PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Auburn (Tue Nov 20, 8 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Next up, Auburn. Since DaughterPK goes to Alabama this will be hard for me to say something nice. But here goes:

Any school that produced Charles Barkley can’t be all bad.

JasonEvans
11-19-2018, 07:32 PM
I love that after Auburn went to OT against Xavier, we got to rest our starters a ton against SDSU. That could matter late in the game tomorrow.

weezie
11-19-2018, 07:32 PM
In support of DaughterPK, we will roll those pikers of auburn.

See what I did there? :cool:

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 07:34 PM
In support of DaughterPK, we will roll those pikers of auburn.

See what I did there? :cool:

I did, and I smiled!

I did not see any of the Auburn game, so all observations welcome.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Auburn was chartered on February 1, 1856, as East Alabama Male College, a private liberal arts school. In 1872, it became the state's first public land-grant university and was renamed as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1960, after several more name changes, its name was changed to Auburn University.

After playing two schools in a row that started as “normal schools,” I guess this makes our first abnormal opponent in a while. As far as I know, no actual Aztecs attended Auburn.

They are known as the Tigers and their mascot is named Aubie. They also yell “War Eagle” though, joining UVA as a school that has commitment issues when it comes to a mascot and marketing. They generally hate their football coach and would buy him out if it were not a bajillion bucks to do so.

The basketball coach is Bruce Pearl, which means they will be vacating their wins at some point in the future.

Let’s give a big howdy-ho to our new friends from Auburn!

fuse
11-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Current KenPom stats suggest this will be quite a game.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Auburn was chartered on February 1, 1856, as East Alabama Male College, a private liberal arts school. In 1872, it became the state's first public land-grant university and was renamed as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1960, after several more name changes, its name was changed to Auburn University.

After playing two schools in a row that started as “normal schools,” I guess this makes our first abnormal opponent in a while. As far as I know, no actual Aztecs attended Auburn.

They are known as the Tigers and their mascot is named Aubie. They also yell “War Eagle” though, joining UVA as a school that has commitment issues when it comes to a mascot and marketing. They generally hate their football coach and would buy him out if it were not a bajillion bucks to do so.

The basketball coach is Bruce Pearl, which means they will be vacating their wins at some point in the future.

Funny synopsis, thanks for that. But you have to include Georgia Tech into the mascot and marketing obfuscation and confusing, and Virginia Tech as well....Yellow Jackets, Ramblin Wreck, Gobblers, Hokies, etc...

PackMan97
11-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Don't forget the tarheel feet and their sheep.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 08:31 PM
Don't forget the tarheel feet and their sheep.

I keep trying though.

AGDukesky
11-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Auburn’s two biggest scorers against Xavier played 43 and 42 minutes. No one else had more than 31, but the Tigers look like only 8 guys play. With no starters playing more than 26 and only Superman Aussie getting 29 minutes, Duke should be a bit more fresh down the stretch if needed.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Auburn’s two biggest scorers against Xavier played 43 and 42 minutes. No one else had more than 31, but the Tigers look like only 8 guys play. With no starters playing more than 26 and only Superman Aussie getting 29 minutes, Duke should be a bit more fresh down the stretch if needed.

Aussie v. Aubie — nice.

DavidBenAkiva
11-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Should be a heck of a matchup. A part of me thinks that Auburn got caught looking ahead to Duke and came out a little flat against Xavier. Kudos to the X-men for taking advantage and almost pulling the upset. The Tigers present a much more potent matchup for Duke.

The backcourt is quite good. Jared Harper is a 5'1" dynamo. He had one of the best in-game dunks of the year (non-Zion category) late in the game today. He can really shoot the ball, too. He's made 48% of his 25 3-pt attempts so far this year. Senior shooting guard Bryce Brown is another shooter, as is most of the team. Tre Jones will have his hands full containing Harper. After the job he did on Devin Waton of San Diego St., the young Jones appears up to the task. Reddish and Barrett, when matched up with Brown, will have a significant size advantage.

One thing that sets the Tigers apart from other opponents that Duke will face is the number of good, athletic wings. They might have the kind of personnel to match up with Duke on the wings. Anfernee McLemore is a heck of a defender. Chuma Okeke and Malik Dunbar are also good athletes that can get out and run as well as knock down some shots from the perimeter.

