PDA

View Full Version : FB: coaching carousel

Reilly
11-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Coach Mac out at Colorado.

W&M hires Mike London, so he can now claim head coach status at three I-64 institutions in Virginia.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25320220/william-mary-hires-mike-london-coach-tribe-football

Here's a touching David Teel piece on Jimmye Laycock's last game: https://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-wm-laycock-farewell-1118-story.html

Laycock coached two current NFL head coaches (Tomlin; McDermott)

BigWayne
11-20-2018, 01:13 AM
UNCC has fired the coach that got their program started and into FBS. (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article221875065.html)
They are on the Duke FB schedule for a home and home series in 2020/21.

Acymetric
11-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Cut will obviously be staying, but I will be curious to see if there is some movement on the staff, especially as other schools start making changes/letting assistants go.

OldPhiKap
11-24-2018, 03:28 PM
I think Clemson broke us.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-24-2018, 04:21 PM
I concur: the final hit in a season dragged down with injuries.

Acymetric
11-24-2018, 04:32 PM

I concur: the final hit in a season dragged down with injuries.

Cannot blame this on injuries. Our offense is plenty healthy (barely any injuries) and we played worse against Wake on that side of the ball than Towson, Tulane, or Rice (by a wide margin in all three cases).

devildeac
11-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Cannot blame this on injuries. Our offense is plenty healthy (barely any injuries) and we played worse against Wake on that side of the ball than Towson, Tulane, or Rice (by a wide margin in all three cases).

Yea, given that in August we heard something like "biggest, fastest, strongest, deepest" Duke team in years or something to that effect. How many players down was WFU's defense today?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Yea, given that in August we heard something like "biggest, fastest, strongest, deepest" Duke team in years or something to that effect. How many players down was WFU's defense today?

This is true.....Wake may be the only team in the country to have injuries to the extent Duke did......so we lost the infirmary bowl 59-7. Clawson is helluva coach. He fired a coordinator mid season too (oops did I mention that?)

Acymetric
11-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Nothing official yet, but we may see some a new face at the ACC media event next season. Looks like they are tired of Fedora.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-Football-Larry-Fedora-Head-Coaching-Change-125271411/

Any chance Jim Bridge or Zac Roper are on their radar? ;)

skysdad
11-24-2018, 10:21 PM
I don't want to see Fedora lose his job at UNC. I wonder if some how a bunch of Duke boosters and Iron Duke's got together and went to the UNC folks and told them Duke would pay Fedora's salary to remain UNC's if they would take it.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-24-2018, 10:39 PM
I don't want to see Fedora lose his job at UNC. I wonder if some how a bunch of Duke boosters and Iron Duke's got together and went to the UNC folks and told them Duke would pay Fedora's salary to remain UNC's if they would take it.
Quick! Somebody set up a gofundme page! LGD GTHc 9F!

devildeac
11-24-2018, 11:59 PM

Quick! Somebody set up a gofundme page! LGD GTHc 9F!

Harruummph. I suggested this weeks ago. Yea, I'm grumpy tonight.

duke2x
11-25-2018, 12:21 AM

Southern Miss was a total rebuild after Fedora left town. UNC faces the same thing for 2-3 years after Fedora leaves. GT will face a different kind of rebuild once Johnson leaves.

BigWayne
11-25-2018, 02:19 PM
To keep this updated...
In addition to the cheats, Colorado, Bowling Green and Louisville, we have...

Les Miles hired at Kansas. (https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kansas-hires-former-lsu-coach-les-miles-as-next-leader-of-jayhawks-football/)

Texas State coach fired. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25317440/texas-state-bobcats-fire-coach-everett-withers)

UMass. (https://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2018/11/mark_whipple_out_umass_officia.html)

Central Michigan (https://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ssf/2018/11/john_bonamego_fired_as_central.html)

Texas Tech job now open. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25373953/kliff-kingsbury-fired-texas-tech-losing-season)

ESPN has a nice updated table BTW (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25358600/college-football-coaching-changes)

gocanes0506
11-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Scottie Mo is rumored to be out at ECU, awaiting official outcome to be as early as today.

OldPhiKap
11-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Scottie Mo is rumored to be out at ECU, awaiting official outcome to be as early as today.

I am hoping the win over the Cheats bought him another year, but this would not surprise me. My understanding is that everyone likes him, but the results just are not there and they fired their last coach for better records.

Reilly
11-25-2018, 04:10 PM

Texas State coach fired. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25317440/texas-state-bobcats-fire-coach-everett-withers)

So that makes two UNC head coaches getting fired this weekend. I never understood the Withers to Texas State move (on his part). He was perched at an FCS juggernaut in JMU and seemingly could have parlayed that into some much better job than one of the worst in FBS at Texas State.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-25-2018, 05:52 PM

yeah, I think this is inevitable. i liked Scottie Mo as a WR coach.....didn't like him much as OC/QB coach.....never understood why he should coach QBs......and was very happy when ECU hired him away. Really great guy....not ready for coordinator or HC position it would seem.

Pghdukie
11-25-2018, 09:45 PM
I'm wondering if Mack Brown might be interested in the Heels job ?

