PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Gonzaga (Wed Nov 21, 5 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

BandAlum83
11-21-2018, 12:48 AM
I might as well make this my first pre-game and in-game thread. Here we go!

Can Duke make it 18-0 in Maui against the #3 team in the land?

Gonzaga scored 54 in the second half against Arizona to comeback from 13 down.

Discuss and enjoy the game no matter the what the outcome.

Let's Go Duke!!!

BandAlum83
11-21-2018, 02:00 AM
If I am reading KenPom correctly, it looks like Duke will be about a 4.5 point favorite (+the Duke premium?).

After the last night's games, Duke now has the #1 rated adjusted offensive rating and the #5 defensive rating. Gonzaga is #5 and #16 respectively.

Duke is KenPom #1 overall and Gonzaga is #6 overall.

By the way, Auburn and Kentucky are currently #10 an #11.

This should be a tight game and the biggest test for Duke thus far. Can our super freshmen stay on the court and out of foul trouble? that may be a big key to this game.

Personally I am hoping that Zion will get back into the SC Top 10 and will have 3 or 4 highlights to choose from!

I will be going the TuneIn streaming route to hear this game while driving to our Thanksgiving destination.

WVDUKEFAN
11-21-2018, 06:27 AM
I hope last night was not a fluke w/ MB. I've been pulling for that kid for three years now. Even though K doesn't believe in positions, he's a true "5". Protect the rim. Rebound. Get put backs and blocks. He ran the floor last night and played the basketball he's capable of playing. It had to be a huge boost for his confidence. Add that to the rest of the arsenal, and we just became that much more difficult to beat. This is the best all around Duke team I've seen in a long, long time.

arnie
11-21-2018, 06:48 AM
If I am reading KenPom correctly, it looks like Duke will be about a 4.5 point favorite (+the Duke premium?).

After the last night's games, Duke now has the #1 rated adjusted offensive rating and the #5 defensive rating. Gonzaga is #5 and #16 respectively.

Duke is KenPom #1 overall and Gonzaga is #6 overall.

By the way, Auburn and Kentucky are currently #10 an #11.

This should be a tight game and the biggest test for Duke thus far. Can our super freshmen stay on the court and out of foul trouble? that may be a big key to this game.

Personally I am hoping that Zion will get back into the SC Top 10 and will have 3 or 4 highlights to choose from!

I will be going the TuneIn streaming route to hear this game while driving to our Thanksgiving destination.

But the true expert locally, Giglio in the N&O isn’t that impressed. He says we have to beat Gonzaga before he “ranks” us ahead of cheaters and 16-1.

dukelifer
11-21-2018, 07:17 AM
But the true expert locally, Giglio in the N&O isn’t that impressed. He says we have to beat Gonzaga before he “ranks” us ahead of cheaters and 16-1.

Well if Duke wins - they will have run a pretty impressive early gauntlet of KY, Auburn and Gonzaga. Certainly not as impressive as Wofford, Tenn Tech and St Francis, but still.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2018, 07:25 AM
Well if Duke wins - they will have run a pretty impressive early gauntlet of KY, Auburn and Gonzaga. Certainly not as impressive as Wofford, Tenn Tech and St Francis, but still.

That was @ Wofford, too.

dukelifer
11-21-2018, 07:28 AM
I might as well make this my first pre-game and in-game thread. Here we go!

Can Duke make it 18-0 in Maui against the #3 team in the land?

Gonzaga scored 54 in the second half against Arizona to comeback from 13 down.

Discuss and enjoy the game no matter the what the outcome.

Let's Go Duke!!!

This team will learn a lot about itself tonight. The Zags are big and experienced. Foul trouble from this young bunch after two games could be a big factor. I expect the Zags will struggle with Dukes pressure, but they will play a patient offense in the half court. Duke will have a lot to contend with - but they have to play smart and error limited. Cam will need to be on his game to counter Hachimura who is a tough cover. A difficult game to be sure- right up there with UVA and uNC in conference play. Duke has to get lots of easy buckets to win.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Ah, Gonzaga. The perpetually perplexing team. Usually vexed by gaudy records but questionable competition, tonight’s game offers them the opportunity to stamp out the questioners in one fell swoop.

On the gorgeous banks of the Spokane River, Gonzaga is a private Catholic college founded in 1887 and named for Jesuit saint Aloysius Gonzaga. It counts Bing Crosby and John Stockton as alums.

The team’s nickname is the Bulldogs, named for the pack of marauding Olde Englishs that have terrorized Spokane residents since the Couer d’Aline Nation teamed the shores of the Spokane. The plague of dog attacks continues unabated to this day although is rarely reported outside of the Pacific Northwest. Coach Mark Few is marking a trail of his own, now in his 20th year at the helm. They have won the West Coast Conference regular season title every year since 2001, and have made nine Sweet Sixteens including a Final Four and runner-up spot in 2017. They are talented, well-coached, and come from a winning tradition. They will not be intimidated and no doubt believe they should win.

A stern test, indeed. A big wave to the next school on the stage, the talented Bulldogs of Gonzaga University.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Ah, Gonzaga. The perpetually perplexing team. Usually vexed by gaudy records but questionable competition, tonight’s game offers them the opportunity to stamp out the questioners in one fell swoop.

On the gorgeous banks of the Spokane River, Gonzaga is a private Catholic college founded in 1887 and named for Jesuit saint Aloysius Gonzaga. It counts Bing Crosby and John Stockton as alums.

The team’s nickname is the Bulldogs, named for the pack of marauding Olde Englishs that have terrorized Spokane residents since the Couer d’Aline Nation teamed the shores of the Spokane. .

There's not much in Eastern Washington to attract people, but the Spokane River, and especially Lake Couer D'Alene (10 miles away) are the rare exception. It's easy to see why Mark Few has never left. He makes big money, especially for Spokane, and has a program that rocks, and amazing beauty in which to spend the off hours. The Zags are always tough and well coached. This will be another major test. Auburn may be better suited to beating Duke than Gonzaga.....but this is the big time. I'm excited to see it. So little pressure in November....

OldPhiKap
11-21-2018, 07:58 AM
There's not much in Eastern Washington to attract people, but the Spokane River, and especially Lake Couer D'Alene (10 miles away) are the rare exception. It's easy to see why Mark Few has never left. He makes big money, especially for Spokane, and has a program that rocks, and amazing beauty in which to spend the off hours. The Zags are always tough and well coached. This will be another major test. Auburn may be better suited to beating Duke than Gonzaga...but this is the big time. I'm excited to see it. So little pressure in November...

Both Spokane and Lake Couer d’Aline are fabulously beautiful. There is a huge park in Spokane just across the River from Gonzaga’s campus that is wonderful. Good fishing in CdA, with a nice short hiking area (Tubman’s Hill IIRC) perfect for bringing kids.

Troublemaker
11-21-2018, 08:00 AM
That was @ Wofford, too.

"Twue Woad Game" makes Wofford a better win than Auburn in Maui or beating Kentucky by 40.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-21-2018, 08:10 AM

Giglio is just be-clowning himself lately. I get that you want a team of frosh to prove themselves...and that all that youth will run into some rough spots - but it takes a brain dead idiot not to know there's something "different" about this team. Every sports journalist in the nation, except Giglio, sees this. I feel better about this team now than I ever did last year...or heck, better than any team since 92 frankly. We'll see how that plays out...should be a helluva ride.

Of course, the media in 49 states realized what rock stars the 91-92 Duke team was. The only group that missed it were the cHeat grads dominating NC sports media.