After a big-time scare against Xavier, I expect Auburn to come out with intensity. This is their shot at Duke. They have talent and experience. Duke is going to have to match that focus early and play intelligent basketball. If Tre Jones can continue his impressive play against Harper, Duke will have a good shot at knocking off another Top 10 team from the SEC tomorrow.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Should be a heck of a matchup. A part of me thinks that Auburn got caught looking ahead to Duke and came out a little flat against Xavier. Kudos to the X-men for taking advantage and almost pulling the upset. The Tigers present a much more potent matchup for Duke.

The backcourt is quite good. Jared Harper is a 5'1" dynamo. He had one of the best in-game dunks of the year (non-Zion category) late in the game today. He can really shoot the ball, too. He's made 48% of his 25 3-pt attempts so far this year. Senior shooting guard Bryce Brown is another shooter, as is most of the team. Tre Jones will have his hands full containing Harper. After the job he did on Devin Waton of San Diego St., the young Jones appears up to the task. Reddish and Barrett, when matched up with Brown, will have a significant size advantage.

One thing that sets the Tigers apart from other opponents that Duke will face is the number of good, athletic wings. They might have the kind of personnel to match up with Duke on the wings. Anfernee McLemore is a heck of a defender. Chuma Okeke and Malik Dunbar are also good athletes that can get out and run as well as knock down some shots from the perimeter.

After a big-time scare against Xavier, I expect Auburn to come out with intensity. This is their shot at Duke. They have talent and experience. Duke is going to have to match that focus early and play intelligent basketball. If Tre Jones can continue his impressive play against Harper, Duke will have a good shot at knocking off another Top 10 team from the SEC tomorrow.

Thanks for this, and agree — this should be a fun game.

kako
11-19-2018, 09:20 PM
For all the hype that SEC basketball is getting, the fact of the matter is that Auburn is pretty good. They beat a solid Washington team by 20 earlier this season. I wouldn't expect Duke to look past the Tigers, and I'm sure K and the staff will avoid this. But it will be a pretty good test. Like Duke, they can put up some points. So it could be a high scoring game.

-K

JasonEvans
11-19-2018, 09:37 PM
I'm very interested in seeing what the line will be. In terms of the quality of the teams, I would think it would be about Duke-3.5 or so, but I suspect there will be a good bit of "everyone is in love with Duke" bias that makes the line more like Duke -6.5. If it is closer to 8 or 10, the sharps in Vegas will see a real opportunity to make some cash.

weezie
11-19-2018, 09:39 PM
All due respect to our esteemed posters and to KenPom...Auburn? I don't think so.

UrinalCake
11-19-2018, 09:59 PM

Flip side is that Auburn got to play in the earlier game, so they get two hours more rest in between games. I doubt fatigue is a big factor though. It will set in on the third day, but tomorrow their players will be running on adrenaline.

BandAlum83
11-20-2018, 12:08 AM

Definitely a spork-worthy clause right there, OPK!

gocanes0506
11-20-2018, 12:26 AM
Yea have to agree, as much as Auburn wants to be the best they don’t hide their blatant cheating well.

On a serious note:
Pearl plays a high energy, positionless game as much as possible. He typically recruits big time athletes that scare other teams away. His teams are able to beat most teams but also capable of laying large eggs, NCAA tournament game is a prime example.

Duke needs to play solid defense early and stay out of foul trouble. Auburn should attack the basket so minimizing fouls will be huge. Getting them into foul trouble early and making free throws will be huge. Also being able to survive Pearl’s wrinkle he throws out early. He seems to have something new for big games to spark his team. Do we see a pack line D to prevent the drive or realy tight D to force the refs to make calls?

Secondary scoring and rebounds. Get it done Jack and company.

Billy Dat
11-20-2018, 07:08 AM

I'll echo all the sentiments about Harper...but you missed a 1 on that height. 5'11" throwing it down in traffic is insane, and this dude is a tough little SOB, but he aint representing the Lollipop Guild.

I was impressed by Auburn...they have the athletes and the size. Their shooting was erratic, but those Maui rims are so soft that even average teams can shoot well.

arnie
11-20-2018, 07:08 AM
The backcourt is quite good. Jared Harper is a 5'1" dynamo. He had one of the best in-game dunks of the year (non-Zion category) late in the game today. He can really shoot the ball, too. He's made 48% of his 25 3-pt attempts so far this year. Senior shooting guard Bryce Brown is another shooter, as is most of the team. Tre Jones will have his hands full containing Harper. After the job he did on Devin Waton of San Diego St., the young Jones appears up to the task. Reddish and Barrett, when matched up with Brown, will have a significant size.

