PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Thanksgiving food

JasonEvans
11-06-2018, 08:02 AM
So, everyone has a job for Thanksgiving. My task is dessert. I know it is a shock to hear that about me, but I am in charge of procuring the Thanksgiving pies.

I was doing a little research and came across this:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54865247e4b05c7e156393fc/5a089b34f9619a1bb00d9d6b/5be0e0364d7a9c166235a42b/1541464119646/cherry+piecaken+whole.jpg?format=750w

That is a piecaken. A cherry pie cooked inside of a chocolate cake. As I am sure you can imagine, my reaction was... well... Kramer sums it up best.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5XqGhjDB48YqA/giphy.gif

I have not yet convinced the rest of the extended family that the Earth will stop rotating if we fail to get a piecaken, but I hope to report back to all of you about it in a few weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this that I can tell folks about?

Also, what is it about Thanksgiving that makes us eat unusual food? If you tried to pull out a Turducken in May, folks would look at you like your head was screwed on backwards. Cranberry sauce/relish is mandatory on this holiday but would seem insane if you served it for a Labor Day feast. I've never seen corn pudding except in late November. And don't even get me started on Pumpkin Pie, which should be a year-round treat, but seems to go into hibernation other than Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas.

-Jason "and don't tell me that every holiday has its own unique food... we sure eat hot dogs and apple pie at times other than July 4th" Evans

OldPhiKap
11-06-2018, 08:15 AM
My holiday favorite rev-up:

https://youtu.be/LUyqH-BE9lk

Always nice to get an outside perspective!

devildeac
11-06-2018, 05:06 PM
So, everyone has a job for Thanksgiving. My task is dessert. I know it is a shock to hear that about me, but I am in charge of procuring the Thanksgiving pies.

I was doing a little research and came across this:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54865247e4b05c7e156393fc/5a089b34f9619a1bb00d9d6b/5be0e0364d7a9c166235a42b/1541464119646/cherry+piecaken+whole.jpg?format=750w

That is a piecaken. A cherry pie cooked inside of a chocolate cake. As I am sure you can imagine, my reaction was... well... Kramer sums it up best.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5XqGhjDB48YqA/giphy.gif

I have not yet convinced the rest of the extended family that the Earth will stop rotating if we fail to get a piecaken, but I hope to report back to all of you about it in a few weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this that I can tell folks about?

Also, what is it about Thanksgiving that makes us eat unusual food? If you tried to pull out a Turducken in May, folks would look at you like your head was screwed on backwards. Cranberry sauce/relish is mandatory on this holiday but would seem insane if you served it for a Labor Day feast. I've never seen corn pudding except in late November. And don't even get me started on Pumpkin Pie, which should be a year-round treat, but seems to go into hibernation other than Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas.

-Jason "and don't tell me that every holiday has its own unique food... we sure eat hot dogs and apple pie at times other than July 4th" Evans

You got nuttin' on this one and it'll set you back $250.00 :eek::

OldPhiKap
11-06-2018, 05:12 PM
You got nuttin' on this one and it'll set you back $250.00 :eek::

Is that the co-pay for your consultation?

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Also, what is it about Thanksgiving that makes us eat unusual food?

Interesting. I've never done anything but a traditional menu for Thanksgiving, nor would I consider it. I'm not sure I've heard many tales from others doing something different either. I do cook the meal in a nontraditional way, usually. Last year I did the entire menu on the grills. The turkey was smoked on one, and everything baked in the other, including the desserts. Will probably go the same route this year. Keeps the kitchen uncluttered, and less hot. The kitchen tends to be a gathering room, which doesn't make for the best cooking scenario. More like "Get the hell outta my way, I am trying to cook stuffing here! Oh, and thanks so much for coming over, have some wine."

The PieCaken looks fun. I'd pick TNTDevil's brain on that, he is the best baker I know, especially with desserts.

devildeac
11-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Is that the co-pay for your consultation?

