PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. SDSU (Mon Nov 19 @ 5:22pm ESPN2) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

OldPhiKap
11-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Time to break out the grass skirts and the drinks with umbrellas, the Devils travel to Hawaii. First up, the 2-0 Aztecs. They are coming off of a 103-64 shellacking of Texas Southern.

San Diego State was founded in 1897 as San Diego Normal School. The San Diego State University (SDSU) campus is known as "Montezuma Mesa", as the university is situated on a mesa overlooking Mission Valley and is located at the intersection of Montezuma Road and College Avenue. Famous alum include Gregory Peck, Julie Kavner, Tony Gwinn, Marshall Faulk, and Stephen Strasberg.

I am unaware of any real Aztecs ever attending the university however.

Let’s give a big shout of hello to San Diego State!

slower
11-15-2018, 07:59 PM
Famous alum include Gregory Peck, Julie Kavner, Tony Gwinn, Marshall Faulk, and Stephen Strasberg.

And 2 years of Kawhi Leonard.

cato
11-15-2018, 08:01 PM
And 2 years of Kawhi Leonard.

Two beautiful years. SDSU sports are fun, particularly when the Aztecs are winning.

sagegrouse
11-15-2018, 08:49 PM
The San Diego State University (SDSU) campus is known as "Montezuma Mesa", as the university is situated on a mesa overlooking Mission Valley and is located at the intersection of Montezuma Road and College Avenue. Famous alum include Gregory Peck, Julie Kavner, Tony Gwinn, Marshall Faulk, and Stephen Strasberg.

!
You are missing the #1 alum IMHO (where the H is out chasing women):

Seeking an acting career, [Raquel] Welch entered San Diego State College on a theater arts scholarship in 1958.

Or, maybe I am showing my age....

HereBeforeCoachK
11-15-2018, 09:02 PM

So it was that San Diego St theatre degree that was the secret to Rachel's success then? That or Johnny Carson wanting to pet her....well, you know....

AGDukesky
Time to break out the grass skirts and the drinks with umbrellas, the Devils travel to Hawaii. First up, the 2-0 Aztecs. They are coming off of a 103-64 shellacking of Texas Southern.

San Diego State was founded in 1897 as San Diego Normal School. The San Diego State University (SDSU) campus is known as "Montezuma Mesa", as the university is situated on a mesa overlooking Mission Valley and is located at the intersection of Montezuma Road and College Avenue. Famous alum include Gregory Peck, Julie Kavner, Tony Gwinn, Marshall Faulk, and Stephen Strasberg.

Is Tony Gwinn any relation to the Tony Gwynn who played for the Padres? Or is he a distant relative of Sheldon Williams and JJ Reddick?

OldPhiKap

Or, maybe I am showing my age...

Raquel is eternal. Good catch.

Interestingly, this is the second opponent in a row which began as “[Location] Normal School.” Is that name, um, well — normal?

richmclean
11-15-2018, 11:53 PM
Normal colleges were teachers colleges where their education was patterned after schools the teachers will normally teach at.

Troublemaker
11-16-2018, 06:52 AM
Interestingly, SDSU head coach Brian Dutcher was a longtime Steve Fisher assistant, and Fisher says Dutcher was central to recruiting the Fab Five to Michigan (and later Kawhi to SDSU) (https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Basketball/2017/04/10/San-Diego-States-Steve-Fisher-retires-replaced-by-Brian-Dutcher/4611491862106/). Think he'll be asked by ESPN to compare Duke's freshmen to them? It's as if the basketball gods don't want this tiresome debate to go away just yet.

Spanarkel
11-16-2018, 07:39 AM

I like Mission Valley High School: Boogie Ellis!

rocketeli
11-16-2018, 08:03 AM

Since most Mexican-Americans are of primarily Native American stock, I'm guessing that quite a few people with Aztec ancestry have attended SDSU.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Since most Mexican-Americans are of primarily Native American stock, I'm guessing that quite a few people with Aztec ancestry have attended SDSU.

The Aztec Empire was conquered by the Spanish in 1521. It was that to which I was referring.