Harper must have 50” or better vertical. Two inches shorter than Mugsy Bogues and a great in-game dunk😀

DavidBenAkiva
11-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Harper must have 50” or better vertical. Two inches shorter than Mugsy Bogues and a great in-game dunk��

He's so short, he made a quotation mark look like a 1. Anyway, here is the dunk in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkneAMUlek4

Troublemaker
11-20-2018, 09:32 AM
I'm very interested in seeing what the line will be. In terms of the quality of the teams, I would think it would be about Duke-3.5 or so, but I suspect there will be a good bit of "everyone is in love with Duke" bias that makes the line more like Duke -6.5

The line is still not out yet as of the time of this post. I think it'll be Duke -8.5. The kenpom line is 6 and then you add a Duke tax to it, as you mentioned.

If it is closer to 8 or 10, the sharps in Vegas will see a real opportunity to make some cash.

Hey, I'm sharp (see the standings of the degenerate picking contest :-), and there's no way I'm touching Auburn in this one. The situational factors matter as much as the quality of teams, and the fact is that Auburn expended much more energy than Duke to win yesterday. The Tigers are also not necessarily all that confident right now, having been taken to overtime by a team that they saw on film get whooped at home by Wisconsin.

It's Duke or no play tonight in the degenerate contest. For me at least.

Troublemaker
11-20-2018, 09:51 AM
He's so short, he made a quotation mark look like a 1. Anyway, here is the dunk in question:

This play exemplifies the reason I've been looking forward to this matchup; Auburn is the best test for Duke's defense thus far. They spread you out as in that play (sometimes putting 5 shooters on the floor) and play pick-n-roll, and they have that quick athletic point guard that has given us (and most teams, to be fair) problems in the past. Can this Duke team guard spread PNR run by a high quality opposing PG? Other Duke teams have struggled with that.

It'll be interesting to see how we play Harper. Marques will probably hedge, and then it becomes whether we can rotate behind him well enough to cover both roller and shooters. Javin, Zion, and Jack will most likely just switch on to Harper, and then can they hold up 1-on-1? Vrank probably doesn't play in this game.

Utley
11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Totally psyched for this game but my Thanksgiving logistics have me traveling by car during it. Anyone know how to listen/stream the game. I tried to search but couldn’t find anything.

jv001
11-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Totally psyched for this game but my Thanksgiving logistics have me traveling by car during it. Anyone know how to listen/stream the game. I tried to search but couldn’t find anything.

Do you have Sirus/XM radio, if so, it will be on the ACC Network(I think). GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Do you have Sirus/XM radio, if so, it will be on the ACC Network(I think). GoDuke!

Yesterday's game was on XM 194 for car radio -- a different channel for web streaming. So I am sure today's is on as well.

Troublemaker
11-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Here's the TuneIn link so you can listen on your phone, too: https://tunein.com/radio/Blue-Devil-IMG-Sports-Network-(Duke)-s230308/

May have to download a TuneIn app -- not sure

JasonEvans
11-20-2018, 10:40 AM
I'm very interested in seeing what the line will be. In terms of the quality of the teams, I would think it would be about Duke-3.5 or so, but I suspect there will be a good bit of "everyone is in love with Duke" bias that makes the line more like Duke -6.5. If it is closer to 8 or 10, the sharps in Vegas will see a real opportunity to make some cash.

Wow, the Duke effect is in full force and then some! The line has opened at 10.5. That's a massive line for a pair of top-10 teams playing on a neutral floor. The O/U is a massive 162.

By comparison, Gonzaga is a 9.5 point pick over a very mediocre Arizona team. Duke is a bigger favorite over Auburn than Gonzaga is over Arizona... that's insane!

Troublemaker
11-20-2018, 10:41 AM
It'll be interesting to see how we play Harper. Marques will probably hedge, and then it becomes whether we can rotate behind him well enough to cover both roller and shooters. Javin, Zion, and Jack will most likely just switch on to Harper, and then can they hold up 1-on-1? Vrank probably doesn't play in this game.

Oh, forgot to mention. We should have Tre and our other perimeter players force Harper to one side (to Harper's left since he's a righty), which simplifies rotations. On defensive rotations, particularly on ball screens, your responsibilities are different depending on whether you're ballside or weakside, so if the man guarding the ballhandler forces him in one direction, it predetermines what roles the help defenders are in and thus simplifies and reduces thinking. That's why I'm a fan of icing in general, and all side PNRs should be iced.

On the other end of the court, Duke is one of the best ballhandling and driving teams in the country, and so theoretically we're a nightmare matchup for Auburn's pressure defense. The test for Duke should be on the defensive side of the court.

jv001
11-20-2018, 10:48 AM
Wow, the Duke effect is in full force and then some! The line has opened at 10.5. That's a massive line for a pair of top-10 teams playing on a neutral floor. The O/U is a massive 162.