Yes. Procedures are extra cost. :o

devildeac
11-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Interesting. I've never done anything but a traditional menu for Thanksgiving, nor would I consider it. I'm not sure I've heard many tales from others doing something different either. I do cook the meal in a nontraditional way, usually. Last year I did the entire menu on the grills. The turkey was smoked on one, and everything baked in the other, including the desserts. Will probably go the same route this year. Keeps the kitchen uncluttered, and less hot. The kitchen tends to be a gathering room, which doesn't make for the best cooking scenario. More like "Get the hell outta my way, I am trying to cook stuffing here! Oh, and thanks so much for coming over, have some wine."

The PieCaken looks fun. I'd pick TNTDevil's brain on that, he is the best baker I know, especially with desserts.

Oooh, maybe a trial run for Thanksgiving this Saturday at tailgate.

:rolleyes:

aimo
11-06-2018, 05:32 PM

You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them? I will do the sweet potato, the cranberry apple, and the Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. Possible another pie if I have time. My mom will do the pecan, cherry, and the coconut. Yes, we eat lots of pie (about 16 people will attend this year and take home leftover pie for breakfast the next morning).

As for weird stuff, as you noticed, I did not list pumpkin pie. I prefer sweet potato. We also do potato salad instead of mashed taters. We stick with the traditional dinner, lots of different vegetable dishes, but NO green beans of any form are allowed. Not worthy of Thanksgiving.

devildeac
11-06-2018, 05:49 PM
You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them? I will do the sweet potato, the cranberry apple, and the Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. Possible another pie if I have time. My mom will do the pecan, cherry, and the coconut. Yes, we eat lots of pie (about 16 people will attend this year and take home leftover pie for breakfast the next morning).

As for weird stuff, as you noticed, I did not list pumpkin pie. I prefer sweet potato. We also do potato salad instead of mashed taters. We stick with the traditional dinner, lots of different vegetable dishes, but NO green beans of any form are allowed. Not worthy of Thanksgiving.

(:o)

weezie
11-06-2018, 09:17 PM
You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them?

I am widely known as a great home cook. Just ask my family while I cast a gimlet eye upon their strangely enthusiastic responses. I took some severe heat last year when I decided store bought could suffice since we were all at the beach.

That blunder will not be repeated. But, I'll be interested to hear how the piecacken turns out.

OldPhiKap
11-06-2018, 11:01 PM
I am widely known as a great home cook. Just ask my family while I cast a gimlet eye upon their strangely enthusiastic responses. I took some severe heat last year when I decided store bought could suffice since we were all at the beach.

That blunder will not be repeated. But, I'll be interested to hear how the piecacken turns out.

I LOVE turkey gimlets. Let me know when to come over.

JasonEvans
11-07-2018, 12:25 AM
You PROCURE the pies? Why not bake them?

Sadly, I fly in on Wednesday and there is no oven space to make multiple pies on Thursday. Last year, when I had more time, I did a pumpkin pie and a Brown Apple Betty. I make a mean BAB.

Nick
11-07-2018, 07:39 AM
There has to be a way to get doughnuts involved in that piecaken somehow.

rthomas
11-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. And after more than 20 years since I last went to Angus Barn, you made me salivate.

devildeac
11-07-2018, 11:12 AM
There has to be a way to get doughnuts involved in that piecaken somehow.

Somehow, folks at the NC State Fair may try that next year, but only if it can be deep-fried. :eek:

cato
11-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Angus Barn's chocolate chess pie. And after more than 20 years since I last went to Angus Barn, you made me salivate.

I used to make it, and loved it. Maybe I should bust it back out this year?

aimo
11-07-2018, 01:45 PM

One of the easiest pies to make.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 ounces Baker’s semisweet chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
1 unbaked pie shell
Whipped cream for topping, optional

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and chocolate in the top half of a double boiler. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix until well-combined. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake until set, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool and top with whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings.

You are welcome!

gus
11-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Melt butter and chocolate in the top half of a double boiler.

