PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Indiana (Tue, Nov 27, 930pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Next play.

Duke hosts Indiana for their matchup in the ACC-Big 10/11/12/whatever. Indiana just crushed #24 Marquette, but then turned around and lost to Arkansas. Not sure what we're going to get on Tuesday...

dukelifer
11-22-2018, 10:10 AM
Next play.

Duke hosts Indiana for their matchup in the ACC-Big 10/11/12/whatever. Indiana just crushed #24 Marquette, but then turned around and lost to Arkansas. Not sure what we're going to get on Tuesday...

Likely their best shot

OldPhiKap
11-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Indiana University began as the “State Seminary” in the 1820’s. The first professor was Baynard Rush Hall, a Presbyterian minister who taught all of the classes in 1825–27. In the first year, he taught twelve students and was paid $250. From 1820 to 1889 a legal-political battle was fought between the school and Vincennes University as to which was the legitimate state university. Learn a little, fight a little I guess. It’s motto (translated) is “Light and Truth.” Notable alums include Hoagy Carmichael and Mark Cuban.

The origin of the nickname “Hoosier” is much-debated but has been used to describe Indiana residents since at least the 1830’s. For home games, during the third time-out of every second half, the Indiana Big Red Basketball Band performs the William Tell Overture with cheerleaders racing around the court carrying myriad flags that spell out "Indiana Hoosiers." K was an assistant coach under Knight for the ‘74-‘75 season after his discharge from the service, leaving the next year to start as head coach of Army.

Duke defeated the Indiana football team in the 2015 Pinstripe Bowl (44-41, OT) to earn Duke’s first bowl victory since the Cotton Bowl on January 2, 1961 (7-6 over Arkansas).

We all know the great tradition of IU basketball, including five national championships and the last undefeated team. The last two decades have been tough, though, making only one Elite Eight (2002, advancing to the championship game before falling to the Twerps) and four Sweet Sixteens (2002, 2012, 2013, 2016). Since Bob Knight left the school in 2000, a series of coaches (Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, Dan Dakich, Tom Crean and now Archie Miller) have tried to get them back to glory. They sit at 4-1 and play again Friday before heading to Durham. They have three players averaging double digit scoring:

Romeo Langford (6’6” G, Fr.) 18.2 PPG, 6 RPG, 2.8 APG
Juwan Morgan (6’8” F, Sr) 14.8 PPG, 8.8 RPG
Justin Smith (6’7” F, Soph) 10.0 PPG

They are just outside the AP Top 25 (#27).

AFAIK, Bloomington is devoid of dog infestations and seriously lacking in Aztecs. The high temperature there is forecast to be 31 degrees on game day.

Let’s give a warm Southern welcome to our frozen friends from Indiana University!

wavedukefan70s
11-22-2018, 10:48 AM
I suspect we will see a very determined and focused Duke squad .We will see a solid defensive effort .
Our freshman learned a lesson against the Zags.
I give Indiana 0 chance.

Kedsy
11-22-2018, 12:19 PM
AFAIK, Bloomington is devoid of dog infestations and seriously lacking in Aztecs.

What about Visigoths?

Tripping William
11-22-2018, 12:38 PM
What about Visigoths?

And is IU “normal” or “abnormal”? Inquiring minds (or is it “enquring minds”?) want to know .... :o

OldPhiKap
11-22-2018, 01:01 PM
And is IU “normal” or “abnormal”? Inquiring minds (or is it “enquring minds”?) want to know ... :o

Duh, if you’re learning you are acquiring knowledge. So it is obviously “acquiring” minds.

For those interested, the IU game tomorrow against UC Davis is at 7pm on Big #? Network. I don’t get that, but if anyone sees the game (or has seen them play) I would love to hear about it.

I’ve never met a Visigoth, although once dated a Goth girl named Vickie. She did not like being called a Vickie Goth though. Ah, Depeche Mode . . . .

Reilly
11-22-2018, 09:16 PM
... Notable alums include Hoagy Carmichael and Mark Cuban ...