The cultural ancestry of our entire continent is mixed and varied, agreed. But I don't think that was the purpose for naming the mascot an Aztec Warrior, and indeed there has been some kerfuffle about cultural appropriation. Per Wikipedia:

Like other mascots referencing historical tribes and cultures, the Aztec mascot has periodically been the topic of question. It was not cited as "hostile and abusive" by the NCAA in 2005 due to a decision that the Aztecs were not a Native American tribe with any living descendants.[156] However, the Aztec Warrior has drawn criticism. A SDSU professor of American Indian Studies states that among other problems the mascot teaches the mistaken idea that Aztecs were a local tribe rather than living in Mexico 1,000 miles away.[157] The SDSU Native American Student Alliance (NASA) supports removal of the mascot, calling its continued use "institutional racism" in an official statement to the Committee on Diversity, Equity and Outreach.[158][159] Although that resolution was rejected by the SDSU Associated Students, the University Senate, which represents the administration, faculty, staff and students, had voted to phase out the human depiction of the Aztec Warrior.[160] In 2018, after the recommendation of a task force of students, faculty, and alumni who were appointed to study the issue, President Sally Roush made the decision to discontinue using the Aztec Warrior as a mascot, while retaining it as a "Spirit Leader."[161][155]

wilson
11-16-2018, 11:33 AM

The Aztec Empire was conquered by the Spanish in 1521. It was that to which I was referring.

The cultural ancestry of our entire continent is mixed and varied, agreed. But I don't think that was the purpose for naming the mascot an Aztec Warrior, and indeed there has been some kerfuffle about cultural appropriation. Per Wikipedia:The very word "Mexico" is of Aztec origin; the Aztec ruling tribe (the empire was actually a clustered empire consisting of conquered peoples and a ruling class) called themselves "Mexica." rocketeli is correct here.
/historyteachernerdrant

budwom
11-16-2018, 11:43 AM
huh, I always though Aztec was short for Arizona Technical College...you learn something every day.

cato
11-16-2018, 11:46 AM

The Aztecs lived very, very far away from San Diego, in both time and location.

fuse
11-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Discovered by Germans in 1904....

(Both decorum and the board filter prevent me from finishing this quote from Anchorman)

gam7
11-16-2018, 01:59 PM
I like Mission Valley High School: Boogie Ellis!

Mission Bay High School, which is in Pacific Beach.

UrinalCake
11-16-2018, 02:04 PM
I’m hoping we can jump out to a big lead early and play the bench some significant minutes. Three games in three days will be tough for our young and not-deep team. And potentially having to face the #9 and #3 teams is like playing the Final Four, except on consecutive days.

gam7
11-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Is Tony Gwinn any relation to the Tony Gwynn who played for the Padres? Or is he a distant relative of Sheldon Williams and JJ Reddick?

Or the Tony Gwynn who is the SDSU basketball leader in career assists and assists in a single season, and was selected in the tenth round of the 1981 NBA draft by the San Diego Clippers?

OldPhiKap
11-16-2018, 02:37 PM
The very word "Mexico" is of Aztec origin; the Aztec ruling tribe (the empire was actually a clustered empire consisting of conquered peoples and a ruling class) called themselves "Mexica."

Very cool, thanks. But

rocketeli is correct here.

doesn't necessarily follow, because

The Visigoths controlled territory from Ancient Rome to Spain in the third through eighth centuries. If I met a modern-day Spaniard, would I properly call him a Visogothian? Similarly, many regions in Europe (such as Germany -- "Germania") gain their names from when they were conquered by the Roman Empire yet I doubt any of them would self-identify as Roman or Italian.

But it was just a joke -- I didn't expect any sort of Spanish Inquisition.

cato
11-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Very cool, thanks. But

doesn't necessarily follow, because

The Visigoths controlled territory from Ancient Rome to Spain in the third through eighth centuries. If I met a modern-day Spaniard, would I properly call him a Visogothian? Similarly, many regions in Europe (such as Germany -- "Germania") gain their names from when they were conquered by the Roman Empire yet I doubt any of them would self-identify as Roman or Italian.

No one expects . . .

. . . To kill a joke with dry pedantry. But I guess my point is that no actual Aztec ever came within say 1,000 miles of what is now San Diego, since their city and empire were far, far away. The first empire to poke its nose around here was the Spanish one.

BLPOG
11-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Send in the nuns (https://youtu.be/LnF1OtP2Svk?t=333)!