PackMan97
11-25-2018, 09:59 PM
I'm wondering if Mack Brown might be interested in the Heels job ?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-former-north-carolina-texas-coach-mack-brown-interested-in-rejoining-tar-heels/amp/

I would say, yes he is. How much interest is there on the Heels side of things?

How many coaches are successful a second time around? especially now that he's collecting social security? I'd have to think he's burned a fair number of bridges when he left for Texas.

OldPhiKap
11-25-2018, 10:04 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-former-north-carolina-texas-coach-mack-brown-interested-in-rejoining-tar-heels/amp/

I would say, yes he is. How much interest is there on the Heels side of things?

How many coaches are successful a second time around? especially now that he's collecting social security? I'd have to think he's burned a fair number of bridges when he left for Texas.

Any sane Heel fan would take Mack in a heartbeat.

Yes, I understand that may be a null set if graphed.

Reilly
11-25-2018, 10:14 PM
... may be a null set if graphed.

Like a sweater without sleeves ...

OldPhiKap
11-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Like a sweater without sleeves ...

Like a school withou scruples ...

jimsumner
11-25-2018, 10:22 PM
So that makes two UNC head coaches getting fired this weekend. I never understood the Withers to Texas State move (on his part). He was perched at an FCS juggernaut in JMU and seemingly could have parlayed that into some much better job than one of the worst in FBS at Texas State.

Assuming Montgomery is gone, he joins Mike McIntyre as former Duke assistants under Cut who have been fired as head coaches this month. I wouldn't be too smug.

Coaches are hired to be fired.

SoCalDukeFan
11-26-2018, 12:25 AM
kept Clay Helton. Fanbase is LIVID.

Helton btw started as a grad assistant at Duke under Fred Goldsmith.

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2018, 11:41 AM

ECU put out a statement a couple weeks ago saying they would not make any decisions until the end of the season. (Which is against NCSU in a game scheduled to make up for the games they both missed due to Florence.)

"Will not make any decisions until the end of the season" pretty much translates to "we made up our decision and will announce his firing after we lose to State".

arnie
11-26-2018, 12:19 PM
ECU put out a statement a couple weeks ago saying they would not make any decisions until the end of the season. (Which is against NCSU in a game scheduled to make up for the games they both missed due to Florence.)

"Will not make any decisions until the end of the season" pretty much translates to "we made up our decision and will announce his firing after we lose to State".

Would they take Fedora since he can work for free and screw the Cheats.

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Would they take Fedora since he can work for free and screw the Cheats.

Maybe he can finally win the unc-ECU game. And I'd be happy for him that day!

CameronBornAndBred
11-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Scottie addresses his job status during a press conference focusing on the State game.

On Talks With Dr. Cecil Stanton Or Dave Hart About Job Security:

“If I’ve had any conversations, those are private conversations.”

On Whether Results Deserve Another Year And On The Faith Of Pirate Nation:

“That’s something that I don’t know. Like you said, it’s an opinion and I don’t want to get into opinions. My opinion is that I’m going to go work as hard as I can this week to make sure that we have an opportunity to beat the NC State Wolfpack. The other part, it’s hard for me to say too because I don’t know every single person in Pirate Nation.”
https://www.witn.com/content/news/Montgomery-answers-tough-questions-about-job-security-at-ECU-501264691.html

Reilly
11-27-2018, 01:20 PM
I didn't realize Kurt Roper was the interim HC for Colorado after Mac was fired; lost to finish 0-1.

Acymetric
11-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Scottie Montgomery officially released from ECU, and will not coach the NC State game per the DG show. I figured he was out but am a little surprised they didn't keep him for this game. I guess they didn't want him to win and then have to re-debate whether he should go after wins over unc and NC State. Hope he lands on his feet!

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Scottie Montgomery officially released from ECU, and will not coach the NC State game per the DG show. I figured he was out but am a little surprised they didn't keep him for this game. I guess they didn't want him to win and then have to re-debate whether he should go after wins over unc and NC State. Hope he lands on his feet!

I'm surprised as well, especially seeing that they released a statement a couple weeks ago that no action would be taken until the season was over.

The university says the decision was made after consultation with the ECU Board of Trustees and special advisor for athletics Dave Hart.
https://www.witn.com/content/news/SOURCES--Montgomery-out-as-ECU-football-coach-gone-after-Saturday-501556641.html

At least this allows Scottie to get a jump on his next job. I have no doubt that he will be coaching next year, just a matter of where and at what position.

Reilly
11-29-2018, 01:42 PM
... I have no doubt that he will be coaching next year, just a matter of where and at what position.

We could put the 2008 band back together with Scottie, Kurt, and Mac.

I saw an interview with the JMU coach who has an FCS playoff game this weekend, saying he was offered the Charlotte job, and mentioning how Charlotte was closer to family. He was forthright, which was refreshing. Didn't say he had accepted (and maybe he hasn't officially; or hasn't signed anything) and he wants to focus on the playoffs. I like it when coaches stay with their team through the season and don't go jump to the new job before that season's business is finished (such as skipping out on a bowl), and I like it when a coach is direct and honest like JMU's Houston was in admitting the Charlotte offer (that is, not saying "we're not going to talk about that right now"). Similarly, I dislike when coaches are fired mid-season like Coach Mac or Scottie -- just let them finish out the season, absent some horrible malfeasance or incompetence (35-0 to WFU qualifies). There's gotta be a way to arrange the bowl and recruiting calendar so coaches can complete every season, then there can be some sort of "open season" on coach movement, then a period for high schoolers to re-think given the movement. Having firings, hirings, signing day, and Christmas all jumbled together is not ideal, in my opinion.