And the daughter of the GT football coach: https://www.kaitlynjohnsonsoprano.com/media

BandAlum83
11-22-2018, 09:43 PM
I'm guessing we will be seeing the #3 team in the nation go to 6-1 on the season after an 18 point win.

proelitedota
11-22-2018, 10:04 PM
I think we'll play rusty and unfocused in the first half before waking up in late first half or beginning second half.

Or we start blazing hot and then let them back into the game.

BigZ
11-22-2018, 10:25 PM
I wish Maryland would play Duke. I miss those games

OldPhiKap
11-22-2018, 10:29 PM
I wish Maryland would play Duke. I miss those games

Been hitting the romaine?

ChillinDuke
11-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Been hitting the romaine?

Hahaha this is so funny but I'm not allowed to spork anyone anymore.

Or so it seems.

Feel like I haven't been allowed to spork for months.

I've been spreading them but it keeps asking me to spread more.

I spread already! Do you hear?! I spread!!!

- Chillin

devildeac
11-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Or so it seems.

- Chillin

Is your name Skippy?

:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
11-23-2018, 07:20 AM
“Heels looked good.”

“I wished we still played Maryland.”

“I miss Lenny Wirtz.”

“The sermon was good, but I wish it had been much longer.”

“No turkey for me, thanks, I’ve gone vegan“

“I know Duke is playing, but I really want to see if there is buried treasure on Oak Island.”

————-
“I’ll take ‘things I would never say without deadpan irony for $500,’ Alex”

Rich
11-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Or we start blazing hot and then let them back into the game.

On a serious note, and I know we've seen it in previous Duke teams, and it's still early in the season, but this team doesn't strike me as having this characteristic. I don't see them as taking their foot off the gas pedal. Seems they have a killer instinct lacking in some previous iterations. (Enough cliches for you?)

UrinalCake
11-23-2018, 11:05 AM
Likely their best shot

Yep, this game is their opportunity to stake their claim as a legit top-25 program. Archie Miller would like nothing more than to break our ridiculous non-conference home winning streak, which last I checked was at something like 130 games and counting. Last year's matchup in Bloomington was closer than the final score would indicate, they either tied it or came within a bucket within the final few minutes. I remember Bolden sparking a run by diving on a loose ball to save a possession, so let's hope he can keep his excellent play going and that the Auburn game wasn't a one-time thing.

Great matchup with Jones/Barrett against Romeo Langford who I'm sure will be looking to show out in front of our freshmen studs.

luburch
11-23-2018, 01:16 PM
Indiana is extremely beat up at the moment.

Romeo Langford - broken nose
Devonte Green - bruised thigh, missed last two games
Zach McRoberts - lower back problem, missed last two games
Al Durham - suffered a hard fall and missed the second half of the last game
Race Thompson - concussion symptoms, missed 4 games this season
Jerome Hunter - lower leg injury, missed all games

Langford will likely play through the nose injury. He's off to a solid start to the season. He's been able to consistently connect from 3, but he was always a streaky shooter in high school.

Juwan Morgan is an All-B1G player. Crafty in the post, can knock down the 3, good passer for his size. Not athletic.

Robert Phinisee is already a fan favorite in Bloomington. He'll be a fantastic program point guard. Brilliant on-ball defender, finishes well in the lane, has good size, and is a capable shooter.

Those are the three players who could give Duke the most trouble. Justin Smith has a ton of talent, but is still trying to put it all together. Evan Fitzner is a grad transfer big who loves to shoot.

If IU can get healthy bu Tuesday, they might have a chance to keep it close. If they don't....

OldPhiKap
11-26-2018, 09:13 AM
Bump. Football season is over (for a month, at least) -- time to turn to hoops.

BD80
11-26-2018, 10:28 AM
And is IU “normal” or “abnormal”? Inquiring minds (or is it “enquring minds”?) want to know ... :o

If you demand an answer, but refuse to accept it, must be "requiring mind wants to no."

brevity
11-27-2018, 01:39 AM
Indiana is extremely beat up at the moment.

