PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Kentucky (Nov 7, 2018)

JBDuke
11-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Kentucky tonight?

gray
11-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Can I vote for the entire freshman class, who outscored Kentucky on their own?

thedukelamere
11-07-2018, 12:19 AM
This is going to be a fun exercise this year.

ScreechTDX1847
11-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Hard to say. Zion for the efficient performance.

summerwind03
11-07-2018, 12:20 AM
I mean, they were all amazing, but there was something about having Tre Stones in charge that was so hugely reassuring.

weezie
11-07-2018, 12:21 AM
Who wasn't?!

I can't narrow it down.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2018, 12:23 AM
I haven't voted yet, but in just about any other game, Jack White would pushing unanimous. In just about any other game, on any other team...

Mrezt
11-07-2018, 12:26 AM
I'm still voting for Jack White, but ...

GGLC
11-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Gotta say Zion.

AGDukesky
11-07-2018, 12:30 AM
So tough but I’ll go:
Zion
RJ
Jack

Native
11-07-2018, 12:49 AM
I'm going with Jack White. Zion, Cam, Tre, and RJ were all incredible (and outscored UK by themselves!) but having a veteran leader like Jack consistently perform the way he did will be a huge asset to the team in so many ways. Obviously the rebounding and scoring is nice, but having a captain who can walk the walk on the court shores up a potential weakness of this team.

JBDuke
11-07-2018, 01:02 AM
Wow. Cam Reddish scores 22 in his Duke debut, 3 assists, 4 steals, no turnovers, hits all his FTs, and can't get a vote? That tells you something about how well the team played tonight.

TNTDevil
11-07-2018, 01:43 AM
I haven't voted yet, but in just about any other game, Jack White would pushing unanimous. In just about any other game, on any other team...Yeah, so I voted that way. He was the grit player that helps free-up our other studs.

TNTDevil
11-07-2018, 01:49 AM
Wow. Cam Reddish scores 22 in his Duke debut, 3 assists, 4 steals, no turnovers, hits all his FTs, and can't get a vote? That tells you something about how well the team played tonight.So true. I voted for White simply because his performance was about "chopping wood and carrying water". Barrett, Reddish and, Williamson are gonna be a regular rotation of who has the most double/triple-doubles.

What a fun team this appears to be.

brevity
11-07-2018, 02:00 AM
I can't vote for this guy?

Namtilal
11-07-2018, 02:23 AM
I mean, they were all amazing, but there was something about having Tre Stones in charge that was so hugely reassuring.

He was so subtle, almost unnoticeable. Not only did he enable the big three to make plays, he really set the tone on defense. It’s been a while since we had a leader on defense at point guard. It’s early, but he certainly seems the perfect pg for this team.

gep
11-07-2018, 03:04 AM
Jack White. Timely, strong rebounds... Zoubekian-like. And his steal and pass to Zion (?) was Grayson-like. And his leadership. He may be the 6th man 😎 and almost a double-double.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2018, 09:15 AM
In a night of freshman highlights, Bolden was very solid -- one of his best outings, if not his best. Given what happened in Canada, I think his effort and performance deserves some recognition. Hence, my vote.

But you really have to work to find someone that did not play up to their potential last night. Still trying to process what I saw.

Newton_14
11-07-2018, 09:27 AM
I can't vote for this guy?

LOL my main man Brev! I was texting in a mini-DBR group chat during the game last night and I saw that guy complaining that RJ walked (he didn't) and it prompted me to send the following text: "And the Kentucky fan base is the biggest bunch of crybabies I have ever seen!" Great minds think alike my brother!

I voted for Zion because in my opinion he created The Play of the game with the block on the Kentucky kid where Zion literally took the ball out of the shooters hand, then pushed it up the court and hit RJ with a pass Magic Johnson would be very proud of for the And-1 layup. Seriously folks, on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is the highest degree of difficulty, threading the needle on that pass had a degree of difficulty of about 21! And the kid made it look easy!

That play/plays alone put Zion over the top for me in the MOTM voting. Usually for games where multiple players had performances worthy of MOTM, I will vote for one player in this poll but vote for a different player on the Player of The Game poll JD puts up on the front page article. Not this time. I voted for Zion in both polls.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-07-2018, 09:31 AM
Well I guess we have to stop the hype about Zion.....Jalen Rose assured his ESPN audience that Zion wouldn't have started for the Fab Five.