TruBlu
11-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Scottie knows a little about receiving.

Duke receivers could use a little coaching up.

Nah. Makes too much sense.

RaiderDevil
11-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Scottie knows a little about receiving.

Duke receivers could use a little coaching up.

Nah. Makes too much sense.

I think he may have been offered that role with ECU before he was released.

Acymetric
11-29-2018, 02:24 PM
I think he may have been offered that role with ECU before he was released.

Really? There can't be much precedent for that kind of move within the same program. Where did you see/hear that?

budwom
11-29-2018, 02:32 PM
I hear Fedora may be going to Stetson to put in the Chapeau Offense...might just be a rumor, though.

RaiderDevil
11-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Really? There can't be much precedent for that kind of move within the same program. Where did you see/hear that?

Well, I'd hate to get my source in trouble, but someone from ECU not in the program, but involved in the mechanics of decisions like this.

Acymetric
11-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Well, I'd hate to get my source in trouble, but someone from ECU not in the program, but involved in the mechanics of decisions like this.

I'm not trying to doubt you (and certainly don't want you to out your source), it is just a weird thing to offer (for two reasons). One, it would be weird in general for a coach to take a demotion like that and go from HC to position coach at the same school while another coach takes over. If there are examples of this happening elsewhere, they have to be few and far between. Two, if Scottie were interested in returning to the position coach level he could do much better than ECU (no offense to ECU). Dude has impeccable credentials as a WR coach, including NFL experience. No reason he would not at least go to a P5 program, or maybe even back to the NFL. It is just a weird thing for ECU to offer. Making that kind of an offer is almost more of a slap in the face than just firing him straight up for poor performance.

Reilly
11-29-2018, 03:02 PM
I hear Fedora may be going to Stetson to put in the Chapeau Offense...might just be a rumor, though.

I'm guessing rumor, given you're all hat and no cattle. It's not like the Bluebonnet Bowl(er) is still around to try to get to.

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2018, 03:03 PM
I'm not trying to doubt you (and certainly don't want you to out your source), it is just a weird thing to offer (for two reasons). One, it would be weird in general for a coach to take a demotion like that and go from HC to position coach at the same school while another coach takes over. If there are examples of this happening elsewhere, they have to be few and far between. Two, if Scottie were interested in returning to the position coach level he could do much better than ECU (no offense to ECU). Dude has impeccable credentials as a WR coach, including NFL experience. No reason he would not at least go to a P5 program, or maybe even back to the NFL. It is just a weird thing for ECU to offer. Making that kind of an offer is almost more of a slap in the face than just firing him straight up for poor performance.

And on top of that, the new coach might not be so thrilled that he'd have to stick with a guy at a position that he may have wanted to bring in someone else for.

devildeac
11-29-2018, 03:32 PM

May be some truth to that as he ran the Chapeau Hill offense for the last 7 years.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-29-2018, 03:34 PM
I'm guessing rumor, given you're all hat and no cattle. It's not like the Bluebonnet Bowl(er) is still around to try to get to.

Can't top that!

fuse
11-29-2018, 03:44 PM
So what position will Cut offer Scottie?

Reilly
11-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Can't top that!

Thanks-- you could've just tipped your cap to me.

devildeac
11-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Thanks-- you could've just tipped your cap to me.

DBR: always brimming with excitement/compliments

Reilly
11-29-2018, 03:52 PM
DBR: always brimming with excitement/compliments

Visor men than me roam these parts -- I just try to stay on top of things to keep up.

RaiderDevil
11-29-2018, 05:01 PM
And on top of that, the new coach might not be so thrilled that he'd have to stick with a guy at a position that he may have wanted to bring in someone else for.

May have been a goodwill offer as much as anything, after the Ruffin debacle. My friend does a lot with employment law, so there may have been some cya there.

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Visor men than me roam these parts -- I just try to stay on top of things to keep up.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Someone please put a lid on these puns. It’s beanie-th this board.

Reilly
11-29-2018, 08:32 PM
Yarmulke over there and put a lid on you if you try to tam(p) this down.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Yarmulke over there and put a lid on you if you try to tam(p) this down.

time for a night cap....

gocanes0506
11-29-2018, 09:19 PM
I think the original plan was to wait on Scottie’s firing. Either the Houston offer by Charlotte or another somewhere else expedited the situation.

Also, I understand the issue of firing a coach mid season but this was the scheduled end. The early signing period has sped up the process of getting a new coach in.