OldPhiKap
11-16-2018, 02:50 PM
No one expects . . .

. . . To kill a joke with dry pedantry. But I guess my point is that no actual Aztec ever came within say 1,000 miles of what is now San Diego, since their city and empire were far, far away. The first empire to poke its nose around here was the Spanish one.

Because they were inquisitive?

WillJ
11-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Interestingly, SDSU head coach Brian Dutcher was a longtime Steve Fisher assistant, and Fisher says Dutcher was central to recruiting the Fab Five to Michigan (and later Kawhi to SDSU) (https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Basketball/2017/04/10/San-Diego-States-Steve-Fisher-retires-replaced-by-Brian-Dutcher/4611491862106/). Think he'll be asked by ESPN to compare Duke's freshmen to them? It's as if the basketball gods don't want this tiresome debate to go away just yet.

Brian Dutcher is himself the son of Jim Dutcher, head coach at both our immediately preceding opponent Eastern Michigan (where Jim Dutcher coached George Gervin) and Minnesota (where Jim Dutcher coached Kevin McHale).

Bob Green
11-16-2018, 02:57 PM
The thread title momentarily threw me for a loop...I asked myself we're playing South Dakota State? The body of the OP uses the conventional SDSU.

Whew, confusion dissipates...

OldPhiKap
11-16-2018, 03:02 PM
The thread title momentarily threw me for a loop...I asked myself we're playing South Dakota State? The body of the OP uses the conventional SDSU.

Whew, confusion dissipates...

Bob, someone changed the title from when I posted it. Probably for the better, but they shortened the name of the opponent.

But more importantly -- what is your view on modern Aztec culture? Or how we are going to stop what appears to be a high-octane offense?

mattman91
11-16-2018, 03:04 PM
5 pm Eastern kinda sucks for us. Is there a game before ours that may delay our tip-off by 30-40 minutes, or am I going to need to leave early to "beat traffic" on Monday?

Bob Green
11-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Bob, someone changed the title from when I posted it. Probably for the better, but they shortened the name of the opponent.

Darn moderators! :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
11-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Darn moderators! :rolleyes:

LOL. To be fair, they added "in game-thread" to the title so they probably had to shorten somewhere.

My effort to start this thread in a positive, light-hearted way has gone terribly askew. Time to revert to GrumpyPK.

devildeac
11-16-2018, 03:29 PM
LOL. To be fair, they added "in game-thread" to the title so they probably had to shorten somewhere.

My effort to start this thread in a positive, light-hearted way has gone terribly askew. Time to revert to GrumpyPK.

You should be reading Ymm, Beer now. Those folks are reeeeaaallly out of control today. :o:rolleyes:

cato
11-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Or how we are going to stop what appears to be a high-octane offense?

I’m not sure how high powered the Aztec’s offense is. They are a well coached team, with Dutcher taking the baton from Fisher quite smoothly. I’m not very familiar with this year’s team, but they tend to favor long athletic players, but are searching for someone to pair with Jalen McDaniels (6’10”, 195) in the post. Matt Mitchell is a strong 6-6, 240 and they have a senior point guard who appears to be a decent shooter.

They won big in their last game by running against a tired, overmatched opponent.

If Duke comes out fired up on D, this one will get out of control very quickly. If SDSU can limit turnovers, run a patient half-court offense and get Zion and Barrett in foul trouble, I could see a relatively tight game for a while.

fuse
11-16-2018, 03:46 PM
You should be reading Ymm, Beer now. Those folks are reeeeaaallly out of control today. :o:rolleyes:

I resemble that remark :rolleyes:

MrPoon
11-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Hopefully the team is taking them more seriously than this board!
:o
Don’t know if we have a serious basketball specific post yet and we are deep into page two.. not that I’m any different, this team is something from my imagination only. Against a good MAC team, Duke sat Cam (the #3 or #4 potential draft pick for a half) and kept the same advantage. Imagine any other team doing that.... ever!

Indoor66
11-16-2018, 04:35 PM
I didn't expect any sort of Spanish Inquisition.

Why? You are a regular here! 😂

burnspbesq
11-16-2018, 07:12 PM

It’s the Comfy Chair for you, infidel.

