PDA

View Full Version : Zion Williamson named ACC player, rookie of week

jimsumner
11-12-2018, 03:33 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211780252&DB_OEM_ID=4200

kAzE
11-12-2018, 03:56 PM
The first of many.

moonpie23
11-12-2018, 04:18 PM
damn DOUBLE str8

PackMan97
11-12-2018, 04:22 PM
Well deserved.

brevity
11-12-2018, 04:25 PM
But was it unanimous?

This stat is insane:

His 55 points are the second-most by a Duke player—regardless of class—through the first two games under head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Only the 56 by teammate RJ Barrett are more.

I don’t know what’s going to happen this season — I feel more and more alienated by DBR’s sometimes toxic predictive culture — but I will guess that a lot of records are going to be broken.

UrinalCake
11-12-2018, 04:36 PM
He shot a mere 22/27 from the field (81.5%) with 23 rebounds.

camion
11-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Kudos to Zion for his play this week. I must say though that I am a bit worried about the dropoff in Zion's shooting from game 1 (11 of 13) to game 2 (11 of 14). He's taking more shot(s), but not making any more baskets.

If the trend continues then by the end of the regular season he will be shooting something like 11 of 43 for the final UNC game. :eek:

On the other hand if we extrapolate his blocked shot rate in a similar way then I don't see how the Heels get off a single shot. :D

jimsumner
11-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Mike Gminski is the only other Duke player to have at least 25 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks in the same game.

G-man did it twice.

And some pretty good post players have cycled through Cameron.

Duke has a week off in December, due to exams. That might be the only week this season when a Duke player does not win the ACC rookie of the week award.

devildeac
11-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Kudos to Zion for his play this week. I must say though that I am a bit worried about the dropoff in Zion's shooting from game 1 (11of 13) to game 2 (11 of 14). He's taking more shot(s), but not making any more baskets.

If the trend continues then by the end of the regular season he will be shooting something like 11 of 43 for the final UNC game. :eek:

On the other hand if we extrapolate his blocked shot rate in a similar way then I don't see how the Heels get off a single shot. :D

Please extrapolate your second line of reasoning to his rebound stats, too. ;)

kAzE
11-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Please extrapolate your second line of reasoning to his rebound stats, too. ;)

the final stat line: 25 points on 11 of 40 shooting, 45 rebounds and 30 blocked shots. I'll take Duke in that game :p

jimsumner
11-12-2018, 05:02 PM
the final stat line: 25 points on 11 of 40 shooting, 45 rebounds and 30 blocked shots. I'll take Duke in that game :p

If he's missing 29 shots, I suspect he's padding that rebound stat with some Moses Malone rebounds.

brlftz
11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
If he's missing 29 shots, I suspect he's padding that rebound stat with some Moses Malone rebounds.

I don't think DBR is ever going to let me spork you again, but that was good.

PS: I keep sporking everyone I see, but oh well, if you've ever sporked someone you're done. Are the rules made explicit somewhere?

Kedsy
11-12-2018, 05:22 PM
PS: I keep sporking everyone I see, but oh well, if you've ever sporked someone you're done. Are the rules made explicit somewhere?

North Carolina Criminal Code.

devildeac
11-12-2018, 06:06 PM

As long as he's leading us to the promised land.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2018, 06:30 PM
As long as he's leading us to the promised land.

Hoboken?

devildeac
11-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Hoboken?

Nah, we're talking Moses here, not Sinatra or Eli Manning.

Think this:

Clipsfan
11-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Kudos to Zion for his play this week. I must say though that I am a bit worried about the dropoff in Zion's shooting from game 1 (11 of 13) to game 2 (11 of 14). He's taking more shot(s), but not making any more baskets.

If White hadn't dumped the ball off to him with almost time on the clock at the end of the first half it would have been a much more palatable 11-13.

camion
11-13-2018, 07:52 AM
If White hadn't dumped the ball off to him with almost time on the clock at the end of the first half it would have been a much more palatable 11-13.

While that would be correct if it had happened the actual stats are what I'm working from.

I prefer to deal in the real rather than mere conjecture. I'm not making up these numbers.
Oh, Wait. :confused:

DevilHorse
11-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Zion is practically a cartoon character. Now that Stan Lee is no longer writing the script, we'll see if the script changes.

Larry
DevilHorse

Troublemaker
11-13-2018, 09:10 AM
I don’t know what’s going to happen this season — I feel more and more alienated by DBR’s sometimes toxic predictive culture — but I will guess that a lot of records are going to be broken.