PackMan97
11-29-2018, 10:32 PM
UNC is filling out their roster with some puzzling hires....First there is retired coach, Greg Robinson who drove Syracuse into the ground and last served as an DC at San Jose State. The other is Tommy Thigpen as a Co-DC who has never been a coordinator in his life.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-Football-Tabs-Greg-Robinson-Tommy-Thigpen-as-Co-Defensive-Coordinators--125566934/

Robinson, 67, coached with Brown at Texas as co-defensive coordinator in 2004 and as a replacement defensive coordinator starting two games into the 2013 season after starting the season as a team analyst. In between those two stints, Robinson was the head coach at Syracuse (2005-08), posting a 5-37 record, and defensive coordinator at Michigan (2009-10).

At Syracuse, Robinson posted two seasons with double-digit losses. The 5-27 mark was the worst record for a non-interim coach in the history of the program. Robinson was 2–25 in Big East play. He was fired at the end of the 2008 season.

Robinson announced his retirement in 2015 after two seasons serving as the defensive coordinator at San Jose State.

Thigpen, who played under Brown at UNC and described his former coach as his mentor in an interview with Inside Carolina this summer, joined Larry Fedora’s coaching staff as the safeties coach in January. He had spent the previous five seasons as the linebackers coach at Tennessee, where he also served as defensive run game coordinator in 2016.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Dre-Bly-Returning-UNC-Football-Assistant-Coach--125585102/

The other announced hire is Dre Bly coming back to town. Most recent coaching experience is as an assistant high school coach. This is his first college coach job.

Both Thigpen and Bly played for Mack Brown in his first go round at UNC. Robinson was previously on staff with Brown at Texas. Looks like Carolina and Brown are "keeping it in the family". Making sure they hire folks they know will uphold the ideals and principles that Carolina holds dear.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2018, 10:40 PM
UNC is filling out their roster with some puzzling hires...First there is retired coach, Greg Robinson who drove Syracuse into the ground and last served as an DC at San Jose State. The other is Tommy Thigpen as a Co-DC who has never been a coordinator in his life.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-Football-Tabs-Greg-Robinson-Tommy-Thigpen-as-Co-Defensive-Coordinators--125566934/

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Dre-Bly-Returning-UNC-Football-Assistant-Coach--125585102/

The other announced hire is Dre Bly coming back to town. Most recent coaching experience is as an assistant high school coach. This is his first college coach job.

Both Thigpen and Bly played for Mack Brown in his first go round at UNC. Robinson was previously on staff with Brown at Texas. Looks like Carolina and Brown are "keeping it in the family". Making sure they hire folks they know will uphold the ideals and principles that Carolina holds dear.

When you buy the old coach out for $12M, the budget is stretched thin I guess.

devildeac
11-29-2018, 10:44 PM
UNC is filling out their roster with some puzzling hires...First there is retired coach, Greg Robinson who drove Syracuse into the ground and last served as an DC at San Jose State. The other is Tommy Thigpen as a Co-DC who has never been a coordinator in his life.

Interesting hires, indeed. I hope they continue their winning ways :rolleyes:.

devildeac
11-29-2018, 10:46 PM
When you buy the old coach out for $12M, the budget is stretched thin I guess.

Not to mention $18M++ on legal and PR fees to escape punishment after 23 years of rampant academic and athletic cheating.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Not to mention $18M++ on legal and PR fees to escape punishment after 23 years of rampant academic and athletic cheating.

True, although that $18M saved them a multiple of that plus some banners.

Love lawyers and hate lawyers — but you get what you pay for. They had great lawyers.

Faustus
11-29-2018, 11:07 PM
This is Carolina's problem - they almost have to keep hiring from within, to retain and perpetuate the 'Carolina System' (which I rather suspect still hasn't really changed - have they ever actually confessed to anything beyond getting caught?). Rank outsiders would quickly start smelling something 'rank'.

duke2x
11-29-2018, 11:38 PM
The Kliff Kingsbury--No UNC rumors are starting to look very credible. UNC's dream staff is really looking like a combination of the nursing home and some "recruiters." I would start looking for Greg Davis (age 67) to come out of retirement for a couple years. Maybe Chris Keldorf or Jason Stanicek can play QB.

TruBlu
11-30-2018, 03:39 AM
Possibly, some of their new assistants have grandsons who are good high school recruits.

Reilly
11-30-2018, 06:57 AM
... a combination of the nursing home and some "recruiters." ...

Maybe in-home visits will be limited to homes with ramps?

TKG
11-30-2018, 07:10 AM
Perhaps Brown can hire Matt Kupec as the QB coach. He knows how to complete a pass - right, Ms. Hansbrough?

budwom
11-30-2018, 09:06 AM
apropos to our heroic Blue Devils (somewhat), George Edwards (defensive coordinator at Minnesota) is being mentioned prominently as a guy who could get a head coaching NFL job this year...

PackMan97
11-30-2018, 01:52 PM
https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Greg-Robinson-No-Longer-Option-for-UNC-Defensive-Coordinator-Role--125626761/

Looks like Robinson won't be the Co-DC for UNC. Thigpen still promoted to Co-DC.

Puzzling times.

Reilly
11-30-2018, 02:24 PM
Charlotte pulled its offer to JMU's Houston, who ECU may be interested in.

A-Tex Devil
11-30-2018, 02:41 PM
The Kliff Kingsbury--No UNC rumors are starting to look very credible. UNC's dream staff is really looking like a combination of the nursing home and some "recruiters." I would start looking for Greg Davis (age 67) to come out of retirement for a couple years. Maybe Chris Keldorf or Jason Stanicek can play QB.

