PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos.... good or bad?

knights68
10-30-2007, 10:19 AM
What, if anything, do they tell you about the person?
Think it's body art or a waste of money and ink?

colchar
10-30-2007, 11:57 AM

A waste of money and ink. Those half-sleeves are gonna look real cool when you're 70. And those tramp stamps will be oh-so-sexy when you're 50 honey.

In case you can't tell, I can't stand the things.

snowdenscold
10-30-2007, 12:06 PM

I don't like them. Then again, I can't stand even writing notes on my hand with a pen.

And the logic I often use (not my own) is that - would you be happy right now with something you put on your body ten of fifteen years ago? (I wouldn't) So what makes 10-15 years in the future any different?

billybreen
10-30-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm with Conan, from his commencement address to Stuyvesant High (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi4-1d9DB9Q) in 2006:

Some of you guys will be tempted to grow a goatee. Do not grow a goatee. A goatee is just a beard with low self esteem. On the same note, some of you girls will be tempted to get a lower back tattoo. I just want to say — that’s totally awesome.

tombrady
10-30-2007, 12:11 PM

lots. 90% of the time, not good.

wilson
10-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I have one. It is small, in an inconspicuous place, very easily concealable. I love my tattoo. It is a richly layered symbol for me and will always evoke a process and time in my life that already have deep meaning and will only continue to grow in significance over my lifetime.
I understand that tattoos aren't for everyone (sleeves, for instance, aren't my cup of tea). But a) not all tattoos are created equal, and b) some people have tattoos that truly are representative of significant events, themes, etc. in their own lives.
It is a very personal decision, and I agree that lots of folks get ill-advised tattoos (glad mine doesn't involve any Chinese characters). But don't pretend to understand other people's logic behind getting one when you yourself have already admitted that you "don't get" the whole thing.

tombrady
10-30-2007, 12:30 PM
I have one. It is small, in an inconspicuous place, very easily concealable. I love my tattoo. It is a richly layered symbol for me and will always evoke a process and time in my life that already have deep meaning and will only continue to grow in significance over my lifetime.
I understand that tattoos aren't for everyone (sleeves, for instance, aren't my cup of tea). But a) not all tattoos are created equal, and b) some people have tattoos that truly are representative of significant events, themes, etc. in their own lives.
It is a very personal decision, and I agree that lots of folks get ill-advised tattoos (glad mine doesn't involve any Chinese characters). But don't pretend to understand other people's logic behind getting one when you yourself have already admitted that you "don't get" the whole thing.

you are in the 10%. Completely agree with your stance.

DevilAlumna
10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I used to really want a tattoo, but a) couldn't think what in the heck I would want to capture/invoke in permanent form on my body, that couldn't otherwise be commemorated in a less painful way, and b) kept hearing in my head, "grandma, what's that?"

Wilson's right, they're okay for the right reasons, but to get one just to have one, not smart.

As for what they say about someone -- depends on the size/scope/% body covered.

wilson
10-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I used to really want a tattoo, but a) couldn't think what in the heck I would want to capture/invoke in permanent form on my body, that couldn't otherwise be commemorated in a less painful way.

Interesting that you should bring that up. I thought about my decision for a long time, and at first, the notion of pain was sort of a necessary evil. After a while, though, I realized that, for me (and I understand, for a lot of other people), the pain was a very real part of the process. Part of the significance of my tattoo is a mix of sentiments, accomplishments, and attitudes forged in painful situations, and the pain of commemorating those processes via a tattoo was very apt.

MrBisonDevil
10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I have 3 tattoos that took over 12 hrs of fine-line work to complete. All of my tattoos have a strong spiritual, cultural & personal significance. All are concealable with a simple t-shirt. I do not view my tattoos as an accessory or jewelry.

15yrs after my 1st tattoo, I still feel empowered by it. I hope other folk have the same feeling about their tattoos.

"what I believe within, I engrave within my skin" Cee-lo Green

Bluedawg
10-30-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm with Conan, from his commencement address to Stuyvesant High (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi4-1d9DB9Q) in 2006:

Don't agree with either statement. There is nothing wrong with a goatee [no, I don't have one] and a "lower back tattoo" or any kind of tattoo is more of a distraction than sexy.

Bluedawg
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM

How about body piercing?

colchar
10-30-2007, 08:41 PM
How about body piercing?

Define body piercing. By that do you mean earrings on guys? Or are you referring only to eyebrow/nose.lip/tongue/etc. piercings?

I'm a guy but have two earrings in my left ear. Beyond ear piercing for guys, however, I view body piercing in the same light as I view tattoos.

wilson
10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
I view body piercing in the same light as I view tattoos.

I disagree. The way I see it, a body piercing is a relatively straightforward thing with little means of differentiation from all the others. I suppose that theoretically you could be pierced anywhere, but I don't view it to be nearly the personal statement that a tattoo is. There are literally infinite tattoos to be had, both in terms of their pictoral content and their placement. Bits of metal, to me, have a difficult time conveying much of any sentiment/belief/whatever.

snowdenscold
10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
How about body piercing?

I don't really like any body piercing except for one earing (each) on a girl's lower ears. No upper ear, no tounge, no belly-button, no nose (ring or even tiny stud), etc.

