to football... hmmmmm

dukelifer
11-26-2018, 10:39 AM

I'm perfectly happy with a 67 year old dude who has not been on the sidelines in 5 years being tasked with breathing new life and excitement into the Carolina program.

Amazing that he feels he can muster the energy to start the recruiting process again. UNC will likely pay a ton for assistant coaches who will likely do the heavy lifting.

devildeac
11-26-2018, 10:55 AM
Mack was there as the cheating began and spread from basketball to football... hmmmmm

dean knew

roy knew...

luvdahops
11-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Amazing that he feels he can muster the energy to start the recruiting process again. UNC will likely pay a ton for assistant coaches who will likely do the heavy lifting.

The history of these sorts of "second acts", i.e. a coach who previously took a program to great heights returning, is mixed at best. Think John Robinson, Bill Snyder and (ahem) Bobby Petrino. Suggests that the program will improve under Mack (not a high bar), but won't get back to its mid 90s peak.

hudlow
11-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Once is not enough, recycle.

brevity
11-26-2018, 11:11 AM

I misread this as "excrement" and it still made sense. Not embarrassed by my error.

Can we rename the thread? I prefer CrazyNotCrazie's title (and YouTube link to) "Return of the Mack" because any song with the refrain "You lied to me" is worth remembering:

Once is not enough, recycle.

Can you find an image of a blue recycling dumpster set afire?

hudlow
11-26-2018, 11:14 AM
Can you find an image of a blue recycling dumpster set afire?

I'm waiting on tomorrow's paper.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Ah hahahahaahahha....

75Crazie
11-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Can we rename the thread? I prefer CrazyNotCrazie's title (and YouTube link to) "Return of the Mack" because any song with the refrain "You lied to me" is worth remembering
Mack the Strife? (pretty lame)

UrinalCake
11-26-2018, 12:00 PM
From the timing of things, it feels like they had this planned prior to firing Fedora and did not even consider any other candidates. Which would be absurd if true. I’m pretty happy with this hire, it’s comparable to the Bill Guthridge hire in the sense that there is no long term future, they had no better options, and it reeks of nepotism.

PackMan97
11-26-2018, 12:16 PM

rocketeli
11-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Because no other schools do that so if they want to be competitive in the market to hire a coach, that is not an option. I'm sure there are standard clauses where they don't have to pay if the coach breaks the law or something like that, but bad coaching does not excuse them. The market for college football coaches has gotten completely out of control. And one can argue that over the course of his time at UNC, Fedora's performance was not that awful - it is just the end. From what I read, they were smart enough to include some form of offset language where if Fedora gets a new job as a coach or working on TV, that salary would be deducted from his severance payment.

I think many coaches are such egoists, taking credit for things that might be more luck, or players, or assistant work, that they would be willing to sign incentivized contracts, like "You get 2 million a year, if the year before you went 10-2 and 1.5 if you went 8-3 and so on. That would sure help minimize the risk of giving someone a long term expensive contract on the basis of one good year.
Some might scoff at this idea, but I remember how crazy everyone thought I was about 15 years ago, for suggesting a college football playoff that rotated among the major bowls...so who knows?

UrinalCake
11-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Here’s an entertaining take:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/11/26/18112440/unc-makes-the-worst-hire-in-the-history-of-college-football-bringing-mack-brown-to-chapel-hill

My favorite quote:

“What UNC’s athletic director Bubba Cunningham is doing this morning is digging the grave that Texas has spent the last ten years trying to climb out.”

HereBeforeCoachK
11-26-2018, 03:52 PM
From the timing of things, it feels like they had this planned prior to firing Fedora and did not even consider any other candidates. Which would be absurd if true. I’m pretty happy with this hire, it’s comparable to the Bill Guthridge hire in the sense that there is no long term future, they had no better options, and it reeks of nepotism.

Oh I think you're right about all of that....because you don't get a coach out of retirement on a quick whim. Multiple weeks in the works I would say. Then again, WRAL and ESPN will only say "reports" have him back....no confirmation. Is this big false flag?

moonpie23
11-26-2018, 04:21 PM
sooooo, maybe not a done deal......

devildeac
11-26-2018, 04:59 PM
#gofundmebringbackmack

NCSU and Duke fans on board with this one?