KK to USC, right?

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2018, 02:44 PM
I saw an interview with the JMU coach who has an FCS playoff game this weekend, saying he was offered the Charlotte job, and mentioning how Charlotte was closer to family. He was forthright, which was refreshing. Didn't say he had accepted (and maybe he hasn't officially; or hasn't signed anything) and he wants to focus on the playoffs. I like it when coaches stay with their team through the season and don't go jump to the new job before that season's business is finished (such as skipping out on a bowl), and I like it when a coach is direct and honest like JMU's Houston was in admitting the Charlotte offer (that is, not saying "we're not going to talk about that right now").n.

Wonder if those two stories are related.

Reilly
11-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Wonder if those two stories are related.

The Charlotte AD released a statement. It sounds like Houston to Charlotte was pretty much a done deal, not signed, and then Houston told Charlotte he wanted to explore other opportunities, so Charlotte pulled its offer (and made that public).

HereBeforeCoachK
11-30-2018, 06:50 PM
The Charlotte AD released a statement. It sounds like Houston to Charlotte was pretty much a done deal, not signed, and then Houston told Charlotte he wanted to explore other opportunities, so Charlotte pulled its offer (and made that public).

Good move by the Charlotte AD, to stick up for his school. Dumb, and low class, move by Houston. He shoulda seen the Montgomery opening coming........everyone else did.

brevity
11-30-2018, 07:25 PM

Andy Staples mentioned Mike Houston's interest floating from Charlotte to ECU on ESPNU Radio this afternoon. His theory: "I wonder if this is BBQ-related."

HereBeforeCoachK
11-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Andy Staples mentioned Mike Houston's interest floating from Charlotte to ECU on ESPNU Radio this afternoon. His theory: "I wonder if this is BBQ-related."

That is a GREEEAAT line! Wish I'd said it. And oh BTW, Eastern NC BBQ by a mile.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Houston hired by ECU today. I wonder if his announcing about going to Charlotte is why ECU fired Scottie two days before their game vs. State. They must have had their eyes on him.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Oh this will be so satisfying to watch cheater fans bemoan the choice to bring back Mack and let Satterfield slip away.

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/2183803002 (https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/2183803002)

brevity
12-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Oh this will be so satisfying to watch cheater fans bemoan the choice to bring back Mack and let Satterfield slip away.

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/2183803002 (https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/2183803002)

It is stunning to me how Louisville can be dragged through the mud with Petrino, Pitino, Papa John, and NCAA violations in the past couple of years and still emerge with Chris Mack coaching men’s basketball and Scott Satterfield coaching football. Two guys, I should note, who have no ties to Louisville and could have been hired anywhere.

I want to say “well done” and “I don’t see the appeal” at the same time.

fuse
12-03-2018, 09:25 PM
App State Satterfield to Louisville seems to be making the rounds on the rumour mill.

Not specific to this situation, it would be nice to see instead of a rush to break a story, “get the scoop”, that the media allow coaches and schools to finish their season before whatever is next.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-03-2018, 09:46 PM
App State Satterfield to Louisville seems to be making the rounds on the rumour mill.

Not specific to this situation, it would be nice to see instead of a rush to break a story, “get the scoop”, that the media allow coaches and schools to finish their season before whatever is next.

I believe this is way past rumor stage. Great hire for Louisville....makes two for them recently (as another poster above noted).

BigWayne
12-04-2018, 07:38 PM
KK to USC, right?

Looks like he will in fact be going to USC. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25451253/usc-trojans-hire-kliff-kingsbury-offensive-coordinator)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Looks like he will in fact be going to USC. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25451253/usc-trojans-hire-kliff-kingsbury-offensive-coordinator)

Kingsbury at USC for OC seems like it's gonna work out real good. (then again, I thought when USC hired the author of Dunk City in basketball - that it would work out great for USC. Hasn't thus far.

nmduke2001
12-04-2018, 10:43 PM
Mike Locksley to be named new Maryland coach.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/maryland-names-alabama-offensive-coordinator-mike-locksley-next-terrapins-football-coach/

Locksley was a train wreck as head coach at New Mexico. He punched an assistant coach and threaten a reporter from the student paper after following the student into a bar. The reporter had written an article critical of the program. After leaving UNM he rehabilitated his career and earlier today won coordinator of the year for his work as Alabama OC. Apparently, he’s well known in the DC area and recruits well there.

Reilly
12-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Hugh Freeze to Liberty. https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/hugh-freeze-introduced-at-liberty-i-ve-made-decisions-that/article_da62a4b1-7355-5544-9cce-81b456d57b49.html

Geoff Collins to GT.

budwom
12-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Hugh Freeze to Liberty. https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/hugh-freeze-introduced-at-liberty-i-ve-made-decisions-that/article_da62a4b1-7355-5544-9cce-81b456d57b49.html

Geoff Collins to GT.

Hugh of the escort service obsession going to Liberty, ha. Some cringeworthy comments he's made there already, I won't dare share on this forum.