Indoor66
11-21-2018, 08:21 AM

The team’s nickname is the Bulldogs, named for the pack of marauding Olde Englishs that have terrorized Spokane residents since the Couer d’Aline Nation teamed the shores of the Spokane. The plague of dog attacks continues unabated to this day although is rarely reported outside of the Pacific Northwest. Coach Mark Few is marking a trail of his own, now in his 20th year at the helm. They have won the West Coast Conference regular season title every year since 2001, and have made nine Sweet Sixteens including a Final Four and runner-up spot in 2017. They are talented, well-coached, and come from a winning tradition. They will not be intimidated and no doubt believe they should win.

A stern test, indeed. A big wave to the next school on the stage, the talented Bulldogs of Gonzaga University.

I thought I was reading a sonnet for a moment.... Lovely prose.

AGDukesky
11-21-2018, 08:26 AM
They have won the West Coast Conference regular season title every year since 2001

St. Mary’s actually won it in 2012. Also, Gonzaga tied for the title two other times during that period. Still very impressive.

Acymetric
11-21-2018, 08:40 AM
That was @ Wofford, too.

unc Played at Elon as well. Tough to play in such a hostile environment against a perennial powerhouse that early in the season (go Phoenix!).

Tripping William
11-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Both Spokane and Lake Couer d’Aline are fabulously beautiful. There is a huge park in Spokane just across the River from Gonzaga’s campus that is wonderful. Good fishing in CdA, with a nice short hiking area (Tubman’s Hill IIRC) perfect for bringing kids.

I have close relatives (an aunt and uncle, and several of their children and grandchildren) who have lived in Spokane for 30+ years. It is a very scenic place, and the golf courses in Coeur D'Alene are spectacularly beautiful (even if I have not had the chance actually to play any of them). Spokane is also Lilac City, with numerous parks having lilacs throughout them, and an annual Lilac Festival. Very fragrant in mid-May or so, when they are in bloom.

My cousins are all Gonzaga fans, so I get to be enemies with them over Thanksgiving weekend. And don't forget that the Devils defeated the Zags in the 2015 Elite 8, on the way to K's 5th natty. I loved that game.

This one should be a whole lot of fun to watch.

budwom
11-21-2018, 08:55 AM

And as I'm sure you know, some of the Gonzaga players actually wear high socks to obscure the copious bulldog bites they endure on a daily basis...my understanding is that the Catholic church has de-emphasized the use of
ruler thwacks over knuckles in favor of canine intimidation. Things evolve.

budwom
11-21-2018, 08:57 AM
I hope last night was not a fluke w/ MB. I've been pulling for that kid for three years now. Even though K doesn't believe in positions, he's a true "5". Protect the rim. Rebound. Get put backs and blocks. He ran the floor last night and played the basketball he's capable of playing. It had to be a huge boost for his confidence. Add that to the rest of the arsenal, and we just became that much more difficult to beat. This is the best all around Duke team I've seen in a long, long time.

It was really really nice to see him smiling and enjoying himself...can't imagine how good this team can be should that continue.

Tripping William
11-21-2018, 09:09 AM
I thought I was reading a sonnet for a moment... Lovely prose.

Which makes me wonder: Is Bill Walton calling tonight's game?

sagegrouse
11-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Chief pedant here. It's "Coeur" not "Couer." Mme. Walter from HS French sends her regards.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Chief pedant here. It's "Coeur" not "Couer." Mme. Walter from HS French sends her regards.

Thanks, you are correct and my bad. Senora Rodriquez hollers hola back (I took Spanish not French for better and worse).

Coeur d'Alene was the name given to the indigenous people by French-Canadian fur trappers and traders. It means, I believe, "Heart of an Awl" due to the toughness of their negotiating prowess.

To the best of my knowledge, they do not claim any relation to the Aztecs.

This should be a great game, and Gonzaga clearly can win. I like to see our team tested either way, and as long as no one gets hurt I am okay with whatever result we get. So long as the guys learn from the game and improve.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 09:32 AM
Gonzaga presents quite the test for this young and talented Duke team. This could be the first college basketball team with a chance to win 3 games against Top 10 teams during its first 10 games of the season... since Duke did it in November 2012 (Kentucky, Louisville, and Ohio State). Like that Louisville team Duke faced in the Bahamas, Gonzaga will be without its starting center. Killian Tillie, a 6'11" stretch center, is out for another month or so with an ankle injury. Tillie was absent from Gonzaga's loss to Florida State in the NCAA Tournament last year as well. The team seems more capable of playing through that absence than last March.

The backcourt combination of senior PG Josh Perkins and sophomore SG Zach Norvell, Jr. are talented and poised. Norvell might have NBA rotation player upside whereas Perkins could be described as "steady." Both are good shooters, although neither have been scorching the nets from distance so far this season. Playing a third game in three days is not often a way to break out from distance. Still, either could cause a problem if left alone. Perkins has been a little turnover prone this year. Tre Jones will once again have quite a challenge ahead of himself. He won the matchup against Jared Harper for about 34 minutes yesterday, which was enough to help the team come out on top.

The real headliner for the Bulldogs is forward Rui Hachimura. The Japanese junior is a legitimate NBA Lottery prospect and would be the first Japanese player to ever be drafted in the lottery. He had some struggles with the language and culture during his freshman year and appears to be breaking out during his third season in Spokane. He seems to be one of those kids that didn't realize how good he was. That seems to have changed. The kid is taking over. He has athleticism to matchup with nearly any of Duke's trio of Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson. He is not a shooter at this point in his career, having taken only seven shots from deep this season to date, connecting on three. He is quite good in the midrange and at the rim.

Another frontcourt stud is the San Jose State transfer Brandon Clarke. The 6'8" forward is the nominal center until Killie returns. He is also the shot blocker on the team, averaging 3.6 per game on the season. He is having his best year in the sport and right at the time that Gonzaga needs him. The other starter is Corey Kispert. He is the weakest of the five starters, a 6'6" sophomore forward known more for his shooting than anything else. His shooting has been so-so so far, connecting on 30% of his 5 3-point attempts on the young season. He is more ideally suited at this stage of his career to coming off the bench. In light of the Tillie injury, he is getting significant minutes so far.

Gonzaga plays a pretty up-tempo style of play. You wonder how that will hold up on the third after two surprisingly close games against inferior opponents. Illinois was close the entire game and Arizona had a good lead at halftime. Will the short rotation and tired legs affect their shooting? Perkins is shooting 50% from 3 in Maui so far, but Norvell and Kispert have not found their shots yet.

The other three players in the 8-man rotation include senior backup PG Geno Crandall, senior forward Jeremy Jones, and freshman big man Filip Petrusev. The latter was a teammate of R.J. Barrett at Montverde Academy. Petrusev is the most talented of the group but probably a year or two away from really asserting himself against high-major opponents in college. Duke will have a size advantage at almost every position. And the team lacks secondary playmakers besides Perkins and Hachimura. If Tre Jones can keep Perkins in front of him, the open 3's will be difficult for the Zags to find. I am intrigued to see who matches up against Hachimura. He has the size, explosiveness, and talent to match any of Duke's wings. When Duke has the ball, though, will Norvell and Kispert be able to check their man? And can Bolden translate his breakout game against Auburn to this game? Gonzaga doesn't present the quickness and moxie of Jared Harper of Auburn, and Bolden did quite well against him when he was switched onto the point guard. Perkins and Norvell are slower and less explosive than Harper. When shots aren't falling due to tired legs, protecting the rim and securing rebounds will be key. This Gonzaga team, while not at 100%, presents a tough matchup for Duke with as many as 5 shooters on the floor at once. Here's hoping we can knock off yet another Top 10 team. Let's Go Duke!

camion
11-21-2018, 09:37 AM

That's getting to the heart of the matter. :)

OldPhiKap
11-21-2018, 09:38 AM
Gonzaga presents quite the test for this young and talented Duke team. This could be the first college basketball team with a chance to win 3 games against Top 10 teams during its first 10 games of the season... since Duke did it in November 2012 (Kentucky, Louisville, and Ohio State). Like that Louisville team Duke faced in the Bahamas, Gonzaga will be without its starting center. Killian Tillie, a 6'11" stretch center, is out for another month or so with an ankle injury. Tillie was absent from Gonzaga's loss to Florida State in the NCAA Tournament last year as well. The team seems more capable of playing through that absence than last March.