I would hope that's an unnecessary detail in a recipe ;)

TruBlu
11-08-2018, 02:47 PM
My daughter, preparing her first thanksgiving dinner as a newlywed, took great care with her cooking. Everything was perfect ... except for the turkey. She forgot to turn the oven on.

JNort
11-08-2018, 04:03 PM
It's not that the foods are odd but I always eat several Thanksgiving rolls that people seem to find odd.

I open up a roll a put down a thin layer of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. I then place a slice of turkey and a slice of ham down on the potatoes and top it's off with mac n cheese and another layer of potatoes. Close the roll up and eat.

Indoor66
11-08-2018, 04:13 PM
It's not that the foods are odd but I always eat several Thanksgiving rolls that people seem to find odd.

I open up a roll a put down a thin layer of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. I then place a slice of turkey and a slice of ham down on the potatoes and top it's off with mac n cheese and another layer of potatoes. Close the roll up and eat.

After that, I think you are odd. 😂

-jk
11-08-2018, 04:27 PM

Deep fry it and you'll have a perfect State Fair booth!

-jk

JNort
11-08-2018, 04:53 PM
After that, I think you are odd. 😂

Hey don't knock it till ya try it! My brother saw me making it one time and said that it was weird, so I gave him one and he loved it. Now he makes a couple Thanksgiving rolls to eat each year

I forgot to mention that stuffing is optional depending on how good it was made.

devildeac
11-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Wait, is that Thanksgiving food or NC State Fair food? :p:rolleyes:

Damn, come to think of it, that needs to be dipped in batter and deep-fried and then served with a dipping sauce. :o

DukieInKansas
11-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Wait, is that Thanksgiving food or NC State Fair food? :p:rolleyes:

Damn, come to think of it, that needs to be dipped in batter and deep-fried and then served with a dipping sauce. :o

Only if the dipping sauce is gravy.

devildeac
11-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Only if the dipping sauce is sausage gravy.

Added embellishment and more calories. Hope you don't mind. ;)

JasonEvans
11-08-2018, 07:56 PM
My daughter, preparing her first thanksgiving dinner as a newlywed, took great care with her cooking. Everything was perfect ... except for the turkey. She forgot to turn the oven on.

Doesn't seem like that big a deal. If you just delay your Thanksgiving meal by around 8 or 10 hours you should be fine. "Ok, it is 4am, everyone come on in for dinner!"

JNort
11-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Has anyone ever tried the mayonnaise turkey recipe? I've only ever heard amazing things about it and my sister in law tried it last year and loved it. Unfortunately I was with other family so I didn't get to try it.

Simple version is basically take whatever poultry seasoning or whatever you like and mix it up with plenty of mayonnaise and rub it all over the turkey before cooking.

rasputin
11-09-2018, 10:23 AM

On Thanksgiving 1973, we had been living in a newly constructed house for just a few months, and when my Mom turned the oven on to start dinner, nothing happened. Dad figured out that the problem was probably with the filament thingy that does the heating of the oven. And there's no possibility of buying one that day. So he somehow got into the house still under construction next door, pulled out the filament from its oven, installed it in our oven, and everything went on as planned.

JasonEvans
11-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Simple version is basically take whatever poultry seasoning or whatever you like and mix it up with plenty of mayonnaise and rub it all over the turkey before cooking.

So, you are saying that by smothering my otherwise fairly bland food with a highly caloric and fatty substance I can make it taste better? I find this shocking as it runs counter to everything else I know about food.

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s---Ehdxuz3--/t_Preview/b_rgb:0195c3,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1462717485/production/designs/506023_1.jpg

OldPhiKap
11-09-2018, 11:02 AM
So, you are saying that by smothering my otherwise fairly bland food with a highly caloric and fatty substance I can make it taste better? I find this shocking as it runs counter to everything else I know about food.

I bet it would really rock if you laid strips of bacon on top after your mayonnaise bath coat.

devildeac
11-09-2018, 11:16 AM
I bet it would really rock if you laid strips of bacon on top after your mayonnaise bath coat.

