PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 42 - Lying Cheating Scumbags Forever 35 -- Post-Game Thoughts

JasonEvans
11-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Feel free to talk about how we whupped up on those cheaters here.

arnie
11-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Feel free to talk about how we whupped up on those cheaters here.

Daniel Jones was amazing👍

JasonEvans
11-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Wonderful victory, but against a normal team there is no way we win that game making the number of mistakes (kicking game, dropped passes, turnovers) we made. But luckily, we weren’t playing a normal team. We were playing a Larry Fedora team.

-Jason "we really need to start a GoFundMe to keep him on as UNC coach forever!" Evans

75Crazie
11-10-2018, 04:16 PM
I will bask in this glow as long as I can, and attempt to avoid thinking about what is going to happen in 7 days.

dukelifer
11-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Daniel Jones was amazing👍
I suspect the NFL is paying close attention.

dukelifer
11-10-2018, 04:27 PM
I will bask in this glow as long as I can, and attempt to avoid thinking about what is going to happen in 7 days.

Need to stay healthy-particularly Jones.

chrishoke
11-10-2018, 04:28 PM
7-3 vs. 1-8. Pretty damn sweet.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Need to stay healthy-particularly Jones.

Take a wrong turn and go to Myrtle Beach...give em the W. Come back healthy 7-4.

As for today, I thought the Cheats would be closer to Duke in ability - but Duke is far superior, just failed to make 4-5-6 plays that would've run up the margins. This is a game we'd have lost in years past. Hopefully in years future it's a game we'll take care of business and put a team away when we have the chance.

ehdg
11-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Daniel Jones has an unbelievable game both running n throwing the damn ball! He really put on some show accounting for 4 TD’s, 3 throwing n 1 running. The offensive line did a very nice job protecting him n opening holes for him to run through. Defense came up big in the 2nd half allowing just 1 TD. Very impressive 2nd half by the D especially with how depleted they are. Humphreys had a great game specially without having Joe Giles-Harris to help him. The Victory Bell stays in Durham for a third year! Congrats Blue Devils!

wilson
11-10-2018, 04:47 PM
I was accompanying students at an all-day competition and thus unable to watch the game, but in light of Daniel Jones’s numbers, unc’s pass rushers do not in fact appear to have met each other in the backfield.

loran16
11-10-2018, 04:51 PM
The one down note in this game: Dylan Singleton is having season ending surgery. At this point, I would tell Cut not to bring back JGH next week or any other partially injured players (Brittain Brown) in a game where we're going to be 25 point underdogs. Not worth it.

Otherwise, outstanding game. The offensive line was generally much better, giving Jones plenty of time and Jones took great use of it. If Chris Taylor and a few others (Daniel Helm for one) could've reeled in a number of balls thrown their way that they dropped, this game would not have been close

BLPOG
11-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Wonderful victory, but against a normal team there is no way we win that game making the number of mistakes (kicking game, dropped passes, turnovers) we made. But luckily, we weren’t playing a normal team. We were playing a Larry Fedora team.

-Jason "we really need to start a GoFundMe to keep him on as UNC coach forever!" Evans

Inspired by a great movie scene...

After a melancholy ride to Chapel Hill, The Hat receives a text from Bubba.

Larry, come by my office.

The Hat goes instead to his own office, but, to his dismay, finds Bubba waiting in his path. The Hat cautiously opens the conversation.

Fedora: "It's good to see you, boss."

Cunningham: "You contemptible pig! I stayed at games in Kenan for you. I stood at the back of the stands, waiting, for you, with three hundred fans in attendance. The administration hired the most pliable professors in the state. To recruit the best players, Fats used up his last favor with the dental mafia. So for me, for the Rams club, and for me, I must now fire you."

The Hat falls to his knees.

Fedora: "Oh, please, don't fire me! Please, please don't fire me! You know I love you, Bubba. I wouldn't fail ya. It wasn't my fault!"

Cunningham: "You miserable slug! You think you can talk your way out of 4 of 23? You betrayed me."

Fedora: "No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for the refs. My visor didn't come back from the cleaners. Swofford came in from out of town. Fats stole my car. There was an earthquake, and Roy wouldn't stop complaining about the fans. A terrible flood. Packs of wolves! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

[The Hat removes his visor to make a wordless appeal, and the athletic director visibly softens]

Cunningham: "Oh, Larry... Larry..."