The backcourt combination of senior PG Josh Perkins and sophomore SG Zach Norvell, Jr. are talented and poised. Norvell might have NBA rotation player upside whereas Perkins could be described as "steady." Both are good shooters, although neither have been scorching the nets from distance so far this season. Playing a third game in three days is not often a way to break out from distance. Still, either could cause a problem if left alone. Perkins has been a little turnover prone this year. Tre Jones will once again have quite a challenge ahead of himself. He won the matchup against Jared Harper for about 34 minutes yesterday, which was enough to help the team come out on top.

The real headliner for the Bulldogs is forward Rui Hachimura. The Japanese junior is a legitimate NBA Lottery prospect and would be the first Japanese player to ever be drafted in the lottery. He had some struggles with the language and culture during his freshman year and appears to be breaking out during his third season in Spokane. He seems to be one of those kids that didn't realize how good he was. That seems to have changed. The kid is taking over. He has athleticism to matchup with nearly any of Duke's trio of Barrett, Reddish, and Williamson. He is not a shooter at this point in his career, having taken only seven shots from deep this season to date, connecting on three. He is quite good in the midrange and at the rim.

Another frontcourt stud is the San Jose State transfer Brandon Clarke. The 6'8" forward is the nominal center until Killie returns. He is also the shot blocker on the team, averaging 3.6 per game on the season. He is having his best year in the sport and right at the time that Gonzaga needs him. The other starter is Corey Kispert. He is the weakest of the five starters, a 6'6" sophomore forward known more for his shooting than anything else. His shooting has been so-so so far, connecting on 30% of his 5 3-point attempts on the young season. He is more ideally suited at this stage of his career to coming off the bench. In light of the Tillie injury, he is getting significant minutes so far.

Gonzaga plays a pretty up-tempo style of play. You wonder how that will hold up on the third after two surprisingly close games against inferior opponents. Illinois was close the entire game and Arizona had a good lead at halftime. Will the short rotation and tired legs affect their shooting? Perkins is shooting 50% from 3 in Maui so far, but Norvell and Kispert have not found their shots yet.

The other three players in the 8-man rotation include senior backup PG Geno Crandall, senior forward Jeremy Jones, and freshman big man Filip Petrusev. The latter was a teammate of R.J. Barrett at Montverde Academy. Petrusev is the most talented of the group but probably a year or two away from really asserting himself against high-major opponents in college. Duke will have a size advantage at almost every position. And the team lacks secondary playmakers besides Perkins and Hachimura. If Tre Jones can keep Perkins in front of him, the open 3's will be difficult for the Zags to find. I am intrigued to see who matches up against Hachimura. He has the size, explosiveness, and talent to match any of Duke's wings. When Duke has the ball, though, will Norvell and Kispert be able to check their man? And can Bolden translate his breakout game against Auburn to this game? Gonzaga doesn't present the quickness and moxie of Jared Harper of Auburn, and Bolden did quite well against him when he was switched onto the point guard. Perkins and Norvell are slower and less explosive than Harper. When shots aren't falling due to tired legs, protecting the rim and securing rebounds will be key. This Gonzaga team, while not at 100%, presents a tough matchup for Duke with as many as 5 shooters on the floor at once. Here's hoping we can knock off yet another Top 10 team. Let's Go Duke!

Excellent breakdown, thanks!

thedukelamere
11-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Giglio is just be-clowning himself lately. I get that you want a team of frosh to prove themselves...and that all that youth will run into some rough spots - but it takes a brain dead idiot not to know there's something "different" about this team. Every sports journalist in the nation, except Giglio, sees this. I feel better about this team now than I ever did last year...or heck, better than any team since 92 frankly. We'll see how that plays out...should be a helluva ride.

Of course, the media in 49 states realized what rock stars the 91-92 Duke team was. The only group that missed it were the cHeat grads dominating NC sports media.

Plus even if we are able to get the W tonight, Giglio will nonetheless fall back on the "yeah, but if Tilie was healthy and playing...." garbage.

Pghdukie
11-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Duke opens as a 4.5 favorite.

arnie
11-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Plus even if we are able to get the W tonight, Giglio will nonetheless fall back on the "yeah, but if Tilie was healthy and playing..." garbage.

Yea and if Cheats and 16-1 beat Texas/Middle of somewhere in Tennessee, he’s got the fallback position that those wins were more impressive. He could do that simply to excite his audience.

DukeDevil
11-21-2018, 10:00 AM

But...but...the road games!!!

UrinalCake
11-21-2018, 10:11 AM
connecting on 30% of his 5 3-point attempts on the young season.

Huh?!?

TruBlu
11-21-2018, 10:18 AM

While he was calling a consolation game yesterday, Bill asked his sidekick (forgot his name, and don’t care) which games they were calling today. The sidekick said they had the late game. Here’s hoping that we are spared having to listen to Bill’s ramblings.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2018, 10:20 AM
Duke opens as a 4.5 favorite.

Sounds about right. Not far from a toss-up.

I like to see this young team tested. This should be a supreme one. And thee Zags showed that they can come back from a deficit if needed.

LGD!!!

mattman91
11-21-2018, 10:20 AM
While he was calling a consolation game yesterday, Bill asked his sidekick (forgot his name, and don’t care) which games they were calling today. The sidekick said they had the late game. Here’s hoping that we are spared having to listen to Bill’s ramblings.

I'd rather listen to Bill than Jay.

Tripping William
11-21-2018, 10:21 AM

Aww, man! I was looking forward to his musings about lilacs and French spelling and the canine problem in Spokane and the like . . . . :rolleyes:

mattman91
11-21-2018, 10:32 AM

Actually, mute sounds like the best option.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Huh?!?

Meant to write that he is hitting about 30% of his 5 attempts per game. Sorry about that.

thedukelamere
11-21-2018, 10:33 AM

I wouldn't want to do it for a complete season, but seeing as though it's the 3rd game in 3 days I wouldn't mind Bill over Jay this evening... I mean how many times can we possibly hear some semblance of, "Well, if (insert RJ/Zion/Cam) is going to (insert shoot/pass/dunk/defend) like that, then what can you even do?"

hallcity
11-21-2018, 10:33 AM
I like Duke's chances.

@DukeMBBStats
12h12 hours ago

Duke's record under Coach K when both teams are ranked improved to 210-117.

In games when both teams are ranked in the Top 10, Duke is now under Coach K 81-57.

#DukeMBBStats

CDu
11-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Copied over from the Phase I thread:

The Zags are coming off a bittersweet season in which they were upset in the Sweet-16 by FSU. They return a very talented, experienced team that has added a few new faces to the mix. They are extremely well-coached and effective on both ends of the floor. It's an impressive group that Few has put together this year, although we won't see it at full-strength in Maui (more on that later). If they were healthy, I'd basically guarantee they'd reach the final considering their bracket. Even still, I'd be shocked if they don't make it to the championship game. They're really good.