By comparison, Gonzaga is a 9.5 point pick over a very mediocre Arizona team. Duke is a bigger favorite over Auburn than Gonzaga is over Arizona... that's insane!

Wow is right. 86-76 Duke sound about right? GoDuke!

uh_no
11-20-2018, 10:53 AM
All due respect to our esteemed posters and to KenPom...Auburn? I don't think so.

don't undersell the value of an upperclassmen laden team.

cato
11-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Here's the TuneIn link so you can listen on your phone, too: https://tunein.com/radio/Blue-Devil-IMG-Sports-Network-(Duke)-s230308/

I use the TuneIn app and stream from my phone to the car

Billy Dat
11-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Oh, forgot to mention. We should have Tre and our other perimeter players force Harper to one side (to Harper's left since he's a righty), which simplifies rotations. On defensive rotations, particularly on ball screens, your responsibilities are different depending on whether you're ballside or weakside, so if the man guarding the ballhandler forces him in one direction, it predetermines what roles the help defenders are in and thus simplifies and reduces thinking. That's why I'm a fan of icing in general, and all side PNRs should be iced.

On the other end of the court, Duke is one of the best ballhandling and driving teams in the country, and so theoretically we're a nightmare matchup for Auburn's pressure defense. The test for Duke should be on the defensive side of the court.

In the "Earn Everything" ESPN series about the team, K and the Coaches are seen talking about Cam's tendency to leave the corner 3 man when the attacking ballhandler beats the first line of defense. They don't want him to ever leave that shooter, instead relying on help from the weak side. Cam says he was coached a completely different approach in his pre-Duke teams so it's been a hard habit to break. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out tonight.

don't undersell the value of an upperclassmen laden team.

I'd add to this, the "Duke gets everyone's best game" theory should be on steroids this year. I am sure these Auburn dudes want to show the world that they can hang with these freshmen studs. Considering that every Duke game is being watched by tons of pro scouts, it's an amazing platform for any opponent. I am sure everyone wants to run off the court yelling, "We shook up the world!" ala El Amin in St Pete in April 99.

53n206
11-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Why do we have so many references to '99? I was on vacation in Cabo and it made for a very unpleasant evening. Let's have this the last reference to'99.

cato
11-20-2018, 02:06 PM
It looks like Duke is the first game tonight. Anyone know if the tip will be at 5:00 Pacific, or will it actually be a bit later?

DavidBenAkiva
11-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Why do we have so many references to '99? I was on vacation in Cabo and it made for a very unpleasant evening. Let's have this the last reference to'99.

Small world, I think I was also in Cabo for vacation in '99. We watched the Women lose on Sunday and said "Oh well, I guess we'll only get to celebrate one National Championship this year." Oops.

Troublemaker
11-20-2018, 02:46 PM
It looks like Duke is the first game tonight. Anyone know if the tip will be at 5:00 Pacific, or will it actually be a bit later?

My guess is closer to 5:00 Pacific because the schedulemakers actually gave a 3 hour buffer between the scheduled tip of the previous game and the scheduled tip of the Duke game.

Troublemaker
11-20-2018, 02:57 PM

More on Duke's O vs Auburn's D. Auburn ball pressures, but unlike how Duke has generally played it the past two decades, Auburn will liberally help off 3-pt shooters behind the ball pressure to disrupt drivers. (Auburn's defense generally allows very high 3PA% against). Many of Auburn's steals come not from the original ball-pressurer but from wings digging in on the driver to strip him. We have to be strong with the ball, recognize the help, and kick the ball to the open 3-pt shooter. Likewise, we have to avoid charges taken from wing defenders (another source of turnovers) and kick the ball to open shooters. Finally, Auburn has a bevy of shotblockers at the rim. You can think of it like a third and final line of defense. 1. Ball pressure, 2. Wing dig, 3. Shotblocker. Our drivers have to use good footwork and go into the shotblocker to create space for our rim finishes.

Thankfully, I think our guys can do all of the things I mentioned. Auburn's a good defense that will disrupt a lot of good teams with their scheme. But they're going against one of the best ball-handling, driving, and passing teams in the country in Duke.

Billy Dat
11-20-2018, 03:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs

I'll never put on a lifejacket again.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-20-2018, 03:03 PM

Greatest four minutes in American film IMO...apparently the actor Dreyfus was just as spellbound as the character "Hooper" was listening to Quint (Robert Shaw). Shaw wrote the final version himself. (Now back to your regularly scheduled basketball thread).