:rolleyes:

SamHouston
11-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Mack is a perfect for UNC. It is perfect storm of bureaucrats, boosters, and b players. Bubba Cunningham and Mack Brown are mere tools of the Rams Club.

BD80
11-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Mack is a perfect for UNC. It is perfect storm of bureaucrats, boosters, and b players. Bubba Cunningham and Mack Brown are mere tools of the Rams Club.

Can a bag fall under the definition of "tool?:

HereBeforeCoachK
11-26-2018, 08:39 PM

...wonder if the Ravenscroft billionaire who got Davis hired is still pulling the strings over there....

grit74
11-26-2018, 10:33 PM
The Cheaters are marrying their ex-wife, but she is not the hot 45yo they cried for when she left them.

Mack never read Thomas Wolfe.

duke2x
11-26-2018, 11:48 PM
I’m pretty happy with this hire, it’s comparable to the Bill Guthridge hire in the sense that there is no long term future, they had no better options, and it reeks of nepotism.

With Fedora and their schedule, I felt UNC could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 35+ PPG. They didn't quit on him but were an awfully constructed football team. With Mack and an all-star list of assistants, I think they could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 34+ PPG. The thought has to be that Mack can recruit enough of a normal football team in 2-3 years to attract Satterfield home to Orange County once he can move his family. He might be the only person that can temporarily push them above their peers like IL, KS, and IN on the field. We need to hope Satterfield gets an offer from a real football program in the interim.

PackMan97
11-27-2018, 12:03 AM
With Fedora and their schedule, I felt UNC could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 35+ PPG. They didn't quit on him but were an awfully constructed football team. With Mack and an all-star list of assistants, I think they could get 3-4 wins next year, score 30+ PPG, and give up 34+ PPG. The thought has to be that Mack can recruit enough of a normal football team in 2-3 years to attract Satterfield home to Orange County once he can move his family. He might be the only person that can temporarily push them above their peers like IL, KS, and IN on the field. We need to hope Satterfield gets an offer from a real football program in the interim.
https://twitter.com/statefansnation/status/1067188141507964929

@statefansnation
Mack Brown at UNC
88 / 1-10
89 / 1-10
90 / 6-4
91 / 7-4
92 / 9-3
97 / 11-1

AFAM. Born in 1992.

------------------

Don't forget one of his last recruits, Julius Peppers took a 400 level english course before ever setting foot on campus. Carolina didn't get that good by following the rules.

BigWayne
11-27-2018, 02:54 AM
A bunch of the articles on this keep pointing out that Mack needs 4 wins at UNC to become their all time leader. I sincerely wish he achieves that goal...11/19/2022, against ETSU.

arnie
11-27-2018, 06:53 AM

N&O, Luke Decock has already said 8 wins next year is achievable even if the coach is Charley Brown. My guess up is they will predict a Coastal Division title for the Cheats.

OldPhiKap
11-27-2018, 07:15 AM
N&O, Luke Decock has already said 8 wins next year is achievable even if the coach is Charley Brown. My guess up is they will predict a Coastal Division title for the Cheats.

The rings have already been ordered.

However, the “I survived Larry Fedora” t-shirts are not selling as quickly as first thought.

ChrisP
11-27-2018, 07:23 AM
My memory could be off about this but...weren't Carolina fans pretty P.O.' ed at 'Ol Mack when he dumped them for UT just after making them relevant again? I'm from NC and recall a fair amount of animosity toward him back in the day. And, as others have pointed out, rampant academic fraud (cheating) started while Brown was there. Plus, the very idea that someone like Julius Peppers belonged at a school that purports to be rigorous academically is a joke. Just goes to show that they really do have no shame in Chapel Hill. 9F!

HereBeforeCoachK
11-27-2018, 08:00 AM
My memory could be off about this but...weren't Carolina fans pretty P.O.' ed at 'Ol Mack when he dumped them for UT just after making them relevant again? I'm from NC and recall a fair amount of animosity toward him back in the day. And, as others have pointed out, rampant academic fraud (cheating) started while Brown was there. Plus, the very idea that someone like Julius Peppers belonged at a school that purports to be rigorous academically is a joke. Just goes to show that they really do have no shame in Chapel Hill. 9F!

No your memory is on the money about the cheats fans when Mack left. David Glenn went on and on about just that yesterday.

devildeac
11-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Words fail me:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/orange-county-news/brown-was-found-at-unc-s-old-well-but-it-wasn-t-mack/1621779813

I'll omit the photo-you'll have to click on the link yourself-if you dare.