Okay, got it....

azzefkram
11-07-2018, 09:32 AM
I went with Zion for the highlights and the efficient play but I could have picked just about anyone. What a great game by everyone.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Well I guess we have to stop the hype about Zion....Jalen Rose assured his ESPN audience that Zion wouldn't have started for the Fab Five.

Okay, got it...

Jalen, holding on to your bitterness is unhealthy. Let it go.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Jalen, holding on to your bitterness is unhealthy. Let it go.

You know what's ironic? Their losing to the Cheats in the Title game as sophomores just increases their bitterness towards Duke.

As for my vote, I went RJ because he set the tone early. But hey, there's a lot of names on that list that I could support for MOTM

OldPhiKap
11-07-2018, 09:37 AM
You know what's ironic? Their losing to the Cheats in the Title game as sophomores just increases their bitterness towards Duke.

. . . and, frankly, adds to my dislike of the Fab Five.

Webber walks, then when it isn't called he signals for a time out they don't have. Still think he was paid to throw the damn game. But either way -- they gave another championship to those bastards down the road.

BandAlum83
11-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Well I guess we have to stop the hype about Zion....Jalen Rose assured his ESPN audience that Zion wouldn't have started for the Fab Five.

Okay, got it...

Wait, what?

So anyway, the Zion play with the block and the pass? Amazing, incredible, and every other adjective. On the official box score, I actually wondered if that could be called a steal. It was that ridiculous, He just took the ball from him. BAM!

Opponents will need to start doing those ball protection drills football running backs need to go through. Can you even begin to imagine the havoc Zion would wreak on a football field?

Newton_14
11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Well I guess we have to stop the hype about Zion...Jalen Rose assured his ESPN audience that Zion wouldn't have started for the Fab Five.

Okay, got it...

Word to Jalen Rose> Our 4 freshmen are better than the top 4 guys of the Fab 5, and Chris Webber is the ONLY Fab 5 member that would start on this Duke team. The only debatable case at all would be Jalen vs Tre, but my money is on Tre.

jv001
11-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Well I guess we have to stop the hype about Zion...Jalen Rose assured his ESPN audience that Zion wouldn't have started for the Fab Five.

Okay, got it...

The Fab Losers never won anything worth talking about. Jalen is another Duke hater and not worth the waste of my time watching or listening to him. He should have been a Cheat player. GoDuke!
Oh, by the way, I voted for Jack White for his all around game. It looks like he is the leader on this squad. GoDuke!

JasonEvans
11-07-2018, 09:58 AM

Okay, got it...

I saw the segment and Jalen explained that Zion would not start in front of Juwon Howard or Chris Webber. In fairness, I suppose one could make that argument, but the idea that Zion would not have started at the "3" over Ray Jackson (4.6ppg as a freshman) is just silly. It also should be noted that the great Juwon Howard averaged 11 ppg and 6 rpg as a freshman... Zion will laugh at those numbers this season.

53n206
11-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Word to Jalen Rose> Our 4 freshmen are better than the top 4 guys of the Fab 5, and Chris Webber is the ONLY Fab 5 member that would start on this Duke team. The only debatable case at all would be Jalen vs Tre, but my money is on Tre.

I agree with you Newton.
(I can't read your message because of a pop-up blocker. Will work on it, but I'm in Oklahoma City and my grandchildren are at Bald Head Island.)

Edouble
11-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Okay, got it...

No Zion would not have started for the Fab Five, because he would not have set foot in Ann Arbor to play with a sorry tweener point guard like Jalen Rose.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2018, 10:07 AM
I haven't voted yet, but in just about any other game, Jack White would pushing unanimous. In just about any other game, on any other team...

JW was awesome, but Barrett got my vote. In my head it was a virtual tie.
I kind of assumed that with all the points, that someone would have had a double-double. JW actually came the closest, only needing one more point to go along with his 11 rebounds. If I had noticed that stat before I voted, I probably would have gone the other way.

elvis14
11-07-2018, 10:09 AM
I voted for Zanos because of his efficiency and because...wow, just holy crap wow, what the? Oh my goodness! Did you see that? How? Wait, what? 275?

