PDA

View Full Version : Joanne P. McCallie, a breath of fresh air?

Bluedawg
10-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Interesting article in today's Chronicle: "Bringing new life to women's basketball"

Since departing Michigan State to fill the post left vacant when Goestenkors bolted for Texas, McCallie has done several things that have brought welcome changes from the previous regime.

She's interacted more with the community. Her commitment to reaching out and speaking to fan groups of all types was highlighted by her appearance as emcee of Duke's GameDay extravaganza Saturday preceding the men's Blue-White scrimmage. Coach G often talked about wanting to improve attendance at women's game, but Coach P is backing up those words with action. The women's team has more than 4,000 season tickets sold for next season, a total that's already 1,100 higher than a year ago.

In addition to her embracing of the community, McCallie has made a point of embracing the best basketball resource Duke has to offer: Coach K. It's been a virtual lovefest so far between Krzyzewski and McCallie, with McCallie praising their relationship any time she gets the chance. Krzyzewski returned the favor by recognizing McCallie and her team at halftime of the men's Blue-White game and even showing up himself to the women's scrimmage Sunday.

Looks like Coach P is shaking things up and maybe mending a few fences?

thomas
10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
After watching her on Saturday, I'd say she is clearly comfortable in her own skin and certainly has a bubbly and enthusiastic personality. Her "fire" will be fun to watch and hopefully emulated by her team. If her late game "X and O" skills are equally good (something I think Coach G lacked), an overdue national championship is forthcoming.

killerleft
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Fire up the season! I have nothing against Coach G, who will be remembered, I hope, as the Mother of Duke Basketball Greatness. I anxiously await the McCallie Era. She certainly exudes self-confidence and energy.

She is a breath of fresh air, but man, she's the only air we've got!

Go get 'em, Duke!

Bluedawg
10-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry, i just realized i didn't link to the article.

Bringing new life to women's basketball (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/10/30/Column/Bringing.New.Life.To.Womens.Basketball-3065168.shtml)

it also says:

When asked about the importance of improving the popularity of women's basketball in the Triangle area at a press conference last week, her blunt answer was refreshing: that she couldn't care less about North Carolina or N.C. State, only about Duke.

The jury is still out on McCallie. But according to reports, she's been working the team into better condition than ever, which could pay dividends come postseason.

zingit
10-31-2007, 12:24 AM
I read that article this morning and I have to admit I was rather bewildered by some of the points it makes.

Duke has never had the Blue-White game for women before, but nonetheless Krzyzewski's appearance at any women's game is highly unusual and indicative of the improved relations between the women's basketball program and the rest of the athletics department. It would be an understatement to say that Goestenkors was unpopular within the rest of Duke Athletics by the time of her departure. The other varsity coaches spoke volumes by failing to show for the rally to convince Goestenkors to stay, and some athletics department officials struggled to contain their glee when it was announced that she was leaving.

Granted, I've only been following Duke women's basketball for two years (since I arrived at Duke), but I had no idea Coach G was so unpopular in the athletics department. I know there were some comments made by Alleva last year that sounded negative, but can anyone help me out and tell me what/whom this article may be referring to?

dukemomLA
10-31-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm excited about this women's team and our new Coach. I loved Coach G and hope that she gets her due as the person who brought Duke's women's teams to elite status.

That being said, Coach P is the PERFECT person to propel WBB to a NC or two or three. We are so lucky to have found the great successor. I can't wait for the season to start.

Bluedawg
10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I read that article this morning and I have to admit I was rather bewildered by some of the points it makes.

Granted, I've only been following Duke women's basketball for two years (since I arrived at Duke), but I had no idea Coach G was so unpopular in the athletics department. I know there were some comments made by Alleva last year that sounded negative, but can anyone help me out and tell me what/whom this article may be referring to?

I was surprised as well.

grc5
10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
I was surprised as well.

I'm not suprised. When I was working in the Sports departement at The Chronicle, there were always whispers that Coach G was a difficult personality to get along with.
When Monique Currie was considering forgoing her final year of eligibility to jump for WNBA, we all suspected that an abrasive relationship with Coach G was the primary motivating factor.