GoDevils2018
11-16-2018, 07:36 PM
This one will bring back memories of the 2015 tourney that kicked off in Charlotte when we handled SDSU pretty well

elvis14
11-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Do we know how Cam is doing going into this game? Was is injury minor enough to where it won't matter?

UrinalCake
11-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Getting this thread back on track... how long do you think we'll continue to start Bolden? Right now our best lineup is clearly the four freshmen plus Jack White. But long-term it makes sense to let Bolden develop because he gives us more positional flexibility when going up against a team with a scoring big. Kentucky has a good front line and our small lineup did great against them, but I still think Bolden is a key piece to our team reaching its peak.

At the moment however, I would argue that Bolden is 7th in our rotation behind Jack and Javin.

OldPhiKap
11-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Do we know how Cam is doing going into this game? Was is injury minor enough to where it won't matter?

FWIW, K said after our last game that Cam could have come back that game but was kept out because of the rout. U less something strange happened, I expect him to be fine.

NYBri
11-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Don’t recall a thread ever with the word Visigoths mentioned.

elvis14
11-18-2018, 10:44 PM
FWIW, K said after our last game that Cam could have come back that game but was kept out because of the rout. U less something strange happened, I expect him to be fine.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that quote from K. Really looking forward to the game tomorrow night.

OldPhiKap
11-18-2018, 10:46 PM
Duke opens as a 13.5 favorite, with the over/under at 154.5. So, about 84-70 or so.

Will be interesting to see how this young team handles the trip. Aztecs will be looking to shock the world.

Wonder who would win a battle between the Aztecs and the Visigoths in the day. Someone tweet Dan Carlin.

Troublemaker
11-19-2018, 06:59 AM
Duke opens as a 13.5 favorite, with the over/under at 154.5. So, about 84-70 or so.

Will be interesting to see how this young team handles the trip. Aztecs will be looking to shock the world.

Wonder who would win a battle between the Aztecs and the Visigoths in the day. Someone tweet Dan Carlin.

Why aren't you in the degenerate ACC picking contest, OPK? Unless I'm missing something.

Getting this thread back on track... how long do you think we'll continue to start Bolden? Right now our best lineup is clearly the four freshmen plus Jack White. But long-term it makes sense to let Bolden develop because he gives us more positional flexibility when going up against a team with a scoring big. Kentucky has a good front line and our small lineup did great against them, but I still think Bolden is a key piece to our team reaching its peak.

At the moment however, I would argue that Bolden is 7th in our rotation behind Jack and Javin.

Many NBA teams, including some of the best ones, like to start a traditional center even though he's rarely in the crunchtime lineup. We haven't had crunchtime in any of our games yet, but maybe Duke is doing something similar. The operating theory would be that if you know you're not going to get him minutes at the end of games or end of halves and maybe not even the middle of halves if it's a tight game or he's a poor matchup for the opponent, then you better start him so he can get some minutes in, and we'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly. The NBA teams are doing some variation of that thought process, imo.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Why aren't you in the degenerate ACC picking contest, OPK? Unless I'm missing something.

Because I’m really bad at it. And far more degenerate than the law allows.

Newton_14
11-19-2018, 08:12 AM

I think we need Bolden to beat teams with good big men that can score. Jack and Javin can't guard those guys. As for rotation, I would put Bolden solidly ahead of Javin as of right now. Javin hasn't played well in these early games. Hopefully he can right the ship.

WVDUKEFAN
11-19-2018, 08:24 AM
This team has shown some things early on that really stand out (at least to me). The first is intensity/fire. With the exception of a few instances, they have played like their butts are lit. Zion is a leader as a frosh. It rubs off on the others. It's crazy how they run the floor. The second is defense. They haven't figured it out entirely (who would expect them to?), but it's there. I've seen rotations and guys picking up switches that we never made last year. Lastly is PG play. Mr. Jones is very consistent. We didn't have that sort of PG play last year. We'd see a glimpse of it, but Mr. Jones is a true floor general.

elvis14
11-19-2018, 08:47 AM
This team has shown some things early on that really stand out (at least to me). The first is intensity/fire. With the exception of a few instances, they have played like their butts are lit. Zion is a leader as a frosh. It rubs off on the others. It's crazy how they run the floor. The second is defense. They haven't figured it out entirely (who would expect them to?), but it's there. I've seen rotations and guys picking up switches that we never made last year. Lastly is PG play. Mr. Jones is very consistent. We didn't have that sort of PG play last year. We'd see a glimpse of it, but Mr. Jones is a true floor general.