Green Wave Dukie
12-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Hearing rumblings out of Fargo that the Wildcats are very seriously talking to Bison coach Chris Kleiman. Real serious. Daughter GWD is in grad school there. I've got tickets for she & I to go to the FCS championship game in Friscoe, TX.

BigWayne
12-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Hearing rumblings out of Fargo that the Wildcats are very seriously talking to Bison coach Chris Kleiman. Real serious. Daughter GWD is in grad school there. I've got tickets for she & I to go to the FCS championship game in Friscoe, TX.

Your rumblings turned into reality. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25503179/kansas-state-hires-north-dakota-state-chris-klieman-head-coach)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Seems like a great hire for KSU......I think Snyder can safely stay retired this go round.....

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Appalachian State hires Eliah Drinkwitz. (Was NCSU OC)

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/app-state-hires-drinkwitz-to-be-next-football-coach/18062164/

PackMan97
12-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Appalachian State hires Eliah Drinkwitz. (Was NCSU OC)

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/app-state-hires-drinkwitz-to-be-next-football-coach/18062164/

Big loss for State, but I have confidence in Doeren getting a good replacement. Having your coordinators hired away as head coaches is a good thing ;) (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

Acymetric
12-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Big loss for State, but I have confidence in Doeren getting a good replacement. Having your coordinators hired away as head coaches is a good thing ;) (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

Touchy subject for Duke fans ;)

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Hope it works out better for Drink than it did for Scottie.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Hope it works out better for Drink than it did for Scottie.

I really liked Scottie Mo...and he was a great WR coach....but I thought he was over his head as QB coach / OC at Duke - and was relieved when ECU hired him away. I held out very little hope he was ready to be a HC....though I think one day he will be.

As for Drink, not playing State, I don't follow them much. Not sure what State nation thinks of this...meanwhile, App State has record of hiring good coaches.

MChambers
12-13-2018, 07:08 PM
Alabama hires Durkin as a "consultant".

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-durkin-alabama-report-1213-story.html

Green Wave Dukie
12-13-2018, 07:19 PM

Latest rumblings are NDSU will replace former Coach Kleiman with defensive coordinator Matt Entz.

What is also interesting is that they have already announced that Kleiman is staying on to coach the remainder of the playoffs - tomorrow night versus arch rival SDSU, and then hopefully the championship game in Friscoe, TX 1/5/19. Guess AD was not trained by Bo Schembechler.

chrishoke
12-17-2018, 12:38 PM
NC State hires Kurt Roper as Quarterbacks Coach.
https://packinsider.com/2018/12/17/release-kurt-roper-named-nc-states-new-quarterbacks-coach/

killerleft
12-17-2018, 12:56 PM
https://packinsider.com/2018/12/17/release-kurt-roper-named-nc-states-new-quarterbacks-coach/

What that story reaffirms for me is just how great Thaddeus Lewis was for Duke. I still occasionally wear my Duke t-shirt with Thad's number nine on it. It's old and beat up. Thad's not old, but he was certainly hit more times than most quarterbacks ever got hit in college. And still put up great numbers. Chuck Norris, step aside. Thad was tougher.

Will Kurt Roper help steal some players we would otherwise get? He knows the territory and still has connections, I'm sure.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Roper's game plan and play calling for the Texas A&M game was fabulous.....Duke's never hit that stride since.

Spanarkel
12-17-2018, 01:46 PM
Alabama hires Durkin as a "consultant".

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-durkin-alabama-report-1213-story.html

Does anyone know why UM apparently classified Durkin's termination as "fired without cause," thereby allowing him to claim $5.4 million in salary/benefits? Thank you!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know why UM apparently classified Durkin's termination as "fired without cause," thereby allowing him to claim $5.4 million in salary/benefits? Thank you!
Perhaps to pay for his attending Nick Saban's Coaches' Rehab Clinic.....;)

PackMan97
12-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Their athletic department has already admitted they messed up and was at fault, so I doubt it was a legal issue. Sometimes it's best to play the UNC defense and admit doing nothing wrong, but Maryland was very clear that they messed up very early on in this case.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/big-ten/2018/08/14/maryland-takes-responsibility-mistakes-death-jordan-mcnair/992300002/

I suppose they allowed the Roy Williams defense of, "I know nothing" since this happened when Durkin wasn't present.

sagegrouse
12-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Just a guess -- it was a negotiated settlement. "Fired for cause" would have meant no money and Maryland, as a state school, would not have had a basis to make agreed-upon payments

budwom
12-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Let me know when they carousel us a new offensive line coach.

Faustus
12-17-2018, 03:09 PM
(Was kinda hoping Kurt Roper would come back here...)

HereBeforeCoachK
12-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Just a guess -- it was a negotiated settlement. "Fired for cause" would have meant no money and Maryland, as a state school, would not have had a basis to make agreed-upon payments

Yep, may have been 12-15 million settlement without that....but of course, everyone knows it WAS for cause...

Reilly
12-23-2018, 03:25 AM
Grading the various hires: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaching-carousel-winners-and-losers-grading-every-2018-college-football-hire-and-beyond/

BigWayne
12-28-2018, 02:38 AM
Ted Roof heading to App St. as DC. (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article223640710.html) He and the new head coach were both assistants at NCSU this year.

tux
12-30-2018, 01:04 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25646173/miami-coach-mark-richt-announces-retirement

OldPhiKap
12-30-2018, 01:15 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25646173/miami-coach-mark-richt-announces-retirement

Wow, did not see that coming.