DavidBenAkiva
11-20-2018, 03:19 PM
More on Duke's O vs Auburn's D. Auburn ball pressures, but unlike how Duke has generally played it the past two decades, Auburn will liberally help off 3-pt shooters behind the ball pressure to disrupt drivers. (Auburn's defense generally allows very high 3PA% against). Many of Auburn's steals come not from the original ball-pressurer but from wings digging in on the driver to strip him. We have to be strong with the ball, recognize the help, and kick the ball to the open 3-pt shooter. Likewise, we have to avoid charges taken from wing defenders (another source of turnovers) and kick the ball to open shooters. Finally, Auburn has a bevy of shotblockers at the rim. You can think of it like a third and final line of defense. 1. Ball pressure, 2. Wing dig, 3. Shotblocker. Our drivers have to use good footwork and go into the shotblocker to create space for our rim finishes.

Thankfully, I think our guys can do all of the things I mentioned. Auburn's a good defense that will disrupt a lot of good teams with their scheme. But they're going against one of the best ball-handling, driving, and passing teams in the country in Duke.

Great post! In addition to watching how Tre Jones guards Jared Harper, I am keen on seeing how Cam, R.J., and Zion handle the wing digs and shot blockers. Can they recognize and find the open man? And if they do get a lane to get to the rim, will they go into the body of the shotblockers to neutralize them?

English
11-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Auburn shot 35 3-pts in their game yesterday, which is bananas, and despite the soft rims, they made slightly over 30% of them (11-of-35). Many of those 3s came very early in the shot-clock and from NBA land. Obviously the 3-pt is an equalizer in CBB, but if Duke's "problem" to-date is foul accumulation, Auburn jacking tons of distance shots seems like it would help. Of course, if they caught fire, look out, but I'd be happy with Auburn taking some of those heat check triples tonight.

I'm not sure how much one can really draw from their game yesterday, given it was an early morning tip and the first game of a long distance preseason tournament, but I was not impressed by the Tigers' showing. I thought the entire game was sloppy by both teams, and said as much in the 'Maui' thread. If Duke plays its game and avoids mistakes that we haven't seen this team make--e.g., reliance on hero-ball, settling for deep shots, careless ball-handling--then I like our chances.

As much as it pains me to say, here's to Bilas announcing our game rather than Walton.

BandAlum83
11-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Download the TuneIn app on your phone. You don't need a login. On the main page, search for Duke or Duke/IMG. I'm not sure which I originally searched for, I have it in my favorites on the ap now. When I am in my car I will usually stream the play by play this way. You will also get the pre and post game shows.

Sometimes I live stream ESPN and the video, but I don't really recommend if you are driving. You will be too tempted to look at he game. :)

MChambers
11-20-2018, 03:58 PM

Great analysis. I've been thinking that extended ball pressure is not the way to beat this Duke team, with four strong ball handlers on the floor most of the game. I'm not fully convinced about Duke's three point shooting, but I'm getting there.

I'm a little more worried about Duke's defense against Auburn.

ChillinDuke
11-20-2018, 04:24 PM
Some context to help keep this game framed correctly, KenPom lists this as Duke's 6th highest probability for a loss for the rest of the entire season (not counting the potential finals matchup if we make it there).

Needless to say, the 5 higher probability losses are all ACC road games.

Ken thinks we are more likely to beat UNC at home than Auburn tonight. Think about that.

Then think about the 10.5 point spread.

Doh! Wrong thread...

- Chillin :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
11-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Greatest four minutes in American film IMO...apparently the actor Dreyfus was just as spellbound as the character "Hooper" was listening to Quint (Robert Shaw). Shaw wrote the final version himself. (Now back to your regularly scheduled basketball thread).

Story I heard was, the whole discussion that Shaw had of the Indianapolis disaster was ad-libbed while he was plastered.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-20-2018, 04:41 PM
This Duke team has struggled from the line early....but I don't think it's pre-ordained that they are a mediocre to poor FT shooting team. I would expect all four frosh to improve on that, getting used to the bigger crowds and other stuff you notice at the line, but don't think about in full speed motion. Jack and Alex should be solid from the line too.

Auburn apparently hits their FTs....21-24 last night. Certainly a lot of attention is paid to end game type FT situations, but the FT line can beat you, or help you win, by missing them or hitting them all along. If for example Auburn goes 21-24 again....and say Duke went 14-24......that's three possessions given away, not to mention the momentum loss that often comes from clanked FTs, and front ends missed. All of that before any end game situations. Not to harp on the obvious, but to watch the body language of players and coaches (not just Duke) - seems like missing FTs early in a game is not considered a big deal. But it can be.....