Centers: Gonzaga doesn't play a true center in their starting lineup. They don't really even have one on the roster at all. They will have a quartet of very talented PFs though that will share time against opposing centers as needed.

Forwards: The star of the forward group is Rui Hachimura (6'8", 230lb junior from Japan). Hachimura is a talented low-block scorer with range and versatility, although his 3pt shot needs work. But he's absolutely dynamic inside the arc, and Gonzaga will rely heavily on him for scoring. Especially since their other veteran star Killian Tillie (6'10" 220lb junior from France) is out for several weeks. Tillie is the yin to Hachimura's yang, providing a fabulous threat from 3pt range (nearly 48% career from outside the arc). The two will be a terrific one-two punch for Gonzaga once Tillie returns, and their size and versatility allow Gonzaga to compete with the big boys. In Tillie's place is Brandon Clarke (6'8", 230lb junior transfer from San Diego St, coincidentally enough). Clarke is a high-energy, highly-athletic forward who does al the dirty work. He will lead the team in rebounds, blocks, and probably dunks this year. He's not nearly as skilled as the other two forwards, but he's a dynamo athletically and a high-effort player that gets results through hard work. The third in the foreign triumvirate of Bulldog forwards is Filip Petrusev (6'11", 225lb frosh from Serbia). Petrusev is sort of a less polished version of Tillie, quite capable of hitting the three.

Wings: The Bulldogs are really strong at the starting wing spots with Zach Norvell, Jr (6'5", 205lb soph) and Corey Kispert (6'6", 215lb soph). Norvell, Jr is the NBA prospect, a complete weapon as a wing scorer. Strong, athletic, a good shooter, and extremely confident, he's a dynamic scorer who will be unlikely to stay four years. Norvell is also a strong rebounder for a guard/wing. There isn't much this guy can't do well. Kispert is sort of a poor man's Kyle Singler: smart, rugged, high-IQ player that gets the most out of his athletic ability. He isn't nearly as talented as Singler was obviously, but that's kind of the image I have of him. A hard player not to like if he's on your team. Good role player with a good 3pt shot. Rounding out the wings is Jeremy Jones (6'5", 205lb senior transfer from Rice). Jones is a true role player whose job is to provide energy and defense, and he provides little if anything offensively. He'll play sparingly and only in case of emergency, as the Zags can role out any combination of their wings, forwards, and combo guards instead.

Guards: Josh Perkins (6'3", 190lb redshirt senior) is the team captain and leader. He has been a steady player seemingly since day one in Spokane, though in more of a supporting role in previous years. Last year, he stepped into the spotlight a bit more, and continued his solid though unspectacular play. This year, he's off to a good start everywhere but 3pt range, though I expect that to come around as he's been roughly a 40% 3pt shooter most of his career. He'll play 30+ minutes and run the show for the Zags, and he's one of the better PGs in all of college basketball. He won't wow you in any phase of the game, but his size, strength, and skills are evident in totality. Just a solid, talented veteran PG. And as a bonus, he's quite capable of playing off the ball as well. Behind him is Geno Crandall (6'3", 175lb grad transfer from North Dakota). Crandall was a star at UND, as a lead guard he impressed enough to get a spot on the Zags. He's a great change of pace for Perkins, and the Zags don't really miss a beat whenever Perkins needs to sit, or when they want to give Perkins a break from running the offense.

hallcity
11-21-2018, 10:59 AM
And there's this:

#DukeMBBStats
‏ @DukeMBBStats
4m4 minutes ago

Tonight’s game between 1 Duke and 3 Gonzaga will be the 12th in AP poll history involving top-3 teams in November.

Duke has been in 4, most in poll history:

11/17/79: 3 Duke 82, 2 UK 76
11/26/97: 3 Duke 95, 1 Zona 87
11/29/11: 2 OSU 85, 3 Duke 63
11/14/17: 1 Duke 88, 2 MSU 81

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 11:00 AM
The betting line is moving like crazy, it almost doubled since it opened and now sits at Duke -7.5.

subzero02
11-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Huh?!?

He's 8 of 26 from 3 for the season which is good for 30.769%. Hopefully he continues to shoot at that rate or worse when we face them later today.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Great breakdown, as usual, CDu.

A couple of notes:
- Clarke went to San Jose State. He's also the only rim protector they have on the roster at the moment. Hachimura has the ahtleticism for it but has not done that so far this year.
- Josh Perkins is indeed steady, although he has been sloppy with the ball so far this season. His turnover rate as the lead guard is surprisingly high. That could translate into a lot of easy buckets for Duke.
- While Gonzaga plays fast, they don't force a lot of steals or turnovers. I don't think Duke will face as much pressure as they had against Auburn.
- Zion will most likely be the best rebounder on the court, but the Zags will throw everyone at the rim to get the ball, especially on the defensive glass. Norvell is a good rebounder, as you noted. But I think Duke should own the boards in this game. Duke is bigger on the wings and Bolden should be able to neutralize Clarke to some degree with his boxouts, tapouts, and overall length. Bolden is going to be the biggest, longest dude on the court and Zion is Zion.

dukebluesincebirth
11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
The betting line is moving like crazy, it almost doubled since it opened and now sits at Duke -7.5.

Yep, opened at 4.5, quickly went to 7.5, now settled at 7 on my book. This shows you that the sharps were sitting and waiting to hammer Duke as soon as this line came out, and I think they'll be correct. IMO, this game will be more like playing Kentucky than playing Auburn. Not saying we'll win by 34, but I think it will be more similar to Kentucky. I still like Duke at 7, they'll win by 12+.
Auburn's quickness at the guard position hurt us a bit yesterday, and they got too many dunks. I don't think the zags have the quickness to cause us many problems. Duke also made a ton of stupid mistakes yesterday, and I think they'll tighten that up. Plus, the K factor... he'll be motivating these guys by communicating this is their first chance to win a championship this year. There's a trophy on the line, and I think our competitiveness for that trophy will be off the charts tonight. LETS GO DEVILS!!

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Yep, opened at 4.5, quickly went to 7.5, now settled at 7 on my book. This shows you that the sharps were sitting and waiting to hammer Duke as soon as this line came out, and I think they'll be correct. IMO, this game will be more like playing Kentucky than playing Auburn. Not saying we'll win by 34, but I think it will be more similar to Kentucky. I still like Duke at 7, they'll win by 12+.
Auburn's quickness at the guard position hurt us a bit yesterday, and they got too many dunks. I don't think the zags have the quickness to cause us many problems. Duke also made a ton of stupid mistakes yesterday, and I think they'll tighten that up. Plus, the K factor... he'll be motivating these guys by communicating this is their first chance to win a championship this year. There's a trophy on the line, and I think our competitiveness for that trophy will be off the charts tonight. LETS GO DEVILS!!

It's funny to think about the money that was won and lost in the last 30 seconds of the game, when it was already decided. Duke was up 9 and R.J. had an open look at 3. If he hits it, Duke covers. He missed and Harper made a meaningless 3. While people will say that Duke only won by 6, the game was decided with Duke holding a comfortable 9-point lead in the final minute. And that was in spite of terrible free-throw shooting and some mental mistakes.

Speaking of mental mistakes, I do not expect those to go away tonight. It will have been less than 24 hours since the Auburn game, after all.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2018, 11:28 AM

I hope this is right.