[They embrace and The Hat signs a contract extension]

jv001
11-10-2018, 05:02 PM
The one down note in this game: Dylan Singleton is having season ending surgery. At this point, I would tell Cut not to bring back JGH next week or any other partially injured players (Brittain Brown) in a game where we're going to be 25 point underdogs. Not worth it.

Otherwise, outstanding game. The offensive line was generally much better, giving Jones plenty of time and Jones took great use of it. If Chris Taylor and a few others (Daniel Helm for one) could've reeled in a number of balls thrown their way that they dropped, this game would not have been close

I was beginning to think that the delay of game penalty on our last possession was going to come back and bite us in the butt. We almost had another but the coaches called timeout. A great game but we need to clean up the dropped passes and turnovers. Great, great game for Daniel. GoDuke!

Acymetric
11-10-2018, 05:07 PM
I was beginning to think that the delay of game penalty on our last possession was going to come back and bite us in the butt. We almost had another but the coaches called timeout. A great game but we need to clean up the dropped passes and turnovers. Great, great game for Daniel. GoDuke!

We also need to fix whatever is causing so many offsides calls.

jv001
11-10-2018, 05:11 PM
We also need to fix whatever is causing so many offsides calls.

Yes, and the kicking game can improve as well. One missed and one blocked. As someone up thread posted, we should have won going away but just beating the scums from Cheat Hill is always a great thing. GoDuke & ;)the cheats know where they can go.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Carolina looked good.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 05:18 PM
The Hat speaks:

https://youtu.be/2ZqDRBxgMxg

Wander
11-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Wonderful victory, but against a normal team there is no way we win that game making the number of mistakes (kicking game, dropped passes, turnovers) we made.

Not sure dropped passes even count as "mistakes" for us anymore. It'd be like blaming Tre Jones for not being 6' 6"... it is what it is, and it's not going to change. We are so few players away from being a top 15 team.

Of course, we won 4 games in my 4 years at Duke, so can't complain about 7-3.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 05:57 PM
2 fumbles, forced no turnovers, dumb penalties, terrible punting, blocked FG, a ton of dropped passes, and a band-aid secondary. Not even counting the late interception which UNC should have just batted down for better field result.

Really glad we won this. But we could have put this game away SOOOOOO much earlier. Lots to improve on before heading to Clemson.

TruBlu
11-10-2018, 06:11 PM
If not for our mistakes, there’s no way that those shoe salesmen from Orange County could have stayed close.

dudog84
11-10-2018, 06:38 PM
Inspired by a great movie scene...

After a melancholy ride to Chapel Hill, The Hat receives a text from Bubba.

Larry, come by my office.

The Hat goes instead to his own office, but, to his dismay, finds Bubba waiting in his path. The Hat cautiously opens the conversation.

Fedora: "It's good to see you, boss."

Cunningham: "You contemptible pig! I stayed at games in Kenan for you. I stood at the back of the stands, waiting, for you, with three hundred fans in attendance. The administration hired the most pliable professors in the state. To recruit the best players, Fats used up his last favor with the dental mafia. So for me, for the Rams club, and for me, I must now fire you."

The Hat falls to his knees.

Fedora: "Oh, please, don't fire me! Please, please don't fire me! You know I love you, Bubba. I wouldn't fail ya. It wasn't my fault!"

Cunningham: "You miserable slug! You think you can talk your way out of 4 of 23? You betrayed me."

Fedora: "No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for the refs. My visor didn't come back from the cleaners. Swofford came in from out of town. Fats stole my car. There was an earthquake, and Roy wouldn't stop complaining about the fans. A terrible flood. Packs of wolves! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

[The Hat removes his visor to make a wordless appeal, and the athletic director visibly softens]

Cunningham: "Oh, Larry... Larry..."

[They embrace and The Hat signs a contract extension]

Very entertaining :), but seriously...can Fedora survive this season? I think this is his 8th year and his overall record is barely mediocre.

duke2x
11-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Very entertaining :), but seriously...can Fedora survive this season? I think this is his 8th year and his overall record is barely mediocre.

I think there's 12,000,000 reasons why he will return next year.

Ding ding. I'm glad we found a way to survive and advance today. Jones took advantage of the fact that 1/2 the NFL was there to see him.