Pretty crass deed that goes way beyond the pale.

:eek::eek:

OldPhiKap
11-27-2018, 10:03 AM
Words fail me:

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/orange-county-news/brown-was-found-at-unc-s-old-well-but-it-wasn-t-mack/1621779813

I blame Silent Sam.

PackMan97
11-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Just someone getting a head start on UNC's summer reading program this year.

"The Origin of Feces: What Excrement Tells Us About Evolution, Ecology, and a Sustainable Society by David Waltner-Toews"
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-origin-of-feces-david-waltner-toews/1113730505

JasonEvans
11-27-2018, 10:17 AM
...wonder if the Ravenscroft billionaire who got Davis hired is still pulling the strings over there...

Hey, Cho Chang and Luna Lovegood were both in Ravenclaw.

Wait... nevermind.

BLPOG
11-27-2018, 10:49 AM
https://twitter.com/statefansnation/status/1067188141507964929

@statefansnation
Mack Brown at UNC
88 / 1-10
89 / 1-10
90 / 6-4
91 / 7-4
92 / 9-3
97 / 11-1

AFAM. Born in 1992.

------------------

Don't forget one of his last recruits, Julius Peppers took a 400 level english course before ever setting foot on campus. Carolina didn't get that good by following the rules.

In fairness to Brown, IIRC the fraud numbers were low as a percentage of the football players (total numbers comparable to basketball players) while he was there. The academic cheating really took off in football after he left. Of course, maybe that just means he was "wise" enough to keep things discreet by limiting the number of players involved.

The point is, what success he had he likely achieved without the full advantages had by the mid-00s coaches.

WV_Iron_Duke
11-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Pretty good column in The Washington Post by Barry Svrluga about the Mack Brown hiring.

arnie
11-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Words fail me:

Ozzie do this?

UrinalCake
11-27-2018, 12:47 PM

devildeac
11-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Ozzie do this?

I sit pretty close to him on Mt. Hatemore and know him pretty well but I'll still check, thinking it'd be highly unlikely even Ozzie would perform such a foul deed.:o

BD80
11-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Words fail me:

Who dropped a unc diploma in the old well? Oh well.

hudlow
11-27-2018, 01:22 PM
The Old Bidet...

A-Tex Devil
11-27-2018, 03:10 PM
It will be interesting. Make no mistake, Mack Brown is no longer an X's and O's guy at any sort of granular level. Sure he'll decide between 1 and 2 pts and whether to go for it on 4th, but he will likely hire coordinators that will have full control of his offense (I am hearing Kliff Kingsbury and Gene Chizik could both be in the works).

In addition to Kingsbury, a recruiting whiz like David Beatty could be in play. I assume he is going to build a very good coaching staff. But I can't imagine Mack is going to be "killing himself on the recruiting trail" as he claimed while he was exiting Texas (narrator: he wasn't). So his hires are going to have to be the ones putting in the hours.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-27-2018, 03:27 PM
It will be interesting. Make no mistake, Mack Brown is no longer an X's and O's guy at any sort of granular level. Sure he'll decide between 1 and 2 pts and whether to go for it on 4th, but he will likely hire coordinators that will have full control of his offense (I am hearing Kliff Kingsbury and Gene Chizik could both be in the works).

Good Lord, two natty winners on the same staff? Plus a recognized offensive guru and ladykiller? That's some payroll for empty seats in Kenan......

chris13
11-27-2018, 04:46 PM

In addition to Kingsbury, a recruiting whiz like David Beatty could be in play. I assume he is going to build a very good coaching staff. But I can't imagine Mack is going to be "killing himself on the recruiting trail" as he claimed while he was exiting Texas (narrator: he wasn't). So his hires are going to have to be the ones putting in the hours.

A-Tex, I was hoping you would weigh in. Did Mack put in less effort towards the end at Texas. As a UNC fan, I am both intrigued by Mack's record in his previous stint in Chapel Hill and somewhat concerned that he isn't up to the task at hand. I have to imagine he'll win more games next year than Fedora did the last two combined (5).

Tripping William
11-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Good Lord, two natty winners on the same staff? Plus a recognized offensive guru and ladykiller? That's some payroll for empty seats in Kenan...