I *heartily* endorse this idea. :o

camion
11-09-2018, 02:46 PM

You could double down on the bacon by using bacon fat in home made mayonnaise. ;) :eek:

Linky (https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/bacon-mayonnaise-30155)

weezie
11-09-2018, 03:33 PM
...I open up a roll a put down a thin layer of mashed potatoes with a bit of gravy. I then place a slice of turkey and a slice of ham down on the potatoes and top it's off with mac n cheese and another layer of potatoes. Close the roll up and eat.

That sounds more like TGiving dessert.

JNort
11-09-2018, 04:19 PM
That sounds more like TGiving dessert.

I want just 1 person in here to try it and post back after Thanksgiving. Don't forget the optional stuffing, I only use it if the stuffing is well made.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Sounds delicious. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is similar, it's a left-over sandwich on well-buttered white toast"

Turkey
Ham
stuffing
gravy
cranberry sauce
sometimes a nice cheese although usually not

JNort
11-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Sounds delicious. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is similar, it's a left-over sandwich on well-buttered white toast"

Turkey
Ham
stuffing
gravy
cranberry sauce
sometimes a nice cheese although usually not

There we go! Granted I despise cranberry sauce but take it out for mashed potatoes and there we go!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-12-2018, 10:11 PM
In our house Friday brunch is always Kentucky Hot Browns.

Neals384
11-13-2018, 01:25 PM

If you think pumpkin pie could be a year-round treat, you're probably making it with canned pumpkin.. Nooooo. Go to your local farm store and get one of the small pie pumpkins and find out how good real pumpkin pie is!

Before baking the turkey, loosen the skin on both breasts and slide that bacon under the skin.

BigWayne
11-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Or you could just deep fry the whole thing like I've been doing for 20 years now. I've got a tutorial on it I did for another BB forum if anyone wants me to post it here.

Devilwin
11-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Sweet potato pie IS better than pumpkin....

DukieInKansas
11-13-2018, 08:37 PM
If you think pumpkin pie could be a year-round treat, you're probably making it with canned pumpkin.. Nooooo. Go to your local farm store and get one of the small pie pumpkins and find out how good real pumpkin pie is!

Before baking the turkey, loosen the skin on both breasts and slide that bacon under the skin.

Just prepare extra pumpkin and freeze it for use later in the year.

rsvman
11-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Sweet potato pie IS better than pumpkin...

Agree.

TruBlu
11-15-2018, 02:09 PM
I think this qualifies:

I was invited to Thanksgiving dinner by the family of a young lady I was dating (obviously a long time ago). I was eagerly anticipating a good home cooked feast. Wrong!!! We loaded into various cars, and headed to the Durham Holiday Inn* (now a Days Inn). It was not a five star restaurant. I never determined if this was an emergency backup due to a cooking crisis, or if this was their norm. They also invited me the following year, but I told them that I had committed to traveling to my parents for Thanksgiving.

* I’ve heard that Playboy Magazine once selected this Holiday Inn in the nations top 10 motels to get crabs. I don’t think they were talking seafood.

gus
11-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Sweet potato pie IS better than pumpkin...

Wish I could find this in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3GmV8GeXj4

TruBlu
11-23-2018, 06:37 AM
For the latest installment of Daughter #1’s Thanksgiving cooking expertise:

She remembered to turn the oven on this time. Unfortunately, she defrosted the turkey for one whole week. It was rancid and inedible. For dessert, however, she had a homemade pumpkin pie. Unfortunately, she prepared it a week in advance but failed to refrigerate it. Is pumpkin pie supposed to be green?

Luckily, Mrs. TruBlu and I are spending Thanksgiving with Daughter #2’s family a few states away, and she has better cooking skills.