Billy Dat
11-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Story I heard was, the whole discussion that Shaw had of the Indianapolis disaster was ad-libbed while he was plastered.

The credit goes to 3 people according to Spielberg
https://www.scriptmag.com/features/spielberg-reveals-the-definitive-word-on-the-jaws-uss-indianapolis-speech

Back to the game...this is a big one for us to see if the hype is justified. The hype was created by blasting Kentucky...Kentucky has looked shaky so the win loses luster. If we put a whooping on Auburn, the legend grows.

In the consolation game, SDSU beat Xavier by 5 after trailing by a few at the half.

gocanes0506
11-20-2018, 04:49 PM
It will interesting to see how Auburn prevents the break out. As it has been pointed out, Duke is a great ball handling team and anyone can lead the breakout. Duke really exploded in the 2nd half when they began running and getting into transition. I believe they had a 11-2 run that ballooned the lead to over 20 when they got a couple of and ones, another bucket, and a three from Tre all from transition.

Auburn may drive a lot more to the basket today and not take so many threes to prevent the long rebounds and quick transitions. Maybe we see auburn play three high on the arc and all guards get back to the mid line or farther on a shot opportunity.

Do we see them double up Barrett and Zion in the half court to force others to beat us? If so throwing O'Connell out there with the main group could help prevent the doubles off the wing. Posting Jack, Bolden, or JD on the FT line for 10 foot jumpers when the help rotates. SDSU was able to force a couple of very early turnovers in the 2nd half to get back within single digits when they doubled Zion on the drive. The aforementioned run came shortly after that to really open the game up. Something to watch against Auburn and future games.

Rotation by the wingers to the previously vacated position and then hitting the open jumper will be good to get the team going. Also pressuring the important guards to wear out their legs will go far to hurt the long threes in the 2nd half.

If I was a betting man, I would put money on this young team seeing the number 8 besides Auburn and playing Kentucky level play against Auburn. Freshmen get up for a bigger game. Can White, O'Connell, Bolden, and JD provide enough offense and rebounding to put the game away early?

chainsaw
11-20-2018, 05:14 PM

Not really sure how we got onto this topic, but for those who are interested in the story of the loss of the Indianapolis, and the horrors the survivors endured in the water, Dan Carlin just did a very informative podcast on the subject. https://dchhaddendum.libsyn.com/ep5-nightmares-of-indianapolis

To quote another great film, "Never get off the f*&$ing boat!"

OldPhiKap
11-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Not really sure how we got onto this topic, but for those who are interested in the story of the loss of the Indianapolis, and the horrors the survivors endured in the water, Dan Carlin just did a very informative podcast on the subject. https://dchhaddendum.libsyn.com/ep5-nightmares-of-indianapolis

To quote another great film, "Never get off the f*&$ing boat!"

Dan Carlin is the best -- and I have DBR to thank for turning me on to his Hardcore History podcasts.

Utley
11-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Download the TuneIn app on your phone. You don't need a login. On the main page, search for Duke or Duke/IMG. I'm not sure which I originally searched for, I have it in my favorites on the ap now. When I am in my car I will usually stream the play by play this way. You will also get the pre and post game shows.

Sometimes I live stream ESPN and the video, but I don't really recommend if you are driving. You will be too tempted to look at he game. :)

Thanks to all who helped me on this. As tempting as it is to watch Zion while driving, I will go with the radio version of the dunks and YouTube highlights :).

Let’s Go Duke!!

-jk
11-20-2018, 07:28 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Green Wave Dukie
11-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Thanks Trouble. Got the App downloaded and good to go. Mrs. GWD is driving the car West on I-70 thru Indiana and don’t arrive East of Indy to the hotel till 9:15pm. Got the radio feed going now. Took Duke -10.5 and feel good. REALLY impressed so far with how our team can score.

Let’s Go Duke.

ChrisP
11-20-2018, 07:59 PM
I predict Duke wins big. Only chance I see is if we play horrendous defense and they shoot some incredible % from 3pt land.

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Zion with an awful start but everyone else looking solid

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 08:16 PM
How's that a foul on Reddish but not on auburn when the guy pushes Zion when he's dribbling?

Refs calling this game way too tight again.

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Missing wide open 3a to give Auburn a chance

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 08:30 PM
3 on 1 and you get a Goldwire 3? That's very poorly run. Reddish needs to just go 2 on 1 with Zion.

Reddish with 3 fouls is huge. He's been their 2nd best player today.