Billy Dat
11-27-2018, 09:33 AM
It's a bummer that Indiana is banged up, but they are ranked 21 on KenPom so I assume they will still present a formidable challenge. Coming off Maui, here are the things I am looking for:

-Is RJ working on his inefficiency?
RJ's late hero ball was a huge headline coming off the Gonzaga game as it was a perfect emblem of his relative inefficiency. The stat I have heard quoted over and over again is that, on the season, RJ has missed as many shots as Zion has taken. Our offense has its best chance to be lethal if the ball doesn't stick and moves until it finds the best match-up/shot. I don't want RJ to lose any of his confidence, but I do want him to trust his teammates. I recall the famous Michael Jordan anecdote of him making that pass to John Paxson in the deciding game of the 1991 finals and, once Phil Jackson saw his willingness to give up control, he knew the team was golden. I want to see if RJ has a similar moment.

-Which Cam Reddish?
Can he put together a complete game? I heard a stat, that I have not verified but it sounds right, that Cam has not played double-digit minutes in both halves of a Duke game this year. Some of that is because we have blown teams out, but some of it is because he's gotten into foul trouble. Against Gonzaga, K felt that Jack and Javin were better for most of the second half. Is it focus? Is it drive? Who knows.

-Tre Pebbles
I heard this knickname from Duke podcaster/tweeter Adam Comarow (@ComarowsCorner) as a tribute to Tre being a chip off the old Tyus Stones block. My primary positive takeaway from Maui was that Tre is the on-court leader of the team and I want to see if he can continue to grow in this role. I already have complete faith in this dude.

-Release the Kraken!
Or maybe I should call him, the Zaken! Zion needs more touches...bottom line. When he is actively involved in the offense, very good things happen.

-Bolden, White, Javin defensive versatility
As amazing as Bolden was against Auburn, he was lost against Gonzaga and it took K a pretty long time to figure it out. Teams that run heavy pick and roll/ball screen attacks where our 5 has to guard bigs who can shoot 3s are basically a no-no for Marquese. So, I really think we have a situation where our 3 juniors are legit starters BUT the line-up will change based on the opponent and that last starting spot will be driven by the match-up without guys getting territorial about who starts. I'd like to see that happen.

-Live ball turnovers
We need to create them to be as good as we can be...I want more of them!

GGLC
11-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Or so it seems.

- Chillin

Funnily enough, I'm not allowed to spork this post

OldPhiKap
11-27-2018, 09:38 AM
Funnily enough, I'm not allowed to spork this post

"When Sporking goes Meta"

phaedrus
11-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Zach McRoberts - lower back problem, missed last two games

Bad genes.

BandAlum83
11-27-2018, 02:41 PM
I hope to see us come out aggressive and not as worried about foul trouble.

I think that concern cost us against Gonzaga. We had no foul trouble, but also no defense in the first half.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-27-2018, 03:33 PM
Poor guy coughed all the way through this interview (not sure when it was taped):
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/18022110/

OldPhiKap
11-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Poor guy coughed all the way through this interview (not sure when it was taped):
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/18022110/

Was he wearing a boot?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Was he wearing a boot?

I was afraid to ask........:D

chrishoke
11-27-2018, 04:46 PM
Why the hell was Barrett speaking at that press conference - the kid had a terrible cough - that was ridiculous.

jamos14
11-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Why the hell was Barrett speaking at that press conference - the kid had a terrible cough - that was ridiculous.

Yes, it appeared he had a pretty nasty cold. Eyes glassy, the sniffles, and a cough. It's that team of year, I guess.

devildeac
11-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Was he wearing a boot?

I was afraid to ask...:D

Throat boot:

weezie
11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
WAY TOO MUCH RED IN THIS HOUSE TONIGHT! Like heck the ID office is controlling resales.

-jk
11-27-2018, 08:49 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

-jk
11-27-2018, 08:55 PM
WAY TOO MUCH RED IN THIS HOUSE TONIGHT! Like heck the ID office is controlling resales.