For Christmas, we are going to be at Daughter #1’s family. We are already scouting that area for open Chinese restaurants.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2018, 07:39 AM

She remembered to turn the oven on this time. Unfortunately, she defrosted the turkey for one whole week. It was rancid and inedible. For dessert, however, she had a homemade pumpkin pie. Unfortunately, she prepared it a week in advance but failed to refrigerate it. Is pumpkin pie supposed to be green?

Luckily, Mrs. TruBlu and I are spending Thanksgiving with Daughter #2’s family a few states away, and she has better cooking skills.

For Christmas, we are going to be at Daughter #1’s family. We are already scouting that area for open Chinese restaurants.

Peking Duck is always a popular choice.

I have a sister-in-law who Does Not Cook. She decided to cook a turkey one Thanksgiving. Not wanting to deal with the difficulties of a whole turkey though, she bought a turkey roll that the deli used to slice turkey for sandwiches (“It’s cleaned, prepared, and already cooked, right?”) and warmed that up.

And being somewhat frugal, she didn’t spring for the, um, less-pressed roll.

Of the things I am thankful for this year, topping the list is that both Mrs.PK and I are both handy in the kitchen.

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2018, 08:31 AM
My daughters both did well cooking for thier first thanksgiving they cooked for.one did home made mac and cheese .the other green been casserole. We have a multicultural Thanksgiving.well every holiday for that matter. Lumpia and Pancit. Then some Mexican food I cant remember the name of.its good though .plus traditional turkey and stuffing.
I believe my 15 year old has been eating every two hours.

Nick
11-23-2018, 08:47 AM
I tried this and it was both easy and delicious. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

One of the easiest pies to make.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 ounces Baker’s semisweet chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt
1 unbaked pie shell
Whipped cream for topping, optional

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and chocolate in the top half of a double boiler. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Add melted chocolate mixture and mix until well-combined. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake until set, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool and top with whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings.

You are welcome!

devildeac
11-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Turkey and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread with barbecue potato (chips) and cranberry relish in a gas station parking lot in Wytheville, VA. Details to follow.

TruBlu
11-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Turkey and cheese sandwich on whole grain bread with barbecue potato (chips) and cranberry relish in a gas station parking lot in Wytheville, VA. Details to follow.

Gas stations have great sushi. They also sell Pepto Bismal.

budwom
11-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Ouch. Maybe I now understand why young women in high school used to be funneled into Home Ec courses! Do schools still do that in the olde sexist fashion (boys got shop class instead, maybe I'm just dating myself. Actually I think all kids should be given some fundamental cooking courses since it's an essential life skill, one with major health ramifications, especially if you eat the rancid bird or green pie).

aimo
11-23-2018, 05:30 PM

Yikes! I grew up watching my mother cook in the kitchen, as did my brothers. I was pretty much in charge of the potato salad since I was fifteen. Now that I am grown and Mom is older, I do the turkey (using a roasting bag - the EASIEST way to a delicious turkey) and several of the other things. Plenty pooped today from all the work, but it was worth it, as always.

devildeac
11-23-2018, 11:07 PM
Gas stations have great sushi. They also sell Pepto Bismal.

My wife cooked about a 4 pound butterball turkey breast Wednesday evening and made her own cranberry sauce so the "main courses" were home-made. The whole grain bread and cheese for the sammiches were store bought as were the potato (chips). A sales rep brought us mini-bundt cupcakes on Wednesday so they were our dessert. We'll have some more turkey tomorrow (none today-we were traveling) and I might gently twist her arm to make some of her own dressing tomorrow or Sunday. :o

OldPhiKap
11-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Crepes filled with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and a schmear of sweet potato casserole. Now I’m ready for the game!

budwom
11-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Crepes filled with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and a schmear of sweet potato casserole. Now I’m ready for the game!

No you're not...you really aren't ready for THIS game. Glad I had a fairly empty tummy...

OldPhiKap
11-24-2018, 04:30 PM
No you're not...you really aren't ready for THIS game. Glad I had a fairly empty tummy...

It was as tasty coming up as it was going down.

Brutal.