Next is hiring Frank Beamer to coach the special teams. I heard some announcer say one time that Beamer personally coached the special teams at VaTech ..... :rolleyes:

A-Tex Devil
11-27-2018, 06:26 PM
A-Tex, I was hoping you would weigh in. Did Mack put in less effort towards the end at Texas. As a UNC fan, I am both intrigued by Mack's record in his previous stint in Chapel Hill and somewhat concerned that he isn't up to the task at hand. I have to imagine he'll win more games next year than Fedora did the last two combined (5).

Mack made a habit of locking up his recruiting class as juniors, which was a somewhat groundbreaking tactic at the time (early to mid aughts), and generated some stellar classes (the VY class may be a top 3 class of all time). But then, I think, this tactic made him lazy in recruiting. He would only give offers if he was certain he was going to get a commitment, and this led to a lot of scholarships to guys that peaked in high school (the Texas O-Line draft drought is testament to that). Honestly, it also was less work to recruit, outside the 3 or 4 4-5 stars you knew from outset were going to hold out until signing day. Mack and his staff weren't finding the kids that peak senior year because the class was filled out. They weren't offering a ton of out of state talent because (1) there was an assumption Texas HS football was sufficient (it wasn't, especially at the non-skill positions), and (2) that would lead to offers that weren't committed to, which Mack didn't like.

So in my view, the recruiting tactics that gave Texas an advantage early in Mack's reign created a complacency and laziness near the end. The talent development and the draft results in Mack's last several years bear that out.

I think he'll have a lot of energy early on, but UNC's success under MB will have more to do with who Mack hires than Mack.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-27-2018, 06:38 PM
Mack made a habit of locking up his recruiting class as juniors, which was a somewhat groundbreaking tactic at the time (early to mid aughts), and generated some stellar classes (the VY class may be a top 3 class of all time). But then, I think, this tactic made him lazy in recruiting. He would only give offers if he was certain he was going to get a commitment, and this led to a lot of scholarships to guys that peaked in high school (the Texas O-Line draft drought is testament to that). Honestly, it also was less work to recruit, outside the 3 or 4 4-5 stars you knew from outset were going to hold out until signing day. Mack and his staff weren't finding the kids that peak senior year because the class was filled out. They weren't offering a ton of out of state talent because (1) there was an assumption Texas HS football was sufficient (it wasn't, especially at the non-skill positions), and (2) that would lead to offers that weren't committed to, which Mack didn't like.

So in my view, the recruiting tactics that gave Texas an advantage early in Mack's reign created a complacency and laziness near the end. The talent development and the draft results in Mack's last several years bear that out.

I think he'll have a lot of energy early on, but UNC's success under MB will have more to do with who Mack hires than Mack.

Interesting run down and thanks for the local knowledge.

From where I sit, recruiting to Texas, in any sport, but especially football, should be easy. You can offer what is literally the largest built in fan base of any school, great weather, great city, lots of gorgeous women, and money and facilities out the ying yang. In addition, you have a massive state full of great athletes, and many grew up Longhorn fans by default. A lot of schools have that built in "University of" advantage, but Texas arguably has the biggest of those advantages...given it's a massive state with a lot of pride in the name of Texas to boot.

Texas should pretty much be a power in every sport every year.

A-Tex Devil
11-27-2018, 07:03 PM
Interesting run down and thanks for the local knowledge.

From where I sit, recruiting to Texas, in any sport, but especially football, should be easy. You can offer what is literally the largest built in fan base of any school, great weather, great city, lots of gorgeous women, and money and facilities out the ying yang. In addition, you have a massive state full of great athletes, and many grew up Longhorn fans by default. A lot of schools have that built in "University of" advantage, but Texas arguably has the biggest of those advantages...given it's a massive state with a lot of pride in the name of Texas to boot.

Texas should pretty much be a power in every sport every year.

In football, I think 7 on 7 and the spread has created a talent gap in Texas at the non-skill positions.

