PDA

View Full Version : Trevon Lee

jimsumner
11-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Okay, I never thought I would be starting a thread on Trevon Lee.

If you're a casual Duke football fan, you're probably asking "who?"

If you're more than a casual fan, you might be going "meh."

Let me give you some context.

Lee is a redshirt senior, wide receiver.

He was highly-recruited out of high school. But his career has not gone the way he or anyone else expected. He hasn't been ravaged by injuries. But he's just never been able to get on the field. Better players ahead of him.

Coming into the Carolina game, Lee had one career reception, a four-yarder against NC Central in 2017.

He could have checked out a long time ago.

But he didn't. By all accounts, he's an active leader in the wide-receiver contingent and a mentor to the younger players at that position. He's worked at various WR positions and helps teach those to the freshmen.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Aaron Young out with an injury. Scott Bracey out with an injury. Jake Bobo sprains an ankle.

So, Lee gets his chance. Two catches, for 13 yards, one a catch at the Carolina 4 that helped set up a subsequent TD.

Hardly, earth-shattering. And he might not see the field much, if at all, in Duke's final three games.

But still an object lesson in how an athlete can deal with disappointment and still help his team prepare. And when he had a chance, he did something positive with it.

Oh, did I mention that he graduated from Duke last spring with a degree in political science and is currently working on a master's in the same subject?

So, some kudos for Trevon Lee.

devildeac
11-12-2018, 04:32 PM

He was highly-recruited out of high school. But his career has not gone the way he or anyone else expected. He hasn't been ravaged by injuries. But he's just never been able to get on the field. Better players ahead of him.

Coming into the Carolina game, Lee had one career reception, a four-yarder against NC Central in 2017.

But he didn't. By all accounts, he's an active leader in the wide-receiver contingent and a mentor to the younger players at that position. He's worked at various WR positions and helps teach those to the freshmen.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Aaron Young out with an injury. Scott Bracey out with an injury. Jake Bobo sprains an ankle.

So, Lee gets his chance. Two catches, for 13 yards, one a catch at the Carolina 4 that helped set up a subsequent TD.

Hardly, earth-shattering. And he might not see the field much, if at all, in Duke's final three games.

But still an object lesson in how an athlete can deal with disappointment and still help his team prepare. And when he had a chance, he did something positive with it.

Oh, did I mention that he graduated from Duke last spring with a degree in political science and is currently working on a master's in the same subject?

Well deserved shout-out. Thanks, Jim. I noted he was on the field for several series and had that nice catch but I missed his other reception.

CameronBornAndBred
11-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Gotta spread the love, so no sporks, but thanks for the uplift. Not all success stories have the expected beginnings and outcomes. Trevon sounds like a guy we can take pride in on levels that matter way more than football.

chrishoke
11-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Excellent post. Congrats Mr. Lee

arnie
11-12-2018, 05:43 PM

Yes, the announces said they had no “data” on him. Thought it interesting that a complete unknown would have key receptions in that game. Good for him.

Reilly
11-12-2018, 05:46 PM
... Trevon sounds like a guy we can take pride in on levels that matter way more than football.

When Taylor caught his TD, I texted some friends how impressive he seemed in the feature earlier this year on the FB players taking part in the Fuqua event, how we have scholar-athletes yada yada ... then he dropped a few so I cussed him (but just privately) ...

yancem
11-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Always cool to hear about the role players and how they are making the best off their time on and off the field. Not everyone can be the star and many stars wouldn't be who they are without the role players that do the little things.

du_bb1
11-12-2018, 07:26 PM
like Jordan Hayes-show up, keep working and when you get a chance-kick butt !!

moonpie23
11-12-2018, 07:27 PM
way to go !!!!!

jv001
11-13-2018, 11:45 AM
I can honestly say that I can only think of 3 writers that consistently brought us this type information about Duke players. Al, Bill Brill and Mr. Sumner. Each went beyond the sidelines and end zones for Duke news and I for one have enjoyed each and every story that has come my way. Thanks Jim for a wonderful post on a wonderful Duke sports figure. GoDuke!

budwom
11-13-2018, 12:33 PM
We noticed his presence at the unc game. Very glad to hear he's done well in the class room as he had been one of our bigger recruiting disappointments of the last few years. We snatched him away
from Stanford and thought we had an impact player...I guess his impact is a bit more indirect than I might have hoped, but good for him. Now if only Scott Bracey would somehow re-emerge...

We need some impact receivers, looks like a few of the frosh could blossom next year...to join Bobo there's Smith and Mr. Impact himself, Garner, who has been thrown to twice: the first a long
long pass vs UVA he dropped, the second vs unc involved getting open and producing a holding call on the holes...what's nice about Bobo, Garner and Smith is that they all have good size, Garner
is very fast and Bobo and Smith can run as well....

DukieInKansas
11-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the update, Jim.

Mr. Lee - thank you for being a wonderful scholar-athlete. With this attitude, you will be making a mark on the world. I look forward to hearing great things about you in the future.

budwom
11-13-2018, 12:55 PM
^ it would be nice to hear some good things from him in the next few games..

HereBeforeCoachK
11-13-2018, 12:57 PM
We noticed his presence at the unc game. Very glad to hear he's done well in the class room as he had been one of our bigger recruiting disappointments of the last few years. We snatched him away
from Stanford and thought we had an impact player...I guess his impact is a bit more indirect than I might have hoped, but good for him. Now if only Scott Bracey would somehow re-emerge...

We need some impact receivers, looks like a few of the frosh could blossom next year...to join Bobo there's Smith and Mr. Impact himself, Garner, who has been thrown to twice: the first a long
long pass vs UVA he dropped, the second vs unc involved getting open and producing a holding call on the holes...what's nice about Bobo, Garner and Smith is that they all have good size, Garner
is very fast and Bobo and Smith can run as well...

From observation, which is somewhat limited, it seems to me that Garner has the best speed - and Bobo has the best hands - and while the body of work is small, looks like these two traits are obvious.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Roo-dee! Roo-dee! Roo-dee!

Trevon Lee, thanks for being at Duke and good luck in the next 3 games! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Dukelogger
11-13-2018, 05:58 PM

Thank you for the update, and thank YOU Mr. Lee for your perseverance. Go Duke!

peloton
11-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Very nice, Jim - thanks for bringing this to our attention as most probably didn't even realize he contributed in the victory against The Program Down the Road That Doesn't Play By the Rules. Best of luck to Trevon in both the classroom and on the football field during the remainder of his time at Duke!