The Duke-Wake winner in two weeks is the Big 4 champion.

arnie
11-10-2018, 07:01 PM

David Glenn who tells us he knows everything; seems certain the Cheats won’t belly up the $12 mill payout that remains.

Wander
11-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Random note alert! Duke now has a won over the division champion of a power conference (Northwestern).

Furniture
11-10-2018, 07:13 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/marilyn_payne/status/1061377345796431873

cato
11-10-2018, 07:22 PM

He has them playing better than their record. The team is so close.

The wise choice is clearly to keep Fedora.

DukeDad02
11-10-2018, 07:27 PM
On Coach Logan's Radio show this morning - with the Coach in absentia - both Joe Ovies and Steve Wiseman picked the Cheats to win. Regrets gents?

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Steve Wiseman’s initial impressions:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article221370410.html

(I assume okay to post but correct me if wrong)

billwh
11-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Up in the stands, it was interesting. Lots of hooping and hollering by the UNC fans in the first half around my seats. In the second, there was a change. Several times the Durham police came down the isles (I sit about about half way up on the 50), and we all wondered what was happening down toward the first row.... Then, about the 4th quarter, the chirping started to quiet. I think they realized the end was near and there was no return. There was this one women with a UNC sweatshirt that was constantly throwing barbs at the Duke faithful. As she left mid-way through the 4th quarter, we gave her a standing ovation. I will say that UNC fought hard, and I was never certain of a win. But, it will be fun in the hallways next week ...

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Up in the stands, it was interesting. Lots of hooping and hollering by the UNC fans in the first half around my seats. In the second, there was a change. Several times the Durham police came down the isles (I sit about about half way up on the 50), and we all wondered what was happening down toward the first row... Then, about the 4th quarter, the chirping started to quiet. I think they realized the end was near and there was no return. There was this one women with a UNC sweatshirt that was constantly throwing barbs at the Duke faithful. As she left mid-way through the 4th quarter, we gave her a standing ovation. I will say that UNC fought hard, and I was never certain of a win. But, it will be fun in the hallways next week ...

“Drive home safely!!”

dudog84
11-10-2018, 08:02 PM
I think there's 12,000,000 reasons why he will return next year.

Ding ding. I'm glad we found a way to survive and advance today. Jones took advantage of the fact that 1/2 the NFL was there to see him.

The Duke-Wake winner in two weeks is the Big 4 champion.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Of course, that's a pittance compared to what they spend on PR and lawyers' fees.

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Thanks, didn't know that.

Of course, that's a pittance compared to what they spend on PR and lawyers' fees.

INC’s lawyers and PR firms got much better results, to be fair.

devildeac
11-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Steve Wiseman’s initial impressions:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article221370410.html

(I assume okay to post but correct me if wrong)

Sounds like Cut was none too happy with our receivers (even with 361 yards passing :eek:):

“I don’t know how many total yards he would have ended up with had we caught everything he threw."

Shoot, we didn't even need to catch everything he threw but bounced passes off helmets and a drop at about the cheats 20 yard line would have added nearly another 100 yards I'd estimate.

Reilly
11-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ...

OldPhiKap
11-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Sounds like Cut was none too happy with our receivers (even with 361 yards passing :eek:):

“I don’t know how many total yards he would have ended up with had we caught everything he threw."

Shoot, we didn't even need to catch everything he threw but bounced passes off helmets and a drop at about the cheats 20 yard line would have added nearly another 100 yards I'd estimate.

Or, pumping up Daniel to the scouts (like K does). Either way, he is right.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ...

Your bell sounds dark blue. Which is nice.

Reilly
11-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Dear God, we have a great coach. I loved how the color guy Archer said on TV about Cut, "he's a great human" (not 'he's a great coach').

PackMan97
11-10-2018, 08:48 PM
9f and thank you, Duke.

enjoy :)

Credit to Barstool Pack on Twitter
https://twitter.com/BarstoolPack/status/1061367200655794177

Bob Green
A fantastic day at Wallace Wade Stadium. The weather was beautiful, the game was entertaining and the good guys won!