I agree with all your points. Only thing I've seen so far on defense that bothered me was that we didn't get back well enough in transition against Army (and I'm quite confident that was addressed). Jones is very consistent and I have a feeling there will be times where our guys need to calm down a bit and he'll be there showing them the way.

AGDukesky
11-19-2018, 08:53 AM
I think we need Bolden to beat teams with good big men that can score. Jack and Javin can't guard those guys. As for rotation, I would put Bolden solidly ahead of Javin as of right now. Javin hasn't played well in these early games. Hopefully he can right the ship.

Javin struggled in the first game but was really good in the EMU game.

jv001
11-19-2018, 09:02 AM

I agree with regard to Bolden there will be games we need him to play against tall talented big men. Getting him minutes early can only help. And yes, you are correct that Bolden and White are ahead of Javin at this point in the early season. But he still has time to get it going. GoDuke!

Tripping William
11-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Does this game tip off at 4:30 p.m. Eastern or at 5:00 p.m. Eastern? The DBR front page and the "This Week in the ACC" thread both say 4:30 p.m., but this thread and the official GoDuke schedule (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22726&DB_OEM_ID=4200) both say 5:00 p.m. I'm in a position where it may make some difference.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Does this game tip off at 4:30 p.m. Eastern or at 5:00 p.m. Eastern? The DBR front page and the "This Week in the ACC" thread both say 4:30 p.m., but this thread and the official GoDuke schedule (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22726&DB_OEM_ID=4200) both say 5:00 p.m. I'm in a position where it may make some difference.

Dunno. I got the time from the GoDuke schedule so if that is wrong, the title on the thread is wrong.

tbyers11
11-19-2018, 09:18 AM

The Duke-SDSU follows the Auburn-Xavier game which officially tips at 2:30 EST. So it is officially listed as 4:30 but will realistically be ~5:00PM EST. Exactly when is dependent on the when Auburn-Xavier finishes

wilson
11-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Does this game tip off at 4:30 p.m. Eastern or at 5:00 p.m. Eastern? The DBR front page and the "This Week in the ACC" thread both say 4:30 p.m., but this thread and the official GoDuke schedule (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22726&DB_OEM_ID=4200) both say 5:00 p.m. I'm in a position where it may make some difference.I too have noticed and wondered about this. The Worldwide Leader, which is broadcasting the game, says 4:30, so I’m expecting that the telecast will start at 4:30, the ensuing 20 minutes will consist of about 80% commercials, and then actual tipoff will occur at around 4:50 (anybody wanna put a pie on that?;)).

budwom
11-19-2018, 09:30 AM
I would suspect 5pm at the very earliest since that's the time on the official bracket, AND who knows how long the Auburn game will go? If they really start at 2:30, they'll be done by 4:30 at the very earliest, can't see our game
starting before 5, quite possibly a bit thereafter...DVR alert, slap on extra time.

I have already notified K that they need to win and keep winning, as the third place game is wednesday night at 11:30 pm Eastern time, and there's no way I'm staying up for that...so now they have even more incentive.

Troublemaker
11-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Because I’m really bad at it. And far more degenerate than the law allows.

Well, I don't recall you being bad, just maybe not as good as a few of us. You going to stop playing poker because you're not as good as Phil Ivey?

The Duke-SDSU follows the Auburn-Xavier game which officially tips at 2:30 EST. So it is officially listed as 4:30 but will realistically be ~5:00PM EST. Exactly when is dependent on the when Auburn-Xavier finishes

This. A two hour or so game plus warmups.

There's probably another gear for Javin to reach, and I still expect him to overtake Marques at some point (in minutes, if not in starts). Not sure I agree that Javin can't guard a big man that can score. He'd front the guy and make it really difficult to receive the entry pass (in conjunction with Duke's ball pressure).

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 09:50 AM
You going to stop playing poker because you're not as good as Phil Ivey?

Ouch, hit me where it hurts.

I may have to wander over there during the Thanksgiving break.

rsvman
11-19-2018, 09:52 AM
It’s the Comfy Chair for you, infidel.