All teams circle Duke on the calendar. As I kinda alluded to before, though, for Gonzaga winning a game like this quiets the constant critics who say they are overrated because their record is padded with lesser competition. If Gonzaga beats this Duke team, I don't think anyone will be questioning their bona fides come March.

For the Zags, this is about getting the respect that has eluded them often. I think we get the stiffest challenge yet.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 11:59 AM
I hope this is right.

All teams circle Duke on the calendar. As I kinda alluded to before, though, for Gonzaga winning a game like this quiets the constant critics who say they are overrated because their record is padded with lesser competition. If Gonzaga beats this Duke team, I don't think anyone will be questioning their bona fides come March.

For the Zags, this is about getting the respect that has eluded them often. I think we get the stiffest challenge yet.

The Zags travel to Tennessee and North Carolina in December. If they win 2 out of 3 of these games with Top 10 opponents, they will have a legitimate case as a top team in college basketball. Let's hope they only win 2 at most, and the first loss is tonight.

MChambers
11-21-2018, 12:02 PM
The Zags travel to Tennessee and North Carolina in December. If they win 2 out of 3 of these games with Top 10 opponents, they will have a legitimate case as a top team in college basketball. Let's hope they only win 2 at most, and the first loss is tonight.

I'll be rooting for Gonzaga in one of those games.

budwom
11-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Actually, mute sounds like the best option.

I'm with you all the way...current AP ranking: 1) mute button, perennial...2) bill, 3) jay

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 01:19 PM
Things I'd like to see tonight...

-More off ball movement in our 5-Out motion offense. Last night, we'd throw that wing pass and it felt like everyone was just standing around. We need motion for the motion to work better.

-Better 3-point guarding. I know the numbers weren't bad, but it felt like they missed a lot of wide open 3s (especially early) and then made a lot of contested 3s. We especially seemed slow to cover transition opportunities or we overcompensated leaving wide open shots in the middle.

-More "Marquese-against-Auburn" Marquese

-More Jack White, Dirty Work Demon

-More Zion post-ups depending on the mismatch. There were a few times in the second half when we quickly slid him to the block and got him the ball. He is very hard to stop down there.

-RJ taking shots in rhythm...less RJ taking early shot clock 3s and trying to make something happen that isn't there.

-Cam Reddish not settling for jump shots

-Tre Jones is great, I have complete faith in him 5 games into the season.

I think we win by 10+

Kedsy
11-21-2018, 01:27 PM
It's funny to think about the money that was won and lost in the last 30 seconds of the game, when it was already decided.

Chris Duhon and the 2004 Final Four game say hello.

gocanes0506
11-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Who plays D on Hachimura? Zion with Bolden in the middle, JD with Zion in the middle, or White with Zion in the middle? All of the above?
Do we see more AOC today because the guards arent as athletic?
Do we press more or do we play more half court D to conserve legs?
Do we improve on driving to the basket or settle for threes? Zags D will have some to say about that.
How well do we do on the glass? Their rebounding is good and do well at keeping the opposing team off the glass. Need to prevent 2nd opportunities from them

I hope we press, with a solid rotation of Goldwire and AOC, to speed up their half court sets. Throwing fresh bodies at Hachimura will be key as well. Make him run around the court with three different guys chasing him.

left_hook_lacey
11-21-2018, 01:38 PM

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Who plays D on Hachimura? Zion with Bolden in the middle, JD with Zion in the middle, or White with Zion in the middle? All of the above?

Good question. I am guessing that RJ gets the assignment to start.

Do we see more AOC today because the guards arent as athletic?
I hope we press, with a solid rotation of Goldwire and AOC, to speed up their half court sets.

Honestly, I feel like if we see more AOC today it's because Plan A isn't working, and I'd like Plan A to work. Until the freshmen and Jack prove they can't hit a respectable number of 3s, I think AOC is out of the rotation in games where we aren't comfortably winning. The same goes for Goldwire.

Do we press more or do we play more half court D to conserve legs?

The Gonzaga rotation guys have logged more minutes than our guys because both of their games were close in the second half, plus they played an OT game on Monday. I think we will try and push pace with that 3/4 court zone press as we have done the past 2 games. Tre is going to be a guy expected to play, basically, 40 minutes in closer games and pressure the ball the whole time. That's the style that suits us so I hope we pressure hard tonight.

MChambers
11-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Things I'd like to see tonight...

-Cam Reddish not settling for jump shots

Small nit: Cam did drive a few times, but they don’t show up in the box. He was called for an offensive foul on a drive early in the game (I was puzzled by the call, but maybe it was just the camera angle) and probably was reluctant to drive once he had three fouls. He had a great drive and bucket in the last 10 minutes, but the refs said he was fouled before the shot. I think he also drove and dished to Zion in the last 10 minutes.

So I know the box says he took nothing but 3s, but it’s not entirely accurate.

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Small nit: Cam did drive a few times, but they don’t show up in the box. He was called for an offensive foul on a drive early in the game (I was puzzled by the call, but maybe it was just the camera angle) and probably was reluctant to drive once he had three fouls. He had a great drive and bucket in the last 10 minutes, but the refs said he was fouled before the shot. I think he also drove and dished to Zion in the last 10 minutes.

So I know the box says he took nothing but 3s, but it’s not entirely accurate.

Good call, thinking back I felt the same way. I love the pressure that he puts on the defender when he drives.

Speaking of which, depending on how Gonzaga defends us, I hope we attack Rui all game long to try and put the pressure on him.

MChambers
11-21-2018, 02:26 PM
The Gonzaga rotation guys have logged more minutes than our guys because both of their games were close in the second half, plus they played an OT game on Monday. I think we will try and push pace with that 3/4 court zone press as we have done the past 2 games. Tre is going to be a guy expected to play, basically, 40 minutes in closer games and pressure the ball the whole time. That's the style that suits us so I hope we pressure hard tonight.

Gonzaga isn’t deep, so they have logged more minutes. I hope that helps us, but they are a veteran team, so might be better equipped to deal with fatigue. I don’t think they had an OT game Monday, however.

JayZee
11-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Great breakdown, as usual, CDu.

A couple of notes:
- Clarke went to San Jose State. He's also the only rim protector they have on the roster at the moment. Hachimura has the ahtleticism for it but has not done that so far this year.
- Josh Perkins is indeed steady, although he has been sloppy with the ball so far this season. His turnover rate as the lead guard is surprisingly high. That could translate into a lot of easy buckets for Duke.
- While Gonzaga plays fast, they don't force a lot of steals or turnovers. I don't think Duke will face as much pressure as they had against Auburn.
- Zion will most likely be the best rebounder on the court, but the Zags will throw everyone at the rim to get the ball, especially on the defensive glass. Norvell is a good rebounder, as you noted. But I think Duke should own the boards in this game. Duke is bigger on the wings and Bolden should be able to neutralize Clarke to some degree with his boxouts, tapouts, and overall length. Bolden is going to be the biggest, longest dude on the court and Zion is Zion.

I have a ton of confidence in Tre being able to check Josh Perkins. How many point guards have we had that can check guards as quick as Auburn's? Duhon? Hurley? Amaker? As good as Wojo was, no way he stays in front of the Auburn guys. And Perkins is active, but doesn't seem to have much burst. I think with Jones and our wings we can really take Gonzaga out of their offense and force some turnovers. Lets get Zion a dunk early...

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 02:48 PM
Gonzaga isn’t deep, so they have logged more minutes. I hope that helps us, but they are a veteran team, so might be better equipped to deal with fatigue. I don’t think they had an OT game Monday, however.