richmclean
We left a lot of time on the clock - at least a minute - by not letting the play clock run down more early-mid 4th qtr. Then toward the end of the game we start getting delay of game by letting it run too far. Another factor why this shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Avvocato
11-10-2018, 08:52 PM
All wins are good wins. All wins over UNC are great. Crazy game and happy to have survived. Nice job by the defense and the staff to regroup at halftime. The defense has really struggled the last few weeks, particularly against the run (TV showed a stat that our D had given up over 1,000 yards rushing over a 10-quarter period, which is just ugly). I’m not big on blaming injuries, but you can tell that the injuries up front are taking a toll. Cerenord’s and JGH’s absence have been felt. Hopefully McSwain is okay. Regardless, a nice job by the defense to respond. It’s funny about the offense. They put up 42, but it felt like we should have scored another 20. We made big plays all over the field, but you can’t drop balls like that, not to mention turnovers and botched kicks. For God’s sake, Chris Taylor had a ball hit him in the face mask and one off his hands (though to be fair, his catch and run to tie the game at 7-7 was a big play, as it evened the score and righted the ship for a moment). But overall, great job taking care of business. It goes without saying that next week will be a tall order, but we’ll worry about that one later. Great win. 7-3. Not too bad.

BLPOG
11-10-2018, 08:57 PM

I lack the language to properly express my enthusiasm for this video.

Faison1
11-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Awesome win, everybody!! So psyched to beat the cheaters!!

I'm kinda worried about our injuries.....two more go down today. Someone please tell me we have enough players left for the rest of the season.....

75Crazie
11-10-2018, 09:50 PM
9f and thank you, Duke.
Thanks! Now it's your turn, in two weeks, to complete the humiliation.

devildeac
11-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks! Now it's your turn, in two weeks, to complete the humiliation.

Why wait 2 weeks? Go 8800

BandAlum83
11-10-2018, 11:12 PM
The Hat speaks:

https://youtu.be/2ZqDRBxgMxg

Thanks for posting this, OPK. I've never seen any interview if Fedora. I know that DBR wants him to coach forever at UNC. Personally, I really don't pay much attention to what goes on over in Chapel Hill. I figure beat them and move on.

So after seeing Fedora, I can only say that he isn't very impressive, is he. He doesn't seem to be head Coach material. If I cared, I would look him up to see how he came to coach a major FBS team, but I don't (care).

On to Miami to shock the world!

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2018, 11:19 PM
9f and thank you, Duke.

enjoy :)

Credit to Barstool Pack on Twitter
https://twitter.com/BarstoolPack/status/1061367200655794177

LLLLLLLLove it!

Devilwin
11-11-2018, 06:04 AM
Of course I am tickled to beat them. Again. But we were just a couple more of those all too frequent dropped passes from losing this game. I don't want to see us completely humiliated next week, at least put up a fight. With all the injuries on defense it could get ugly quick. But I think we can score on them if Jones is given time..
The receivers have to hold on to the ball..

arnie
11-11-2018, 07:30 AM
Of course I am tickled to beat them. Again. But we were just a couple more of those all too frequent dropped passes from losing this game. I don't want to see us completely humiliated next week, at least put up a fight. With all the injuries on defense it could get ugly quick. But I think we can score on them if Jones is given time..
The receivers have to hold on to the ball..

I’ve been critical of the receivers and the two long ones that were dropped/head butted should’ve been caught. But to be fair, they did hold on to a bunch of 3rd down passes over the middle, some in tight coverage.

Also, we have numerous defensive players “out for the season”. Wonder if that includes the bowl game which will be a month after reg season over? Maybe one or two come back for the bowl??

JStuart
11-11-2018, 08:27 AM
In reviewing all the injuries the team has sustained, I had forgotten that Jones missed a game with a fractured clavicle....and still generated >500 yards yesterday. Amazing.
Go Duke!

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 08:32 AM
I’ve been critical of the receivers and the two long ones that were dropped/head butted should’ve been caught. But to be fair, they did hold on to a bunch of 3rd down passes over the middle, some in tight coverage.

Also, we have numerous defensive players “out for the season”. Wonder if that includes the bowl game which will be a month after reg season over? Maybe one or two come back for the bowl??

Yes, the drops on the easy long ones continues, and those are devastating...but there were a few very clutch, difficult, third down catches made. One particular great catch was on a sideline route, Jones threw it under pressure and the catch was made under pressure. Seems to me it was Loyd or Rahming...not sure.

Also kudos to the kid Blackwell, who almost had that pick six....he was like fourth string early in the season, came in and did a nice job. And extra kudos to Humphreys, who seemed to will our defense to rise up in the second half.

