PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v E Mich (Wed 11/14 7pm ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

OldPhiKap
11-12-2018, 01:43 PM
The Eagles come in 3-0.

Guard Paul Jackson, 6'2" senior, averages 18.7 ppg and 6 apg so far.

Senior Forward Elijah Minnie, 6'9", scored 17 to lead the team in their last game.

The campus is between Detroit and Ann Arbor, founded in 1849 as Michigan State Normal School. It's school mascot is named "Swoop."

It's colors are green and white, which looks the same as Sparty to me but there is probably a difference in shade of green I might be missing.

Big welcome to Swoop and the Eagles.

#LGD.

kAzE
11-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Last tune-up game before going to Maui. Hopefully, we will see some improvements with our defensive communication after a couple more practices and reviewing the Army film. I have no doubt Auburn and Gonzaga (if we play either of them) are going to give us tougher games than UK or Army.

MChambers
11-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Shouldn't they be the Emus and not the Eagles?

UrinalCake
11-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Is this the team we lost to in the first round during Chris Collins’ senior year?

devildeac
11-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Is this the team we lost to in the first round during Chris Collins’ senior year?

Nah, those guys are much older now.

(sorry, it's DBR and I couldn't resist :rolleyes::o)

Nepos
11-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Shouldn't they be the Emus and not the Eagles?

With Rod Hull as coach...

Troublemaker
11-12-2018, 04:27 PM
EMU's current coach Rob Murphy is a former Syracuse assistant and will play zone the entire game.

Duke will have to pass well, grab some o-boards and of course hit some shots. Hopefully we dominate on defense, too.

jimsumner
11-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Same school, yes.

Only two future NBA players played in that game.

Both were EMU players. Earl Boykins and Derrick Dials. Boykins is 5-5. Second-shortest player to ever play in the NBA. Dials is the player San Antonio kept for their final roster spot in 2001, after coming down to Dials and Chris Carrawell.

So, maybe a grudge match. :)

Reilly
11-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Nah, those guys are much older now.

(sorry, it's DBR and I couldn't resist :rolleyes::o)

This post belongs in the "Ymm, Borscht" thread ...

OldPhiKap
11-12-2018, 05:37 PM
This post belongs in the "Ymm, Borscht" thread ...

I'll have to loosen my belt.

pfrduke
11-12-2018, 05:47 PM
EMU's current coach Rob Murphy is a former Syracuse assistant and will play zone the entire game.

Duke will have to pass well, grab some o-boards and of course hit some shots. Hopefully we dominate on defense, too.

We played them last 5 years ago - Murphy was there then too and had a 7-footer anchoring the zone. We won by 23. Andre Dawkins shot well against the zone and Jabari had 23.

Saratoga2
11-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Last tune-up game before going to Maui. Hopefully, we will see some improvements with our defensive communication after a couple more practices and reviewing the Army film. I have no doubt Auburn and Gonzaga (if we play either of them) are going to give us tougher games than UK or Army.

This is a very young Duke team and I expect them to learn quickly. The talent is there but they need to learn to play transition defense and M2M with better rotations and switches. No doubt a team will come along that will humble Duke but I don't expect them to go down without a battle. Meanwhile, this is a fun team to watch.

Neals384
11-12-2018, 06:11 PM
OK, just pulling a few factoids from box scores and the Eagles roster.

They do have some size, as the starters include 6-7 Ty Groce, 6-10 James Thompson IV and 6-11 Boubacar Toure, who is averaging a double-double so far. Should be a good game for Bolden and DeLaurier to show what they can do against some pretty tall bigs. Paul Jackson is the point guard, averaging 18 pts and 6 assists. Guard Damari Parris is the 5th starter. 2 Seniors, 2 junior and 1 soph.

2 of the Eagles' 3 wins come against NAIA opponents, plus a come-from-behind 4 pt win vs. kenpom #293 Drexel.

awhom111
11-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3457660.jpg

Channels:
http://theacc.com/sports/2018/11/8/MBB_RSN-EM-DU-1114.aspx

Options by location:

Black:
-On TV via station on list linked above.
-Online via service from channel on list linked above (may need to be an in-market subscriber).