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Most frustrating 13 point lead ever

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 08:40 PM
If Barrett misses these FTs I might have to stop watching

fgb
11-20-2018, 08:43 PM
phantom fouls and 5 missed fts

arnie
11-20-2018, 08:43 PM
3 on 1 and you get a Goldwire 3? That's very poorly run. Reddish needs to just go 2 on 1 with Zion.

Reddish with 3 fouls is huge. He's been their 2nd best player today.

Yea very bad play by Goldwire - he doesn’t need to jack up 3s when playing with the big boys

wavedukefan70s
11-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Offensive foul anyone.geez.
This team for being freshman actually have some defense.

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Auburn so lucky to be in this. We have missed a ton of wide open shots.

slower
11-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Reality-check game, right here.

uh_no
11-20-2018, 08:47 PM
Auburn so lucky to be in this. We have missed a ton of wide open shots.
they have a strong defense and most of the shots aren't especially wide open...they're pushing us into tough shots, on the move or challenged. Plus cam being on the bench hurts our spacing a bit.

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 08:48 PM

For Zion for sure. Teams are going to pack to paint against him and put quicker guys on him to keep him out of the paint. Going to be tough for him to get his points.

uh_no
11-20-2018, 08:48 PM

I think that's a bit premature. The adjusted efficiencies as of a minute or two ago are were 122-56. Auburn is a good team.

(Auburn is also fouling themselves out of this game)

fgb
11-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Barrett playing like a freshman for the first time, really forcing the issue. he'll learn from this.

uh_no
11-20-2018, 08:56 PM
89-111 efficiency

77-120 adjusted. It would have been nuts if we had kept on the pace we did for the first few minutes. Auburn has packed down and put themselves in foul trouble, and we're still having a good game. They can't keep fouling like this for another half.

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 08:56 PM
Team let Auburn back in with defensive breakdowns and then they started making some long 3s. Barrett took bad shots and even Jones was forcing things. We need Reddish back and Zion to be part of the offense- was glad to see him make those FTs and hope it gets him going.

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 08:57 PM
Poor shot selection, bad transition defense, and lazy defensive rebounding let Auburn back in it. Going to need Reddish to stay out of foul trouble. Duke played well though. Just some mental mistakes near the end of the half.

luvdahops
11-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Barrett playing like a freshman for the first time, really forcing the issue. he'll learn from this.

Agreed. A bad stretch of hero ball on offense and defensive lapses to close the half.

ChrisP
11-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Yes, several good learning opportunities for RJ. Love that kid but he's cost us about 6-9 points by forcing bad shots that have lead to open 3's on the other end.

fuse
11-20-2018, 09:02 PM
RJ with some 1 on 3 decisions - ah, youth.

Here’s hoping Cam, Zion and Jack provide some offensive punch along with Tre.

gocanes0506
11-20-2018, 09:05 PM
If Alex was decent at defense this would be the perfect game for him. Leaving the 3 pr line wide open.

Reddish would have more too if he didn’t have 2 silly fouls.

Either hit the threes or send guys through the lane without the ball. Need some more movement in the offense.

arnie
11-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Poor shot selection, bad transition defense, and lazy defensive rebounding let Auburn back in it. Going to need Reddish to stay out of foul trouble. Duke played well though. Just some mental mistakes near the end of the half.

That’s it - Reddish I trust. If he can play 12-15 minutes in 2nd half we’re good.

BandAlum83
11-20-2018, 09:08 PM
Yea very bad play by Goldwire - he doesn’t need to jack up 3s when playing with the big boys

It was a completely open 3 pt attempt. He has to take that and I'm sure he is told to take that. He's also forced 2 turnovers. We are playing a legit 9 deep.

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 09:09 PM
That’s it - Reddish I trust. If he can play 12-15 minutes in 2nd half we’re good.

This is going to be a tight game. Going to need 16 out of him at least.

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 09:10 PM
It was a completely open 3 pt attempt. He has to take that and I'm sure he is told to take that. He's also forced 2 turnovers. We are playing a legit 9 deep.

I don't blame it on him. Reddish just has to be more aggressive and take the 2 on 1 with Zion. That's unstoppable.

BandAlum83
11-20-2018, 09:10 PM
This is going to be a tight game. Going to need 16 out of him at least.

We will win by at last 15...I predict.

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Bolden is playing really well today.

wavedukefan70s
11-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Bolden is playing really well today.

I'm really glad for him too.

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 09:16 PM
We have to stop shooting 3s- can’t make any after that quick start

Atldukie79
11-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Best sequence Bolden has had in his career to start the 2nd half!