Bob Green
11-11-2018, 08:42 AM
As always, Jim Sumner with an excellent recap on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/10/18081744/duke-defeats-unc-in-a-truly-memorable-game-42-35

Duke had the game’s dominant player, quarterback Daniel Jones who had one of the best single-game performances in ACC history. The redshirt junior from Charlotte passed for 361 yards and ran for 186 more, 547 mind-boggling total yards.

moonpie23
11-11-2018, 08:50 AM
i can't stand how many jump balls in the end zone make me so nervous.......should have never come to that....

PackMan97
11-11-2018, 09:08 AM
LLLLLLLLove it!

There is a LLLLLLLLot to love about it :)

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 09:08 AM
The injury situation is almost obscene this season.....one thing that is disturbing is how many of these season enders happen in practice. There was someone with a torn ACL or MCL that happened in practice THIS WEEK. Another broken foot happened in practice late season...or mid season. Same thing with Sirk three years ago....

DukieInKansas
11-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Caught the last 10 minutes or so of the game. Loved being able to hear the Duke crowd cheers.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2018, 09:25 AM
You mean when we beat Clemson?!!!! LGD GTHc!

Bob Green
11-11-2018, 10:29 AM

My overriding desire is to escape Death Valley injury free. We cannot afford to lose anymore players:

Boston College quarterback in the hospital after hard hit (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25237538/boston-college-qb-anthony-brown-leaves-game-injured-vs-clemson)

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 10:32 AM
My overriding desire is to escape Death Valley injury free. We cannot afford to lose anymore players:

Boston College quarterback in the hospital after hard hit (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25237538/boston-college-qb-anthony-brown-leaves-game-injured-vs-clemson)

GREAT MINDS THINK EXACTLY ALIKE!!!! ^^^^ 40 something to 20 something loss with no injuries is a "progrum" win......

Sir Stealth
11-11-2018, 01:09 PM
It's truly a shame that injuries probably caused this team to fall short of its ceiling, but a bowl game and a win over Carolina is a successful Duke Football season in my book. 3 straight rings of the Victory Bell feels pretty good.

devildeac
11-11-2018, 04:04 PM
From Bob Green in the pre-game thread:

"My predicted score has been close one time so far this season but here goes anyway:

Duke 34, Carolina 27."

Ohhhh, so close, Bob. What was your prediction for the second half? ;)

uh_no
11-11-2018, 05:06 PM
What was your prediction for the second half? ;)

2 bottles of tums.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 05:41 PM
2 bottles of tums.

I hope I took the 'over' on that one....

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2018, 05:42 PM
Caught the last 10 minutes or so of the game. Loved being able to hear the Duke crowd cheers.

Duke had a great crowd, and the baby blues, not so much at all. They tried, and failed miserably, to get their stupid chant going. Hearing Wallace Wade fill with "Let's Go Duke" is so fun!

HereBeforeCoachK
11-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Duke had a great crowd, and the baby blues, not so much at all. They tried, and failed miserably, to get their stupid chant going. Hearing Wallace Wade fill with "Let's Go Duke" is so fun!

Crowd looked great on TV after kickoff....lotta empty at kick off on the east side (typical for a nooner) - but as the game wore on, the crowd shots looked good. Still doesn't come across as loud or hostile over the telly, but the images were nice to see. East side shouldn't be hot now.

Reilly
11-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Three in a row over Carolina. Five of the last seven.

Reilly
11-11-2018, 08:54 PM
When we keep the bell this long, we should do some upgrades -- new rims, something.

budwom
11-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Keith Ewell Award to Chris Taylor for getting hit in the face mask with a perfectly thrown long Jones pass. A shiny Canadian dollar for you if you get the reference. Watching the replay at home, it looked like
Chris dropped about 100 yards of catchable balls (among a lot of the good stuff he did)..

-jk
11-11-2018, 10:30 PM
When we keep the bell this long, we should do some upgrades -- new rims, something.

A few years ago we removed the pale blue from the bell. Surely that was an upgrade!

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2018, 11:01 PM
A few years ago we removed the pale blue from the bell. Surely that was an upgrade!

-jk

Addition by subtraction!

Reilly
11-11-2018, 11:17 PM
From GoDuke.com:

On keeping the victory bell …

“I love that bell. I truly do. I walk by it every day and I never take it for granted. I walk by and look at it. I took it last night and rolled it around a
bit. I hate to admit that. That bell should be important to every player that has ever played Duke football and will play in the future. It must be
extremely important to you.”