Right again, that was Auburn. Dang, MChambers, I am thankful that you are keeping me honest, here.

cato
11-21-2018, 02:53 PM
To the best of my knowledge, they do not claim any relation to the Aztecs.

Sounds more like Visigoth territory to me.

UrinalCake
11-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Not an OT game on Monday, but it was fairly close throughout and Illinois cut the lead to a single possession in the final minute. So it was a much more physically and mentally draining game than ours was. Yesterday they needed a big second half to avoid the upset. Plus they have played later than us each day, leaving them with less recovery time.

If there's a silver lining behind the foul trouble we keep getting into, it's that some of our star players have been forced into playing fewer minutes.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 03:40 PM
This twitter thread from Jordan Sperber is some high quality video analysis. He shows how Gonzaga uses the ball screen to generate easy buckets. He also makes the case that Bolden is ill-equipped to defend it while suggesting that DeLaurier is the better matchup. I agree with this and expect to see a lot of DeLaurier and White out there to defend the ball screen action that Gonzaga uses.

Follow the thread here: https://twitter.com/hoopvision68/status/1065331746147917824

HereBeforeCoachK
11-21-2018, 03:56 PM
This twitter thread from Jordan Sperber is some high quality video analysis. He shows how Gonzaga uses the ball screen to generate easy buckets. He also makes the case that Bolden is ill-equipped to defend it while suggesting that DeLaurier is the better matchup. I agree with this and expect to see a lot of DeLaurier and White out there to defend the ball screen action that Gonzaga uses.

Follow the thread here: https://twitter.com/hoopvision68/status/1065331746147917824

In theory, I agree...but that was contemplating Bolden 1.0 or 2.0. Bolden 3.0 was unleashed last night. Different animal......meanwhile Javin 3.0 seems to have regressed IMO.

jv001
11-21-2018, 04:01 PM

Javin also might foul out in the first half trying to defend the Zags ball screens. He certainly has the athleticism to defend but he has been foul prone as well. Coach K will make the right decision. GoDuke!

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 04:14 PM
In theory, I agree...but that was contemplating Bolden 1.0 or 2.0. Bolden 3.0 was unleashed last night. Different animal...meanwhile Javin 3.0 seems to have regressed IMO.

I wish! Sperber was using clips from the Auburn game, when Marques broke out. It's worth watching how he responds to ball screens. We shouldn't be surprised if Javin subs in early. Javin didn't get into much foul trouble in the game yesterday and had some really nice defensive plays.

Troublemaker
11-21-2018, 04:18 PM

The first clip was a miscommunication between Marques and RJ but not necessarily Marques' fault. Typically it's the big that calls out the coverage. If anyone's ever watched Duke live in a setting that's not noisy, you can hear the bigs call out "Ice ice ice" when we're icing. Marques doesn't like to ice and prefers hedging, and it's hard to know whether he communicated a hedge to RJ and RJ missed it or not. Alternatively, it's possible the coaches ordered all ball screens to be iced, in which case it really was Marques' fault.

On the second clip, Sperber just isn't used to how Duke plays ice. I've been complaining about it for several seasons. We don't actually put our bigs in a drop (and preferably a deep drop) which is what Sperber would typically see on film from other teams who ice. We have our bigs cover the 3-pt line in what I call a "lateral contain" and thus instead of playing the ball screen 2 on 2 like Sperber would expect, we still need the weakside defender to come over and help on the roller. This dunk wasn't on Marques but on Zion, which Bilas identified correctly during live play.

Acymetric
11-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Why on Earth is this game so early?

Troublemaker
11-21-2018, 04:31 PM
On the play where Sperber compliments Javin on the deflection (the second of two plays in the clip), notice that Javin does the lateral contain at the 3-pt line. The difference is that Zion discouraged the pass to the roller, which forces a pass outside to Zion's man and allows Javin to get back in time to the roller for the deflection.

On the play where Javin does the drop (albeit starting from far away beyond the 3-pt line) to contain Harper (the first of two plays in the clip), there was no roller. The screen setter didn't roll, and thus only Harper was a threat.

Ultimately, Sperber is correct that Javin is going to play ball screens better than Marques, but I'm providing the context from someone who watches Duke way more than Sperber does.

-jk
11-21-2018, 04:32 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

arnie
11-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Why on Earth is this game so early?

ESPN makes all decisions regarding college fball and b-ball game times. They are showing Lakers-Cavs at 8 and have advertised the crap out of that game. I assume that Lebron game is a better draw.

DavidBenAkiva
11-21-2018, 04:47 PM
On the play where Sperber compliments Javin on the deflection (the second of two plays in the clip), notice that Javin does the lateral contain at the 3-pt line. The difference is that Zion discouraged the pass to the roller, which forces a pass outside to Zion's man and allows Javin to get back in time to the roller for the deflection.

On the play where Javin does the drop (albeit starting from far away beyond the 3-pt line) to contain Harper (the first of two plays in the clip), there was no roller. The screen setter didn't roll, and thus only Harper was a threat.

Ultimately, Sperber is correct that Javin is going to play ball screens better than Marques, but I'm providing the context from someone who watches Duke way more than Sperber does.

Very much appreciated the analysis.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Love those blue jerseys.

Looks like Zion is getting the "you're bigger and stronger so you don't get calls" treatment again when he drives to the basket.

gocanes0506
11-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Refs have swallowed the whistles compared to the first 2 games. Doesn’t help the team driving the basket.

BigZ
11-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Tre should get an assist there

jipops
11-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Kenpom D going to take a beating after this game. Zags getting any shot they want. They certainly look to be the superior team so far.

TruBlu
11-21-2018, 05:22 PM
That might be Tre’s last dunk attempt this year.

DoWorkDukie
11-21-2018, 05:26 PM
Why are we so sloppy with the ball? We just look out of sorts for the second day in a row.

DoWorkDukie
11-21-2018, 05:30 PM
We need someone to come in it and give us some juice. Looking tired out there

WHOneedsSOX
Defense is really bad so far. It's not as if Gonzaga is hitting tough shots either. They won't shoot 75% the whole game but there won't be much drop off if Duke doesn't start playing defense.

kako
No way I want to lose, but I'm really interested to see how this team reacts to being down.

9F

AGDukesky
Look like a bunch of freshmen

arnie
11-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Why are we so sloppy with the ball? We just look out of sorts for the second day in a row.

We’re playing a well oiled machine. Duke doesn’t resemble that and extra talent isn’t enough tonite.

jipops
11-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Zags shooting 68%. We are still uke.

ChrisP
11-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Really worried that muffed dunk by Tre is going to end up costing us this game - clear 4 pt swing

kako
11-21-2018, 05:36 PM
I don't think one missed shot in the first half is going to cost any team any game.

ChrisP
11-21-2018, 05:38 PM
Javin suddenly playing matador defense - WTH?

BigZ
11-21-2018, 05:38 PM
So our big man are just going to stare as Gonzaga gets layups

jipops
11-21-2018, 05:39 PM
This is a butt kicking. No stops happening on D. None.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Duke in danger of getting blown out if they don't start defending.

gocanes0506
Freshmen team vs an experienced team

Hero ball vs team ball

31-42

Mak P
is coach K going to play his bench? our guys look tired. we have a bench to use, not just for this game, but for the rest of the season. I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. this game. let's get others involved and keep out main five fresh

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 05:41 PM

Yeah, we need to up our intensity on both ends. They are punching us in the mouth.

uh_no

145 efficiency for gonzaga. pitiful.