My younger brother flew in from Chicago with several of them...

-jk

DU82
11-27-2018, 08:57 PM

It’s a bucket list item for them, so they’re in the house early to take the tour of the place.

And we hope they leave early, too.

weezie
11-27-2018, 09:11 PM
It's enjoyable watching their asst coaches try not to gawk, I'll admit.

DU82
11-27-2018, 09:17 PM
If somebody from Duke Athletics operations staff is reading, TURN DOWN THE PA SOUND!

subzero02
11-27-2018, 09:48 PM
since MSU/Ville went to overtime, I decided to watch the above the rim view on the watchESPN app. There is no commentary but the camera angles are quite interesting. You can get a feel for our length in the full court press and you can really feel the crowd. it is not good for watching halfocurt offense though. definitely worth checking out.

kako
11-27-2018, 09:49 PM
since MSU/Ville went to overtime, I decided to watch the above the rim view on the watchESPN app. There is no commentary but the camera angles are quite interesting. You can get a feel for our length in the full court press and you can really feel the crowd. it is not good for watching halfocurt offense though. definitely worth checking out though

I'm watching the Spanish feed on the app... wish it was more like soccer... "GOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLLL" when Zion dunked!

kako
11-27-2018, 09:50 PM
I'm watching the Spanish feed on the app... wish it was more like soccer... "GOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLLL" when Zion dunked!

Ah, it's on ESPN News now.

subzero02
11-27-2018, 09:54 PM

A traditional feed is now available via the app(espnews)... If Bilas gets annoying I'm going back to the above the rim view.

kako
11-27-2018, 09:58 PM
I think it's really good that K is giving Goldwire real minutes. If Jones gets in foul trouble or gets injured, Duke will need a traditional PG at least some of the time.

fuse
11-27-2018, 09:59 PM
Ok, late to the party...apologies for my poor sense of humour.

Muy Bueno, Duke!

We finally made it- Duke basketball is on “The Ocho”!!!!!

kako
11-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Yeah, Duke is up. But a lot of it seemed to be caused by IU's bad turnovers. They should be up more because of the missed FTs. Jones also has 2 fouls. He will need to play smart.

wavedukefan70s
11-27-2018, 10:24 PM
A traditional feed is now available via the app(espnews)... If Bilas gets annoying I'm going back to the above the rim view.

That was a nice view .

fuse
11-27-2018, 10:31 PM
Zion is so good 1:1, its both unfair and such a joy to watch.

kako
11-27-2018, 10:31 PM
Duke really got it together the last 5 minutes. Defense looked better, forcing turns. Shot selection seemed smart. Easy buckets. IU looks like toast.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Yeah, Duke is up. But a lot of it seemed to be caused by IU's bad turnovers. They should be up more because of the missed FTs. Jones also has 2 fouls. He will need to play smart.

Do you not give Duke's defense some credit for a few of those turnovers? Has felt like a very dominant performance so far. The fact that if Duke hit free throws they would be up by 30 doesn't change that.

The team looks focused.

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 10:36 PM
Duke really got it together the last 5 minutes. Defense looked better, forcing turns. Shot selection seemed smart. Easy buckets. IU looks like toast.

They've been looking better with Reddish on the bench!

kako
11-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Do you not give Duke's defense some credit for a few of those turnovers? Has felt like a very dominant performance so far. The fact that if Duke hit free throws they would be up by 30 doesn't change that.

The team looks focused.

No, Duke certainly forced some of them. But IU was bleeding turns, many unforced. The stage just seems too big for the Hoosiers, but Duke was up about only 12 when I wrote that. But then late in the half, Duke seemed to click everywhere and dominated on D and O.

kako
11-27-2018, 10:42 PM
Just checked, IU has 13 turns already. If they don't clean that up, this game could get really, really ugly for them. Not that I'd mind, but I kind of expected a better game. This one seems like we are playing a low-major.

DU82
11-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Just checked, IU has 13 turns already. If they don't clean that up, this game could get really, really ugly for them. Not that I'd mind, but I kind of expected a better game. This one seems like we are playing a low-major.