Reilly
11-12-2018, 11:45 AM
The CFB Daily Stathead email from sports-reference.com lists DJ among the top performers (and due to the format lists only his passing numbers!):

This Week's Top Performers

Darwin Thompson (USU vs. SJSU): 15 rush, 140 yds, 1 TD

D'Andre Swift (UGA vs. AUB): 17 rush, 186 yds, 1 TD

Trayveon Williams (TAMU vs. MISS): 31 rush, 228 yds, 1 TD

Daniel Jones (DUKE vs. UNC): 31/54, 361 yds, 3 TD

Qadree Ollison (PITT vs. VT): 16 rush, 235 yds, 3 TD

Jett Duffey (TTU vs. TEX): 37/47, 444 yds, 4 TD

Dexter Williams (ND vs. FSU): 20 rush, 202 yds, 2 TD

Tylan Wallace (OKST vs. OKLA): 10 rec, 220 yds, 2 TD

Ryquell Armstead (TEM vs. HOU): 30 rush, 210 yds, 6 TD

Anthony McFarland (UMD vs. IND): 29 rush, 210 yds, 0 TD

ramdevil
11-12-2018, 03:19 PM
After nearly 20 years of football futility, we (Mr. ramdevil and I) were able to see Duke beat UNC in person. Having suffered through the Julius Peppers loss, plus several other losses in the early 00's (in which Duke had the lead - and lost the game), plus going to Chapel Hill in 2015 - we were not going to leave until the Bell rolled onto the field.

Great moments: large parts of the crowd cheering in unison; more Duke blue than gak blue in the stands. Daniel Jones taking over the game. Ben Humphries getting the defense to step up in the second half. Antone Williams making some great plays on returns. Watching Brandon Hill get settled in and making contributions (we met his parents in the Duke Store before a game).

I'm not an expert in any way on the game of football - but it was interesting to see the what seemed to me to be unusual offensive formations. Duke usually lined up without any backs - just Jones in the backfield. One time Duke did line up with backs - there were two backs plus Jones - and Jones then ran for a touchdown. Maybe some creative play calling to account for the ridiculous number of injuries.

And yes it is amazing to remember that Jones had (has?) and broken collar bone.

--ramdevil

devildeac
11-12-2018, 03:24 PM
After nearly 20 years of football futility, we (Mr. ramdevil and I) were able to see Duke beat UNC in person. Having suffered through the Julius Peppers loss, plus several other losses in the early 00's (in which Duke had the lead - and lost the game), plus going to Chapel Hill in 2015 - we were not going to leave until the Bell rolled onto the field.

Great moments: large parts of the crowd cheering in unison; more Duke blue than gak blue in the stands. Daniel Jones taking over the game. Ben Humphries getting the defense to step up in the second half. Antone Williams making some great plays on returns. Watching Brandon Hill get settled in and making contributions (we met his parents in the Duke Store before a game).

I'm not an expert in any way on the game of football - but it was interesting to see the what seemed to me to be unusual offensive formations. Duke usually lined up without any backs - just Jones in the backfield. One time Duke did line up with backs - there were two backs plus Jones - and Jones then ran for a touchdown. Maybe some creative play calling to account for the ridiculous number of injuries.

--ramdevil

Somewhere tucked into reports last week (I don't know whether to credit Bob Green, Jim Sumner and/or Steve Wiseman here), someone reported Duke was practicing a lot with that formation and how much DJ liked that. The return comment was that our OG and OT on the left side better bring their A games or DJ might be crushed. Worked pretty well. ;)

OldPhiKap
11-12-2018, 03:26 PM

--ramdevil

This post made me smile, glad you had a chance to be there! I'm jealous.

peloton
11-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Talk about late to the party. I wanted to be at the game Saturday especially on a sunny and just about perfect football weather day, but couldn't. I of course watched the game on television and obviously enjoyed the outcome to no end.

I have to ask though. Did the TBCC or anyone else serve up any grilled mutton at their tailgate? :rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2018, 01:46 PM
I have to ask though. Did the TBCC or anyone else serve up any grilled mutton at their tailgate? :rolleyes:

Nope, we served up a simple lunch of burgers and dogs. Ozzie did lead DUMB in a great GTHC chant while they were paused in front of our tables, though.