That's too cryptic to be helpful, brevity. Let us know what you think is the problem. Name names even! Am I a problem, for example, with all my pie betting? Is the ACC Degenerates thread a problem? I would hope that we all have our big boy pants on and can handle constructive criticism from you or others. If there really is "toxic predictive culture" that is alienating folks like you, I would certainly want to know what that is and examine my place in it if I have one. We might end up disagreeing, but I'd look at it closely.

brevity
11-13-2018, 10:15 AM

That's too cryptic to be helpful, brevity. Let us know what you think is the problem. Name names even! Am I a problem, for example, with all my pie betting? Is the ACC Degenerates thread a problem? I would hope that we all have our big boy pants on and can handle constructive criticism from you or others. If there really is "toxic predictive culture" that is alienating folks like you, I would certainly want to know what that is and examine my place in it if I have one. We might end up disagreeing, but I'd look at it closely.

To be honest, I'm beginning to think I'm the problem.

I feel like different people bring a different level of energy to a discussion, and while it's always been harder to have that discussion in print, the difference is more pronounced now. I've become more wary about making any kind of speculation. Imagine the following interchange:

"I think that once conference play starts, Duke will rely less on Zion Williamson for scoring and more on Cam Reddish."

"Would you like to bet a pie on that?"

"No, I don't... care enough..."

I suppose this is more of a "you folks go ahead without me" issue. Everyone should recognize that predictive culture has infiltrated DBR: we predict playing minutes, future season rosters, playoffs and brackets, conference standings, winners and winners against spreads, movie box office, and Congress. The interest in these threads is enthusiastically shared by many regulars and moderators. That's fine. (To use a very popular example, the NFL is really three sports in one: the game on the field, the gambling part of it, and fantasy teams. You don't have to be a casual fan; you can be invested in the outcome financially, and even possess some degree of ownership. I don't follow the NFL.)

So the predictive culture is there, but is it toxic? That's a matter of opinion, and I happen to believe it can be. It's one of the major reasons I stopped playing or even contributing to the seasonal box office game, and a minor reason why I didn't post to the Midterm Election thread. Constant takes and outrages can be exhausting, and I sense a collective fervor that I do not share. I enjoy things as they happen, and while I think about how things might go, these days I mostly keep those thoughts to myself.

Leaving out one person is no great loss, but if others also feel discouraged from participating, then maybe there is some level of toxicity.

ChillinDuke
11-13-2018, 10:48 AM

I feel like different people bring a different level of energy to a discussion, and while it's always been harder to have that discussion in print, the difference is more pronounced now. I've become more wary about making any kind of speculation. Imagine the following interchange:

"I think that once conference play starts, Duke will rely less on Zion Williamson for scoring and more on Cam Reddish."

I suppose this is more of a "you folks go ahead without me" issue. Everyone should recognize that predictive culture has infiltrated DBR: we predict playing minutes, future season rosters, playoffs and brackets, conference standings, winners and winners against spreads, movie box office, and Congress. The interest in these threads is enthusiastically shared by many regulars and moderators. That's fine. (To use a very popular example, the NFL is really three sports in one: the game on the field, the gambling part of it, and fantasy teams. You don't have to be a casual fan; you can be invested in the outcome financially, and even possess some degree of ownership. I don't follow the NFL.)

So the predictive culture is there, but is it toxic? That's a matter of opinion, and I happen to believe it can be. It's one of the major reasons I stopped playing or even contributing to the seasonal box office game, and a minor reason why I didn't post to the Midterm Election thread. Constant takes and outrages can be exhausting, and I sense a collective fervor that I do not share. I enjoy things as they happen, and while I think about how things might go, these days I mostly keep those thoughts to myself.

Leaving out one person is no great loss, but if others also feel discouraged from participating, then maybe there is some level of toxicity.

Brev, thank you for sharing.

Although I don't explicitly feel the same way, I can empathize with this view and even agree with it if not explicitly feeling it myself.

I, for one (although there are many more than just one), don't want to leave anyone out of the community here, let alone you, Brev.

- Chillin

Award89
11-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Flying Zion, Man of Iron,
Jumps through the roof without tryin'.

It’s the hoop he keeps his eye on.
Don’t stand in front: you can’t deny him.

Other teams, they try to pile on.
He shakes them off and leaves them cryin'.

Burma Shave

Troublemaker
11-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Thanks for clarifying, brev. I suspected (you could say predicted :-) you would say something like this because -- honest to God -- I had been thinking about it myself. I do worry that all the pie betting could make it so that people are less likely to express their opinions. At the same time, sometimes opinions are so strident and definitive (despite living in an obviously uncertain world) that they demand to be put to the test. I like the accountability factor of pie-betting, and I also therefore love the Degenerate Gambling contest. (If I'm right about Duke beating Kentucky, I like it being reflected with +500 fake smackeroos, and when I'm wrong about something, I like to see my score go down, too.)

But at the same time, I don't want simple, measured opinions from folks to have pie bets thrown in their face, a la the hypothetical example you gave about Cam and Zion. There is hopefully some way everyone can coexist on this. I'll mull this over some more.