ChrisP
I don't think one missed shot in the first half is going to cost any team any game.

How will you feel about that if we lose by 3 or 4? I realize my comment is a bit over the top but that was a COMPLETELY unnecessary dunk attempt that allowed the Zags to get an easy 2pts and that seemed to be the start of getting them rolling.

arnie
11-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Freshmen team vs an experienced team

Hero ball vs team ball

31-42

A good butt-kicking may be good for us. Totally impressed with the Zags - they get it.

luvdahops
11-21-2018, 05:42 PM
Zags shooting 68%. We are still uke.

Their shooting will cool off some but we are having way too many mental lapses defensively. Our reliance on 1 on 1 play at the other end is hurting us too. Gonzaga has scouted us well and has been ready for RJ, Cam and Zion’s pet moves.

gep
11-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Just looked it up... last year in the PK-80. Duke trailed at the half to Texas 43-31 and Florida 53-49. Texas went to overtime for Duke to win by 7, beat Florida by 3. So,... maybe Coach K makes his half-time adjustments. But this one looks like it's getting out of hand

kako
11-21-2018, 05:48 PM
How will you feel about that if we lose by 3 or 4? I realize my comment is a bit over the top but that was a COMPLETELY unnecessary dunk attempt that allowed the Zags to get an easy 2pts and that seemed to be the start of getting them rolling.

I will feel that there was another 30 minutes to play, and that we lost by 3 or 4. The kid just missed a dunk. It happens, I suggest that you don't focus on it.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Duke's defense has been awful but the offense is also missing some easy looks. Probably 3 or 4 layups they've missed ready. Huge 3 by Jones there obviously. He's been their most consistent offense so far today.

ChrisP
11-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Ok, I forgive Tre for that missed dunk now :)

uh_no
11-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Duke's defense has been awful but the offense is also missing some easy looks. Probably 3 or 4 layups they've missed ready. Huge 3 by Jones there obviously. He's been their most consistent offense so far today.
godddd....the missed layups are insufferable. If i didn't think it unlikely i'd ask if the rim was at the wrong height.

curtis325
11-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Ok, I forgive Tre for that missed dunk now :)

Tre Stones starting the comeback!

arnie
11-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Seems to be a bad matchup for Bolden and Javin. Would consider playing small ball in 2nd half since Zion not in foul trouble.

InSpades
Gonzaga is not Auburn. They are hot for sure but they are also taking much better chances. They work to get a good shot every time down the floor. We could learn a lot from them.

It's not like Auburn where you can play 10 seconds of good defense and they'll chuck up a bad 3.

We are actually working the ball much better on offense. Some things just aren't falling and Gonzaga is defending pretty well.

The way we played last night was not good enough to beat a really good team... Gonzaga is that really good team.

Thankfully there's a whole 2nd half to turn things around. They aren't going to shoot 60% from 3 for the game... they also aren't going to let us back in w/out a fight.

Need to figure out a way to get stops on defense. A little halftime magic from K would be nice.

Billy Dat
Being down 8 is a win right now, Tre’s 3 was a huge shot. We are ok, they can’t play better, we can’t play worse, let’s get it in the 2nd half!!!

kako
11-21-2018, 05:54 PM
Duke's been playing poorly against the #3 team in the country, and they are only down by 8 at half. They are at halftime and have the best coach in the game. I'm not that worried at this point, as I expect a better performance in the 2nd half. If the Zags continue their shooting, though, it may be tough to win. Better defense should lower their percentage, but in the end seeing "DUKE" on jerseys does seem to inspire hot hands sometimes.

9F

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 05:54 PM
Has Reddish scored yet? Going to need something out of him.

And keep White off Hachimura, please. He can't guard him.

fgb
11-21-2018, 05:56 PM
win or lose, I feel pretty good. the difference in the game comes down to the experience gap, imo. we'll close the experience gap by March. and we'll still be more talented. you can't close the talent gap.

Dub
11-21-2018, 05:57 PM
We got hit in the mouth. Let’s see how the youngin’s respond. Lessons to be learned regardless of the outcome. Let’s go Duke!

gocanes0506
11-21-2018, 05:58 PM

K is protecting Zion on D. JD looks lost on D. Bolden is too slow. What is the other option? Reddish? RJ is protected on D.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 05:59 PM
K is protecting Zion on D. JD looks lost on D. Bolden is too slow. What is the other option? Reddish? RJ is protected on D.

Do Zion or Reddish have any fouls yet? I think Zion maybe with 1? I'd try either one in the 2nd half. White isn't getting it done.

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Duke has GOT to play more zone! These OAD's don't/won't play man to man well enough.....and that's the way it will always be throughout the season. Also, where is bench?

luvdahops
11-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Seems to be a bad matchup for Bolden and Javin. Would consider playing small ball in 2nd half since Zion not in foul trouble.

I think we need a strong effort from Javin. He should be our best counter for the combination of size, skill and athleticism in the Zags front court. Love Jack’s contributions so far this year, but his athletic limitations are on display today. And Marques lacks the mobility to keep up with most of these guys.

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 06:04 PM
win or lose, I feel pretty good. the difference in the game comes down to the experience gap, imo. we'll close the experience gap by March. and we'll still be more talented. you can't close the talent gap.

Wrong....not just experience. Dukie frosh won't play Defense.....K must go to zone!

Devilwin
11-21-2018, 06:05 PM
RJ still not shooting well at all. He hasn't for this entire tourney. Plus, decision making has been bad for the entire team. If we don't smarten up, we are looking at a 14-18 point whipping.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Duke has GOT to play more zone! These OAD's don't/won't play man to man well enough....and that's the way it will always be throughout the season. Also, where is bench?

Their on ball D is pretty good. They're just getting lost off ball and on pick and rolls. That'll come with repetition and experience with each other.

fgb
11-21-2018, 06:07 PM

couple of real questionable calls on white, I thought. just recently re-read an ESPN article from around 2009 about officials tendency to call more fouls on the team with fewer fouls called against them, subconsciously keeping it even. point of the piece was that most games end up with both teams being called for approximately the same number of fouls, which is highly unlikely were the game to be called perfectly, given differences in talent, v experience, style of play, etc.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 06:10 PM
couple of real questionable calls on white, I thought. just recently re-read an ESPN article from around 2009 about officials tendency to call more fouls on the team with fewer fouls called against them, subconsciously keeping it even. point of the piece was that most games end up with both teams being called for approximately the same number of fouls, which is highly unlikely were the game to be called perfectly, given differences in talent, v experience, style of play, etc.
I used to ref, mostly kids, and I had partners who would do the same. Some subconsciously. Some consciously.

Wide open dunk, uncontested 3, and wide open 3. Gonzaga 5-5 to start the half. Meanwhile another missed dunk for Duke.

gocanes0506
11-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Wow duke is -9 on 2 dunk attempts. Wow

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Yes Tre! We need a spark!!! Make the FTs and lets go!!

arnie
11-21-2018, 06:15 PM

K just responded that he agrees😀. I like the lineup just before the timeout.

kako
11-21-2018, 06:16 PM
The hype machine is over after tonight. We aren’t at all the type of team the espn talking heads have been proclaiming.

While I agree we actually aren't the team that the hype machine says we are, if Duke comes back then it will keep on going. I don't think we are done just yet. I want to see some heart. Who is this team's MFer that won't let them lose?

curtis325
11-21-2018, 06:18 PM
While I agree we actually aren't the team that the hype machine says we are, if Duke comes back then it will keep on going. I don't think we are done just yet. I want to see some heart. Who is this team's MFer that won't let them lose?