Green:
-On TV via station on list linked above.
-On TV via ESPN College Extra (not all providers, DirecTV 788 and Verizon FIOS 821).
-Online via service from channel on list linked above (may need to be an in-market subscriber).
-Online via ACC Network Extra portion of WatchESPN.

Devilwin
11-14-2018, 08:35 AM
Direct TV FSN...:cool:

OldPhiKap
11-14-2018, 09:09 AM
Duke is favored by 23 and the over/under is in the 149-152 range. So about 87-64 Duke give or take. Sounds about right, given that they are a zone team.

Reddevil
11-14-2018, 09:28 AM
No coverage here in Richmond, VA. Will have to settle for Michigan @ Villanova and hope for some updates. I'm a bit surprised though. I figured Duke was "must see TV" this year and someone bigger would pick it up. Contracts huh? Seems the ratings would be worth the buyout. Maybe that's not how it works. I don't know. Just ranting in disappointment.:mad:

MChambers
11-14-2018, 10:24 AM
No coverage here in Richmond, VA. Will have to settle for Michigan @ Villanova and hope for some updates. I'm a bit surprised though. I figured Duke was "must see TV" this year and someone bigger would pick it up. Contracts huh? Seems the ratings would be worth the buyout. Maybe that's not how it works. I don't know. Just ranting in disappointment.:mad:

Stream it to a phone or tablet using WatchESPN, and cast it to a TV, if you can.

sagegrouse
11-14-2018, 11:05 AM

It's listed in over 20 places on my DirecTV schedule. Maybe one won't be blacked out?

Reddevil
11-14-2018, 11:08 AM
It's listed in over 20 places on my DirecTV schedule. Maybe one won't be blacked out?

I currently have Verizon FIOS. I am going to try MChambers suggestion as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

MChambers
11-14-2018, 11:11 AM
I currently have Verizon FIOS. I am going to try MChambers suggestion as long as it doesn't cost me anything.

I have Verizon FIOS too and that's my plan. You also can watch a replay after the game or tomorrow, if that's more convenient.

Troublemaker
11-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Will be interesting to see who gets the most work at the high post / free throw line area against EMU's zone.

I'm guessing Zion. Cam would be fine, but he's more needed outside to stretch the zone out with his shooting. It could be RJ if we want to use Zion as a lob dunk threat behind the zone.

MChambers
11-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Will be interesting to see who gets the most work at the high post / free throw line area against EMU's zone.

I'm guessing Zion. Cam would be fine, but he's more needed outside to stretch the zone out with his shooting. It could be RJ if we want to use Zion as a lob dunk threat behind the zone.

Might be time for Duke's Death Lineup. RJ at the high post, Zion down low, with Tre, Alex or Jack, and Cam along the perimeter.

Nrrrrvous
11-14-2018, 11:46 AM

I thought Zion did a better job of turning from the free throw line and taking it for a layup. RJ seemed to turn and immediately take the jumper from there. So this was only a couple of times each, and from my memory, both times for Zion ended in points, the couple of times for RJ ended in missed jumpers. Again, limited sample size, but...

DavidBenAkiva
11-14-2018, 12:25 PM

I could also see a few situations in which Zion is in the high post and Marques is down low, along the baseline, about 10 feet away from the lane and buried behind the basket almost. The zone keys in on Zion while Marques finds an open lane for a lob. He did that a little in the Kentucky game and Wendell Carter, Jr. exploited the Syracuse zone quite a bit with that maneuver.

dukelifer
11-14-2018, 02:20 PM

It will be a good test as many team will try this- some will be better at it than others.

WV_Iron_Duke
11-14-2018, 02:58 PM
In N VA on Verizon Fios the game is on ch 821. It must be free because it is letting me record it on a Fios dvr.

Billy Dat
11-14-2018, 03:10 PM
For anyone in the NYC area, it is playing on the YES (Yankees) Network but there is a Nets game during that time slot. As a result, they aren't showing it until 10:30PM as a replay.

I, too, am curious to see how we'll attack the zone and agree that Zion at the foul line is the best approach because he is such a good passer. But, I am sure K will try a bunch of different looks in there...hopefully we'll also get some live ball turnovers and even push off makes to see if we can get good shots before the zone sets up.

MChambers
11-14-2018, 04:31 PM
In N VA on Verizon Fios the game is on ch 821. It must be free because it is letting me record it on a Fios dvr.