I'm ultra-conservative about tattoos and piercings and I recognize that.

throatybeard
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't judge anyone by their tatoos. They're extremely common nowadays.

As for piercing, I don't care what men do because I'm not interested in men. As for piercings on women, I think anywhere on the ear is sexy and bellybutton is sexy. Nose/lip/eyebrow not sexy.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2007, 11:26 PM

He, or she, is an idiot. What a stupid f'ing thing to do to your body.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2007, 11:32 PM
How about body piercing?

Women can have one piercing in each ear lobe. Beyond that is stupid and ugly. Men have no business wearing earrings.

Putting body piercings elsewhere on one's body is like getting a tatoo - a very stupid thing to do. Why in the world would you want your lip or tongue pierced? I certainly wouldn't want to kiss a girl who had done so - I'd be afraid of getting cut.

Lavabe
11-02-2007, 06:34 AM
He, or she, is an idiot. What a stupid f'ing thing to do to your body.

I don't see anything wrong with a 9F "lower back tatoo.";)

WHAT was the deal with all the pineapple lower back tatoos several years ago? :o Welcome to my mid-life crisis question of the day!

Cheers,
Lavabe

captmojo
11-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I care not what others do to adorn their bodies. Tats, piercings or hair lengths of others is not on me so it's none of my business what they view as appropriate for theirs. I've got enough physical identifying qualities through natural processes to actively seek out more by artificial methods.

Bob Green
11-02-2007, 08:02 AM
I have two tatoos that I obtained between 25-28 years ago. But I have an excuse, I was drunk on my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. in Hong Kong. I think the ol' saying goes, "A Sailor and his money soon part ways."

I wouldn't get another one. Besides there is a significant health risk associated with tatoos. If one is going to get infected with a serious disease, you may as well catch it from a girl.

YmoBeThere
11-03-2007, 09:44 AM
I've got enough physical identifying qualities through natural processes to actively seek out more by artificial methods.

Yes, my tattoos(scars) are clear testaments to my momentary lapses in judgment. Don't need ink and a needle to commemorate them.

YmoBeThere
11-03-2007, 09:46 AM
If one is going to get infected with a serious disease, you may as well catch it from a girl.

A girl with a tattoo? People are entitled to do whatever they please, my personal preferences run to the natural state.

wilson
11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Besides there is a significant health risk associated with tatoos. If one is going to get infected with a serious disease, you may as well catch it from a girl.

FWIW, my tattoo came from a place in the Village that is certified by the NYC Dept. of Health. That status is conferred only in accordance with a set of guidelines designed to stave off particular infections. To the best of my knowledge, it is a legitimate, useful process.

Bob Green
11-05-2007, 07:36 AM
FWIW, my tattoo came from a place in the Village that is certified by the NYC Dept. of Health. That status is conferred only in accordance with a set of guidelines designed to stave off particular infections. To the best of my knowledge, it is a legitimate, useful process.

First off, my post was tongue-in-cheek. I was attempting to be funny. Humor, like sarcasm, often falls flat on a message board. Tatoo Parlors have went to great lengths to comply with health regulations (even in Hong Kong).

wilson
11-05-2007, 09:19 AM
First off, my post was tongue-in-cheek. I was attempting to be funny. Humor, like sarcasm, often falls flat on a message board. Tatoo Parlors have went to great lengths to comply with health regulations (even in Hong Kong).

Gotcha. At any rate, it never hurts to rehearse my response to my mother/grandmother/aunt/prospective employer.

bjornolf
11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
with what people want to do to express themselves. Am I a fan of tons of piercings and tattoos? They're okay if done well. Would I date somebody with them? I have, but not anymore. Not really my preference. I dated a girl in high school who had a gorgeous chinese dragon that twisted around her back several times, done in black and gold and red and green. It started at her neck and ended up at her butt. It took her over a year to get it. Her mother gave her permission, as it was some sort of special tribute to her family and her chinese heritage. I thought it was pretty darn cool then. Probably wouldn't be a big fan now, except in the appreciation of nice art department.

That being said, my wife has a very cute little rose tattoo high on the front of her hip in a place that no one will see unless she wants them to. It's also a spot where your body doesn't change too much over time, so it PROBABLY won't get stretched/shrunk/faded into something hideous. She got it in a moment of elation over getting out of her abusive first marriage. It means a lot to her, and to me too.

I have a tattoo as well. When we were dating but pretty sure it was going the distance, I got a honey bee in the mirrored spot to her tattoo as a gift to her. It was a subtle tribute to her without putting the relationship cursing name on my body. We joke the matching tattoos have contributed to our, um, fertility, so to speak (two kids, one on the way, never took more than a month to get pregnant when we decided to). You know, bees fertilizing flowers and all that. Anyway, we like them.

A close friend of mine has a pink ribbon, name and date tattooed on her butt. She's not a tattoo person at all, but she's 24 and couldn't think of a better way to commemorate her mother, who died of breast cancer a couple years ago. The pain of the tattoo was somewhat cathartic to her in her time of emotional pain. I certainly don't begrudge her that.

So, anyway, I'm not a big tattoo/piercing person, but I certainly don't judge people for getting them. To each their own.

-Joe

AtlBluRew
11-05-2007, 12:49 PM
My tattoo is a bad-^$%^$%^$% Blue Devil, and I love it!