PDA

View Full Version : FB: Clemson 35, Duke 6

kfan
11-05-2018, 02:41 PM
ESPN exercised 6-day hold re kickoff time. I guess that means we won't know kickoff time for another week. Please post any recommendations for visiting Clemson here, e.g., dining, parking, game-day traffic, etc. Thanks!

OldPhiKap
11-05-2018, 02:47 PM
ESPN exercised 6-day hold re kickoff time. I guess that means we won't know kickoff time for another week. Please post any recommendations for visiting Clemson here, e.g., dining, parking, game-day traffic, etc. Thanks!

Clemson is a great place to see a game, especially if the leaves have not all fallen yet. Be in your seats for the run down the hill (not as cool as say FSU and the burning spear, but still a big deal).

I think most of the grub is down in Tiger Town, a short-ish walk from the stadium. Bar-type food. The campus is very hilly so be prepared for that.

I've always just found parking but I have gone early to walk around. Traffic movement was efficient but lots of it.

Enjoy!

duke2x
11-05-2018, 03:11 PM
I haven't been to Clemson recently, but I think logistics have changed a lot since our last visit in 2008. You used to just turn left at the artillery to park without a problem. If it's a night game, you probably have to drive most of the way to Charlotte or Atlanta for a hotel.

Duke's seats are not in the upper deck thankfully.

I'm not sure why this game is a 6-day hold. The ACC competition is BC-FSU and Miami-VT, neither of which scream must-see TV. Clemson is the night game on ABC this week and won't get it two weeks in a row.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-05-2018, 04:13 PM
I haven't been to Clemson recently, but I think logistics have changed a lot since our last visit in 2008..

The last and only time I've seen a football game at Clemson was against SC in 1980...and as fate would have it, the combination of my unfamiliarity with the stadium lay out, the very packed crowd, and perhaps a few too many adult beverages...I got kinda lost, and ended up literally being the first fan to ever see Clemson wear the all orange uniforms. Or more precisely, among the first 20 or so. After warming up in white pants, they went back and through on the orange pants right before kickoff.

Regarding the adult beverages, I didn't know what it was about the Clemson uniforms that looked different, but I knew something did. It was the next day before I put two and two together. But I was there, slammed into a chain link fence, when the buses carrying the players from the clubhouse pulled up to area where they walk into the tunnel to run down the hill.

awhom111
11-06-2018, 12:31 AM
I haven't been to Clemson recently, but I think logistics have changed a lot since our last visit in 2008. You used to just turn left at the artillery to park without a problem. If it's a night game, you probably have to drive most of the way to Charlotte or Atlanta for a hotel.

Duke's seats are not in the upper deck thankfully.

I'm not sure why this game is a 6-day hold. The ACC competition is BC-FSU and Miami-VT, neither of which scream must-see TV. Clemson is the night game on ABC this week and won't get it two weeks in a row.

There are other conferences to consider.

These are the games that could be the ABC night game:
Duke at Clemson
Boston College at Florida St.
Miami (FL) at Virginia Tech
Cincinnati at UCF
USF at Temple
Kansas at Oklahoma
Texas Tech at Kansas St.
West Virginia at Oklahoma St.
TCU at Baylor

Where do you think ours ranks among them?

AustinDevil
11-06-2018, 10:18 AM
There are other conferences to consider.

These are the games that could be the ABC night game:
Duke at Clemson
Boston College at Florida St.
Miami (FL) at Virginia Tech
Cincinnati at UCF
USF at Temple
Kansas at Oklahoma
Texas Tech at Kansas St.
West Virginia at Oklahoma St.
TCU at Baylor

Where do you think ours ranks among them?

Duke at Clemson should rank higher than any of them except Cincinnati at UCF. It's a crime if that game doesn't get the best slot. BC at FSU holds some interest, but as with TCU/Baylor, that one is interesting mainly just to see if traditional or recent-traditional powers can get to bowl eligibility.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2018, 12:01 PM
For as much as I complain about Duke getting early kicks, Clemson has had more this season. So far out of nine games, they have been scheduled for five 12/12:20 kick offs. Duke only has had four, with three night games. The Tigers have only played at night once.

budwom
11-06-2018, 12:46 PM
This is a game I sort of hope is a nooner...I'm sure our lads will give it a good effort, but I don't think it's going to be prime time worthy at all.
In a sense, I see this as a different version of Survive and Advance.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Duke at Clemson should rank higher than any of them except Cincinnati at UCF. It's a crime if that game doesn't get the best slot. BC at FSU holds some interest, but as with TCU/Baylor, that one is interesting mainly just to see if traditional or recent-traditional powers can get to bowl eligibility.

With due respect, I think Duke will be well served by an early kick time and fewer eyeballs watching. I don't think this is gonna work out too well for the Devils...because @ Clemson doesn't work out well for anyone lately....except Clemson.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2018, 03:43 PM
With due respect, I think Duke will be well served by an early kick time and fewer eyeballs watching. I don't think this is gonna work out too well for the Devils...because @ Clemson doesn't work out well for anyone lately...except Clemson.

I was thinking about this, and our game vs Alabama next year. Know when you want to play either team? The first damn day. Not the back half of the season when a really good team has had time and practice to turn into a great team. Right now, Clemson is a great team. I'm just hoping we survive the 17th injury free.

devildeac
11-06-2018, 03:49 PM
I was thinking about this, and our game vs Alabama next year. Know when you want to play either team? The first damn day. Not the back half of the season when a really good team has had time and practice to turn into a great team. Right now, Clemson is a great team. I'm just hoping we survive the 17th injury free.

I hope we survive the cheats game injury-free, too. :eek:

awhom111
11-11-2018, 12:45 AM
Clemson Football's Twitter account has announced that the game will be the 7pm ET game.

Bob Green
11-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Duke opens as a 27.5 points underdog:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Time to shock the college football world. :D

fuse
11-11-2018, 06:27 PM
I really only have two hopes for this game- that all the players stay healthy, and secondarily we have a better showing than Louisville.

A fully healthy Duke team from earlier this season might have made this game amazing, and competitive, with a shot an an upset.

Reilly
11-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Duke opens as a 27.5 points underdog:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Time to shock the college football world. :D

Teams in similar situations won 3.66% to 3.82% of the time: http://plus.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JULY15/DBJuly17.html

Reilly
11-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Series history: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/play-index/rivals.cgi?request=1&school_id=duke&opp_id=clemson

We left Clemson with a win or a tie in the following years:

1976 (tie)

Dukehky
11-11-2018, 07:33 PM
I imagine there will be tickets to be had. Tickets starting at $60 on seat geek.

I've been to several Clemson games as the in-laws are big Clemson folks and they are really fun games to go to. Atmosphere is great, and the fans are actually very nice to visiting fans, especially if they don't see you as a threat (that's us guys!).

Hope to see a decent spattering of blue on Saturday.

SavDukeGrad
11-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Series history: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/play-index/rivals.cgi?request=1&school_id=duke&opp_id=clemson

We left Clemson with a win or a tie in the following years:

1976 (tie)

I was at that game in 1980. I was sitting with a big group of Clemson fans, including a former player. I remember he was apoplectic that the Clemson punt returner continuously let the ball bounce, resulting in many additional yards for Duke on the roll. Every time. I did not remember, until I just looked it up, that Duke only won 2 games that year - at Clemson and at Ga Tech!

I was also at the games in Clemson in 1978 and 1982. In 1982, they were ranked and we were big underdogs. But we had Ben Bennett at QB and Steve Spurrier as OC. I told my Clemson friends that we may lose, but we would score some points! And we did score, just not enough, losing 49-14.

Reilly
11-11-2018, 10:36 PM
... I remember he was apoplectic that the ... punt returner continuously let the ball bounce, resulting in many additional yards ...

The game hasn't changed much since 1980, sadly ...

Bob Green
11-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Steve Wiseman discusses the injury situation as Duke prepares to play Clemson:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article221503100.html

“It’s going to be a great opportunity,” Cutcliffe said on Sunday. “Certainly a big challenge. They basically have steamrolled a lot of good football teams. We’ll dive into this to prepare. We’ll dive into this schematically. We’ve got to prepare exceptionally well. I think our team will embrace that.”

johnb
11-12-2018, 10:38 AM
At least now we'll get an answer to the question of whether Duke can compete against a pro team.*

*pro meaning good, not pro meaning paid--I focus aspersions on CH.

elvis14
11-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Should I just apologize now or wait until Saturday night?

elvis14, MSCS Clemson '92

devildeac
11-12-2018, 11:02 AM

No apology needed. We're gonna get smoked like a 25 pound turkey or 15 pound brisket on the OTB. :(

CameronBlue
11-12-2018, 11:49 AM

Just call in the morning.

Indoor66
11-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Just call in the morning.

How 'bout two asperins and a shot?

elvis14
11-12-2018, 01:01 PM
How 'bout two asperins and a shot?

Two beers and a shot sounds better!

OldPhiKap
11-12-2018, 01:02 PM
No apology needed. We're gonna get smoked like a 25 pound turkey or 15 pound brisket on the OTB. :(

What if Clemson is a non-smoking campus?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-12-2018, 01:11 PM
how 'bout two asperins and a shot?

vodka

devildeac
11-12-2018, 01:16 PM
What if Clemson is a non-smoking campus?

I could also imagine them vaporizing us. :eek:

AGDukesky
11-12-2018, 01:33 PM
I feel pretty confident Duke’s defense will shutdown Clemson

...at least on a couple of plays

killerleft
11-13-2018, 08:35 AM
I'm not giving up on this game before it's even started. Too bad, though, we couldn't have played them the third week of the season.

A win would set us up nicely for Alabama next year!

:o

Anyway, Go Duke! I'd love to be there. What an atmosphere!

Dukelogger
11-13-2018, 09:30 AM
I'm not giving up on this game before it's even started. Too bad, though, we couldn't have played them the third week of the season.

A win would set us up nicely for Alabama next year!

:o

Anyway, Go Duke! I'd love to be there. What an atmosphere!

We were always outmatched, with or without injuries, but because of the injuries that have taken place this is just about the worst possible matchup for us. Our Oline was going to get beat by their Dline which has been occasionally described as one of the best Dline's in the history of college football. DJ wont have much time and our receivers are fast but not big, so the quick slants or out patterns that a receiver can use their body to establish position won't be there.

Clemson has one of the most explosive RB's in the country, and they throw the ball downfield very well (Pitt and VT, respectively, gave them a blue print for how to get huge chunks on the ground and in the air against us.) I think if our secondary was at full strength all season and going into this game, the big plays in the passing game could be limited. Their RB1 Etienne is very shifty and if the line opens up a hole for him to get through the first level then he's probably as good as anyone in the country at making guys miss and breaking off huge runs. Having both all-ACC LB's fully healthy could at least contain the big chunk plays in the run game, but alas I think Humphreys and JGH (if available) are so limited that this is now a bad matchup and Etienne is probably licking his chops. DJ (and every Cut offense) has always been proficient at working the middle of the field with TE's, and that could be effective if they hang on to the ball (Helm took some shots Saturday but still he had a couple hit his hands that he should've held on to) but Clemson has KVon Wallace, Isaiah Simmons and Tanner Muse, all big and very physical safeties, so our TE's are gonna take some shots, just have to man up and catch the ball and hang on to it.

To bring it full circle I think at full strength the secondary and LB's could've contained Clemson's offense and we could've impressed a lot of folks on a national stage, but where we sit today with the injuries that will have some guys out and some limited, we do not matchup well at all with Clemson. We could - today - give ND a game, OSU and Michigan, LSU, and a whole bunch of other teams that have been ranked in or around the top 10. We have a stud QB, an elite coaching staff, a ton of speed at the skill positions, and a very gritty confident roster that seems to always rise up to the challenge and continually impress us as fans and the country really. I just see this matchup on this Saturday as unfortunately one of the worst matchups for our team. Hope they prove me wrong!

moonpie23
11-13-2018, 11:14 AM
I'm calling the upset.........yeah, i said it...

killerleft
11-13-2018, 12:48 PM
We were always outmatched, with or without injuries, but because of the injuries that have taken place this is just about the worst possible matchup for us. Our Oline was going to get beat by their Dline which has been occasionally described as one of the best Dline's in the history of college football. DJ wont have much time and our receivers are fast but not big, so the quick slants or out patterns that a receiver can use their body to establish position won't be there.

Clemson has one of the most explosive RB's in the country, and they throw the ball downfield very well (Pitt and VT, respectively, gave them a blue print for how to get huge chunks on the ground and in the air against us.) I think if our secondary was at full strength all season and going into this game, the big plays in the passing game could be limited. Their RB1 Etienne is very shifty and if the line opens up a hole for him to get through the first level then he's probably as good as anyone in the country at making guys miss and breaking off huge runs. Having both all-ACC LB's fully healthy could at least contain the big chunk plays in the run game, but alas I think Humphreys and JGH (if available) are so limited that this is now a bad matchup and Etienne is probably licking his chops. DJ (and every Cut offense) has always been proficient at working the middle of the field with TE's, and that could be effective if they hang on to the ball (Helm took some shots Saturday but still he had a couple hit his hands that he should've held on to) but Clemson has KVon Wallace, Isaiah Simmons and Tanner Muse, all big and very physical safeties, so our TE's are gonna take some shots, just have to man up and catch the ball and hang on to it.

To bring it full circle I think at full strength the secondary and LB's could've contained Clemson's offense and we could've impressed a lot of folks on a national stage, but where we sit today with the injuries that will have some guys out and some limited, we do not matchup well at all with Clemson. We could - today - give ND a game, OSU and Michigan, LSU, and a whole bunch of other teams that have been ranked in or around the top 10. We have a stud QB, an elite coaching staff, a ton of speed at the skill positions, and a very gritty confident roster that seems to always rise up to the challenge and continually impress us as fans and the country really. I just see this matchup on this Saturday as unfortunately one of the worst matchups for our team. Hope they prove me wrong!

Facts! You've got nothing but facts for me?:)

Go Duke! I still never concede a game to anybody. But I'm glad I don't have to play against those Tigers. And that's a fact!:D

Thanks for the good assessment, though.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-13-2018, 01:01 PM

Pretty much agree with everything you said...and I think our best chance is to take Wake's strategy for the NC State game - commit to stopping the run, and keep the passing yardage in front of the DBs, and hope to stymie in the red zone and force some FGs instead of TDs. To help the D out, very deliberate on snap counts on offense. Reduce snaps for both teams. Time of possession very important here. Wake gave up a ton of passing yards to State, but not a ton of points.

Bob Green
11-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Cutcliffe Tuesday press conference link:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6298241

Here are some of his comments paraphrased...

1. Clemson is an elite team.
2. We have to have some balance in our offense.
3. LB Brandon Hill started for the first time against Carolina and got better as the game progressed...the best is yet to come.
4. Joe Giles-Harris remains day-to-day.
5. Lummie Young (#23) will start in place of injured Dylan Singleton. Lots of different combinations being looked at in the defensive backfield.

A lot more info/comments communicated by Coach Cutcliffe with the ones listed above jumping out at me.

duke79
11-13-2018, 03:41 PM
I'm calling the upset.....yeah, i said it...

LOL, I like your optimism.....but I watched most of the Clemson/BC game and Clemson is........big, strong, fast, athletic and most of their players know how to play football at a high collegiate level. I hate to be a pessimist but if we lose by less than 30 points, I would consider it to be the proverbial "moral victory." Plus, I pray we don't suffer any major injuries. I look at these games a little like when Delaware or Grand Canyon come in to play the Duke basketball team. Superior talent and athleticism usually wins out (big time).

Devilwin
11-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Not gonna say we have NO CHANCE, but we must do three things to even stay close. One. Protect Jones. Two. No dropped passes. Three. Limit big plays by them. If these things occur, we might can stay close..I know Clemson is awesome. But the game often has quirks....

Jaymf7
11-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Can anyone explain how Syracuse kept their games with Clemson so close the last two years? I didn't see the games but know they won last year and were ahead very late this year (aided by a QB injury). Is Syracuse's style/talent dramatically different than ours? I get that Clemson has likely improved and developed counters to that approach, but it could be nice to have some kind of roadmap to keeping it close.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-13-2018, 07:02 PM
Can anyone explain how Syracuse kept their games with Clemson so close the last two years? I didn't see the games but know they won last year and were ahead very late this year (aided by a QB injury). Is Syracuse's style/talent dramatically different than ours? I get that Clemson has likely improved and developed counters to that approach, but it could be nice to have some kind of roadmap to keeping it close.

That is a great question, and I can only assume that Cut is watching the Cuse-Clemson tapes. Of course, Syracuse had Kelly Bryant last year and they were the opponent for Clemson's first game with Lawrence as starter - and he made a poor decision and had to be taken out of the game. These situations not really duplicatable in some ways. But certainly the Syracuse strategy is where I would start building a game plan nonetheless.

brevity
11-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Does Anyone Have the Syracuse Recipe?

Not sure what their recipe is, though I assume it involves oranges.

Syracuse has three distinctions that work in their favor:

1. They play a zone. In every sport. (They are really bad at golf.)

2. Like Clemson, their coach has a silly name. Dino vs. Dabo!

3. A single picture was hung in the visiting locker room when Syracuse hosted Clemson in 2017, and it haunts Clemson to this day. "I still get horrible flashbacks of my father's choice of wardrobe," said Swinney.

moonpie23
11-13-2018, 08:49 PM
"Duke ends Rebels' run in 79-77 upset UNLV's 45-win streak is halted in semifinal"

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2018, 09:10 PM
"Duke ends Rebels' run in 79-77 upset UNLV's 45-win streak is halted in semifinal"

That was an upset, but it wasn't an earth shattering defeat. If Duke beats Clemson on Saturday, people in China are gonna be wondering what that rumbling is they hear as the ground wiggles beneath their feet.

OldPhiKap
11-13-2018, 09:18 PM
That was an upset, but it wasn't an earth shattering defeat. If Duke beats Clemson on Saturday, people in China are gonna be wondering what that rumbling is they hear as the ground wiggles beneath their feet.

Vegas was undefeated, and poised to be repeat champs. They humiliated us in the worst championship game beat-down the prior year.

Beating Clemson would be Earth-shattering. But I think beating Vegas was an even bigger upset.

I wonder how big the betting spread was in ‘91.

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Vegas was undefeated, and poised to be repeat champs. They humiliated us in the worst championship game beat-down the prior year.

Beating Clemson would be Earth-shattering. But I think beating Vegas was an even bigger upset.

I wonder how big the betting spread was in ‘91.

We were the #2 ranked team in 1991. We had a respectable chance of pulling the upset.
Duke FB ain't even in the top 25. Just a thought.

OldPhiKap
11-13-2018, 09:30 PM
We were the #2 ranked team in 1991. We had a respectable chance of pulling the upset.

Not disagreeing. But I remember the headline article:

“Bring on the Champions, send in the Clowns.”

But tell you what — let’s win Saturday, then settle this over a battle of smoked meat and Ymm, beer. Name your meat and beer style.

The Usual Suspects will judge the results.

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2018, 10:17 PM

But tell you what — let’s win Saturday, then settle this over a battle of smoked meat and Ymm, beer. Name your meat and beer style.

Sounds like a tasty plan!
One last thought. The bball game was two teams who had earned their way to be there, fighting to play in the national championship game.
Duke - Clemson is two teams playing a scheduled game, and only one team fighting to play in the national championship game.
If Clemson loses, they ain't gonna be in it, no way, no how. And they will be well aware of that on Saturday night.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-13-2018, 10:19 PM

....AND throw this in.....BB is a sport much more prone to upsets than FB......

devildeac
11-13-2018, 10:20 PM

We'll be at an in-law's wedding Saturday afternoon and reception Saturday night. I'll be tracking the score and will be available for beer consults that night and for almost any time during the next several weeks. Y'all know how to contact me.

OldPhiKap
11-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a tasty plan!
One last thought. The bball game was two teams who had earned their way to be there, fighting to play in the national championship game.
Duke - Clemson is two teams playing a scheduled game, and only one team fighting to play in the national championship game.
If Clemson loses, they ain't gonna be in it, no way, no how. And they will be well aware of that on Saturday night.

Again, don’t disagree. Really just looking to lose this bet, then have you try my brisket while dd plies us with obscure craft beers.

Win-win-win.

DU82
11-13-2018, 10:43 PM

In 1991, we were a number two seed, ranked sixth going into the tournament.

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2018, 10:49 PM
In 1991, we were a number two seed, ranked sixth going into the tournament.

In the grand scheme of things, same dif.

Reilly
11-13-2018, 10:57 PM
... If Clemson loses, they ain't gonna be in it, no way, no how. And they will be well aware of that on Saturday night.

2014: Oregon, one of top 4, lost to final #22 SRS Arizona and still made the playoff

2015: Mich St, one of top 4, lost to final #40 SRS Nebraska and still made the playoff
2015: Oklahoma, one of top 4, lost to final #69 SRS Texas and still made the playoff

2016: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #31 SRS Pitt and still made the playoff

2017: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #60 SRS Syracuse and still made the playoff

Right now, Duke is #37 SRS and would rise w/ a Clemson win ... we're right now better than the Nebraska, Texas, and Syracuse squads that beat teams that made the playoffs

devildeac
11-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Again, don’t disagree. Really just looking to lose this bet, then have you try my brisket while dd plies us with obscure craft beers.

Win-win-win.

Several nominees already in my "cellar."

;)

CameronBornAndBred
11-13-2018, 11:12 PM
2014: Oregon, one of top 4, lost to final #22 SRS Arizona and still made the playoff

2015: Mich St, one of top 4, lost to final #40 SRS Nebraska and still made the playoff
2015: Oklahoma, one of top 4, lost to final #69 SRS Texas and still made the playoff

2016: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #31 SRS Pitt and still made the playoff

2017: Clemson, one of the top 4, lost to final #60 SRS Syracuse and still made the playoff

Right now, Duke is #37 SRS and would rise w/ a Clemson win ... we're right now better than the Nebraska, Texas, and Syracuse squads that beat teams that made the playoffs

If Clemson plays us with a "Well, we can lose this game and be ok" attitude, power to 'em. I'd welcome the nonchalance, but I don't expect it. "Losing to Duke" still carries lots of weight, even though it is baseless at this point.

elvis14
11-13-2018, 11:49 PM

Last year Syracuse surprised Clemson a bit. Their QB had a fantastic game. They played very up tempo which kept Clemson in their base defense (not enough time to call for various blitz packages, etc). Syracuse played a great game.

This year Syracuse again played a great game and a very fast tempo but the key to their success was QB1 getting hurt early in game the same week in which QB2 quit on the team to transfer (He's either the 3rd for 4th QB to transfer since Trevor Lawrence announced he was coming to play for Clemson). The new QB2, redshirt freshman Chase Bryce, had very little experience and it showed but he still managed to lead the team to victory over the plucky Orangemen.

Bad news for Duke is that even if QB1 gets hurt, the new QB2 has gotten lots of playing time post-Syracuse because QB1 isn't needed in the fourth quarter of most games. If one and done was allowed in football Trevor Lawrence would be the first overall pick in the NFL draft. That kid can sling it. NCSU sold out to stop the run and hoped that a true freshman QB wouldn't beat them. NCSU got blown out. If you don't sell out to stop the run ETN will run all over you. If you do sell out to stop the run Trevor will throw it all over the place. That's just the offense, the strength of the team is the D-Line. They stuff the run and get after the QB all game long.

Sorry guys, this game isn't going to be close.

martydoesntfoul
11-13-2018, 11:53 PM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? I’d like to think that in some kind of alternate universe, fans around the country become outraged when, despite our huge lead, we leave the starters in for the fourth quarter. Why, you may ask? Because due to injuries these are our second and third stringers, and we’ve got nobody else left on the bench!

OK, back to reality...

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Last year Syracuse surprised Clemson a bit. Their QB had a fantastic game. They played very up tempo which kept Clemson in their base defense (not enough time to call for various blitz packages, etc). Syracuse played a great game.

This year Syracuse again played a great game and a very fast tempo but the key to their success was QB1 getting hurt early in game the same week in which QB2 quit on the team to transfer (He's either the 3rd for 4th QB to transfer since Trevor Lawrence announced he was coming to play for Clemson). The new QB2, redshirt freshman Chase Bryce, had very little experience and it showed but he still managed to lead the team to victory over the plucky Orangemen.

Bad news for Duke is that even if QB1 gets hurt, the new QB2 has gotten lots of playing time post-Syracuse because QB1 isn't needed in the fourth quarter of most games. If one and done was allowed in football Trevor Lawrence would be the first overall pick in the NFL draft. That kid can sling it. NCSU sold out to stop the run and hoped that a true freshman QB wouldn't beat them. NCSU got blown out. If you don't sell out to stop the run ETN will run all over you. If you do sell out to stop the run Trevor will throw it all over the place. That's just the offense, the strength of the team is the D-Line. They stuff the run and get after the QB all game long.

Sorry guys, this game isn't going to be close.

Pretty much this all day, and Elvis got my sporks for it. I want us to win, I want us to "shock the world". IF we didn't have the injuries that we do, and IF they weren't weighted towards the D side that they are, I might even have an inkling of hope. Hell, I'm an optimist! But not for this Saturday.
We are too depleted of starters, and too many gone from the wrong side of the ball. I expect us to score points, but even if we hold to the 27.5 line or whatever it is, that means that the game is going to be 77-49.
I expect the 77. Not so much the 49. Clemson is going to be Pitt times two.
Still watching though!

jbay201
11-14-2018, 01:15 AM
Pretty much this all day, and Elvis got my sporks for it. I want us to win, I want us to "shock the world". IF we didn't have the injuries that we do, and IF they weren't weighted towards the D side that they are, I might even have an inkling of hope. Hell, I'm an optimist! But not for this Saturday.
We are too depleted of starters, and too many gone from the wrong side of the ball. I expect us to score points, but even if we hold to the 27.5 line or whatever it is, that means that the game is going to be 77-49.
I expect the 77. Not so much the 49. Clemson is going to be Pitt times two.
Still watching though!

i have a good feeling we pull this off...clemson hasn't really been challenged this year and seems very cocky. IMO they are the weakest of the top 4 teams as the ACC (outside of Duke) has been abysmal in football this year. Its definitely going to be a shootout and we have the better QB (Projected as top 3 QB for NFL next year!).

uh_no
11-14-2018, 01:33 AM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

My advice is to start drinking heavily.

Regardless of what you expect the outcome to be, i mean.

martydoesntfoul
11-14-2018, 02:28 AM
My advice is to start drinking heavily.

Regardless of what you expect the outcome to be, i mean.If it will lessen the pain, count me in. And if we win, I’m more likely to keep my word to the kids by taking a shower fully dressed. So cheers in the hope I’m a soggy mess come Saturday night...

subzero02
11-14-2018, 04:06 AM
We are +3000 on the moneyline... that says it all.

Bob Green
11-14-2018, 04:49 AM
Jim Sumner article on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/14/18094438/heading-into-death-valley-duke-is-relishing-the-challenge-acc-football

Cutcliffe said Clemson was as good as any team he’s seen in his long career, citing their balance, effort, coaching and “weapons everywhere.”

As always, Jim's article is well worth the read.

arnie
11-14-2018, 06:50 AM

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/11/14/18094438/heading-into-death-valley-duke-is-relishing-the-challenge-acc-football

Cut can just replay everything he said for our opener next year.

jwillfan
11-14-2018, 07:28 AM

Jim's article finishes with "Duke no longer lists Aaron Young on its depth chart. Draw your own conclusions."

Anyone care to explain? I am too dumb to draw any conclusions. It's been a mystery to me that he's been out all season with a hamstring strain.

devildeac
11-14-2018, 07:39 AM
I'll start the predictions parade:

82-50

no, wait,

118-84

I meant,

Blue and white (and black, maybe gray:rolleyes:)-7

Orange and purple-63

Final answer. No pies.

I hope it's that close. I've still got a couple large format bottles of fine and obscure hand crafted ales to pair with OPK's large brisket. Just in case :o.

Indoor66
11-14-2018, 08:20 AM
We'll be at an in-law's wedding Saturday afternoon and reception Saturday night. I'll be tracking the score and will be available for beer consults that night and for almost any time during the next several weeks. Y'all know how to contact me.

Be careful with the tippling while at the joyous festivities, Doc. Such occasions can be fraught with peril. :):cool:

OldPhiKap
11-14-2018, 09:07 AM
I'll start the predictions parade:

82-50

no, wait,

118-84

I meant,

Blue and white (and black, maybe gray:rolleyes:)-7

Orange and purple-63

Final answer. No pies.

I hope it's that close. I've still got a couple large format bottles of fine and obscure hand crafted ales to pair with OPK's large brisket. Just in case :o.

My briskets are large, real -- and spectacular.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-14-2018, 09:26 AM

You mean like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL2PicT9Kng

devildeac
11-14-2018, 09:28 AM
Be careful with the tippling while at the joyous festivities, Doc. Such occasions can be fraught with peril. :):cool:

On call for the weekend so ginger will be the only ale I'll be tippling. ;)

devildeac
11-14-2018, 09:31 AM

I'll bet your loins are pretty tender, too. Beef or pork, of course.

The Wake Forest tailgate would be a good one to show them off, should we shock the world in this one.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Well, tongue in cheek...but this was brutal about Duke (in a Clemson assessment for the playoffs)

FTA

"The ESPN Playoff Predictor gives the Tigers a 95 percent chance to make the CFP, the highest figure nationally. And why not? Duke and South Carolina don't look to pose a big threat. Pitt, despite its reputation as a giant killer, did well just to qualify for the ACC title game. Imagine, though, the argument for UCF if Pitt beats Clemson after losing to the Knights by 31 in September. Almost more realistic is Clemson beating Duke this week by 85 to break the ACC record for point differential in one season of conference play."

The vodka is in the freezer.....

OldPhiKap
11-14-2018, 09:56 AM
I'll bet your loins are pretty tender, too. Beef or pork, of course.

The Wake Forest tailgate would be a good one to show them off, should we shock the world in this one.

May have to wait for the pre-bowl tailgate. DaughterPK will be home for Thanksgiving so I'm planting myself in front of a TV with a belly full of turkey.

Avvocato
11-14-2018, 10:35 AM
As an aside, two pieces on ESPN+ (formerly ESPN insider) on next year's draft. One has Daniel Jones as a prospect on the rise this week. Kiper called DJ, after his UNC performance, currently his number 2 QB prospect behind Justin Herbert. The second has DJ as Kiper's #18 prospect in his Top 25 Big Board.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/25268737/2019-nfl-draft-prospects-ranking-position-mel-kiper-big-board-ranking-top-25-grades

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/25242411/college-football-best-defensive-backs-2019-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-jr-todd-mcshay

Acymetric
11-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Jim's article finishes with "Duke no longer lists Aaron Young on its depth chart. Draw your own conclusions."

Anyone care to explain? I am too dumb to draw any conclusions. It's been a mystery to me that he's been out all season with a hamstring strain.

Hamstring strains can seriously linger (so can a lot of soft tissue injuries, but hammies seem especially bad). Dalvin Cook has essentially missed the entire NFL season with a bad hammy. Crowder has had similar problems with his. Easy to re-aggravate, and hard to know just how healthy it is until you test it (which of course risks re-aggravation).

rtnorthrup
11-14-2018, 11:46 AM

Young hurt his hamstring very early on in the season (week 2 or 3), however, Duke continued to list him as the #1 WR on the pre-game depth charts each week even though he hasn't played since his injury. His continued listing on the depth chart had many fans constantly wondering when he was going to return from injury. His removal from the depth chart likely indicates that the coaches no longer anticipate him returning from his injury. It also could be a reward by the coaching staff to the WRs who have been practicing and playing in the games.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Young hurt his hamstring very early on in the season (week 2 or 3), however, Duke continued to list him as the #1 WR on the pre-game depth charts each week even though he hasn't played since his injury. His continued listing on the depth chart had many fans constantly wondering when he was going to return from injury. His removal from the depth chart likely indicates that the coaches no longer anticipate him returning from his injury. It also could be a reward by the coaching staff to the WRs who have been practicing and playing in the games.

As long as it does not mean that he is withdrawing from the team or some such.

Rest up, heal and rehab. It's all you can do.

Clocktower
11-14-2018, 12:19 PM
I'll be at the game Saturday night. Daughter is a Clemson frosh who's bored with the football program because there are no suspenseful games. I'm going to wear my Duke gear (even though not sitting with the other Duke fans) and will hope to be harassed by the home crowd because the only way that will happen is if we pose some sort of threat to them.

Duke football: our next four games include the #2 and #1 nationally ranked teams! Go get 'em!

budwom
11-14-2018, 02:05 PM

As I know you know, as a longtime follower of Duke football, our depth chart does not really represent a whole lot...it basically (and not to be snide) represents the depth chart IF the guys
on it were healthy, which often they are not...which is why guys keep appearing as ones or twos on the chart and yet they continually don't play...hello AAron Young, Brittain Brown, quite a few others.
I just don't pay attention to it any more....Cut wants to keep his injury info to himself, that's the way it's going to be, so don't expect much in the way of real info.

jimsumner
11-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Young is not likely to play this week. He had a great opener against Army but has only played once since then.

Duke is going to pursue a sixth-year for Edgar Cerenord, who was a healthy redshirt as a freshman but played only four games this season before going down with an injury.

Cerenord would not have had much of a case a few years ago. But the new warm-and-fuzzy NCAA has been more player-friendly in recent years, so who knows?

Young is a redshirt junior, a healthy redshirt as a freshman. Down the road, he and Duke might want to pursue a sixth year. But not likely if he plays again this season.

Lots of moving parts and too soon to know how this will play out. But Aaron Young would certainly help Duke more as a sixth-year senior in 2020 then in the final three games of 2018.

And yes, hamstring injuries can and do linger. Anthony Nash lost entire seasons to that problem.

As an aside, I'll take Duke and 85 points.

Bob Green
11-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Lots of moving parts and too soon to know how this will play out. But Aaron Young would certainly help Duke more as a sixth-year senior in 2020 then in the final three games of 2018.

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate you sharing your insight on the situation.

devildeac
11-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Young is not likely to play this week. He had a great opener against Army but has only played once since then.

Duke is going to pursue a sixth-year for Edgar Cerenord, who was a healthy redshirt as a freshman but played only four games this season before going down with an injury.

Cerenord would not have had much of a case a few years ago. But the new warm-and-fuzzy NCAA has been more player-friendly in recent years, so who knows?

Young is a redshirt junior, a healthy redshirt as a freshman. Down the road, he and Duke might want to pursue a sixth year. But not likely if he plays again this season.

And yes, hamstring injuries can and do linger. Anthony Nash lost entire seasons to that problem.

As an aside, I'll take Duke and 85 points.

Doubt you'll have may pie-takers on that one. :eek:

DukieTiger
11-15-2018, 12:11 AM
I'll be at the game Saturday night. Daughter is a Clemson frosh who's bored with the football program because there are no suspenseful games. I'm going to wear my Duke gear (even though not sitting with the other Duke fans) and will hope to be harassed by the home crowd because the only way that will happen is if we pose some sort of threat to them.

Duke football: our next four games include the #2 and #1 nationally ranked teams! Go get 'em!

As an ‘09 Clemson grad, I feel entitled to say... kids these days! Tell your daughter the alternative is weekly excitement about whether or not “Clemsoning” will happen. ;)

Seriously though, enjoy the trip! Here’s hoping for a close, exciting game.

elvis14
11-15-2018, 11:20 AM
As an ‘09 Clemson grad, I feel entitled to say... kids these days! Tell your daughter the alternative is weekly excitement about whether or not “Clemsoning” will happen. ;)

Seriously though, enjoy the trip! Here’s hoping for a close, exciting game.

I bet they could charge admission to the post game press conference no matter what the score if they simply announced that multiple members of the press were going to ask Dabo about Clemsoning!

chrishoke
11-15-2018, 12:29 PM
All white unis for Saturday night, white helmet with the iron D.

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2018, 12:33 PM

Go Good Guys!

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2018, 07:01 AM

Clean. Classy. All business, as it should be at Clemson. I Like it.
Also, I wanted an excuse to bump the FB game thread back on page one....

Reilly
11-16-2018, 07:42 AM
... white helmet with the iron D.

And apparently no stripe on the middle of the helmet, per the Twitter reveal. Do not recall ever seeing that for Duke under Cut.

Maybe it signifies the need to play an absolutely "clean" game -- no penalties, no plays for a loss while on O.

killerleft
11-16-2018, 10:24 AM
"This is what we play for, it's a huge opportunity... We're confident that we'll make the most of it."

"Silencing a crowd like that is a satisfying feeling and we'll be looking to do that."

Daniel Jones is ready to play. Bob Sutton of the Burlington (NC) Times-News has the story:

https://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20181114/blue-devils-pumped-to-take-shot-at-upset

Hope springs eternal, said Alexander Pope. I'll be tuned in to the TV, and really wish I could be there. Butterflies already. Let the legend of Big Dan J begin.

Bob Green
11-16-2018, 04:13 PM
And apparently no stripe on the middle of the helmet...

Yes sir, that appears to be the case:

budwom
11-16-2018, 04:23 PM
And apparently no stripe on the middle of the helmet, per the Twitter reveal. Do not recall ever seeing that for Duke under Cut.

Maybe it signifies the need to play an absolutely "clean" game -- no penalties, no plays for a loss while on O.

Plus they could sell ice cream after the game and make a little spending money...

Reilly
11-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Bob, that photo looks like stormtrooper (?) helmets (sorry, not a Star Wars fan so reference may be totally wrong).

Clemson at #2 is as high of a ranked team that we've played since almost five years ago (Dec 7, 2013) playing #1 FSU in the ACCCG.

Anybody know the last ranked team we beat (ranked in AP at the time of the game)? 2016 -- beat #15 UNC.

wilson
11-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Yes sir, that appears to be the case:

8816I love this look. I’ve always had a thing for white football helmets, and I dig the overall unadorned nature of this ensemble (with no black!). With Clemson presumably in their traditional orange and everybody under the lights, this will be a pretty football game to look at...until it’s ugly to look at.

luvdahops
11-16-2018, 04:52 PM
I love this look. I’ve always had a thing for white football helmets, and I dig the overall unadorned nature of this ensemble (with no black!). With Clemson presumably in their traditional orange and everybody under the lights, this will be a pretty football game to look at...until it’s ugly to look at.

I go the other way - I think white helmets look soft, especially with no center stripe. Perhaps because I associate them first with the NFL Cardinals, who've generally ranked among the league's worst teams defensively through much of my lifetime.

I think the regular thick blue stripe helps to toughen up things a bit, but prefer the blue ones, especially with the Iron Duke D. Blue pants with the white jerseys, too. But very glad that our all-white ensemble does not veer into Storm Trooper territory (i.e. no stripes on helmet, jersey or parts, but visible swooshes and UA logos of course), which is almost as overdone these days as the all-black look.

Now get off my lawn...

duke79
11-16-2018, 05:15 PM
I go the other way - I think white helmets look soft, especially with no center stripe. Perhaps because I associate them first with the NFL Cardinals, who've generally ranked among the league's worst teams defensively through much of my lifetime.

I think the regular thick blue stripe helps to toughen up things a bit, but prefer the blue ones, especially with the Iron Duke D. Blue pants with the white jerseys, too. But very glad that our all-white ensemble does not veer into Storm Trooper territory (i.e. no stripes on helmet, jersey or parts, but visible swooshes and UA logos of course), which is almost as overdone these days as the all-black look.

Now get off my lawn...

Totally agree with you!

Bob Green
11-16-2018, 05:25 PM

Soft? Cardinals? Conrad Dobler says hello:

luvdahops
11-16-2018, 05:28 PM

Maybe they should've put him on the other side of the ball. Dierdorf, too.

devildeac
11-16-2018, 05:35 PM

He needs another 6 on that jersey...

jv001
11-16-2018, 05:51 PM

"Dirty Dobler" as he was affectionately known. Makes Chris Paul look meek. GoDuke!

chrishoke
11-16-2018, 06:00 PM
We still don't know if Joe Giles Harris will play against Clemson but he did travel with the team. Here's Hoping. We sure could use the big guy.

martydoesntfoul
11-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Considering watching this game in the fetal position. Thoughts?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2018, 09:24 PM

It's like an eclipse...don't look directly at it....

BLPOG
11-16-2018, 09:50 PM

Just make sure you've got a bottle.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2018, 10:01 PM
We still don't know if Joe Giles Harris will play against Clemson but he did travel with the team. Here's Hoping. We sure could use the big guy.

Yup. At minimum, progress.

DU82
11-16-2018, 10:15 PM

I’ll watch it from section V for victory. (Row V as well.)

CameronBlue
11-16-2018, 10:46 PM
I’ll watch it from section V for victory. (Row V as well.)

I'll watch it until it becomes unwatchable. But, since I'm not actually PLAYING in the game, I'm not out there busting my buttchops trying to bring the school a measure of pride for a sometimes ungrateful fan base, whatever discomfort I may feel probably has more to do from having my brain irradiated by a 55 inch wide screen TV than for any true pain derived from merely watching the game. There's always the whining that comes after a loss that will help soothe my damaged psyche.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-16-2018, 10:47 PM
On the score prediction thread at TigerNet, the most prominent Clemson fan forum, most predictions are something like 56-13...and there is a 65-7 prediction.....and 42-16 was I think the closest prediction. Man I so wish we had our healthy D to go down there...

OldPhiKap
11-16-2018, 11:03 PM
They are overconfident, and looking forward to South Carolina’s hate fest next week.

Cut has been plotting and scheming.

We have them just where we want them.

Duke 31, Clemson 27.

(Or not. Either way, LGD!!!)

moonpie23
11-16-2018, 11:19 PM
"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on OldPhiKap again."

i'm watching the game from sunday morning......

Reilly
11-16-2018, 11:26 PM
... i'm watching the game from sunday morning ...

That sounds easy ...

devildeac
11-16-2018, 11:27 PM
They are overconfident, and looking forward to South Carolina’s hate fest next week.

Cut has been plotting and scheming.

We have them just where we want them.

Duke 31, Clemson 27.

(Or not. Either way, LGD!!!)

and

My contribution is ready...

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2018, 11:33 PM
I love this look. I’ve always had a thing for white football helmets, and I dig the overall unadorned nature of this ensemble (with no black!). With Clemson presumably in their traditional orange and everybody under the lights, this will be a pretty football game to look at...until it’s ugly to look at.

It's going to be senior night for Clemson. Don't they usually wear more purple, especially pants, for senior night?

DU82
11-16-2018, 11:36 PM
It's going to be senior night for Clemson. Don't they usually wear more purple, especially pants, for senior night?

Yes, it’s a “purple out” for Military Appreciation Night (purple heart and all.)

gep
11-17-2018, 12:11 AM
I'll watch it until it becomes unwatchable. But, since I'm not actually PLAYING in the game, I'm not out there busting my buttchops trying to bring the school a measure of pride for a sometimes ungrateful fan base, whatever discomfort I may feel probably has more to do from having my brain irradiated by a 55 inch wide screen TV than for any true pain derived from merely watching the game. There's always the whining that comes after a loss that will help soothe my damaged psyche.

Yes. I too feel that Duke will play their hearts out... and us fan base gotta stick with them...

On the score prediction thread at TigerNet, the most prominent Clemson fan forum, most predictions are something like 56-13...and there is a 65-7 prediction...and 42-16 was I think the closest prediction. Man I so wish we had our healthy D to go down there...

At least it wasn’t 77 - 16 😎

Bob Green
11-17-2018, 07:03 AM
Brett Friedlander's weekly "Five Questions to Ponder" article:

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/11/five-questions-to-ponder-before-kickoff-23/

Although it will be trying to win the game on the scoreboard, Duke can declare victory if it can return home to Durham with all its key players healthy.

Devilwin
11-17-2018, 07:39 AM
Are they letting the Tigers play 15 men on the field at the same time or something? Sure, they are one of the top teams in the land, and should be heavily favored.
But we aren't that bad. If we protect Jones, and he is sharp, and the receivers don't drop catchable balls, this thing could be closer than most of us here think.
Also, the defense must be on point, just make the Tigers earn everything, no 80 yard runs from scrimmage. And remember this. We've had some of our best wins on the road this season..Go DUKE!!!!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
Brett Friedlander's weekly "Five Questions to Ponder" article:

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/11/five-questions-to-ponder-before-kickoff-23/

Yeah, I never want to say that the goal is not winning.

But avoiding injuries is pretty big at this point of this season.

Indoor66
I will watch some and if it becomes painful will fall back on checking my reliable theScore (http://company.thescore.com/) app on my phone.

DukeDevil
11-17-2018, 07:58 AM
I’m looking forward to the emergency DBR podcast tonight where all 3 of the guys are hammered from the surprise Clemson upset! If only...

HereBeforeCoachK
11-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I never want to say that the goal is not winning.

But avoiding injuries is pretty big at this point of this season.

Strategy versus tactics...and how a fan can look at it, that a coaching staff and team cannot:

The tactical plan to beat Clemson is one thing...but the strategy of moving Duke's program forward, is something else. Winning 8, and then a bowl game, is a very reachable and attainable goal, and would serve the strategy of moving the program forward. More losses of personnel against Clemson will set that goal back. Of course, you can't game plan for football simply to avoid injuries...but as fans, we are allowed the luxury of stepping back and pinning our hopes on keeping the score respectable and the infirmary empty...en route to 9-4.

Clemson is a battle. The program's success is the war.

swiseman
11-17-2018, 08:12 AM

Much better chance of him playing vs. Wake Forest. He'll be in Brandon Hill's ear tonight though providing support. Cut has taken injured guys on some trips this season. Edgar Cerenord was in Miami.

TruBlu
11-17-2018, 08:37 AM
We need some creative offensive play calling. Runs up the middle and bubble screens only will not get it done. Two tight ends in the backfield to help protect DJ, empty backfields, misdirections, and some quick trick plays will be needed, IMH(and football ignorant)O.

GO DUKE!!!!

budwom
11-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Much better chance of him playing vs. Wake Forest. He'll be in Brandon Hill's ear tonight though providing support. Cut has taken injured guys on some trips this season. Edgar Cerenord was in Miami.

yeah, considering he was wearing a knee brace on the sideline last Saturday, I can't imagine he'd play...I'd even be mildly surprised if he plays vs Wake...but hopefully he'll be well by the bowl game..

devildeac
11-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Great info, Steve. Makes perfect sense. Hill had a good game vs the cheats. Thanks for sharing.

moonpie23
11-17-2018, 09:52 AM
gonna make history tonight !! all the time, you hear about how impossible it is to win the lottery..."you'd sooner be bitten by a shark riding a unicycle in a snow storm in miami"

you know what? people win the lottery all the time.....

Sept 1, 2007...."there's not way App state can beat michigan!"......no way.....it's ridiculous....

killerleft
11-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Are they letting the Tigers play 15 men on the field at the same time or something? Sure, they are one of the top teams in the land, and should be heavily favored.
But we aren't that bad. If we protect Jones, and he is sharp, and the receivers don't drop catchable balls, this thing could be closer than most of us here think.
Also, the defense must be on point, just make the Tigers earn everything, no 80 yard runs from scrimmage. And remember this. We've had some of our best wins on the road this season..Go DUKE!!!!!!!!!!
Damn straight. Just gotta release our inner Coyote and steal this thing!

It's the Navajo way!

freshmanjs
11-17-2018, 11:11 AM
gonna make history tonight !! all the time, you hear about how impossible it is to win the lottery..."you'd sooner be bitten by a shark riding a unicycle in a snow storm in miami"

you know what? people win the lottery all the time....

Yes, and if they played this game millions of times, Duke would certainly win some of them.

Avvocato
11-17-2018, 11:20 AM
I think it’s safe to say most, including myself, are expecting a butt kicking. Our weaknesses right now match up horribly with some of their strengths. Our injury ravaged defense has been raked by running attacks, and Etienne and crew are probably licking their chops. Offensively, our line is in trouble. The Clemson defensive front is littered with first round picks. Plus, they are probably the one school that matches up talent wise with Alabama. However, as Herm Edwards famously said, “You play to win the game... Hello! You play to win the game.” I’m pretty sure the team will show up at Death Valley. So let’s try and steal one.

The good news is that Cut’s Duke teams have generally showed up for national road games. Think Notre Dame and Louisville 2016, and to a lesser extent even Miami this year. We have the weapons on offense to move the ball and make plays if DJ gets some time. As a poster said upthread, we should be creative. Throw in some jump passes, misdirection, etc. (though I would avaoid and slow developing plays since their line will be in our backfield and that just spells 6-yard loss). I think the QBs running (including QH if he’s in) may be key to counter act what is likely to be a big Clemson rush. Whether by design, option or scrambling, I think we’ll need the QBs to make plays with their legs. However, I do anticipate a lot of throws to the flats and screens. Not because we all love those plays but DJ may need to get the ball out quickly. I also think we’ll see lots of shots down the field. If DJ doesn’t have a lot of time, you may see him just take the snap and taking some deep chances. It goes without saying the receivers will need to catch the ball and make plays, including winning some 50-50 balls.

As an aside, I do wonder if DJ’s publicity this week won’t be bulletin material for a Clemson defense that maybe was going to look past us, but whatever. Probably won’t make a difference but would have preferred that discussion to be next week. On the flip,side, hopefully DJ doesn’t feel added pressure, especially with scouts coming to watch him against the Clemson defense.

Defensively, well, we are in some trouble. I think we just have to hope we can make enough stops to force field goal attempts and not touchdowns. BC did that last week, so the score never got out of hand. Basically, the ultimate bend but don’t break defense. And please tackle.

Keep penalties and turnovers to a minimum. Make a play on special teams. And coaching-wise, make smart adjustments. And don’t be intimidated or afraid.

Do I expect UNLVII level upset? Of course not. But we’re going to show up. So let’s go for it. Let’s go Duke!

budwom
11-17-2018, 12:01 PM
^ good post. To me, the best news is that The Dabster and Cut are good friends.

jimsumner
11-17-2018, 12:23 PM
The way this season has gone, I fully expect Duke to beat Clemson and follow that up with a home loss to Wake Forest.

Devilwin
11-17-2018, 12:44 PM
The way this season has gone, I fully expect Duke to beat Clemson and follow that up with a home loss to Wake Forest.

Right now Wake is up ,3-0 on Pitt, and driving. So you may be prophetic there.

peloton
11-17-2018, 01:02 PM

Now, that's pretty funny, Jim. It definitely made me chuckle and being a Duke fan since I was a kid, nothing regarding Duke football surprises me at this point. We've certainly "seen it all". Let me go on record and say I'll take a Clemson win and loss to Wake Forest :D.

But on a more serious note, I'm just hoping we come out of this game without any additional serious injuries. After all, we've got at least 2 more games to be played.

peloton
11-17-2018, 01:06 PM

you know what? people win the lottery all the time...

Sept 1, 2007..."there's not way App state can beat michigan!"...no way...it's ridiculous...

I like your attitude! It's rather Ozziesque.

budwom
11-17-2018, 01:11 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with waking up on game day and having a few nips to get things going...

Avvocato
11-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Didn’t know if this merited a new thread, but Alabama and 4-5 Citadel are tied 10-10 at the half. Bring on clemson!

peloton
11-17-2018, 01:54 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with waking up on game day and having a few nips to get things going...

Especially when you wake up to Vermont weather this time of year I imagine (replied the native North Carolinian).

OldPhiKap
11-17-2018, 02:32 PM
Mods, please delete my above post with the Citadel halftime score before I do any more damage. TIA

Don’t you mean “TUA”?

accfanfrom1970
11-17-2018, 02:50 PM

and

My contribution is ready...

Can we expect a foolery beer review I hope?

accfanfrom1970
11-17-2018, 03:04 PM
. . . I'll just post this here:

Halftime

Alabama 10
Citadel 10

So maybe we have a chance against Clemson.

Ouch on that 2nd half....

DU82
11-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Sitting in a restaurant in Greenville, on my way to the game, I remember the last time I attended a game in Memorial Stadium. It was 1980, Duke was 0-5 and Clemsom was 4-1 IIRC. “No chance at all Duke wins.”

So, who is our Dennis Tabron tonight?

HereBeforeCoachK
11-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Sitting in a restaurant in Greenville, on my way to the game, I remember the last time I attended a game in Memorial Stadium. It was 1980, Duke was 0-5 and Clemsom was 4-1 IIRC. “No chance at all Duke wins.”

So, who is our Dennis Tabron tonight?

I was on the TigerNet forum yesterday, and in a Clemson Duke FB thread, someone mentioned that Clemson beat #1 Duke in hoops in 1980 - and I said perhaps a Clemson fan wouldn't want to use 1980 as an example, and I laid the 34-17 on 'em. BTW, was Tabron the guy with the pick six?

DU82
11-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Tabron had three picks, running the last one back 85 yards to clinch the game.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-17-2018, 05:40 PM
The games is not on either Hulu or Fubo......neither was the Cheats game last week, but it was on the ACC's website. Will this game be there too?

Devilwin
11-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Miami up 38-14 on Va Tech..

Acymetric
11-17-2018, 06:33 PM
The games is not on either Hulu or Fubo...neither was the Cheats game last week, but it was on the ACC's website. Will this game be there too?

I think you're only going to get it on WatchESPN if you're streaming (but I could be wrong, maybe it's on the ACC site too).

jimsumner
11-17-2018, 06:37 PM
I was on the TigerNet forum yesterday, and in a Clemson Duke FB thread, someone mentioned that Clemson beat #1 Duke in hoops in 1980 - and I said perhaps a Clemson fan wouldn't want to use 1980 as an example, and I laid the 34-17 on 'em. BTW, was Tabron the guy with the pick six?

Would it be churlish of me to point out that these two games were in different academic years?

-jk
11-17-2018, 06:54 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

fuse
11-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Only team to score on Clemson in the first quarter this season?
Wow.

AGDukesky
11-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Better start than I expected

DU82
11-17-2018, 07:49 PM
And who had Duke 6 Clemson 0 after one quarter?

kcduke75
11-17-2018, 07:51 PM
And who had Duke 6 Clemson 0 after one quarter?

I would have taken the under, this is awesome.

But they are pounding Jones on every down. May end up being a problem

DU82
11-17-2018, 07:59 PM
I would have taken the under, this is awesome.

But they are pounding Jones on every down. May end up being a problem

They’ve had at least two late hits.

DukeDevil
11-17-2018, 08:04 PM
They’ve had at least two late hits.

Agreed. Wondering if they’ll ever call it.

Rahming’s dropped a few big ones

DU82
11-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Renfrow out cold on the sideline. Looks bad.

DU82
11-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Renfrow out cold on the sideline. Looks bad.

He walked off the field but needed help.

Tripping William
11-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Klempsuning?

peloton
11-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Wow, the guys are really playing with some heart and determination...let's go Duke!!

ns7
11-17-2018, 08:26 PM
The 4th down opi was a bad call and critical.

ns7
11-17-2018, 08:30 PM
And now a targeting call is reversed...

TruBlu
11-17-2018, 08:33 PM
And now a targeting review against Duke. Any bets which way it will go?

kshepinthehouse
11-17-2018, 08:34 PM
The 4th down opi was a bad call and critical.

Eh he pushed off, he extended his arm. Probably not called a lot but......

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-17-2018, 08:35 PM
What a joke.

ns7

That one isn't because Hill didn't lower his crown. But of course the review will change it.

gillmic
So the Clemson hit wasn’t targeting, but it is okay to smack a receiver on the head?

kshepinthehouse

I can’t stand the targeting rule. The Duke player didn’t lower his head.

wavedukefan70s
Humm thought the reciever moved into that hit.
This rule needs some tweaks.
Ejection is a little much Imho.

knicknut
11-17-2018, 08:36 PM
So reverse a slap to the head, then immediately call 15 yards and an ejection for a tackle where you couldn't not touch his head at some point. Time to turn off a game that will be 11 on 18(?) from now on?

tbyers11
11-17-2018, 08:36 PM
If the targeting call against Duke is indeed the letter of the law then the law needs to be changed.

That was awful.

kshepinthehouse
11-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Humm thought the reciever moved into that hit.
This rule needs some tweaks.

They should want the defenders to keep their head up, which he did. If he lowers his head he may have actually missed helmet to helmet but it would have been more dangerous for the defender. He stood him up with his head up, what should he have done differently?

ns7
11-17-2018, 08:39 PM
They should want the defenders to keep their head up, which he did. If he lowers his head he may have actually missed helmet to helmet but it would have been more dangerous for the defender. He stood him up with his head up, what should he have done differently?

It was BS. It wasn't called on the field. The review official is having a bad game.

wavedukefan70s
11-17-2018, 08:40 PM

Nothing I thought it was a bogus call.
Its football not tap dancing.

kshepinthehouse
11-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Nothing I thought it was a bogus call.
Its football not tap dancing.

He had just finished running 40-50 yards to cover the punt and he is supposed to somehow calculate where his head and the returner’s head will be when he makes contact?

rsvman
11-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Third string linebacker now.

And we still made them punt again.

wavedukefan70s
11-17-2018, 08:47 PM
He had just finished running 40-50 yards to cover the punt and he is supposed to somehow calculate where his head and the returner’s head will be when he makes contact?

I personally think it's all crud.these guys signed up to play football they arent children. Let them hit .I dont agree with the way some of the changes are affecting the game.

wavedukefan70s
11-17-2018, 08:49 PM
We gotta get pressure on Lawrence.

ns7
11-17-2018, 08:52 PM
We gotta get pressure on Lawrence.

Nice blitz design on the last third down

wavedukefan70s
11-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Nice blitz design on the last third down

Yes it is we are very much in this game.

fuse
11-17-2018, 08:56 PM
Pretty amazing first half.

Let’s Go Duke!

slinky
11-17-2018, 08:57 PM
Since it's the half, I'm checking out the meltdown occurring over at TigerNet. There is not a big enough popcorn bowl for this. I'm really proud of our guys tonight.

chrishoke
11-17-2018, 08:59 PM
DJ is getting hit hard on just about every pass. I hope he survives.

duketaylor
11-17-2018, 08:59 PM
ejection, lowered his helmet to hit. Can't imagine how anyone saw something different. I hate the definition of the rule, but it was helmet-to-helmet, and eject.

duke79
11-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Very tough performance by Duke in the first half. Definitely a "moral victory" so far. I'm just worried that Duke expended so much energy so far that they're not going to have much left in the second half. Also, I'm not sure if Clemson is a dirty team or they just play very hard, aggressive football. But I hope there are no major injuries in the second half. Jones has taken some very hard hits.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-17-2018, 09:09 PM
ejection, lowered his helmet to hit. Can't imagine how anyone saw something different. I hate the definition of the rule, but it was helmet-to-helmet, and eject.

Bring that over to DBR Chat, and I'm sure you'll get some debate

AtlBluRew
11-17-2018, 09:12 PM
Adding my support: that targeting rule needs revision if what Hill did was really a violation; and I’m really proud of this team at halftime!!!!

ns7
11-17-2018, 09:13 PM

I can see them calling the Hill hit. But it is extremely inconsistent with the one they reversed.

From the rule:
Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

wavedukefan70s
11-17-2018, 09:14 PM

That's why they have helmets .I hate that rule.you can stick your hands inside a face mask variable other things .but god help a piece of equipment touch another.by theory the whole line on both teams should be gone .its helmet to helmet.

duketaylor
11-17-2018, 09:16 PM
Not looking for debate. I know what I saw and what I've seen the officials call. simple as that. Not that I like the rule, but that's the standard now.

wavedukefan70s
11-17-2018, 09:30 PM
We have to get some more protection for jones.kids taking some punishment.

ns7
11-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Clemson has a front four of NFL players. Line is doing well imo.

ns7
11-17-2018, 09:33 PM

The receivers haven't been great. Jones is making good reads but the receivers aren't adjusting to the passes.

Dr. Rosenrosen
Well, he needs to get rid of the ball. Dancing around in the pocket ain’t gonna cut it.

LasVegas
Kicking fields goals is not a path to victory in this game. Laughable.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Kicking fields goals is not a path to victory in this game. Laughable.
Especially when you miss them.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Offense hasn't helped at all. If Clemson scores here, we can all go home.

DU82
11-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Humphreys is hurt, probably not returning

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-17-2018, 09:40 PM
Respectable first half. Brace yourselves...

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Night all.

ns7
11-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Respectable first half. Brace yourselves...

We had 4-5 scoring opportunities and only ended up with six points.

DU82
11-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Humphreys on crutches, just carted to the locker room

duke79
11-17-2018, 09:49 PM
I hate to say this.......but......time to take Daniel Jones out of the game. To protect him. Duke is not going to win the game. Time to protect your star player, for future games (and for his future).

kcduke75
11-17-2018, 09:50 PM
It's over.

Really

Injuries &^%$%$^#&

TruBlu
11-17-2018, 09:55 PM
I hate to say this...but...time to take Daniel Jones out of the game. To protect him. Duke is not going to win the game. Time to protect your star player, for future games (and for his future).

Agree. He has been limping for the last few series. Think long term.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Agree. He has been limping for the last few series. Think long term.

...and short term.....good to give QH some more reps.....may need him again.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2018, 10:55 PM
We fought hard. We’re playing our three-deep in some spots. Game effort against an elite team on the road for their senior day.

Acymetric
11-17-2018, 11:41 PM
Cut was not happy in the postgame press conference. Would not shock me to see some new faces getting more burn next week...wasn't clear to me who he was talking about but he seemed to feel some guys were not leaving it all on the field.

devildeac
11-17-2018, 11:46 PM
Can we expect a foolery beer review I hope?

6-35 does not merit a Foolery review :(.

I'm thinking during the Christmas/New Year holiday season. ;)

devildeac
11-17-2018, 11:49 PM
It was BS. It wasn't called on the field. The review official is having a bad game.

Seems to happen frequently when Duke is one of the teams playing. :mad:

Reilly
11-18-2018, 02:23 AM
Cut was *hot* in his post-game comments. Did Duke players not play hard down the stretch? Seemed to be what he was saying.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6298988

Reilly
11-18-2018, 02:30 AM
More Cut post-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKu332vfeqU

DukieInKansas
11-18-2018, 06:04 AM
Report from Nephew Alex on the field - Duke band cheer: "We still got Zion".

HereBeforeCoachK
11-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Cut was *hot* in his post-game comments. Did Duke players not play hard down the stretch? Seemed to be what he was saying.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6298988

I think this includes the coaches.....I made the comment on the live chat that the coaches seemed to be mailing it in late too......

budwom
11-18-2018, 08:22 AM
jeezum, had we escaped the game without the Humphreys injury, I'd have declared the night a success...and it seems to me that knee of his has been acting up constantly much of the season.
Oh well, 7-4 is pretty solid, and a win over Wake would give us a very respectable regular season and a shot at a halfway decent bowl...

sagegrouse
11-18-2018, 08:32 AM
I think this includes the coaches....I made the comment on the live chat that the coaches seemed to be mailing it in late too...

I don't believe this is Cut's focus. The last half of the fourth quarter, both teams played substitutes. It was the third quarter where we couldn't run our offense or tackle Clemson's guys.

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Expecting a total blowout, I went to bed happy last night. The first half was great, and while it was a blowout in the end, Clemson didn't score the points that I expected them to. It is near impossible to stop an elite team without your starters, so what our guys did was pretty impressive in my book. Would have liked to score a TD, though. With receivers that can catch, we would have made this more of a game. Lots of yards dropped last night.

DukeDevil
11-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Happy we had a good showing the first half, wish we held it together more but that’s fine. Clemson is good and deserved the win.

Not terping that the refs cost us the game or anything, but did anyone else feel there were a ton of unnecessary late hits on Jones that went uncalled? Then again if they thought that the targeting call was on someone that was still defenseless and hadn’t made a move (even though he clearly had 2 shifts to make a move before he was hit), they must be extending action long enough in their heads that he’s still in the action of throwing for 2 seconds after the throw.

budwom
11-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Happy we had a good showing the first half, wish we held it together more but that’s fine. Clemson is good and deserved the win.

Not terping that the refs cost us the game or anything, but did anyone else feel there were a ton of unnecessary late hits on Jones that went uncalled? Then again if they thought that the targeting call was on someone that was still defenseless and hadn’t made a move (even though he clearly had 2 shifts to make a move before he was hit), they must be extending action long enough in their heads that he’s still in the action of throwing for 2 seconds after the throw.

Silver lining: at least Hill is healthy...we need him and Quonsah at LB in the worst kind of way, hopefully Harris comes back soon, too...

chrishoke
11-18-2018, 09:03 AM
More Cut post-game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKu332vfeqU

I loved Coach's comments. There was no BS. No moral victory. Daniel was very good under those circumstances. The other guys didn't give him much help, but not from a lack of trying, they just weren't very good.

Acymetric
11-18-2018, 09:41 AM
Report from Nephew Alex on the field - Duke band cheer: "We still got Zion".

Not a fan of that, if true.

moonpie23
11-18-2018, 09:43 AM
my clairvoyance needs tweaking......

so many dropped passes.. :(

Acymetric
11-18-2018, 10:09 AM
I did not realize how much we lose in the receiving game after this year. We have 6 receivers (WR/TE) with at least 10 receptions on the season and they are all graduating (Noah Gray, TE, is the lone returnee). Of course we also return Deon Jackson who has been very good in the passing game (and in general).

Looking only at WR, we are returning 25 receptions for 358 yards from this year's squad, with basically all of that coming from Bobo and Young.

chrishoke
11-18-2018, 10:51 AM
I did not realize how much we lose in the receiving game after this year. We have 6 receivers (WR/TE) with at least 10 receptions on the season and they are all graduating (Noah Gray, TE, is the lone returnee). Of course we also return Deon Jackson who has been very good in the passing game (and in general).

Looking only at WR, we are returning 25 receptions for 358 yards from this year's squad, with basically all of that coming from Bobo and Young.

On the bright side, Bobo and Young are both more talented than any of those we are losing.

arnie
11-18-2018, 10:54 AM
I loved Coach's comments. There was no BS. No moral victory. Daniel was very good under those circumstances. The other guys didn't give him much help, but not from a lack of trying, they just weren't very good.

The one obvious need for improvement is Special Teams . . . again and again.. Down 21-6, we’re attempting about a 42-yd FG (not sure why, but that’s another discussion). With play clock winding down, we realize wrong lineman in game which creates this huge clusterf...; barely get the snap of on time, snap is bobbled and kick is wide. Can’t blame the kicker, but for the umpteenth time in past few years, our special teams looked bad.

Why can’t this be upgraded to at least Division 1 mediocrity? Cut loyalty gone too far?

OTOH, we have the victory bell so all is OK in Duke football world.

Bob Green
11-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Why can’t this be upgraded to at least Division 1 mediocrity? Cut loyalty gone too far?

On multiple occasions, during press conferences, Coach Cutcliffe has praised Special Teams Coach Kirk Benedict.

Bob Green
11-18-2018, 12:49 PM

There will be wholesale change in the receiving corps next season. Aaron Young really, really needs to get and stay healthy. Jake Bobo looks like a future star to me.

It was nice to see Damon Philyaw-Johnson with a couple of catches last night. Perhaps he will be one of the guys who step up next year. Jarrett Garner needs to get stronger so he can win those 50-50 balls like he dropped last night. With his speed, he can be the deep threat we've been missing in recent years.

At TE, in addition to Noah Gray, Jake Marwede and Mark Birmingham haven't had a lot of opportunities due to the talent in front of them. I'm optimistic TE will remain a position of strength.

ehdg
11-18-2018, 12:58 PM
On the bright side, Bobo and Young are both more talented than any of those we are losing.

Hope your right but not sure both are better then TJ Rahming. He’s had a great 4 year career at Duke!

devildeac
11-18-2018, 01:29 PM

The Beamer/uncheats rule. :mad::mad:

devildeac
11-18-2018, 01:32 PM

But, what's the likelihood of Young returning? Guessing reasonably good as he's a R-Jr now.

devildeac
11-18-2018, 01:37 PM
The one obvious need for improvement is Special Teams . . . again and again.. Down 21-6, we’re attempting about a 42-yd FG (not sure why, but that’s another discussion). With play clock winding down, we realize wrong lineman in game which creates this huge clusterf...; barely get the snap of on time, snap is bobbled and kick is wide. Can’t blame the kicker, but for the umpteenth time in past few years, our special teams looked bad.

OTOH, we have the victory bell so all is OK in Duke football world.

On multiple occasions, during press conferences, Coach Cutcliffe has praised Special Teams Coach Kirk Benedict.

I think this year has been better than last year with some FG dependability, KO coverage/returns, more punt-catching/less punt-watching/rolling and punting. Still could be better.

HereBeforeCoachK
11-18-2018, 01:38 PM
There will be wholesale change in the receiving corps next season. Aaron Young really, really needs to get and stay healthy. Jake Bobo looks like a future star to me.

It was nice to see Damon Philyaw-Johnson with a couple of catches last night. Perhaps he will be one of the guys who step up next year. Jarrett Garner needs to get stronger so he can win those 50-50 balls like he dropped last night. With his speed, he can be the deep threat we've been missing in recent years.

At TE, in addition to Noah Gray, Jake Marwede and Mark Birmingham haven't had a lot of opportunities due to the talent in front of them. I'm optimistic TE will remain a position of strength.

Garner, in addition to 50-50 balls, needs to quit dropping room service bombs. That drop last night to me was not a 50-50 - it was a 95-5 and he should've caught that securely before the contact. On the upside, he gets deep better than anyone we have (small body or work admittedly)

arnie
11-18-2018, 01:50 PM
I think this year has been better than last year with some FG dependability, KO coverage/returns, more punt-catching/less punt-watching/rolling and punting. Still could be better.

ACC stats: Duke is:

last (14th) in punt return average yards
11th in kickoff return average yards
8th out of 11 in FG%. (3 teams did not meet minimum # of attempts).
Longest FG made - 35 yards. Too much trouble to check if that’s the worst in ACC, but likely.
8th in net punting average.

And unfortunately, this may be better than last year, but overall near bottom of ACC

budwom
11-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Garner, in addition to 50-50 balls, needs to quit dropping room service bombs. That drop last night to me was not a 50-50 - it was a 95-5 and he should've caught that securely before the contact. On the upside, he gets deep better than anyone we have (small body or work admittedly)

yup, correct me if I'm wrong, but Garner hasn't caught a pass this year. I recall three throws to him: he was wide open vs UVA and dropped the ball; he was wide open and got held by unc (pass interference), and
he dropped a ball last night when wide open....to be sure, things happen when he's in the game, but as a wide receiver he needs to actually catch the ball.

devildeac
11-18-2018, 01:59 PM
ACC stats: Duke is:

last (14th) in punt return average yards
11th in kickoff return average yards
8th out of 11 in FG%. (3 teams did not meet minimum # of attempts).
Longest FG made - 35 yards. Too much trouble to check if that’s the worst in ACC, but likely.
8th in net punting average.

And unfortunately, this may be better than last year, but overall near bottom of ACC

Thanks for researching! The punt/KO return averages show how much we miss Wilson, Edwards and Crowder :(. Pretty mediocre (or worse than mediocre) overall.

wavedukefan70s
11-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Clemson is not going to be called for that at Clemson. If you think that's bad wait till you go to a highschool game with one of the Clemson coaches in the stands watching his kid play.16 penalties to 3.refs are not going against them in that part of south Carolina.

jv001
11-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Thanks for researching! The punt/KO return averages show how much we miss Wilson, Edwards and Crowder :(. Pretty mediocre (or worse than mediocre) overall.

I agree. TJ has made some very questionable decisions in returning punts and in the game Saturday, it looks like he's now developed a stop, look and go type of return. I kept thinking, "TJ you are going to get yourself killed". I really like Bobo but I hope he has more speed than it looks on TV. If he does, I think he will be All ACC level receiver. Love his hands. I guess the big question is what will Daniel Jones do and whether we can have a healthy year. GoDuke!

budwom
11-19-2018, 09:44 AM
I agree. TJ has made some very questionable decisions in returning punts and in the game Saturday, it looks like he's now developed a stop, look and go type of return. I kept thinking, "TJ you are going to get yourself killed". I really like Bobo but I hope he has more speed than it looks on TV. If he does, I think he will be All ACC level receiver. Love his hands. I guess the big question is what will Daniel Jones do and whether we can have a healthy year. GoDuke!

at least one not insignificant improvement is that Rahming is catching the ball this year (last year he cost us about half a mile in field position letting punts roll)...
Punt returns need to be fast, shifty and have good hands...Bobo has the hands and speed, but he's not really built for shiftiness...

jv001
11-19-2018, 09:53 AM
at least one not insignificant improvement is that Rahming is catching the ball this year (last year he cost us about half a mile in field position letting punts roll)...
Punt returns need to be fast, shifty and have good hands...Bobo has the hands and speed, but he's not really built for shiftiness...

Yes, TJ has improved in not letting the punt roll and costing us in field position. Good to hear from someone that has seen Bobo in person say he has good speed. He sure has the hands. That boy doesn't drop the ball. I can't say that about some of the other receivers. It seems like they hear footsteps and tighten up before the ball reaches their hands.
Thanks for the information on Bobo's speed. I'm excited about his future with Duke.
GoDuke!

devildeac
11-19-2018, 09:58 AM

This, indeed. Even though we're last in punt return average as arnie researched upthread, most of us are very thankful it's not "negative" yardage as it was in 2017. I can't recall Bobo's 40 yard dash time when we were recruiting him but I thought it was rather fleet. His "failure" to return the cheats onside kick with just over a minute to go this year was a bit disappointing until I found out after the game on DBR that he was playing with an ankle sprain and it was a smart play at the time to take the "slide" to avoid a fumble and hope that we could run out the clock.

jimsumner
11-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Rahming was an outstanding prep punt returner and I've been both surprised and disappointed that he hasn't been able to transfer that to the college level.

But we shouldn't discount the possibility that Duke's blocking on punt returns simply hasn't been very good.

I would hope for a robust competition for that spot this spring. I think Bobo will be a big-time asset as a receiver. But I'm not convinced he's the answer at the PR spot. I just don't think he has home-run potential.

budwom
11-19-2018, 10:55 AM
^ yeah, I don't think he has that initial burst/shiftiness that's required to avoid the first tackler or two...

wilson
11-19-2018, 11:13 AM

Looking only at WR, we are returning 25 receptions for 358 yards from this year's squad, with basically all of that coming from Bobo and Young.One might say that, after this season, a number of receivers will be...dropping off the roster.
I'll see myself out.

elvis14
11-19-2018, 02:48 PM
I heard at lunch today that there were 9 dropped passes....for Clemson. I haven't verified that in anyway but I know one was a sure fire TD throw right in the hands/bread basket of #10. Maybe it's contagious!

devildeac
11-19-2018, 02:52 PM
I heard at lunch today that there were 9 dropped passes...for Clemson. I haven't verified that in anyway but I know one was a sure fire TD throw right in the hands/bread basket of #10. Maybe it's contagious!

Yea, but, but, but, how many Clemson receivers have used their helmet as protection so they wouldn't have to catch a pass?

:rolleyes::mad:

Jim3k
11-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Rahming was an outstanding prep punt returner and I've been both surprised and disappointed that he hasn't been able to transfer that to the college level.

But we shouldn't discount the possibility that Duke's blocking on punt returns simply hasn't been very good.

I would be very interested to know what instructions Rahming was given WRT punt returns. He was the team's leading receiver on an injury-plagued team. Could it be that he was told that discretion was the better part...? After all, with Jones at QB, the offense was supposed to be dynamic and reliable. I understand that he didn't have Crowder-like skills, but still, you don't want your leading receiver taking risky open field hard tackles.

elvis14
11-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Yea, but, but, but, how many Clemson receivers have used their helmet as protection so they wouldn't have to catch a pass?

:rolleyes::mad:

I don't think you understand the technique attempted there. The idea is to get the ball wedge itself into your face mask in the larger space near the eyes. Because the only thing cooler than a one handed catch is a zero handed catch. Plus it leaves both hands free to ward off defenders! :p

jimsumner
11-19-2018, 03:17 PM
I would be very interested to know what instructions Rahming was given WRT punt returns. He was the team's leading receiver on an injury-plagued team. Could it be that he was told that discretion was the better part...? After all, with Jones at QB, the offense was supposed to be dynamic and reliable. I understand that he didn't have Crowder-like skills, but still, you don't want your leading receiver taking risky open field hard tackles.

I'm pretty sure Duke hasn't instructed Rahming to dial it back on punt returns. If that were the case, Duke would have given Bobo, Hudzick, Fuller, someone else, more opportunities.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2018, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty sure Duke hasn't instructed Rahming to dial it back on punt returns. If that were the case, Duke would have given Bobo, Hudzick, Fuller, someone else, more opportunities.

Yup.

Unlike last year, most of Rahming's fair catches to my eye have been sort of necessary. He does not have the quick side shift to make the first guy miss, and it seems that the kicking team is usually well-positioned when he catches it. He needs room to make that first juke, and our blockers do not seem able to give him that for one reason or another.

That's to my very untrained eye, at least.

Last year was abysmal. This year has been serviceable but far from impressive. But if there was a better candidate, I suspect we would have seen it in droves by now.

devildeac
11-19-2018, 03:34 PM
I don't think you understand the technique attempted there. The idea is to get the ball wedge itself into your face mask in the larger space near the eyes. Because the only thing cooler than a one handed catch is a zero handed catch. Plus it leaves both hands free to ward off defenders! :p

Only with the NE Patriots could you expect a deflating stunt like that. :o:rolleyes:

Or maybe with one of these:

Avvocato
11-21-2018, 01:24 AM
A little late but a few post game thoughts. First, sounds weird, but was pretty proud of the effort in a 35-6 loss. Naturally, we played well in the first half, kept it close, but really, in the end, talent won out. They just wore us down, made some adjustments, and did what they were supposed to do. With that, still plenty to be encouraged by. For example, I actually thought the offensive line held up better than I thought. Admittedly, the bar was set low, and DJ took a ton of hits. But Clemson has the best defensive line in college football, and I expected a jail break each snap. We were able to move the ball much of the first half. I think our offensive line just got worn out.

I thought Britain Brown, though only playing sparingly, played as well as he did in the Army opener. He ran strong and explosive.

Many on these boards talk about Bobo, but I thought Philyaw-Johnson made two tough catches. I was very surprised by the catches he made in traffic. I was very encouraged by his play. I hope he is okay and we get to see some more of him this season.

While we have have been decimated by injuries on defense, I thought the reserves played very well. Of course, we were helped by many Clemson drops, but I thought we attacked their running game, tackled very well for the most part, and covered okay. You are never going to completely shut down that team, but those guys stepped up and played as well as I could have hoped.

I was also happy to see the team step up, show up, not be intimidated, and play well. They came out of the locker room playing to win. I think the coaches also prepared the guys well and for the most part called a good game. We’ll always argue about stuff and complain as fans, but I thought we had pretty good game plans. We just played a better team that took over in the second half.

Great effort overall. It was fun playing Clemson on a Saturday night in Death Valley. Now time to take care of business against Wake. Don’t follow up the Clemson game with a letdown against the Deacs. Let’s finish the regular season strong, get to 8-4, and work our way to a nice bowl match-up.

Avvocato
11-21-2018, 01:37 AM
A little late but a few post game thoughts. First, sounds weird, but was pretty proud of the effort in a 35-6 loss. Naturally, we played well in the first half, kept it close, but really, in the end, talent won out. They just wore us down, made some adjustments, and did what they were supposed to do. With that, still plenty to be encouraged by. For example, I actually thought the offensive line held up better than I thought. Admittedly, the bar was set low, and DJ took a ton of hits. But Clemson has the best defensive line in college football, and I expected a jail break each snap. We were able to move the ball much of the first half. I think our offensive line just got worn out.

I thought Britain Brown, though only playing sparingly, played as well as he did in the Army opener. He ran strong and explosive.

Many on these boards talk about Bobo, but I thought Philyaw-Johnson made two tough catches. I was very surprised by the catches he made in traffic. I was very encouraged by his play. I hope he is okay and we get to see some more of him this season.

While we have have been decimated by injuries on defense, I thought the reserves played very well. Of course, we were helped by many Clemson drops, but I thought we attacked their running game, tackled very well for the most part, and covered okay. You are never going to completely shut down that team, but those guys stepped up and played as well as I could have hoped.

I was also happy to see the team step up, show up, not be intimidated, and play well. They came out of the locker room playing to win. I think the coaches also prepared the guys well and for the most part called a good game. We’ll always argue about stuff and complain as fans, but I thought we had pretty good game plans. We just played a better team that took over in the second half.

Great effort overall. It was fun playing Clemson on a Saturday night in Death Valley. Now time to take care of business against Wake. Don’t follow up the Clemson game with a letdown against the Deacs. Let’s finish the regular season strong, get to 8-4, and work our way to a nice bowl match-up.

Forgot to mention that I thought Lummie Young was all over the field and made many tough hits. I liked what I saw from him.