Hit him with the soft cushions!

Kedsy
11-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Javin has fouled a lot, and turned it over a few times (4 times in 3 games, while Marques hasn't turned it over yet), but so far Javin has been better than Marques at eFG% (83.3% to 58.3%); offensive rebounding (10.4% to 10.0%); defensive rebounding (23.1%to 7.4%); steals (6.8% to 1.7%); PER (21.3 to 18.0); and defensive rating (low is better: Javin 72.9; Marques 91.4). Marques is better at blocks (7.3% to 4.5%) and assists (4 assists to 0). So I wouldn't put Marques "solidly ahead" of Javin based on how well they've played so far. Especially since I think Javin meshes better defensively because of his athleticism. But I still think there's room for both of them in the rotation.

MChambers
11-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Seems a little high. I'm expecting a close game, unfortunately.

Kedsy
11-19-2018, 11:36 AM

On what are you basing this expectation? Duke's youth?

English
11-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Does anyone on the board follow the Aztecs? The thread is pretty bare of details about the actual team. A post here and there mentioned a long team, their last game and a post suggest a team that can score, and then another poster refuted the notion that they’re much of an offensive threat. While I’m admittedly not much help since I know next to nothing about them, I can’t recall a game with this few details about what to expect against a Duke opponent who isn’t a cupcake.

Natty_B
11-19-2018, 11:42 AM

FWIW Vegas disagrees - I'm seeing 16 as the current spread.

wilson
11-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Does anyone on the board follow the Aztecs? The thread is pretty bare of details about the actual team. A post here and there mentioned a long team, their last game and a post suggest a team that can score, and then another poster refuted the notion that they’re much of an offensive threat. While I’m admittedly not much help since I know next to nothing about them, I can’t recall a game with this few details about what to expect against a Duke opponent who isn’t a cupcake.Sophomore big man Jalen McDaniels is projected as a first-round draft pick, the Aztecs shoot well from outside (44.4% on the season so far), the team was generally pegged as the #2 in the Mountain West in preseason discussions (behind legitimately elite Nevada), and they have scored at a high clip so far, 90 ppg, but in only two games against overmatched opponents.
That's about all I got.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Does anyone on the board follow the Aztecs? The thread is pretty bare of details about the actual team. A post here and there mentioned a long team, their last game and a post suggest a team that can score, and then another poster refuted the notion that they’re much of an offensive threat. While I’m admittedly not much help since I know next to nothing about them, I can’t recall a game with this few details about what to expect against a Duke opponent who isn’t a cupcake.

They are coached by the guy who recruited the Fab Five to Michigan. He was a long time Fisher assistant at Michigan, followed him to San Diego, and took over before last season. Sells the weather and the high level competition to recruits. They seem now to be a solid program.

Natty_B
11-19-2018, 12:20 PM

By Kenpom standards SDSU is higher ranked (57) than the following Maui teams - Illinois (76), Arizona (61) and Xavier (68).

Troublemaker
11-19-2018, 12:28 PM

You can (maybe) get a sense of them in highlights below.

This iteration of SDSU is so far a bit different because they've seemingly moved away from tallball. They're usually a program that starts two bigs and have big wings and maximize their defense with all that length and size. However this season (so far) they've gone to more of a spread look that's smaller. Last season's power forward and NBA prospect Jalen McDaniels is now the starting center. He's #5 in the highlight video below, and you can see with his handles and quickness how tough a matchup he'll possibly be for Marques. We would much prefer to see him go back to playing PF. This season's PF (last season's SF) is another NBA prospect (fringe) Matt Mitchell who can shoot and put the ball on the floor. He's #11 in the highlights. Again, we'd much rather see Mitchell at SF.

If Coach Dutcher sticks with the new look, SDSU can spread us out and make us uncomfortable. SDSU will also end up with their highest offensive rating in a long time. (Keep in mind their kenpom numbers for this season are still largely based on previous seasons.) If he reverts to tallball in this game out of habit, we should wax them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snr-N4StRfk

MChambers
11-19-2018, 12:37 PM
On what are you basing this expectation? Duke's youth?

And SDSU is a decent team, and I think all the noise, as Coach K would say, may have an effect.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-19-2018, 12:43 PM
And SDSU is a decent team, and I think all the noise, as Coach K would say, may have an effect.