You mean, like UK?

I think down 24, it’s already ugly for them.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-27-2018, 10:45 PM
No, Duke certainly forced some of them. But IU was bleeding turns, many unforced. The stage just seems too big for the Hoosiers, but Duke was up about only 12 when I wrote that. But then late in the half, Duke seemed to click everywhere and dominated on D and O.

Ah. Okay then. Makes sense.

Let's agree to hope for a dominant second half. With better free throw shooting.

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 10:46 PM
Sure would like K to play O'Connell more. The kid can shoot and he would open up things inside for Zion & RJ. Reddish needs major work.

kako
11-27-2018, 10:47 PM
You mean, like UK?

I think down 24, it’s already ugly for them.

Yeah, ugly like UK or worse.

I'd like to see Duke challenged again. Just a bit. Kind of like with Army.

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 10:51 PM
Reddish is hurting them every time he's on the court.

dukegirl
11-27-2018, 10:56 PM
Is that Trajan Langdon sitting behind Coach K? Next to a woman with a small child?

subzero02
11-27-2018, 10:56 PM
Reddish is hurting them every time he's on the court.

He'll get better. He just needs to make better decisions off the bounce and be more aware and aggressive on defense. Don't forget that these guys are freshmen who haven't played 10 games yet.

-jk
11-27-2018, 10:58 PM
Is that Trajan Langdon sitting behind Coach K? Next to a woman with a small child?

Trajan was announced as being here.

-jk

kako
11-27-2018, 11:01 PM
He'll get better. He just needs to make better decisions off the bounce and be more aware and aggressive on defense. Don't forget that these guys are freshmen who haven't played 10 games yet.

Totally agree. Plus, when teams go zone Duke will need his outside shooting. Some may say Duke can go to AOC, but I'd like to have Reddish out there as well. He just needs to play his game. He proved it already against UK. He just needs to get consistent. November and December is a fine time to work on that.

ChrisP
11-27-2018, 11:01 PM

Yes and looks to me like he's sitting next to Ricky Price.

-jk
11-27-2018, 11:07 PM
And K’s jacket just came off!

-jk

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 11:07 PM

True, but he's so far behind the other frosh. And decision-making will require discipline, which he may be lacking.

DoWorkDukie
11-27-2018, 11:12 PM
Barrett really needs to be less committal on his drives. He decides he's going to shoot 4 seconds prior and it's just predictable for the d. Bring out a floater game RJ!

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 11:16 PM
Barrett really needs to be less committal on his drives. He decides he's going to shoot 4 seconds prior and it's just predictable for the d. Bring out a floater game RJ!

Absolutely right....and good defense teams can stop his effectiveness when he does that.

ChrisP
11-27-2018, 11:21 PM
Ugh, we have fouled a BUNCH in this half. No flow on either end of the court

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 11:26 PM
Good time to play some zone for experience....it will be needed in future with all the fouls these frosh commit.

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 11:34 PM
O'Connell only reliable Dukie FT shooter.

InSpades
11-27-2018, 11:38 PM
O'Connell only reliable Dukie FT shooter.

Cam Reddish was 94%+ coming into the game. I'm not sure he hit the rim on like 80% of them. I realize he has missed all 3 today but...

I'd call him a reliable FT shooter. Everyone has an off day.

Jack White is also a pretty good FT shooter thus far.

fuse
11-27-2018, 11:43 PM
No flow in the second half, and being outscored.

Hearing about Zion and cramping not great, either.

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 11:47 PM
Cam Reddish was 94%+ coming into the game. I'm not sure he hit the rim on like 80% of them. I realize he has missed all 3 today but...

I'd call him a reliable FT shooter. Everyone has an off day.

Jack White is also a pretty good FT shooter thus far.

Reddish misses again....the truly reliable ones don't miss 4 in one game.

Old Dukie
11-27-2018, 11:49 PM
Reddish misses again...the truly reliable ones don't miss 4 in one game.

Another Reddish miss!