ChrisP
11-20-2018, 09:18 PM
LOVE seeing Bolden smiling and fired up! Go get it, big fella!

uh_no
11-20-2018, 09:22 PM
LOVE seeing Bolden smiling and fired up! Go get it, big fella!

it seems he has figured out that it's fun to just dunk on people all the time. I, for one, am quite alright with this change.

slower
11-20-2018, 09:23 PM
I think that's a bit premature.

Just like anybody else here, you're entitled to think whatever you want. You have stats, I have eyes.

I think these guys now understand that they WILL have to earn it.

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Bolden playing well was too good to be true. We are just trying to give this away by not making simple plays.

wavedukefan70s
11-20-2018, 09:33 PM
To many 3's

uh_no
11-20-2018, 09:35 PM
You have stats, I have eyes.

hm. guess i can waive that eyecare coverage during open enrollment then...

AGDukesky
11-20-2018, 09:38 PM
This Is a joke. Intentional foul on a breakaway that should have been continuation, then Zion gets fouled and misses both FTs leading to Auburn throwing up a brick that banks in

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 09:38 PM
Bad shot selection lately.

slower
11-20-2018, 09:39 PM
hm. guess i can waive that eyecare coverage during open enrollment then...

Just move your face closer to the monitor.

jipops
11-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Playing like freshmen tonight. Was going to happen eventually. And Auburn is really good.

BigZ
11-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Horrible foul shooting team

rsvman
11-20-2018, 09:40 PM
We really need to learn how to shoot free throws.

Old Dukie
11-20-2018, 09:41 PM
If duke wants to shoot 3's, they need O'Connell in there. Why won't K play him more?

fgb
11-20-2018, 09:45 PM
laughing at bilas' claim that au is going to get a lot better. they're not. they are really good, but my money says they're playing pretty darn close to their ceiling right now.

Old Dukie
11-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Can Tre Jones dribble with left hand? Anyone?

Dub
11-20-2018, 09:46 PM
Loving this game so far. We knew this team would get challenged and we’re fighting back every time Auburn makes a run. This is a team of 4 freshman and we’ve led the entire way vs a veteran top 10 team. FT shooting can certainly be better and 3 point shooting has been off but we’re still up by 8. These are the games that give K teaching moments.

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 09:46 PM
If Duke could could make free throws more consistently they'd be up 15.

Old Dukie
11-20-2018, 09:47 PM
This game is in jeopardy unless we start playing D.

duketaylor
11-20-2018, 09:49 PM
This is a really good match-up for our young team, want to see how they handle the last 6 minutes.

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Bolden player of the game.

duketaylor
11-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Bolden really involved, I love it.!!

Danke Shane
11-20-2018, 09:53 PM
Bilas is trying is darnedest to reach a “Billy Packer 2001 Final Four” level of complaining about missed calls against Duke.

CDu
11-20-2018, 09:54 PM
laughing at bilas' claim that au is going to get a lot better. they're not. they are really good, but my money says they're playing pretty darn close to their ceiling right now.

Well, they will get better, by virtue of getting another suspended player back in a few weeks.

fgb
11-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Bilas is trying is darnedest to reach a “Billy Packer 2001 Final Four” level of complaining about missed calls against Duke.

agree 100%, especially with these guys hanging all over Zion like he's jj.

HateCarolina
11-20-2018, 09:58 PM
What’s up with the crappy camera angles?? This is a great game with piss poor ESPN camera guys? Temps due to the holiday week?

WHOneedsSOX
4 turnovers in the last 5 possessions.

AGDukesky
How many unforced TOS are we going to commit?!

Old Dukie
11-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Jones really looking sloppy in this one! Where's Goldwire?

jipops
11-20-2018, 10:01 PM
I don’t habitually complain about announcers. But Bilas is awful.

ChrisP
11-20-2018, 10:02 PM
How was that last foul on Cam not intentional/"flagrant"?

wavedukefan70s
11-20-2018, 10:04 PM
Bolden player of the game.

I concur.

AGDukesky
It is stupid that Auburn still has a chance but hopefully the guys are learning something’about execution down the stretch

jipops
What’s up with the crappy camera angles?? This is a great game with piss poor ESPN camera guys? Temps due to the holiday week?

Small gym.

InSpades
Jones really looking sloppy in this one! Where's Goldwire?

Outside of Bolden... Jones is having the best game of anyone in a Duke jersey. Jordan Goldwire took a 3 on a 3 on 1 break. I think Tre and Jordan are exactly where they are supposed to be.