Generally speaking, I'll be honest, I think being in Austin and all that comes with it is a distraction in all sports. People get to Texas and stop working. But I also think Texas had ultra-successful coaches lose their way in the end for one reason or another, and they were let go 2-3 years too late. Mack Brown got lazy, Rick Barnes browbeat his players mercilessly (look at Avery Bradley and Myles Turner in the NBA vs. their one year at Texas), Augie (RIP) wouldn't move away from small ball. All three of these guys are in the top two coaches Texas has ever had in these sports. All three failed at the end and put their teams in a hole.

sagegrouse
11-27-2018, 07:46 PM
Pretty good column in The Washington Post by Barry Svrluga about the Mack Brown hiring.

Here's the link (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/north-carolina-set-to-embrace-mack-brown-whom-they-once-were-happy-to-be-rid-of/2018/11/26/f5fe761e-f19a-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.f5d578fd52c8). Svrluga, of course, is a Duke alum.

Message: "know who you are in football; don't fire your coach in an unrealistic move to get better." Examples: Cal, LSU, Maryland.

AtlDuke72
11-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Here's the link (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/north-carolina-set-to-embrace-mack-brown-whom-they-once-were-happy-to-be-rid-of/2018/11/26/f5fe761e-f19a-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html?utm_term=.f5d578fd52c8). Svrluga, of course, is a Duke alum.

Message: "know who you are in football; don't fire your coach in an unrealistic move to get better." Examples: Cal, LSU, Maryland.

Add Tennessee to that list.

75Crazie
11-27-2018, 11:13 PM
Add Tennessee to that list.
There is practically nothing about Vol Nation that is "realistic". I know, because I'm married to a member (who admittedly gets very upset at some of the antics of that nation).

PackMan97
11-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Brown killing it on the recruiting trail!

Three 2019 recruits have decommitted to the Heels since Brown's hiring.
Brendan Harrington
Jerrod Means
Allen Smith

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-28-2018, 06:54 PM

Brendan Harrington
Jerrod Means
Allen Smith
2-9 helps, too.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-28-2018, 07:32 PM

Brendan Harrington
Jerrod Means
Allen Smith

Was that since Fedora was fired, or since Brown was hired.......my guess is they wanted the hat, and are not necessarily fleeing Mack.

Stray Gator
11-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Was that since Fedora was fired, or since Brown was hired...my guess is they wanted the hat, and are not necessarily fleeing Mack.

It's not uncommon to see a few kids decommit and "open up their recruitment" immediately following the announcement of a coaching change. Sometimes, of course, those recruits end up switching to other programs. In many cases, however, the prospect just wants to be "re-recruited" by the new staff -- usually to make sure that any prior understanding about the player's anticipated role and development schedule remains unchanged, and that the mutual attraction is still strong -- and ultimately we see a number of these kids re-commit to the same school.

JasonEvans
11-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Brendan Harrington
Jerrod Means
Allen Smith

Harrington is a safety who is not all that highly regarded. He largely only got smaller college offers (App State, Army, Charlotte) aside from the Heels.The only other P5 team to offer him was Syracuse.

WR Means is about the same. Most of his offers are from smaller schools, but he did have offers from Tennessee, Virginia, and Rutgers.

LB Smith is better recruit, a guy who probably would not play much his first couple years on campus but would be expected to be a fairly significant contributor down the line. He had committed to UNC back in April, fairly early in the cycle, so he did not have as many offers from the big boys, but he already had picked up offers from Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Louisville, and Oregon.

-Jason "none of these guys were connected to Duke at all" Evans

PackMan97
11-29-2018, 10:56 AM
Coleman Reich has also decommitted.
(https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Coleman-Reich-De-Commits-from-UNC-Football-125552715/)

Is Mack Brown cutting Fedora's worst recruits to make room for all the 5* players he's going to land?

SamHouston
12-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Typical UNC: Front Man (Mack), Sales Man (Generic Recruiters X, Y, Z), Law Man (Third Party Lawyers), Ad Man (Third Party PR)

Where are the coaches and players, again?

JasonEvans
12-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Coleman Reich has also decommitted.
(https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Coleman-Reich-De-Commits-from-UNC-Football-125552715/)

Is Mack Brown cutting Fedora's worst recruits to make room for all the 5* players he's going to land?

Duke had apparently at least kicked the tires on Reich. Will be interesting to see if we get involved again on this speedy 3-star safety.

jimsumner
12-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind that back in the good ole days, a new coach had until February to poach some recruits. But with the new signing date, most of the top talent will be off the board in a couple of weeks.

And the guys who are de-committing are looking at a universe where most teams have allocated most of their scholarships.