...on the other hand, a good team seems far more likely to get Duke's attention.......worst team we played so far is our closet game.

chrishoke
11-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Nice highlights. Athleticism and good shooting = tough match up for our kids.

rsvman
11-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Nice highlights. Athleticism and good shooting = tough match up for our kids.

If I had to listen to that announcer yell out "GOOD!!" one more time I was going to toss a brick through my monitor.

MChambers
11-19-2018, 01:01 PM
...on the other hand, a good team seems far more likely to get Duke's attention....worst team we played so far is our closet game.

But with Auburn and Gonzaga looming, it would be easy to overlook SDSU, especially for a team with a bunch of freshman getting a ton of hype.

MChambers
11-19-2018, 01:02 PM
FWIW Vegas disagrees - I'm seeing 16 as the current spread.

As the saying goes, it's differences of opinion that make for horse races.

cato
11-19-2018, 01:33 PM

The only people to have actually seen them are people who went to the games. Neither of their first two games were on TV or streaming — in San Diego.

wilson
11-19-2018, 01:40 PM
The only people to have actually seen them are people who went to the games. Neither of their first two games were on TV or streaming — in San Diego.The jury is definitely still out as to their overall strength vis-a-vis the Visigoths.:rolleyes:

mattman91
11-19-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm assuming (hoping) the actual tip-off is closer to 5:30 than 5:00. Isn't there a game before ours?

elvis14
11-19-2018, 02:40 PM
CDu has added a great review of SDSU (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42515-Phase-I-2018-19-season&p=1101965#post1101965) to the Phase1 Thread. If you're reading this thread and looking for pregame SDSU information, follow that link.

camion
11-19-2018, 02:44 PM
I'm assuming (hoping) the actual tip-off is closer to 5:30 than 5:00. Isn't there a game before ours?

I believe the earlier game is at 2:30. Depending on the length of the game (2 hours + 30 for changeover/warmups) I'm guessing that ours starts after 5:00, but closer to 5:00 than to 5:30.

I'm recording the game since I won't be home until 6:00 and I gave it an extra hour on the DVR so I'll be recording until 7:30.

CDu
11-19-2018, 03:42 PM

Below is a breakdown of the Aztecs:
https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42515-Phase-I-2018-19-season/page2

Whoops, sorry for the double-post. Elvis beat me to it. Thanks elvis!

Skydog
11-19-2018, 04:09 PM
I foresee a lot of SDSU turnovers. That means a beau coup of transition dunks and layups for us in this game. And the next game. And then the game after that...

Billy Dat
11-19-2018, 04:16 PM
@MedcalfByESPN
Duke just entered the building and everyone turned to look like that scene from Breakin' when Electro Rock walked into the club to battle Turbo and Ozone.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-19-2018, 04:24 PM
What is this, maybe 11 am or noon Maui time for tip off?

Billy Dat
11-19-2018, 04:30 PM
These rims are ridiculously soft...great Auburn v Xavier game right now! They are trading blows down the stretch!!!

Billy Dat
11-19-2018, 04:43 PM
Auburn blew this game...headed to OT. Our start time will be pushed back....I'd say 5:30 at the earliest.

Acymetric
11-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Auburn blew this game...headed to OT. Our start time will be pushed back...I'd say 5:30 at the earliest.

Sweet, gives me time to get home from work.

Billy Dat
11-19-2018, 04:48 PM
There are WAY too many lines on this court.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-19-2018, 04:51 PM

You remember when Duke Indoor (then Cameron Indoor) had a bunch of other lines on the court?

-jk
11-19-2018, 04:52 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Billy Dat
11-19-2018, 04:53 PM
You remember when Duke Indoor (then Cameron Indoor) had a bunch of other lines on the court?

Just call me NotHereBeforeCoachK.

devildeac
11-19-2018, 05:03 PM

I'm still at work and not watching yet. Is the court this bad?

:rolleyes::o

Billy Dat
11-19-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm still at work and not watching yet. Is the court this bad?

:rolleyes::o

I saw a few that were actual tape and had "Pickleball" written on them.

MChambers
11-19-2018, 05:11 PM
I saw a few that were actual tape and had "Pickleball" written on them.