Yesterday morning I was talking with a friend about the game and I made 2 points which I feel played out:

1) I said that if we got worried we could always give the ball to RJ and he'd make plays
2) I said that Jack White was going to be a valuable player and that there are going to be games where he has a great positive effect without scoring much (if at all).

What a fun game to watch. This team might be special, even for a Duke squad.

wavedukefan70s
11-07-2018, 10:18 AM
As great as several players were.i took jack white for a few rebounds and hustle plays that stood out.i thought he was the glue several times.
There was so many amazingly shocking plays all over the court it's tough to pick one.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-07-2018, 10:18 AM
I saw the segment and Jalen explained that Zion would not start in front of Juwon Howard or Chris Webber. In fairness, I suppose one could make that argument, but the idea that Zion would not have started at the "3" over Ray Jackson (4.6ppg as a freshman) is just silly. It also should be noted that the great Juwon Howard averaged 11 ppg and 6 rpg as a freshman... Zion will laugh at those numbers this season.

I would also posit the notion that if Zion had been in that class, he would've been just as hyped as Webber was coming in, and has perhaps a better overall game than Webber at the same point (ironic, since so many thought he was merely an amazing dunker against sub par HS competition.....

dukie’s_daughter
11-07-2018, 01:07 PM
I sure enjoyed all of theses candidates more than anybody else I voted for yesterday...😋

My vote went to Jack White for exceeding expectations, glue, and captaincy... but goodness gracious, everybody was wonderful!

Reddevil
11-07-2018, 01:19 PM
So true. I voted for White simply because his performance was about "chopping wood and carrying water". Barrett, Reddish and, Williamson are gonna be a regular rotation of who has the most double/triple-doubles.

What a fun team this appears to be.

Ditto.

The Reddish stat line is astonishing in that it is so good, but blended into an amazing team performance.

Jack gets my vote as the so-called every man (as though any of us could actually play like that:p).

The frosh were playing a game with which I am not familiar.

SavDukeGrad
11-07-2018, 01:54 PM
I went with RJ because of his first half performance, which put the game out of reach. But I could have gone with any of the starters or Jack - they were all sensational!

Lar77
11-07-2018, 02:21 PM
This was the ultimate team victory, so I gave it to Jack as captain. When the camera cut to the team during play stoppage, he was talking to the others - leadership.
Everyone seemed to just have fun out there (everyone with "Duke" on their uniform). Great win for the entire team

MChambers
11-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Wow. Cam Reddish scores 22 in his Duke debut, 3 assists, 4 steals, no turnovers, hits all his FTs, and can't get a vote? That tells you something about how well the team played tonight.

I thought about voting for Cam. He was awfully good, especially on D.

lmb
11-07-2018, 02:35 PM
No wrong answer here, but I voted for Tre. He hits the first shot of the game by draining a three. Awesome way to set the tone and be a steadying influence. It didn't look like anyone had a case of the nerves, but hitting that shot may have helped things a bit. Plus, I believe he had 7 assists and 0 turnovers and he's a good defender. He got the team off to a great start!

LasVegas
11-07-2018, 03:05 PM
I voted for White simply because he excelled in his role. Teams need players to buy into their roles and it’s a hard pill to swallow for some of these top athletes. Jack White is in. Rebound, play D, hit open shots, and work your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. off.

westwall
11-07-2018, 04:23 PM
I would also posit the notion that if Zion had been in that class, he would've been just as hyped as Webber was coming in, and has perhaps a better overall game than Webber at the same point (ironic, since so many thought he was merely an amazing dunker against sub par HS competition...

And I doubt that Zion will ever call a (dumb) timeout that doesn’t exist and thereby lose a championship game

westwall
11-07-2018, 04:26 PM
I voted for White simply because he excelled in his role. Teams need players to buy into their roles and it’s a hard pill to swallow for some of these top athletes. Jack White is in. Rebound, play D, hit open shots, and work your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. off.

Yep. Another vote for Jack — the glue that holds the working parts together

weezie
11-07-2018, 05:08 PM
... I was texting in a mini-DBR group chat during the game last night...

What's this?! A super secret txt society?!