Could be Tre F Stones

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Little run going here. Can they keep getting stops though?

uh_no
11-21-2018, 06:21 PM
Little run going here. Can they keep getting stops though?

negative, ghostrider, the pattern is full.

DoWorkDukie
11-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Our inability to generate turnovers really hampers us

jipops
11-21-2018, 06:24 PM
I know there are over 12 minutes left, but I think that sequence ended it.

fgb
11-21-2018, 06:24 PM
zags shooting 62% from the field. we're shooting 40%. that's not them, and that's not us. hard to sweat a fluke game, unless it's March. and it isn't.

kako
11-21-2018, 06:27 PM
I know there are over 12 minutes left, but I think that sequence ended it.

Disagree. This team can score in bunches. We may need some cold shooting on the Zags' part, but I think it's still far from over.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 06:27 PM
zags shooting 62% from the field. we're shooting 40%. that's not them, and that's not us. hard to sweat a fluke game, unless it's March. and it isn't.
I wouldn't call it a fluke game even though they're shooting lights out. They've probably shot 3-4 bad shots all game. Their execution along with Dukes slow reacting defense is leading to great looks.

Utley
11-21-2018, 06:31 PM
Gonzaga 65% from 3. Playing out of their minds.

Mak P
A step slower tonight, but they're fighting through it

DoWorkDukie
We're a worse team in every single facet of the game tonight

gep
11-21-2018, 06:32 PM
I hope Duke at least wins the second half... but it will be a struggle even for that

kako
11-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Heads up TO by Norvell. Liked the effort from Zion though.

WHOneedsSOX
Only way Duke has a chance is if they hold Gonzaga to 82-83 points in regulation which seems unlikely since they're already at 75.

BigZ
What BS you should not get a timeout there

jipops
11-21-2018, 06:36 PM
We’re in the bonus! Oh...we’re in the bonus.

Mak P
11-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Our guys tired as hell

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 06:40 PM
No chance folks...K just won't play zone. And Hachimura showing the Duke hotshots what all around play is about.

Mak P
11-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Everything is just going right for Zags. We just can't get within 5

BigZ
11-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Their big man travels a lot but no calls

Stray Gator
11-21-2018, 06:44 PM
No chance folks...K just won't play zone. And Hachimura showing the Duke hotshots what all around play is about.

You want to play zone against a team that's hitting 63% of their three-point shots?

jipops

Yea. K should have them play a defense they haven’t practiced.

kako

Picking up 3/4 court has slowed Gonzaga down. While some zone might be a good idea, going full time with their shooters would be questionable.

fgb
I wouldn't call it a fluke game even though they're shooting lights out. They've probably shot 3-4 bad shots all game. Their execution along with Dukes slow reacting defense is leading to great looks.

my point is, in a future matchup, we'll be better. more experienced. and both teams likely to revert to the mean.

WHOneedsSOX
Everything is just going right for Zags. We just can't get within 5

Keep waiting for the 6-0 run to get it under 10 but Gonzaga refuses to let it happen.

uh_no
11-21-2018, 06:45 PM
actually okay with how we've played since they pushed the lead to 10. we've kept it largely even since then. Gonzaga may be too good a team to dig out of a hole against, but we've been playing somewhat better.

kako
11-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Zone or no zone, not boxing out when the shot goes up has led to some easy buckets for the Zags.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 06:48 PM
my point is, in a future matchup, we'll be better. more experienced. and both teams likely to revert to the mean.

I agree with that. I think Duke's ceiling is a little higher but Gonzaga has earned this game if they win. Nothing flukey about it.

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 06:48 PM
You want to play zone against a team that's hitting 63% of their three-point shots?

Zone will allow frosh to get closer to shot makers. Right now Duke frosh are lost on D!

jipops
11-21-2018, 06:49 PM
I’m really impressed with the Zags. The game has been a total mismatch. Ofcourse, would not be surprising if fhis is their best game of the season. Could be their UK game.

ChrisP
11-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Thank goodness for Zion, but...that was a TERRIBLE shot by RJ

kako
11-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Great dunk by Barrett in traffic!

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Reddish should stay on bench....he's lacking effort...Zion never lacks hustle.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 06:54 PM
Wow, what run. Win or lose this has been a fantastic final 8 for Duke. They definitely have tons of heart.

Billy Dat
11-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Let’s go!!!!!!!

kako
11-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Disagree. This team can score in bunches. We may need some cold shooting on the Zags' part, but I think it's still far from over.

<patting myself on the back>

They may not win, but they have showed heart.

fgb
11-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Great dunk by Barrett in traffic!

should have been an and one. he was mauled on that dunk.

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Barrett coming alive....hope he doesn't try to take over game.....let Zion help!

fgb
11-21-2018, 06:57 PM
rj needs to keep driving hachimora

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 06:57 PM
But Barrett needs to spend mucho practice time shooting foul shots.

kako
11-21-2018, 07:02 PM
Still time for a 2 for 1

uh_no
11-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Still time for a 2 for 1

doesn't matter if barrett jacks up hero-threes.

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that missed dunk by Tre is huuuuge.

Old Dukie
11-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Hachimura is a player!

BigZ
11-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Javin should of just gone straight up basket was open

uh_no
11-21-2018, 07:05 PM
doesn't matter if barrett jacks up hero-threes.

or just plays hero ball in general. wow. not thrilled with some of his offensive play these last couple minutes.

Old Dukie
Knew it...Barrett tries to be super hero!

WHOneedsSOX
I'd like to see a replay on that first one. Sure looked like Clark had his arm around Barrett's waist.

DoWorkDukie
11-21-2018, 07:06 PM
RJ going hero ball to our detriment....

Mak P
11-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Why give the ball to RJ back to back times. No Zion, no Cam wtf

luvdahops
RJ going hero ball to our detriment...

Agreed

Multiple possessions in a row

DoWorkDukie
White got hacked

uh_no
11-21-2018, 07:08 PM

We stopped doing the things that got us back into the game.

WHOneedsSOX
Gonzaga just trying to give Duke a chance to tie it. Killer late game execution.

fgb
rj needs to keep driving hachimora

luvdahops

Been awhile since Zion touched it on offense

Old Dukie
K, just give ball to Zion - not Barrett.

kako
11-21-2018, 07:09 PM
Barrett got fouled on that drive. I have no problem with him doing it as I think he's the team's best pure scorer.

BigZ
11-21-2018, 07:09 PM
White got hacked

Yep and he didn’t foul either , that was a jump balll

WHOneedsSOX
11-21-2018, 07:10 PM
What a horrible ending. Barrett 0-5 to tie it under a minute.

Mak P
I can't believe we just gave it to RJ AGAIN

WTF :mad:

DoWorkDukie
RJ going hero ball....to our detriment.

why not go to zion?

fgb
11-21-2018, 07:11 PM
that was embarrassing. why would we want Barrett to draw a foul there?

WHOneedsSOX
That was pretty obviously a foul though. He jumped forwards at Barrett.

Old Dukie
Does Barrett know what a pass is?

JetpackJesus
11-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Defense is a lot easier when you can just foul the guy shooting at will.

DoWorkDukie
11-21-2018, 07:12 PM
RJ honestly needs to learn how to pass. He's dynamite in transition, he has waaaay to much hero ball in him. We have Cam, Zion, and Tre who are all capable.

DeLaurier was WIDE open because Gonzago knew RJ would never pass the ball

I love RJ but he's incredibly frustrating sometimes because the ball sticks so much. love his alpha dog but he cost us that one