Zion would be awesome at pickleball.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 05:19 PM
Zion would be awesome at pickleball.

Zion would excel at any sport except horse racing. The horse would cry if it saw him coming to mount up.

BLPOG
11-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Zion would excel at any sport except horse racing. The horse would cry if it saw him coming to mount up.

I have a lot of confidence in Zion. I think he'd put the team on his back, so to speak.

AGDukesky
11-19-2018, 05:32 PM
Certainly not getting many calls so far

curtis325
11-19-2018, 05:44 PM

Just all of them.

WHOneedsSOX
11-19-2018, 05:48 PM

Their PG is carrying the ball pretty blatantly every few possessions.

DU82
11-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Zion would carry the horse.

arnie
11-19-2018, 05:55 PM
Absolutely elated K is now reading DBR and taking our advice to go 9-10 deep every night. The pressure D looks effective and requires rested players.

WHOneedsSOX
11-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Absolutely elated K is now reading DBR and taking our advice to go 9-10 deep every night. The pressure D looks effective and requires rested players.

He kind of has to when 2 starters have 2 fouls early in the game. Also a tournament where they play 3 games in 3 days.

duketaylor
11-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Zion would carry the horse.

Zion would outrun the horse with a jockey on his back;)

duketaylor
11-19-2018, 06:00 PM
A little sloppy with the ball right now, need to tighten it up on offense.

BigZ
11-19-2018, 06:03 PM
These freshman are great when they are not on the foul line

WHOneedsSOX
11-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Is this Zion's first half since like 2nd grade where he didn't have a single dunk in a half?

Reddevil
11-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Couple questions:

Do they stay on EST for sleeping eating etc. to make the transition back easier, or do they go ahead and acclimate?

Do they stay for Thanksgiving or come home right away?

AGDukesky
11-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Now the refs are way too involved- no flow to this game

WHOneedsSOX
11-19-2018, 06:19 PM
49 points and up 17 when Zion has what, 4 points?

AGDukesky
11-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Gotta love near perfect execution of the 2 for 1. Just missed getting that defensive rebound and then fouling.

gus
11-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Seth Greenberg at a break: San Diego is owning the tempo.

Score at that point: Duke +14

gep
11-19-2018, 06:21 PM
Zion... 5 points... 1-2 on 3's, 2-2 on FT. no dunks:confused:

InSpades
11-19-2018, 06:24 PM

These things are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure if Duke had it's choice the game would be more up and down. Duke has very few if any fast break points... I'm not sure if they've had a live ball turnover yet. The game has been mostly played in the half court and it turns out Duke is pretty good at that too :).

devilnfla
11-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Thought the same thing...what an idiot.

weezie
11-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Zion... 5 points... 1-2 on 3's, 2-2 on FT. no dunks:confused:

It's all ok. Long season ahead. He can't have the entire spotlight. Share the wealth.

arnie
11-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Thought the same thing...what an idiot.

He was born that way and nothing’s changed. He will find the Duke negative and believes SDSU won the 1st half (except that they let it get away from them at the the end).

fuse
11-19-2018, 06:31 PM
First half - Jacking Threes (shamefully borrowed from Tobacco Road Mayor on twitter).

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 06:35 PM
He was born that way and nothing’s changed. He will find the Duke negative and believes SDSU won the 1st half (except that they let it get away from them at the the end).

Someone needs to be the designated Duke-hater to satisfy that base of the viewership. Seth’s a natural.

Skydog
11-19-2018, 06:37 PM
I thought SD played well - showed a lot of composure and played hard. But so did we and we had RJ, Jones and Cam who were outstanding.

AGDukesky
11-19-2018, 06:52 PM
That was beautiful! Also loved Zions effort to get that rebound and score.

WHOneedsSOX
11-19-2018, 06:59 PM
That was beautiful! Also loved Zions effort to get that rebound and score.

His on ball defense is really impressing me tonight.

MChambers
11-19-2018, 07:05 PM
Told ya it was going to be a close game.

Wow.

arnie
11-19-2018, 07:09 PM
I thought SD played well - showed a lot of composure and played hard. But so did we and we had RJ, Jones and Cam who were outstanding.

And Jack White

AGDukesky
11-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Robinson with the putback dunk!