Well, fyi, I was txting with a VERY special tiny group of brilliant observers and we all are extremely good looking and above average and tall. We're really tall and we dance well.

And we have GREAT hair.

devildeac
11-07-2018, 05:12 PM

Well, fyi, I was txting with a VERY special tiny group of brilliant observers and we all are extremely good looking and above average and tall. We're really tall and we dance well.

And we have GREAT hair.

I dance well but that's about it so I can easily understand why I wasn't included in your exclusive group. :(

weezie
11-07-2018, 05:14 PM
I dance well but that's about it so I can easily understand why I wasn't included in your exclusive group. :(

Strictly an oversight. I recall that you do have splendid hair so I will submit your application to the membership committee post haste.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2018, 05:30 PM

And we have GREAT hair.

I literally meet none of these qualifications.

NSDukeFan
11-07-2018, 05:40 PM

But you do have a lot of sporks. I dance enthusiastically, if not effectively.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2018, 06:19 PM

And we have GREAT hair.

I'm confused.
Just as an aside, do you support childhood literacy?

Newton_14
11-07-2018, 06:40 PM

And we have GREAT hair.

Ha ha. Good one Weezie lol. No secrecy intended and anyone is welcome to join. Just pm me your mobile number. I can't remember how it started exactly but it has been a staple the past two seasons. Very much a support group as well as with these one and done teams we end up needing lots of therapy! :cool:

WillJ
11-07-2018, 06:47 PM
I voted for Zion, but RJ, Cam and Jack were pretty awesome. RJ reminds me of Manu Ginobili.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2018, 06:55 PM
But you do have a lot of sporks. I dance enthusiastically, if not effectively.

I do the yard work for Weezie’s neighbor and have been trying to chat her up for some time. Yet it always seems like she is in a hurry to leave.

Also, how does one measure whether one’s dancing is “effective”? Is there a metric?

NSDukeFan
11-07-2018, 07:15 PM
One measure would be to look at how many people are laughing with you rather than at you, which I assume Kenpom has a metric for. Perhaps there is also a measure of whether a person is dancing with any relation to the music that is playing.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2018, 07:23 PM
One measure would be to look at how many people are laughing with you rather than at you, which I assume Kenpom has a metric for. Perhaps there is also a measure of whether a person is dancing with any relation to the music that is playing.

“Dork Dancing Polls.” Bring it.

weezie
11-07-2018, 07:51 PM

We do offer scholarships to the shimmy-shake challenged. I will write you a letter of recommendation.
Minimal processing fee required.

BLPOG
11-07-2018, 07:58 PM

And we have GREAT hair. [emphasis added]

Well, I don't know if my hair is that great, but I did once drink a piña colada at Trader Vic's. As it happens, it was just before a attending Duke bowl game.

OldPhiKap
11-07-2018, 08:00 PM
We do offer scholarships to the shimmy-shake challenged. I will write you a letter of recommendation.
Minimal processing fee required.

I was Left Shark.

devildeac
11-07-2018, 08:17 PM
I do the yard work for Weezie’s neighbor and have been trying to chat her up for some time. Yet it always seems like she is in a hurry to leave.

Also, how does one measure whether one’s dancing is “effective”? Is there a metric?

Mine is usually when Mrs. dd says on the dance floor that I'm off the beat or not on the downbeat. :o

devildeac
11-07-2018, 08:18 PM
I was Left Shark.

I was usually left out.

NSDukeFan
11-07-2018, 08:40 PM
All I can think now is Baby Shark doo doo doo doo de doo doo

-jk
11-07-2018, 09:24 PM
All I can think now is Baby Shark doo doo doo doo de doo doo

Ack! No more Pinkfong!

-jk

devildeac
11-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Finally voted. Broke the tie (for now). The next hated Duke "White" guy got my vote for hustle, 11 boards, 9 points, 30 minutes, good D and exceeding expectations. May he have many more games like last night:D.

curtis325
11-07-2018, 10:27 PM
I can't fault anyone for their choices--they are all good. I'm hoping for about 39 more games where there are a plethora of good choices. It's gonna take a heckuva game to change my default. After all, the thread is "Man of the Match". Look at the court. Zion is the MAN!

YMMV