TKG
12-30-2018, 01:30 PM

Wonder if Urban Meyer’s phone will ring?

jhmoss1812
12-30-2018, 01:44 PM

You guys won 3 ACC games this year - Miami, UNC, GT. All of their coaches are now gone LOL. Nice work!

HereBeforeCoachK
12-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Wow, did not see that coming.

I didn't see it coming, but I knew Cane nation wanted him gone. He looked bored himself frankly.

Bob Green
12-30-2018, 01:54 PM
From the linked article:

Former Miami coach Butch Davis, who guided Florida International to a 9-4 record this past season, is expected to be among the candidates Miami could consider.

The prospect of Butch Davis being back in the ACC does not excite me.

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2018, 01:59 PM
From the linked article:

Butch vs Mack would be hyped.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Perhaps Manny Diaz wishes he'd waited a little longer regarding his next job.;)

PDDuke85
12-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Perhaps Manny Diaz wishes he'd waited a little longer regarding his next job.;)

Miami hires an old retread for 2-3 years while Diaz cuts his teeth at Temple.

Diaz then gets his “dream job” and Foley gets another Bowl Game gig.

devildeac
12-30-2018, 02:46 PM

Well, it is a coaching *turnover*:rolleyes::o.

devildeac
12-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Wonder if Urban Meyer’s phone will ring?

I'd venture a guess but it might violate his (HIPAA) privacy...

devildeac
12-30-2018, 02:49 PM
You guys won 3 ACC games this year - Miami, UNC, GT. All of their coaches are now gone LOL. Nice work!

Now that there is funny stuff. ;)

TKG
12-30-2018, 02:52 PM

A variation on the Duke curse making its way to football......

devildeac
12-30-2018, 03:03 PM

This video is rather dated but hopefully at least one other person finds it amusing:o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQhExsGwD4

jhmoss1812
12-30-2018, 03:16 PM
This video is rather dated but hopefully at least one other person finds it amusing:o:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQhExsGwD4

LMAO this is incredible. How have I never seen this before???

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2018, 03:20 PM
Major Applewhite fired by Houston. (After only 2 years as HC.)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25646595/houston-cougars-fire-major-applewhite-2-seasons

HereBeforeCoachK
12-30-2018, 03:32 PM
A variation on the Duke curse making its way to football...

....a variation on the Jim Grobe factor?

PackMan97
12-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Wow...now you get fired for losing bowl games. I remember when you only got fired for being really bad.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Wow...now you get fired for losing bowl games. I remember when you only got fired for being really bad.

Well that was before two thirds of all teams made bowl games...or whatever that percentage is now.

And if you are referring to Richt.....that was never a good match. I know Richt played at the U - but Richt's entire image has been the antithesis of the U's entire image. The U is not interested in changing to match Richt, and Richt was never going to be a thug coach nor run a thug program.

Like Charlie Strong at Texas, Will Muschamp at Florida, etc....the school/program and the coach have to match for it to really work out. Duke is lucky at the moment because the two coaches of the two major programs are indeed good matches for Duke. Obviously K could win anywhere, but I think Duke is where he would succeed the most, and I think that's one reason he never left. The match was perfect.

devildeac
12-30-2018, 06:13 PM
LMAO this is incredible. How have I never seen this before???

Quite a number of these exist with one of the funniest lampooning "u"nc's cheating.

I'd post the one about Hitler discussing UVA's loss to UMBC, however, it contains an incredible amount of profanity, but you can always Google it...

duke2x
12-30-2018, 07:49 PM

"You Can Never Go Home Again" -- James Bonk (on chemical equilibrium), aptly borrowed from Thomas Wolfe. I didn't think much of Davis at UNC, but he does wow the message board fan quite well.

Reilly
12-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Manny Diaz to Miami.

Reilly
12-30-2018, 11:04 PM
From Twitter:

R.L. Bynum

@RL_Bynum
11m11 minutes ago
More
Temple will lose a head coach to an ACC school twice this month: Geoff Collins left Dec. 7 to coach Georgia Tech and, reportedly, Manny Diaz (named Temple coach on Dec. 13) will leave for Miami.

Avvocato
12-30-2018, 11:18 PM
ESPN’s story on Manny Diaz leaving Temple before coaching a game to take over at Miami. Tough few days for Temple.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25651267/miami-hires-ex-assistant-manny-diaz-replace-mark-richt-coach

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Miami hires an old retread for 2-3 years while Diaz cuts his teeth at Temple.

Diaz then gets his “dream job” and Foley gets another Bowl Game gig.

No retreads for Miami. Diaz agreed within hours of Richt's announcement it seems. Even if he has a learning curve to go through, Manny is a better choice than a recycled Butch Davis.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 07:47 AM
ESPN’s story on Manny Diaz leaving Temple before coaching a game to take over at Miami. Tough few days for Temple.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25651267/miami-hires-ex-assistant-manny-diaz-replace-mark-richt-coach

Yeah, really tough on Temple. And what do they do now with Foley? The guy is not head coach material IMO, but they may have to give him a two year contract now to save face.

