PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke at Northwestern (11/11/18, 2PM EST, BTN)

DU82
11-11-2018, 01:55 PM
The women’s season starts in a few minutes, playing at Coach P’s alma mater. A home visit for Haley and Faith.

With Kyra out for the season, and Mikayla not quite ready, will our first and second year players step up. Can Leaonna move it up a notch and provide a steady go-to player?

The game is on BTN, put it on your iPad while watching the second half of the men’s game.

DU82
11-11-2018, 02:26 PM
18-11 NU after one. First game jitters for some, similar issues with ball control and opponents’s threes.

DU82
11-11-2018, 02:50 PM
33-25 NU at half. Main stat difference is 14 turnovers to 8.

We do not have a point guard right now. It’s clear from our play.

chrishoke
11-11-2018, 03:52 PM
We are getting shellacked. Going to be a long year.

loran16
11-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Well that was embarrassing. Duke lost every quarter even. Like I get that it's a road game and this is a team trying to find itself after losing some critical players to graduation, but that was a shellacking.

Sigh.

chrishoke
11-11-2018, 03:58 PM
94-58 final. Ranked no more. Embarrassing.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 03:59 PM
94-58 final. Ranked no more. Embarrassing.

Long way from the glory days of Coach G......(and why she didn't win big at Texas.....I've no idea.)

Stray Gator
11-11-2018, 04:25 PM
The final score was actually 84-58, which is bad enough. Part of the problem, of course, was shooting less than 20% on three-point attempts (3-16). More concerning to me, though, is the fact that the same weakness we've seen in season after season has reared its ugly head early: Turnovers. Today, Duke had 24 turnovers to Northwestern's 14. And during the portions of the second half that I was able to watch after the men's game wrapped, Duke seemed fortunate to recover a number of errant passes and fumbled possessions that became loose balls on the floor, or the total turnovers -- and resulting score differential -- could have been worse. Another disappointing stat that is somewhat related: Our women only had 9 assists, to 19 for Northwestern.

At some point, I think it's fair to ask why it appears that our players, who come in as respectably rated recruits, consistently seem to lack proficiency in the fundamental skills related to passing and catching the basketball.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 04:48 PM
At some point, I think it's fair to ask why it appears that our players, who come in as respectably rated recruits, consistently seem to lack proficiency in the fundamental skills related to passing and catching the basketball.

I remember the Coach G Team that beat Tennessee in that shocker. That team could pass and shoot. My memory is that they were not super athletic, but they were super fundamental and better on O than D.

Then G started to recruit to have gritty defense first teams. Duke got better, but to me, they became unwatchable. They played D well enough to hold most opponents under 40%, but they rarely seemed to shoot 40% themselves. Their games were root canals, and I just faded away from watching or caring really.

So I've seen few games the last number of years, but your description of what happened today seems like same ole same ole.

Kedsy
11-11-2018, 04:55 PM
I think it's going to be an up-and-down year. I don't think we're going to win too many games when Haley and Jade combine to shoot 6 for 26, or when Haley and Leaonna combine for 14 turnovers. But we know all three of those players are capable of much better.

I'm not ready to concede the season yet.

miramar
11-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Just before she left for Columbia Law School two years ago, Laura Keeley of the N&O wrote that since McCallie tended to underperform even with top recruits, she wondered what would happen in the future with an apparent decline in the WBB talent pool.

While NW is just one game, same as the men vs. Kentucky, Keeley's question could take on added relevance this season. I'm hoping for the best, but it could be tough sledding.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2018, 05:28 PM
I didn't watch the game (was on the road), but I'm not sure how this can be called "embarrassing". This is the very first game of the season from this team, and it might turn out that this team is not a good one. That would not surprise me with the number of injuries and graduation of high caliber players we've had.
I was honestly surprised that we were ranked (mentioned that in another thread). I think we were gifted that number due to the name on the jersey.
I'm not saying this team doesn't have the opportunity to become a good team as the season progresses, but knowing women's basketball, and how scores can get out of hand very quickly, I don't consider the first loss of the season in a game played by two unknown teams "embarrassing".
I'm more than prepared to see this group of women with with a very short post-season, if they are lucky enough to have one at all.
How they play, and how they are coached, in the next couple months will obviously make that determination. Looking forward (with much trepidation!) to seeing the replay.

chrishoke
11-11-2018, 06:13 PM
I didn't watch the game (was on the road), but I'm not sure how this can be called "embarrassing". This is the very first game of the season from this team, and it might turn out that this team is not a good one. That would not surprise me with the number of injuries and graduation of high caliber players we've had.
I was honestly surprised that we were ranked (mentioned that in another thread). I think we were gifted that number due to the name on the jersey.
I'm not saying this team doesn't have the opportunity to become a good team as the season progresses, but knowing women's basketball, and how scores can get out of hand very quickly, I don't consider the first loss of the season in a game played by two unknown teams "embarrassing".
I'm more than prepared to see this group of women with with a very short post-season, if they are lucky enough to have one at all.
How they play, and how they are coached, in the next couple months will obviously make that determination. Looking forward (with much trepidation!) to seeing the replay.

Fair enough. I know I'll be watching and supporting the team all year long, through thick and thin.

dudog84
11-11-2018, 06:31 PM
From what I can tell, Northwestern doesn't have a single top-50 recruit on their team.

Couldn't get the game, but it appears we were out-shot, out-rebounded, out-everythinged.

I don't think Haley is a point guard (neither are any of the other starters) and playing point appears to mess up her shot. Missing Kyra but that's spilt milk. Need to give the ball to Rayah and tell her to take care of it. No assists but only 2 turnovers in 20 minutes.

Kinda hoping to find out the entire team has food poisoning from Chicago deep-dish pizza.

killerleft
11-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Fair enough. I know I'll be watching and supporting the team all year long, through thick and thin.

Me, too. Got 2 tix for all the ACC home games this year.