Appears that it is on 821 in the District of Columbia too!

kAzE
11-14-2018, 04:35 PM

IIRC, we used both RJ and Zion in the zone buster role when Kentucky tried to use zone on us for about 7-8 possessions (it did absolutely nothing to slow us down).

BandAlum83
11-14-2018, 04:58 PM
It will be a good test as many team will try this- some will be better at it than others.

Is it my imagination, or didn't Army play zone most of the game? At least it looked like it. Or maybe a matchup zone of some sort?

Bob Green
11-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Appears that it is on 821 in the District of Columbia too!

The game is on 821 in Hampton Roads as well but that channel is not free. My TV tells me I can add the required sports package for $14 a month.

I'll double check at game time but most likely will be streaming via WatchESPN.

Billy Dat
11-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Is it my imagination, or didn't Army play zone most of the game? At least it looked like it. Or maybe a matchup zone of some sort?

It was definitely some sort of hybrid.

moonpie23
11-14-2018, 06:10 PM
sorry if this was covered before, but, what station is the game on?

Bob Green
11-14-2018, 06:14 PM

See Post #14.

rasputin
11-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Depends on where you are: Fox Sports this or that, unless you're getting something else locally.

-jk
11-14-2018, 06:24 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Troublemaker
11-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Man, really excited to see Zion, RJ, and Cam try to finish against EMU's trees. I mean, our zone offense should still revolve around ball movement and using our passing IQ to find uncontested shots. But the nature of Zion and RJ's aggressiveness should still lead to some around-the-basket clashes of finisher vs shotblocker.

There's a decent chance we'll see Zion dunk on someone tonight.

Skydog
11-14-2018, 06:48 PM
Direct TV FSN...:cool:
I tried to remotely set it to record using my DirectTV app and despite FSN being included in my package and the app listing the game on many FSN channels (646,653, 654, 659, 662, 663, 668) it refused to let me record any of them. Worse it doesn't say why (blacked out, don't get that flavor of FSN, etc.). I can watch the beginning of the game live on ESPN+ but I wanted to record it to watch the 2nd half, which I won't be able to watch live. DTV app is poorly constructed and confusing. :(

whereinthehellami
11-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Barrett cold so far. I like the energy and focus so far though.

MChambers
11-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Turns out I can’t get 821 in DC, so we are casting the game off a phone to our TeeVee. Newfangled tech!

lotusland
11-14-2018, 07:19 PM
But how did you get it on your phone in a blackout area?

Skydog
11-14-2018, 07:20 PM
I like our chances in this game.

AGDukesky
11-14-2018, 07:20 PM
5 dunks in less than 6 minutes. Make that 6 in less than 8

Indoor66
11-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Gotta love the ball sharing.

kako
11-14-2018, 07:23 PM
I hope Goldwire can get good minutes. As much as people rave about other freshmen and their ability to handle the ball, it would be great to have a true backup PG to Jones.

whereinthehellami
11-14-2018, 07:24 PM
OMG on the passing and the ball pressure so far. Fun to watch!

kako
11-14-2018, 07:26 PM
I'm on Comcast Xfinity here in California. It used to be that I could not watch Duke games that were on NC-local networks (like Fox Sports South). I had to hope for ESPN and affiliates. But tonight I was able to stream the Duke game on Xfinity via the Internet. I don't have the options like record, skip, pause, etc., but I am watching the game. It looks like cable is trying to fight off all the other competitors.

WHOneedsSOX
11-14-2018, 07:28 PM
That dunk was insane.

pfrduke
11-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Not really getting the chance to see the team run much zone offense because EMU hasn't had much of a chance to set up any defense. Impressive harassing defense from the team.

MChambers
11-14-2018, 07:34 PM
But how did you get it on your phone in a blackout area?

WatchESPN app

pfrduke
11-14-2018, 07:35 PM
That dunk was insane.

I appreciated the freeze-frame of where he caught the ball. Hands were above the square.

whereinthehellami
Zion might have been up around 12-13 feet for that dunk, crazy! Cameron sounds really loud.

RJ with some nice, easy lobs.

kAzE
That Zion dunk was unreal. Cam's pass was at least 5 feet off target and Zion went up and got it anyway. Ridiculous.

You think Jack White's played some Australian rules football? He's on the floor fighting dudes every play.

MChambers
11-14-2018, 07:36 PM
That dunk was insane.
Shades of Grant!

Skydog
11-14-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm on Comcast Xfinity here in California. It used to be that I could not watch Duke games that were on NC-local networks (like Fox Sports South). I had to hope for ESPN and affiliates. But tonight I was able to stream the Duke game on Xfinity via the Internet. I don't have the options like record, skip, pause, etc., but I am watching the game. It looks like cable is trying to fight off all the other competitors.

I'm at my office in Durham using ESPN+ and game showed up as blacked out on my Ipad & iphone -- until I turned off wifi. Cellular gets around the local blackout for some reason. Didn't know that was a thing.

Native
11-14-2018, 07:37 PM
Shades of Grant!

Yo, yo, yo!

MChambers
11-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Not really getting the chance to see the team run much zone offense because EMU hasn't had much of a chance to set up any defense. Impressive harassing defense from the team.

Yes, I’m feeling better about the D.

And when EMU is set up, the lobs look awfully good.

WHOneedsSOX
11-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Overall the team looks good but the free throw shooting is ugly.

Refs not really calling any fouls on Duke either. Feel kind of bad for EMU.

ChrisP
11-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Overall the team looks good but the free throw shooting is ugly.

Agreed. Seems kinda lame to complain when it's 46-9 but our FT shooting is not good at all. Haven't checked the stats, but guessing we'd have at least 10 more points with even decent FT shooting.

UrinalCake
11-14-2018, 07:47 PM
Full court press is working great. I think it will be a real weapon this year, even against better opponents. Anything we can do to get out in transition, where we are unstoppable.

jipops
11-14-2018, 07:51 PM
All assists coming from freshmen right now.

WHOneedsSOX
11-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Agreed. Seems kinda lame to complain when it's 46-9 but our FT shooting is not good at all. Haven't checked the stats, but guessing we'd have at least 10 more points with even decent FT shooting.
Barrett must be around or under 50% on the season too. It'll get better but he'll need to improve that.

kAzE
11-14-2018, 07:55 PM
These guys want to play slow and we're speeding them up like crazy. I can't wait to see how these guys handle UVa's defense. Should be an incredible match up.

whereinthehellami
11-14-2018, 07:55 PM
The passing is at such a high level. All 4 of the freshmen are willing and talented passers.

MChambers
11-14-2018, 07:56 PM
Full court press is working great. I think it will be a real weapon this year, even against better opponents. Anything we can do to get out in transition, where we are unstoppable.

Best full court press from Duke in many years, maybe since 2001. Wonder if it work against a very talented perimeter, like UVa’s?

AGDukesky
11-14-2018, 08:00 PM
FT shooting and some bad passes are the only thing to complain about. So much fun to watch this team when it gets going...

hallcity
11-14-2018, 08:03 PM
When was the last time Duke held an opponent to 13 points in a half?

MChambers
11-14-2018, 08:07 PM
1979?

Skydog
11-14-2018, 08:09 PM

Off the top of my head 2017 - we held UNCheats to 10 in 1st half. Great win at Kenan.

whereinthehellami
11-14-2018, 08:16 PM
What a pass from Jones to Zion for the alley-oop, keep in mind he did that at full speed with a defender on him.

duke74
11-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Wow... just wow. When does ESPN change its highlight segment to the top 100?

And I love the defensive intensity, quick hands, and floor burns.

6th Man
11-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Is Reddish injured? Noticed no second half play yet.

WHOneedsSOX
11-14-2018, 08:22 PM

Hmm must be. Saw on Twitter he's on the bench though.

DrinkABrew
11-14-2018, 08:22 PM

I was wondering the same thing, hes on the bench but not getting in the game.

subzero02
11-14-2018, 08:27 PM

any word on cam?

dukelion
11-14-2018, 08:35 PM
any word on cam?

Had a wrap on his calf so I assume it's in relation to that.

Also saw him joking a lot on the bench......prob just keeping him fresh for Maui.

WHOneedsSOX
11-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Had a wrap on his calf so I assume it's in relation to that.

Also saw him joking a lot on the bench...prob just keeping him fresh for Maui.

Stood up and cheered a few times too so hopefully not too bad.