As for Diaz, like he said, nobody saw the Richt announcement coming. If anyone had, Diaz would've never said yes to Temple.

budwom
12-31-2018, 09:08 AM
Yeah, really tough on Temple. And what do they do now with Foley? The guy is not head coach material IMO, but they may have to give him a two year contract now to save face.

As for Diaz, like he said, nobody saw the Richt announcement coming. If anyone had, Diaz would've never said yes to Temple.

They evidently want Schiano, or at least a lot of their fans do.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 09:12 AM

I wonder how much that bowl blowout had to do with it. Miami sure as heck didn't show up.

And I was excited about being done with that stupid turnover chain . . . .

Spanarkel
12-31-2018, 09:26 AM
Well that was before two thirds of all teams made bowl games...or whatever that percentage is now.

And if you are referring to Richt....that was never a good match. I know Richt played at the U - but Richt's entire image has been the antithesis of the U's entire image. The U is not interested in changing to match Richt, and Richt was never going to be a thug coach nor run a thug program.

Like Charlie Strong at Texas, Will Muschamp at Florida, etc...the school/program and the coach have to match for it to really work out. Duke is lucky at the moment because the two coaches of the two major programs are indeed good matches for Duke. Obviously K could win anywhere, but I think Duke is where he would succeed the most, and I think that's one reason he never left. The match was perfect.

Under Mark Richt, UGA was tied for 3rd in players arrested over the period 2010-2015.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/college-football-arrests-2015/

dbcooper
12-31-2018, 10:41 AM
With the recent Head Football Coaching "trend" - I thought Miami would have surely re-hired Jimmy Johnson out of retirement.:confused::cool::rolleyes: LMAO!!

Go Duke!

BigWayne
12-31-2018, 12:28 PM
I wonder how much that bowl blowout had to do with it. Miami sure as heck didn't show up.

And I was excited about being done with that stupid turnover chain . . . .

Well, with it having appeared while Diaz was the DC, I don't think it's going anywhere.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2018, 12:31 PM
Well, with it having appeared while Diaz was the DC, I don't think it's going anywhere.

Exactly, it’s his baby.

Reilly
12-31-2018, 01:36 PM
I like the turnover chain. I find it funny, schlocky, inspiring, goofy, and in good fun.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 01:42 PM
Under Mark Richt, UGA was tied for 3rd in players arrested over the period 2010-2015.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/college-football-arrests-2015/

Well that's an interesting stat, but Richt's Georgia teams didn't project the image the U teams of the past did, not even close.

As to the arrests, I mean, we know the cops simply look the other way in certain towns (Lexington, Tallahassee, etc)....so I don't know that you can read too much into that.

devilseven
12-31-2018, 03:48 PM
Well that's an interesting stat, but Richt's Georgia teams didn't project the image the U teams of the past did, not even close.

As to the arrests, I mean, we know the cops simply look the other way in certain towns (Lexington, Tallahassee, etc)...so I don't know that you can read too much into that.

You forgot chapel hill.

Pghdukie
12-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Anyone know where Rich Rodriguez landed ? I vaguely remember him interviewing for an OC job.
Thanks in advance.

Bob Green
12-31-2018, 03:57 PM
Anyone know where Rich Rodriguez landed ? I vaguely remember him interviewing for an OC job.
Thanks in advance.

Ole Miss

DangerDevil
12-31-2018, 03:59 PM

Definitely some turbulence for Temple but they will apparently get $6.5m ($4m for Diaz and $2.5m for Collins) between the two buyouts to soften the blow and help pay whoever they bring in next.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Definitely some turbulence for Temple but they will apparently get $6.5m ($4m for Diaz and $2.5m for Collins) between the two buyouts to soften the blow and help pay whoever they bring in next.

So Temple earned about 2 million a week for Diaz' employment....amazing....

Bob Green
01-02-2019, 05:03 PM
Manny Diaz has fired the entire offensive coaching staff at Miami:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25667791/manny-diaz-new-miami-hurricanes-coach-lets-go-entire-offensive-staff

OldPhiKap
01-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Manny Diaz has fired the entire offensive coaching staff at Miami:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25667791/manny-diaz-new-miami-hurricanes-coach-lets-go-entire-offensive-staff

"The Purge" is not just a movie.

Reilly
01-12-2019, 12:32 AM
NIU's coach to Temple in a move involving our last two bowl opponents.

Duke has played six different schools in the past seven seasons in a bowl. None of the six head coaches of our bowl opponents is still the head coach of that school. Two (Cincy; Temple) were interim to begin with, but the other four (TXAM; ArizSt; Indiana; NIU) no longer have their bowl coach against Duke as the head man.

camion
01-12-2019, 08:22 AM
NIU's coach to Temple in a move involving our last two bowl opponents.

Duke has played six different schools in the past seven seasons in a bowl. None of the six head coaches of our bowl opponents is still the head coach of that school. Two (Cincy; Temple) were interim to begin with, but the other four (TXAM; ArizSt; Indiana; NIU) no longer have their bowl coach against Duke as the head man.

Is there some football version of the Duke Curse at work here? :eek: