PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Nevada

JasonEvans
11-05-2018, 11:59 AM
I'm going to start this now but I double-dog guarantee you we will all be talking about it come February and March.

Nevada is going to present a real problem for the NCAA selection committee. There is going to be a legit chance they go undefeated on the season. Part of that is because they have a really good team, but part of it is because they don't play many decent teams this season. According to KenPom, here are their toughest opponents:

#53 Arizona St. in LA
#56 BYU at Nevada
#61 Southern Cal in LA
#65 San Diego St (2x, once at home and once on the road)
#67 Loyola Chicago in Chicago
#73 Utah in Utah
#88 Southern Illinois in Las Vegas, but not at Nevada's home court (note- this is a Holiday tournament, Nevada could face #142 UMass instead)

Obviously, we have no idea how good theses teams will end up being but it is entirely possible Nevada won't play a single tournament team this regular season. How can you possibly compare that to the schedules that Duke, Kansas, Virginia, Villanova, Kentucky, and the such will play? Even Gonzaga has legit tests like potentially Iowa St and Duke in Maui plus Creighton, Tennessee, UNC, and a couple other likely tournament teams. I get that Gonzaga won't really be tested much once conference play starts in January, but Nevada is just a whole different story not playing a single top 50 team all year.

So, when the Woflpack enter March with 0 or maybe 1 loss, feel free to look back on this thread while we all grumble about the fact that they are going to get the #1 seed in the West despite playing a schedule that Virginia Tech could have gone undefeated against.

-Jason "go Bobby!! Beat Nevada and prove me wrong!" Evans

JasonEvans
11-05-2018, 12:02 PM
As an aside, I'd love to hear from our resident NC State fans about how much it stings that Caleb and Cody Martin left and now look like All-American caliber players.

ChillinDuke
11-05-2018, 12:05 PM
I'm going to start this now but I double-dog guarantee you we will all be talking about it come February and March.

Nevada is going to present a real problem for the NCAA selection committee. There is going to be a legit chance they go undefeated on the season. Part of that is because they have a really good team, but part of it is because they don't play many decent teams this season. According to KenPom, here are their toughest opponents:

#53 Arizona St. in LA
#56 BYU at Nevada
#61 Southern Cal in LA
#73 Utah in Utah
#88 Southern Illinois in Las Vegas, but not at Nevada's home court (note- this is a Holiday tournament, Nevada could face #142 UMass instead)

Obviously, we have no idea how good theses teams will end up being but it is entirely possible Nevada won't play a single tournament team this regular season. How can you possibly compare that to the schedules that Duke, Kansas, Virginia, Villanova, Kentucky, and the such will play? Even Gonzaga has legit tests like potentially Iowa St and Duke in Maui plus Creighton, Tennessee, UNC, and a couple other likely tournament teams. I get that Gonzaga won't really be tested much once conference play starts in January, but Nevada is just a whole different story not playing a single top 50 team all year.

So, when the Woflpack enter March with 0 or maybe 1 loss, feel free to look back on this thread while we all grumble about the fact that they are going to get the #1 seed in the West despite playing a schedule that Virginia Tech could have gone undefeated against.

I'm gonna go contra on this and guess that Nevada will lose a few games this year (pre-Tourney). I bet they lose 3. If I had to semi-pick em, I'd guess USC, one of the SDSU games, and one other.

- Chillin

WillJ
11-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Nevada will be hard to seed, but I don't think that's a big problem. That's the beauty of the NCAA tournament. Larry Bird's 1979 Indiana State team and the 1976 Rutgers team with Phil Sellers and Eddie Jordan both went undefeated in the regular season against weak schedules and ended up getting to the Final Four, but it wasn't a controversy because they had to beat some good teams in the tournament to get there.

PackMan97
11-05-2018, 12:19 PM
As an aside, I'd love to hear from our resident NC State fans about how much it stings that Caleb and Cody Martin left and now look like All-American caliber players.

As an aside, I think the resident NC State fans would first love to tell you how it is the Wolf Pack of Nevada and the Wolfpack of NC State. Two words for NV, one word for State. ;)

I'm very happy for the Martin twins. I don't think they would have developed into the players they are now if they had stayed with Gottfried. Congratulations to them. I'm (almost) always happy to see former players do well.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a team or two on their schedule sneak into the top 50.

budwom
11-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Nevada will be hard to seed, but I don't think that's a big problem. That's the beauty of the NCAA tournament. Larry Bird's 1979 Indiana State team and the 1976 Rutgers team with Phil Sellers and Eddie Jordan both went undefeated in the regular season against weak schedules and ended up getting to the Final Four, but it wasn't a controversy because they had to beat some good teams in the tournament to get there.

yup, they (Indiana State) got a number one seed...and Nevada won't go undefeated anyway...and if they do, good for them. KenPom will tell the committee where to seed them, and Bob's your uncle.

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2018, 01:02 PM
They can huddle with the UCF football team and discuss the merits of not getting respect.
I doubt very much they go undefeated though. Even if they survive the season without a loss, they have to go through their tournament, which they entered as the number one seed last year and got trounced in the semis by 5th seed (and eventual champion) San Diego State, 73-90.

uh_no
11-05-2018, 01:07 PM

#53 Arizona St. in LA
#56 BYU at Nevada
#61 Southern Cal in LA
#73 Utah in Utah

KP has them at 3 losses and 4% chance undefeated. that's pretty solid. It's all a crapshoot with the committee, but I think of late they've liked to penalize teams for not scheduling tough. I can see that happening here.

JasonEvans
11-05-2018, 01:18 PM
KP has them at 3 losses and 4% chance undefeated.

Does anyone else in the country have even a 1% chance at going undefeated? I doubt it. Gonzaga might be close.

Wander
11-05-2018, 01:21 PM

No reason to grumble. It's a Sweet 16 team from last year that returns their important players and adds a 5 star recruit. That's a formula that is clearly deserving of a Final Four contender, and if they make it through the season undefeated (which I doubt they will) they will definitely deserve a 1 seed. The Mountain West may not be as good as the power conferences, but they are not a low-level league where an undefeated record shouldn't be greatly rewarded.

I'm not sure Virginia Tech would even be favored in all those games.

AGDukesky
11-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Not a big issue to me unless maybe Duke is battling for the last 1 seed. However, I’m generally okay with an undefeated team getting the benefit of the doubt. It isn’t like Nevada would get homecourt advantage all the way through the tournament and unlike football all the contenders have a chance to prove it on the court/field...

brevity
11-05-2018, 02:17 PM
#88 Southern Illinois in Las Vegas, but not at Nevada's home court

I should hope not. Nevada's home court is in Reno.

A bit early for any hand wringing about a possible undefeated season. If it were so easy to accomplish, it would happen more often. Should Nevada somehow accomplish it, I have no problem rewarding their players with a 1 seed. The key phrase is "rewarding their players," the people who won the games on the court, not some athletic director stiff who scheduled the games 2 or 3 years ago. I understand that the Selection Committee is also full of administration stiffs, but I will not understand why so many fans also prefer that detached-fantasy-owner perspective. It already ruined college football, and it threatens to ruin college basketball.

For what it's worth, Andy Katz -- now with NCAA.com -- has prepared a preseason bracket (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-01/andy-katz-filled-out-preseason-ncaa-tournament-bracket-lets?utm_campaign=monday&utm_medium=mbk&utm_source=11-05%20newsletter&utm_content=link-1) where he gives Nevada a 2 seed. He has them losing in the Elite Eight to eventual champion Kentucky.

jimsumner
11-05-2018, 02:20 PM
They can huddle with the UCF football team and discuss the merits of not getting respect.
I doubt very much they go undefeated though. Even if they survive the season without a loss, they have to go through their tournament, which they entered as the number one seed last year and got trounced in the semis by 5th seed (and eventual champion) San Diego State, 73-90.

This lack of respect hurts one of these teams a lot more than it hurts the other.

BigWayne
11-05-2018, 03:05 PM
I should hope not. Nevada's home court is in Reno.

East coast bias. Having been out west for a while now, we still find it shocking how many people from the east can't comprehend the size of western states.

Wahoo2000
11-05-2018, 03:07 PM

#53 Arizona St. in LA
#56 BYU at Nevada
#61 Southern Cal in LA
#73 Utah in Utah

I'm just thankful they're IN the west. If they were based on the east coast, and it came down to one of UVA/DUKE/UNC/NOVA/etc getting shipped out west because a team played a weak schedule and dominated it....... :mad: :mad: :mad:

-jk
11-05-2018, 03:22 PM
East coast bias. Having been out west for a while now, we still find it shocking how many people from the east can't comprehend the size of western states.

Well, if you'd just fill them up...

-jk

DarkstarWahoo
11-05-2018, 03:31 PM

And that they went from the Wolfpack to the Wolf Pack!

EDIT: Credit to PackMan, who probably thought of this years ago, for saying this first.

budwom
11-05-2018, 04:00 PM

I'm much more concerned about their straight line borders, and some of them are even square! Like they were laid out by kids in the third grade...

Turk
11-05-2018, 04:11 PM
No reason to grumble. It's a Sweet 16 team from last year that returns their important players and adds a 5 star recruit. That's a formula that is clearly deserving of a Final Four contender, and if they make it through the season undefeated (which I doubt they will) they will definitely deserve a 1 seed. The Mountain West may not be as good as the power conferences, but they are not a low-level league where an undefeated record shouldn't be greatly rewarded.

I'm not sure Virginia Tech would even be favored in all those games.

I can think of another example: St. Joseph's 2004 team featuring Jameer Nelson and Delonte West. Went undefeated in A-10 regular season, stunk against Xavier in tourney, and got #1 seed anyway, causing all sorts of wailing hysterics from fans of mediocre power conference teams such as the Virginia Techs of the world. The Hawks lost a close game to Okla St in regional final, so they showed they had Final Four caliber talent.

Wiki also says Wichita State was the last team to go undefeated in 2014, and they got a #1 seed too.

I personally would love it if Nevada made a similar run and earned a #1 seed in the tourney. I think that's a good thing, and in fact one of the dozens of reasons that college basketball is exponentially superior to college football.

75Crazie
11-05-2018, 04:12 PM
I'm much more concerned about their straight line borders, and some of them are even square! Like they were laid out by kids in the third grade...
I take some pride in being a resident of a rectangular state, which was created rectangular in spite of the obvious natural boundary of the continental divide. I could hardly begin to explain the shape of the state of my youth, Virginia (either before or after the secession of West Virginia), beyond the obvious boundary of the Potomac River. And wth with the eastern shore part?

Ian
11-05-2018, 04:18 PM

#53 Arizona St. in LA
#56 BYU at Nevada
#61 Southern Cal in LA
#73 Utah in Utah

But isn't it all about the Quadrant I wins now? They will basically have no chance to get any QI wins, so I can't see them getting an #1 seed regardless.

BandAlum83
11-05-2018, 04:20 PM
And that they went from the Wolfpack to the Wolf Pack!

EDIT: Credit to PackMan, who probably thought of this years ago, for saying this first.

So if PackMan went to Nevada, Would he be Pack Man?

budwom
11-05-2018, 04:44 PM
I take some pride in being a resident of a rectangular state, which was created rectangular in spite of the obvious natural boundary of the continental divide. I could hardly begin to explain the shape of the state of my youth, Virginia (either before or after the secession of West Virginia), beyond the obvious boundary of the Potomac River. And wth with the eastern shore part?

I kind of enjoy reading about all the bizarre arcane reasons why eastern state borders are where they are...for example it would appear that Vermont's border with Canada is the 45th parallel, but it isn't...well, actually they thought it was...the Treaty of Paris in 1783 set the border there....the United States built a perfectly nice fort just to the west of Vermont in Rouses Point, NY (extra credit factoid: I believe it was there that Phil, Lizz and Paige of The Americans fled the country on Amtrak, oops, Paige hopped off the train!)...which would have been fine except it turned out the border there and in Vermont had been surveyed wrong, they had built the fort in Canada...now widely known as Fort Blunder...Sorry!
So credit bad surveying with our international border. One (moi, anyway) gets the impression that in some cases, the western state borders were drawn up by a clerk in Washington DC who figured there was nothing out there
by dirt, mountains and coyotes, so why not pull out the ruler and draw some straight lines?

bullettoothtony
11-05-2018, 04:50 PM
They'll likely be a 2 or 3 seed but I doubt I'd want to see them in that spot in the Sweet 16.

Spanarkel
11-05-2018, 05:21 PM
UDub defeated Nevada in a charity exhibition 91-73 on 10/21 in Reno. Huskies played that contest without key contributor Noah Dickerson.

CameronBornAndBred
11-05-2018, 05:24 PM
UDub defeated Nevada in a charity exhibition 91-73 on 10/21 in Reno. Huskies played that contest without key contributor Noah Dickerson.
A sign that this thread will be in the Long Forgotten bin soon. (Excluding the first game they get beat, then it might rival Duke's win over Pity U State)

MarkD83
11-05-2018, 07:13 PM
So if PackMan went to Nevada, Would he be Pack Man?

He would be Brat PackMan and would need a cool hat and have to croon....

BandAlum83
11-05-2018, 07:20 PM
He would be Brat PackMan and would need a cool hat and have to croon...

Or Brat Pack Man

TexHawk
11-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Wiki also says Wichita State was the last team to go undefeated in 2014, and they got a #1 seed too.

The Shockers didn't beat any ranked teams that year, but did have a noncon win over Tennesee, who made the S16 and were top 10 KP. Wichita State did have more national cred than Nevada, having made the F4 the previous season, which likely helped with the #1 seed.

jimsumner
11-06-2018, 04:19 PM
I kind of enjoy reading about all the bizarre arcane reasons why eastern state borders are where they are...for example it would appear that Vermont's border with Canada is the 45th parallel, but it isn't...well, actually they thought it was...the Treaty of Paris in 1783 set the border there...the United States built a perfectly nice fort just to the west of Vermont in Rouses Point, NY (extra credit factoid: I believe it was there that Phil, Lizz and Paige of The Americans fled the country on Amtrak, oops, Paige hopped off the train!)...which would have been fine except it turned out the border there and in Vermont had been surveyed wrong, they had built the fort in Canada...now widely known as Fort Blunder...Sorry!
So credit bad surveying with our international border. One (moi, anyway) gets the impression that in some cases, the western state borders were drawn up by a clerk in Washington DC who figured there was nothing out there
by dirt, mountains and coyotes, so why not pull out the ruler and draw some straight lines?

North Carolina and South Carolina are still trying to figure it out.

https://abc7ny.com/news/border-of-north-and-south-carolina-shifted-on-january-1st/1678605/

budwom
11-06-2018, 04:55 PM
North Carolina and South Carolina are still trying to figure it out.

https://abc7ny.com/news/border-of-north-and-south-carolina-shifted-on-january-1st/1678605/

that is just plain bizarre...can't imagine the ramifications of finding yourself living in a different state in the same place. Not trivial...taxes, insurance, all kinds of stuff, drivers licenses, ack!
We've got some border buildings up here that straddle the U.S.-Canada border, go in the front door in the U.S., walk out the back into Canada.

DarkstarWahoo
11-06-2018, 05:01 PM
that is just plain bizarre...can't imagine the ramifications of finding yourself living in a different state in the same place. Not trivial...taxes, insurance, all kinds of stuff, drivers licenses, ack!
We've got some border buildings up here that straddle the U.S.-Canada border, go in the front door in the U.S., walk out the back into Canada.

It's not a state border, but I live just outside Richmond, about a 6-iron from the county line. Our neighbors across the street have the line going through their backyard and pay prorated taxes to both localities.

Believe it or not, there are benefits to it - the city sucks up leaf piles for free while the county doesn't. So if they blow their leaves to the correct side of their property, they'll get picked up.

sagegrouse
11-06-2018, 05:13 PM

I have a friend who grew up on the NC-SC border. He had a SC mailing address, but he actually lived in NC. He went to Clemson on in-state tuition, and later became a distinguished physician in Charlotte after graduating from MUSC -- in-state, of course.

-jk
11-06-2018, 05:52 PM
I have a friend who grew up on the NC-SC border. He had a SC mailing address, but he actually lived in NC. He went to Clemson on in-state tuition, and later became a distinguished physician in Charlotte after graduating from MUSC -- in-state, of course.

And that bit of NC on the VA side of Lake Gaston - and Point Roberts in Washington, where Canada is a lot closer to everything else...

-jk

brevity
11-06-2018, 06:13 PM

They're like the mullets of architecture: business in the front, party in the back.